Moustaches

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« on: April 30, 2015, 06:51:57 AM »
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 11:29:45 AM by Moustaches »

lunahsol

• Stubble
Re: Take My Lunch to Work all of May
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 05:58:37 PM »
I'm in!  I have been pretty good about taking lunch to work for awhile now; hopefully, your challenge will help to keep me motivated when I am tempted to skip it. :)

catpartm3nt

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 11:02:42 AM »
I'm in too! I normally bring my lunch (except maybe 1-2 times a month) but have gotten in a rut of eating the same chicken+broccoli/greens combo for most of April. So the challenge for me will really be to branch out to some new healthy recipes and keep it as cheap as possible in May. (And also to avoid buying snacks when I take walks on my breaks...)

thedigitel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 09:41:43 AM »
I'm doing the same thing this month (and hopefully going forward).  I find that cooking up a large batch of Spanish rice / chili / whatever on Sunday and packing it up into containers really helps me stick with the plan.

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2015, 07:51:57 AM »
Yes! I will totally join you. I've been bringing my lunch pretty consistently the last few months, and I'm loving it. Not only is it cheaper and healthier, it saves me miles in my car and it's been making me attempt cooking (not my strong suit). My lunches are much fancier than my dinners now, which adds some fun to the work day. For next week I'm thinking chicken-parm sandwiches and oven-roasted asparagus!

Like thedigitel, I find packing it up helps. I even bring all five lunches in on Sunday (when I swap the car for the bike), so that it's much harder for me to forget and "need" a bought lunch.

(I won't be turning down whatever snacks or lattes my colleagues bring in for me, though ;) for me this is more monetary/learning to cook than a calorie thing)
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:53:38 AM by MLKnits »

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
I've been trying hard on this challenge all week. I have 20 work days in May with 3 of them having catered lunch meetings. So my goal is to pack the remaining 17 days.

So far so good. Monday I grabbed Spanish chicken from the freezer and later that night I made a giant pot of pasta with bacon bits, diced tomatoes, shredded carrots, red peppers, peas, onions and seasoning... my fiance didn't care for it so I've brought it in 3 days this week with some Parmesan on top to make it fun. I did not pack Thursday as we were fed Qdoba.

Batch cooking and packing the food in lunch sized servings one night a week makes it so much easier. If I don't put the container into a lunchbox and stick the lunchbox into the fridge my fiance tends to 'forget' to take his lunch in since he is not a morning person. I definitely recommend sticking some lunch portions into the freezer for days when you run out of time or prepped lunches. It really has saved me a couple times when I've been too busy all weekend to batch cook.

MMMwannabe72

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2015, 10:43:39 AM »
Holy Crap, That same thing is happening to me, can't get enough food either. Next week I will only buy salad greens and have that and hard boiled eggs and canned wild caught salmon, cheap but good!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 06:20:47 AM »
Why stop with just May? ;)

I find planning to cook enough for leftovers makes packing lunch the easiest. Failing that, sandwiches, fruit, nuts - all good healthy high energy food for biking. Homemade granola is the bomb.

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 10:19:35 AM »
So I packed today and tomorrows lunch yesterday. Baked chicken, crudite & ranch, tiny bit of cheddar broccoli pasta, fig newtons. Working on taking healthier and cheaper choices in my lunch.

I had been packing my lunch 4 out of 5 days a week, but the 1 day a week out was really starting to add up! $8 here ... $12 here...

MLKnits

• Bristles
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »
I'm going on a trip for the upcoming Victoria Day weekend, so I'm planning ahead for how I'll make sure I still pack my lunches for next week. May go for the simple, classic peanut-butter-and-jelly sandwich--no shopping and only about ten minutes' prep time. It'll get me through to another cooking weekend, anyway!

SuperSaver

• Stubble
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 01:12:49 PM »
Wound up getting free lunch 5 days this month. Packed every other day in May!
Success!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!