Author Topic: The Clean House Challenge  (Read 43029 times)

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
Re: The Clean House Challenge
« Reply #100 on: October 30, 2013, 09:42:54 AM »
It's Wednesday, and we've stayed on top of the dishes!  It's pretty close to a miracle. 

On a not so happy note, I still haven't put away my clothes, so I'm living out of laundry baskets. 

Baby steps....

Mrs3F

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #101 on: October 30, 2013, 10:40:02 AM »
I mopped my kitchen floor both yesterday and today.  Anyone have tips for keeping my 2 year old from dropping food all over the flow when he eats?

I have a friend who sits her kid's highchair in a plastic kiddie pool.  Genius. 

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #102 on: October 30, 2013, 03:08:16 PM »
It's Wednesday, and we've stayed on top of the dishes!  It's pretty close to a miracle. 

On a not so happy note, I still haven't put away my clothes, so I'm living out of laundry baskets. 

Baby steps....

Spouse and I trade off on dishes. As a result, the kitchen is the one area we always had under control. I share in case it helps you somehow. If spouse does dishes and kitchen cleaning at night, then I put the kidlet to bed. And vice versa. Works well!

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #103 on: October 30, 2013, 03:57:25 PM »

Baby steps....

Spouse and I trade off on dishes. As a result, the kitchen is the one area we always had under control. I share in case it helps you somehow. If spouse does dishes and kitchen cleaning at night, then I put the kidlet to bed. And vice versa. Works well!

I have to nag my husband to do the dishes...so it's really up to me.  But we don't have any kids, so I guess I don't have any other evening "responsibilities" other than walking the dog.

kkbmustang

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #104 on: October 30, 2013, 04:29:44 PM »
I mopped my kitchen floor both yesterday and today.  Anyone have tips for keeping my 2 year old from dropping food all over the flow when he eats?

I have a friend who sits her kid's highchair in a plastic kiddie pool.  Genius.

That is smart. We have always had dogs and they do a pretty good job of keeping bits of food from staying on the floor for long. :)

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #105 on: October 30, 2013, 07:04:10 PM »

Good tip! I like the idea of alternating dishes.  No one ever wants to do that and it might take the sting out. I think I'll suggest that to my husband!!

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #106 on: October 30, 2013, 08:22:20 PM »
Here's how a day of cleaning-maintenance goes for me:

• 7:20am: Alarm goes off. Snooze.
  • 7:29am: Before even getting off of the bed, make the bed. Sweep the floors. Feed the cat. Clean the litter box. Start coffee or rice if needed. Get in bathroom.
  • 7:47am: Emerge from the bathroom with a clean body. Make breakfast while getting dressed. Eat.
  • 8:10am: Wash all dishes. Put comb and tissues and whatnot where they belong. Go to work.
  • 4:46pm: Return home from work. Immediately put phone, book, purse, and assorted mail where they belong. Sweep. Put dry dishes away. Start dinner.
  • Here's where times become less structured, but after I eat I always wash dishes immediately. I put laundry away as soon as it's dry (air drying only here). I put dishes away as soon as they're dry. I clean things if I see they need it.

My approach to cleaning has always been one of do-it-now-because-it'll-suck-more-later. By maintaining a clean home, I rarely have to really *clean*, if that makes sense. Some other examples:

I try to eat all the food in my fridge and pantry before buying more, and when they're near-empty I wipe them down.

If I notice a discolored spot in my bathroom grout, I scrub it while I'm waiting for the water to get hot in my shower--or even just while I'm in the shower.

I really just throw recycling on the floor in my shoe-room/entryway (a separate room from my one-room apartment), and when I leave my apartment I take everything down to the apartment bins. There's no chance for it to pile up in an obscene way.

I don't own many things, so there isn't much clutter to mess with or an opportunity to delay maintenance. If I don't do laundry, I might not have any pants or cardigans to wear. If I don't wash my one pan or my one pot after using it, I won't have anything to cook in. I have 3 dinner plates. I have 3 forks. I have one butter knife. I don't have knickknacks to dust or arrange.

And before I sound like some soul-less cleaning machine, let me share a picture that will demonstrate two things:
  • I live in a very tiny one-room apartment. I took the attached picture from the doorway to the main room (there is a shoe-room as well--about big enough for two people to stand in).
  • I have a cat. Which is proof that I'm not soul-less, and also an explanation for why I sweep at least twice a day.

