Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172659 times)

brute

• Pencil Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #800 on: August 13, 2017, 03:12:19 PM »
Bench is up to 225 for sets of 20. I haven't been trying for max weight on anything since the surgery 4 months ago, but I think I'm going to start strength training again. I've got my eye on a strongman contest in december, so we'll see how that goes. Sitting at 295 today, down 45 pounds since January. 20 more pounds to go, I think i'd like to walk around at 275.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #801 on: August 13, 2017, 03:58:25 PM »
With my new job I have the time available to work out for an hour in the morning and at lunch on most days.  I want to make the best of it, but I also need to be careful about overdoing it.  My fitness requirement is 2 minute of pushups, 2 minutes of sit ups, and a 2 mile run.  I also want to build up my joints to prevent any more injuries. I have the start of a routine that I'd like some feedback on:

Monday - morning: treadmill run 2 miles
Tuesday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Wednesday - morning: treadmill hill runs; afternoon: leg exercises
Thursday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Friday - morning: treadmill run 3-5 miles; afternoon: ?
Sat-Sun: rest

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything or doing too much of something? There will be mornings where I don't work out and will likely combine my morning and afternoon routines if I have the time.

What kinds of set/rep scheme are you following, and at what percentage of 1RM?

I see you are doing a two day split routine wth a bunch of cardio thrown in, and basically working your legs 4-5 days per week. Way too much leg work, especially with the running, unless your volume is super light.  Drop the leg work on Wednesdays. And since you only have to be able to run two miles, for the time being stick to that. Also, drop the rowing or else substitute it for one day of running. The last thing I would want to do after a back workout is row.

You might also consider doing abs on your running days. I would not work abs and lower back same day, unless your volume is super low.

Good luck with your training!

I've been doing mostly 3 sets of 10.  I might put in another set if I think I can handle more weight.  I've never calculated RM1 so I can't answer that.  While I'm tested on a 2 mile run, I need to have the stamina to go 4 miles since we do that as a group occasionally.  I'm definitely cutting out the rowing since I have to go straight from work to the gym to meet up with my family.  If I cut the Wed afternoon leg workout, are the squats and running enough for leg conditioning or should I be adding something else?

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #802 on: August 14, 2017, 04:08:10 PM »
Ran half a mile to the gym at lunch, ran for 2.25 miles in 16 minutes on the treadmill, and ran a half mile back.  I didn't have enough time to do anything else today.  At the two mile mark I felt like I still had some gas in the tank so my next speed run I'll bump it up a couple notches.  Tomorrow I want to try deadlifts when I go back to work out.  I've only tried them a couple times and kept hitting my legs. 

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #803 on: August 15, 2017, 02:44:04 AM »
I have been working my way up to doing a HM on the 17th of September.

Today I signed up to do one on the 3rd, mostly as a test run (no pun intended) to see if I can actually survive the distance.

Suddenly with only 2 weeks to go I have a bit less time to freak out about it all which is good too. Will aim to do the first one in 2:06... 6 minutes a kilometre is a little below my 10K pace of ~5:30, the hard part will be actually forcing myself to run at that slower pace.

Can then aim to break 2 hours 2 weeks later.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #804 on: August 15, 2017, 11:31:14 AM »
Have been extremely demotivated around working out, possibly because I hit my "goals" for lifting. I really, really miss classpass and working out in a small group environment every single day, plus the variety. I've gotten lazy with my own workouts, going through the motions.

Though, I have started the splits class, and it is totally helping. I am pretty sure in ~2 weeks I will have my splits on one side. Have been going to yoga about 3-4 days a week at least, as well.

A friend invited me to join her and her partner running a half-marathon in December. It is $70 but I am tempted to do it, regardless, as motivation for keeping up with running. My running lately has only been 10-25 minutes per day on the treadmill in order to warm up for stretching and weight lifting. I'm not getting any "better" at running.

