Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172646 times)

headwinds

• Stubble
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #250 on: January 25, 2017, 02:37:00 PM »

That's at your house?! I wish we were neighbors.

It's in my spare building. :)

jordanread

« Reply #251 on: January 25, 2017, 02:39:19 PM »
Jakejake, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Welcome!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #252 on: January 25, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »
Umm, so I didn't make it to the gym yesterday despite the nice encouragement from here. Just ended up being a higher priority to get my zines folded, make dinner, and finish a blog post for work and get to bed on time.  Plus my wrist was being an absolute fucker and did not not want any of it, making most easy strength exercises (push up, burpees, planks) not an option. I did get in 9 miles of biking as part of my normal commute, but I broke my 23-day gym streak :( Oh well, time to rebuild it again! Did make it to yoga today, too.

Buddy Nick getting after it today with me at the home gym on the Sheep problem, v5ish
WAIT DID YOU SAY HOME GYM? I need more backstory here.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #253 on: January 25, 2017, 04:34:41 PM »

Plus my wrist was being an absolute fucker and did not not want any of it, making most easy strength exercises (push up, burpees, planks) not an option.

friendly reminder that if your wrists hurt, planks (regular and side) on your forearms are also quite effective :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #254 on: January 25, 2017, 04:45:15 PM »
Check in, on my goal of 30 minutes activity daily:
week 1: Monday was a no-go, Tuesday I walked for 30 minutes, Wednesday no-go, Thursday walked for 30 minutes, Friday 1 hour crossfit workout, Saturday 1 hour yoga, Sunday super active around the house which fitbit gave me 30 minutes of credit for
week 2(in progress):
Monday I did a crossfit style workout with my husband. We warmed up with 12 goblet squats and then 8 banded pullups for 3 rounds. We then did a metcon of 3 rounds: 200m bear crawls, 10 handstand shoulder taps(a workup stunt to handstand walks),  and 10 ring row jumps(a work up stunt to ring muscle ups). After that we did 10 thrusters and 10 pull ups for 3 rounds. We finished with intervals on the rower. This was all a heavily modified version of the Misfit Athletics WOD, we're out of shape. :P
Tuesday I taught yoga and warmed up with some Sun A cycles, core and arm balances plus a headstand; that possibly added up to 30 minutes of effort (teaching doesn't count, mostly I just pace around the class providing assists to students).

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #255 on: January 25, 2017, 06:03:48 PM »

Plus my wrist was being an absolute fucker and did not not want any of it, making most easy strength exercises (push up, burpees, planks) not an option.

friendly reminder that if your wrists hurt, planks (regular and side) on your forearms are also quite effective :)
Oh trust me, I know. My wrists always suck so I have to do everything on my knuckles or forearms. But wrist was generally angry enough last night it wasn't even having any weight bearing activities. Folding paper in half was not a happy wrist activity. RA sucks.

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #256 on: January 25, 2017, 09:01:33 PM »

I work 12 hour shifts. I live in a town with no rock gym. I had a spare building with 12' high ceiling. I built myself a home rock gym. Not very mustachian at all but I never have to pay gym dues again so there's that. And I ask for donations when friends come over to train and they usually kick down a fiver or so which eventually will offset a little bit of the cost. Just don't tell my HOI

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #257 on: January 26, 2017, 05:07:41 AM »

I work 12 hour shifts. I live in a town with no rock gym. I had a spare building with 12' high ceiling. I built myself a home rock gym. Not very mustachian at all but I never have to pay gym dues again so there's that. And I ask for donations when friends come over to train and they usually kick down a fiver or so which eventually will offset a little bit of the cost. Just don't tell my HOI

I wish I was a neighbor too! My son loves to go to the rock gym but it is expensive ($25) and I usually don't climb when I take him. He refuses to take the bus and so I am stuck driving him on the occasions that I can find time to get him there.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #258 on: January 26, 2017, 05:10:55 AM »
Can someone please help me hate running less.

I hate it so much. I'm slow. I get overheated in about a second. I think that I don't have good technique, but I don't know (I am going to find a coach). I get cramps "stiches" in my side unless I haven't eaten in 10 hours. I just do NOT enjoy myself. I'm doing it because I want to do triathlons, but man do I not enjoy my time running.