Anyway--my point is that cleaning doesn't have to be complicated. Getting to a clean point once and actively maintaining it takes way less time than letting things get dirty and starting all over again.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #107 on: October 30, 2013, 08:59:57 PM »

Baby steps....

My husband will not do dishes unless he's gonna cook something and the pan he wants to use is dirty.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #108 on: October 31, 2013, 07:28:36 AM »

Baby steps....

My husband will not do dishes unless he's gonna cook something and the pan he wants to use is dirty.

I guess you need to get him to cook more then.

He'll leave the dishes if you keep washing them. Seriously, why should he wash them if you will?

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #109 on: October 31, 2013, 08:27:59 AM »

Baby steps....

He'll leave the dishes if you keep washing them. Seriously, why should he wash them if you will?

To chime in here, regretfully, not washing them doesn't mean that my husband will eventually do them.  Instead, he'll suggest takeout (which he persists in thinking is not really that much more expensive than eating at home, doesn't take that much time to get, and is no different health-wise).  So the dishes will pile up and then be harder to do with dried on food when I finally do them.  Or in the rare case that he does them, he'll only do some because it takes so long to do them.

I love him and he has many great qualities, but one reason I'm contemplating the anti-mustachian move of getting a cleaner is to cut back on the stress on the marriage where I do 90% of the chores, fight for help on the 10% and then get very unhappy/resentful.

You would think a man raised by a single, divorced mother would be more helpful than average around the apartment, but no.  :(

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #110 on: October 31, 2013, 12:45:05 PM »

Baby steps....

To chime in here, regretfully, not washing them doesn't mean that my husband will eventually do them.  Instead, he'll suggest takeout (which he persists in thinking is not really that much more expensive than eating at home, doesn't take that much time to get, and is no different health-wise).  So the dishes will pile up and then be harder to do with dried on food when I finally do them.  Or in the rare case that he does them, he'll only do some because it takes so long to do them.

I love him and he has many great qualities, but one reason I'm contemplating the anti-mustachian move of getting a cleaner is to cut back on the stress on the marriage where I do 90% of the chores, fight for help on the 10% and then get very unhappy/resentful.

You would think a man raised by a single, divorced mother would be more helpful than average around the apartment, but no.  :(

Ugh. That is so annoying. Counseling? Seems like odd behavior to me.

Lina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #111 on: October 31, 2013, 12:52:39 PM »
It is interesting to read about peoples view about the responsibility to do the chores around the house. Many husbands are "helping" their spouses with their chores.

From my point of view it is the responsibility of both spouses to do the chores and do their part, which would be 50/50 if neither is stay-at-home parent/spouse. Maybe that is why I am single but I have no desire to be someone else "housekeeper". If I am expected to do the majority of the chores I would rather live alone then with a "big baby" that needs to be taken care of.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #112 on: October 31, 2013, 02:40:39 PM »
It is interesting to read about peoples view about the responsibility to do the chores around the house. Many husbands are "helping" their spouses with their chores.

From my point of view it is the responsibility of both spouses to do the chores and do their part, which would be 50/50 if neither is stay-at-home parent/spouse. Maybe that is why I am single but I have no desire to be someone else "housekeeper". If I am expected to do the majority of the chores I would rather live alone then with a "big baby" that needs to be taken care of.

A phrasing which I have challenged my husband on.

I didn't - clearly - marry him for his ability to do chores.  He's a lousy roommate, but a great husband despite this flaw. 

(For his point of view, he feels I have higher standards, thus I should do the work for those higher standards.  I think I'm not unreasonable and most people would agree with me on where the standards ought to be.  For an example, when we met, he hadn't scrubbed his tub once in the 5 years since he had moved in.)

pachnik

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #113 on: October 31, 2013, 02:53:35 PM »
I know I was pretty lucky with my husband.  We got together later in life and he'd lived as a bachelor for a couple of years when we met. 

A completely different situation than a young couple starting out.  I am 49 years old.  He's by far the better cook so he does that and we  wash dishes and get groceries together.  We each do our own laundry and make our own lunches for work.  I usually do the vacuuming and dusting and he wipes down the counters.  This works for us.  Nothing to feel resentful about. 

