Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 449929 times)

myhotrs

• Stubble
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #650 on: January 30, 2017, 01:42:40 PM »
Congratulations MarciaB!! Really awesome to see so many of our class already graduate, makes it that much more real for the rest of us.

Hope the grads will continue to check in once in a while. I'm very curious about post-FIRE and especially the initial transition period. Looking forward to updates everyone (and promise to post once its my turn :))

Financial Ascensionist

• Stubble
« Reply #651 on: January 30, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
Congrats, MarciaB!

I am really energized seeing all the confirmations flowing.  I have 122 days left on my side and I can't wait to join everyone confirm in the class of 2017.  Every single morning, the first thing I do is to write down how many days left I have.  After doing so, I spend the next 10 minute to try wipe that stupid grin off my face.  I'm not always successful, but I guess that's OK at this point.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #652 on: January 30, 2017, 04:24:08 PM »

Threshkin                Oct 31st, 2016    Confirmed
Metta            (at 55) January 1, 2017   Confirmed
MrsWhipple       (at 32) January 1, 2017   Confirmed
FIRE me                  January 3, 2017   Confirmed
FrugalAussie             January 4, 2017   Confirmed
Zineth           (at 49) January 27, 2017  Confirmed
MarciaB          (at 55) January 31, 2017 Confirmed
mf3333           (at 56) January 31, 2017
MsGreenStash     (at 51) February 1, 2017 Confirmed
dragoncar                March 1, 2017
Cottonswab       (at 30) March 1, 2017
easypeasy        (at 35) March 15, 2017   
Myhotrs          (at 38) March 31, 2017   
oblivion                 March 31, 2017
John Doe                 April 1, 2017
Daisy            (at 48) April 28, 2017
MandyM           (at 38) May 1, 2017     
Mrs. Pomodoro    (at 43) May 1, 2017       Part time
Remote_Landlord  (at 39) May 8, 2017
Penguin159               May 12, 2017
Rachael          (at 42) May 21, 2017
BNgarden         (at 58) May 24, 2017
RedmondStash             May 31, 2017
Jack06           (at 42) June 1, 2017     
Fairviewite      (at 27) June 1, 2017
Romag                    June 1, 2017
Financial Asc.   (at 39) June 1, 2017
rahby1us                 June, 2017
Zephyr911        (at 38) Summer 2017
Charlie Foxtrot  (at 41) July 1, 2017
Bigchrisb        (at 35) July 3, 2017
Freedom17        (at 38) July 28, 2017
UnleashHell              July 28, 2017
Cookie78         (at 39) August 3, 2017
MonkeyJenga      (at 31) Fall 2017
SashaFiscal      (at 41) December 1, 2017   
Jim2001                  December 31, 2017
SwordGuy         (at 59) OMY
Mrs. SwordGuy            OMY
noble_goal               OMY
JoJo             (at 44) OMY

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #653 on: January 30, 2017, 06:00:46 PM »
Because OCD :)

MarciaB          (at 55) January 31, 2017  Confirmed
Mf3333           (at 56) January 31, 2017
MsGreenStash     (at 51) February 1, 2017  Confirmed
Dragoncar                March 1, 2017
Easypeasy        (at 35) March 15, 2017   
Oblivo                   March 31, 2017
Rachael Talcott  (at 42) May 21, 2017
Rahby1us                 June, 2017
SachaFiscal      (at 41) December 1, 2017   
Noble_goal               OMY

« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:42:41 PM by Freedom17 »

MsGreenStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #654 on: January 30, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »
MarciaB officially confirming!

Today (Jan 30) is my last full-time-working-Monday-ever-in-life. My final paycheck hit my bank account this morning and it included a nice chunk of cashed out vacation time.

Tomorrow (Jan 31) is my last full-time-working-Tuesday-ever-in-life. At the end of the day my wonderful staff will take me out for a beer and that will be that.

This is the culmination of a three-year "FIR" plan (because at my age there's no "E" about it really, especially not in the MMM crowd). Feels great!

