Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 449844 times)

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #1050 on: July 16, 2017, 08:56:54 AM »
I'm one week into my two week notice (one week left to go).  Cookie, I do feel sad at times.  I broke down crying in my office the other day.  It's like I'm saying goodbye to a part of my life that I just can't continue anymore.  There are people who I'm upsetting by leaving and I'm afraid I'll leave without resolving the issues or getting closure. I've spent so many years of my life at this company. I'm definitely emotional about leaving but at the same time looking forward to starting my new life. The thought of continuing there makes me sick to my stomach but at the same time I walk the campus these days with a feeling of nostalgia. I'm so stressed out that I've been losing my hair more than normal. It's definitely a huge life change and the stress of it is showing. As much as those people drove me crazy, I also care about many of them.  You can't help but care when working with people for so many hours of your life.  I also feel a bit guilty for leaving since many people will have to work a bit harder to take over some of the responsibilities that I normally would.

At the same time, I'm counting down the hours and can't wait until next Friday when I'll sail out of there.  My husband has made me a quitting playlist that I'll be listening to which includes classics like the theme to 9 to 5 and "take this job and shove it".  I'm so looking forward to the possibilities of my future.  I feel like my future is undetermined again and I love it.  I love the fact that every day might be different than the previous day.  I feel like I'm about to embark on a great adventure.

Add "I'm free" by The Who.  That was the song playing as I drove off the Navy base for the last time. :)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1051 on: July 16, 2017, 12:54:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses, I feel a little less 'broken' now, for lack of a better word.

I noticed that I also have a persistent headache that I think is also stress related. I guess change is harder for me than I realized. I'm definitely also excited. I'm counting the days left even on the weekends now -18!

Luckily one feeling I don't have to deal with is guilt. I work with 3 lovely ladies (among others), 1 of whom had to go back to her old position recently after a temp position ended, and the other 2 are both at risk of going back to their old positions by the fall. There is only one position available now, but by me leaving one additional opens up. So 2 of my friends can stay instead of just 1. All of them are near desperate to not have to go back to (or stay in) their old positions.

I think also I haven't been going out with my friends near enough. Between low energy, curbing spending, and trying to get everything ready for FIRE phase 1, I have been a little bit hermity. A good snuggle kissing friend came over yesterday evening because I told him I was having a rough week. We had a good chat, snuggle, flirt, and went to see a movie and I feel much better. Going to his place today to build/sell/trade some costumes for burning man with a bunch of people, then to a different friends for Game of Thrones and hot tub. Even though I didn't get very far on fixing my canoe this weekend I think it's better to go be with people!

ALSO it may work out that this friend can stay in my house while I'm away most of the next year and also deal with any issues that come up with the other house! Big stress off my shoulders. Hopefully it works out.

Here's to getting through the rough purgatory period. I'm curious how much the stress drops post-FIRE!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1052 on: July 16, 2017, 01:50:50 PM »
I only feel sad that we're not already FIREd.   And since that's our own fault, we have no one but ourselves to blame, which makes it even sadder.

:)

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1053 on: July 16, 2017, 02:43:53 PM »
Mrs Exflyboy retired in June this year.

homestead neohio

• Pencil Stache
    • Journal - Seeds Sprout
« Reply #1054 on: July 17, 2017, 08:00:14 AM »
[snip] 
My husband has made me a quitting playlist that I'll be listening to which includes classics like the theme to 9 to 5 and "take this job and shove it".  I'm so looking forward to the possibilities of my future.  I feel like my future is undetermined again and I love it.  I love the fact that every day might be different than the previous day.  I feel like I'm about to embark on a great adventure.

Add "I'm free" by The Who.  That was the song playing as I drove off the Navy base for the last time. :)

The song I'll play (on repeat) after turning in my badge will be "Free" by Phish.  It is going to be an epic commute home and no one I pass on the way home will have any idea. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HNCw3VLB0

I'm looking forward to the sadness and nostalgia and feeling all the feels of this life milestone.  It just means were complicated humans who are alive.  Right now I'm treasuring the security of the paycheck while it lasts and the richness of the anticipation I'm feeling.

