Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172612 times)

Drole

• Stubble
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #850 on: November 16, 2017, 12:38:22 PM »
I was thinking of starting with some basic lifting, but I discovered that I literally don't have the shoulder mobility to hold a barbell on my shoulders. WTF? Has anyone had this problem? Did any sort of shoulder mobility exercises help?

Have you tried squats on a Smith machine vs free range barbell as that might give you a little more stability starting out.

Also maybe try different foot/leg positions.  I say this only bc I have a shoulder issue that I can't quite figure out.  It makes it really painful to do a nice-looking warrior 1 type pose in yoga and it is much more noticeable with my left leg forward vs right.  So perhaps explore and also see what a wide stance might do or a lunge position. 

For stretching, I would try stretching your bicep (google bicep stretch against wall as I find that one super effective).

Then for the shoulder, check out: https://nancynelsonyoga.com/2014/01/29/8-stretches-for-your-tight-shoulders/ 
I find 1, 2, 3 and 7 most helpful for me (though I just googled to find these pix, I don't actually use this site). 

I've had a little improvement but probably not consistent enough with the stretching.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #851 on: November 16, 2017, 12:56:49 PM »
5K PR today

24:25

on my lunch break, working from home =D

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #852 on: November 16, 2017, 01:02:06 PM »
I set a ton of goals in the 2016 challenge and only successfully attained ~50%. I realize now that some were unrealistic and  I didn't have much structure to my approach.

This year I have goals in 4 categories - Strength, Endurance, Speed, Physique

Strength
Deadlift 625lbs Missed - hit 600x1 and quit powerlifting in March in favor of triathlon training.
Squat 495lbs - hit 455x1 and same ^
Bench 365lbs  hit 355x1 ^
Compete in at least 1 USAPL Powerlifing meet. Negavite

Endurance
Run a half marathon technically yes, because LP had 13.1 mile run
Complete Ironman Lake PLacid 70.3  sub 8 Hours Success, beat this goal by over 30 min
Do one Century Cycle Ride (100 miles +) Missed, longest ride was 66 miles
Swim 1+ mile open water. Swam 1.2 at placid but did 1 mile open water swim in training prior.

Speed
Run a sub 7:00 Mile 7:30 is my fastest this year
Run a sub 24:00 5K 24:25 today, I have time to get this one done
Run a sub 50:00 10k ^ Ditto
Beat last year's Sprint Triathlon record Diceded not to do any Sprint distance races this year
Cycle 25 miles in 1 hour I think I missed this one

Physique
Drop 25lbs by my 30th birthday (May 9th) Currently 234.8lbs Miss, but I am down to 214.8, so 20lbs overall
Get to sub 200lbs by September 10th 2017 ( IMLP 70.3 race) 220 on race day
Keep lean body mass above 175lbs Easy when you're still fat ;)

Well, some of these will have to carry into the 2018 thread :)

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #853 on: November 20, 2017, 11:33:07 PM »
5K PR today

24:25

on my lunch break, working from home =D

Well done!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: November 21, 2017, 08:57:08 PM »
@flan - the pic you shared shows the hands REALLY close together for that squat. Is that the posture you're trying to emulate? Or can you not get both hands *anywhere* on the bar? If the latter, your mobility is pretty awful and needs some attention, possibly even PT. I went through a couple months of PT on my right shoulder last winter and it's done wonders, so I recommend it!

LifeHappens + Drole - I cannot get both hands on the bar *anywhere* and have it over my head. My mobility IS awful. I was shocked I could not do this whatsoever!

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #855 on: November 22, 2017, 10:05:15 AM »
@flan - the pic you shared shows the hands REALLY close together for that squat. Is that the posture you're trying to emulate? Or can you not get both hands *anywhere* on the bar? If the latter, your mobility is pretty awful and needs some attention, possibly even PT. I went through a couple months of PT on my right shoulder last winter and it's done wonders, so I recommend it!

LifeHappens + Drole - I cannot get both hands on the bar *anywhere* and have it over my head. My mobility IS awful. I was shocked I could not do this whatsoever!
Oh, boy. That is pretty limiting. I used to follow Mobility WOD. There is a book, "Becoming a Supple Leopard" that explains a lot of the stretches, but at your stage, I think literally any kind of stretching, yoga, etc. would be helpful.

jordanread

« Reply #856 on: November 28, 2017, 07:34:34 AM »

Oh, boy. That is pretty limiting. I used to follow Mobility WOD. There is a book, "Becoming a Supple Leopard" that explains a lot of the stretches, but at your stage, I think literally any kind of stretching, yoga, etc. would be helpful.

Pretty sure we have that, and some videos in the resource post here.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #857 on: November 28, 2017, 07:53:24 AM »
Starting a part-time job today at a high-end fitness studio, which will not only hook me up with some cash but also a free unlimited fitness membership at a gym that costs $225/month. So now I get all the pilates reformer, barre, spinning, and indoor rowing my heart desires.

...Please stay tuned for me getting back the 4-pack abs of my youth.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #858 on: November 28, 2017, 04:14:04 PM »

Pretty sure we have that, and some videos in the resource post here.