I don't even long to be great at running halfmarathons (I've done 7 or so, including 2 of them in a weekend) but I need a concrete goal to work towards and external accountability. I'm really lacking in working out motivation, at least training for a half-marathon will give me something to work towards.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #805 on: August 15, 2017, 11:32:53 AM »
Suddenly with only 2 weeks to go I have a bit less time to freak out about it all which is good too. Will aim to do the first one in 2:06... 6 minutes a kilometre is a little below my 10K pace of ~5:30, the hard part will be actually forcing myself to run at that slower pace.
I am extremely jealous. 2:01 is my PR for half-marathons. Still haven't broken the 2 hour mark, possibly because I tiny and have real short legs, most likely cuz I'm not a great runner. Good luck!

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #806 on: August 16, 2017, 04:04:05 PM »
With my new job I have the time available to work out for an hour in the morning and at lunch on most days.  I want to make the best of it, but I also need to be careful about overdoing it.  My fitness requirement is 2 minute of pushups, 2 minutes of sit ups, and a 2 mile run.  I also want to build up my joints to prevent any more injuries. I have the start of a routine that I'd like some feedback on:

Monday - morning: treadmill run 2 miles
Tuesday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Wednesday - morning: treadmill hill runs; afternoon: leg exercises
Thursday - morning: squats, chest, biceps; afternoon: abs, lower back; evening: rowing machine, upper back, triceps
Friday - morning: treadmill run 3-5 miles; afternoon: ?
Sat-Sun: rest

Does this make sense? Am I missing anything or doing too much of something? There will be mornings where I don't work out and will likely combine my morning and afternoon routines if I have the time.

What kinds of set/rep scheme are you following, and at what percentage of 1RM?

I see you are doing a two day split routine wth a bunch of cardio thrown in, and basically working your legs 4-5 days per week. Way too much leg work, especially with the running, unless your volume is super light.  Drop the leg work on Wednesdays. And since you only have to be able to run two miles, for the time being stick to that. Also, drop the rowing or else substitute it for one day of running. The last thing I would want to do after a back workout is row.

You might also consider doing abs on your running days. I would not work abs and lower back same day, unless your volume is super low.

Good luck with your training!

I've been doing mostly 3 sets of 10.  I might put in another set if I think I can handle more weight.  I've never calculated RM1 so I can't answer that.  While I'm tested on a 2 mile run, I need to have the stamina to go 4 miles since we do that as a group occasionally.  I'm definitely cutting out the rowing since I have to go straight from work to the gym to meet up with my family.  If I cut the Wed afternoon leg workout, are the squats and running enough for leg conditioning or should I be adding something else?

Yep, definitely overdoing it right now. Between Monday's run and squats/deadlifts yesterday my legs were crushed today.  I was sore and tight and just jogging to the gym was an effort.  I did about half a mile of hills on the treadmill and had to turn it off. About the only thing I could do today was some light arms and abs.  My body is still adjusting to the exertion and I need to sort out the order and frequency of my workouts.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
  • Mustachian-ish in Live Music Capital of the World
« Reply #807 on: August 17, 2017, 12:59:36 PM »
I am extremely jealous. 2:01 is my PR for half-marathons. Still haven't broken the 2 hour mark, possibly because I tiny and have real short legs, most likely cuz I'm not a great runner. Good luck!

I once met a woman who had been the women's world champion in the marathon.  She was about 4'10" or 4'11". 

Measure against yourself and not others.  Never accept false limitations though.  Your height allows fantastic running! 

Anyway, best wishes on any future half marathons.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:15:14 PM by Bicycle_B »

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #808 on: August 22, 2017, 09:13:09 AM »
New goals:
1) By October 21, complete Couch 2 5k program.
2) Continue shoulder rehab exercises a minimum of 3 days per week.

I completed Week 2, Day 1 of Couch 2 5k this morning. It's going well so far, but I want to give myself some extra time to repeat days as needed. I repeated all of Week 1 to condition my legs a bit and I think it helped.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #809 on: August 24, 2017, 11:44:21 AM »
Interesting article about how exercise creates lifelong benefits into old age.

Age Like a Former Athlete
https://nyti.ms/2vXDpvl

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #810 on: August 24, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »

I once met a woman who had been the women's world champion in the marathon.  She was about 4'10" or 4'11". 

Measure against yourself and not others.  Never accept false limitations though.  Your height allows fantastic running! 

Anyway, best wishes on any future half marathons.

