Author Topic: The Compact-- Starting today until December 31st  (Read 21786 times)

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
The Compact-- Starting today until December 31st
« on: June 05, 2013, 09:08:41 AM »
It looks like there was some discussion of "The Compact" on another thread from January but I'm ready to throw down the gauntlet!

I've read about "The Compact" on a blog I love, The Nonconsumer Advocate:

http://thenonconsumeradvocate.com/exceptions-to-katys-compact-buy-nothing-new/

The idea behind the Compact is that you buy nothing new for a year except for the essentials (toilet paper, food, personal care products). Services are ok (movie tickets, haircuts, etc). And buying used is ok too. Participants typically have a list of exceptions that they will make, for example they will buy socks and underwear new which is completely understandable for the ick factor. I've been spending way to much money on clothes, so I've decided to throw down the gauntlet and buy no new clothes for the remainder of 2013. I figure I might as well do the Compact while I am at it. Please join me if you like, or at the very least, help keep me accountable!

I will be making an exception for my upcoming kitchen remodel. I've been planning/saving this for more than a year and dreaming about it for the 9 years I've lived in my home.

This is a flexible gauntlet, so feel free to join me even if you would rather bend the rules to your liking. Just make sure we know what rules you are following so we can help keep you accountable.

Miamoo

• Stubble
Re: The Compact-- Starting today until December 31st
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 11:06:32 AM »
Yes, it's been covered (mostly) in that January post.

No problem whatsoever with not buying anything but food till 1 January 2014.  (Forgot about petrol for the vehicle, does that count? @ $4.09/gal here at this time)

Will you cover what you do?  A monthly spreadsheet perhaps?

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 11:26:35 AM »
Sure, I could cover what I do! Maybe compare my clothes spending in particular to last year to keep it interesting. Because last year's clothes spending is worthy of many, many face punches.

Frugalady10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:36:34 AM »
I love that blog and am also not buying any new clothes for the remainder of 2013 with the exception of undies. Oh, and a bathing suit. I am pregnant so I needed a bigger suit and did't want to wear a used swimsuit. So far I have a whole maternity wardrobe and I haven't spent a dime. Friends and co workers just gave me their old clothes.:)

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »
Frugalady10-- Yay, I will be glad to have your company here. That's great about the maternity clothes! And I completely understand about not wanting a used swimsuit...

Frugalady10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 04:20:55 PM »
Yeah i feel like anything that's coming into contact own there should probably be new.

I am excited for this!

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2013, 05:34:32 AM »
As I am getting started, I have been gathering data. I've always known I'm spending too much on stuff, particularly clothes. So much so that I felt too guilty to look at the numbers. No more of that, I've got to get my head out of the sand! So, I've done it. I logged onto Mint and I've looked back at my spending on clothing (easier to track than other unnecessary stuff). Since 2009, when I began tracking on Mint, I have spent-- ok this is over the top embarrassing-- I have spent $10,455.20 on clothes. How is this even possible?????

With this spending, you would think I am super stylish. But nope. I'm not. I think what this number shows is that I was aspiring to be stylish. In the last year, I've been trying to live with fewer clothes and have discovered that I'm actually more stylish with a smaller selection. But then I fell into the trap of trying to buy ethically produced clothing-- stuff that's made in the USA, of organic cotton, etc. Boy did I spend a lot of money in that direction!! It did feel good to support ethical businesses, but if I'm going to grow my 'stache, that's just not going to work. Used clothing is perfectly ethical. Not buying clothes and wearing what is already in my closet, that's even better.

aj_yooper

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2013, 06:01:09 AM »
Set a budget for the kitchen re-do so you will avoid upsell and budget creep.

Frugalady10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2013, 06:31:44 AM »
Have you ever heard of Project333? It's a minimalist approach to your wardrpbe where you only wear 33 things

Www.project333.com

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 07:02:27 AM »
Frugalady10-- Yup, I've been doing Project 333 since September! Love it in so many ways.

kikichewie

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 07:04:29 AM »
I just checked out her blog. She might challenge herself not to buy anything new, but she sure seems obsessed with buying used junk at thrift stores.  Shopping as a hobby is such a bad idea.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 03:35:40 PM »
Count me IN! 
Going to exclude gifts (will try to make all gifts with crafting stuff I have on hand, but just in case I can't/don't have time I will give myself a pass for buying gifts), a new laptop (my iBook g4 from 2005 is on its last legs and I doubt it will make it through Dec 31), and canning supplies if I can't find them used (need more jars and rings and while I have a lot of unused lids on hand, I may need more depending on the CSA bounty this year).
This has inspired me to get started crafting-have some birthdays coming up and some friends have new babies coming soon!  And if i can get my shit together for X-mas gifts, that would be amazing.
Thanks, OP!

