Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 449833 times)

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #1400 on: June 05, 2018, 10:02:19 AM »
@SachaFiscal ,  I totally get the social anxiety issue.   My wife tried quitting smoking countless times.  The biggest obstacle was she got anxious in public situations and the cigarettes gave her something to do with her hands.  Plus the act of taking a puff gave her more time to think about how to respond to what someone said.   

I don't have any "by gosh, this will sure work for you!" advice.   But if that's the root of the problem, then look for something more innocuous that will serve the same purpose.  Maybe a fidget spinner?   

Or just learn to embrace whatever non-alcoholic drink you choose as a substitute.  Tell everyone "I'm hitting the HARD stuff!" And then chug that Dr. Pepper or non-alcoholic beer.   No one who cares for you (or at least isn't a dick) will mind one whit.

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1401 on: June 05, 2018, 10:22:44 AM »
@SwordGuy and @MonkeyJenga I think I have a bit of social anxiety and I use drinking to alleviate that when I go out. It's not so much that friends are trying to get me to drink.  But I usually get a stomach ache later and feel a little down the next day. I end up eating more junk food when I drink. Plus it affects my ability to keep a consistent workout schedule.  I notice I feel better after not drinking for a few weeks, but then I forget and do it again.

@DavidAnnArbor I might try and look for something fun and flexible I could do (like Amazon delivery or walking dogs) to earn a little bit of money just to put into my Vanguard funds.

I also get an upset stomach with certain drinks, especially beer and wine. However other things like scotch are quite fine, perhaps you could try other types of alcohol, or as others say just get rid of it completely.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1402 on: June 05, 2018, 03:19:13 PM »
I also have social anxiety

Kay-Ell

• Stubble
  • Semi-retired in 2017
« Reply #1403 on: June 29, 2018, 03:12:31 PM »
My favorite Entrepreneur has started a new business.  We got to talking, and now I'm working part time for him (for free, until he gets funding).  And I can't help but feel like I've un-retired, even though it's only part time and I'm not making anything.  I'm also pretty proud of myself, to be in a financial position where I can choose to work with someone who I find inspirational without worrying about the money piece.  I'm also thoroughly enjoying the work.  How awesome is it to be in this new chapter of freedom and self direction?

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1404 on: June 29, 2018, 04:35:53 PM »
My favorite Entrepreneur has started a new business.  We got to talking, and now I'm working part time for him (for free, until he gets funding).  And I can't help but feel like I've un-retired, even though it's only part time and I'm not making anything.  I'm also pretty proud of myself, to be in a financial position where I can choose to work with someone who I find inspirational without worrying about the money piece.  I'm also thoroughly enjoying the work.  How awesome is it to be in this new chapter of freedom and self direction?

Love it.  See if you can get an equity position.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1405 on: July 21, 2018, 11:38:40 AM »
I'm joining the ranks of the un-fired! I really can't believe it. I've been off for a year and it's been really good. Lost 30 pounds, did a bunch of travelling and had an overall amazing time.

On the finances everything has gone great this year, I spent a bit more than my target but also had a couple of windfalls and overall my networth went up without earning a wage.

But... this job kind of fell into my lap, it's right beside my house, pay is amazing and seems interesting.... also, if I don't like it I can just quit. My mindset as I was going into the interview was "let's just check this out and see, no harm in interviewing". But there was harm! Because now I'm back in the workforce!

I think that I've kind of forgotten how much I hate going into the office but we'll see how it goes.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1406 on: July 21, 2018, 12:16:46 PM »
I'm joining the ranks of the un-fired! I really can't believe it. I've been off for a year and it's been really good. Lost 30 pounds, did a bunch of travelling and had an overall amazing time.

On the finances everything has gone great this year, I spent a bit more than my target but also had a couple of windfalls and overall my networth went up without earning a wage.

But... this job kind of fell into my lap, it's right beside my house, pay is amazing and seems interesting.... also, if I don't like it I can just quit. My mindset as I was going into the interview was "let's just check this out and see, no harm in interviewing". But there was harm! Because now I'm back in the workforce!

I think that I've kind of forgotten how much I hate going into the office but we'll see how it goes.

I've fallen and I can't let go of my paycheck!
                       -- Dividendman

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1407 on: July 21, 2018, 01:23:10 PM »
I'm also confessing that I'm somewhat in the world of the living.  Doing a little contracting/consulting back to my old company (if they treated people right, just maybe they wouldn't be in such a pickle staff wise).  However, at $2400 a day, I'm prepared to do a couple of days here and there.  Doesn't take a lot of hours to give a lot of beer money!