Things I've worked on:
1. Shorten my stride length. This has helped with the stitches a bit and definitely helped with things like knee pain. It has also helped me have more of a mid-foot strike which is more comfortable vs a heal strike.

Uh, that is about it. I am trying to get in 3-4 runs per week at about 3 miles each... But my schedule or the weather often interfere.

Thanks for any ideas!

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #259 on: January 26, 2017, 07:25:45 AM »

I hate it so much. I'm slow. I get overheated in about a second. I think that I don't have good technique, but I don't know (I am going to find a coach). I get cramps "stiches" in my side unless I haven't eaten in 10 hours. I just do NOT enjoy myself. I'm doing it because I want to do triathlons, but man do I not enjoy my time running.
A few years ago I was looking into how to fix some problems with my stride. I borrowed "Chi Running" from the library, and for me it was helpful for becoming more efficient - I ended up with less up and down movement and I was visualizing my legs more as continuous motion like locomotive wheels, and less as pushing off over and over again.  I got the book as an audio book so I could listen to it with headphones while I was outdoors trying out different strides.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #260 on: January 26, 2017, 11:32:15 AM »
Buddy Nick getting after it today with me at the home gym on the Sheep problem, v5ish

Whoa that's so cool!!!!

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #261 on: January 26, 2017, 11:35:16 AM »
Umm, so I didn't make it to the gym yesterday despite the nice encouragement from here. Just ended up being a higher priority to get my zines folded, make dinner, and finish a blog post for work and get to bed on time.  Plus my wrist was being an absolute fucker and did not not want any of it, making most easy strength exercises (push up, burpees, planks) not an option. I did get in 9 miles of biking as part of my normal commute, but I broke my 23-day gym streak :( Oh well, time to rebuild it again! Did make it to yoga today, too.

While I am fully supportive of your every day workout routine, I also think a day of rest is really good! Especially if you went 23 days in a row lol. :P

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #262 on: January 26, 2017, 11:39:15 AM »

Things I've worked on:
1. Shorten my stride length. This has helped with the stitches a bit and definitely helped with things like knee pain. It has also helped me have more of a mid-foot strike which is more comfortable vs a heal strike.

Uh, that is about it. I am trying to get in 3-4 runs per week at about 3 miles each... But my schedule or the weather often interfere.

Thanks for any ideas!

My idea is this, if you hate running, why do it? There are so many other physical activity options that will be more enjoyable, just as good for cardio health, and probably even better for your body.

Rather than a triathlon, could you just do distance cycling or swimming? Focus on 1 event? I think there are also just cycling and swimming events, no?

For some reason running gets this reputation as the thing "fit" people do, but for a lot of people it really is an inferior form of exercise. It is also linked to long term joint problems.

But if you insist on running, hill sprints or running sets of stairs is usually a bit more fun.

Treadmill = Dreadmill
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 11:47:38 AM by TightFistedScot »

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #263 on: January 26, 2017, 11:45:43 AM »
I forget if my 2017 squat goal was 300 or 315. Either way, I guess I've basically hit it..... It was a fairly conservative goal based on the state of my back, and fear that regular squatting would cause a lot more harm to my injury.

But I have been squatting about once a week for the last 2 months and I squatted 305 for 2 relatively easy reps. (Twice my bodyweight). 

Still taking things slow and conservative. My back feels pretty normal today (stiff and a bit of soreness getting out of bed, but not any worse than usual).

305 for 2 reps: https://www.instagram.com/p/BPtPnI5DBDq/?taken-by=skinnin_kinnon

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #266 on: January 26, 2017, 01:44:35 PM »

Things I've worked on:

Thanks for any ideas!

Things that help my run disliking, but triathlon loving husband:
  • running with a partner.
  • Podcasts and audiobooks rather than listening to music. He gets lost in the story.
  • Speed and hill work. He enjoys a running workout more than just going for a run because it keeps his mind engaged better.
Dude loves nothing more than getting lost in his own head while swimming lap after lap in the pool, but he cannot do that on runs for some reason. So he does things during runs that helps to keep his mind otherwise engaged.

