Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 449845 times)

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #950 on: May 31, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »
64 days! 37 work days. Everyone knows I'm taking a year off, but they don't know I may not be back and that if I do come back it'll be only for a couple months.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #951 on: May 31, 2017, 10:39:41 PM »
I have a countdown app on my phone that I added my Dec 1 date to. It's still so many days away but seeing it slowly shrink second by second is very comforting. Especially when I've had a hard day.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #952 on: June 01, 2017, 08:02:48 AM »
I have a countdown app on my phone that I added my Dec 1 date to. It's still so many days away but seeing it slowly shrink second by second is very comforting. Especially when I've had a hard day.

Haha, I have an app/widget as well, right on my home screen. woo!

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #953 on: June 01, 2017, 11:48:50 AM »
Everyone, I am writing this as a free man!  I am pleased to join your rank as graduate of the Class of 2017.

I was hoping to remain productive through my last week at work, but I failed rather miserably to do so – as soon as I went public with my upcoming departure, I was faced with a non-stop stream of people asking more about my plans and wishing me well.  I kept the message as "taking some time off", which was received very positively without any hint of nay-saying.  There were a handful of questions regarding finances, which were rather easy to answer assuming a short time horizon, but I did my best to always hint and the possibility of a sustainable passive portfolio.  I wanted to sleep in this morning, but I woke up crazy early instead as I can't quite contain the excitement of embracing my new situation.  I am enjoying every minute of it!

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #954 on: June 01, 2017, 12:52:31 PM »
Everyone, I am writing this as a free man!  I am pleased to join your rank as graduate of the Class of 2017.

I was hoping to remain productive through my last week at work, but I failed rather miserably to do so – as soon as I went public with my upcoming departure, I was faced with a non-stop stream of people asking more about my plans and wishing me well.  I kept the message as "taking some time off", which was received very positively without any hint of nay-saying.  There were a handful of questions regarding finances, which were rather easy to answer assuming a short time horizon, but I did my best to always hint and the possibility of a sustainable passive portfolio.  I wanted to sleep in this morning, but I woke up crazy early instead as I can't quite contain the excitement of embracing my new situation.  I am enjoying every minute of it!

Congrats! So exciting! I imagine I will wake up bright and early on FIRE day 1 brimming with excitement also. :)

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #955 on: June 02, 2017, 05:02:03 PM »
I officially have no job yes :) May 19th was my last day and today I got a tiny paycheque and email stating that we are officially done and all remuneration, holidays, etc are paid in full. I have a few side hustle jobs rolling as I have been having fun building my skills as a photographer. This may go against the rules but heck if I can make some $$ having a blast at something that is fun why not. It is definitely not the technical oilfield work I did for 21 years thats for sure.

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #956 on: June 02, 2017, 05:51:43 PM »
Just checking in to say that two weeks in, I LOVE retirement.  I go for long walks in the morning before it gets hot, when I would normally be starting my work day.  I cook food from scratch for lunch and have a bit of wine with it.  I go shopping while everyone else is at work. I have made a giant mess on my kitchen table with two different creative projects.  I don't want to seem too happy around other people because it might seem like gloating, but here I can say it because you are all either there or close.  I'm SO GLAD to be retired. 

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #957 on: June 02, 2017, 05:58:12 PM »
Congratulations and thank you for bringing so much positivity to our Friday!!!

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #958 on: June 03, 2017, 06:23:00 AM »
gloat all you like here folks!! we get it. or will.....

rahby1us

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #959 on: June 12, 2017, 08:50:47 PM »
I've been almost too excited to post this, or maybe it's still a state of disbelief, but here goes. Last summer my company announced that they would be doing a merger/split off. I was nervous but also hopeful that this could end up working in my favor. I had been with my company just over a year, and during that time had been pretty darn underutilized. The actual work wasn't very fulfilling, but it was a very good salary and great subsidized health benefits so i stuck with it. I wavered between planning on a Jan FIRE date, to then deciding to make it to about April when i would be able to max out my 401k. But April was so close to annual bonus time- June- so that was tempting as well.