Kay-Ell

• Stubble
  • Semi-retired in 2017
« Reply #1408 on: July 21, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
If it wasn't bad enough that I started working with/for my favorite entrepreneur - I just got a text last night (friday night) around 10pm from another former coworker asking if I could do some outside recruiting for her firm starting Monday!  It's fun for now, right?  I can quit whenever I want, right?

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1409 on: July 21, 2018, 03:08:30 PM »

I've fallen and I can't let go of my paycheck!
                       -- Dividendman

:(

I let go for a year! But they gave me an offer I couldn't refuse (godfather voice).

Also... it does look like the biggest risk to FIRE is getting optionally back into the workforce rather than running out of money (there are lots of threads dedicated to the running out of money, but not so many on how to resist the lure of the workforce).

MandalayVA

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1410 on: July 21, 2018, 04:45:23 PM »
Nearly fourteen months in for me.  As I'd threatened earlier I went to work briefly for the theme park with a wizard in it, but quickly realized it wasn't for me.  Now I Uber and do freelance writing a few hours a week for pocket money, basically when I feel like it.  I've also been toying with the idea of going back to school to finish my degree, if only to say "hey, I have a degree." Just having the possibilities without worrying about money is pretty awesome.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1411 on: July 21, 2018, 08:00:44 PM »
I'm also in the failed FIRE club. The year off was great and my net worth has gone up, but the real estate market is still shit and I didn't sell the rental house. I don't feel comfortable FIREing permanently while still owning (and paying mortgage on) two houses.

So I'm due back at work Aug 13. However, I'm really looking forward to it. Things have changed in my office including (hopefully and likely) my tasks. I'm going back to learn new stuff. New stuff that I'm very interested in and can directly apply to one of my volunteering gigs. I figure I'll go back for a year and hopefully by then I can sell a house or two.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1412 on: July 21, 2018, 11:32:07 PM »
Every day I don’t work divided my desire to work by two.

GD California bar is requiring that we refingerprint... seriously considering just going incactive status

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1413 on: July 22, 2018, 08:35:25 AM »
Hold the phone, the dragon fucking a car is a licensed attorney?

California, get your shit together.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1414 on: July 23, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »
Nearly 22 months in and still no desire to go back to back to work.  I do help my DW with her RE business but that is mainly driving her around and attending a few classes/meetings.  Not really "work" IMO.

NW is up >4% YTD as of the end of June.  So no worries on that front either.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1415 on: July 23, 2018, 12:56:06 PM »
Hold the phone, the dragon fucking a car is a licensed attorney?

California, get your shit together.

Dragonlaw is serious business.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1416 on: July 26, 2018, 07:34:06 AM »
Today is my one year anniversary of not working. I have no desire to go back to work, although I would consider a short term contract (but would be very picky about what work I was willing to do). I've spent way more than budgeted, mostly due to some unforeseen house expenditures, but also because my social life is definitely improved. NW is up about 7% and I've always anticipated working again some day, so I'm not worried about it. I'm not worried about much these days :)

ks135ks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1417 on: August 02, 2018, 08:56:08 AM »
Congrats MandyM!   I've got 16 days until end of year one.  It's been a wild year.  Lots of ups and downs here with plenty of changes.  Can't wait to see what year 2 brings!

MKinVA

• Bristles
« Reply #1418 on: August 02, 2018, 11:13:43 AM »
Retired 10 months and happy to be home. I don't miss it, still in touch with a lot of former co-workers. Best part is being able to sleep without worrying about the next day at work.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1419 on: August 04, 2018, 12:41:48 PM »
Retired 9 months, starting to settle in. Hasn't been the easiest decompression period, plus I'm still figuring out how best to get myself out of the house and see human faces (besides spouse's) from time to time. I'm keeping my eyes open for paid contracts here and there so my brain can stretch its legs, but they aren't necessary.

One interesting thing about FIRE is that we're spending more $$ on some things, because we didn't have time to deal with it before. Clothes and shoes, kitchen implements because we're cooking more, used Nissan Leaf to get us into the EV world, exercise equipment, gardening supplies, stuff like that. It's all investment in the future and mostly one-off expenses, not a newly elevated lifestyle, but it still feels weird.

My main post-FIRE concern is the cost of health care after COBRA expires next year. We'll see what happens.