If you get a lot of side cramps, make sure you are taking deep breaths through your mouth. A lot of times slowing my pace a bit and a few deep breaths can help. Also, and this sounds dumb (and I'm certain looks ridiculous), but when you feel one take the hand on your opposite side of the cramp, make a tight fist, and hold the arm straight out while continuing to run for a few strides. I have no idea why that works, but a long time runner told me that once and it certainly seems to the few times I've tried it. You mentioned not eating, is it all eating or just certain foods. Not so much with side stitches, but I have found that I cannot eat certain foods before running (and not always food you'd expect. Mexican? I can eat that before a run no problem. Bagel? Bad news.)

None of this will make you love running, but if you otherwise enjoy competing in triathlons, it might help you at least get through the run.

Dub_the_Builder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #267 on: January 26, 2017, 03:16:24 PM »
This will be a huge focus for me in 2017. My wife had our first child in December of 2015 and we both got lost in the lack of sleep and eating uncontrollably. I gained between 15-20lbs and could not shake it. In the middle of 2016, I joined a gym which helped me get back to consistent movement. I was making strength gains even though my weight and appearance was not changing. Since beginning of the year I have been tracking calories and macros. I am down 10lbs as of today. Unlocking fitness potential relies on me dropping another 20lbs.

The other big change is to move away from social media like Facebook and no electronics after 8pm so I can get a good nights sleep.

Also in the second half of 2016, I really started enjoying nature and took several long hikes. Hope to see that continue in 2017.

Goals

* Kick to a handstand against the wall. This was my January goal in the gym and I am so close if I can just overcome the fear.

* 5 strict pull ups in a row. I can do 1-2 really ugly ones right now.

* Feel comfortable without a shirt on. More intangible goal but we have a trip to the beach later this year.

* Sub 25min 5K. I was right there about 2 years ago then life happened.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #268 on: January 26, 2017, 04:29:17 PM »

Things I've worked on:

Thanks for any ideas!

Things that help my run disliking, but triathlon loving husband:
  • running with a partner.
  • Podcasts and audiobooks rather than listening to music. He gets lost in the story.
  • Speed and hill work. He enjoys a running workout more than just going for a run because it keeps his mind engaged better.
Dude loves nothing more than getting lost in his own head while swimming lap after lap in the pool, but he cannot do that on runs for some reason. So he does things during runs that helps to keep his mind otherwise engaged.

If you get a lot of side cramps, make sure you are taking deep breaths through your mouth. A lot of times slowing my pace a bit and a few deep breaths can help. Also, and this sounds dumb (and I'm certain looks ridiculous), but when you feel one take the hand on your opposite side of the cramp, make a tight fist, and hold the arm straight out while continuing to run for a few strides. I have no idea why that works, but a long time runner told me that once and it certainly seems to the few times I've tried it. You mentioned not eating, is it all eating or just certain foods. Not so much with side stitches, but I have found that I cannot eat certain foods before running (and not always food you'd expect. Mexican? I can eat that before a run no problem. Bagel? Bad news.)

None of this will make you love running, but if you otherwise enjoy competing in triathlons, it might help you at least get through the run.

Thank you. I will try to the arm thing. Pretty much any food is my stomach = stitches, burping, and unhappiness. I think some are worse than others, but my best bet is really just early morning runs, which I can only do twice a week (and man, I do want to sleep in!).

I too can get lost in my head swimming - that is why I like it. Running is more like "OMG, when is this going to be over..."

I do like triathlons, which is enough to motivate me to run but not enough to make me like running. I guess I tolerate it, as needed - just wish it was easier and more enjoyable.

I'll try to arm thing. I am thinking about paying for a few sessions with a coach to see what an expert can tell me.

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #269 on: January 26, 2017, 05:52:35 PM »
* Kick to a handstand against the wall. This was my January goal in the gym and I am so close if I can just overcome the fear.

* Feel comfortable without a shirt on. More intangible goal but we have a trip to the beach later this year.

Great goals man.

