Author Topic: Target FIRE: 2017  (Read 449872 times)

easypeasy

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Target FIRE: 2017
« Reply #250 on: July 10, 2016, 02:45:08 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just discovered this thread! I'm planning to FIRE around March 1, 2017 and move from NYC to Minneapolis with DH and our young son in April (I'll be 35). I guess this translates to 14 more paychecks, gulp.

I wanted to mention that after a couple of years of anxiety about FI I recently read JH Collins' book A Simple Path to Wealth and I found it to be a very reassuring sense check on all things FI. 

rachael talcott

• Bristles
« Reply #251 on: July 10, 2016, 08:05:26 PM »
Hi Folks,

Just discovered this thread! I'm planning to FIRE around March 1, 2017 and move from NYC to Minneapolis with DH and our young son in April (I'll be 35). I guess this translates to 14 more paychecks, gulp.

I wanted to mention that after a couple of years of anxiety about FI I recently read JH Collins' book A Simple Path to Wealth and I found it to be a very reassuring sense check on all things FI.

Welcome, easypeasy.  Come on in. The water's fine!

Romag

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #252 on: July 12, 2016, 06:10:05 PM »
Bye everybody! I'm moving up to 2016. Just found out my government contract position will not be renewed, so I am done working on September 26, and will start living the FIRE life.
No big surprise, I was planning to work until June 2017. No change to my math either, I've been FI since I started collecting my military pension.
Quite sure I am ready - I was pretty happy when I got the news.

SwordGuy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #253 on: July 12, 2016, 07:35:42 PM »
Congrats, Romag!

Jim2001

• Stubble
« Reply #254 on: July 12, 2016, 07:58:30 PM »
Bye everybody! I'm moving up to 2016. Just found out my government contract position will not be renewed, so I am done working on September 26, and will start living the FIRE life.
No big surprise, I was planning to work until June 2017. No change to my math either, I've been FI since I started collecting my military pension.
Quite sure I am ready - I was pretty happy when I got the news.

We'll miss you. Come back and visit to tell us how wonderful FIRE is!  Oh, wait, it's only a different thread...;)

Thank you for your service and congratulations!

zinethstache

• Pencil Stache
  • FIREd 1/27/2017
    • My FIRE Hobby and travel blog
« Reply #255 on: July 12, 2016, 09:13:07 PM »
Congrats Romag! I may or may not follow you into 2016, we will see:)

I've been down and out from planned hands surgery, so havent been able to update much.

• Primary Residence - SOLD
  • PURGED unneeded belongings
  • STORED the keep forever stuff
  • Outfitted and moved into FIRE Home.
  • Had final planned surgery
  • Sold my car
  • Met savings goal

Talk about minimalist. We downsized from 1/2 acre, 2200sf, 3 car garage and big shed to a 350sf 28.5 ft long Fifth Wheel trailer. We are staying on my mom's land while I work. We will pay $200 plus electric (she has a 2nd service at her barn so we can see exactly what we use).

The purging of stuff was overwhelming. There was quite a bit to keep. Tools and equipment we use in the maintenance of our rentals, kitchen, business supplies. We did purge almost all our furniture, our piano, sporting goods, weights etc. and TONS of clothing.

I still plan to work through the end of the year in order to qualify for the annual performance bonus. I don't get to slack off to earn it, I must work hard and stay on my game for the rest of the year.

ACK! That last one is the one that will drive me to the FIRE class of 2016!

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: July 12, 2016, 11:27:51 PM »
Congrats Romag!! Awesome to see folks from out group pulling the trigger and living FIRE! Looking forward to more of us FIRIng

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: July 14, 2016, 08:13:52 AM »
Congrats, Romag! That's exciting. I hope you enjoy your FIRE life.

I'm going to do the opposite and extend my projected working life by probably about 6 months. New tentative FIRE date is 6/30/17, because spouse's freelance contract was extended from end of 2016 until end of next June, and I figure it's better if we both keep dumping money into investments together. So a sort of combo of OMY and solidarity.

