Author Topic: The Internet Sewing Circle  (Read 40918 times)

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
The Internet Sewing Circle
« on: January 12, 2015, 03:41:51 PM »
There are several of us over in Journal World who would like to add various sewing/craft activities to our lives.  I have volunteered to maintain an Internet Sewing Circle thread here.  My plan is to devote at least two hours/week to sewing tasks.  I started today by sewing a button on one of the Hub's shirts that and getting my sewing machine set up and ready for the next task which is going to be mending a pair of underwear using fabric from a worn t-shirt.

I am amused to report that the cat has apparently been storing his toys inside the sewing machine cabinet.  I found 8 of them tucked up inside on the little ledge. That explains why he has taken to sleeping on it.  He is guarding his stash.

Please feel free to join in.

irishbear99

• Bristles
Re: The Internet Sewing Circle
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 04:17:43 PM »
I have no idea how to work a sewing machine, but I love working on crafts and would like to join in this thread if you don't mind. The hubby and I hare having a "no hobby spending" month, which is forcing me to finish the projects I have laying around the house instead of starting new ones. 

I have a large cross-stitch Christmas tree skirt kit that I bought about 7 years ago (and haven't touched in more than 5) and got about 3/4 the way finished. The hubby inspired me to take it out over the holiday to work on it and it is now almost complete. I just have to finish the French knots and then cut/sew the edges to make the skirt.

My next project is to complete my guest bathroom shower curtain. I found a tablecloth on sale at Target last year that I loved. I added grommets and pinned it to shorten it (it's about 10" too long) but that's as far as I got. I'm going to have to hand stitch the new hem since (as I said above) I have no sewing machine. I'm hoping to finish that this weekend.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:36:41 PM »
I'll join in!  Love sewing and other crafts.

Yesterday I finished up a gift for my husband.  I embroidered him a silly banner for Christmas, but made the channel for the hanging rod too narrow.  So yesterday I ripped out the old channel and put in a new wider one.  Now it can be hung.

I have tons of other things on my list to do.  First is a recliner cover that my mother wants.  I have the fabric and the measurements, just need to get it done.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 04:52:36 PM »
Ooh, I'll join! My goal recently has been to finish of my backlog of projects of varying ages. I initially had a rule where if I finished one I could start another, but after some decluttering elsewhere realised that I need the total number to be lower! I made a little desk tub for my SO that looks like a Minecraft slime over the break, complete with plastic outer to help it stand up. Now the leftovers are free to stick back in the stash! I have several skirts to sew and mending items on my list, so support is good! I did the "use up craft supplies in 2014" last year but did not get far...

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 04:57:30 PM »
I'll join! I have no problem spending multiple hours a day knitting, but I really need to do some sewing. I have the fabric for living room drapes but not the will...

I have a side gig, of sorts, knitting samples for a local yarn store. Thing is, I get paid in store credit, so that just enables me to start more projects! 

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 05:50:41 PM »
I will join.  I have two pillows to sew covers for and they are hanging over my head.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 05:57:58 PM »
Great idea!  Yesterday I took a pair of red wide leg jeans and turned them into skinny jeans, and also turned four of my long sleeve race t-shirts that fit funky and turned them into short sleeve shirts.

Next on the agenda is making master bedroom curtain sheers out of a piece of fabric I bought a few years back.

Also, I have a pair of very pricey leather-butted riding breeches that I bought off eBay.  They are too skinny through the leg, so I need to summon the courage to cut them open and add a racing stripe up the side to give them another inch or two for my legs.

I kind of hate sewing because it's so time consuming.  Used to love it when I was a teenager stranded out in the country with nothing better to do.

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 11:04:02 PM »
So many things to do! Shortening a pair of jeans and a pair of yoga pants. Shortening the bedroom curtains (they're pinned right now - so ghetto). Taking in a handful of tops. Mending all the holes in DH's wool biking jerseys.

