Author Topic: The Clean House Challenge  (Read 43035 times)

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
The Clean House Challenge
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:08:13 AM »
Since I ended my monthly housecleaning service my home is just not quite the same.   I do like a clean and orderly space and I always spent time picking up before the service came.  Now without that trigger, my home is not as nice as I would like it to be .  A too busy work schedule and minor health issues did not help either.

Well enough of that!  I signed up for the Flylady emails and I am starting with the shiny sink today.  Does anyone else want to join me?

Norrie

• Bristles
Re: The Clean House Challenge
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 10:00:05 AM »
I'm totally down. We've been keeping our stuff nice and tight for about a year, thanks to a website/Tumblr called Unfuck Your Habitat. I tried Flylady about 13 years ago, but she made me feel like a total asshole, and just rubbed me the wrong way.

UFYH is awesome. Lots of swearing, lots of great challenges, and an understanding that people may not want to shine their fucking sink. Also, the before and afters that people post are often pretty moving.

Right now we're attempting to turn our playroom into another living area, because our kids have outgrown a need for a playroom. But there is SO MUCH STUFF. God.

Zaga

• Magnum Stache
    • A Wall of Hats
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
I am so in, I'm in exactly the same position having just quit my monthly cleaning person in August.  My house is starting to bug me and I need to get it in gear!

Goals today are the master bedroom and the 2 bathrooms, get them cleaned, dusted, and things put away, all while doing the laundry.  That's not too much for one day I think.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 10:21:22 AM »
I followed the Fly Lady for about 6 months when I was living alone. I found the emails annoying (weekly blessings and telling me to get dressed).

I'm interested in a cleaning motivation without the mention of tying my shoes. I think unfuck your habitat looks appealing.

KimPossible

• Stubble
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 10:51:29 AM »
Going to have to check out Unfuck Your Habitat.  I'm not a flylady person (totally agree with the reasons y'all didn't like her), and my habitat could definitely use some unfucking :).

Norrie, I completely understand the TOO MUCH STUFF.  (Off to clean out my closet....)

tomatoprincess

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 01:51:01 PM »
I'm in!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 03:06:10 PM »
I'm so in!!  My husband and I do a good job keeping the house tidy (not much clutter, things generally put away) but we're not so great on the actual cleaning part.  I've been trying to step it up a bit in terms of actual cleanliness like vacuuming, mopping, wiping down counters, dusting, cleaning toilet, keeping stovetop clean, etc, but could definitely use an extra boost.

I'd also like to declutter even more because we have a roommate moving in and we'll be losing our (really MY) junk room to the roommate.  And just because I generally enjoy simplifying and organizing.

Gonna check out UFYH.

ichangedmyname

• Bristles
    • Luxe Frugality
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2013, 03:09:04 PM »
I SO wanna be in. I need to be in. Our house is a mess. :( I think I'll check out that app. Thanks since I haven't heard of it before.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 04:25:43 PM »
I'm totally down. We've been keeping our stuff nice and tight for about a year, thanks to a website/Tumblr called Unfuck Your Habitat. I tried Flylady about 13 years ago, but she made me feel like a total asshole, and just rubbed me the wrong way.

UFYH is awesome. Lots of swearing, lots of great challenges, and an understanding that people may not want to shine their fucking sink. Also, the before and afters that people post are often pretty moving.

Right now we're attempting to turn our playroom into another living area, because our kids have outgrown a need for a playroom. But there is SO MUCH STUFF. God.

One minute on Flylady's site, and I was ready to lose my mind. If someone is using curse words in relation to housework, then that is probably the site for me.

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:32:35 PM »
I'm trying to get on a more regular cleaning schedule by using reminders on my phone. We don't have too much trouble with tidy, but it helps a lot with reminding me to vac/mop/dust on particular days (otherwise I put it off until tomorrow and tomorrow never seems to get here).