Of course, either or both of us could change our minds and FIRE sooner -- another year seems like a lot longer than the 5-ish months we would have had left -- but I sort of like the idea of aiming for next June and keeping the option of leaving sooner in my back pocket.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #258 on: July 14, 2016, 12:37:16 PM »
Congrats, Romag! I'm green with envy over here...I've been burned out for the last...2 months, maybe? I keep thinking this will pass, but so far it hasn't. I'm seriously considering talking to my boss about cutting my hours to 32/week, so 4 days a week.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #259 on: July 15, 2016, 02:13:04 PM »
MandyM, getting close has only made my burnout worse. I'm already on 4 day weeks, sometimes 3 days and its still a struggle to give a shit about corporate policies and our whiny, I NEED THIS NOW customers.

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #260 on: July 15, 2016, 02:29:41 PM »
myhotrs, that is terrible news! I can only hope that shorter hours will help me, despite your experience. Although, your post does make me think that perhaps I should just keep pushing through. If I'm going to be burned out regardless, at least I can maximize my savings. This will be quite the ponder.

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: July 16, 2016, 11:37:07 AM »
I'm moving up my date!  I will probably be totally done by early August (as opposed to early November).  Still have to work out the details as the date arrives, but I'm hoping now to fly to Spain and do the Camino de Santiago and see a bit of Portugal & Spain, followed by a year or so in Africa.

I need to kick my self in the butt and start completing my to do list that I would like complete by the end of next March, so I will list things here with updates for motivation:
* Write my will
* Have a physical - want to make sure I'm healthy before I go abroad.
* Consolidate all of my Roth IRAs
* Get a new bank account that makes it easier & cheaper to bank abroad
* Decide to put my house on market - either sell or rent out, if renting need to find a good manager - this needs to wait until 2017
* De-clutter my house  (as of 7/16 have gotten rid of 2 car loads of stuff and started stockpiling more to go in my living room)
* Lose 117 pounds (as of 7/16 have lost 65 lbs - or 55.5% of the goal)
* Finish planning for a few more trips
* Book the first part of the Africa trip
* In 2017 after quit - transfer my HSA

Jim2001

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: July 16, 2016, 02:48:58 PM »
Congrats JoJo on moving the date!

Tick, tock.  Tick, tock.  Paycheck #39 came in this week, only 38 left to earn. 

The refinance of the home and a rental are underway and the broker said both packages went to underwriting this week.  He also said that once they've been approved, we'll re-check rates and ask to reset the lock if they have dropped.

Friday I started the transition of my current project to a new manager and on Monday I will start part time at a new client until the transition is complete.  So, for four weeks I'll juggle between the two.  The new  commute will be 22.8 miles each way, which is down from 62.5.  It's about a third of the distance, but will only cut my commute time in about half due to traffic patterns (it's on the way, so I've been able to time it.)  The new project is scheduled for 13 months, which will get me very close to the end goal of FIRE in December 2017.  Maybe it will run long.  Maybe I'll fire in the fall of 2017.  Tick, tock.  Tick, tock.  We'll see how it goes.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #263 on: July 24, 2016, 01:07:31 PM »
I'm moving up my date!  I will probably be totally done by early August (as opposed to early November).  Still have to work out the details as the date arrives, but I'm hoping now to fly to Spain and do the Camino de Santiago and see a bit of Portugal & Spain, followed by a year or so in Africa.

I need to kick my self in the butt and start completing my to do list that I would like complete by the end of next March, so I will list things here with updates for motivation:
* Write my will
* Get a new bank account that makes it easier & cheaper to bank abroad
* Decide to put my house on market - either sell or rent out, if renting need to find a good manager - this needs to wait until 2017
* De-clutter my house  (as of 7/16 have gotten rid of 2 car loads of stuff and started stockpiling more to go in my living room)
* Lose 117 pounds (as of 7/16 have lost 65 lbs - or 55.5% of the goal)
* Finish planning for a few more trips
* Book the first part of the Africa trip

Few things
1. Look up ars post on the Camino and maybe pm him he just did it I'm sure he has some advice and tips for what he may do differently if he were to do it again. Or can't miss things along it.
2. Do you not get physicals annually ?

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #264 on: July 25, 2016, 09:24:50 AM »

Few things
1. Look up ars post on the Camino and maybe pm him he just did it I'm sure he has some advice and tips for what he may do differently if he were to do it again. Or can't miss things along it.
2. Do you not get physicals annually ?

