Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 278956 times)

noble_goal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #1450 on: September 11, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »
I haven't written in a while but I do jump on to check how you guys are doing from time to time.  I was active around 2015-2016, but then decided on OMY.  Work is super lucrative and rarely terrible, but of course not half as appealing as the freedom of a vacation day.  I'm tracking for ~2M in 28 months time, and I'll be 35 years old.  I feel grateful knowing my theoretical SWR already exceeds my expenses.  It has become a question of when and how to slow down.

I saved up some vacation and took all the summer Friday's off this year, as an experiment.  It was delicious.  I started making educational courses and posting them on Udemy, and I'm making $500/month on the side from that.  I started playing pool more often and really enjoying the gradual improvements in my game. 

Now I find myself rehearsing the future conversation with my bosses where I request to work Monday through Thursday.  The worst they could say is "no" or counter with a compromise.  2 years ago, I would have sooner resigned than make this request, but now I feel more secure in my position, confident in the value of my contribution, empowered by my ability to walk in the not-so-distant future, and keen on making the role a better fit for my lifestyle in the long term.  If there is no potential for flexibility, finding that out sooner than later is a good thing.

If anyone relates, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks for reading.

MrsWhipple

• Bristles
« Reply #1451 on: September 11, 2018, 09:39:52 PM »
Now I find myself rehearsing the future conversation with my bosses where I request to work Monday through Thursday.  The worst they could say is "no" or counter with a compromise.  2 years ago, I would have sooner resigned than make this request, but now I feel more secure in my position, confident in the value of my contribution, empowered by my ability to walk in the not-so-distant future, and keen on making the role a better fit for my lifestyle in the long term.  If there is no potential for flexibility, finding that out sooner than later is a good thing.
If you're in a company with flexibility and you're a stellar employee, you'd be surprised what you can ask for before they fire you. Especially in this hiring environment.

shinn497

• Stubble
« Reply #1452 on: September 14, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »
Is there a target FIRE 2018 thread?

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1453 on: September 14, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »
Is there a target FIRE 2018 thread?

Yes! You can find links for the other "Class of" threads here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/'class-of'cohort-what-year-will-you-fire/

The above is a pinned thread in Welcome and Discussion.

RedmondStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1454 on: September 16, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
I've seen other folks from the cohort checking in, so I figured I would too. I've been FIREd for about 9 months, and honestly have been struggling with the transition.

But finally, in the last few days, it feels like I'm turning a corner, and starting to settle into my FIREd life more comfortably. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I've done one hell of a lot of mental processing of lots of jobs spanning 3+ decades of work. I think it just takes time for your brain to sift through everything, especially things you did not allow yourself to deal with at the time because if you did, you'd have had to quit the job that was sustaining you financially.

The days can still be bumpy, but I'm feeling renewed interest in things I used to love when I was much younger. I sort of feel like I'm finally waking up.

Note -- I write this not to complain, but in case others are also struggling, so they know they're not alone. I wish I could say "X fixed everything" as guidance, but for me, it's a mystery. I think my subconscious just has its own agenda and requirements, and will take care of them in its own time.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1455 on: September 16, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
I've seen other folks from the cohort checking in, so I figured I would too. I've been FIREd for about 9 months, and honestly have been struggling with the transition.

But finally, in the last few days, it feels like I'm turning a corner, and starting to settle into my FIREd life more comfortably. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I've done one hell of a lot of mental processing of lots of jobs spanning 3+ decades of work. I think it just takes time for your brain to sift through everything, especially things you did not allow yourself to deal with at the time because if you did, you'd have had to quit the job that was sustaining you financially.

The days can still be bumpy, but I'm feeling renewed interest in things I used to love when I was much younger. I sort of feel like I'm finally waking up.

Note -- I write this not to complain, but in case others are also struggling, so they know they're not alone. I wish I could say "X fixed everything" as guidance, but for me, it's a mystery. I think my subconscious just has its own agenda and requirements, and will take care of them in its own time.

I experienced the same thing.  My subconscious wanted to do a complete review of my life from the time I left home after High School.  Most of the reviews were based on jobs I held over the period of the last 30 years.  I just let it do it's own thing.  It happens mostly at 2:00 am.  It has been 12 months now and I think the review is mostly complete.  It certainly happens less and less.  Additionally it took about 3-4 months before the review started.  The first 3-4 months were serious decompression and I just let myself not do or care about anything during that period. 