If on the other hand, he was someone who expected me to do everything (while we both held down jobs), I wouldn't be around too long.  I lived that way before and life's too short for me to do that again. 

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #114 on: October 31, 2013, 07:11:09 PM »

Baby steps....

CommonCents, are you married to MY husband? LOL He's not into washing dishes or putting away HIS laundry but he does the garbage, cleans the airconditing unit, cleans the BATHROOMS. Thank goodness because I am not doing that. LOL The dishes though? No-uh. Our mother-in-law lives with us and even she won't ask him to do dishes. Sometimes I'd guilt him into doing it and he will.

What pisses me off is when I spend an hour clearing a corner of the kitchen which is a dumping ground for everything (shoes, shopping, boxes, etc) so that I could see the actual floor and then the moment my MIL gets home she dumps her lunchbox, purse, shoes, and bags of things she took to work with her on the now cleared spot. *sigh* I'd be all about cleaning and clearing if other people in the house would at least do the same. After clearing a spot and making it easier to walk around the place, two days later yay! it's more floor to dump things on. UGH.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 07:14:08 PM by hotforbacon »

Rural

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: November 01, 2013, 06:35:08 AM »
I do 95% of the cleaning and all of the cooking despite working full time with a long commute, but he comes home after a long day and builds some more of the porch or gets out in the driveway with rake and shovel or backhoe, or works on a vehicle if one needs it. He spends at least one day on weekends doing the same, even when we take his team to a competition on the other weekend day (I go as a ref to save the school the cost of hiring one), and he grades and plans for school after dark. I do the same as far as grading and planning, plus some grantwriting, etc. for work and for my nonprofit, and my side hustle.

So, I cook, clean, do laundry, and keep up a side hustle, and I still don't work as hard as he does. One of these days, when we're getting older/ the house is truly "finished," we may need to renegotiate the inside work, but for now, I do what I can to help him have the time and energy to do the things that have to be done and that I physically can't do.

So for now, I'm pleased that his standards are Lower than mine. It means whatever I can get done keeps him happy. Most of the time it keeps me reasonably happy, too, and we both pitch in whenever an inlaw is coming for a visit. :-)

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #116 on: November 01, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
For those of you who don't bother with sorting clothes, or don't see it as essential, here's my time and space saving laundry tip: use your washing machine as a hamper for dirty things. Start the washer when it's full.

The end!

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #117 on: November 01, 2013, 06:56:25 PM »
CommonCents and hotforbacon, we all married the same man.  :(

Nikki- you are smart and an inspiration!

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2013, 06:54:31 AM »
Unfuck Your Habitat.

The internet is awesome, there is seemingly an infinite number of awesome and helpful sites out there.

I'm really not a prude and I don't have a problem with most swear words used in moderation. I realize that particular swear word is being used more and more in everyday speech. I've even heard of kindergarten kids using it regularly. But to me, it will always be a demeaning and degrading reference to sexual intimacy. And really, what does that have to do with the fact that your house is dirty or cluttered?  It's just a cheap joke to get more traction for the website and to make it young and hip. But you are what you eat and think. So while some people may avoid a high information diet, I'm making an effort to avoid websites (and threads)that use it gratuitously and have to resort to such tactics.  This website has language from time to time, but I can usually avoid reading too much of it.

I just see it as a word that's constantly evolving.  After all, languages constantly change as time goes on.  Right now it is one of those "forbidden" words, which is why many of us use it.  Now, when typically meeting people for the first time I refrain from saying the word.  Only after I get to know the person and see if it's something they don't find offensive will I let it go to any degree.  Anyways, back on topic. ;)

Unfuck Your Habitat is going in my list of bookmarks.  I'm already liking it's style of motivation.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
While I was out this morning, other members of the family did some cleaning work! Spouse cleaned up a closet, cleared off a dresser and the bedroom floor, folded laundry and put some other laundry in the dryer. Also, my dry cleaning was picked up for me! Woot!

