Author Topic: The Honey Face Wash Challenge  (Read 6172 times)

MrsK

• Stubble
The Honey Face Wash Challenge
« on: December 03, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »
Huge fan of crunchybetty.com here.  She started the honey face wash challenge.  I have been washing my face every morning with raw organic honey (I bought mine at Trader Joe's) for a few months.  Just spread on some honey, wait a few minutes and then wash off with warm water.  My skin looks amazing!!  I have my mom and dad doing this too and my dad who has quite a bit of skin cancer scars on his face says it is very healing.

So if you use face products or even if you don't and you want great frugal skin--give it a try.  Also, it's nice to have honey around for tea and toast and whatnot.

I love feeling like Winnie the Pooh every morning with my paw in the honey jar.  :)

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
Re: The Honey Face Wash Challenge
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 05:47:13 PM »
Does it work as a makeup remover?  I am looking for more natural skincare routine.

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 05:51:31 PM »
Get your washcloth hot then steam your face for a minute to remove make up and then put honey on a dry face.  The honey cleans, exfoliates and moisturizes.  Then for fun, if you have time, put half and half on your face with a cotton ball, leave on for a few minutes and then rinse with warm water.  Your face will feel like a baby's bottom!

RunHappy

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 06:01:11 PM »
I'll be trying it this weekend!

Mrs. PoP

• Bristles
    • Planting Our Pennies
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 06:06:30 PM »
About how much honey do you use?  Do you just apply with your fingers?

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 06:19:43 PM »
Crunch Betty says that instead of being consumers of beauty products, we must be scientists.  So you need to experiment with how much honey you like.  Put your hair back.  Honey washes easily off skin, but not so much off of hair.  You will be surprised how easily it washes off.  I like a lot of honey.  I like to coat my face and then I make coffee and let it rest on my face.  I have been known to run my finger over my face and treat myself to some licks while I wait for my coffee!

Seriously check out crunchybetty.com for more ideas. 

catpartm3nt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2014, 04:56:30 PM »
I will definitely try this! I've never read crunchybetty.com, but as a religious skincare fanatic I definitely need to spend some time reading through her stuff!

This may be too off-topic, but has anyone had success with other natural skincare approaches in addition to honey (like greek yogurt, oatmeal/avocado masks, OCM, etc.)? I know everyone's skin is different, but one of my goals for next year is to finish out my stash of commercial skincare products and try moving to a simpler, cheaper routine using natural ingredients. (With the exception of sunscreen, of course.)

La Bibliotecaria Feroz

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 08:08:48 PM »
Here's my facial skin care routine:

AM: Wipe with wet washcloth. If it's sunny out, put on either Avalon Organics or Babyganics sunscreen.
PM: Wash with bar soap, either Dove Sensitive or Kirk's Castille. If skin feels dry, especially if I happen to be making popcorn, I rub a little coconut oil on it.

No makeup. Intellectually, I think it looks nice, but I find putting it on to be boring. If I do put it on, I take off my eye makeup with baby oil, as my mother taught me.

chicagomeg

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 09:12:16 PM »
I've been using honey every morning for two years now! Sometimes my face gets a little dry in the winter, when I notice that I wash it at night with coconut oil. Other wise I just use plain water at night. Overall I think my skin is much better balanced, less acne, and the redness in my cheeks has greatly decreased. Its significantly less messy than I ever expected too.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 09:45:31 PM »
I bought some really yummy home-harvested honey at the markets last week. I'm tempted to try this, but therein lies my problem. It tastes really really good, and I don't want to wash it down the drain!

expatartist

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 05:17:44 AM »
Yes! CrunchyBetty got me using honey a year ago. I bought an entire honeycomb from a farmer in the western hills of town for ~$16, melted it, separated the honey from the wax and have been using the honey ever since as an organic face wash. Softens and smooths and feels wonderful.

MrsK

• Stubble
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 03:23:13 PM »
I will definitely try this! I've never read crunchybetty.com, but as a religious skincare fanatic I definitely need to spend some time reading through her stuff!

This may be too off-topic, but has anyone had success with other natural skincare approaches in addition to honey (like greek yogurt, oatmeal/avocado masks, OCM, etc.)? I know everyone's skin is different, but one of my goals for next year is to finish out my stash of commercial skincare products and try moving to a simpler, cheaper routine using natural ingredients. (With the exception of sunscreen, of course.)

I use honey and warm water in the A.M. Every other day or so I follow with a cotton ball dipped in half and half--let set a few minutes and rinse again with warm water.  If I have a blemish, I use apple cider vinegar. 

At night I use warm water and a little jojoba oil (crunch betty.com explains the oil cleaning method). 

For fun I have steamed with a little green tea in the water and then follow with a mask of oatmeal, cream and honey. 

Coconut oil for after bath or shower body moisturizer--I find coconut oil too heavy for my skin. 

tracylayton

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 07:58:57 AM »

I mixed 1 tablespoon of olive oil with 1 Tablespoon of ground coffee to make an exfoliating scrub. Worked very well! I read about a honey/oatmeal mask and have been meaning to try it, so maybe today.

Anatidae V

• Walrus Stache
  • Nullus Anxietas
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2014, 08:16:48 PM »
This sounds delicious. I'll be trying this!

stripey

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2014, 08:59:54 PM »
Does it work as a makeup remover?  I am looking for more natural skincare routine.

Coconut oil works very well for eye makeup. I don't use foundation on a daily basis so I can't help you there.

Oddly enough I did the honey thing for a while but can't do it daily because although it has some emolients in it, over time it dries my skin out...

NeuroPlastic

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 05:27:42 AM »
Honey is fantastic as a face wash.  Another natural skin-care method we use is the strawberry exfoliant - just rub a strawberry (fresh or frozen) on your skin, let it dry, and rinse it off.  It looks like a horror film while you're doing it, but the results are amazing.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!