About handstands -

Chest to wall is generally accepted as better for building the proper form for a freestanding handstand, I would highly recommend practicing them this way instead of kicking up into a back to wall handstand. Back to wall generally results in an overly extended low back, and not enough shoulder extension. The tradeoff is that the chest to wall handstand is harder to exit.

Highly recommend the tutorial linked below, although I just spent 30 minutes figuring out that you apparently can't embed videos on this forum? :P But anyways good luck in your journey! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctunmnwbbSI

Well Respected Man

• Stubble
« Reply #270 on: January 27, 2017, 06:06:37 AM »
1/3 of the way to my BF% goal - started at 17.6*, now at 16.7*. Weight is tied with a post-war low, so no need for calorie counting yet. Had no meat at all this week, and only one non-vegan dinner, which was using up some ricotta. Today is my scheduled day off, but I'm going to work out anyway, to make up for some of the previous weekend misses.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #271 on: January 27, 2017, 08:08:04 AM »
So I don't generally measure my weight. I prefer to go by clothing fit, and performance, and total inches (if I could ever find my measuring tape again, grr). But we were at my ILs last weekend, and DH and I both hopped on the scale. And oh my god! I clocked in at 149lbs. I've never weighed that much in my life. It was a little disheartening, but I tried to not let it get to me.. I had been as high as 141lb last year when I was lifting a ton and first hitting all my PRs. DH's weight was up a lot too, but he's been gleefully crossing the line between "fit" and "jacked", haha, so I wasn't too surprised there I guess. His weight fluctuates a lot, and it was still 20lbs less than when he was "fat" (there's no nice way to say that, is there? Because 'overweight' is non specific here).

Anyway, he texts yesterday. When he's at campus for his masters classes, he uses the gym there. He hopped on *their* scale. And was a whopping 16# less. Which would make me 133lbs, which is what I've weighed 99% of the time since my junior year of college.

Again, silly, total vanity, the number doesn't matter. I know the intellectually. But it was still nice to find out I'm not up 15lbs from weigh in!

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #272 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:24 AM »
This will be a huge focus for me in 2017. My wife had our first child in December of 2015 and we both got lost in the lack of sleep and eating uncontrollably. I gained between 15-20lbs and could not shake it. In the middle of 2016, I joined a gym which helped me get back to consistent movement. I was making strength gains even though my weight and appearance was not changing. Since beginning of the year I have been tracking calories and macros. I am down 10lbs as of today. Unlocking fitness potential relies on me dropping another 20lbs.

The other big change is to move away from social media like Facebook and no electronics after 8pm so I can get a good nights sleep.

Also in the second half of 2016, I really started enjoying nature and took several long hikes. Hope to see that continue in 2017.

Goals

These are awesome goals man! I can't even imagine how my health would be impacted by having a new kid. Losing sleep and increased stress from a baby would cause such difficulties in nutrition and energy to exercise.

I did a couple things to limit social media as a new years resolution. I started leaving my phone at the other side of my office so I would have to physically move to look at twitter/insta/FB. And I don't charge my phone in my room anymore, so I don't look at it before bed.

Cool body positive goal of feeling confident without a shirt. Is it more about how you actually look, or how you feel within your body?

jordanread

« Reply #273 on: January 27, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »

Goals

DTB, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Let me know if you shift your headstand goal based on Headwind's advice, let me know and I'll update the goal.

TFS, idle curiosity here. Are you holding your breath when you go down on the squats? I can see the exhale at the top, and something right before you go down, just not sure what.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #274 on: January 27, 2017, 08:57:11 AM »

Goals

DTB, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Let me know if you shift your headstand goal based on Headwind's advice, let me know and I'll update the goal.

TFS, idle curiosity here. Are you holding your breath when you go down on the squats? I can see the exhale at the top, and something right before you go down, just not sure what.

Yes, he's holding his breath.  In powerlifting and weightlifting you are taught to hold your breath through the lift.  When done correctly, holding your breath helps stabilize your spine and keeps your core engaged.

jordanread

« Reply #275 on: January 27, 2017, 09:07:05 AM »

Yes, he's holding his breath.  In powerlifting and weightlifting you are taught to hold your breath through the lift.  When done correctly, holding your breath helps stabilize your spine and keeps your core engaged.