Congrats to Mrs Exflyboy.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1055 on: July 17, 2017, 08:14:55 AM »
I'm looking forward to the sadness and nostalgia and feeling all the feels of this life milestone.  It just means were complicated humans who are alive.  Right now I'm treasuring the security of the paycheck while it lasts and the richness of the anticipation I'm feeling.

Thanks homestead, this is a great thing to keep in mind. I am actually at the very beginning of a (possible) relationship that has had a fairly slow build of friendship to more over the last few months (met him a year ago). A decade or so ago I would be in agony over the anticipation and would have probably forced it forward already. But I am really enjoying the angst and butterflies and sort of relish all of the in between moments of anticipation. FIRE seems a bit more like a break up with work, so I haven't really appreciated it in the same way - but I really should. This has been a slow build of 10+ years and its actually happening.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1056 on: July 17, 2017, 08:39:37 AM »

Thanks homestead, this is a great thing to keep in mind. I am actually at the very beginning of a (possible) relationship that has had a fairly slow build of friendship to more over the last few months (met him a year ago). A decade or so ago I would be in agony over the anticipation and would have probably forced it forward already. But I am really enjoying the angst and butterflies and sort of relish all of the in between moments of anticipation. FIRE seems a bit more like a break up with work, so I haven't really appreciated it in the same way - but I really should. This has been a slow build of 10+ years and its actually happening.

Agreed, this is a great way to look at all types of emotions and experiences. :)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1057 on: July 17, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »
.. snip... FIRE seems a bit more like a break up with work, so I haven't really appreciated it in the same way - but I really should. This has been a slow build of 10+ years and its actually happening.

I have to remember that work has been a nice "significant other" relationship that we both have to move on from. 

edit for spelling.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 02:51:45 PM by markbike528CBX »

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1058 on: July 17, 2017, 12:16:31 PM »
.. snip... FIRE seems a bit more like a break up with work, so I haven't really appreciated it in the same way - but I really should. This has been a slow build of 10+ years and its actually happening.

I have to remember that work has been a nice "significant other" relationship that we both have to move on fom.

My work is more like a semi-abusive taker "significant other" that I've become dependent upon due to money. I'm happy to get out of that relationship. Woo.... 5 more weeks.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1059 on: July 17, 2017, 01:31:48 PM »

Agreed, this is a great way to look at all types of emotions and experiences. :)

I like the "richness of the anticipation" part.  That describes it perfectly for me.  Although, at times I become giddy and happy-go-lucky.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1060 on: July 17, 2017, 01:33:39 PM »
looking more likely 2017 is back on.  can't say too much right now.

Exflyboy

• Walrus Stache
  • Expat Brit living in the New World..:)
« Reply #1061 on: July 17, 2017, 01:39:40 PM »
looking more likely 2017 is back on.  can't say too much right now.

Congratulations.. Assuming its a good thing..:)

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1062 on: July 17, 2017, 08:53:11 PM »

I have to remember that work has been a nice "significant other" relationship that we both have to move on fom.

My work is more like a semi-abusive taker "significant other" that I've become dependent upon due to money. I'm happy to get out of that relationship. Woo.... 5 more weeks.

I like this train of thought.

My work is more like...it's been 20+ years. It was great at the start, we had some great times in the past, but both you and I have changed and I'm just not that into you any more.

LostGirl

• Bristles
« Reply #1063 on: July 17, 2017, 09:45:08 PM »
I'm def not class of 2017 but loving this thread! Congrats to all you folks taking the plunge this year.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1064 on: July 18, 2017, 05:59:18 AM »

I like this train of thought.

My work is more like...it's been 20+ years. It was great at the start, we had some great times in the past, but both you and I have changed and I'm just not that into you any more.
When I resigned I did actually use the phrase "its not you, its me."

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #1065 on: July 18, 2017, 07:01:06 AM »
I'm starting to think I have had corporate stockholm syndrome: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-modern-time-crunch/201403/corporate-stockholm-syndrome

"The company culture in which Corporate Stockholm Syndrome thrives will have certain traits. It will often tolerate—in fact implicitly encourage—employees to verbally abuse each other when someone isn’t seen as working hard enough or not being a “team player”. The inculcation of the “company culture” is viewed as significantly important by the management. This is aimed at cultivating loyalty to the company while it has no similar loyalty to the emotional wellbeing of the employees."