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
I think I am going to do this.  I will exclude consumables like food and gas.  Also things related to health and safety, ie if I needed a new bike helmet in the next 6 months, gifts, and things that would cost me more money to not buy than to buy.  Not sure what that would be, but I remember it coming up the last time I did this.  I am also going to make craft purchases okay.  I say this because I have no problem with over-buying crafting supplies -I probably do it once a year.  But I am looking for new hobbies, and I am thinking about trying jewelry making.
  I need to buy scrubs for work.  This may be a challenge.  I have been looking at thrift stores, but between finding my size, ones that work with our (pretty strict) dress code, ones still in good shape because I want to look professional at work, I have not found any.  My unit has just changed the dress code, and we are not allowed to wear the ones we were required to wear for the last 10 years!  Typical for my job!  We are still getting away with wearing the old ones, but I expect that will change in the next month.  So I need 3 to 4 pairs.  Hmm, maybe I should go looking today.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2013, 08:32:15 PM »
Thrift store score!  Managed to find 5 scrub tops and 2 bottoms!  Funny, I looked on Memorial Day during the half off sale, and they weren't there!  So 7 pieces for $30.  Online they would have been at least $15 a piece.

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 05:05:40 AM »
I am in!  My goal is no new clothes/shoes other wearables through end of year.  No new books either as I am an  avid reader and it is SO easy to spend a lot of money on books.  The other stuff will fall into place as I don't buy many other new items.  How can we keep accountable?  Shall we post at the beginning of each month with our progress and/or stumbles???

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2013, 05:28:16 AM »
Meadow Lark-- Wow, I am amazed with your thrift score find! Amazing to find just what you need for such a great price.

Snow White-- Yes, I do think we need a way to keep accountable. I think monthly updates are a good option. I also think a tracking spreadsheet might be an option too but I need to figure out the best way to make that work.

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2013, 07:41:30 AM »
I created a spreadsheet on Google Drive for those who want to track their progress that way. Each participant can personalize his/her own tab:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsrtZyzMbjU-dFdOX3ByTUppWlJHTGRSVmdIVkhLSFE&usp=sharing

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:29 AM »
I created a spreadsheet on Google Drive for those who want to track their progress that way. Each participant can personalize his/her own tab:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsrtZyzMbjU-dFdOX3ByTUppWlJHTGRSVmdIVkhLSFE&usp=sharing

It's prompting me to request access, can you change the sharing settings?

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2013, 10:27:39 AM »
Apologies on the sharing issue-- it's my first time sharing a Google Doc. I think I fixed the issue:

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2013, 10:30:11 AM »
I started this on Earth Day! Yay! I'm glad I've found others. I tried to join the official Compact group, but I was never 'approved' by the moderator. I have tried to convince others in my family to join me (like my husband) but I can't get anyone on board. What they don't realize is how liberating it actually is. I can walk into a store...let's say Sam's Club and avoid entire areas of the store. This means fewer impulse buys and more $ in my wallet.

meadow lark

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2013, 10:03:54 PM »
My new challenge is sunglasses.  Trying to figure out how not to buy them new.  I may end up doing it, und my health and safety exclusion, but I am putting it out there.  I am trying to do the "firstpairfree" deal on www.coastal.com for a pair of prescription sun glasses.  Or I may try to find clip-ons - I know, so fashionable.  I can't tell when I try to checkout if they are free or not.  The total still says $100.  And I don't want that!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2013, 04:11:12 AM »
I'm also on a clothes fast for 2013.  My goal was not to buy any clothes in 2013 with the possible exception of bras. My 2 bras were old and as predicted became unusable as the underwires broke on both bras.  Also I am allergic to latex and I got a nasty rash from the perished bra band. I couldn't clear it not matter what until I got 2 new bras.

Otherwise I am going fine. No other  new or used cloths, shoes, accessories, jewellery, hats etc have entered my life in 2013 so far.  Not even tempted.  No one seems to have noticed. Feeling confident I will get to the end of the year :)

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2013, 12:31:27 PM »
Meadow Lark, one option for sunglasses is to buy a pair of huge retro ones that fit over your regular glasses.  I usually see them at thrift shops since they are back in fashion and the double glasses look isn't so apparent when the sunglasses are giant :).  I do this because I lost my prescription sunglasses (they were 6yrs old so i at least got a lot of use out of them before i lost them) and refuse to buy new ones.