In February 2017 my boss and i sat down and when pressed i admitted to him that i was feeling fairly unfulfilled. Little did i know he was essentially interviewing me for a new team he was tasked with building. A month later he had hired my replacement. I trained her and was essentially put out to pasture within the new spinoff smaller company. I had no official role and my supervisor was many many levels above me. For 3 months, i awaited an assignment or direction but nothing ever came. I was nervous to call any attention to myself for fear of getting let go before i was ready. Also, being honest, i got to fill my days with whatever i wanted. It was a FIRE trial run, and I did well. Biking, hiking, kayaking, fishing, building, etc... and about twice a month answering questions of my replacement or doing some small items that i used to be responsible for while "working" from home (and always available via phone work email). I also started planning for a BIG trip in 2017 with DW. Fast forward to 2 weeks ago, we are all planned and ready to begin travel. We've sold one vehicle and are now a 1 car family. All that remains is tying up the loose ends at work... how long should i let this go on? Luckily, the question was answered for me. I got the call that I'm going to be laid off effective mid June. I'll be receiving both the annual bonus as well as 2.5 months of severance. I couldn't have planned it better myself, officially FIRE'd!

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #960 on: June 12, 2017, 09:44:15 PM »
Welcome to FIRE and congrats rahby1us!!

I'm a month in and its been fantastic. Just got back from Camp Mustache and am packing again for a week camping trip to North Rim and Bryce with some friends we used to never have time to see. Been walking my daughter to school and picking her up everyday. I started to get a bit bored last week and got in touch with some old friends and coworkers and have lots of stuff planned.

Stasher

• Handlebar Stache
  • Power through Positivity
    • Mindful Explorer
« Reply #961 on: June 13, 2017, 01:58:13 PM »
Now that is a great ending to that story @Rahby1us , enjoy the ride on the way out.
@Myhotrsgood to hear you are making the most of your time and getting to do things you want

ks135ks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #962 on: June 15, 2017, 07:23:36 AM »
I'm so excited to write this post.  Went part time May 1, but going to FIRE August 3.  I've been following this thread from the sidelines for a little while now.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Romag                    September 1, 2016  Confirmed
Threshkin                October 31, 2016   Confirmed
Metta            (at 55) January 1, 2017    Confirmed
MrsWhipple       (at 32) January 1, 2017    Confirmed
FIRE me                  January 3, 2017    Confirmed
Zineth           (at 49) January 27, 2017   Confirmed
MarciaB          (at 55) January 31, 2017   Confirmed
MsGreenStash     (at 51) February 1, 2017   Confirmed
dabears847               February 17, 2017  Confirmed
Cottonswab       (at 30) March 1, 2017      Confirmed
Goldielocks              March 10, 2017     Confirmed
Dragoncar                March 15, 2017     Confirmed
Oblivo           (at 35) March 24, 2017     Confirmed
DollarDominatrix         March 24, 2017     Confirmed
John Doe         (at 50) March 31, 2017     Part time
Fairviewite      (at 27) April 24, 2017     Confirmed
oneyearfromnow   (at 51) April 28, 2017     Confirmed
freedom47        (at 48) April 28, 2017     Confirmed
Remote_Landlord  (at 39) May 8, 2017        Confirmed
FrugalAussie             May 11, 2017       Confirmed
Penguin159               May 12, 2017       Part time
Myhotrs          (at 38) May 12, 2017       Confirmed
BNgarden         (at 58) May 24, 2017       Confirmed
MandyM           (at 38) May 15, 2017       Part time
RedmondStash             May 18, 2017       Leave of absence, confirmed
Stasher          (at 43) May 19, 2017       Confirmed
Rachael Talcott  (at 42) May 21, 2017       Confirmed
Financial Asc.   (at 39) June 1, 2017       Confirmed
MandalayVA       (at 50) June 1, 2017       Confirmed
fidreamer                June 16, 2017
Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) June 16, 2017
Rahby1us                 June, 2017
Bruizer          (at 56) June 30, 2017
WannaGoOutside   (at 45) June 30, 2017
Charlie Foxtrot  (at 41) July 1, 2017
Daisy            (at 48) July 17, 2017
Freedom17        (at 38) July 28, 2017
concealed stache (at 35) July 31, 2017
Jack06           (at 42) August 1, 2017
UnleashHell      (at 49) August 1, 2017
Cookie78         (at 39) August 3, 2017
ks135ks          (at 34) August 3, 2017
dividendman      (at 35) August 18, 2017
MadBikePoet      (at 44) Sep 1, 2017
Zephyr911        (at 39) Sep 30, 2017
Bigchrisb        (at 35) October 1, 2017
FIREy                    November 1, 2017     
MonkeyJenga      (at 31) Fall 2017
SachaFiscal      (at 41) Dec 1, 2017   
Jim2001                  Dec 31, 2017
Easypeasy        (at 35) Late 2017
Mf3333           (at 56)                    OMY
SwordGuy         (at 59)                    OMY
Mrs. SwordGuy                               OMY
Noble_goal                                  OMY
JoJo             (at 43)                    OMY
homestead neohio (at 39)                    OMY
Cache Stash      (at 54)                    WIGLO*