This kind of thing is rampant at my company on various programs.  There was always at least one person who offered this type of verbal abuse. I tried to focus on the others who were nice people but those 1 or more people always seemed to tarnish my work experience.

I'm finally breaking free...

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #1066 on: July 18, 2017, 08:44:12 AM »
I'm starting to think I have had corporate stockholm syndrome: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-modern-time-crunch/201403/corporate-stockholm-syndrome

"The company culture in which Corporate Stockholm Syndrome thrives will have certain traits. It will often tolerate—in fact implicitly encourage—employees to verbally abuse each other when someone isn’t seen as working hard enough or not being a “team player”. The inculcation of the “company culture” is viewed as significantly important by the management. This is aimed at cultivating loyalty to the company while it has no similar loyalty to the emotional wellbeing of the employees."

This kind of thing is rampant at my company on various programs.  There was always at least one person who offered this type of verbal abuse. I tried to focus on the others who were nice people but those 1 or more people always seemed to tarnish my work experience.

I'm finally breaking free...

I'm starting to think I have something like this, but with a different flavor. Our culture doesn't encourage abuse - in fact, it's rather bland and boring, and we tend to feel that people here are too afraid of offending anyone, even for the sake of correcting serious fuckups - but I do think that half the reason my team and I are so tight, and enjoy each other's company so much, are all the collective coping mechanisms we've developed against the stupid shit our "leadership" dumps on us.

I mean, I'd probably still like these people if we didn't have to help protect each other against all this bullshit, but since the feelings for the team are one of the last things that will be hard to let go of, it helps to put them in that context.

IOW, I'm sort of attached to this umbrella that I've had for 7 years, but I have to internalize the fact that I won't miss it when I step out from under the faucet.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #1067 on: July 21, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »
I'm free! Today was my last day. I'm living it up on the beach right now. I can't believe it. It feels kind of surreal right now. The future is full of possibilities.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1068 on: July 21, 2017, 04:26:29 PM »
I'm free! Today was my last day. I'm living it up on the beach right now. I can't believe it. It feels kind of surreal right now. The future is full of possibilities.

Woo hoo! Good work on pulling the trigger.

20 more workdays for me!

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1069 on: July 21, 2017, 06:29:52 PM »
I have an odd question for you, Class of 2017. Is it normal to feel sad just before FIRE? The last week or so I've felt this incredible incapacitating sadness that I can't shake, and for the life of me I can't figure out any reason for it. A little recent stress over house repairs, but nothing major; a little stress over the fact that I can't sell my houses for another year after FIRE; a little loneliness possibly, but that's probably a symptom not a cause, and a lot of impatience to be done with working.

If it was just a little sadness I could ignore it, but this is getting obnoxious and frustrating. The only thing I can think of is that life is about to change in 19 more days and maybe there's some stress there that I haven't noticed yet. Has anyone else had this experience?

I'm just seeing this now. Yes, I feel sad. I'm officially supposed to go back to my job in September, after my leave of absence ends, and I don't know what I'm going to do. Some days, I am excited about going back and determined to pick up where I left off. (Why not go back to that sense of purpose, the income, and the health insurance? By the strict 4% rule, we're essentially FI now, but health care costs could continue skyrocketing, which would change our financial projections and potentially leave us short.) Other days, I feel like making a clean break of it and like not going back is my best move. (Why put off the chance to be free and spend more time with awesome spouse?)

For me, this is partly about getting older and feeling like retirement is the last big phase of life before death. We are older than some; spouse is not only retired but of retirement age. So I fear decline and misery instead of excitement and adventure in retirement. It's unsettling.

I'm still not sure what I'm going to do, though I'm glad I still have a month or so to figure it out. There's a lot about my job that I really miss now. Being on break is great in some ways, but it's also been a state of uncertainty and limbo, which has been really stressful.