2 - usually I do but last year I just did the full blood work, BP & weight at our at work screening and all the blood work came back really good so didn't do it.  So I want to do everything this year, including mammogram.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #265 on: August 01, 2016, 05:09:56 PM »
I'm in!

Announced to boss and staff today that I am retiring at the end of January 2017.

FIR here I come!

(And yes, that's "FIR" because at my age (55) I can't claim the "E" unlike many of you whippersnappers.)

So happy to be on the path...

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #266 on: August 01, 2016, 05:11:20 PM »
Welcome and congratulations!

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #267 on: August 01, 2016, 05:14:57 PM »
Adding myself to the list (that I think is the most recent):

MrsWhipple        January 1, 2017
RedmondStash   January 1, 2017
FIRE me            January 3, 2017
Zineth               January 17, 2017
MarciaB             January 31, 2017
Myhotrs             March 31, 2017
oblivion             March 31, 2017
MandyM            May 1, 2017
Mrs. Pomodoro   May 1, 2017
Rachael             May 21, 2017
Jack06              June 1, 2017
Fairviewite         June 1, 2017
Freedom17        June 1, 2017
Romag              June 1, 2017
SwordGuy          June 6, 2017
Zephyr911         June 15, 2017
Cookie78           August 3, 2017
Jojo                  November 9, 2017
Jim2001            December 31, 2017
noble_goal         OMY

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: August 01, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »
Adding myself to the list (that I think is the most recent):

RedmondStash   January 1, 2017
Freedom17        June 1, 2017
noble_goal         OMY

Thanks for putting this together, MarciaB. At the risk of OMY (or SMM, six more months) syndrome, I'm pushing my target date out to 6/30/17, because spouse's freelance contract was extended to then. Weirdly, it's easier to think about another year or so than 5 more months. I get impatient when it seems like it's right around the corner; I just want to do it NOW. It's a psychological thing, especially because I can still pull the trigger sooner.

Good luck to us all!

Freedom17

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #269 on: August 01, 2016, 06:44:04 PM »
While we are confessing I should admit I'm pushing my date out by 2 months back to my original date. On the plus side I'm booking a flight to my retirement city tonight, which will help cement the date :)

RedmondStash   June 30, 2017
Freedom17        July 31, 2017
noble_goal         OMY

Mrs. Pomodoro

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: August 01, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
Weirdly, it's easier to think about another year or so than 5 more months. I get impatient when it seems like it's right around the corner; I just want to do it NOW. It's a psychological thing, especially because I can still pull the trigger sooner.

Good luck to us all!

Funny you should say that. I had a very strong urge this afternoon to just walk straight into my boss' office and tell him I'm done. 5 months left to 2017...

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #271 on: August 01, 2016, 10:38:56 PM »
Weirdly, it's easier to think about another year or so than 5 more months. I get impatient when it seems like it's right around the corner; I just want to do it NOW. It's a psychological thing, especially because I can still pull the trigger sooner.

Good luck to us all!

Funny you should say that. I had a very strong urge this afternoon to just walk straight into my boss' office and tell him I'm done. 5 months left to 2017...

I really do find that telling myself it's a year or so away helps me relax more. It's not right around the corner. Maybe I just can't count as high as 12 (months), so it goes back to being basically indefinite.

If you do follow that urge, I wish you the very best of luck. :)

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #272 on: August 02, 2016, 09:25:04 AM »
Time for an update:
The plans are starting to solidify - I've thought thru alot in the last 3 weeks.  Still have to work out the details as the date arrives but might retire in late April.  I'm hoping now to fly to Spain and do the Camino de Santiago in May-June and and see a bit of Portugal & Spain, then come back to the US for a couple months and spend time with family, followed by a year or so in Africa starting in November. 