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 04:33:51 PM »
Yep.  It's probably secretly authored by the MMM's.  Enough cursing to keep it lively and a lot of common sense and old fashioned ideas of how to get stuff done.  Plus vinegar and baking soda!  In fact, it reminded me to clean the coffeemaker and the microwave!

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2013, 04:40:36 PM »
I love the idea about the vinegar and water in the microwave. I do not understand how vinegar keeps the water from getting too hot, but I am willing to let that remain a Mystery of the Universe.

Coincidentally, I've already started to UF things by getting rid of 100 items. I am getting rid of:

48 books,
3 handbags,
2 pair shoes,
6 DVDs.
3 games,
1 box ornaments,
1 car seat
1 baby gate
1 car seat cover (sold on ebay!)
1 other car seat cover
sheets.
1 dehumidifier (donated!)
4 shutters (donated!)
2 bean bag chairs

74 items

I might need to make it 200 items.

Modified to add more.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 11:49:32 AM by oldtoyota »

Zamboni

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 04:44:12 PM »
Unfuck Your Habitat. I tried Flylady about 13 years ago, but she made me feel like a total asshole, and just rubbed me the wrong way.

Me too :0)

I'm going to try UYH and see if I like it better.  I don't care if my sink shines.

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2013, 06:32:38 PM »
Hey, whatever works to motivate ya’ all is great.   MMM is my exception because I normally prefer my motivation on the gentle side.

Today my kitchen is very clean, laundry, sweeping and vacuuming are done.  This week I want to get my master bedroom perfectly clean so I have a peaceful place to sleep.

4alpacas

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2013, 06:47:21 PM »
I just bought the UFYH app. I'm already planning to unfuck my weekend next weekend :)

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2013, 06:55:15 PM »
I'm going to jump on the unfucking bandwagon (if I ever thought I'd type that...) I need some sense that I could actually stop with the cleaning service without the world ending...

HappierAtHome

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2013, 06:56:52 PM »
Oh man. I'm so in with this. My house is kind of disgusting right now :-P

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2013, 07:10:17 PM »
I'm going to jump on the unfucking bandwagon (if I ever thought I'd type that...)

LOL

Best. Thread. Ever.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
Getting to use the word 'unfucking' is part of what has suddenly made cleaning our house more fun. At first I read the site for pure enjoyment and appreciation of swearing (because I'm a 13 year old). And then I read it because some of the stories made me so sad, then so happy when they overcame. And THEN (after reading it for about four or five or maybe eight months) I finally got off my ass and got to work.

It is astonishing how much I can get done in twenty minutes. I can unload the dryer, fold the clothes, move the stuff over from the washing machine, start a new load, unload the dishwasher, put the clean stuff away, and pretty much tidy the entire kitchen. I found myself getting mad when the app would tell me to sit down and chill out. I wanted to keep going. WHAT?! Sorcery, as it's often called on the site.

Our master bedroom closet looks so awesome these days that I wish that you could all come over right now and take a look.

imustachemystash

• Bristles
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 09:50:24 PM »
Love it!  I'm going to check out Unfuck right now!  I have two little crumb crunchers (literally)  leaving a whirlwind of mess every time I turn around!

Crabricorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »
I'm in! I've already been working on this project, but I'd like to kick it into high gear and get my house really clean!

RMD

• Stubble
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2013, 03:58:08 AM »
I need help.  I've never heard of UFYH but will need to check it out.  (Can't now...blocked at work.) I tried Flylady and it did work...but I also felt like I was a 12 year old and it made me want to throw tantrums and rebel against authority.

I can have things running smoothly for a month or so and then something happens and all hell breaks loose.  I need to get things in order before Thanksgiving as I'll be hosting again this year since MIL will be undergoing radiation treatment around then.