* When I get laid off

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #963 on: June 15, 2017, 07:45:32 AM »
I'm so excited to write this post.  Went part time May 1, but going to FIRE August 3.  I've been following this thread from the sidelines for a little while now.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Yay team Aug 3!
49 more days!! :D

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #964 on: June 15, 2017, 08:07:57 AM »

Yay team Aug 3!
49 more days!! :D

Go go go! I'll be giving my notice on your last day!

ks135ks

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #965 on: June 15, 2017, 08:26:08 AM »
Nice!!  Go team!  How surreal is it to see 49 more days!  I have a workdays countdown in my calendar, today isn't June 15th it's 29 workdays left ;)

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #966 on: June 15, 2017, 05:54:39 PM »
I've cut another month out of my "days in the office" by booking in a month's vacation to do a bucket list trip to the Galapagos Islands and go cave diving in Mexico.  The neat thing is that I'll also accrue leave while on leave, which I wouldn't if I had it paid out on leaving.  46 office days left...

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #967 on: June 16, 2017, 01:32:37 PM »
I keep pushing my date out a couple weeks at a time since we have way too much stuff to get rid of around the house before taking off for good; I'm at mid-July to mid-August depending on how things go.

I figure, I'll just keep adding to our stash in the mean-time.

On another note, what net worth did some of the folks in here retire at?  I'm planning to go right around the $600K mark which puts my budget at ~ $24K a year for 2 people.

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #968 on: June 16, 2017, 03:14:59 PM »
...snip...

On another note, what net worth did some of the folks in here retire at?  I'm planning to go right around the $600K mark which puts my budget at ~ $24K a year for 2 people.

That would have been too low for me.  I am not that brave.  I was more than double that for 2 people.  For reference, health insurance is $900/month for the two of us not counting subsidies which are iffy in the near term.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 03:18:12 PM by Threshkin »

bigchrisb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #969 on: June 16, 2017, 03:51:55 PM »
I keep pushing my date out a couple weeks at a time since we have way too much stuff to get rid of around the house before taking off for good; I'm at mid-July to mid-August depending on how things go.

Paid off house +1.8M invested for me.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #970 on: June 17, 2017, 12:44:01 PM »

Paid off house +1.8M invested for me.

Single, no house, ~1M USD

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #971 on: June 18, 2017, 05:58:44 PM »
Well I am a month away from my stated FIRE date. I am not sure if I will hit it, but I am definitely trying to chart my escape path.

I am currently tapping into my FU reservoirs to try and right some recent wrongs at work. Will it turn into an epic FU money story? Only time will tell. This may slightly delay my FIRE date but will be well worth it life-satisfaction-wise.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #972 on: June 19, 2017, 06:31:58 AM »

I'm part time now, but will likely quit altogether within a year. I'm hoping to hold out until I have $600K, but I may go sooner. I also have a rental property. Single, LCOL.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #973 on: June 19, 2017, 08:42:16 AM »
Thanks for the input everyone.  The amount for us is low (but do-able based on our budget) and there really aren't any guarantees that we won't work again (or maybe even start our own business), but I feel a looooong sabbatical is definitely needed.  I suppose this is also a trial-run to see how we like FIRE and to discover more about ourselves.

We are also planning to stay in LCOL areas and possibly just be nomads for a while.  I am planning to document all of our experience (will try my hand at blogging) as we go.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #974 on: June 20, 2017, 03:30:31 AM »
Well I am a month away from my stated FIRE date. I am not sure if I will hit it, but I am definitely trying to chart my escape path.