Congratulations!! Welcome to our lovely little club.

Congratulations Marcia B!  You and I are on exactly the same schedule!  Tomorrow is my last day...I wrap up by turning in my laptop, badge, etc at 1:30!!  Hope you have a great day tomorrow!

MsGreenStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #655 on: January 30, 2017, 06:13:08 PM »
I would like to re-brand this early retirement label.  Really I need to rebrand it for myself more than any other reason.  Tomorrow is my last working day and I feel panic that I'll just fade away.....even though for a year and a half I've been excited about all the possibilities that open up with extra time.  Now that the time has come....I'm nervous about it.  So....I think a rebranding with a more active, positive connotation than "early retirement" would set me straight into positive excitement again!

If you think of this as a new lifestyle, what would you call it, for instance, on LinkedIn?  I saw that our fearless blogger MMM has himself listed as "Leisure Engineer" :)

Thoughts?

MsGreenStash

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #656 on: January 30, 2017, 06:27:14 PM »
I would like to re-brand this early retirement label.  Really I need to rebrand it for myself more than any other reason.  Tomorrow is my last working day and I feel panic that I'll just fade away.....even though for a year and a half I've been excited about all the possibilities that open up with extra time.  Now that the time has come....I'm nervous about it.  So....I think a rebranding with a more active, positive connotation than "early retirement" would set me straight into positive excitement again!

If you think of this as a new lifestyle, what would you call it, for instance, on LinkedIn?  I saw that our fearless blogger MMM has himself listed as "Leisure Engineer" :)

Thoughts?

This is a really interesting question. Do we get this fear because work gave our lives meaning or because work kept us too distracted to ask deeper questions?

For titles how about life-liver, life-lover, chief experience officer, polymath, renaissance man/woman, boulevardier or bon vivant?

I have wondered the same thing and given it thought.  I believe it's a combination of the two...at least for myself.  Work was really busy - long weeks and of course some time on weekends as well.  So much of my time and energy went to work that I did feel like it was my purpose. 

About a year ago, I "Practiced" retirement.  I took a day of vacation and and told myself that this isn't a day of vacation, this is EVERY DAY for the rest of my life.  By the end of the day I was running back to my desk - I felt totally purposeless that day....so I've been tacking that emotionally for the last year....and obviously.....still working on it.

Oh, I really like Bon Vivant! Another one I read about was "Private Portfolio Manager"...;)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2017, 06:37:02 PM by MsGreenStash »

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
  • So much technology, so little talent.
« Reply #657 on: January 30, 2017, 07:19:05 PM »

Today (Jan 30) is my last full-time-working-Monday-ever-in-life. My final paycheck hit my bank account this morning and it included a nice chunk of cashed out vacation time.

Tomorrow (Jan 31) is my last full-time-working-Tuesday-ever-in-life. At the end of the day my wonderful staff will take me out for a beer and that will be that.

This is the culmination of a three-year "FIR" plan (because at my age there's no "E" about it really, especially not in the MMM crowd). Feels great!

Congratulations, MarciaB. I'd like to hear about how your last day goes, if you don't mind sharing.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #658 on: January 30, 2017, 07:39:53 PM »
Congratulations MarciaB!! Really awesome to see so many of our class already graduate, makes it that much more real for the rest of us.

Hope the grads will continue to check in once in a while. I'm very curious about post-FIRE and especially the initial transition period. Looking forward to updates everyone (and promise to post once its my turn :))

I'm two days away from having a full month of retirement under my belt. It isn't good. It's GREAT! It is unbelievable to think, as I do each night when I lay down, and each morning when I get up, that I will never have to work again.

I'm already feeling the benefits of being well rested and in a better mood. No more rushing when grocery shopping and running errands, and trying to knock out each task as quickly as possible in order to squeeze in another hour of relaxation before returning to work.

Still, I am choosing to accomplish some things, but at my own pace and in my own time.

I'm losing weight and exercising for the health benefits.