Snow White

• Stubble
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 09:05:52 PM »
How is everyone doing on this challenge?  I had to fight the urge to shop today when I went out to get my hair cut in the same shopping center as TJMaxx.  I resisted though and just got my hair cut and didn't darken TJMaxx's door even though they always seem to have something that I "need"! ;)

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2013, 05:21:55 AM »
So far I have successfully resisted all temptation, but that isn't to say it has been easy. I was really tempted to buy this cool eco-friendly/reusable product that replaces plastic wrap. But I don't often use plastic wrap, and my existing package of plastic wrap will likely last me more than a year.

I have been eating out too often and I wonder if this is a result of channeling my "shopping" energies somewhere else-- i.e., food trucks, local take-out, etc. Still lots to work on!

happy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 06:46:28 AM »
 I am still going well : but its only 2 weeks since I posted :).   My favourite shoes are getting desperate...but I found I could wear a pair of short boots all day if I just put thin pantyhose socks on... These are expensive ankle boots loitering in my wardrobe because I haven't been able to wear them all day without blisters...think I've solved it now :). Noticed a few items  for work I've been relying on are starting to look a bit worn: not sure they will hold up til Jan 2014. So I have to find alternatives in the current wardrobe. Well - I've 2 new pairs of trousers I've never worn since they need taking up...will just have to get my finger out and do it.  And If I can lose some more weight, some more alternatives will become available.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 01:27:47 PM »
I scored 2 dozen used canning jars on Craigslist for $14 (1 dozen pints and 1 dozen quarts), and since it was on our way to Detroit from Northern Michigan, we only had to drive 4 miles out of our way (total) to get them.
Only problem is, I realized my biggest pot can only be used for the pint jars, it's too short for quarts.  I found a much bigger used one with rack on craigslist in NYC for $50, but then found a new one on amazon for $39, which includes a bunch of tools in addition to the rack- lid lifter, jar lifting tongs, etc...all of which i don't have already.
my husband is hoping we can find a cheaper used one but how many people in NYC even have canning pots!? and the ones who make room to store them probably want to keep them, right!?
anyhow, I'm off to the store to buy non-gmo organic white vinegar so I can make pint jars of pickled beets from the beautiful beets that were part of the wedding present given to us by my father in law and his wife-- an amazing basket full of Michigan-grown and Michigan-made food from the farmers' market that they sell cookies at.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 06:45:36 PM »
I love that blog and am also not buying any new clothes for the remainder of 2013 with the exception of undies. Oh, and a bathing suit. I am pregnant so I needed a bigger suit and did't want to wear a used swimsuit. So far I have a whole maternity wardrobe and I haven't spent a dime. Friends and co workers just gave me their old clothes.:)

I am happy to find others not buying clothing for the rest of 2013. It gets easier as time goes on. I did make an exception for replacement shoes. Not shopping saves a LOT of time. =-)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 06:49:13 PM »

With this spending, you would think I am super stylish. But nope. I'm not. I think what this number shows is that I was aspiring to be stylish. In the last year, I've been trying to live with fewer clothes and have discovered that I'm actually more stylish with a smaller selection. But then I fell into the trap of trying to buy ethically produced clothing-- stuff that's made in the USA, of organic cotton, etc. Boy did I spend a lot of money in that direction!! It did feel good to support ethical businesses, but if I'm going to grow my 'stache, that's just not going to work. Used clothing is perfectly ethical. Not buying clothes and wearing what is already in my closet, that's even better.

You live in the Land of Affluenza. When you do buy clothing again, you can get great finds in the city. All the ladies who lunch sell their barely worn clothing or donate it to Val Village or Goodwill.

You are like the French now, lady! French folks look at a great outfit and think, "I'll wear that again." Americans look at a great outfit and think, "I need another outfit." I am having a lot of fun mixing up the clothes I do have instead of buying new stuff.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 06:55:22 PM »
I scored 2 dozen used canning jars on Craigslist for $14 (1 dozen pints and 1 dozen quarts), and since it was on our way to Detroit from Northern Michigan, we only had to drive 4 miles out of our way (total) to get them.
Only problem is, I realized my biggest pot can only be used for the pint jars, it's too short for quarts.  I found a much bigger used one with rack on craigslist in NYC for $50, but then found a new one on amazon for $39, which includes a bunch of tools in addition to the rack- lid lifter, jar lifting tongs, etc...all of which i don't have already.
my husband is hoping we can find a cheaper used one but how many people in NYC even have canning pots!? and the ones who make room to store them probably want to keep them, right!?
anyhow, I'm off to the store to buy non-gmo organic white vinegar so I can make pint jars of pickled beets from the beautiful beets that were part of the wedding present given to us by my father in law and his wife-- an amazing basket full of Michigan-grown and Michigan-made food from the farmers' market that they sell cookies at.