I am currently tapping into my FU reservoirs to try and right some recent wrongs at work. Will it turn into an epic FU money story? Only time will tell. This may slightly delay my FIRE date but will be well worth it life-satisfaction-wise.

Oooh! Tell us more! :-)

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #975 on: June 20, 2017, 03:47:02 AM »
I'm 5 months away from my planned retirememt date but I'm itching to leave earlier. My 401k match just dropped and I might get a bonus soon.  I was going to wait for some stock to vest in November but it seems less and less worth it to me. Also I've been training some recent hires who, if needed,  could pretty much take over what I was planning to work on for the next few months. Since we won't be fully FI for a few years (DH will still be working), waiting for my planned date in December doesn't seem all that necessary. We'll be able to live off his salary and even save a little so we don't have to touch the stash for a while. Now I'm thinking I'll wait a couple weeks to see if I get the bonus then have the talk with my manager. 

I am still a bit queasy about giving notice though. And giving up the steady paycheck that has been my constant companion for the past 18 years

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #976 on: June 20, 2017, 05:57:47 PM »
I'm 5 months away from my planned retirememt date but I'm itching to leave earlier. My 401k match just dropped and I might get a bonus soon.  I was going to wait for some stock to vest in November but it seems less and less worth it to me.
I had the same dilemma. Had some shares vesting in October but one thing I realized is the market's normal ups and downs actually affects our net worth more than those shares. So I guess it depends on how much you're shares are worth. Oh and it's hard for me to let go of the 6% 401k match. I can understand not getting the match really sours the mood.

Since we won't be fully FI for a few years (DH will still be working), waiting for my planned date in December doesn't seem all that necessary. We'll be able to live off his salary and even save a little so we don't have to touch the stash for a while.
That was the situation we were in. Mr. P left his previous job almost 4 years ago while I kept working. We ended up saving more than we expected on one salary 'cause we spent less with one person staying at home and made more with normal raises.

I am still a bit queasy about giving notice though. And giving up the steady paycheck that has been my constant companion for the past 18 years
I thought I'd miss my paychecks but not really. Freedom is my new best friend! :)

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #977 on: June 20, 2017, 06:14:55 PM »
It hasn't quite sunk in yet but last Friday was my last day at the corporate office! I'm still sticking a toe in the water considering helping out in a very part-time, lower-paying position but I'm on leave of absence until HR figures out what they want me to do. Freedom feels so good and I don't see myself accepting the part-time position unless there's really no stress.  In the mean time I'll just take the extra health insurance coverage since I'm still on the payroll. ;)

Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) June 16, 2017      Leave of absence, confirmed
MadBikePoet      (at 44) Sep 1, 2017

* When I get laid off

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #978 on: June 21, 2017, 06:19:40 AM »
Thanks for ththe perspective, Mrs. Pomodoro. I didn't think about it before but yes the market fluctuations can be more than those shares are worth. And freedom is worth ever so much more. Nice that you are taking a leave of absence. I did something similar earlier this year as sort of a trial retirement. I thought about just not going back to work after the leave but decided instead to go back part time (4 days a week). That was working out for the first month but I'm realizing that the deadline stress and corporate monotony is worse than I expected, even with the reduced schedule. It was like once I tasted freedom on my leave of absence, going back to the corporate working world was even worse.

There were a couple things missing from my life during my leave that I realized work had provided: some purpose, interaction with other humans, motivation to complete activities, mental challenges. I've been reading Ernie Zelinski's How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free. This has given me some ideas on how I can add these back into my life (and in better more fulfilling ways) in retirement. I'm starting to find opportunities for social interaction with people I have more in common with than my co-workers. I'm also seeking out volunteer opportunities. I have some ideas on things I want to learn and have decided to add an "education" line item to my retirement budget for any classes my husband or I want to take. I think we'll also be able to find free classes online but it might be a nice social experience and motivating to take classes in person, like at a community college.

As for being self motivated, I think that is something I will just have to work on.

sw1tch

• Bristles
« Reply #979 on: June 22, 2017, 07:51:30 AM »
A little update:

We just booked a trip to Maui in late September as part of our initial FIRE plans (taking advantage of the summer sales).  I am decided on a mid-August date; will wait another month to give my notice.