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2013, 06:17:38 AM »
I also will check out that link.  I used to be inspired by the Unclutterer forum but they changed the format and it is now very user-unfriendly.  My cluttered house shows the result.  I need to start going to 365lessthings more.  One down side to retiring, I am home a lot more and that means more activities going on - the house is actually messier than when I was working and had less time.  It was the same with kids - my house went downhill after our DD was born - not only was there more stuff to deal with, but we were home more.

Another Reader

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2013, 07:40:12 AM »
Funny how you think once you retire you will be home more and the house will be organized, clutter free and spotless.  For my house, it means the paperwork is in better order (because that's where the money is) but everything else is about the same.  More activity=more mess, even if you have more time to clean up.

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2013, 08:41:14 AM »
I would have been interested.  What's with the F-word becoming part of normal, everyday vernacular?  I hate housework as much as the next person, but I am a lady.  Not to mention I often have budding little readers over my shoulder while I'm on the computer.  Sorry if this sounds judge-y, but a possibly good thread just got ruined for me. 

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2013, 08:57:14 AM »
It sounds like Flylady is probably more of your speed. She's got TONS of good information over there.
I'm sorry that you are offended by swearing. I'm also a lady, but we seem to have different tastes. Amazing how that works. This seems like an unusual choice of websites if you're not a fan. The Dave Ramsey site is totally kid-friendly. (I don't say that in a snarky tone, I say that as someone who posts over there too.)

Simple Abundant Living

• Pencil Stache
    • Simple Abundant Living
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2013, 09:37:56 AM »
It sounds like Flylady is probably more of your speed. She's got TONS of good information over there.
I'm sorry that you are offended by swearing. I'm also a lady, but we seem to have different tastes. Amazing how that works. This seems like an unusual choice of websites if you're not a fan. The Dave Ramsey site is totally kid-friendly. (I don't say that in a snarky tone, I say that as someone who posts over there too.)

I've read some of flylady's website.  It's fine, but it wasn't life changing for me. I do agree that I am a happier person if I have a clean kitchen to wake up to. I've also read dave Ramsey. He has a place in financial advice, but I disagree with some of his philosophies, both in finance and politics.

I'm really not a prude and I don't have a problem with most swear words used in moderation. I realize that particular swear word is being used more and more in everyday speech. I've even heard of kindergarten kids using it regularly. But to me, it will always be a demeaning and degrading reference to sexual intimacy. And really, what does that have to do with the fact that your house is dirty or cluttered?  It's just a cheap joke to get more traction for the website and to make it young and hip. But you are what you eat and think. So while some people may avoid a high information diet, I'm making an effort to avoid websites (and threads)that use it gratuitously and have to resort to such tactics.  This website has language from time to time, but I can usually avoid reading too much of it.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2013, 09:39:55 AM »
I'm in.  Downloaded the UFYH app after checking out the website.  LOVE it. 

I also suffer from "my house always looks tidy and unlcuttered but don't look too closely at anything" syndrome.  I tend to get things looking acceptable for a "someone stopping by" standard and leave off other, deeper cleaning.  Then I try to tackle that sort of cleaning in one big event and despair.  I also have a goldfish cracker crumb problem.

I need to also UF the outside of my house.  My porch is terrible with spiderwebs and leaves and gunk and dirt.  The good news is that for the next two weeks or so, my house is naturally decorated for halloween!  Yay? 

RetiredAt63

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Senior Mustachian
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2013, 10:16:58 AM »
This inspired me - I have been working on my bedroom.  It has ended up being the "toss things in there so they are out of the way" room - to the point that it was my junk room.  I can now see the floor!  I found two stacks of magazines - oops.  Curtains for decorating - first I need to get the rooms painted.  These things should be put away until I am ready to use them, not just left sitting on the floor in anticipation  :-(

Plus other stuff - my DD and I used to do competitive dance - I have a bag full of medals and so does she.  What do people do with them?  They are all specific to the competition - if they were generic I could just donate them, but . ....  I only have a few trophies so I will keep those - she has masses of trophies, most of which are not keepers. 