Being small (and not top heavy) is very advantageous - in running and cycling especially. Nobody wants to be carrying around heavy shoulders towards the back end of a race, doubly so if you're going up a hill!

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #811 on: September 02, 2017, 05:08:45 AM »
My August focus was an online challenge where I completed (I did more in most categories but stopped adding it after reaching the target):
Burpees: 1000+
Pushups: 1064
Situps: 1000
Dips: 1030
Broadjumps: 1000
Plank: 25min (including one round of 8 minutes to knock out my goal of a 7min plank...rotating between different positions, but staying in one form or another of plank)
Run: 51.5mile+

I worked out every day in August.  My arms are back looking in great shape. 

Mixing things up again for September.  Still searching for abs.  Back working on flexibility too as I bought a groupon for a month of yoga.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #812 on: September 03, 2017, 03:52:03 PM »
Six month check-in.  Weird results - apparently lost muscle but not fat.  Error with the tape measure?  Also, began having foot problems.  Focusing for September on solving the foot issues.  Will still run, but lighter workouts and no "extra" runs.

Input Goal: Run 130x / 10 months = 13x/month.
Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, August 12x.
Total runs 56.  Goal unlikely, but running habit is getting re-established.

Results Goal:  Drop from 33% body fat to 30%.
Results: Body fat now 30%.

Notes:  Body fat was 28.75% last month, weight 151.5 lbs.  Now body fat is 30.2%, weight 148.3 lbs.  Implies that lean weight, previously 108 lbs and consistently 110 to 108, dropped to 103 lbs.  I think I have somehow mismeasured.  For now will simply continue and see what happens.

Began having foot problems in mid-month.  Slightly reducing workout distance and frequency instead of increasing; doing some foot-related exercises.  Will explore replacing my orthotics (foot inserts).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:53:35 PM by Bicycle_B »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #813 on: September 03, 2017, 08:53:36 PM »
I wasn't as good this week because of work.

I did 3 cardio workouts, 30 minutes each time.
I weight lifted 2 times this week.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #814 on: September 04, 2017, 09:21:33 AM »
Six month check-in.  Weird results - apparently lost muscle but not fat.  Error with the tape measure?  Also, began having foot problems.  Focusing for September on solving the foot issues.  Will still run, but lighter workouts and no "extra" runs.

Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, August 12x.
Total runs 56.  Goal unlikely, but running habit is getting re-established.

Results: Body fat now 30%.

Notes:  Body fat was 28.75% last month, weight 151.5 lbs.  Now body fat is 30.2%, weight 148.3 lbs.  Implies that lean weight, previously 108 lbs and consistently 110 to 108, dropped to 103 lbs.  I think I have somehow mismeasured.  For now will simply continue and see what happens.

Began having foot problems in mid-month.  Slightly reducing workout distance and frequency instead of increasing; doing some foot-related exercises.  Will explore replacing my orthotics (foot inserts).

Measuring body fat is notoriously tricky. I find progress photos tell a better story. It's possible you were just a bit bloated or holding water which will affect the measurement. Are you using calipers?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #815 on: September 07, 2017, 05:03:33 PM »

Measuring body fat is notoriously tricky. I find progress photos tell a better story. It's possible you were just a bit bloated or holding water which will affect the measurement. Are you using calipers?

No, just tape measure and scale - the formula in "measure body fat without calipers", from post 4 above:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/90931-measure-body-fat-percentages-calipers/
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:06:33 PM by Bicycle_B »

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #816 on: September 12, 2017, 03:39:04 PM »
Last week:

I did 3 cardio workouts, 30 minutes each time. 2 times with elliptical, 1 time with staircase
I weight lifted 2 times this week.

I taught 2 yoga classes.

I hope to do better this week, but last week I was swamped with work on Sunday and then Monday this week.
I already did a cardio workout today so hopefully starting things right

Omaha420402

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #817 on: September 12, 2017, 07:34:52 PM »
Goals before EOY 2017:

Clean and Jerk: 360lb
Back Squat:510lb
Snatch: 260lb
Front Squat: 440lb
Bench: 400lb
OHP: 245lb strict

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #818 on: September 15, 2017, 09:16:34 AM »
So I currently have a pretty solid weekly habit of
  • 1x 30min tabata weight class
  • 1x 30min bootcamp
  • 2x 60min krav maga beginner class

I went through a round of Whole30 and am generally more mindful of how I eat.