Any life change can bring stress and sadness and grief. That's really normal.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1070 on: July 24, 2017, 09:33:58 PM »
Only thing I'm feeling is anxiety. I know I need this, and yet I've spent far longer in this gig than anything else ever. I'm institutionalized, comfortably numb. As badly as I need the change, the closer it gets, the more the irrational fear of change rises.
One thing that helps, rental startup #2 is going balls to the wall, and buying four properties (six units) next week. It will make for a fun and profitable PT job, and all the stuff I don't wanna do is Somebody Else's Problem.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1071 on: July 25, 2017, 06:09:05 AM »
Today is my last day!! It is very surreal, although I am all smiles. Last Wed-Fri were VERY difficult for me and I had a lot of anxiety and stress, but that has passed, thankfully. I was never regretful of my decision to leave, but I still have a lot of sadness about leaving this place. Also, I have not made my news very public, so there are not a lot of people that I can discuss this with. By Friday I felt fairly isolated, it was rough.

Tomorrow, I managed to squeeze in a physical before I lose my insurance, then I'm off to spend a long weekend with family. Then Monday I will do...anything except go to the office. I actually had a dream last night about the yard project that I am planning, I hope that means I am ready to tackle that right out of the gate!

I hope everyone else feeling the stress and anxiety gets through those feelings soon! Good luck!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1072 on: July 25, 2017, 07:12:38 AM »
[snip] 
My husband has made me a quitting playlist that I'll be listening to which includes classics like the theme to 9 to 5 and "take this job and shove it".  I'm so looking forward to the possibilities of my future.  I feel like my future is undetermined again and I love it.  I love the fact that every day might be different than the previous day.  I feel like I'm about to embark on a great adventure.

The song I'll play (on repeat) after turning in my badge will be "Free" by Phish.  It is going to be an epic commute home and no one I pass on the way home will have any idea. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5HNCw3VLB0

Congrats to Mrs Exflyboy.
The day I left Iraq for the last time, I rolled down the runway listening to Escape From Hellview by CKY... hehehe

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1073 on: July 25, 2017, 08:14:18 AM »
Wow you all should be happy! I guess you guys don't detest working as much as me :)

I have a countdown widget on my phone - 24 days, 7 hours and 47 mins to go... woooooo! (only 19 workdays including today, wooo!)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1074 on: July 25, 2017, 09:19:06 AM »
Wow you all should be happy! I guess you guys don't detest working as much as me :)

I have a countdown widget on my phone - 24 days, 7 hours and 47 mins to go... woooooo! (only 19 workdays including today, wooo!)

I have this tab open all the time.

http://7is7.com/otto/countdown.html

9 days
223 hours
13391 minutes
803496 seconds

!!!!

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #1075 on: July 25, 2017, 07:03:17 PM »
Congrats Mandy! I had some rough times after I gave notice but in the end it turned out to be good.  I went out to be with nature and took deep breaths of fresh air and realized I was free!  Since then I've been decompressing and relaxing.  Sometimes the transitions can be tough but I'm determined to experience fully every minute of this.  I really appreciate every moment.  Even if I'm tired or detoxing from all the years of stress I feel like I'm finally going in the right direction! 

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1076 on: July 26, 2017, 04:29:01 PM »
Seriously thinking about retiring, especially in the next 9 months, and already went to 70% time this year...

Have mid year review.  Boss gives an unexpected bonus and says there's a newly created position that I'd be perfect for, but it's full time.   And, my current job would report to this person.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1077 on: July 26, 2017, 05:07:54 PM »
Tomorrow is the last day in the office. Can't wait!

Congrats Freedom17!!!

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #1078 on: July 27, 2017, 09:44:06 AM »
cancel that confirmed for me.
long story but i'm working and out of the 2017 group.
good luck all

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1079 on: July 27, 2017, 10:17:22 AM »
good luck all
You gonna roll into 2018, or TBD, or...?

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #1080 on: July 27, 2017, 10:19:15 AM »
good luck all

TBD

still way earlier than the general population though

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1081 on: July 27, 2017, 10:22:42 AM »
good luck all

TBD

still way earlier than the general population though

That sucks, hopefully it isn't anything too serious... good luck!!

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1082 on: July 27, 2017, 10:40:02 AM »
Today's the day!

