Author Topic: What small good deed did you do today?  (Read 1860 times)

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
What small good deed did you do today?
« on: February 09, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »
Let's renew the good deeds thread for another year or beyond!

Like the other small things threads, this challenge is not meant to be boastful, but is meant to keep us motivated and share ideas on ways we can make the world a slightly better place.  And sometimes it feels good to be appreciated for the little things we do!

A small thing I did was to post a blood drive event on several groups where I am a member, then the day before the event I sent out a reminder (and gave blood myself during the drive). Maybe my postings got a few more people to show up, and if so, that was a win that maybe saved a couple of lives!

MaybeBabyMustache

• Walrus Stache
    • My Wild Ride to FI
Re: What small good deed did you do today?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2019, 05:27:17 PM »
Oooh, good to see this is back! I called my sister today. She was having a rough day, & I let her know about a surprise I"m planning for us on my sabbatical.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2019, 04:53:42 AM »
Was walking into the grocery store yesterday and the way the doors are positioned you can see a couple of the check out aisles. As i was getting a smaller cart this maybe 5 year old is grabbing a kiddie cart, grabs a bag a chips and start running out the door. The mom was stuck at the register but luckily I grabbed the little bugger or he was going to run right out in traffic. She came running out and grabbed him. Do people say thank you anymore? lol Just saying.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2019, 07:52:12 AM »
Was walking into the grocery store yesterday and the way the doors are positioned you can see a couple of the check out aisles. As i was getting a smaller cart this maybe 5 year old is grabbing a kiddie cart, grabs a bag a chips and start running out the door. The mom was stuck at the register but luckily I grabbed the little bugger or he was going to run right out in traffic. She came running out and grabbed him. Do people say thank you anymore? lol Just saying.

No, many people do not say thank you anymore. Maybe she thought you were trying to take him from the store rather than prevent him from getting killed.

One time I was in the bank parking lot and found a credit card on the ground. I picked it up and went into the bank and was speaking to one of the customer service people about it. Another one comes over and says 'it's my card' takes it and waltzes away without even saying thank you! I would have been so happy and thankful if someone found my card.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2019, 09:35:07 AM »
Re: doing random acts of kindness for ungrateful people,  I feel it's still good to do minor things that lower the general stress level of the world.  Suppose you didn't rescue the child or credit card of a jerk, and the mom has to chase the child in traffic or the jerk has to have their card replaced. They have a (possibly deserved) bad day, but then of course they may be the types to spread it around.  The mom who had to chase her child is now late for an appointment, so she drives aggressively and cuts off two people, etc.

Anyway, good job!  I would certainly have been grateful if somebody stopped my kid from running out the door.  Likely the mom was too flustered to think of saying thank you.

Roadrunner53

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2019, 05:49:48 PM »
A lot of JERKDOM comes from the way people were raised at home. My Mom always told me as a child, when I was in the presence of an adult, to say thank you when I was given something. Some kids today are out of control and need to be chastised by their parents instead the parents think it is cute that little Johnny is being a disruptive brat. Then the parents can't even say thank you for preventing their kid from getting killed. Some parents are so thankful and others are just clueless.

Poundwise

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2019, 08:35:10 PM »
Back to the small good deeds, today I missed dinner with my family in order to sit in the audience of a town meeting.  A friend was speaking in favor of a traffic measure and I wanted to support her.  The measure passed! and hopefully the streets will be a little safer to cross, making it more likely that kids are allowed to walk to school, less cars on the road, and so forth.

soccerluvof4

• Walrus Stache
  • Retired at 50
    • My Journal
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2019, 04:09:16 AM »

No, many people do not say thank you anymore. Maybe she thought you were trying to take him from the store rather than prevent him from getting killed.

One time I was in the bank parking lot and found a credit card on the ground. I picked it up and went into the bank and was speaking to one of the customer service people about it. Another one comes over and says 'it's my card' takes it and waltzes away without even saying thank you! I would have been so happy and thankful if someone found my card.

Yea ...few months ago I was walking and because of bad weather stayed in the streets and had to walk around the drivers side of the car. In doing so I found a wallet filled with cash and credit cards. Looked as person was drunk and dropped when got out. Anyhow I picked it up and took to the police station. Cop say wow money and all your an honest guy. Asked for my name and number so person could thank me. Never got a call. Wasnt looking for one but I know I sure would of.