Interesting. In body weight, they say it's important to breathe throughout the exercise. That's a bit of a challenge for me, because I am so not good at the whole breathing thing.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #276 on: January 27, 2017, 09:18:08 AM »

Interesting. In body weight, they say it's important to breathe throughout the exercise. That's a bit of a challenge for me, because I am so not good at the whole breathing thing.

The main issue is when loaded with a bunch of weight your entire core needs to remain tight.  Keeping a belly full of air helps maintain that tightness (like a balloon or bike tire).  This is why having a lifitng belt on helps, it gives you something to press your stomach against (think of a bike inner tube when it is not inside a tire, it barely holds 20 psi, but in a tire it holds 100+). Exhaling in the bottom would make it easier for his form to go to shit and back to round etc etc.

I'll bet if you pay attention to your breathing patterns in high volume air squats it won't be too dissimilar from what you see TFS doing.

People tend to breath in as they descend and exhale as they rise.  A completely green person might not exhibit this pattern, but a more experienced person will exhibit this even if they haven't been explicitly taught....from my observations.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 09:21:04 AM by Cromacster »

jordanread

« Reply #277 on: January 27, 2017, 09:28:13 AM »

The main issue is when loaded with a bunch of weight your entire core needs to remain tight.  Keeping a belly full of air helps maintain that tightness (like a balloon or bike tire).  This is why having a lifitng belt on helps, it gives you something to press your stomach against (think of a bike inner tube when it is not inside a tire, it barely holds 20 psi, but in a tire it holds 100+). Exhaling in the bottom would make it easier for his form to go to shit and back to round etc etc.

I'll bet if you pay attention to your breathing patterns in high volume air squats it won't be too dissimilar from what you see TFS doing.

People tend to breath in as they descend and exhale as they rise.  A completely green person might not exhibit this pattern, but a more experienced person will exhibit this even if they haven't been explicitly taught....from my observations.

I'm not totally green, but I naturally find myself holding my breath, and have to remember to breathe. It's not something that comes naturally to me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #278 on: January 27, 2017, 09:28:49 AM »

A video on this that I think is well explained: https://youtu.be/PJX1CyjbMic  Interestingly, it's exactly how yoga teaches you to do "full breaths"

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #279 on: January 27, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »

I'm not totally green, but I naturally find myself holding my breath, and have to remember to breathe. It's not something that comes naturally to me.

Haha yea I do the same thing in pushups.  15 reps in "oh shit, take a breath".

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #280 on: January 27, 2017, 09:47:56 AM »

A video on this that I think is well explained: https://youtu.be/PJX1CyjbMic  Interestingly, it's exactly how yoga teaches you to do "full breaths"

If you boil it down to the basics all these different disciplines are studies of body mechanics.  Moving the body in the best and most efficient way.  I always find it cool and interesting when seemingly such different practices (yoga and lifting) arrive at the same conclusion.

It's why my response to whenever someone tells me I should try yoga is to ask them to come lift with me.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 27, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
It's why my response to whenever someone tells me I should try yoga is to ask them to come lift with me.

I just do both =P Not at the same time though. That would probably be difficult.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #282 on: January 27, 2017, 10:34:27 AM »
bridget   
>= 4x/week gym classes - doing great at this, I'm at 7x/week for all but the first couple of days in January. But, I'm starting to get into the habit of ONLY going to yoga classes, instead of challenging myself with stuff I don't like as much.  Next week I will go to at least one spin class and there's also a beginning weight training for women class I should check out.
>= 2x/month hiking - haven't gone in January yet - got rained out last week.  I'll try to go on a short jaunt this weekend (I could technically walk to the entrance to Runyon "Canyon," and can call a walk on the paths a hike).
>= 1 new thing monthly - check, aerial yoga. 
Branch out socially during fitness adventures - haven't done yet, unless you count me attempting to make friendly small talk with people as we roll up our yoga mats.
Reduce bread and cheese intake - was good at this for a couple weeks, but have done a little backsliding.  Several bread-heavy meals this week.
Increase green and orange food intake - doing reasonably well, but could do better (making room on my plate by cutting out the bread and cheese will help).