What a great present!

Now, I'm trying to wrap my mind around being 32 and retired in NYC of all places!! Kudos.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2013, 08:02:25 PM »
Thanks, oldtoyota! Love your name btw. I have a 2001 manual corolla :).

Here's how I did it:
http://skinnyflints.tumblr.com/post/51972910339/when-it-comes-to-saving-money-lifestyle-creep-is-the

http://skinnyflints.tumblr.com/post/40098125562/31-and-mortgage-free-can-it-really-happen

Having frugal parents helped, as did multiple re-readings of The Tightwad Gazette & Your Money Or Your Life.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #31 on: June 28, 2013, 09:03:22 PM »
Thanks, oldtoyota! Love your name btw. I have a 2001 manual corolla :).

Here's how I did it:
http://skinnyflints.tumblr.com/post/51972910339/when-it-comes-to-saving-money-lifestyle-creep-is-the

http://skinnyflints.tumblr.com/post/40098125562/31-and-mortgage-free-can-it-really-happen

Having frugal parents helped, as did multiple re-readings of The Tightwad Gazette & Your Money Or Your Life.

Thank you! I will take a read later. =-)

Also, thanks to the person who recommended theproject333.com. I have already started removing items from my closet to prepare for 33 items in 3 months.

I had already planned to stop buying clothes. I had not actually thought about paring down the wardrobe I have. Duh!

I hate certain items of clothing. So, what did I do? I bought a lot of them over time in search of something I would like. Today, clearing them out, I realized I do not even LIKE dress pants. Ugh. They wrinkle and often require dry cleaning. Yuck. They are going.

O. M. G.

The revelation!

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2013, 07:53:27 PM »

Totally understandable that you wouldn't want to wear used bathers.  I got lucky recently, I found some new ones at an op shop/thrift store with the tags still on.  You'd have to be lucky too but it's worth a look.  Also, I often wear the Hawaii style shorts with a bather tank top.  It keeps the cost down. 

Frugalady10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #33 on: June 30, 2013, 07:18:22 AM »
What are you guys doing about gifts? I am thinking about Christmas already. My husband and I have no problem with second hand gifts ( or not giving each other gifts ) but what are you doing for parties and holidays for others?

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #34 on: June 30, 2013, 08:17:59 AM »
I'm going to try to make all Christmas gifts this year.  I sew, and have a ton of fabric, so hopefully that will work.  If I can't make something for someone, their gift will be either a donation to their favorite charity, or something food/drink (ie coffee beans, artisanal pickles, fancy spices, maple syrup).

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: June 30, 2013, 12:31:53 PM »
What are you guys doing about gifts? I am thinking about Christmas already. My husband and I have no problem with second hand gifts ( or not giving each other gifts ) but what are you doing for parties and holidays for others?

I am wondering the same thing. I do not even want to celebrate xmas but I get pulled into it. Ugh.

I am reading a book by a couple who renovated their Richmond, VA house. They have a blog called Young House Love. Their book has a lot of cool ideas for low-cost decorating. I was thinking about taking some craft paper, cutting out the shape of a state and then framing it in an attractive way. I would do this for my sister who has houses in two different states...so I'd give her one for each state.

My sister likes my choc chip cookies so I have given her those in the past. One year, I made cakes in small jars for everyone. In the past, I have combined homemade and purchased gifts. I want to lean more toward homemade this year, so it's time to get cracking.

This site might give you a lot of ideas:
http://www.younghouselove.com/how-to/

Frugalady10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #36 on: June 30, 2013, 01:30:40 PM »
How about kids? Do you think it is tacky to get a birthday gift for someone elses's kid at a second hand store? We buy most of my son's gifts second hand.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2013, 02:00:34 PM »
I personally don't think it's tacky at all to buy kids gifts at secondhand stores!  Amy Dacyzyn writes about it a lot in The Tightwad Gazette- definitely worth a read.
I am planning a baby shower soon and am going to try to convince the mom-to-be to request gently used baby items, instead of all new crap.  Better for the environment, better for everyone's wallets!
Another thing that is a great gift for kids = your time.  If you like the kids, and enjoy spending time with them, why not give them a handmade gift certificate for a trip to the children's museum with you, or to a restaurant, or to a picnic in the park?  Or time spent baking cookies together or playing legos for however long, or teaching them to sew or knit or some other skill that you have?