Romag                    September 1, 2016  Confirmed
Threshkin                October 31, 2016   Confirmed
Metta            (at 55) January 1, 2017    Confirmed
MrsWhipple       (at 32) January 1, 2017    Confirmed
FIRE me                  January 3, 2017    Confirmed
Mf3333           (at 56) Jan 15,2017        Confirmed
Zineth           (at 49) January 27, 2017   Confirmed
MarciaB          (at 55) January 31, 2017   Confirmed
MsGreenStash     (at 51) February 1, 2017   Confirmed
dabears847               February 17, 2017  Confirmed
Cottonswab       (at 30) March 1, 2017      Confirmed
Goldielocks              March 10, 2017     Confirmed
Dragoncar                March 15, 2017     Confirmed
Oblivo           (at 35) March 24, 2017     Confirmed
DollarDominatrix         March 24, 2017     Confirmed
John Doe         (at 50) March 31, 2017     Part time
Fairviewite      (at 27) April 24, 2017     Confirmed
oneyearfromnow   (at 51) April 28, 2017     Confirmed
freedom47        (at 48) April 28, 2017     Confirmed
Remote_Landlord  (at 39) May 8, 2017        Confirmed
FrugalAussie             May 11, 2017       Confirmed
Penguin159               May 12, 2017       Part time
Myhotrs          (at 38) May 12, 2017       Confirmed
BNgarden         (at 58) May 24, 2017       Confirmed
RedmondStash             May 18, 2017       LOA
Stasher          (at 43) May 19, 2017       Confirmed
Rachael Talcott  (at 42) May 21, 2017       Confirmed
Financial Asc.   (at 39) June 1, 2017       Confirmed
MandalayVA       (at 50) June 1, 2017       Confirmed
Rahby1us                 June 16, 2017      Confirmed
Bruizer          (at 56) June 30, 2017      Confirmed
WannaGoOutside   (at 45) June 30, 2017      Confirmed
Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) July 7, 2017       Confirmed
MadBikePoet      (at 44) July 11, 2017      Confirmed
SachaFiscal      (at 41) July 21, 2017      Confirmed
MandyM           (at 38) July 25, 2017      Confirmed
Freedom17        (at 38) July 28, 2017
concealed stache (at 35) July 31, 2017
Jack06           (at 42) August 1, 2017
Cookie78         (at 39) August 3, 2017
ks135ks          (at 34) August 18, 2017
dividendman      (at 35) August 18, 2017
Bigchrisb        (at 35) October 1, 2017
Daisy            (at 48) October 20, 2017
FIREy                    November 1, 2017     
MonkeyJenga      (at 31) November 30, 2017
Zephyr911        (at 39) Dec 15, 2017
Jim2001                  Dec 31, 2017
Easypeasy        (at 35) Dec 31, 2017
SwordGuy         (at 59)                    OMY
Mrs. SwordGuy                               OMY
Noble_goal                                  OMY
JoJo             (at 43)                    OMY
homestead neohio (at 39)                    OMY
UnleashHell      (at 49)                    OMY
fidreamer                                   MIA
Charlie Foxtrot                             MIA
Cache Stash      (at 54)                    WIGLO

LOA: Leave of Absence
WIGLO: When I get laid off

« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 10:42:25 AM by Freedom17 »

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #1083 on: July 27, 2017, 04:36:22 PM »
woot woot! Must be busy saying goodbyes now. :D Your last day's on a Thursday?

Today's the day!

Haven't had much time to surf the web since I "retired" lol. It's so exciting to see everyone making it to their last day of employment. Congrats!

It's a bit of a late reply but Cookie I definitely felt sad when I was about to leave. I almost cried during a supposedly "transition" meeting when I was offloading some tasks to others and got really frustrated about the state of things. It's also sad for me to think about walking away from a 17-year "career" that I'm not sure if I ever really enjoyed. It's kinda like leaving a bad ex. It's a bad relationship, but you still feel sad leaving 'cause you're so used to it.

I think Little P just stopped talking to me 'cause I am on the computer and not paying attention to him. I'm going to make it up to him now. :)

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #1084 on: July 27, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
Tomorrow is my last day but I'm working from home. One half hour meeting I need to video conference in to and that's it. It felt good to walk out of the office for the last time today. Watching people in meetings today I couldn't help but think how much they look like zombies, neither alive nor dead. Just going through the motions wasting their limited time on pointless initiatives and projects that are doomed from the start.