The basic sorting and tidying is OK, a bit wearing - it is the decision making that really drags me down.

I did find a fun way to do this, not Flylady's 15 minutes (which are too short).  I put on a music podcast (for me it is Vinyl Tap with Randy Bachman, but music tastes vary) and I get about 53 minutes done, then the podcast is over and I am ready for a break.  I don't want a talking podcast because then it would distract me from the decluttering/cleaning too much.

How are others doing?  My shelves should be dry, I am off back to the wars  ;-)

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »

Plus other stuff - my DD and I used to do competitive dance - I have a bag full of medals and so does she.  What do people do with them?  They are all specific to the competition - if they were generic I could just donate them, but . ....  I only have a few trophies so I will keep those - she has masses of trophies, most of which are not keepers. 

The basic sorting and tidying is OK, a bit wearing - it is the decision making that really drags me down.

Maybe take photos of each of the trophies, and then just trash them? When you say that they're specific, is it just a little engraved plate that could be removed and replaced? If so, maybe donate as someone could possibly use them. But no need to save the ones that aren't of sentimental value.

I get the part about the decision making being the hard part. That definitely sums up my main problem. I can scrub and wipe down and sweep and change sheets, etc., but it's the sorting through stuff that may have sentimental value and/or deciding which things to part with that really slows me down.

Right now I have 10 years of my daughter's dancing costumes (tap, jazz, and ballet, so 30 costumes) in my master closet. I want to save them for her, but I can't figure out a good method of storage. Basically I think that I'll shove them in Tupperware and then store in the attic, but I think that we'll have problems with heat and bugs and such. So I'm sort of paralyzed. Maybe this is the week that I'll deal with them.

Our biggest PITA is paperwork. Papers coming home from school with the kids, mail, appointment reminders, magazines, etc. We've asked those who send us magazine subscriptions as gifts to please not renew (felt like jerks, but we never read them). I've made folders for tons of stuff and try to file it right away. But gah, there's still tons of it.

Also, Legos. I can't even talk about it.

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2013, 10:45:10 AM »
Right now I have 10 years of my daughter's dancing costumes (tap, jazz, and ballet, so 30 costumes) in my master closet. I want to save them for her, but I can't figure out a good method of storage.

You know, if it were me, I'd save one costume for the treasure box and sell the rest RIGHT NOW on Craiglsist since people are looking for halloweeny sorts of things.  If you save 10 years of costumes for her for sentimental reasons, you're just making a new generation of "I have to save these because my mom saved them for me."  Save one of them to represent the 10 years of dance.  You'll be doing her a favor when she's an adult and trying to find room for all of her stuff. 

CommonCents

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2013, 11:23:30 AM »
I found it really helpful to make a concerted effort to declutter.  Then, keeping clean the table/desk tops etc. was easier.  I kept track - initially I aimed to get rid of 7 items a day.  I eventually set a goal of 500 items.  My laptop died when the list I was keeping hit about 450, but I do still want to meet the goal at some point, I've just tabled it in the meantime for other to-do items.  It's a little embarrassing, but going through things, I found a skirt someone gave to me (that didn't fit them) with the tags still on that I had not remembered I had.  It's also critical to keep on top of items that are coming into the apartment as well or you never get ahead.

Now, if I could just figure out how to get my DH to help out with the cleaning, I'd be happy and all set.

Lina

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2013, 01:30:20 PM »
I thought it was interesting to see the before and after pictures. Seriously those people have way to much stuff. It's not surprising that it gets cluttered. In most of the pictures they would have needed to get rid of half of the stuff to make it possible to keep it uncluttered. My tables are unfortunately always getting overflowed with stuff.

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2013, 07:01:49 PM »
I thought it was interesting to see the before and after pictures. Seriously those people have way to much stuff. It's not surprising that it gets cluttered. In most of the pictures they would have needed to get rid of half of the stuff to make it possible to keep it uncluttered. My tables are unfortunately always getting overflowed with stuff.