WHY IS IT THAT NEITHER MY WEIGHT NOR MY WAIST HAS BUDGED? I also don't feel stronger. What am I missing? *sadness*

Drole

• Stubble
« Reply #819 on: September 15, 2017, 10:38:15 PM »
WHY IS IT THAT NEITHER MY WEIGHT NOR MY WAIST HAS BUDGED? I also don't feel stronger. What am I missing? *sadness*

Oh I hear ya! are you actually tracking what you eat (my fitness pal works well) and/or weighing/measuring your food? When I first started tracking I saw how much I was eating. All foods that were okay for my keto diet, but at my size, I just don't get to eat fat bombs. I'd suggest trying something radically different diet wise from what you've been doing. I just changed and think I am seeing the change I want. So maybe try keto, or vegetarian or vegan or gaps.....see what happens for 30 days.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #820 on: September 18, 2017, 02:25:37 PM »

Oh I hear ya! are you actually tracking what you eat (my fitness pal works well) and/or weighing/measuring your food? When I first started tracking I saw how much I was eating. All foods that were okay for my keto diet, but at my size, I just don't get to eat fat bombs. I'd suggest trying something radically different diet wise from what you've been doing. I just changed and think I am seeing the change I want. So maybe try keto, or vegetarian or vegan or gaps.....see what happens for 30 days.

Thanks! Yeah, I just ordered a box of keto strips and plan on forcing myself to add more non-starchy vegetables to my meals. Hopefully with the keto strips I'll at least get an idea of whether I even ever get into ketosis on the food I'm eating now. I'm also going to consciously add more weight to my two 30-min weekly workouts.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #821 on: September 18, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
I have been completely AWOL but decided to jump back in.

After making very little progress the first half of the year, I bit the bullet and started working out with a personal trainer in June. Started with 2 sessions a week supplemented with walking and hiking. Started feeling stronger, added a kick boxing class. When I didn't die in that class, started trying other classes, and as I didn't die or puke in any of those, started actually enjoying them.

I am still meeting with my personal trainer twice a week, average an additional 3 classes at the gym (mostly cross-fit style workouts), hiking 2-3 times a week, walking the dog every day, and I've even added in a couple of short runs. Apparently, a fitness habit was a keystone habit because I've finally dialed in my eating as well. I tracked for about a month to get a feel for what was working for me, and now I feel pretty solid in my eating habits after being off the rails for...a while.

Just got back from a week in Flagstaff where I hiked all week and felt stronger than I have in my life. I'm down about 10 pounds and about 3-4% body fat and plan on keeping going with the personal trainer until I reach my goal.

I thought it might be helpful for others to jump back into the thread and update. I just don't think I was ready to make the changes necessary before. I tend to be a person who goes all in and then can't fail small, which has always sabatoged all previous efforts. This was the first time I made small changes (both with fitness and diet) and ramped up progressively and I finally feel like I have developed healthy habits vs. trying to rely on willpower. The improvements in physical health have also resulted in a much better mental and emotional state. I find I'm better able to deal with work stress and I'm having more success in navigating personal relationships as well.

So, I'm back in on this challenge!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #822 on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:04 AM »
I achieved my 2017 goal of finishing Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 in under 8 hours last weekend. Hooray.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #823 on: September 19, 2017, 07:14:15 PM »
I like how everyone is working/achieving goals.

Last week:

I did 4 cardio workouts, 30 minutes each time. 2 with elliptical, 2 with staircase
I weight lifted 1 time this week.

I taught 4 yoga classes.

Hoping to get my cardio to a more regular 4 to 5 times a week. I have to get as toned and defined as possible for my trip to Ft. Lauderdale in late December.