Other - got a standing desk at work! I'm trying to be mindful of my stance, because the most natural position when I stand is to slouch and put all my weight on one hip or another. Focusing on maintaining a good mountain pose and yoga breathing throughout the day, which legitimately makes me feel less stressed and anxious.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #283 on: January 27, 2017, 10:43:50 AM »
Other - got a standing desk at work! I'm trying to be mindful of my stance, because the most natural position when I stand is to slouch and put all my weight on one hip or another. Focusing on maintaining a good mountain pose and yoga breathing throughout the day, which legitimately makes me feel less stressed and anxious.

I wouldn't be too concerned about trying to maintain mountain pose (had to look it up, it's standing!).  Do focus on keeping your shoulders in a good position and your head in a neutral position.  This requires having your monitors at a proper height, around eye level.

Other than that one of the main benefits of a standing desk is being able to move, shift, lean, squat, lunge, stretch an ankle etc etc.  No need to be a yogabot and maintain a pose.  Freedom of movement is why standing desks are great.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #284 on: January 27, 2017, 11:01:04 AM »
It's mostly to avoid bad posture habits I know I have (like tilting my pelvis forward instead of tucking my tailbone toward the floor for a stacked/straight spine, or hunching my shoulders).  I've been trying to work on my muscle memory on this in general, so I don't want to reinforce those bad habits just because I'm standing.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #285 on: January 27, 2017, 11:41:28 AM »

I wouldn't be too concerned about trying to maintain mountain pose (had to look it up, it's standing!).  Do focus on keeping your shoulders in a good position and your head in a neutral position.  This requires having your monitors at a proper height, around eye level.

Other than that one of the main benefits of a standing desk is being able to move, shift, lean, squat, lunge, stretch an ankle etc etc.  No need to be a yogabot and maintain a pose.  Freedom of movement is why standing desks are great.

I appreciate both sentiments, I would set a timer or remember to check your posture every hour. Reset to a good mountain, including balancing your weight through all of your feet. We tend to shift our weight to our heels which in turn forces weight into the hips and spine, instead shift your weight evenly between the balls of your feet and your heels and engage your quads and core to support you. It's not going to be a 24/7 thing, mountain pose when done correctly is an incredibly active pose, but eventually your weight will start to naturally distribute more evenly and you'll keep your shoulders back and and your chin lifted.

jordanread

« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2017, 11:52:56 AM »
We tend to shift our weight to our heels[...]

I've always known I wasn't normal, but I didn't realize that I even stand abnormally. I think it's probably due to wearing minimalist shoes full time, but I always stand on the balls of my feet. Which is why even when I was at my fattest, I had some rocking calves. I'm please with that realization though.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2017, 07:03:20 PM »
Made some progress on bench today. On my last set of 3+ I hit 160 for 10 reps and probably could have pushed another 2-3 pretty easy (didn't have a spotter so didn't risk it). I always calculate my Estimated Max on my last set to compare if I am getting stronger and it calculated out to a 215 lbs estimated max just 10 lbs shy of my goal (I know its just an estimate but its also still January). Now if I can start kicking the conditioning part of training in the ass I might start getting somewhere.

Dub_the_Builder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2017, 08:11:16 PM »

Great goals man.

About handstands -

Chest to wall is generally accepted as better for building the proper form for a freestanding handstand, I would highly recommend practicing them this way instead of kicking up into a back to wall handstand. Back to wall generally results in an overly extended low back, and not enough shoulder extension. The tradeoff is that the chest to wall handstand is harder to exit.

Highly recommend the tutorial linked below, although I just spent 30 minutes figuring out that you apparently can't embed videos on this forum? :P But anyways good luck in your journey! :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctunmnwbbSI

Thanks for the video. I'm actually comfortable working into a chest to wall handstand and it definitely helps with the alignment. Kicking is more to overcome the fear and get more comfortable with my body. This thread is awesome seeing so many push for bigger goals. Love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #289 on: January 27, 2017, 10:39:25 PM »

Thanks for the video. I'm actually comfortable working into a chest to wall handstand and it definitely helps with the alignment. Kicking is more to overcome the fear and get more comfortable with my body. This thread is awesome seeing so many push for bigger goals. Love it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome! Get after it! I think you can do it, very soon. If you can walk up the wall, you can kick up to the wall. :)

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #290 on: January 29, 2017, 12:15:27 AM »

Things I've worked on:

Thanks for any ideas!