If anyone has any good tips for darning small holes in wool items, I'm happy to hear them. Fortunately they're bike clothes, so they don't have to look nice. And by the way, does anyone know what causes those holes? I sort of wondered if it was because they're exposed to so much sweat and maybe aren't washed timely, but I don't know if that theory is correct.

deborah

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 01:23:45 AM »
Most important project: I taught my nieces to embroider pencil cases during their holidays - I need to sew them up and send them off.

Next most important project: french knickers.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 02:05:19 AM »
I'm in.

Most important project: finishing the queen sized quilt for my brother and his wife.  Was meant to be a wedding gift, but plans got a bit derailed by unexpected (but welcome) pregnancy and associated house sale/purchase/move and exhaustion.

Now baby is due in about 4 weeks, and I know if I don't get this quilt DONE, it might be years before they get it.

Achieved over the weekend: basted layers together.  Pondering of quilting design begun.

Next steps:
(1) Locate quilting needles for machine, quilting thread, and choose the simplest quilting plan rather than getting carried away with ideas that are just going to make the project take longer.  (plus side: they both love quilts, but aren't connoisseurs, so a simple straight-line quilting will be just fine).

(2) screw up my courage and just sew it.  If I'm honest, I've been procrastinating because it's only the second quilt this large that I've attempted, and the previous one was a scrap quilt for the spare bedroom - not a wedding gift made from new (and expensive!) fabrics.  And I'm scared of messing it up.  But I need to tell myself that unfinished is a *worse* thing than imperfect and just get on with it.

JoanOfSnark

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 02:27:19 AM »
I have a pair of very pricey leather-butted riding breeches that I bought off eBay.  They are too skinny through the leg, so I need to summon the courage to cut them open and add a racing stripe up the side to give them another inch or two for my legs.

I have the same situation, but with my dad's old motorcycle jacket. He's a pretty small dude, so the shoulders fit perfectly, but my hips, as they say, don't lie. I have the liner seam ripped open and ready to go, and am waiting on the Jersey I rodered for the side panels to come in before I rip open the leather... I'm a bit worried my machine won't be able to take it, but even then I imagine a tailor would be able to sew 4 straight lines for me on the cheap with a proper high-octane machine if it comes to that.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 05:51:18 AM »
I am in!

On Sunday I turned plastic malt sacks from the homebrew store into tote bags with handles.  Yesterday I started my sewing circle with a group of kids.  First project is a pillow case to help them become acquainted with a sewing machine and sewing vocabulary. 

When not sewing, I am knitting (as my handle on this board suggests).

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 06:28:14 AM »
Perfect timing! I've been wanting to spend more time in my sewing room, but have been feeling uninspired. But I've got a lot of unfinished projects that have been hanging over my head, and that's probably the real reason I haven't been sewing. I'd feel too guilty starting a new project before finishing up the more mundane stuff.

So for this week, I've got some mending to do! And a quick fix to the work apron I made my spouse for Christmas.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 06:53:06 AM »
(2) screw up my courage and just sew it.  If I'm honest, I've been procrastinating because it's only the second quilt this large that I've attempted, and the previous one was a scrap quilt for the spare bedroom - not a wedding gift made from new (and expensive!) fabrics.  And I'm scared of messing it up.  But I need to tell myself that unfinished is a *worse* thing than imperfect and just get on with it.
Imperfect shows that it was handmade!

I'm a red panda

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 06:55:47 AM »
I'm a quilter, I usually spend about 10 hours a week working on quilting.  This year I am going to try to do everything from scraps (collected from other quilters)- as the cost can get quite high!

I also really like fabric dyeing.

Last week I didn't do any quilting because I was knitting.
Additionally, I have 2 pairs of jeans I really need to hem, but I truly hate hemming, even though it is pretty easy once I measure and just do it.

Angie55

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2015, 07:00:44 AM »
Do you have plan you worked off of for the grain sacks? I've been collecting them for awhile thinking they'd make great bags. To be honest, I actually kept them initially thinking I could make them into panniers but I think that's way too complicated for me to figure out...

I have so many unfinished sewing projects its ridiculous. I have yet to sew curtains for my camper for two years! I guess more than a few people have seen our business...