Diet is rich in vegetables, fruit, some carbs some protein. I'm hoping that if I provide my microbiome the fiber it needs, those bacteria will burn up sugar trying to digest the fiber.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #824 on: September 20, 2017, 11:15:53 PM »
I was out on a business trip all of last week and didn't do much of anything. Monday was an ass-kicker at the gym. I made the mistake of running for a couple miles outside yesterday at lunch instead of doing the treadmill at the gym.  The temperature is trending downward and for a few critical moments it felt cool outside so I kept running. About a mile into the run the sun reminded me it still reigns supreme here.  I won't be doing that again for another month.  I finally found some time in my schedule to get a consult at the gym next week to discuss some plans and options.

Current 2-mile time: 16:00
Current deadlift: 95lbs
Current squat: 135lbs

I'm much lighter on the deadlift because I keep thinking I'm doing them wrong and don't want to get hurt.  One of many things I want to discuss with the trainer.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #825 on: September 25, 2017, 12:00:04 AM »
Been MIA pretty hard on this site haha, but goals are coming along well

(Bulk to 215 lbs) - Completed, and began cutting about 6 weeks ago.  Down to 206, and seeing some nice definition, but will probably need to drop to 195 or so before I’m where I want to be with body fat.

(1x5 Rack Pulls 455 lbs) - I’m working with 435lbs for 4x3, I should make this goal pretty quick.

(1x5 Weighted Chin Ups and Dips with 90 lbs added) - Dips are halfway there, Chin Ups are coming more slowly.  I bet I’ll get the +90 Dips by the end of the year, but the Chins ups will probably only be +45.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #826 on: October 01, 2017, 10:59:18 AM »
Didn't sleep in this morning and ran the city block around my neighborhood - 4.3 miles at an 8:20 pace.  My long distance goal is a 10k at 8 min/mile pace.  It would have been an even 5 miles, but my body quit half a mile short of the house.  It's been a while since I've gone that far in one stretch.  While it felt good to run that far, I'm sapped for the energy to do anything else this morning, lol.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #827 on: October 01, 2017, 12:44:04 PM »
I did a triathlon last year and plan to do 3-4 this year of sprint distance.

My goals:

1.  Don't over train. Follow a coherent training plan. I exhausted myself about two months before my tri last year, then had a month of food poisoning (so sick). Put me in bad shape for the triathlon that came.

2. Put more time on open water swimming so I don't freak out next time.

3. Get a consistent run schedule and possibly some coaching to avoid injury.

4. Lose 5 pounds to get back to training weight.

Goals and plans likely to modify over the year.

ETA -

Last year's triathlon photo -

My arms are basically unchanged. I just need to shave off some middle padding to get back to "fighting" weight. Put in 2 1/2 hours on the indoor trainer between Monday and Tuesday. I'll run tonight, swim on Thursday, try a brick of some sort Friday, Saturday women's running group, Sunday.... maybe a recovery day, particularly if the weather is gross.

I hate exercising indoors.

Trying to be more balanced about doing some planks and ab work and stretching and such rather than just run/swim/bike. Just find run/swim/bike to be a lot more fun and interesting then lifting weights or whatever.

10 month update: sixth triathlon for the season is next week. Did  One Olympic distance and And five sprint distance. I’m happy with how they all went. I am training for a half marathon now. My running has improved a lot due too increased mileage. I ran 34 miles last week.  I’m going to try to do more olympicc distance triathlons  next season.

Not sure what I’m going to do over the winter to keep myself busy. I started a new job which means that I have change my training schedule. I have less time to ride although I have an 8 mile round trip bike commute to and from work. That commute doesn’t really make up for having 30 or 40 mile rides a couple times a week. However I can get to the pool and and  morning runs more Easley now. So my swimming on for you and my running has improved and my biking will just get by.

Did not Oover  train. Did follow training plan for the half marathon. That is what well, so next year I plan to follow some sort of training plan for Olympic distance and for speaking increase.