I'm slowly coming around to doing the things I've either loved doing or wanted to do over the years (more cooking, canning, gardening, camping, woodworking and such). 

My approach was to let it be and let it happen naturally.  I felt things would be fine and I just needed some down time (like a year of down time!). 

I don't know how to discuss this with my DW.  She doesn't understand and I don't think I can help her understand.  She was a SAHM and hasn't worked even part time for the last 10 years when we became empty nesters. I don't think she'll ever understand the level of stress my job gave me or the temporary loss of soul I had from the sucking it did.

I feel pretty good now and I'm definitely more joyful and appreciative of what my life has been blessed with.  Enough of the looking back and review - I'm going to live in the moment and appreciate my awareness daily.

We discussed traveling with our travel trailer and I told her that I wanted to just pick up and go and any time without any planning.  Just hookup the trailer and get on the road and then decide where the hell we were going to go.  She came back a few days later and said she liked the idea.  So now I'm getting the trailer ready to travel and I'm going to keep it in that condition so we can pluck a wild hair when we want.  I'm getting pretty excited to do just that!

You're not alone. I don't think it's just you and I having this experience.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1456 on: September 19, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »
Hi, fuckers! Boy have I had a year! Rode out my terminal leave in January, then spent the next several months alternately bumming around with the dogs, doing little stints with the National Guard, working on rentals, traveling, and fixing up the house.

I will admit to being a spendypants dipshit and outrunning my passive income. But I've made do.

I got a call soon after leaving FT work asking if I would like to voluntarily activate with the USAF for six months in Germany, a place I have always wanted to spend some time. I accepted that, with plenty of time to prepare, and I have just arrived and begun working. Don't worry, I love this stuff... think of it as a highly paid vacation... and it doesn't represent a long-term return to the grind. ;)

Also nice from the long-term FI standpoint: promotion board results from April finally came out and I was selected(woot!) so my monthly gross from Oct thru Feb will be well into five figures after all pay, allowances, per diem, etc. Meantime I'll continue to streamline things back home and build an even lower-cost lifestyle. Good chance we'll move into one of the rentals my company owns, lose our $600 mortgage payment (or rent the place out to cover it), drop a car, and other possible changes.

RedmondStash, I feel your pain at times. I find that sometimes I am really no more inspired to go out and do the stuff I thought I really wanted to do, on a day when nobody is demanding anything from me at all, than I was motivated to do stupid PowerPoint slides for a stupid boss. I mean, I tell people half the reason I left when I did was that my startup had outgrown my ability to do it as a side job, and I actually did a better job of feeding and caring for it as a side job than I do now. I just haven't felt inspired. It's made me stop and reflect a lot on what I really want, why I've made the choices I did, and what will actually make me happy in the future. Upon reflection, the one thing that really lights me up every fuckin' time is travel. Whether alone in the car or leading a group around the world, I get the biggest thrill from entering new territory, and almost the same thrill from showing new things to people who haven't seen them before. Maybe I should be a tour guide if I feel the need to work again after this....

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #1457 on: September 21, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
Well done @zephyr911
Enjoy Germany

I'm now 14 months FIRE and it has been awesome, although I haven't been able to slow down like I wanted to. My volunteer work actually consumed me for a fair bit and still does, but that's ok because I love it.

The freedom from work allowed me to say yes to a massive amount of my passion side hustle pre FIRE fun of writing and photography. I have been blown away that my website that started as an MMM blog has turned into a revenue stream (in the sense that I get paid to write articles and shoot photos, not ad revenue).

I would never have imagined that in 2018 I would make enough income from getting paid to hike and travel and test out gear that I would cover my budgeted expenses and preserve my investments ... 0% WR lol

My wife still works at her business and loves it so her wage still helps pay the mortgage on our house. I don't have enough to cover all our expenses with my stash right now but with her still working allows us to save our investments while I am free from FT work. It gives me time to make her job easier and also her working helps us cover off the last bit of high school and start of university for our kids (19 and 17).

Next year I might take some of my dividends as income but who knows, that unsolicited work for photos and writing might keep rolling in.

RedmondStash

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1458 on: September 21, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »

I experienced the same thing.  My subconscious wanted to do a complete review of my life from the time I left home after High School.  Most of the reviews were based on jobs I held over the period of the last 30 years.  I just let it do it's own thing.  It happens mostly at 2:00 am.  It has been 12 months now and I think the review is mostly complete.  It certainly happens less and less.  Additionally it took about 3-4 months before the review started.  The first 3-4 months were serious decompression and I just let myself not do or care about anything during that period. 