I still need to find more productive ways to spend my time, but I'm really enjoying the expansiveness, patience, and calm of not working. Life could be a lot worse. :)

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1420 on: August 04, 2018, 03:57:28 PM »
Can’t believe it’s been 17 months!  Feels like “last year” still

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1421 on: August 05, 2018, 01:27:53 PM »
Retired 9 months, starting to settle in. Hasn't been the easiest decompression period, plus I'm still figuring out how best to get myself out of the house and see human faces (besides spouse's) from time to time. I'm keeping my eyes open for paid contracts here and there so my brain can stretch its legs, but they aren't necessary.

One interesting thing about FIRE is that we're spending more $$ on some things, because we didn't have time to deal with it before. Clothes and shoes, kitchen implements because we're cooking more, used Nissan Leaf to get us into the EV world, exercise equipment, gardening supplies, stuff like that. It's all investment in the future and mostly one-off expenses, not a newly elevated lifestyle, but it still feels weird.

My main post-FIRE concern is the cost of health care after COBRA expires next year. We'll see what happens.

I still need to find more productive ways to spend my time, but I'm really enjoying the expansiveness, patience, and calm of not working. Life could be a lot worse. :)

I was also very worried about this but it would up being a blessing.  We went from ~$950/month for COBRA to $3.50 (yes $3.50) a month on a HDHP Kaiser Bronze plan after the subsidy.  Since health care was roughly 1/3 of our post-FIRE expenses, this had a major impact.

Note: You cannot drop COBRA early and get an ACA subsidy.  We had to wait for COBRA to expire and then sign up as a special enrollment.  Believe me, I checked this when I learned what our ACA plan was going to cost!

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1422 on: August 05, 2018, 04:17:27 PM »

I was also very worried about this but it would up being a blessing.  We went from ~$950/month for COBRA to $3.50 (yes $3.50) a month on a HDHP Kaiser Bronze plan after the subsidy.  Since health care was roughly 1/3 of our post-FIRE expenses, this had a major impact.

Note: You cannot drop COBRA early and get an ACA subsidy.  We had to wait for COBRA to expire and then sign up as a special enrollment.  Believe me, I checked this when I learned what our ACA plan was going to cost!

Interesting. I've been considering switching to Kaiser eventually, although that basically means I don't get to keep any of my current doctors. I worry about quality of care at HMOs, but my local friends have had positive experiences with Kaiser.

I actually don't want to give up COBRA early anyway; it's covering both spouse & me for vision & dental, and it keeps my health coverage consistent for now. But maybe the post-COBRA era doesn't have to be as gloomy or expensive as I thought.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #1423 on: August 05, 2018, 04:31:52 PM »

Interesting. I've been considering switching to Kaiser eventually, although that basically means I don't get to keep any of my current doctors. I worry about quality of care at HMOs, but my local friends have had positive experiences with Kaiser.

I actually don't want to give up COBRA early anyway; it's covering both spouse & me for vision & dental, and it keeps my health coverage consistent for now. But maybe the post-COBRA era doesn't have to be as gloomy or expensive as I thought.

It was the subsidy that made the difference.  Without it, the Kaiser plan would have been roughly the same cost as the COBRA plan.  So far we are happy with the care.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1424 on: August 05, 2018, 11:12:56 PM »

It was the subsidy that made the difference.  Without it, the Kaiser plan would have been roughly the same cost as the COBRA plan.  So far we are happy with the care.

Good to know. Thanks.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1425 on: August 06, 2018, 12:08:39 PM »
In case it helps, we recently switched our Apple Health plan over to Molina, which also has regular ACA plans available.  Their network seems to be much broader, with lots of specialists available.  They are also much lower cost than Premera, which is the only remaining BCBS program in WA.

Thanks. I've heard of Molina, but I don't know anything about them. I do know about Premera, though.

Goldielocks

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1426 on: August 08, 2018, 01:48:21 PM »
1 Year of FIRE -
My Spending for the past 12 months.

I thought this would be a good place to post, not too many others around here, and most of you are in a similar place.  I officially FIRED in March 2018.  The goal was to NOT TOUCH the investments until they grow into gigantic mushrooms in future years.  Instead, we would work to pay for our monthly / annual costs as we go, and stop saving.  I had also presaved enough to completely be off work for 2 years, as I am trying to start my side business... and the intent was for the side hustle to eventually make up any difference needed.

Aug 2017  - Aug 2018

INCOME
Goldielocks salary, take home: $14,200
   Surprise extra work for old employer in December: $1200
   Work for part time instructor at college : $12,000 (6 classes taught, and I now get health benefits based on 2016's extra work pre-FIRE, it is starting to be worth it, now).
   My new business that I procrastinate about:  Income of about $1000, and all offset by various expenses, like licensing.. I need to get this going but I am crap about marketing so far.