Haven’t checked my weight. I think I’m in a good place. Running has Slimmed me down a bit.

martyconlonontherun

• Bristles
« Reply #828 on: October 01, 2017, 01:18:12 PM »
http://www.fitnesszone.com/product/marpo-x8-mountable-rope-trainer.html?source=googleps2&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpMLOBRC9ARIsAPiGeZCnEmBJtv8rvCKPm0slNZ-WN4CSgnmHW2gYLYjwnb0sIjSSCCxecyIaAjL8EALw_wcB
Had a machine at my hotel and really liked it. Not enough for a couple grand. Any suggestions how I could build it for my home gym or something similar

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #829 on: October 03, 2017, 02:52:17 PM »
Sept. 17-23rd, 3 weightlifting sessions of 25 min. each, 4 cardio sessions of 30 minutes duration - 2 elliptical, 2 stairs
Sept. 24-Oct. 1, 2 weightlifting sessions of 25 minutes, 3 cardio sessions 2 at 30 minutes, 1 at 40 minutes, - jogging, elliptical stairs.

Teaching 4 yoga classes a week now too.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #830 on: October 05, 2017, 06:14:13 AM »
Seven month check-in.  Still baffled by body fat measurements - apparently continuing to lose muscle but not fat.  I guess possible since I'm doing no real strength training for now, just running.  Did visit doctor to determine why shoulder still hurts.  Short head tendonitis is the answer, to be resolved with some habit changes and 4 to 6 weeks of twice weekly therapy.

Also took several "professional" steps re foot problems (arch pain, plantar fasciitis) that have arisen, which was September's focus as planned.  General physician and footwear consultant (supposedly the best in town) both recommend conservative approach of replacing old foot inserts with new off the shelf ones, specifically Spenkos and I-don't-know-what-they're-called-but-they're-better-and-I'm-using-them, respectively.  Keeping workload roughly stable (aka light, no more than 3 runs/week, little to no increase in distance or intensity) for now.  So far, seem to be experiencing the slow recovery that is expected.

Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, August 12x, September 11x.
Total runs 67. 

Results: Body fat now maybe 31%. 

Notes:  Body fat was 28.75% two months ago, weight 151.5 lbs.  Now body fat is 31.3%, weight 148.4 lbs.  Implies that lean weight, previously 108 lbs and consistently 110 to 108, dropped to 102 lbs.  I think I have partially mismeasured, but weight rose temporarily as I changed my outside-of-exercise schedule due to starting to take computer classes.  Yay, life improvement! For now will continue while following therapy instructions.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #831 on: October 05, 2017, 06:35:50 AM »
Seven month check-in.  Still baffled by body fat measurements - apparently continuing to lose muscle but not fat.  I guess possible since I'm doing no real strength training for now, just running.  Did visit doctor to determine why shoulder still hurts.  Short head tendonitis is the answer, to be resolved with some habit changes and 4 to 6 weeks of twice weekly therapy.

Also took several "professional" steps re foot problems (arch pain, plantar fasciitis) that have arisen, which was September's focus as planned.  General physician and footwear consultant (supposedly the best in town) both recommend conservative approach of replacing old foot inserts with new off the shelf ones, specifically Spenkos and I-don't-know-what-they're-called-but-they're-better-and-I'm-using-them, respectively.  Keeping workload roughly stable (aka light, no more than 3 runs/week, little to no increase in distance or intensity) for now.  So far, seem to be experiencing the slow recovery that is expected.

Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, August 12x, September 11x.
Total runs 67. 

Notes:  Body fat was 28.75% two months ago, weight 151.5 lbs.  Now body fat is 31.3%, weight 148.4 lbs.  Implies that lean weight, previously 108 lbs and consistently 110 to 108, dropped to 102 lbs.  I think I have partially mismeasured, but weight rose temporarily as I changed my outside-of-exercise schedule due to starting to take computer classes.  Yay, life improvement! For now will continue while following therapy instructions.

Aaaaand finally the light dawns.  Without resistance, my body has decided to burn muscle as well as fat when I'm hungry.  Some or all of the muscle loss is real.  Crap.

Surprising no one on the STRENGTH AND FITNESS THREAD, I will have to add strength work sooner rather than later.  Crap, I'm doing other things, I don't have time for this.  I'll start next month.  Sigh...ok, 3x per week doing whatever I can think of for strength, 13x month until year ends, at least 15 min/workout.  10x this month, 13 in Nov & Dec, input target 36 workouts. 

jordanread

« Reply #832 on: October 05, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »
Bicycle_B,

That sounds a bit like your body is a bit confused as to what it prefers for energy. Strength training will help, but you may want to revisit your diet. Even pushups and the like will improve that stuff.