We plan to travel (states-side) for the latter months of this year then for next year really considering teaching English in another country (South Korea, Japan or Thailand) to get some access to other cultures and new travel adventures.  Just the thought of getting rid of everything and freeing myself FEELS great!

I do have to admit, residency and state domicile are throwing me for a loop since we won't have an "actual" home address for at least a few months (and longer if we go overseas).  Regardless, the feeling is getting more and more real with each passing day.

dividendman

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #980 on: June 22, 2017, 12:09:20 PM »
A little update:

We just booked a trip to Maui in late September as part of our initial FIRE plans (taking advantage of the summer sales).  I am decided on a mid-August date; will wait another month to give my notice.

We plan to travel (states-side) for the latter months of this year then for next year really considering teaching English in another country (South Korea, Japan or Thailand) to get some access to other cultures and new travel adventures.  Just the thought of getting rid of everything and freeing myself FEELS great!

I do have to admit, residency and state domicile are throwing me for a loop since we won't have an "actual" home address for at least a few months (and longer if we go overseas).  Regardless, the feeling is getting more and more real with each passing day.

Speaking of trips, I have four cruises booked for post my Aug 18th FIRE date this year, wooo!

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #981 on: June 28, 2017, 06:20:29 PM »
An update from me.  Not all has gone according to plan. Our trip to Canada was cancelled because I had to go into hospital to have my gall bladder removed the week after finishing work. All very sudden. I was cross that I'd left work and so not entitled to all my accrued sick leave but actually, it was wonderful to have no work stress impacting on my recovery. The operation went well and now I spend my days exercising and eating well (I've lost 5 kg), socialising, volunteering, gardening, reading.  Life is good. My partner went back to work early to finish his last days so he'll be retired on 16 August, just before his 55th birthday. As many have said before me, "my only regret about retiring early is that I didn't do it sooner." 

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #982 on: June 28, 2017, 08:03:49 PM »
!

Before you leave the US, re-set your state of residence to a place that has no state or local income tax.  I understand that some of the plains states actually have businesses that make it easy to set up a legal residence.   That way, when you are out of the country, your home state won't be asking for a cut of your income.

Uncle Sam will still want his (over a given threshold of income).

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #983 on: June 29, 2017, 07:17:54 AM »
I think my PT experiment has failed. I was hoping that I could revive some work motivation by giving myself more time off. I knew that my chances for this were likely slim as I have read a few folks here discuss how PT made going to work even harder. I am not doing the quality of work that makes me feel good about being here and so I am 90% sure that I will put in my notice in 2 weeks. I probably should have left a month ago, but I have a commitment that ends 7/12 that I feel the need to see through. I am having mixed feelings about quitting. I am excited, but I am also feeling defeated. I am also dreading the next ~4 weeks.

MadBikePoet

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Financial Coach
    • Financial Coaching Services
« Reply #984 on: June 29, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
I have given notice and leapfrogged up to July 11. Documents on file!

MadBikePoet      (at 44) July 11, 2017      Confirmed

* When I get laid off

WannaGoOutside

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #985 on: June 29, 2017, 02:20:24 PM »
Transitioned to the new guys taking my place... and my boss said I could turn in my laptop a day early.  So color me confirmed!  Headed to our place in Arkansas to join my DH and doggies! 

WannaGoOutside   (at 45) June 30, 2017      Confirmed
MadBikePoet      (at 44) July 11, 2017      Confirmed

* When I get laid off

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #986 on: June 29, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
I think my PT experiment has failed. I was hoping that I could revive some work motivation by giving myself more time off. I knew that my chances for this were likely slim as I have read a few folks here discuss how PT made going to work even harder. I am not doing the quality of work that makes me feel good about being here and so I am 90% sure that I will put in my notice in 2 weeks. I probably should have left a month ago, but I have a commitment that ends 7/12 that I feel the need to see through. I am having mixed feelings about quitting. I am excited, but I am also feeling defeated. I am also dreading the next ~4 weeks.

+1 exactly.