I'm slowly coming around to doing the things I've either loved doing or wanted to do over the years (more cooking, canning, gardening, camping, woodworking and such). 

My approach was to let it be and let it happen naturally.  I felt things would be fine and I just needed some down time (like a year of down time!). 

I don't know how to discuss this with my DW.  She doesn't understand and I don't think I can help her understand.  She was a SAHM and hasn't worked even part time for the last 10 years when we became empty nesters. I don't think she'll ever understand the level of stress my job gave me or the temporary loss of soul I had from the sucking it did.

I feel pretty good now and I'm definitely more joyful and appreciative of what my life has been blessed with.  Enough of the looking back and review - I'm going to live in the moment and appreciate my awareness daily.

We discussed traveling with our travel trailer and I told her that I wanted to just pick up and go and any time without any planning.  Just hookup the trailer and get on the road and then decide where the hell we were going to go.  She came back a few days later and said she liked the idea.  So now I'm getting the trailer ready to travel and I'm going to keep it in that condition so we can pluck a wild hair when we want.  I'm getting pretty excited to do just that!

I think you're right. I actually love reading about everyone's happy post-FIRE adventures on this thread, but I also want people to know that if their post-FIRE lives aren't all sunlit beaches and happiness, that's normal too.

Who knew you could build up so much to process in 30+ years in the rat race? (Okay, possibly everybody but me.)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1459 on: September 30, 2018, 08:24:51 AM »
I hit my one year FIRE-versary yesterday 9/29. It was such a fun filled and tiring day, I did not have a chance to post this yesterday. I am in the middle of a 6 week travel excursion. I spent the day hiking about 12km and seeing beautiful scenery. Then saw a full night sky of stars in Jasper.  So amazing!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:21:33 AM by Daisy »

noble_goal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1460 on: October 09, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
If you're in a company with flexibility and you're a stellar employee, you'd be surprised what you can ask for before they fire you. Especially in this hiring environment.

Spoke to my boss today and he was understanding and receptive to the Fridays off idea.  He said the biggest challenge would be how it looks to the rest of the team.  I agreed that part will be tricky, and we agreed to come back to the discussion in January.  Meanwhile I'm using vacation to take Friday's off.  The conversation was liberating.  Felt good to the request.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1461 on: October 17, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »

I think you're right. I actually love reading about everyone's happy post-FIRE adventures on this thread, but I also want people to know that if their post-FIRE lives aren't all sunlit beaches and happiness, that's normal too.

Who knew you could build up so much to process in 30+ years in the rat race? (Okay, possibly everybody but me.)

I was the same. It took me a while to work through things and I'm still not all there. The biggest emotional issue I've found is that I had done an excellent job suppressing my emotions and my personal voice while working. This allowed me to do good work as a project manager but now that I want to write fiction, I am having trouble contacting my emotional self. It's gotten better, but there is still more work to do.

I've been FIREd for 1 year and 9 months now. The first year was truly a lost year as I dealt with a lot of the backlog of my life that had been ignored while I overworked at my job. The last nine months have been better. My soul is unfolding and I'm getting glimpses of who I am and who I might be as I refold it in new shapes.

Some of this makes me feel quite detached from many people here. I knew that travel wasn't a primary concern for me when I left, but I still left in such a way that I could have access to free or nearly free travel as a retirement benefit from my company. I haven't used it. At the end of last year, I begged my husband for a year free of travel and he agreed. So I've been in one place and everything has slowed down. I can see the world now. I can experience who I am. I needed this year. That said, next year I'm going to a writing conference in Colorado and I'm looking forward to that.

My relationship with my husband hasn't been this good in twenty years. I guess that he was right when he said that any problems we've had over the years weren't each other but having enough time together.

A few weeks ago my dream job came up and a colleague called me to suggest that I apply. I looked at the job and realized that I no longer wanted it. Had it come up 3 years ago, I wouldn't be FIREd today. Taking that job now would just be an interruption, or worse, a regression in my internal origami project.

Unlike Stasher, my writing isn't making money yet. That's ok. I am where I want to be; doing what I want to be doing. I'm happy.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1462 on: October 17, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »
I almost forgot about money. I'm spending more than I anticipated but it's not so much that I couldn't spend this amount for the rest of my life. I'm not as interested in tracking money as perfectly, though we still make a monthly budget and review it each week. Money isn't the obsession it was before I FIREd.