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #120 on: November 02, 2013, 05:23:24 PM »
I did the only sensible thing to get my house cleaned up - invited people over!  They will be here in a few hours, and the house is already looking better than it has in 2 months :-)

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #121 on: November 03, 2013, 07:12:05 AM »
I did the only sensible thing to get my house cleaned up - invited people over!  They will be here in a few hours, and the house is already looking better than it has in 2 months :-)
Ha ha, inviting guests in can be a great way to get motivated to clean up a house.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #122 on: November 03, 2013, 10:53:43 AM »
Ha ha, inviting guests in can be a great way to get motivated to clean up a house.
And now my house looks way awesome, yay!  I can see the dining room table that DH had a craft explosion on, the bathrooms are clean, the floors are swept.  Ah, bliss!

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #123 on: November 03, 2013, 04:21:34 PM »
I followed the advice of UFYH today and did a number of 20/10's on my bedroom.  Even moved out the bed and stuff to clean under/behind them.  Much better now.  In the following days I'll have to turn my sights elsewhere. :)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #124 on: November 03, 2013, 05:54:52 PM »

This is how I used to go about it. For me, it resulted in marathon cleaning sessions that tuckered me out! However, it did work. =-)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #125 on: November 03, 2013, 05:55:19 PM »
I followed the advice of UFYH today and did a number of 20/10's on my bedroom.  Even moved out the bed and stuff to clean under/behind them.  Much better now.  In the following days I'll have to turn my sights elsewhere. :)

Yay! Nice work.

CupcakeStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2013, 05:58:49 PM »
I'm *loving* UFYH!!

My house is (generally) clean-ish.... but there are always things that need doing, or that could use doing sooner (hello, dusty window blinds).

UFYH has been great to get me to focus once per day on some kind of non-daily or weekly task, like "clear out a closet" or "vacuum under all couch cushions" etc.

dorkus619

• Stubble
    • SimplyBex
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2013, 08:24:01 AM »
Devoting at least 20 minutes a day to cleaning.  Not too bad when I figure I spend at least a half an hour a day on line just breezing around.  I want to do a 10 item EBAY challenge.   10 items up for bid in the next 24 hours!!!!
I really like these ideas. Seems simple enough but putting it into action will be the main thing! I really need to get into a simple routine for the every day things. Dishes, sweeping, vacuuming, wiping counters.
Then need to establish a few days/week as cleaning project days where I will pick a focus area (my closet? top of my dresser? craft area? etc) and do a few 20/10s or 45/15s there.

Last week I cleaned a lot for a party Friday night. I've managed to mostly clean up after party. Was lazy last night for sure though and I'm busy out of the house tonight.

I travel this week Thurs-Monday so who knows what the house will look like when I come home to a weekend of my BF alone...eeps

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2013, 04:51:08 PM »
Nikki- you are smart and an inspiration!

Actually, I'm just obsessed with efficiency, and taking care of things at home is really the only place I have full control over that (I certainly don't at work!!!!).

I was thinking about something else when I was getting ready for work this morning: Making sure everything is clean BEFORE I go to work really helps me emotionally when I come back home. If I return to a room that just needs a quick sweeping (because of cat litter), that's so much more relaxing than dirty dishes from breakfast waiting for me.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #129 on: November 06, 2013, 06:27:50 AM »
When I WFH, I take my commuting time and use it on getting the house in order. Before 9 am, I have dinner cooking, the floors swept and laundry in the wash. It's amazing what you can get done in 45 min to an hour when you focus--and all before 9 am!

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #130 on: November 06, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »
Haven't gotten much other indepth cleaning done aside from the usual "keep things from getting worse" stuff.  My focus has been on getting some backlog computer work for my business done.  My bedroom has been keeping neat and tidy though.  Make my bed every day and I make sure to keep clothes in their rightful places. :)

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #131 on: November 06, 2013, 11:42:31 AM »
Haven't gotten much other indepth cleaning done aside from the usual "keep things from getting worse" stuff.  My focus has been on getting some backlog computer work for my business done.  My bedroom has been keeping neat and tidy though.  Make my bed every day and I make sure to keep clothes in their rightful places. :)

Great going!

zinnie

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #132 on: November 06, 2013, 01:23:52 PM »
I started following UFYH and I am [almost] a clean person now. It was totally what I needed to stop procrastinating with cleaning and just tackle small things at once. Thanks, Norrie, for posting that! It is awesome. :)

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #133 on: November 06, 2013, 02:43:27 PM »
I'm glad that it's helped!
I really appreciate her positive attitude and the start where you're at perspective. After reading the site for a year or so, it really seems that she's transformed lives in a pretty powerful way. For me, UFYH and Mr. Mustache are a really nice fit.