DH Salary, take home:  $43k
   He recently returned to work and needs to get his 10 years of pension credits in to start getting decent payouts.  He likes work, and never works more than 40 hours, and it is only 6 miles from home.

Did not include any investment income as it is all re-invested.

EXPENSES:
In all, we spent $3k less than we earned/ brought in, in 2017/2018.   

We took a small vacation to Las Vegas (all vacations cost under $1.5k due to travel hacking, camping), took family fun days with teens, supported 2 teenagers, both living at home and sometimes expensive, have a large mortgage on our home, and DH and I have a date out at least 3 times per month (and he likes dinners out and $$).

I did stop insuring / driving one car to save money, and we reduced our term life insurance.

Part of me is cringing, as I am so used to putting more $$'s away net into long term savings.  Part of me is sad that the part time income on my part is less than I thought it would be.  ( I need to send the form to reduce the taxes I am paying, I am no longer in the 30% plus tax bracket for goodness sake).  BUT, I was surprised that NET, we are not spending the pre-savings like I thought.

Instead, what happened this year is that we added substantial amounts to DH's retirement funds, while draining a similar amount from the pre-savings pile of cash.   We did have a huge tax return, above normal, that helped net us out this year that I can't count on in future.   I also did not track or monitor expenses, other than trying to be wise about groceries.

Moving forward -- I will need to find more ways to cut expenses (as the mortgage and utilities continue to increase with rates), or earn more income to pay for all the fun things, if we don't touch the retirement stash.  I need to create a new budget for the next year, based on the spending in the last 6 months, one that includes savings for another car as ours is 13 years old and has a lot of undercarriage rust.. 

Doable --?  I hope so.

I hope all of you are having a similarly successful FIRE year.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1427 on: August 22, 2018, 02:35:43 PM »
Just a quick financial update.  It has been a year since we FIRE'd via layoff. $180K ahead of net worth plan after one year.  This does not include what we spent.  In spending space, we bought a travel trailer to go boon-docking. This wasn't in our plan.  We also built a she-shed which wasn't in the plan.  So we spent $80K this year with a budget of $36K for an overspend total of $44K.  The $180K increase is after the spend.  Pretty happy about our new position.  Our SWR is now 2.9% which is down from 4%.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1428 on: August 22, 2018, 03:23:48 PM »
My FIRE plans changed just a slight bit. I knew my elderly parents would need some help at some point as they are in their 80s. My mother had some major surgery and needs a lot of help. I have been staying with my father while she was in rehab. He kept insisting on me selling my condo and moving in with them and I balked. But honestly, I was always at their house and not mine. Well, my mother made it back home. They have 24hr caretaker so really I am there for emotional support.

A friend of mine kept insisting that I heed my father's advice since I was planning to travel a lot anyways. She suggested I should rent out my condo (in a prime location) for some income.

I still kept rejecting the suggestion.

However, once my mother made it back home I realized she really needed me around, and it is a bit of fun hanging around with them their caretakers are all really great to talk with...overall it is a nice environment.

So we are in the process of remodelling a section of the house for me to have a little side apartment/mother-in-law kind of suite and I am preparing my condo for the rental market.

I never thought I'd do this, but here I am.

Another bonus is that, although my condo is in a nice area, it is pretty isolated from where my social activities are, which is actually closer to my parents' house.

So that is where I am. Unexpected rental income will help buffer the stash.

Also, my brother's financial planner needed me to sign some forms as I am in his documents. When she talked with me, she realized I knew my financial stuff and offered me a part-time job. Well initially I got excited, but it turns out to be an MLM type of thing and I was turned off by a presentation I went to. One speaker said he got someone to invest $500,000 and it was his first investment client and he didn't really know what he was doing. He watched a video the night before. He is licensed though. He made $16,000 off of that investment. I told my brother's financial planner that it seemed really irresponsible to me and I didn't want to work for a company like that. And, I wouldn't feel comfortable selling high fee investments. FU money at it's best!

I am preparing for my CM*TO and Moab meetups in the coming months.

« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 03:28:32 PM by Daisy »

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1429 on: August 24, 2018, 06:21:02 PM »
You all do what makes you happy, but if you do go back to work don’t report it here.  You’re making my numbers look bad and if too many of you fail I won’t get my bonus this year

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #1430 on: September 01, 2018, 06:27:49 PM »
Hi All. 

Another update from me. 

I'm struggling to adjust to having no $ coming in. This is not an uncommon experience. We have plenty of money, certainly enough for what we need and want, including travel, but I really miss watching my savings grow. 