It seems like a small thing, but my house is finally as clean as I want it to be.

Learning Spanish is another goal I have set for myself. I'm using Duolingo, the price can't be beat (free), but I sometimes forget a previously introduced word and miss a test question.

Come Spring I am looking forward to outdoor activities and some outdoor painting of the trim on my house.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #659 on: January 30, 2017, 07:55:35 PM »

Thoughts?

Five pages of great and fun ideas here:

http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/business-card-ideas/

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #661 on: January 31, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »

It seems like a small thing, but my house is finally as clean as I want it to be.

Learning Spanish is another goal I have set for myself. I'm using Duolingo, the price can't be beat (free), but I sometimes forget a previously introduced word and miss a test question.

A clean house is no small feat! This is high on my list of "things I hope happen after retirement."

I have started learning French on Duolingo - definitely check out their full website if you have only used the app so far. They include way more information and for more "book learning" types, it is very helpful.

Congrats to all our Jan graduates! As for my update, my boss is working on our office's 2017 business plan and he asked me if it was ok to list me as part time in it. Yes! Definitely put that in writing and make it more or less official!

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #662 on: January 31, 2017, 01:06:28 PM »
Just got back from a ten day vacation to Maui, and it feels nice to not be worrying about work for once! In the spirit of continuing part time, I'm still doing cover design and editing work for my publishing company. About two hours or so of work every week that is actually interesting to me, so that's perfect. Congrats to all those FIREing and/or going part time :)

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #663 on: February 01, 2017, 05:51:28 PM »

I have started learning French on Duolingo - definitely check out their full website if you have only used the app so far. They include way more information and for more "book learning" types, it is very helpful.

I'm also learning French.  I'm hoping to eventually live in France for at least a couple of years.  Do you have similar plans?

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #664 on: February 01, 2017, 10:30:47 PM »
I would like to re-brand this early retirement label.  Really I need to rebrand it for myself more than any other reason...

Thoughts?

Good question, this is something I'm still trying to figure out. I'd like to hear what others are doing.
I updated my LinkedIn as follows:

"
On Sabbatical
Travelling and Pursuing Other Interests
October 2016 – Present
Currently travelling across the USA and Canada spending time with family and friends.

Available for select consulting and contract roles.
"

Not sure if it sounds a bit on the fence. I left it open ended since I'm not at all opposed to consulting/contract gigs if they come up and are fun. I've had recruiters mainly find me through LinkedIn in the past so I wanted to leave that venue open.

Sabbatical sounds right enough, it may just be that the sabbatical turns out to be indefinite ;)

However, I have thought of also just changing it to "Independent Consultant" (with no gigs, unsaid) if that makes it easier to keep up appearances or less objectionable for recruiters to reach out.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #665 on: February 02, 2017, 06:01:30 AM »

I'm also learning French.  I'm hoping to eventually live in France for at least a couple of years.  Do you have similar plans?

No, I started because my sister wanted me to learn with her. We decided that as a reward we will take a trip to Montreal together (she has a health issue that makes overseas travel difficult, plus we've both already been to France). People keep telling us that we don't have to learn french to go to Montreal, which misses the point.

jack06

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #666 on: February 02, 2017, 06:05:12 AM »

Bon succès dans votre apprentissage du français à tous les deux ! :) Will check out Duolingo that I hadn't heard about, my retirement will start with a year of travel in Europe and I'd like to learn the basics of some of the languages of the countries I'll visit.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #667 on: February 02, 2017, 08:14:58 AM »

Congratulations, MarciaB. I'd like to hear about how your last day goes, if you don't mind sharing.

My last day was good. Busy. Went by fast. Ended with my staff taking me out for a beer and presenting me with a hilarious goofy photo of the team.

Yesterday was the first official day of retirement and I was exhausted. Just completely wrecked. I don't think I realized what a sprint January was, trying to get my replacement onboarded and wrap up with staff (who were very sorry to see me go, and worrying out loud a lot about what's next). And of course management, being management, pulled some last minute bait and switch bullshit which left a bad taste in my mouth.