What I hate about sewing is the pickup/putaway or deal with the lingering setup making me guilty until I finish. I have no dedicated spot for my sewing machine so it has to sit on the dining room table. Maybe I'll commit to having it out 1-2 weeks and finish everything.

Grain Bags
Teardrop Trailer Curtains
Infinity Scarves

Nancy

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 07:01:13 AM »
I'm in (although I've had a terrible track record with sewing challenges). However, I'm finally going to get to the languishing projects or get rid of them!!

Horsepoor, I took in my pants last night, but lost the pockets. I used a tutorial where you wear the pants inside out, pin them on the outer seam and then sew. Do you use a different method? Do you take them in from the inseam?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 07:15:18 AM »
I'm in (although I've had a terrible track record with sewing challenges). However, I'm finally going to get to the languishing projects or get rid of them!!

Horsepoor, I took in my pants last night, but lost the pockets. I used a tutorial where you wear the pants inside out, pin them on the outer seam and then sew. Do you use a different method? Do you take them in from the inseam?

Yes, I did the same thing but with the inseam; they only needed to be taken in to just above the knee because they were already snug until the leg started to flare.  They came out with a little bit of a pucker where the new seam meets the old seam, but pretty sure I'm the only one who will ever notice.

Worsted Skeins

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 07:21:55 AM »
Do you have plan you worked off of for the grain sacks? I've been collecting them for awhile thinking they'd make great bags. To be honest, I actually kept them initially thinking I could make them into panniers but I think that's way too complicated for me to figure out...

I have so many unfinished sewing projects its ridiculous. I have yet to sew curtains for my camper for two years! I guess more than a few people have seen our business...

What I hate about sewing is the pickup/putaway or deal with the lingering setup making me guilty until I finish. I have no dedicated spot for my sewing machine so it has to sit on the dining room table. Maybe I'll commit to having it out 1-2 weeks and finish everything.

Grain Bags
Teardrop Trailer Curtains
Infinity Scarves

I have created my own tote bag method but it is pretty similar to the Instructables tutorial. For handles I am cutting a 4 by 20 inch rectangle.  Fold in half then fold each long side in again so make a strip that is about one inch by 20 inches, four layers thick.  I attach the handles using the Morsbag method.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Feed-Bag-Tote-Bag/

http://www.morsbags.com/get-involved/pattern-download-links/

I have used feed sacks before too.  When I get my hands on some more malt sacks I hope to figure out how to make a growler carrier.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 11:38:18 AM »
When I went to the local sewing store to buy a new power cord for my machine, I made an exciting discovery.  They offer a free open sew on Mondays.  I think I may take advantage of this when I get into more complex projects.  Obviously they are looking to sell me stuff and I am perfectly comfortable buying stuff I would have bought anyway from them.  It will be slightly overpriced but cheaper than additional classes.  I have expressed interest in an expensive embroidery unit which I actually don't want at all but trying to sell me one will keep them busy for a while.  Eventually there will be a new foot or something that I actually do want.

TrMama

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »
I'm in too. I used to sew a lot, but then discovered knitting. Now it's a challenge to get motivated to sew up the things I bought supplies for and really need. Last night I put the fly in a pair of pants I'm making. Tonight, I'd like to put the welt pockets in the back.

If anyone has any good tips for darning small holes in wool items, I'm happy to hear them. Fortunately they're bike clothes, so they don't have to look nice. And by the way, does anyone know what causes those holes? I sort of wondered if it was because they're exposed to so much sweat and maybe aren't washed timely, but I don't know if that theory is correct.

Are they maybe due to moths? Is he catching them on something when he rides? In theory, sweat and dirt shouldn't hurt the fabric.

For small holes like that I mend them on the sewing machine by zig zagging back and forth over them a few times (and sometimes in a few different directions) using a short zig zag. If the holes are bigger, you'll need to patch.