I feel the exact same way. I went part time a couple months ago and it is really not working out. I too am having motivational issues and am planning on talking to my supervisor next week about giving notice. I'm probably going to end up giving ~4 weeks so I'm not looking forward to dealing with everyone after I do that. Best case they are all happy for me. Worst case they are all pissed off at me for 4 weeks. I'll post here if I actually go through with it!

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #987 on: June 29, 2017, 02:34:00 PM »

+1 exactly.

I feel the exact same way. I went part time a couple months ago and it is really not working out. I too am having motivational issues and am planning on talking to my supervisor next week about giving notice. I'm probably going to end up giving ~4 weeks so I'm not looking forward to dealing with everyone after I do that. Best case they are all happy for me. Worst case they are all pissed off at me for 4 weeks. I'll post here if I actually go through with it!

I am definitely interested to hear if you do it. I would seriously re-think giving that much notice unless that is normal for your field. I've been around in the past when people do give 4 weeks and I always felt like it made things worse. You think you are doing everyone a favor, but you just end up looking more and more like dead weight, which makes people resent you.

Thankfully, since I've gone PT, I've already been phased out of a number of things. Even the projects I've kept, I don't work on them alone so handing things off will be quick. I plan to give 2 weeks notice, but also mention that it could be less if things are transitioned.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #988 on: June 30, 2017, 07:03:57 AM »
Yeah I think you are probably right 4 weeks is too much. Maybe I'll go for two weeks instead. Even 2 sounds like a lot of time now. I have this burning in my soul to be free.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #989 on: June 30, 2017, 08:32:09 AM »
i'm giving 4 weeks notice.

on wednesday!!!!

only need 2 but there are some things that need transitioning and i'll do that because of the people i work with. if it was just about the company then it'd be 2 weeks...

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #990 on: June 30, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »
i'm giving 4 weeks notice.

on wednesday!!!!

only need 2 but there are some things that need transitioning and i'll do that because of the people i work with. if it was just about the company then it'd be 2 weeks...

Sweet! Wednesday is my plan too.

MadBikePoet

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Financial Coach
    • Financial Coaching Services
« Reply #991 on: June 30, 2017, 12:39:53 PM »
I will be sharing any tips or insights I can during these last few days of gainful employment. The first one is the accursed OMY syndrome that trips up so many of us FIRE-eligibles. I found myself continually experiencing blockers in my attempt to actually slap down the 2 weeks letter on the manager's desk. I traced these all to various fears, most to do with uncertainty. I saw this TED talk and performed the exercise. It only took about 45 minutes. If you find yourself ready to FIRE but for some reason not actually pulling the trigger, I recommend doing it. Do not just watch the video. You MUST put in the work. I hope this may be helpful.
https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_ferriss_why_you_should_define_your_fears_instead_of_your_goals

Bruizer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #992 on: June 30, 2017, 12:53:20 PM »
I've reached the goal!  Yesterday was my final day in the office.  They gave me quite a retirement party (two, actually!).  It almost made me regret leaving - seeing how much they cared for me.  I loved the people but grew tired of the mostly desk job.  But I'm ready for the next chapter.  30 years is long enough.  Many of them told me they were envious, and yet I know they have the years in and are qualified to receive the government pension.  I think they haven't really done the math.  I encouraged them by telling them it's time to stop working for money and start working for freedom.  We'll see how it goes for them.  I look forward to seeing them again at special events. 

Daisy

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #993 on: June 30, 2017, 02:57:46 PM »
Sooooo...here is the story.

I thought I might FIRE in 2016 (but probably would have OMY’d anyways), but ended up having a medical emergency that ended up with a brain injury. I have recovered remarkably well, but still have some lingering issues with my cognitive skills not 100% for my high-skilled job. I was out of work for 6 months in 2016. So the time off, although for medical reasons, gave me some breathing room. Also, I returned to a friendly work environment, so I wanted to give them 100% (or rather 80% since I am part time) of my effort in gratitude.

Well, as 2016 was ending and a couple of months after returning to work and now into 2017, the shine of optimism and positivity I was feeling started to fade as two d**k managers started to critique my performance, seemingly to me accusing me of not performing to my previous standards on purpose. They gave me a terrible rating which resulted in no annual pay increase, and doubtfully future bonuses. They threatened to demote me two levels (not just one, talk about sticking a knife in the wound).