But today? It's day #2 of retirement and I'm up early and making plans for a good deal of exercise, researching travel, seeing my grandchild, preparing a healthy dinner...in short - all the good stuff that will be making up my life for the near future. Feels good.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #668 on: February 02, 2017, 04:34:38 PM »
"
On Sabbatical
October 2016 – Present
Currently travelling across the USA and Canada spending time with family and friends.

"

Has any recruiter contacted you after this change? (or did you turn off all notifications? ;)

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #669 on: February 02, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
I definitely miss a ton about office life:
- the awesome coworkers and shooting the shit
- the office dog
- free coffee and tea and snacks

I will probably return to work at some point just because I love working in education and being around kids and smart people.

Congrats on the negotiations, Freedom! I think six months of really interesting work plus working out a lot should be fun!

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #670 on: February 02, 2017, 06:18:45 PM »
Well you guys work in much more fun offices than me apparently!

My list might look like this:

ok free coffee
... mmm, so yeah...

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #671 on: February 02, 2017, 07:13:09 PM »
"
On Sabbatical
October 2016 – Present

"

Has any recruiter contacted you after this change? (or did you turn off all notifications? ;)
It's been my experience that a lot of recruiters don't actually read the resume before contacting someone.  Possibly ever.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 07:23:51 PM by SwordGuy »

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #672 on: February 02, 2017, 08:00:18 PM »

My last day was good. Busy. Went by fast. Ended with my staff taking me out for a beer and presenting me with a hilarious goofy photo of the team.

Yesterday was the first official day of retirement and I was exhausted. Just completely wrecked. I don't think I realized what a sprint January was, trying to get my replacement onboarded and wrap up with staff (who were very sorry to see me go, and worrying out loud a lot about what's next). And of course management, being management, pulled some last minute bait and switch bullshit which left a bad taste in my mouth.

But today? It's day #2 of retirement and I'm up early and making plans for a good deal of exercise, researching travel, seeing my grandchild, preparing a healthy dinner...in short - all the good stuff that will be making up my life for the near future. Feels good.

Glad your last day was mostly good.

Maybe that bait and switch bad taste will turn into a good taste, when you realize you won't ever again have to put up with their crap.

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #673 on: February 02, 2017, 08:02:41 PM »
"
On Sabbatical
October 2016 – Present

"

It's been my experience that a lot of recruiters don't actually read the resume before contacting someone.  Possibly ever.

Heh ya, the bad recruiter thing happens by email, though I've been pleasantly surprised on LinkedIn that the ones who had reached out to me seem to have done their homework.
A few people have reached out after the change, to ask if I'm "on the market" but mostly it's been quiet. I think part of that has to do with us moving through and staying at smaller towns than before . I'm not always good at updating my location either.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #674 on: February 03, 2017, 03:25:04 PM »
Well you guys work in much more fun offices than me apparently!

My list might look like this:

ok free coffee
... mmm, so yeah...

Wracked my brain this morning and couldn't come up with anything; not even free coffee, 'cause I don't like the blend they provided at work. #firstworldproblems

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #675 on: February 03, 2017, 03:40:29 PM »
A clean house is no small feat! This is high on my list of "things I hope happen after retirement."
It's so nice to be able to say that the house is as clean as you want it to be! It's the first thing I want to accomplish when I stop working, actually, along with decluttering.

I'm making slow progress now that I'm working 4 days a week, but my son and pets mess it up faster than I can keep up...

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #676 on: February 03, 2017, 04:08:45 PM »
Well this all got resolved. They asked me to define a role for myself which will be high level research and analysis for critical projects. No early exit but interesting work and an awesome gym next door so I guess I might as well enjoy the last 6 months.

A friend told me to enjoy it as in his experience I'll actually miss some parts of office life.

Funny (or scary?) how quickly things can change in mega corps when people want them to.