When my kids put holes in their clothes I often patch with an applique so it looks like an intentional design feature, rather than a basic repair.

southern granny

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 01:14:57 PM »
I'm in.  My winter project is supposed to be making a t-shirt quilt.  I haven't started yet, I am still looking for a fabric that will work for me.  Hopefully will get started next week.  This week, I took the bedspread from our bed, where the top edge was stained and worn.  I cut off a few inches and hemmed it.  Looks just fine now.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 01:31:00 PM »
Wow, so many of us!  Nice work 2ndTimer!  I'm halfway through making a top, I plan to work on it tomorrow night.  I'm lucky enough to have a spare room that I use as a sewing room, but this time of the year it's really cold in there, so I find it hard to get motivated.

Spruit

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 01:34:12 PM »
Crafting is ongoing, sewing is on my to do list.

Right now, I'm busy knitting a fair isle scarf and hat for my boyfriend. And I have a pair of gloves waiting to be finished. I also have the beginning of a jacket on the pins. And, well, more yarn stash than I can handle.

As for sewing: I have mostly handsewn stuff that needed repair (buttons, loops on coats, rips in fabric etc.) and have gotten pretty good at this. However, I have little experience in machine sewing. Some re-seaming of showercurtains, shortening jeans and other straight-seam stuff. I'd like to broaden my skills and, eventually, get professional looking results. Of course, that will take lots of practice. So this online sewing circle is great for keeping track and exchanging results and challenges along the way.

On the to do list are:
- Ultimate-ultimate goal (maybe at the end of 2015?): refitting dress shirts etc. for boyfriend, who has a long and slender built so is always in a struggle to find proper clothes. Taking in 'normal' fit shirts to fit his body will be a great way to save on clothing costs, as it makes shopping at second hand stores more feasible. In order to make stuff up to this standard, I'll have to be supergood at sewing. So, long term goal ;)

- Ultimate goal (for this winter/spring): making a fancy new cover for the seat of the vintage lounge chair. The old one contains some piping (stuffed seam, of sorts) and a sunken zipper. All new techniques to me, so I need to practice before I dare to use my "good" fabric for this.

- Shortening some jeans with the original hem transfered. I'm rather short, so there are always some pants that need shortening. Never done it this way before, but I really like to look and watched some tutorials on youtube, looks doable.

- refitting a skirt thats two sizes to wide at the waist. This is pretty strait forward, but nice to get these smaller projects done first.

- making some napkins/handkerchiefs out of a worn out bed sheet. Basic stuff, good practice for getting my seaming nice and straight. Nice one to begin with to get to know my new machine. Will start this when I get my machine at the end of the month.

- making pillow covers out of left over fabric from the lounge chair and curtains. Will make these with a zipper, which is new to me. Will try this in the coming 2-3 months.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 10:25:32 AM »
Wow, so many of us!  Nice work 2ndTimer!  I'm halfway through making a top, I plan to work on it tomorrow night.  I'm lucky enough to have a spare room that I use as a sewing room, but this time of the year it's really cold in there, so I find it hard to get motivated.

Hi MarcherLady:

I keep a little space heater in my sewing room for that very reason.

Rezdent

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 11:33:45 AM »
I'm in.
I have a ton of backlog repairs/projects that I have been avoiding.  I love sewing but I have been avoiding it. I moved my supplies into the middle kids bedroom when he moved out but didnt get unpacked. The machine has to be set up.  Meanwhile the kids have been rummaging through the supply boxes and the repairs have been piling up - it's officially a wreck.

It looks like I might inherit my MILs excellent supplies and stache - and if I don't get on this quick it will overwhelm the chaos with a new level of chaos.

I think I'm going to start with DH's feather pillow.  He's quite attached to the darn old thing.  The ticking has holes worn in it and sheds feathers. I sewed it into an old pillowcase "for now" months ago but the correct fix is to sew a new ticking case and clean the feathers.
I've got everything except motivation for this - ug.  I'm pretty worried about screwing it up because it was made originally by his grandmother when he was a child.  It's a bit odd sized and it looks like the feathers were hand - processed from the family's farm.  Irreplaceable and must be addressed before the feathers are lost.

netskyblue

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 11:51:47 AM »
I don't sew much.  A couple years ago I drafted a pattern for a pair of dress slacks based on one of my current pairs, made a muslin, and made some modifications to the pattern.  I never got around to making a second muslin.  I have the fabric & notions for 2 pairs of pants just sitting around, waiting.  I should work on that pattern some more.