Lots of good ideas mentioned already. I second 'Chi Running', I also got a lot of good suggestions from that book.

If running feels really bad to you, I highly recommend run/walk combination, at least for a while until you're more comfortable running. If you have a watch you can for example run 2 minutes, walk 30 seconds, and repeat, or whatever intervals make it work better. The well-known running coach Jeff Galloway makes a strong argument that it's crucial for people who are just getting into running to begin with run/walk. I think he even advocates for elite marathon runners to take a few walk breaks. See if this convinces you: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/run-walk/
Also don't miss his calculator for suggestions on how much walking would be good for you, based on your speed in a hard one mile run: http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/magic-mile/

Another idea is to try to slow down. Sometimes it can be hard to slow down because it feels like you just have one speed that works for running.  If that's the case,  you can just try experimenting with speeding up and slowing down, playing with different speeds and see if you can figure out a way to run slower that feels comfortable.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2017, 12:59:49 AM »
Quick update to keep myself accountable:

My yoga goal is going very well, I'm ahead of schedule with an average of 4 classes/week in Jan.

Not keeping up so well with bodyweight fitness, I've only done 3 total workouts in Jan, about half of my goal of 1.5x per week average. I was encouraged this week when I was still able to do one set of 8 pullups (3 sets of 8/5/4). When I started doing bodyweight workouts last september I could only do 6, worked up to 8 after a month of consistent training in Oct/Nov, and then I really fell off with my consistency. I assumed I would lose that improvement in my time off, but apparently not as badly as I thought. I also did one set of 8 ring pushups for the first time, after a previous best of 6. Maybe yoga is contributing more to maintaining and improving strength than I thought.

I think I can see some very small flexibility improvements in my forward fold, but it's a bit discouraging how slowly it's changing.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2017, 07:52:35 AM »

My yoga goal is going very well, I'm ahead of schedule with an average of 4 classes/week in Jan.

Not keeping up so well with bodyweight fitness, I've only done 3 total workouts in Jan, about half of my goal of 1.5x per week average. I was encouraged this week when I was still able to do one set of 8 pullups (3 sets of 8/5/4). When I started doing bodyweight workouts last september I could only do 6, worked up to 8 after a month of consistent training in Oct/Nov, and then I really fell off with my consistency. I assumed I would lose that improvement in my time off, but apparently not as badly as I thought. I also did one set of 8 ring pushups for the first time, after a previous best of 6. Maybe yoga is contributing more to maintaining and improving strength than I thought.

I think I can see some very small flexibility improvements in my forward fold, but it's a bit discouraging how slowly it's changing.

This is still great even if you aren't hitting your bodyweight exercise goals. Congrats on the dips record!

If you are doing yoga on your own at home, and that is also where you do your bodyweight training, OR if you are doing it all at the same facility you could pair some BW exercises with yoga. You could do your BW exercises either before or after your yoga routine. I used to love lifting weights and then going straight into the yoga studio for a class to cool down/stretch/relax.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2017, 08:02:42 AM »
V-Sit to Handstand is slowly getting there! I've been practicing handstands and this particular move with more consistency this month and it is paying off. I would estimate I do handstands 3x week for 5-10 minutes as a warm-up before I lift.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BP0kJs9Dsof/?taken-by=skinnin_kinnon

The goal is to have this ready to bring to an outdoor park with parallel bars by Summer 2017.
Here's a look back to a couple of years ago when I was first playing around with this move:

https://www.instagram.com/p/8Ej7ZuxrKL/?taken-by=skinnin_kinnon

Baby steps of progression! lol

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2017, 10:02:19 AM »
V-Sit to Handstand is slowly getting there! I've been practicing handstands and this particular move with more consistency this month and it is paying off. I would estimate I do handstands 3x week for 5-10 minutes as a warm-up before I lift.