That said, I have done absolutely no cleaning for, um, I don't even remember how long. Dh works from home and hasn't been as busy lately, so he's been keeping up on the laundry, sweeping, changing sheets, etc. I'm glad that someone is, because I've suuucked lately. Just worn the crap out these days, bordering on being a complainypants.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #134 on: November 07, 2013, 09:20:10 AM »

That said, I have done absolutely no cleaning for, um, I don't even remember how long. Dh works from home and hasn't been as busy lately, so he's been keeping up on the laundry, sweeping, changing sheets, etc. I'm glad that someone is, because I've suuucked lately. Just worn the crap out these days, bordering on being a complainypants.

We can't be superheros *every* day. =-)

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #135 on: November 07, 2013, 09:26:07 AM »
Started washing the dishes while my lunch was cooking up on the stove.  Time to get my ass back there and finish the job. ;)

lizfish

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2013, 04:14:03 AM »
When I WFH, I take my commuting time and use it on getting the house in order. Before 9 am, I have dinner cooking, the floors swept and laundry in the wash. It's amazing what you can get done in 45 min to an hour when you focus--and all before 9 am!

This is a good idea. I'm not too good on working from home days but quite often I'll get the washing on at least, or unload the DW. My nemisis is washing up (things that we choose not to put in the DW) perhaps if I could get in this habit  before settling down to work our kitchen would be a nicer place.

It's a tricky one as I wouldn't be doing any chores during the working day if I'm out, but because you can do chores when working from home, you feel like you should. When in fact what you should be doing is working (that's a whole other struggle)

Will try to use UFYH more this week. 20 mins a day is nothing, but could really help.

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2013, 07:25:29 AM »
I cleaned off all of my counters yesterday morning.  The big problem here is clutter:  papers like mail and school announcements pile up, clothes that have gotten too small, etc.  Yes, I have a system, but then I get too busy and it gets neglected.

Lina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2013, 07:55:58 AM »
I cleaned off all of my counters yesterday morning.  The big problem here is clutter:  papers like mail and school announcements pile up, clothes that have gotten too small, etc.  Yes, I have a system, but then I get too busy and it gets neglected.

Maybe you can tweak your system a little bit so that it doesn't get neglected when you are busy. I am always trying to tweak my systems so that they work better.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2013, 09:28:50 AM »
Laundry going, dishes in progress. I'll put my laundry away, and my apartment will be clean! We even shampooed the carpets.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2013, 07:31:53 PM »

This is a good idea. I'm not too good on working from home days but quite often I'll get the washing on at least, or unload the DW. My nemisis is washing up (things that we choose not to put in the DW) perhaps if I could get in this habit  before settling down to work our kitchen would be a nicer place.

It's a tricky one as I wouldn't be doing any chores during the working day if I'm out, but because you can do chores when working from home, you feel like you should. When in fact what you should be doing is working (that's a whole other struggle)

Will try to use UFYH more this week. 20 mins a day is nothing, but could really help.

In addition to whatever I get done before work, I do a little during lunch. I am making my lunch anyway when I WFH, so I will clean up as I go along. That means a few things in the kitchen get put away/cleaned. I will also put the laundry that I threw into the washer before work into the dryer during lunch, etc, etc. Then, after work, I can take it out of the dryer and fold. It's amazing what two hours of not commuting can do for your house!

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #141 on: November 17, 2013, 06:45:03 PM »
Did a series of short cleaning sessions this weekend. I have to say that my house is looking better than it has in weeks, and it's still not properly clean by my standards.

My goal is to have a 20 minute session every night after work to tidy and clean the most obvious mess. This should reduce the amount of time I have to spend on the weekend cleaning up the 'minor' messes before I can get to the deep cleaning.

CG

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #142 on: November 21, 2013, 01:36:34 AM »
I looked at that UFYH site and was disappointed. I couldn't see any of the before & after photos, nor any interactive area like this thread.