I do knit and crochet.  I finished a knit blanket for my father in law for Christmas, and I'm crocheting a blanket for myself, now.  Just about half done, started right around Christmas.  I'm working on this regularly, and expect to finish it mid-February.

I also have a pair of mittens that's on standby... I knit one, and felted it, and knit the other, but haven't yet felted it.  I need to felt it, let it dry, and then knit ribbed cuffs for both.

Re: sewing, I'm kind of a fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants kind of girl.  All that measuring, checking the grain, measuring again, etc makes me antsy.  I like knitting & crocheting where I can make it up as I go, and rip it out and do it over if I want to.  Plus I hate ironing :P

Ready2Go

• Stubble
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 12:40:42 PM »
Thanks for getting us started 2ndTimer.    I pulled out my sewing machine for the first time in 6 years and found that the power cord is missing.  While I await the new cord,  I have started cutting blocks for my first quilt.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2015, 01:08:03 PM »
Thanks for getting us started 2ndTimer.    I pulled out my sewing machine for the first time in 6 years and found that the power cord is missing.  While I await the new cord,  I have started cutting blocks for my first quilt.

Wow, mine was missing too.  Maybe they eloped

Señora Savings

• Stubble
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2015, 02:09:54 PM »
This is such a fun thread!  It's great to read about your plans. 

I have the material and some of the embroidery done and for an regency dress.  I need to adjust my pattern and sew a mock up before I can get the embroidery done on the fitted pieces.

Smaller goals:
Repair one item from my repair box or finish one project per week.  Most of them need something small like a button, I think it will be easier to do some darning once I've got the pile down.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2015, 03:52:02 PM »
We should start posting pics, at least for the bigger projects.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
We should start posting pics, at least for the bigger projects.

Excellent idea! I'm posting a photo of the tree skirt. It's almost finished. I've completed all the cross stitching and back stitching and just have to add french knots in some of the bushes for berries. And then, of course, the fun part...cutting and sewing it into the shape of a tree skirt. The good news is this thread has inspired me to learn how to sew properly. Next month I plan to purchase a sewing machine and teaching myself how to sew. I'll start off on easy, straight seamed stuff and hopefully will be competent / comfortable enough to finish the tree skirt by next Christmas.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2015, 04:39:40 PM »
Wow, IrishBea99.  That's a lot of cross stitching.  Was it pre-printed or did you work from a pattern?

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2015, 05:02:24 PM »
Indeed, that is beautiful work Irish!

I've never done cross stitch, but I have done a significant amount of free form embroidery.  I like to use stamps sometimes for patterns, or I will draw something onto the fabric with a fabric pencil.

One time I did a background of several square inches all in french knot, never again!

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 10:13:25 PM »
Thank you so much, 2nd Timer and Zaga!

Was it pre-printed or did you work from a pattern?

It was a pattern that came in a kit (Demensions Gold Collection pattern 8641 called "Skater's Villiage Tree Skirt/Table Cover", if anyone's intersted). So thankfully I didn't have to go hunt down the supplies.

I've never done cross stitch, but I have done a significant amount of free form embroidery.  I like to use stamps sometimes for patterns, or I will draw something onto the fabric with a fabric pencil.

I'm in awe of those who can do free form anything. I can follow a pattern (or a recipe for that matter) like no one's business, but if I have to come up with something on my own I draw a blank.

One time I did a background of several square inches all in french knot, never again!

That sounds both absolutely beautiful and horribly tedious. LOL

Can't wait for more folks to post photos of their projects!

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
I have no problem spending multiple hours a day knitting, but I really need to do some sewing.

+1!  I've been knitting a lot recently, but I haven't sewn anything since I made last year's Halloween costumes.  But I just went to an estate sale at a Fabric store...  I got 3 rolls of silk fabric for $4 each!  I'm excited to make some skirts & a dress, but I just didn't have the fabric.  I'm a little scared though.  This fabric is so nice and I've never actually tried to sew a "real" piece of clothing. 