On my end, I heard in a roundabout (but I suspect not totally random) way that my replacement req is not approved yet, and at this point 3 days of me is better than no one; a coworker also offered me a contractor position 6 months after I leave. (I haven't even left yet!) It's absurd and kind of unfair to benefit from corporate politics and have all these cards to play with once we decide to leave. I always thought I don't have as much FU-money power since I'm a lowly engineer and people would just let me disappear in peace but guess I was wrong. It's a mad corporate world!

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #677 on: February 03, 2017, 05:42:14 PM »

No, I started because my sister wanted me to learn with her. We decided that as a reward we will take a trip to Montreal together (she has a health issue that makes overseas travel difficult, plus we've both already been to France). People keep telling us that we don't have to learn french to go to Montreal, which misses the point.

I've never been to Montreal, but I hear that it's lovely. 

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #678 on: February 03, 2017, 06:06:47 PM »
It's so nice to be able to say that the house is as clean as you want it to be! It's the first thing I want to accomplish when I stop working, actually, along with decluttering.

I'm making slow progress now that I'm working 4 days a week, but my son and pets mess it up faster than I can keep up...

I am the only occupant, that does make it a little easier.

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #679 on: February 03, 2017, 07:46:32 PM »

I'm two days away from having a full month of retirement under my belt. It isn't good. It's GREAT! It is unbelievable to think, as I do each night when I lay down, and each morning when I get up, that I will never have to work again.

I'm already feeling the benefits of being well rested and in a better mood. No more rushing when grocery shopping and running errands, and trying to knock out each task as quickly as possible in order to squeeze in another hour of relaxation before returning to work.

Still, I am choosing to accomplish some things, but at my own pace and in my own time.

I'm losing weight and exercising for the health benefits.

Come Spring I am looking forward to outdoor activities and some outdoor painting of the trim on my house.

I'm a little over a month into FIRE and it is kind of wonderful! I have been surprised by a few things.

I am amazed by how much rest I've needed this last month. I'm only now managing to stay awake all day. For the first few weeks, I was so fatigued that my afternoons were lost to me. My plans for serious, lengthy workouts and long writing periods were not realized in the month of January. I hope this phase will be over soon but I suspect that this is the result of 60 to 100 hour weeks for the last year and that I simply have to be patient with myself as my body recovers.

I've heard that many people spent more money in the first year of retirement than they expected and now I think I know why. There are unexpected costs. In my case, avoiding doctors for two years while overworking meant that I had a few more things wrong that i needed to deal with than I expected. Nothing serious. We also faced some challenges when we moved from my insurance to my husband's. The things we thought were equivalent were not equivalent at all and we are about $2000 out of pocket for medical that we didn't expect. Had I not been pulling 80 hour weeks in October, I probably could have figured that out, but as it was, I was frazzled and tired and not at my best.

In addition, our dishwasher hasn't worked since November but we didn't have time to deal with the problem before I left my job. It turns out that the problem costs more to fix than it would require to buy a replacement (or we needed to commit to washing dishes by hand for the forseeable future). We bit the bullet and replaced it for less than the cost of fixing it would be. Luckily, we set up a $30,000 emergency fund for unexpected problems and that has been a wonderful gift we gave ourselves for this transition. I recommend this as a good thing. (I also recommend not working 80 hour weeks.)

Another big surprise that I didn't expect is that I've lost all desire to spend money. It's always been difficult for me to avoid spending money but now that I'm away from my job that is no longer a problem. I really think I was spending money and eating junk food out of stress. Now that the stress is gone, buying things and eating junk is just not very interesting. Certainly not as much fun as sleeping late every single morning! Or going for hikes every single day (except the rainy ones).

Another surprise is that I'm not at all lonely without seeing people each day. Quite the opposite. I love the quiet alone time. I don't miss work at all.

The house is finally getting clean and I love that. In addition, food is just better. I'm a really good cook and I'm so happy that I can enjoy my own delicious cuisine every day.

I've also started sewing again and really enjoy it.

Like FireMe, I am also brushing up on my Spanish with Duolingo. I may get more serious about the language learning later.