I'm so glad to leave that behind!

Hurray for last day in the office! Did you take the working from oversea offer? Sorry if I missed any updates from the past 2 weeks.

I found that ppl behave very differently towards me on my last day. Some just completely ignored me as if I'm not there; others seemed sad and couldn't stop chatting with me. Maybe some are more alive than others? Anyway, none of your concerns now! Enjoy the rest of your life!

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1085 on: July 28, 2017, 06:17:59 PM »

Romag                    September 1, 2016  Confirmed
Threshkin                October 31, 2016   Confirmed
Metta            (at 55) January 1, 2017    Confirmed
MrsWhipple       (at 32) January 1, 2017    Confirmed
FIRE me                  January 3, 2017    Confirmed
Mf3333           (at 56) Jan 15,2017        Confirmed
Zineth           (at 49) January 27, 2017   Confirmed
MarciaB          (at 55) January 31, 2017   Confirmed
MsGreenStash     (at 51) February 1, 2017   Confirmed
dabears847               February 17, 2017  Confirmed
Cottonswab       (at 30) March 1, 2017      Confirmed
Goldielocks              March 10, 2017     Confirmed
Dragoncar                March 15, 2017     Confirmed
Oblivo           (at 35) March 24, 2017     Confirmed
DollarDominatrix         March 24, 2017     Confirmed
John Doe         (at 50) March 31, 2017     Part time
Fairviewite      (at 27) April 24, 2017     Confirmed
oneyearfromnow   (at 51) April 28, 2017     Confirmed
freedom47        (at 48) April 28, 2017     Confirmed
Remote_Landlord  (at 39) May 8, 2017        Confirmed
FrugalAussie             May 11, 2017       Confirmed
Penguin159               May 12, 2017       Part time
Myhotrs          (at 38) May 12, 2017       Confirmed
BNgarden         (at 58) May 24, 2017       Confirmed
RedmondStash             May 18, 2017       LOA
Stasher          (at 43) May 19, 2017       Confirmed
Rachael Talcott  (at 42) May 21, 2017       Confirmed
Financial Asc.   (at 39) June 1, 2017       Confirmed
MandalayVA       (at 50) June 1, 2017       Confirmed
Rahby1us                 June 16, 2017      Confirmed
Bruizer          (at 56) June 30, 2017      Confirmed
WannaGoOutside   (at 45) June 30, 2017      Confirmed
Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) July 7, 2017       Confirmed
MadBikePoet      (at 44) July 11, 2017      Confirmed
SachaFiscal      (at 41) July 21, 2017      Confirmed
MandyM           (at 38) July 25, 2017      Confirmed
Freedom17        (at 38) July 28, 2017      Confirmed
concealed stache (at 35) July 31, 2017
Jack06           (at 42) August 1, 2017
Cookie78         (at 39) August 3, 2017
ks135ks          (at 34) August 18, 2017
dividendman      (at 35) August 18, 2017
Bigchrisb        (at 35) October 1, 2017
Daisy            (at 48) October 20, 2017
FIREy                    November 1, 2017     
MonkeyJenga      (at 31) November 30, 2017
Zephyr911        (at 39) Dec 15, 2017
Jim2001                  Dec 31, 2017
Easypeasy        (at 35) Dec 31, 2017
SwordGuy         (at 59)                    OMY
Mrs. SwordGuy                               OMY
Noble_goal                                  OMY
JoJo             (at 43)                    OMY
homestead neohio (at 39)                    OMY
UnleashHell      (at 49)                    OMY
fidreamer                                   MIA
Charlie Foxtrot                             MIA
Cache Stash      (at 54)                    WIGLO

LOA: Leave of Absence
WIGLO: When I get laid off

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #1086 on: July 29, 2017, 09:55:10 AM »
just too much stupidity and pointlessness to most things that people do. I don't want to be a part of that.