What I hate about sewing is the pickup/putaway or deal with the lingering setup making me guilty until I finish. I have no dedicated spot for my sewing machine so it has to sit on the dining room table.

...And this is my other reason for procrastinating.  The only place big enough for me to work is on the living room floor and the dining room table.  Both are obviously not ideal locations for long term projects. 

Cressida

• Handlebar Stache
  • gender is a hierarchy
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 11:31:10 PM »
Excellent idea! I'm posting a photo of the tree skirt. It's almost finished. I've completed all the cross stitching and back stitching and just have to add french knots in some of the bushes for berries. And then, of course, the fun part...cutting and sewing it into the shape of a tree skirt. The good news is this thread has inspired me to learn how to sew properly. Next month I plan to purchase a sewing machine and teaching myself how to sew. I'll start off on easy, straight seamed stuff and hopefully will be competent / comfortable enough to finish the tree skirt by next Christmas.

That cross stitch looks awesome, and fun! I've never done any embroidery-type projects. Do they cost quite a lot, for the thread and such, or is it relatively inexpensive as hobbies go?

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:59 PM »
That is a beautiful tree skirt!  Well done.

I'm going to mark out the quilting lines on my project this evening (like, in a couple of minutes) and will take a pic of it before I do...

Here 'tis (attached, hopefully):

I have more of the blue fabric to use as the binding, and will do a simple cross-hatching quilting pattern in a dark thread.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:22:01 AM by homehandymum »

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2015, 06:16:48 AM »
Thank you so much, 2nd Timer and Zaga!

Was it pre-printed or did you work from a pattern?

It was a pattern that came in a kit (Demensions Gold Collection pattern 8641 called "Skater's Villiage Tree Skirt/Table Cover", if anyone's intersted). So thankfully I didn't have to go hunt down the supplies.

I'm in awe of those who can do free form anything. I can follow a pattern (or a recipe for that matter) like no one's business, but if I have to come up with something on my own I draw a blank.

That sounds both absolutely beautiful and horribly tedious. LOL

Can't wait for more folks to post photos of their projects!
Well it's not really free form if I use a stamp or draw out the design from a picture!  It's more like coloring inside the lines.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2015, 06:23:33 AM »
Here is a picture of the banner I embroidered for DH for Christmas.  I did large stitches so that I didn't need as many of them.  Also, the fabric was blinding white, I stained it in a strong tea so that it would look aged.  This is based loosely on a section of the Bayeux Tapestry, but of course the words are modern.  I saw something similar on the internet and copied it.

irishbear99

• Bristles
« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2015, 08:38:00 AM »

That cross stitch looks awesome, and fun! I've never done any embroidery-type projects. Do they cost quite a lot, for the thread and such, or is it relatively inexpensive as hobbies go?

Thank you, Cressida. The kits can get quite expensive (I think I paid $65 or so for that one when I bought it 7 years ago). However, it is relatively inexpensive if you skip the kits and buy the materials individually. And, the more you do the cheaper it can get, as you build up your collection of embroidery thread you start to find you already have many of the colors needed for new projects.

wiggam007

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2015, 10:32:46 AM »
I'll get in on this as well as I just dug my sewing machine out again.  Here are a list of current projects:

-I have a box with about half a dozen articles of clothing where there is a hole in the seam or something is coming off.  Need to get those repaired.
-I have a quilt I started about five years ago.  I am not even sure I will be able to finish it since I may have lost some of the pieces I had cut out, but I want to give it a shot anyways.
-Doing a bit of decluttering I found an old pair of worn out jeans.  I guess you could make shorts out of them, but they would be a bit high riding for a guy so I am thinking either doing a denim quilt or rag rug if I can find some other ones or get some for free from craigslist.  Alternatively I might do this (http://aarnilintu.blogspot.ca/2012/03/lettuja-vai-lappuja.html and makes some pot holders out of it since I could use a few.)
-I wanted to make a couple cloth bags rather than buy them from the shop for groceries, but I don't want to buy new fabric so I need to see what I can scrounge up.