As reported before I am teaching at a local college.  It's more work and aggravation than I expected. So much mindless, time wasting admin! Thankfully I only work a 14 week semester and I'm halfway through. I need to gear up to a FU attitude and relax a bit.

I've also returned to university. Initially, I enrolled full time but saw sense and reduced to two units.  I'm enjoying the intellectual stimulation but next semester I'll only do one unit as it's too much of an impost on my time.

Overall, I'm struggling to get the balance right.  However, I think I'm heading in the right direction.

It's taking me a while to move through this major life transition but I'm certainly glad I did FIRE and don't regret that decision for one minute.

Also, I'm still not drinking alcohol.  I've stopped counting the days, it's about 9 months now.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: September 01, 2018, 07:20:18 PM »
It definitely has to feel weird from going to accumulating assets to having to depend on that accumulation. That can't be an easy transition to make.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #1432 on: September 01, 2018, 11:57:29 PM »
Hi All. 

Another update from me. 

I'm struggling to adjust to having no $ coming in. This is not an uncommon experience. We have plenty of money, certainly enough for what we need and want, including travel, but I really miss watching my savings grow. 

As reported before I am teaching at a local college.  It's more work and aggravation than I expected. So much mindless, time wasting admin! Thankfully I only work a 14 week semester and I'm halfway through. I need to gear up to a FU attitude and relax a bit.

I've also returned to university. Initially, I enrolled full time but saw sense and reduced to two units.  I'm enjoying the intellectual stimulation but next semester I'll only do one unit as it's too much of an impost on my time.

Overall, I'm struggling to get the balance right.  However, I think I'm heading in the right direction.

It's taking me a while to move through this major life transition but I'm certainly glad I did FIRE and don't regret that decision for one minute.

Also, I'm still not drinking alcohol.  I've stopped counting the days, it's about 9 months now.

Curious what your asset allocation is if no money is coming in.  I track my net worth and it’s increased since I stopped working.  I suspect most people invested in the stock market have seen similar or even better gains. Feelsgoodman.  But I don’t necessarily recommend relying on this approach since inevitably net worth will go down in the next correction/recession.  Still, life has been exactly as hoped so far

Jim2001

• Stubble
« Reply #1433 on: September 08, 2018, 04:26:02 PM »
Hey folks - It's Jim2001.  I'm back.  Was on track to FIRE 12/31/17, but quit a high paying job in 2016 with a ridiculous commute (4+ hrs a day in LA traffic) to take a big cut in both pay and commute time.  Of course, that set my FIRE date back because the pay cut had a direct impact on savings rate. 

Quality of life is better, so I'm happy I made the change. 

There was someone on this thread who wrote about a long distance bike ride in Oregon and it reminded me how much I missed being active.  Since August 2016, I've spent way too much on bike gear and logged over 8700 miles on Strava.  Thanks for the inspiration.

New FIRE target is either end of the month, or I'm not sure.  I'm applying for a promotion into a different department that seems like it will be fun.  If they don't hire me, I'm out.

Thanks to everyone who have been posting "post FIRE" stories.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 04:32:09 PM by Jim2001 »

noble_goal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1434 on: September 11, 2018, 07:20:01 PM »
I haven't written in a while but I do jump on to check how you guys are doing from time to time.  I was active around 2015-2016, but then decided on OMY.  Work is super lucrative and rarely terrible, but of course not half as appealing as the freedom of a vacation day.  I'm tracking for ~2M in 28 months time, and I'll be 35 years old.  I feel grateful knowing my theoretical SWR already exceeds my expenses.  It has become a question of when and how to slow down.

I saved up some vacation and took all the summer Friday's off this year, as an experiment.  It was delicious.  I started making educational courses and posting them on Udemy, and I'm making $500/month on the side from that.  I started playing pool more often and really enjoying the gradual improvements in my game. 

Now I find myself rehearsing the future conversation with my bosses where I request to work Monday through Thursday.  The worst they could say is "no" or counter with a compromise.  2 years ago, I would have sooner resigned than make this request, but now I feel more secure in my position, confident in the value of my contribution, empowered by my ability to walk in the not-so-distant future, and keen on making the role a better fit for my lifestyle in the long term.  If there is no potential for flexibility, finding that out sooner than later is a good thing.

If anyone relates, I'd love to hear from you.  Thanks for reading.