* Write my will - as of 8/2 it's written.  I need to set up an appointment for signing & notarization.
* Get a new bank account that makes it easier & cheaper to bank abroad.  Thinking about Schwab?
* Decide to put my house on market - either sell or rent out, if renting need to find a good manager - this needs to wait until 2017.  As of 8/2 leaning towards keeping it - found out my neighbor is getting $2400 in rent so I'd net $1200 per month even after paying top dollar for management.
* De-clutter my house  (as of 7/16 have gotten rid of 2 car loads of stuff and started stockpiling more to go in my living room.  As of 8/2 gotten rid of about 50 lbs of books, have reduced my wardrobe by 10 more bags of clothes.
* Lose 117 pounds (as of 8/2 have lost 74 lbs - or 63.2% of the goal)
* Finish planning for a few more trips (as of 8/2 have fully planned & reserved my September trip to Vancouver Island and starting to think about November trip to Cuba)
* Book the first part of the Africa trip - will do this before the end of the year.
* Need to make a number of house repairs - fix one wall heater, replace garbage disposal, fix fan in the bathroom.  Might wait until 2017 because maybe can write it off if there's rental income that year.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #273 on: August 02, 2016, 10:35:30 AM »
Time for an update:
The plans are starting to solidify - I've thought thru alot in the last 3 weeks.  Still have to work out the details as the date arrives but might retire in late April.  I'm hoping now to fly to Spain and do the Camino de Santiago in May-June and and see a bit of Portugal & Spain, then come back to the US for a couple months and spend time with family, followed by a year or so in Africa starting in November. 

* Write my will - as of 8/2 it's written.  I need to set up an appointment for signing & notarization.
* Get a new bank account that makes it easier & cheaper to bank abroad.  Thinking about Schwab?
* Decide to put my house on market - either sell or rent out, if renting need to find a good manager - this needs to wait until 2017.  As of 8/2 leaning towards keeping it - found out my neighbor is getting $2400 in rent so I'd net $1200 per month even after paying top dollar for management.
* De-clutter my house  (as of 7/16 have gotten rid of 2 car loads of stuff and started stockpiling more to go in my living room.  As of 8/2 gotten rid of about 50 lbs of books, have reduced my wardrobe by 10 more bags of clothes.
* Finish planning for a few more trips (as of 8/2 have fully planned & reserved my September trip to Vancouver Island and starting to think about November trip to Cuba)
* Book the first part of the Africa trip - will do this before the end of the year.
* Need to make a number of house repairs - fix one wall heater, replace garbage disposal, fix fan in the bathroom.  Might wait until 2017 because maybe can write it off if there's rental income that year.

Awesome plan!
I need to sit down and write out my to do pre-FIRE list too. Right now I'm busy working on my house/yard improvement list so that I can sell it when the time comes. But I should make an everything I need to do before FIRE list like yours.

As for when my FIRE date is I've been wavering a lot on that lately. I was always astounded at the OMY decision so many people make. 'I would NEVER do that!' And now that I have 1 year and 1 day remaining, I'm wondering if that's enough time to get my shit together!

A lot of my problem picking a date is that I absolutely need to sell my rental house first, and the real estate market here is very unstable. I was hoping that by early 2017 it would be back to normal, but at the moment that's not looking likely. In addition, things with my houses are going rather swimmingly at the moment with good tenants, few issues, covering costs with a little extra each month, and it's hard to sell and give that up, especially at a time when selling is both difficult and likely to result in lower than expected profit.

Also as I spend so much time fixing up my yard and house I keep thinking I'm going to miss it! I've put so much work into making it just the way I like and it's hard to think about leaving already. My cousin says I'll be too busy living my dream to miss the house. Mostly I will miss the yard and garden, not the actual house. And I certainly won't miss the location.

But DAMN, I want to go live my dreams and do all the things that I can't do while I'm stuck in an office! I told everyone I'd be done Aug 3, 2017 and I want to stick with it! I have big plans for the following summers and want to have some decompression time and time spent with my family before I take off on all my expeditions. I've been looking forward to tomorrow for awhile so I can start telling myself it's the last xyz day at work... but now I don't quite believe myself about my FIRE date.

I know I'm very unlikely to quit before Aug 3, 2017 and I will quit before May 10, 2018 at (almost) any cost. And I know that I can't quit before the rental house sells. But I'm unsure what to do about the time in between. Stick with it a few more months, or jump?

So class of 2017, anyone have any advice or comments? Perhaps it's not possible to make a plan until I know what's going on with the housing market.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #274 on: August 02, 2016, 10:37:11 AM »
What happens on May 10th, 2018?

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #275 on: August 02, 2016, 10:46:28 AM »
What happens on May 10th, 2018?

My 40th birthday!

Charlie Foxtrot

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: August 02, 2016, 10:46:48 AM »
Good afternoon all:

First MMM post and thanks for having me in the Class of 2017 (projected FIRE date 7.1.17)

Live in Ohio. Looking to sell house and move family (Me 41 Wife 39, and two kids 4&6) to Tucson next summer and rent based on weather and LCOL.