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #833 on: October 05, 2017, 08:04:17 AM »
The muscles need some carbs too.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #834 on: October 10, 2017, 08:45:56 PM »
I was so happy to be able to post here saying I'd reached one of my activity goals for the year.  As of today I've biked to work 25 times in 2017.  Then I checked the first page and it turns out my goal was 26 ....

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #835 on: October 12, 2017, 09:47:21 AM »
I'm still working on C25k. I missed a couple weeks due to a pesky hurricane evacuation, so I won't finish before the end of the month. This morning I did Week 5, Day 2, which is Jog 8 minutes, Walk 5 minutes, Jog 8 minutes. The next workout if (*gulp*) - Jog 20 minutes!!

We'll see...

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #836 on: October 12, 2017, 07:18:02 PM »
Last week:

4 cardio workouts, 30 minutes each, 3 times on the elliptical and 1 time on the Staircase machine

2 weightlifting workouts, 25 minutes each.

Taught 4 yoga classes, 90 minutes each class.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #837 on: October 17, 2017, 06:21:32 PM »
Last week:

4 cardio workouts, 30 minutes each, 3 times on the elliptical and 1 time on the Staircase machine

What style of yoga do you teach? Do you demo as you teach? (I'm a teacher too, but I had a baby a month ago and was on bed rest for the month leading up to birth so I've been out of commission.)

DavidAnnArbor

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #838 on: October 17, 2017, 06:41:53 PM »
Last week:

What style of yoga do you teach? Do you demo as you teach? (I'm a teacher too, but I had a baby a month ago and was on bed rest for the month leading up to birth so I've been out of commission.)

Thanks, I teach Iyengar yoga, and am certified as an Iyengar yoga teacher. Ann Arbor was the first city that BKS Iyengar established his style of alignment oriented yoga back in the mid-1970's. bksiyengar.com

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #839 on: October 18, 2017, 06:58:42 PM »
Last week:

Thanks, I teach Iyengar yoga, and am certified as an Iyengar yoga teacher. Ann Arbor was the first city that BKS Iyengar established his style of alignment oriented yoga back in the mid-1970's. bksiyengar.com
I am familiar with Iyengar though I've never been to an actual Iyengar class. I love alignment based yoga. I teach power yoga, I got certified through CorePower Yoga which is a massive commercial yoga chain. Their business model is definitely more "gym yoga" in order to have a broad appeal but they teach alignment based yoga. Books by Baron Baptise and BKS Iyengar were both used for instruction.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #840 on: October 26, 2017, 06:02:24 PM »
Back for an end of year update. Ran. 1/2 marathon past weekend, which was not one of my original goals. Placed first in my age group at my last sprint triathlon.

Qualified for age group nationals in Olympic distance triathlon due to my finish at my last triathlon. Decided to go because I can drive there. Don’t have any of the fancy equipment and judging from finish times from this years nationals, I’ll be in the bottom quintile. Decided I’d rather say that I went than that I qualified. So I’m going to go. Will take myself 10% more seriously this year. 😂😜

SCUBAstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #841 on: October 27, 2017, 03:09:41 PM »
Back for an end of year update. Ran. 1/2 marathon past weekend, which was not one of my original goals. Placed first in my age group at my last sprint triathlon.

Qualified for age group nationals in Olympic distance triathlon due to my finish at my last triathlon. Decided to go because I can drive there. Don’t have any of the fancy equipment and judging from finish times from this years nationals, I’ll be in the bottom quintile. Decided I’d rather say that I went than that I qualified. So I’m going to go. Will take myself 10% more seriously this year. 😂😜

That's quite an achievement - congratulations! I agree with you, if you qualified, definitely go! I'd be proud to come in dead last at an event like that, personally. :-)