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #1435 on: September 11, 2018, 09:39:52 PM »
Now I find myself rehearsing the future conversation with my bosses where I request to work Monday through Thursday.  The worst they could say is "no" or counter with a compromise.  2 years ago, I would have sooner resigned than make this request, but now I feel more secure in my position, confident in the value of my contribution, empowered by my ability to walk in the not-so-distant future, and keen on making the role a better fit for my lifestyle in the long term.  If there is no potential for flexibility, finding that out sooner than later is a good thing.
If you're in a company with flexibility and you're a stellar employee, you'd be surprised what you can ask for before they fire you. Especially in this hiring environment.

shinn497

• Bristles
« Reply #1436 on: September 14, 2018, 07:29:09 AM »
Is there a target FIRE 2018 thread?

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1437 on: September 14, 2018, 08:05:08 AM »
Is there a target FIRE 2018 thread?

Yes! You can find links for the other "Class of" threads here: https://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/welcome-to-the-forum/'class-of'cohort-what-year-will-you-fire/

The above is a pinned thread in Welcome and Discussion.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1438 on: September 16, 2018, 10:12:10 AM »
I've seen other folks from the cohort checking in, so I figured I would too. I've been FIREd for about 9 months, and honestly have been struggling with the transition.

But finally, in the last few days, it feels like I'm turning a corner, and starting to settle into my FIREd life more comfortably. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I've done one hell of a lot of mental processing of lots of jobs spanning 3+ decades of work. I think it just takes time for your brain to sift through everything, especially things you did not allow yourself to deal with at the time because if you did, you'd have had to quit the job that was sustaining you financially.

The days can still be bumpy, but I'm feeling renewed interest in things I used to love when I was much younger. I sort of feel like I'm finally waking up.

Note -- I write this not to complain, but in case others are also struggling, so they know they're not alone. I wish I could say "X fixed everything" as guidance, but for me, it's a mystery. I think my subconscious just has its own agenda and requirements, and will take care of them in its own time.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1439 on: September 16, 2018, 12:36:45 PM »
I've seen other folks from the cohort checking in, so I figured I would too. I've been FIREd for about 9 months, and honestly have been struggling with the transition.

But finally, in the last few days, it feels like I'm turning a corner, and starting to settle into my FIREd life more comfortably. I'm not sure what made the difference, but I've done one hell of a lot of mental processing of lots of jobs spanning 3+ decades of work. I think it just takes time for your brain to sift through everything, especially things you did not allow yourself to deal with at the time because if you did, you'd have had to quit the job that was sustaining you financially.

The days can still be bumpy, but I'm feeling renewed interest in things I used to love when I was much younger. I sort of feel like I'm finally waking up.

Note -- I write this not to complain, but in case others are also struggling, so they know they're not alone. I wish I could say "X fixed everything" as guidance, but for me, it's a mystery. I think my subconscious just has its own agenda and requirements, and will take care of them in its own time.

I experienced the same thing.  My subconscious wanted to do a complete review of my life from the time I left home after High School.  Most of the reviews were based on jobs I held over the period of the last 30 years.  I just let it do it's own thing.  It happens mostly at 2:00 am.  It has been 12 months now and I think the review is mostly complete.  It certainly happens less and less.  Additionally it took about 3-4 months before the review started.  The first 3-4 months were serious decompression and I just let myself not do or care about anything during that period. 

I'm slowly coming around to doing the things I've either loved doing or wanted to do over the years (more cooking, canning, gardening, camping, woodworking and such). 

My approach was to let it be and let it happen naturally.  I felt things would be fine and I just needed some down time (like a year of down time!). 

I don't know how to discuss this with my DW.  She doesn't understand and I don't think I can help her understand.  She was a SAHM and hasn't worked even part time for the last 10 years when we became empty nesters. I don't think she'll ever understand the level of stress my job gave me or the temporary loss of soul I had from the sucking it did.

I feel pretty good now and I'm definitely more joyful and appreciative of what my life has been blessed with.  Enough of the looking back and review - I'm going to live in the moment and appreciate my awareness daily.

We discussed traveling with our travel trailer and I told her that I wanted to just pick up and go and any time without any planning.  Just hookup the trailer and get on the road and then decide where the hell we were going to go.  She came back a few days later and said she liked the idea.  So now I'm getting the trailer ready to travel and I'm going to keep it in that condition so we can pluck a wild hair when we want.  I'm getting pretty excited to do just that!

You're not alone. I don't think it's just you and I having this experience.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1440 on: September 19, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »
Hi, fuckers! Boy have I had a year! Rode out my terminal leave in January, then spent the next several months alternately bumming around with the dogs, doing little stints with the National Guard, working on rentals, traveling, and fixing up the house.

I will admit to being a spendypants dipshit and outrunning my passive income. But I've made do.