Yeah, but the thing that I like about UFYH is the non-judgmental bit about starting where you're at. Some people have too much, some have too little. Some people have mental illnesses, some have physical limitations, and some (like me) are just lazy. I like that it's a process, and that any success is celebrated. But I'm a social worker, so I like to hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

I forgot another tip that has helped our house tremendously: every night at about 8pm, the whole family does 12 minutes of cleaning/tidying. There's no set jobs, just hop to whatever needs to be done. Kids left towels on counter after showers? Someone hangs them up. It's trash night? Someone collects it from each room, and someone else takes it out. Clean clothes need to be put away? I'll blast through the house and put stacks on the appropriate beds.

Because there are four of us, 12 minutes each adds up to 48 minutes of cleaning a day, which is pretty awesome. We originally tried to do 30 minutes each day, but it was too much for our nine year old, and the ROI was not working out. At about 12 minutes, he'd crap out and head into playing with Legos.
But pretty much everyone can work for 12 minutes without stopping.

MelodysMustache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2013, 10:35:37 PM »
I wrapped up my day with a clean kitchen and ready for a fresh start tomorrow. 

I have medical stuff going on tomorrow which will knock me out for a couple of days.  I hope my place stays semi-clean until I am back on my feet.  Just want to stay even through the week and next weekend I will tackle my home office.

Freckles

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2013, 11:18:13 PM »
I've been thinking the last couple of days how much I'd like to hire a housekeeper.  Even once a month, I told myself.  Who needs frugality, I started thinking.  So yeah, I need this.  I'm in.  Off to check out Unfuck Your Habitat now.  What an awesome name.

FI@2022Jem

• Stubble
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 12:18:54 AM »
I'm totally inspired- I'm in.  In general, I am in the naturally untidy, dust collecting, lazy camp- not filthy, but embarrassed with unexpected visitors level...  I also am a social worker and have been known to have the mouth of a sailor but I will limit it for now for civility's sake. 
Browsed the UFYH site, awesome! dusted and organized my nightstand for the first time in *months*, wiped down the bathroom surfaces and sprayed the toilets for a scrub before bed.  I started on my closet using a few of the 20 minutes cleaning/organizing, 10 minute rest sets.  I feel energized and will likely do one or two more 20-10's tonight but don't want to burn out.  I plan to finish the closet by Friday and make a donation run to the goodwill (and grab a write-off!) by the weekend.  Anyone is welcome to call me out on this for accountability sake :)

Thanks for the thread!

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 06:41:23 AM »
Was browsing the unfuck your habitat yesterday.  I enjoy it, its my style of humor.

Used it as inspiration yesterday.  Cleaned the dishes after dinner and put them all away.  I resisted the urge to just rest and watch the vikings game (I'm glad I didn't that was an awwwwful game).  Was so nice to wake up to a clean kitchen.

oldtoyota

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 08:18:51 AM »
Before work this morning, I got a lot done. I woke up and took the sheets straight off the bed and carried them downstairs into the laundry. Then, I washed up some dishes from earlier risers and the cat bowl, swept the kitchen floor and the LR floor, and vacuumed in the LR. Wiped out the fridge and put some bleach in the tub and toilet. I lost track of the 20 min, so I may have gone longer. I did not feel burned out though. I had some more time, so I moved on to tackling a paper pile on my bedside table. Also dusted the table and swiffered under the bed and other bedroom furniture.

Spouse likes the idea of spending 20 min a day on the house, so this might work out. He's going to do some tonight.