When I rented my flat I did clean it every 6 months when the real estate agent was coming to inspect, but now that I own it (owner was going to sell and I couldn't face moving) I can't remember when I last dusted or vacuumed. I do clean the loo and the wash-basin and the bath when I notice they need it, and I do the washing-up once a day and wipe down kitchen surfaces while the kettle boils for my coffee.

Living alone with my grown-up son as my only (very occasional) visitor, I'm no longer bothered by dust or dirt on the floor, now do I allow myself to feel any guilt about it. I think I'm still reacting against 23 years living with a very controlling and ultra-clean and tidy man, and being an unpaid housekeeper for someone whose standards were so much higher than mine.

On another tack, where do you look up uses for part-used ingredients bought for a recipe you can't imagine making again? Tamarind pulp, and assorted curry pastes now that I've "gone off" making curries?

nikki

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #143 on: November 21, 2013, 02:02:26 AM »
On another tack, where do you look up uses for part-used ingredients bought for a recipe you can't imagine making again? Tamarind pulp, and assorted curry pastes now that I've "gone off" making curries?

http://www.supercook.com/

Or I just put things that sound okay together and eat it anyway. I'm not big on keeping lots of spices and condiments on hand, so my dishes are usually pretty simple. It's hard to really screw up when most things are in the similar flavor profiles, I guess.

Mr. Minsc

• Stubble
    • ThriftyHamster
« Reply #144 on: November 21, 2013, 10:39:56 AM »
I looked at that UFYH site and was disappointed. I couldn't see any of the before & after photos, nor any interactive area like this thread.

Check out the tumblr, that's where all the before and afters are.

Posted this in another thread on the DIY forum but it should serve as inspiration posting here as well. :)  Successfully cleaned my oven door!  Later this evening or tomorrow I'll tackle the rest of the oven.

On a semi-related note, over the weekend I gave the stove top a good cleaning, pulled out the stove and cleaned, and pulled out the fridge for a cleaning.  More tasks successfully checked off the list. :D

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #145 on: November 21, 2013, 10:52:22 AM »
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this thread. I'm a big fan of un-cluttering but when it comes to routine cleaning, I'm also a big fan of lowering my standard of cleanliness. Having certain expectations of what the house "should" look like lures us into crazy things like hiring housekeepers, or not inviting friends over because of shame.

I do like having friends over because it inspires me to clean. But at the same time I'm pretty comfortable having anyone over even if I didn't have time to clean. I NEVER apologize for my "messy" house. I tell myself, "At worst, I'm making someone else feel better about their house."

Not that my house is terribly messy. I've seen worse. I non-judgmentally allow their houses to make me feel better about mine... anyway I don't have small children anymore, so it stays a bit tidier than it used to.

Inspired by MMM's body building articles, but absolutely clueless about body building, I googled and came across Scooby's Workshop. He says the reason he has time to stay in great shape is because he spends less time on other things, such as cleaning. He just lets things be a bit messier.

One reason I'm very aware of the nefarious effect of cleaning, is because I'm an emotional cleaner. When I'm unhappy or uncomfortable, I clean. I noticed that after living in our new house for a couple months, I must finally be feeling at home, because there was a skillet in the kitchen that had been waiting to be washed for several days.

Yes, staying on top of it makes it easier to keep up with. Yes, it is probably embarrassing to have a house that smells like cat poo or garbage. But we stress out WAY too much about what other people might think. They probably won't even notice.

I get uncomfortable when people are too apologetic about their messy homes. I tell them flat out "just remember your messy home might make someone else feel better about their slightly less messy home. And if you apologize so much, I'll start to feel bad about my much messier home."

Now that I've said that I'm going to go clean the kitchen and feel like a hypocrite! :D

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #146 on: November 21, 2013, 11:04:12 AM »
I totally get your point, and I don't think that it should be everyone's ultimate dream to have a spotless house.

But for me, clutter and mess depress me and make me feel overwhelmed and anxious. I can't work or focus as well with clutter around, and I relax so much more in a clean-ish environment. Dh works from home, so he does most of the cleaning these days, and cleaning never interferes with other things that we'd rather/need to be doing.

I was really starting to feel like we were drowning in our belongings, and just felt ashamed at the sheer amount of stuff that we had. Everything in my life felt overwhelmed and like too much. Now that we've started purging, I feel much more in control of my life, finances, work, etc.