The goal is to have this ready to bring to an outdoor park with parallel bars by Summer 2017.
Here's a look back to a couple of years ago when I was first playing around with this move:

That's awesome dude, I've been wanting to learn this move too. I see that trying it against the wall from an elevated surface, as you are doing, needs to be my focus. I was trying it on the floor and freestanding and can almost stick it, or rather I can stick it for a second at the top before I lose my balance, but I crane my neck so hard avoiding smashing my face into the floor that it feels injurious on my neck. Paralettes would be better, as would the wall.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2017, 12:44:47 PM »

That's awesome dude, I've been wanting to learn this move too. I see that trying it against the wall from an elevated surface, as you are doing, needs to be my focus. I was trying it on the floor and freestanding and can almost stick it, or rather I can stick it for a second at the top before I lose my balance, but I crane my neck so hard avoiding smashing my face into the floor that it feels injurious on my neck. Paralettes would be better, as would the wall.

Cool. I've seen people using dumbbells as well in lieu of parallel bars. As long as they have flat heads and won't rock or tip over.

I can't do it on the floor. Don't have the strength to transition from V-sit into handstand because my feet won't pass through. I guess I haven't figured out how to hold my body up high enough. I wish I could!

Yeah against a wall is the only place I feel comfortable. I'm scared my feet will go too far and I'll tip over and land on my back. lol

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2017, 02:23:37 PM »

Cool. I've seen people using dumbbells as well in lieu of parallel bars. As long as they have flat heads and won't rock or tip over.

I can't do it on the floor. Don't have the strength to transition from V-sit into handstand because my feet won't pass through. I guess I haven't figured out how to hold my body up high enough. I wish I could!

Yeah against a wall is the only place I feel comfortable. I'm scared my feet will go too far and I'll tip over and land on my back. lol

My experience is that you will automatically land in a bridge. The foot pass-through has more to do with your arm length in relation to your torso than strength - I've got long arms which makes it easier. I'm certainly nowhere near as strong as you.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: January 29, 2017, 06:16:14 PM »
Managed to grab enough time to do a 100km ride over the four day weekend.

Was fine up to 75kms, then started hitting a wall and by 82kms I was gone.  Struggled the rest of the way home but managed to complete my ride and nab the 100kms (101.6kms to be exact).  All the things were sore.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2017, 01:47:21 AM »

This is still great even if you aren't hitting your bodyweight exercise goals. Congrats on the dips record!

If you are doing yoga on your own at home, and that is also where you do your bodyweight training, OR if you are doing it all at the same facility you could pair some BW exercises with yoga. You could do your BW exercises either before or after your yoga routine. I used to love lifting weights and then going straight into the yoga studio for a class to cool down/stretch/relax.

Thanks for the encouragement and suggestion. I do yoga at a studio a few blocks from my apartment, and I do bodyweight in my apartment. I've thought about doing yoga first and then bodyweight immediately after as a way to save time. I think I could safely skip most of my bodyweight warmup routine if I did it after yoga, which could cut about 20 minutes.

Very impressive, and nice progress from your early attempts! This looks like something I'd like to try in a year or two if I progress well.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2017, 08:19:27 AM »
Was sick at the end of last week, only got in 4 days of working out, unfortunately, and broke my month-long streak of hour daily workouts. Back on the wagon this week (5:30AM circuit class), with the goal of going to the gym every day in February.

I really think I need to invest in some handles for push-ups/downward dogs/handstands & a stretching band for splits - both things I need to use (shit wrists) that my gym doesn't have. I hate spending money on something that I feel my gym should have, but the handles would benefit me both at yoga class (at a different gym) and, frankly, my knuckles are starting to get wicked calluses (and not in a good way) from doing push ups on them.

I've asked my MegaGym to get some handles about 7 weeks ago, not have appeared. Unfortunately the hand weights at the gym are not stable (they roll) so they don't work for using as handles.

I guess I should just consider the expense an investment in reaching my goals (100 pushups and the full splits) but I hate spending the money. Also I end up researching the fuck out of the options and get caught in a shame spiral about spending $15 on something.