I got a call soon after leaving FT work asking if I would like to voluntarily activate with the USAF for six months in Germany, a place I have always wanted to spend some time. I accepted that, with plenty of time to prepare, and I have just arrived and begun working. Don't worry, I love this stuff... think of it as a highly paid vacation... and it doesn't represent a long-term return to the grind. ;)

Also nice from the long-term FI standpoint: promotion board results from April finally came out and I was selected(woot!) so my monthly gross from Oct thru Feb will be well into five figures after all pay, allowances, per diem, etc. Meantime I'll continue to streamline things back home and build an even lower-cost lifestyle. Good chance we'll move into one of the rentals my company owns, lose our $600 mortgage payment (or rent the place out to cover it), drop a car, and other possible changes.

RedmondStash, I feel your pain at times. I find that sometimes I am really no more inspired to go out and do the stuff I thought I really wanted to do, on a day when nobody is demanding anything from me at all, than I was motivated to do stupid PowerPoint slides for a stupid boss. I mean, I tell people half the reason I left when I did was that my startup had outgrown my ability to do it as a side job, and I actually did a better job of feeding and caring for it as a side job than I do now. I just haven't felt inspired. It's made me stop and reflect a lot on what I really want, why I've made the choices I did, and what will actually make me happy in the future. Upon reflection, the one thing that really lights me up every fuckin' time is travel. Whether alone in the car or leading a group around the world, I get the biggest thrill from entering new territory, and almost the same thrill from showing new things to people who haven't seen them before. Maybe I should be a tour guide if I feel the need to work again after this....

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #1441 on: September 21, 2018, 10:09:29 AM »
Well done @zephyr911
Enjoy Germany

I'm now 14 months FIRE and it has been awesome, although I haven't been able to slow down like I wanted to. My volunteer work actually consumed me for a fair bit and still does, but that's ok because I love it.

The freedom from work allowed me to say yes to a massive amount of my passion side hustle pre FIRE fun of writing and photography. I have been blown away that my website that started as an MMM blog has turned into a revenue stream (in the sense that I get paid to write articles and shoot photos, not ad revenue).

I would never have imagined that in 2018 I would make enough income from getting paid to hike and travel and test out gear that I would cover my budgeted expenses and preserve my investments ... 0% WR lol

My wife still works at her business and loves it so her wage still helps pay the mortgage on our house. I don't have enough to cover all our expenses with my stash right now but with her still working allows us to save our investments while I am free from FT work. It gives me time to make her job easier and also her working helps us cover off the last bit of high school and start of university for our kids (19 and 17).

Next year I might take some of my dividends as income but who knows, that unsolicited work for photos and writing might keep rolling in.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1442 on: September 21, 2018, 11:24:42 PM »

I experienced the same thing.  My subconscious wanted to do a complete review of my life from the time I left home after High School.  Most of the reviews were based on jobs I held over the period of the last 30 years.  I just let it do it's own thing.  It happens mostly at 2:00 am.  It has been 12 months now and I think the review is mostly complete.  It certainly happens less and less.  Additionally it took about 3-4 months before the review started.  The first 3-4 months were serious decompression and I just let myself not do or care about anything during that period. 

I'm slowly coming around to doing the things I've either loved doing or wanted to do over the years (more cooking, canning, gardening, camping, woodworking and such). 

My approach was to let it be and let it happen naturally.  I felt things would be fine and I just needed some down time (like a year of down time!). 

I don't know how to discuss this with my DW.  She doesn't understand and I don't think I can help her understand.  She was a SAHM and hasn't worked even part time for the last 10 years when we became empty nesters. I don't think she'll ever understand the level of stress my job gave me or the temporary loss of soul I had from the sucking it did.

I feel pretty good now and I'm definitely more joyful and appreciative of what my life has been blessed with.  Enough of the looking back and review - I'm going to live in the moment and appreciate my awareness daily.

We discussed traveling with our travel trailer and I told her that I wanted to just pick up and go and any time without any planning.  Just hookup the trailer and get on the road and then decide where the hell we were going to go.  She came back a few days later and said she liked the idea.  So now I'm getting the trailer ready to travel and I'm going to keep it in that condition so we can pluck a wild hair when we want.  I'm getting pretty excited to do just that!

I think you're right. I actually love reading about everyone's happy post-FIRE adventures on this thread, but I also want people to know that if their post-FIRE lives aren't all sunlit beaches and happiness, that's normal too.