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #147 on: November 21, 2013, 11:08:23 AM »
I'm going to play devil's advocate on this thread. I'm a big fan of un-cluttering but when it comes to routine cleaning, I'm also a big fan of lowering my standard of cleanliness. Having certain expectations of what the house "should" look like lures us into crazy things like hiring housekeepers, or not inviting friends over because of shame.

I get what you are saying, but I'd note that cleaning is also preventive maintance.  For example, my DH hates cleaning with a passion, so he doesn't do it.  But...this means that the tub has a little mold in the grout that could have been avoided. 

It's also unhealthy to live in a lot of dust.  Some of those friends might have dust allergies and it might be making them in particular very uncomfortable.

So it's a balance.  It's not freaking out and vacuming every day, but not entirely neglecting it for example.

melalvai

• Pencil Stache
    • Bicycling and Walking Around
« Reply #148 on: November 21, 2013, 11:20:44 AM »
It's also unhealthy to live in a lot of dust.  Some of those friends might have dust allergies and it might be making them in particular very uncomfortable.
We used to have a friend who was terribly allergic to cats & dogs. When he was coming over, I'd shut the cats in the bedroom & vacuum all the carpets and the couch & chair. And dust everything. He wasn't the sort of friend who might drop in anytime. I always knew in advance when he'd be coming.

There's probably an equally good argument to be made for raising your standard of cleanliness, not for health (except in extreme cases) but for marital harmony. For example, I have substantially lowered my standard of cleanliness and it has had a huge impact on my marital harmony. My husband will clean sometimes just to please me, and it does please me. But if his standard of cleanliness were to increase, such that he actually noticed when something was dirty, that would make an even bigger difference.

I know how to become more comfortable with more mess, but I do not know how to become less comfortable with more mess.

Cinder

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: November 21, 2013, 12:58:52 PM »
(For his point of view, he feels I have higher standards, thus I should do the work for those higher standards.  I think I'm not unreasonable and most people would agree with me on where the standards ought to be.  For an example, when we met, he hadn't scrubbed his tub once in the 5 years since he had moved in.)

I never 'learned' how to clean growing up because my mother was a neat freak.. The vacuum would be run one to three times a day, dusting would happen almost every day, things always had to be cleaned up, etc..

Anytime that I would attempt to clean anything, it was never good enough and she would just end up re-cleaning it, so I always thought 'why bother' and just didn't clean, she'd get worked up and clean it anyways later. 

Both the DW and I both aren't super 'neat' people, but we do start to see the house begin resembling a hoarders show, or start seeing my cat chase dust-bunnies around on the floor, then we dig in and do a little deep cleaning.

After clearing a spot and making it easier to walk around the place, two days later yay! it's more floor to dump things on. UGH.

I have this same problem, but it's not anyone's fault.. We clean something, and where is the easiest place to put something you're not sure where to go with it?  IN THE CLEANED SPOT.  The trick is to have an actual place for everything, and if stuff gets 'dumped' somewhere, go dump it on the person's bed... (doesn't work for the DW and I, if I pile up her clothes that I've washed and folded and stacked and put on her side of the bed, she just pushes them over on my side of The bed and goes to sleep if I'm not in there fast enough...)

^^ This...  When we have guests coming, I get more cleaning done in two hours then I usually get done in two months!

I do like having friends over because it inspires me to clean. But at the same time I'm pretty comfortable having anyone over even if I didn't have time to clean. I NEVER apologize for my "messy" house. I tell myself, "At worst, I'm making someone else feel better about their house."

I get uncomfortable when people are too apologetic about their messy homes. I tell them flat out "just remember your messy home might make someone else feel better about their slightly less messy home. And if you apologize so much, I'll start to feel bad about my much messier home."

I have a friend who's apartment usually turns into quite a sty... when I end up visiting, I usually help him clean stuff.. It's hard to get motivation on your own, but when someone else is helping you, it can get done.. Nothing like picking up a plastic bag, and walking around picking up things and asking 'can I throw this away?' to get someone motivated to help out!

There was one time when I was over for a party, and he was trying to get his fiance to do the dishes, and I couldn't even use the faucet to fill up my water cup.  I was also a bit buzzed at the time, but I just ended up hand-washing all of their dishes!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!