Captain DIY

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • DIY to FI
« Reply #842 on: October 30, 2017, 08:33:47 AM »
Boy, looks like I'm a little late for the party as usual! That's ok, I'm gonna dive in and say where I want to go, and I'll look for next year's post soon.
I am just starting Week 3 of my goal to hit the exercise bicycle in my basement every weekday morning, and so far so good. I was just thinking this morning that I need to step up the intensity a bit, as it felt a little lame.
I have also stepped up my strength training again in the last few months, with the ultimate goal of Being Able to Lift Really Heavy Shit. I give myself 3 days a week, one day focused on Deadlifts and other pulling, another day on Bench/Overhead Press and other pushing, and of course the third day on squats and other leg stuff.
I haven't yet set any tangible goals there, but I will just so I can have something to post on this thread.
I also went through a phase a few years ago of trying to build as much weightlifting equipment as possible for as little money as possible, with some great equipment to show for it. The Buff Dudes channel on youtube, specifically featuring their dad DIY Duke, is a great resource in this respect.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #843 on: October 30, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
I lost an 87 week gym streak last week.

I am traveling 4-5+ days a week right now, and am just a mess. Need serious motivation to get my fitness routine back on track.

Dropped and did pushups in the airport yesterday and was at half my usual max.

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #844 on: November 04, 2017, 01:18:14 PM »
Eight month check-in.  Still losing weight with little effect on body fat percentage.

Performance:  Mar 5x, April 5x, May 9x, June 13x, July 12x, August 12x, September 11x, October 10.
Total runs 77. 

Notes:  Foot pain has not improved.  Had been improving a little; raised workout effort slightly, got immediate skyrocketing in arch pain.  Revisited doctor, was instructed to reduce running.  Will do so grudgingly but seek some alternate exercise.

Have been doing prescribed physical therapy to work on short head tendonitis.  Feels more painful than before, but PT claims we are on track to resolve probably this month.  I hope they're right!  However, they also sternly instructed me to not add any strength work until they're done.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #845 on: November 14, 2017, 10:10:32 AM »
Almost the end of the year.

Bulk to 215—DONE, cut to 201 and am back to bulking, @204 lbs at present.

1x5 Rack Pulls @455lbs—DONE, did 1x6 @455lbs this week.

1x5 Weighted Dips @90lbs—ALMOST DONE, did 1x4 with 90lbs last week, will try 1x5 tomorrow.

1x5 Weighted Chin Ups @90lbs—Not even close, I dropped the weight and I’ve been doing a much slower approach, lots of volume.  At 10lbs currently, doing 3-7 rep sets, adding weight each time I reach my target reps.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #846 on: November 14, 2017, 11:25:48 AM »
Ran a 5k today in 38:21. My goal now is to run 1x per week to maintain my endurance and work on my biking distance. I want to be able to cover 20 easy miles on my roadbike by the end of January.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #847 on: November 16, 2017, 09:52:20 AM »
I was thinking of starting with some basic lifting, but I discovered that I literally don't have the shoulder mobility to hold a barbell on my shoulders. WTF? Has anyone had this problem? Did any sort of shoulder mobility exercises help?

Pic for illustration - my shoulder/arms cannot physically rotate back enough to hold the bar on my shoulders - I can't get down below the back of my head, or, if I strain, my neck. Of note, my left side is significantly worse than my right (by probably 10 degrees or so). Could this be because I had dislocated my shoulder at some point previously?

Bicycle_B

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #848 on: November 16, 2017, 11:25:20 AM »
Almost the end of the year.

Bulk to 215—DONE, cut to 201 and am back to bulking, @204 lbs at present.

1x5 Rack Pulls @455lbs—DONE, did 1x6 @455lbs this week.

1x5 Weighted Dips @90lbs—ALMOST DONE, did 1x4 with 90lbs last week, will try 1x5 tomorrow.

1x5 Weighted Chin Ups @90lbs—Not even close, I dropped the weight and I’ve been doing a much slower approach, lots of volume.  At 10lbs currently, doing 3-7 rep sets, adding weight each time I reach my target reps.

I find this highly impressive overall.  The inspiration continues.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #849 on: November 16, 2017, 11:50:39 AM »
@flan - the pic you shared shows the hands REALLY close together for that squat. Is that the posture you're trying to emulate? Or can you not get both hands *anywhere* on the bar? If the latter, your mobility is pretty awful and needs some attention, possibly even PT. I went through a couple months of PT on my right shoulder last winter and it's done wonders, so I recommend it!