Thank you, LifeHappens and jordanread! I'm gonna look into some of those flexibility resources. Interestingly, I did some testing, and it seems that it is mostly my LEFT shoulder rotation that is limited by 10-15 degrees compared to my right (which is not super flexible, but at least can lay flat against a wall with arm in a right angle). I am almost wondering whether the "improved" right shoulder flexibility is because I have been pressing my coffee with my right arm/shoulder for the last year+? How odd. I've switched arms for pressing coffee in the mornings JUST IN CASE!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #859 on: December 14, 2017, 09:17:13 AM »
@flan  I just saw your mobility question! (Haven't checked this thread in ages). YES, I had pretty bad mobility starting out. For me, it was front rack position- I couldn't raise my elbows. Turned out for me tight lats were a key component.

Here's some KStar videos that might help: https://youtu.be/skHV4sTF3hI and https://youtu.be/mD9NtKH8ZyA His content is usually just wonderful. Video quality is terrible ;)
It sounds like what you have is the same we've been dealing with for my BIL, and it's (sadly enough) often called "computer hunch", "programmer's shoulders" that sorta thing. It's also sometimes called "runners shoulders", which IIRC you run, so could be related to that. Also when you sit a lot, and roll your shoulders forward. My understanding is: It results in a lack of external rotation of the shoulder. This can be lat tightness, pec tightness, scapular retraction issues, or just not having the muscular cues/awareness down.

Anyway, I don't know a ton about it, but I figured giving some terminology and resources might help in your quest for improvement =)

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #860 on: December 14, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »
@flan  I just saw your mobility question! (Haven't checked this thread in ages). YES, I had pretty bad mobility starting out. For me, it was front rack position- I couldn't raise my elbows. Turned out for me tight lats were a key component.

Here's some KStar videos that might help: https://youtu.be/skHV4sTF3hI and https://youtu.be/mD9NtKH8ZyA His content is usually just wonderful. Video quality is terrible ;)
It sounds like what you have is the same we've been dealing with for my BIL, and it's (sadly enough) often called "computer hunch", "programmer's shoulders" that sorta thing. It's also sometimes called "runners shoulders", which IIRC you run, so could be related to that. Also when you sit a lot, and roll your shoulders forward. My understanding is: It results in a lack of external rotation of the shoulder. This can be lat tightness, pec tightness, scapular retraction issues, or just not having the muscular cues/awareness down.

Anyway, I don't know a ton about it, but I figured giving some terminology and resources might help in your quest for improvement =)

Dude. My sitting-at-a-computer (my normal workday) to running ratio is roughly 500 hours to 1. Lately, it's been infinity : 0, so the "programmer's shoulders" would make sense!

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #861 on: December 14, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »
I’he recently started doing this multiple times a day to help compensate for deskprison.

Streatch for rounded shoulders:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GcV1Qdt686E

Trifle

• Walrus Stache
    • In The Garden
« Reply #862 on: December 31, 2017, 06:48:14 AM »
Posting for accountability.  I did not make my goal (5 pushups, 1 pullup) this year.  I was making great progress, and had gotten to 3 good pushups and 75+ lbs on the lat pulldown in the summer, when I injured my shoulder again.  It's better now (no pain at rest), and I have full range of motion thankfully.  But I am once again weak as a kitten in the upper body, starting from scratch.  Same goal for 2018!     

tralfamadorian

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #863 on: December 31, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
End of year

Initial goals: Actual in blue
Cardio >= 4x/week 3x/week
Weights >= 3x/week 3x/week
Yoga >= 3x/week injured my shoulder
>= 4.2mph treadmill workout 4.0mph
1 set/1 chin up injured my shoulder
Increase flexibility to reach toes with knuckles big fat fail
Maintain flexibility done

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #864 on: December 31, 2017, 11:55:07 AM »
My summary:

Initial goals: Actual in blue (completed)/orange (partial)/red(fail)

Join S&F Thread   done      
Lose >= 2" in waist   1.25"    (more to work on next year)
Lose >= 2" in hips   2"  yayayayayay      
Increase hip flexibility     slight improvement      
Lower back PT exercises >= 5x/week   did exercises for only 12 consecutive weeks ( big fail), met goal for 9/12 weeks, averaging 4.5 times per week over those 12 weeks.
Bike commute >= 26x    26x exactly      
Cardio >= 3x/week   didn't do 3x/week every week, but averaged exactly 3x/week (if I stretch the definition of cardio)

I was worried about doing this update, because I knew I'd been slacking off recently.  But I was focused enough earlier in the year that overall it doesn't look too bad. 

I don't have an objective way to measure hip flexibility.  It was on the list because I was finding it difficult to get dressed in the morning.  That's less challenging now, so there must have been some improvement in flexibility (or maybe the improvement is just because there is less of me in the way now.)  I can't say I ever did anything specific to target this goal, so I'm calling it partially successful.

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #865 on: December 31, 2017, 12:13:06 PM »
much to work on in 2018.