But I do have a medical disability due to the brain injury. Although not as bad as it could have been, I still think a little slower and have some trouble with memory and multi-tasking. Now, at first I thought “great, this will probably lead to a layoff and a severance package later in the year as I have been yearning for as I am about to launch into FIRE”. But, I just felt this wasn’t right. Although I can take the financial hit of a layoff, I thought about others with disabilities that in this same situation would be in dire straits if d**k managers that didn’t understand disabilities treated them this way.

I knew my mega-corp’s HR department would be appalled at how my d**k managers were treating someone with a cognitive disability and that this problem was localized to my department. All mention of the brain injury fell onto deaf ears with my d**k mangers. So, I decided to take the risk and go talk to HR and tell them what was happening. The HR person was appalled that my d**k managers had told me upon my return that I should avoid taking PTO to “show my dedication”. And that they totally downplayed my lead role on the project I was on right before the injury (even after having a great performance review on it). I was also threatened with a 2-level demotion (just to stick the knife in the wound). I also decided to throw in some other unsavory things going on in my department where people aren’t treated as professionals (grading people from A to F based on how many tests they write).

So HR person ended up talking to my direct manager and I was prepared for the fallout at this week’s “sync up” with the manager. I thought the manager would be upset. Then I thought it would be the perfect fodder to go the HR in a couple of weeks and say “just give me a buyout package because I can’t deal with these managers”. Rather, my manager’s attitude seems to have done a 180 after their “talk” with HR, who probably set them straight on the law. My manager was totally understanding and very nice this time around.

So now I am in a pickle. I decided to stand up for the disabled rights. I could have just taken the punishment, not gone to HR, and ended up getting laid off, but now it seems I have turned things around with my d**k managers (after HR probably scared them) and now I may not have grounds to go to HR and ask for a buyout package. And after managers are now being nice to me, I may feel obligated to continue on for a while.

But I really want to FIRE...and do it with a package. Sigh...the saga continues…

I guess the FU money came in handy and I hope there is more awareness of all types of disabilities throughout my company now. Or at least they are just scared of lawyers getting involved.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2017, 03:03:44 PM by Daisy »

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #994 on: June 30, 2017, 03:55:45 PM »
Good for you Daisy!!
having FU money to stand up for whats right is great!
major changes in attitude and a severance package would be awesome!

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #995 on: June 30, 2017, 07:31:28 PM »
I guess the FU money came in handy and I hope there is more awareness of all types of disabilities throughout my company now. Or at least they are just scared of lawyers getting involved.

Thank you.   Thank you very much.   

When faced with a bit more comfort and money in the pocket, or "the right thing to do"; I hope others follow your example.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #996 on: July 02, 2017, 03:30:47 AM »
Daisy, sorry to hear about your injury, that must have been difficult to deal with the horrible treatment from your managers. You are so strong and amazing to stand up to them like that.  I think you've done a great thing for others who encounter a similar situation.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #997 on: July 02, 2017, 03:34:35 AM »
I've reached the goal!  Yesterday was my final day in the office.  They gave me quite a retirement party (two, actually!).  It almost made me regret leaving - seeing how much they cared for me.  I loved the people but grew tired of the mostly desk job.  But I'm ready for the next chapter.  30 years is long enough.  Many of them told me they were envious, and yet I know they have the years in and are qualified to receive the government pension.  I think they haven't really done the math.  I encouraged them by telling them it's time to stop working for money and start working for freedom.  We'll see how it goes for them.  I look forward to seeing them again at special events.

Congratulations! How does i feel to be finally free?

Bruizer

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #998 on: July 02, 2017, 01:40:11 PM »

Thanks!  It feels great knowing I don't have to go into the office tomorrow morning, but other than that, I don't know yet.  I think it'll take some time to adjust to the change. 

Threshkin

• Handlebar Stache
    • My Journal
« Reply #999 on: July 02, 2017, 10:13:34 PM »

Thanks!  It feels great knowing I don't have to go into the office tomorrow morning, but other than that, I don't know yet.  I think it'll take some time to adjust to the change.

Yes, transitioning takes time.  I am still settling in and I FIREd last October.  I have read it takes 6-12 months but everyone is different.