Who knew you could build up so much to process in 30+ years in the rat race? (Okay, possibly everybody but me.)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1443 on: September 30, 2018, 08:24:51 AM »
I hit my one year FIRE-versary yesterday 9/29. It was such a fun filled and tiring day, I did not have a chance to post this yesterday. I am in the middle of a 6 week travel excursion. I spent the day hiking about 12km and seeing beautiful scenery. Then saw a full night sky of stars in Jasper.  So amazing!
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 09:21:33 AM by Daisy »

noble_goal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1444 on: October 09, 2018, 07:02:18 PM »
If you're in a company with flexibility and you're a stellar employee, you'd be surprised what you can ask for before they fire you. Especially in this hiring environment.

Spoke to my boss today and he was understanding and receptive to the Fridays off idea.  He said the biggest challenge would be how it looks to the rest of the team.  I agreed that part will be tricky, and we agreed to come back to the discussion in January.  Meanwhile I'm using vacation to take Friday's off.  The conversation was liberating.  Felt good to the request.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1445 on: October 17, 2018, 12:06:28 PM »

I think you're right. I actually love reading about everyone's happy post-FIRE adventures on this thread, but I also want people to know that if their post-FIRE lives aren't all sunlit beaches and happiness, that's normal too.

Who knew you could build up so much to process in 30+ years in the rat race? (Okay, possibly everybody but me.)

I was the same. It took me a while to work through things and I'm still not all there. The biggest emotional issue I've found is that I had done an excellent job suppressing my emotions and my personal voice while working. This allowed me to do good work as a project manager but now that I want to write fiction, I am having trouble contacting my emotional self. It's gotten better, but there is still more work to do.

I've been FIREd for 1 year and 9 months now. The first year was truly a lost year as I dealt with a lot of the backlog of my life that had been ignored while I overworked at my job. The last nine months have been better. My soul is unfolding and I'm getting glimpses of who I am and who I might be as I refold it in new shapes.

Some of this makes me feel quite detached from many people here. I knew that travel wasn't a primary concern for me when I left, but I still left in such a way that I could have access to free or nearly free travel as a retirement benefit from my company. I haven't used it. At the end of last year, I begged my husband for a year free of travel and he agreed. So I've been in one place and everything has slowed down. I can see the world now. I can experience who I am. I needed this year. That said, next year I'm going to a writing conference in Colorado and I'm looking forward to that.

My relationship with my husband hasn't been this good in twenty years. I guess that he was right when he said that any problems we've had over the years weren't each other but having enough time together.

A few weeks ago my dream job came up and a colleague called me to suggest that I apply. I looked at the job and realized that I no longer wanted it. Had it come up 3 years ago, I wouldn't be FIREd today. Taking that job now would just be an interruption, or worse, a regression in my internal origami project.

Unlike Stasher, my writing isn't making money yet. That's ok. I am where I want to be; doing what I want to be doing. I'm happy.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1446 on: October 17, 2018, 12:12:32 PM »
I almost forgot about money. I'm spending more than I anticipated but it's not so much that I couldn't spend this amount for the rest of my life. I'm not as interested in tracking money as perfectly, though we still make a monthly budget and review it each week. Money isn't the obsession it was before I FIREd.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1447 on: December 11, 2018, 07:11:49 PM »
So, yeah. A year almost to the day after FIRE-ing, I went back to work very part-time for a very nice hourly rate. I missed the externally created structure, and I don't quite seem to be done working yet.

I'm probably only going to spend a few months back at work, but it does feel good to have some shape to my day again. If I like it enough, I might keep contracting now and then. But already I'm chafing a bit at the lack of freedom. Apparently there's no pleasing me. :)

Next time I retire, maybe it will stick. I'll be better prepared for it anyway.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1448 on: December 11, 2018, 08:42:33 PM »
I was the same. It took me a while to work through things and I'm still not all there. The biggest emotional issue I've found is that I had done an excellent job suppressing my emotions and my personal voice while working. This allowed me to do good work as a project manager but now that I want to write fiction, I am having trouble contacting my emotional self. It's gotten better, but there is still more work to do.

Hemingway said that writing fiction was like sitting in front of a typewriter until blood came out of your forehead.

Maybe it's easy for some folks, but lordy it's hard (but pleasurable) work for me.

Technical writing is easy.   Good fiction writing is hard.

Cottonswab

• Stubble
  • Occasional Advice Dispensary
    • My Journal
« Reply #1449 on: December 12, 2018, 07:13:20 AM »
If anyone else in FIRE Class 2017 is looking to form/join a fiction writing group, send me a PM. 

I am also transitioning to fiction writing, and I would appreciate a working / support group, composed of people with similar goals.