I will be planting seeds this weekend to get ready for my garden.

People who have seen me lately tell me that I look so happy. My husband says that I look calm.

Life is good!

CanuckExpat

• Magnum Stache
    • Freedom35
« Reply #680 on: February 04, 2017, 09:04:53 AM »
I've always been very bad about staying up with my dual lingo.. in fact it's followed me along on three phones with me never using it. I should do it now!
French and Spanish are on my list. Is there a group here going?

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #681 on: February 04, 2017, 09:38:13 AM »
@Metta: Your account of your first month of freedom is very inspiring.  Thanks for sharing it with us.  Particularly I was worried about being lonely or bored but it sounds like that is not the case.  Also it is good to be for-warned about the preliminary exhaustion.  I haven't been working as many hours as you but I imagine that I'll need a significant amount of time to decompress.  Also I really love your style of writing.  You really manage to paint a picture of what your experience is like.

FrugalAussie

• Stubble
« Reply #682 on: February 05, 2017, 02:19:11 AM »
People who have seen me lately tell me that I look so happy. My husband says that I look calm.

Life is good!

Metta, that's beautiful.  Thanks for the update and the motivation to help keep me moving towards calm.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:20:50 AM by FrugalAussie »

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #683 on: February 05, 2017, 01:13:31 PM »
I've always been very bad about staying up with my dual lingo.. in fact it's followed me along on three phones with me never using it. I should do it now!
French and Spanish are on my list. Is there a group here going?

It would make a great topic in the Throw Down the Gauntlet section.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #684 on: February 10, 2017, 04:50:20 PM »
Just started a 12 week sabbatical from work! I decided to take some time off to test out FIRE and see how I do. I just wanted to see first hand whether I would be lazy, bored, productive, creative, lonely, fulfilled or something I haven't thought of yet. There is a possibility that I might not go back if I really love this. I've maxed my 401k for the year just in case that happens. In my mind I went through the day today as if it were my last. My office only contains things I would leave there if I was leaving permanently. I realized that I do have a lot of attachment to my co-workers and the role I have there. I think I might miss it.  As I left I texted my hubby and he was busy at work. Since he is not retiring, this would be something I would have to get used to. Doing things on my own. So I drove to the beach for an afternoon walk along it. One distinct difference is how not rushed I feel. I don't feel like I need to find the most efficiently fun thing to do because of limited time to have fun or relax. I can just take my time and enjoy what I'm doing without worrying that I'm not spending my time in a productive way. That feels nice.

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #685 on: February 10, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »
Giving notice next Friday

dragoncar

• Walrus Stache
  • Registered member
« Reply #686 on: February 10, 2017, 06:05:24 PM »
70% layoffs at work next week.

Could be perfect, but... where you work?  What letter it starts with?

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #687 on: February 10, 2017, 08:10:06 PM »
Giving notice next Friday

Dead man walking!    :-)

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #688 on: February 10, 2017, 08:17:25 PM »
Just started a 12 week sabbatical from work! I decided to take some time off to test out FIRE and see how I do. I just wanted to see first hand whether I would be lazy, bored, productive, creative, lonely, fulfilled or something I haven't thought of yet. There is a possibility that I might not go back if I really love this. I've maxed my 401k for the year just in case that happens. In my mind I went through the day today as if it were my last. My office only contains things I would leave there if I was leaving permanently. I realized that I do have a lot of attachment to my co-workers and the role I have there. I think I might miss it.  As I left I texted my hubby and he was busy at work. Since he is not retiring, this would be something I would have to get used to. Doing things on my own. So I drove to the beach for an afternoon walk along it. One distinct difference is how not rushed I feel. I don't feel like I need to find the most efficiently fun thing to do because of limited time to have fun or relax. I can just take my time and enjoy what I'm doing without worrying that I'm not spending my time in a productive way. That feels nice.