Heading out there with not a lot of buffer:

Roth: 100k
Traditional:530k
Taxable: 55K
Inherited: 65k
Equity from home sale: 125K
Cash: 25K

So plan on going out there spending 45K on a SWR of 5%. I will take a gap year and the wife is just getting started with wedding photography and plans to bring in another 5-10k to pad.

Thinking I will need to get the roth conversions correct to make this happen.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #277 on: August 02, 2016, 10:53:22 AM »
Welcome CF!

I'm adding you to the list:

Charlie Foxtrot   July 1, 2017
noble_goal         OMY

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #278 on: August 02, 2016, 11:34:04 AM »
MarciaB - please update my date to April 28th.  I decided to end earlier to do some travel.

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #279 on: August 02, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
Jojo                  April 28, 2017
noble_goal         OMY

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: August 02, 2016, 11:54:06 AM »
<snip>
So class of 2017, anyone have any advice or comments? Perhaps it's not possible to make a plan until I know what's going on with the housing market.

So after reading all the updates in the Class of 2015 thread I'm inspired.

I think
1- The housing market won't continue to drop enough to make a huge difference to me
2- I won't miss my house/yard once I'm off living my dream
3- I recently discovered a really awesome fun seasonal side gig job that I would LOVE to do that would provide a little extra income if and when I want it.

Aug 3, 2017 here I come!

...see what I mean about wavering? lol

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #281 on: August 02, 2016, 01:14:27 PM »
Time for an update:

Great list JoJo, and amazing progress so far. I definitely need to make a pre-FIRE list...although I'm a little afraid of how daunting it will be. And then I kick myself for being afraid of preparing for FIRE.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
Hi kids!
make room for me.

was aiming for end of July 2017 but the 31st is a monday. So I've picked the 28th so I have one less weekend trashed!!

24 paydays to go....

unless I just walk.....

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2016, 01:40:21 PM »
Add yourself to the list! Just copy it, plug yourself in...and post!

Congrats by the way.

UnleashHell

• Walrus Stache
  • Chapter IV - A New ... er.. something
« Reply #284 on: August 02, 2016, 02:44:37 PM »
UnleashHell         July 28, 2017 
noble_goal         OMY

JoJo

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #285 on: August 04, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »
Freedom17 - where are you going with your 1 way ticket and what are your plans?

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
  • I'm just happy to be here. \m/ ^_^ \m/
    • Pinhook Development LLC
« Reply #286 on: August 10, 2016, 01:30:15 PM »
!@#$%^&*(*&^%$%%^& this week.

After this morning's meeting I told DW I'm bumping it up by one quarter. I'm not even sure if I can get there, but probably.

I'm courting a large investor for my current rental startup... if they kick in what they're supposedly willing to, the commissions alone from investing all that cash into our market would get me past the goal line. But I can't count it all yet, and I'm not that fed up... just getting there faster than expected.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #287 on: August 10, 2016, 08:59:42 PM »
On the plus side, I'm off the next five days!
I never know whether it will refresh me or increase my frustration with the grind, until after I get back. Either way, all things work toward their end.

RedmondStash

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #288 on: August 11, 2016, 10:40:01 AM »
!@#$%^&*(*&^%$%%^& this week.

After this morning's meeting I told DW I'm bumping it up by one quarter. I'm not even sure if I can get there, but probably.

I'm courting a large investor for my current rental startup... if they kick in what they're supposedly willing to, the commissions alone from investing all that cash into our market would get me past the goal line. But I can't count it all yet, and I'm not that fed up... just getting there faster than expected.

Hang in there Zephyr. I'm having one of those weeks as well. I think there's something that happens as you start to detach from work and become more zen about things. From that point interacting with people that are still fully plugged in to the matrix becomes much more painful.

It's true. Especially when you see colleagues enduring lots of work pain because they don't have FU money and they can't find better jobs (yet).