I hear ya. I don't miss all that BS. Congratulations, you made it to the other side! You're free! I've really enjoyed my first week free. I've had some productive and inspired days and some lazy netflix and nap days, both good. Sometimes I have felt a bit lonely since I have been used to interacting with people daily but when I did some volunteer work that seemed to cure it so I'm planning on doing that a few times a week.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1087 on: July 29, 2017, 11:06:22 AM »

W00t! Congratulations! May your retirement be everything you'd hoped for.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1088 on: July 30, 2017, 04:29:06 PM »

Tell us how you really feel about it!

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1089 on: August 01, 2017, 08:17:22 AM »
We had an all employee meeting yesterday.   I guess there is going to be a RIF.  Looks to be 5%.  I heard there will be no layoff packages (I'm checking on that).  The layoffs could be as early as Thursday.  So I guess my status will go straight from WIGLO to confirmed.  I'm going to stick it out until the time comes (fingers crossed I'm in the 5%). 

I'm guessing most people have never been excited to get laid off.  I sure am.  It almost feels like the end of my senior year in high school except more exciting.  So much to do in such a big world other than being roped to a desk like a cow.  :)

I'm probably going to spend some time with my brother working on building an App.  We have a lot of ideas.

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1090 on: August 01, 2017, 08:47:12 AM »
Cache Statche:  If it were not a big world, I'd think you were in the same company.     Same (yesterday, layoff, all employee meeting) here only the percentage is higher.     I think I may have shortened my time here by mentioning to my colleagues, that my first thought was "Pick ME!, pick ME!".  It was a global all employee meeting, 0500 our time, so only one person in our office saw it live.

Cache_Stash

• Bristles
« Reply #1091 on: August 01, 2017, 11:51:47 AM »
Cache Statche:  If it were not a big world, I'd think you were in the same company.     Same (yesterday, layoff, all employee meeting) here only the percentage is higher.     I think I may have shortened my time here by mentioning to my colleagues, that my first thought was "Pick ME!, pick ME!".  It was a global all employee meeting, 0500 our time, so only one person in our office saw it live.

Our meeting was at the same time (0800 EDT).  I have been hinting to my boss that he really doesn't need me as I've pretty much worked myself out of a job as I normally do. 

Does 780 ring a bell?

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1092 on: August 01, 2017, 03:21:51 PM »
........Does 780 ring a bell?

Nope, PM'd you.   I couldn't think of a good all employee code word that wouldn't be understood outside Semi-Big Co.

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1093 on: August 01, 2017, 04:29:32 PM »

You two are living the dream! A severance right when you want to FIRE. One can only dream...

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1094 on: August 01, 2017, 07:16:32 PM »
2 more days! 2 more days! 2 more days!

In addition, everything I needed to figure out seems to be falling into place just in time. :)

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1095 on: August 01, 2017, 07:30:39 PM »
Its getting real - I'm under 2 months to go, and busy drafting resignation letters.  Hard to get the right tone!

The last couple of months has a big focus on padding cash reserves - I'll be holding a lot more cash (as in close to a year's expenses) that I've ever been used to. 

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: August 01, 2017, 09:16:45 PM »

You two are living the dream! A severance right when you want to FIRE. One can only dream..

Sadly no severance, Semi-Big Co. is under Chapter 11 bankruptcy.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1097 on: August 01, 2017, 09:34:03 PM »

You two are living the dream! A severance right when you want to FIRE. One can only dream..

Your severance will come under "Unemployment payments". :)

You will need to apply for multiple jobs - badly.  Very badly.   Horribly badly.  But not "Springtime For Hitler" badly...   (Old movie reference for those who don't get it.)

markbike528CBX

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1098 on: August 01, 2017, 10:19:11 PM »

Your severance will come under "Unemployment payments". :)

You will need to apply for multiple jobs - badly.  Very badly.   Horribly badly.  But not "Springtime For Hitler" badly...   (Old movie reference for those who don't get it.)

And my wife just got me a globe, maybe I could apply for The part in a local production of that movie.....

Actually, our group is a bright spot in the whole affair, so I find a layoff unlikely.

I had totally forgotten about unemployment. Thanks.   

ks135ks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1099 on: August 03, 2017, 10:52:41 AM »
Cookie78... how is your last day going?  Plans for tomorrow? 

Ready for the 18th dividendman?  Did you give notice today?