I missed a traffic light yesterday, because the guy in the SUV in front of me was on his phone, on drugs, asleep, or whatever. He wakes up at the last second and shoots through the yellow light. I'm left stuck at the red light.

Old me would have been fuming and muttering. Not road raging but not happy. New me just sat relaxed and smiled, thing about how inconsequential it is to wait three minutes for the light to cycle.

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #689 on: February 11, 2017, 12:03:46 PM »

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #690 on: February 11, 2017, 12:36:58 PM »
It's just our division not company wide. Still around 1100 people will be impacted. Sadly not for me. I asked to be put on the list but they want to keep me sadly.

I can't tell you the letter but as a hint we do have free massages ;)

It's always disappointing that companies of this scale take care of business this way. Are they able to "reposition" most ppl?

Don't half of the companies here provide free massages? You did mention something in the past that's very distinct to where you work, though. ;)

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #691 on: February 11, 2017, 01:22:03 PM »

Mf3333           (at 56) January 31, 2017  MIA

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #692 on: February 14, 2017, 09:44:45 AM »
Starting to look like I might have to take slightly more drastic action to punch this year, but I'm OK with that. Looking at things to sell, restructure, PT options, etc.

There will be major change by year-end, regardless of what I end up calling it. :)

oneyearfromnow

• Pencil Stache
  • a life-long frugalitarian
« Reply #693 on: February 14, 2017, 09:54:32 AM »
Happy “FIRE-y red” Valentine’s day to me & my spouse!

We have both given my notice of retirement – last day April 28th.

I’m not allowed to talk about until the big boss gets notified, but I’m at a place right now where if one of my colleagues sees this post – I don’t care.   Naturally the delay will negate 2 of the 11 weeks that I’ve offered to give to training someone else.  This is typical, and somewhat expected.

I’m a bundle of nervous excitement and energy – 50 more working days.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #694 on: February 14, 2017, 10:44:16 AM »
I'm at just over 100 days,  assuming i don't take any more than the vacation I've already  planned.

But I've got really itchy feet....

These last few months are looking like a grind.

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #695 on: February 14, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »

oneyearfromnow           April 28,2017

FIRE me

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #696 on: February 14, 2017, 05:43:46 PM »
Happy “FIRE-y red” Valentine’s day to me & my spouse!

We have both given my notice of retirement – last day April 28th.

I’m not allowed to talk about until the big boss gets notified, but I’m at a place right now where if one of my colleagues sees this post – I don’t care.   Naturally the delay will negate 2 of the 11 weeks that I’ve offered to give to training someone else.  This is typical, and somewhat expected.

I’m a bundle of nervous excitement and energy – 50 more working days.

Congratulations oneyearfromnow! I added you to the list.

By the way, I'm a bit of a Gwen Stefani fan myself.

oneyearfromnow

• Pencil Stache
  • a life-long frugalitarian
« Reply #697 on: February 14, 2017, 07:31:49 PM »
Thanks! 

For statistical purposes, I'll be officially 51, and the husband will be 48 (freedom47).  We are both officially retired as at Apr 28.

He did some early retirement last summer, to sail, but then got the "back to school itch", and happen-stanced on a part-time job.  I must say that it helped solidify, and accelerated FIRE plans. We were tantallizingly close then, but confident now.   It all worked out.

I'm so happy to share this amongst people who understand! 

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #698 on: February 15, 2017, 11:19:39 AM »

Zephyr911        (at 39) Fall 2017

Updated mine to current best guess.
Some good news this month: I'm being boarded for O-5 in the ANG, which will bump up my PT income from that job (which I'm keeping another ~5 years) by at least a couple grand. Definitely helps with this effort. More income to save now, more to get me through the first few years post-FT work while investments compound more.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 12:39:51 PM by zephyr911 »

John Doe

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #699 on: February 15, 2017, 02:51:25 PM »

John Doe        (Age 50) April 1, 2017.     PT
Zephyr911        (at 39) Fall 2017

Updated.  I am confirmed for April 1. I actually go to PT at 50%. A good transition for me at age 50. 

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!