I still care very much about doing a good job, but I'm finding I take the long view more and more. I won't be at this job forever. It doesn't define my entire future. That's true for everyone, but most people don't realize it while they're still in the thick of things.

myhotrs

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: August 11, 2016, 11:21:52 AM »
When I was pretty down at work one day, the DW set up and sent me this:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/create

When I'm feeling like giving my 2 weeks I check the timer and calm down a bit, there's light at the end. 232 days left as of this morning :)

Edited to add I am in no way affiliated with this site, wife just found it on Google.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #290 on: August 14, 2016, 08:27:50 PM »
A combination of Sunday Night Dread and an all-time high NW has me thinking I may have to move from 2018 to 2017.  I'm just going to lurk over here for a while while I get that figured out.

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: August 14, 2016, 08:57:02 PM »
A combination of Sunday Night Dread and an all-time high NW has me thinking I may have to move from 2018 to 2017.  I'm just going to lurk over here for a while while I get that figured out.
Welcome. No purchase necessary. The more the merrier. :D

MandyM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #292 on: August 16, 2016, 01:55:55 PM »
Mint is currently projecting that I hit my goal on June 17, 2017, which has always been on the conservative side and doesn't include a couple of larger contributions coming up (company 401K contribution hits in Sept (~8% of my salary) and annual bonus in Dec). Closing in!

Metta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #293 on: August 22, 2016, 09:29:16 AM »
Metta.               January 3, 2017
noble_goal         OMY

I had really hoped to be part of the Class of 2016 but my date has moved to January 3, 2017. I hope you will accept me as part of this class. We currently have enough for our needs $1,200,000 with annual expenses of $38000 to $55000. Because I will be 55 when I leave, I will get a small pension of $13000 per year for the next ten years. My husband plans to continue his job for a few more years and between my pension and his salary we believe that we will be able to live while continuing to save about 25% of our income. A few more years after that and he may choose to leave his job as well.

I'm trying to finish up a project at work, plus it is financially advantageous for me to delay my previous date (Nov 2, 2016) to Jan. 3, 2017 so I will cross the line from 2016 to 2017. I thought I might be the first in 2017 but I see Mrs. Whipple and FireMe are early in January as well.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #294 on: August 22, 2016, 09:58:31 AM »
I may have to drop out of the class of 2017 because last week I applied for a job that starts Aug 2017. But the job is for an astronaut for the Canadian Space Agency.... so I count that more as an EPIC ADVENTURE than a 'job'.

Tomorrow I should find out if I make the first cut and get to take the entrance exam.

I don't expect to get the position this time around, but now I'm enthralled with the idea and want to go get my scuba certification, my pilot licence, and learn Russian, so I have a better shot at it next time around! Also, because those three things sound fun in themselves. :p

MarciaB

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #295 on: August 22, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »
Congrats! It sounds like you've got the finances thing dialed in really well. A big enough stash plus contingency planning...good on 'ya!

zephyr911

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #296 on: August 22, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »
Zephyr911         April 1, 2017
noble_goal         OMY
Bumped myself up from 6/15/17 to 4/1/17. This is an aggressive goal but I'm not going to refer to it as a stretch. It's just what I want, at the moment, and if I just get close, that's cool. I'm going to do everything I can to hit it.
June is still my worst case, I think.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #297 on: August 22, 2016, 10:21:53 AM »
I may have to drop out of the class of 2017 because last week I applied for a job that starts Aug 2017. But the job is for an astronaut for the Canadian Space Agency.... so I count that more as an EPIC ADVENTURE than a 'job'.

Tomorrow I should find out if I make the first cut and get to take the entrance exam.

I don't expect to get the position this time around, but now I'm enthralled with the idea and want to go get my scuba certification, my pilot licence, and learn Russian, so I have a better shot at it next time around! Also, because those three things sound fun in themselves. :p

Haha. Awesome. I'm pretty sure that if you are FI and decide to become an astronaut it counts as a hobby / awesome adventure and not a job :)

My thoughts exactly! :D

woopwoop

• Bristles
« Reply #298 on: August 22, 2016, 11:55:25 AM »
Yeah, I would totally drop RE goals if I could be an astronaut. Congrats on the first step, Cookie!

rahby1us

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #299 on: August 22, 2016, 02:11:34 PM »
rahby1us           January 31, 2017
Zephyr911         April 1, 2017
noble_goal         OMY

MarciaB - i think you picked a great day, I'm copying it! What will really make it official is cashing in some credit card points for a 2.5 months trip to the Philippines/and neighboring countries as we've planned!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!