Also, I am increasing kidlet's allowance. She will get $8 per week and have to learn budgeting. She will also have certain chores. She can pick some of the chores from a list I create and suggest others. She told me (joking, I hope) that she doesn't mind not having money. If she is serious and not kidding me, that could be a challenge.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:21:55 AM by oldtoyota »

lizzzi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2013, 08:56:28 AM »
Fabulous website, and the first housekeeping advice I've ever heard that makes sense for the way we all live these days--in the new Millenium. I've told both my grown-up daughters about the site, and they are both checking it out. I never could make them take an interest in housework, and their homes are usually unkempt and uninviting. (I'm not judging...just saying.) The three of us had a good laugh about Unfudging Our Habitats--we call it unfudging because of all the little grandchildren underfoot who might shock preschool and first-grade teachers by dropping the F-bomb. I did an awesome 45/15 this morning on my one daughter's house (long story, but I was helping out for a reason--I don't usually) and my 20/10s in my own house have had incredible results. As many have said, I can keep things straightened up well enough--have eliminated a lot of excess--but have a lot of paperwork and filing to sort through, and also tend to get behind on vacuuming and dusting. Twenty minutes is enough to get a lot done without being overwhelmed. And blessings to UFYH for forbidding marathons!

Crabricorn

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2013, 08:56:27 PM »
I'm unfucking my house, too! I love the site - it's so easy I feel like I can actually do it. I'm amazed at what I can get done in 20 minutes!

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2013, 09:21:46 PM »
We need to have a 20 minute challenge one day, and see how far each of us gets. Today I UFMH by asking my husband to clean our bathroom and change our sheets while I was at work. I'm really getting the hang of this cleaning thing.   :)

KulshanGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2013, 09:49:16 PM »
I am on a 10 minute break RIGHT NOW.   I just got a lot of the kitchen unfucked.  I love this app. 

Also, it told me I have a nice ass.  And then it told me to get off of it and get moving, but still!  :) 

Osprey

• Stubble
    • Osprey's Lab
« Reply #43 on: October 23, 2013, 12:36:54 AM »
Another +1 for UFYH!
The Fly Lady felt a bit like being nagged by my mom, plus she is about a million Cleanliness Levels higher than I ever intend to be. There's something to be said for having lower standards...

kt

« Reply #44 on: October 23, 2013, 03:46:41 AM »
Another +1 for UFYH!
There's something to be said for having lower standards...

+1
totally! and in many things, particularly for a mustachian. i can't imagine trying to ensure all my mugs/plates/cutlery/furniture/accessories/you name it matches or even coordinates. not lower standards, just different!

EK

• Pencil Stache
    • Happily Enough
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2013, 07:34:15 AM »
I took about 10 minutes yesterday to fix our porch situation!!  Lots of dead bugs, spiderwebs, 4 dead plants, lots of debris... yuck!!!  So I swept, got down the spiderwebs, threw out the dead plants!! Then this morning I put out some little Halloween decorations.  It's much cheerier now.  :D

« Last Edit: October 23, 2013, 07:39:06 AM by Evakatharina »

geekette

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2013, 05:55:56 PM »
Love the yellow door!

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2013, 07:06:58 PM »
Love the yellow door!

Me too! That is one lovely entry area for your house. Nicely done.

impaire

• Stubble
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2013, 08:02:22 PM »
That yellow is such a happy color!

Pantry totally unfucked tonight--that allowed me to discover that 8-month-old (open) bags of dried fruits and nuts can, err, breed life.

On a more mustachian note, I also took the occasion to do some recipe research on how to use some of the older, weirder stuff in the pantry. The dates are going first, and the coconut flour next. And I'm never, ever rebuying either of these...

Norrie

• Bristles
« Reply #49 on: October 23, 2013, 08:10:35 PM »

On a more mustachian note, I also took the occasion to do some recipe research on how to use some of the older, weirder stuff in the pantry. The dates are going first, and the coconut flour next. And I'm never, ever rebuying either of these...

Ha! I totally get it. I'm gluten-intolerant, and in the early days of going gluten-free, I bought all kinds of expensive/weird flours. Most of them are totally grody, and while I don't want to waste them, I also don't want to actually use them.
Thankfully, my husband is like a human garbage disposal, and will eat whatever you put in front of him.