2ndTimer

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2015, 10:47:28 AM »
I have no problem spending multiple hours a day knitting, but I really need to do some sewing.

+1!  I've been knitting a lot recently, but I haven't sewn anything since I made last year's Halloween costumes.  But I just went to an estate sale at a Fabric store...  I got 3 rolls of silk fabric for $4 each!  I'm excited to make some skirts & a dress, but I just didn't have the fabric.  I'm a little scared though.  This fabric is so nice and I've never actually tried to sew a "real" piece of clothing. 

What I hate about sewing is the pickup/putaway or deal with the lingering setup making me guilty until I finish. I have no dedicated spot for my sewing machine so it has to sit on the dining room table.

...And this is my other reason for procrastinating.  The only place big enough for me to work is on the living room floor and the dining room table.  Both are obviously not ideal locations for long term projects.

I, too, have some fabric that I am fearful of cutting because it's so nice.   Pretty silly when I write it down.  What will it benefit the world if I die with it uncut and someone throws it out?

AllieVaulter

• Bristles
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2015, 11:54:52 AM »

I, too, have some fabric that I am fearful of cutting because it's so nice.   Pretty silly when I write it down.  What will it benefit the world if I die with it uncut and someone throws it out?

Bwahaha.  I KNOW!  I'm going to keep using these logical arguments to try and squash my fearful self.  :)

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2015, 01:52:11 PM »
@Zaga[/]  I love it :)  I saw a similar one linked to on Captain Awkward and laughed for days.

be

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2015, 05:58:11 PM »
I'll join.  A very kind friend of mine bought me a zig zag attachment for my old singer sewing machine.  It was my grandmothers.  I need to figure out how to use it and stop being such a chicken.  I also have an arm hole that needs to be fixed, and I think zig zagging it would help.

So count me in.  It's the only think I have in my mending pile, although now that I've typed that, I know I'll see all kinds of mending come up.

2ndTimer, how do you mend undergarments with an old t-shirt?  You've got my attention.  You can also pm if need be.  Thanks.

MarcherLady

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #46 on: January 17, 2015, 08:43:11 AM »
I finally sewed.  My top is coming on, today I attached the neck band to the bodice.  The bodice is a plain purple cotton, and the neck band is purple gingham.  This is because I bought too short a piece of the solid colour.  It seemed like a good idea when I bought the gingham, but now I've pieced it together I've realised that the solid bodice with a checked collar looks a bit like the overall I had to wear when I worked in a greengrocer as a teenager.   Hmm.   

wintersun

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2015, 01:55:56 PM »
This challenge has the potential to kill several birds with one stone: 

First it could get things done that have been hanging over me (sew those cushion covers!)
Second it could give me new clothes which might be handy since I am doing the no clothing purchases in 2015 challenge while simultaneously losing weight (Use that gorgeous navy fabric to make a skirt)
Third, as part of my effort in the de-cluttering challenge I can use up fabric that is sitting in bags haunting me. (fancy schmancy duvet cover coming up!)
Fourth, it will help our house to look pulled together without spending much (make those curtains! cover those chair seats!)
Fifth, homemade gifts to save money (sew those sarongs for the family with the fabric bought four years ago!)
Sixth, I can enjoy the decorative cushions that need mending (once they are out of the bag and on a chair).

Actually that is both inspiring and frightening.  We shall see how it goes.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #48 on: January 17, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I have a question for more accomplished sewers...  I have 6 panels that need to be seamed to make two pleated drapes.  I'm covering a triple ganged window, so they're pretty wide panels.  They're cut so the pattern lines up vertically.  Is there a better way to make sure the pattern matches than just pin and hope?  I did that for the first set (two years ago).  Now I want to finish the ones for the other side of the room.  Yes, I've had two vastly different drapes on the opposite side of one room for over two years now.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2015, 05:42:41 PM »
You could use iron on hem tape to get the seams to line up perfectly on the pattern.  If you do that, I would still recommend sewing because the iron on stuff can be pulled apart much easier than sewn together seams.

On the other hand, when drapes are all foldy, the seams tend to not be terribly obvious IMO.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!