Lose >= 8lbs: nope, I was down about 4, but have been on a cookie diet this month. 
   •   <= 16% body fat: have not measured in a few months but no.
   •   Full splits: nope
   •   Complete 30 day split program: yes, but it didn’t work for me
   •   Consistent ab work: partial
   •   Consistently perform Stretch Therapy Program: no
   •   Run >= 3x/week: yes
   •   Run w/speed, hill or cross-training component-1x/week: yes
   •   Yoga >= 1x/week: yes
   •   Plank practice >= 3x/week: yes
   •   >=07:00 plank: yes
   •   Practice press handstand >= 1x/week: nope
   •   1 set/10 Press Handstands: nope
   •   Bike to all nearby errands: yes
   •   >= 1 hike/month: no
   •   Passeggiata >= 3x/week: probably 2x/week
   •   Find slackline setup location: no options at house
   •   Practice slackline: no options to set up at current house
   •   Incorporate social activities in fitness: yes
   •   Consistent Keto Eating: yes until I decided it wasn't working for me.

working on a new plan for 2018

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #866 on: December 31, 2017, 02:20:56 PM »
I used Beeminder to track my "Do Something Active 1x per day" goal. I was at 84%, so I'll take it. I did also complete C25k and run a 5k in my neighborhood. Lots to do in the New Year, right after I get over this noroviris.

jordanread

« Reply #867 on: January 02, 2018, 10:17:06 AM »
Team,

I forgot to post that the new gauntlet is thrown for 2018. Join in here!!

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #868 on: January 02, 2018, 10:54:47 AM »
Eight month check-in.  Still losing weight with little effect on body fat percentage.

Input Goal: Run 130x / 10 months = 13x/month.
Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, August 12x, September 11x, October 10.
Total runs 77. 

Results Goal:  Drop from 33% body fat to 30%.
Results: Body fat now maybe 31%. 

Notes:  Foot pain has not improved.  Had been improving a little; raised workout effort slightly, got immediate skyrocketing in arch pain.  Revisited doctor, was instructed to reduce running.  Will do so grudgingly but seek some alternate exercise.

Have been doing prescribed physical therapy to work on short head tendonitis.  Feels more painful than before, but PT claims we are on track to resolve probably this month.  I hope they're right!  However, they also sternly instructed me to not add any strength work until they're done.

Year end check in.  Achieved results goal! 

Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, Aug 12x, Sep 11x, Oct10x, Nov 7x, Dec 2x.
Total runs 86 = 8.6x/month.

Results: Body fat 29.25%.

Notes:  Completed physical therapy for upper body at start of December.  No medical progress medically on feet, but learned some tricks from a running shoe company owner and began applying them.  Did not find much alternate aerobic exercise, but enjoyed a trip to the Andes and hiked to the top of a mountain there (maybe 14,000 feet altitude), and did one glorious 34 minute run at 9000 feet.  Did a few pushups and squats in December, and pullup attempts... I can now do one pullup on a good day, up from zero.  Somehow this slack December gained 3 lbs muscle and lost 2 pounds fat, nudging me under 30% body fat at last.

jordanread

« Reply #869 on: January 02, 2018, 11:27:09 AM »
Eight month check-in.  Still losing weight with little effect on body fat percentage.

Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, August 12x, September 11x, October 10.
Total runs 77. 

Results: Body fat now maybe 31%. 

Notes:  Foot pain has not improved.  Had been improving a little; raised workout effort slightly, got immediate skyrocketing in arch pain.  Revisited doctor, was instructed to reduce running.  Will do so grudgingly but seek some alternate exercise.

Have been doing prescribed physical therapy to work on short head tendonitis.  Feels more painful than before, but PT claims we are on track to resolve probably this month.  I hope they're right!  However, they also sternly instructed me to not add any strength work until they're done.

Year end check in.  Achieved results goal! 

Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, Aug 12x, Sep 11x, Oct10x, Nov 7x, Dec 2x.
Total runs 86 = 8.6x/month.

Results: Body fat 29.25%.

Notes:  Completed physical therapy for upper body at start of December.  No medical progress medically on feet, but learned some tricks from a running shoe company owner and began applying them.  Did not find much alternate aerobic exercise, but enjoyed a trip to the Andes and hiked to the top of a mountain there (maybe 14,000 feet altitude), and did one glorious 34 minute run at 9000 feet.  Did a few pushups and squats in December, and pullup attempts... I can now do one pullup on a good day, up from zero.  Somehow this slack December gained 3 lbs muscle and lost 2 pounds fat, nudging me under 30% body fat at last.

You fucking rocked it this year!!

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #870 on: January 02, 2018, 01:13:51 PM »
Weigh <= 265lbs -> 285lbs bw (down from 340)
Squat 1RM/550lbs -> 495lbs
Bench 1RM/405lbs ->350
Deadlift 1RM/650lbs ->605
Overhead axle 1RM @ 315lbs -> 290
Overhead log 1RM @ 315lbs -> 320!!!
400lb stone to 52" platform -> 335 stone
No injuries - super fail. One surgery and a minor pec tear. Pretty happy with my results given the injuries though, they set me back several months. This year will hold some great things.