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2013, 08:21:48 AM »
I've been thinking about gifts, too. For kids, I think second hand would be an option. But for adults, I'm currently thinking about FOOD. Either hand-made treats, or special oils/vinegars/maple syrup/etc that are super yummy but that most people wouldn't normally buy for themselves.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2013, 09:31:01 AM »
Oldtoyota- just checked out Young House Love...it's fabulous! Thanks for sharing :).

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #40 on: July 01, 2013, 09:32:42 AM »

I am reading a book by a couple who renovated their Richmond, VA house. They have a blog called Young House Love. Their book has a lot of cool ideas for low-cost decorating. I was thinking about taking some craft paper, cutting out the shape of a state and then framing it in an attractive way. I would do this for my sister who has houses in two different states...so I'd give her one for each state.

This site might give you a lot of ideas:
http://www.younghouselove.com/how-to/

I follow that blog too! It's inspiring how much they are able to do themselves. I've never been very handy when it comes to DIY, but their blog is giving me a nudge to change that. A few weeks ago, I re-caulked my bathroom for the first time, despite being afraid I would mess it up. I'm glad I did and I'll be doing it myself from here on out...

anastrophe

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2013, 07:51:27 AM »
I've been thinking about gifts, too. For kids, I think second hand would be an option. But for adults, I'm currently thinking about FOOD. Either hand-made treats, or special oils/vinegars/maple syrup/etc that are super yummy but that most people wouldn't normally buy for themselves.

For the past two years I've only given home-canned treats for xmas. Salsa or jalapeno jam for those that like spicy, and fruit and nut conserves for those that like sweet. It's something I do anyways so it's not difficult to make a bit extra, especially at the 4 oz size. The real trick is getting your jars back afterwards.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2013, 10:53:03 AM »
Oldtoyota- just checked out Young House Love...it's fabulous! Thanks for sharing :).

You're welcome. =-)

I will repaint my front door and just finished re-covering my kitchen chairs. I am not sure I will demo a bathroom on my own, but who knows?

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2013, 06:45:25 PM »
Anastrophe, what recipe do you use for jalapeņo jam? Sounds delish!

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2013, 06:53:10 PM »

I will repaint my front door and just finished re-covering my kitchen chairs. I am not sure I will demo a bathroom on my own, but who knows?
[/quote]

I've found demo to be the most fun part of reno's :). 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2013, 10:40:18 AM »

I've found demo to be the most fun part of reno's :).
[/quote]

Do I get to use a sledgehammer? :-)) If so, that could really change my outlook for the better.

Katnina

• Stubble
  • 33 & happily retired!
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2013, 07:24:44 PM »
I've never used a sledgehammer, but I'm a pro with a crowbar :).  And a rubber mallet plus a wide spackling knife is an excellent way to get tile up!

mariarose

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #47 on: July 18, 2013, 12:50:52 PM »
Is it too late to join?  I promise to spend nothing new for the rest of the year with the following exceptions....

1. Human Food
2. Livestock Food
3. Things we have to have to complete the many home improvement projects we need to finish (we are planning a move in 3 years, and LOTS need done!  Can't always find straight used nails!)

jfer_rose

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Pencil Stache
« Reply #48 on: July 18, 2013, 03:07:55 PM »
mariarose,
2013 hasn't ended yet, so please join us.

I suppose this means it is a good time for me to provide an update on my progress. I had one incident. My sunglasses broke and were no longer repairable. I was in a pinch and I needed sunglasses quickly so I bought a cheapo pair at the drugstore rather than searching out used. So I'm a little bummed about that!

Other than the sunglasses incident, I do think this project is going great for me. I gave up clothes shopping for 3 months in the beginning of the year as part of Project 333, but that didn't really stop me from putting items on my wish list. So when the three months ended, I did a bunch of wish list shopping and spent way too much. Now that I'm abstaining for any clothing purchases for a longer period of time, I've stopped even looking at clothes. I think this is exactly the mindset I need to make a real change in my shopping habits. While my wardrobe still has a few holes, I'm learning to live with those holes rather than putting those items on a wish list for January 2014.

jat9449

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #49 on: July 18, 2013, 03:30:48 PM »
I'll update too! I've been pushing forward. So far no slip-ups :)

I've had problems finding good used shoes (yucks me out for the most part). So all summer instead of the usual annual new pair of flip flops/sandals, I've been wearing my beat-up Tom's. My mother-in-law heard about what I was doing and offered me some excellent condition Keen sandals that she no was no longer wearing and she didn't even know I wanted new sandals! Score!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!