Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172651 times)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #200 on: January 20, 2017, 12:44:28 PM »
Mirrors for our homegym are an eventual 'very nice to have'. Especially for lifting, it is SO nice to be able to check your own form without playing the phone recording game, lol.
It was a dream (and coincidentally the year I finally made junior nationals) when I finally got to train in an elite figure skating rink that had mirrors lining the walls (and a ballet barre). Checking form & working on port de bra was so much easier. The best you usually get in a shared hockey/figure skating rink is some mirrors far away behind the penalty boxes, hard to check form.

Granted, figure skating isn't quite the same as step aerobics as far as emphasis put on aesthetic line.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 12:47:25 PM by monstermonster »

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #201 on: January 20, 2017, 03:14:21 PM »

I cannot explain how awesome it is that other people are using the term mirror lust.

It's a super useful phrase, I'm so glad I found it here!

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #202 on: January 21, 2017, 02:30:27 PM »
Tried my first "new thing" this morning - here to report that aerial yoga is super fun and a hard workout! My arms are gonna be sore tomorrow. In other good news, it's part of classpass in my area, which is currently 70% off - so I can go a few more times on the cheap, and still try some other new activities.

jordanread

« Reply #203 on: January 21, 2017, 02:32:41 PM »
One day I will try that. Not today though. Awesome that is a good workout.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #204 on: January 22, 2017, 08:03:29 AM »
Tried my first "new thing" this morning - here to report that aerial yoga is super fun and a hard workout! My arms are gonna be sore tomorrow. In other good news, it's part of classpass in my area, which is currently 70% off - so I can go a few more times on the cheap, and still try some other new activities.

Very cool! Will you take an aerials class some day?

Update: Because I am shit at math and didn't bother to do a kg to lb conversion I ended up getting an unexpected bench press PR a couple days ago. I did 242 lbs for 2 paused reps which is a rep PR. Not that I didn't have the strength in the past, but have always just done singles for anything above 235 lbs.

Also dealing with some shoulder and pec soreness/tightness. Have been rolling it out but it will likely be giving me troubles for the next few months. I've had this same injury many times before.

Low back is also quite angry with squatting heavier and more often, and the few deadlift sessions I've had. I DL'd 350 for a single last week (previous best DL a couple years back was 451). Will ease off for a few days and go for a heavy squat on Wednesday or Thursday, about 300lbs.

Weighed myself a few days ago at 155 lbs which is a bit light for me.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #205 on: January 22, 2017, 08:50:25 AM »
bridget,

If anybody ever finds me in a position like that they better be getting down lol. That looks like fun though

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #206 on: January 22, 2017, 09:46:56 AM »
One of my fitness goals for the year is "join the S&F thread".  Three weeks late, but I'm here.  I did my starting measurements and photo yesterday, but I don't plan to post them.

I'm new to this, and not sure how to articulate my goals or make plans to achieve them.  Here's a few to start:

Lose 2" in waist1
Lose 2" in hips1
Increase flexibility in hips2
Do lower back PT exercises 5x/week3
Bike to work 26 times this year4
Walk or other cardio (swimming, other cycling, etc) at least 3x/ week

1 This isn't going to happen without a specific plan, which I don't have yet.  Right now it's "hope my other goals will help with these", but that's not likely enough.  Open to suggestions.  I'm sure I need some strength training to change muscle-fat proportions.  This should be bodyweight exercises as I don't want to join a gym or buy stuff I may not use.  Good training plans to follow for someone starting out from nothing?

2 I'm seeking suggestions on how to do this.  I'm an avid kayaker, but it is increasingly difficult to contort my body to fit in my boat, mainly because I can't get my hips to open up into the proper position.

3 Had a couple of herniated disks a few years ago.  The at-home exercises from the PT were great for increasing core strength, relieving stress on my lower back.  I haven't been diligent about doing them lately, and need to make this part of a regular routine again.

4 I used to bike to work semi-regularly, then I stopped because [excuses].  Some of those reasons are no longer relevant, so I want to make this a habit again.  26 days is about 1/5 of the days I plan to go to the office this year.

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 22, 2017, 10:57:49 AM »
Look at that, knocked out one of your goals already :)
I'd say I set myself up with an easy one to start, but it still took me three weeks to get here!

This one has been tossed around on here and my wife and I did it a few years ago -

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

Good luck getting going and hitting your goals!

Thanks for the link.  That looks like something reasonable to start with.  He recommends intervals for non-bodyweight days, which should be good for me also.

Kayaking sounds fun, where have you done it in the area?

On the Potomac, of course! ;)  More specifically, Little Falls is my favorite local run.  Not in the area, but most recently, on Rio Pacuare in Costa Rica.

Dub_the_Builder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #208 on: January 22, 2017, 11:22:58 AM »

Obviously, this is not an uncommon thing, as I believe it's the root of this discussion about fitness gear, but a new thing for me to try.

Agreed that being in fitness gear helps with the routine. If you don't work out at home, I also do WAY better if I pack my gym bag in the evenings (I usually work out during lunch) so I have no reason not to grab it on the way out the door in the mornings, even if I'm running late. I've also started packing two complete sets of gym clothes in there in case I get ambitious and also want to hit the gym in the evening after work (which has happened once or twice, and it feels great!). If I don't, my bag is just pre-packed for the next day after I pull the sweaty set out.

As much as one CAN exercise on the cheap, I find that a flattering set of workout gear (doesn't have to be fancy or new, just something that looks good on me right now, not later when I'm in better shape) can really increase my mirror lust, which in turn increases my motivation/drive. When I catch a glimpse of myself in the mirror at spin looking gooooooood, I kick up the intensity, haha.

I cannot explain how awesome it is that other people are using the term mirror lust. I'm probably going to write a bit about my viewpoint when it comes to working out, but in short, I love the idea of minimalist working out. No gym for me, but I do know that's why they have mirrors there. :)

Mirrors for our homegym are an eventual 'very nice to have'. Especially for lifting, it is SO nice to be able to check your own form without playing the phone recording game, lol.

I've had a home gym for a little over a year now. About 3 months ago my wife found a guy giving away 2 4x6' mirrors that he removed during bathroom renovations. The instant feedback has been great. I naturally have terrible posture so it is a constant reminder to keep my back straight or knees out so that I can stay injury free.

jordanread

« Reply #209 on: January 22, 2017, 11:28:48 AM »

Update: Because I am shit at math and didn't bother to do a kg to lb conversion I ended up getting an unexpected bench press PR a couple days ago. I did 242 lbs for 2 paused reps which is a rep PR. Not that I didn't have the strength in the past, but have always just done singles for anything above 235 lbs.

Also dealing with some shoulder and pec soreness/tightness. Have been rolling it out but it will likely be giving me troubles for the next few months. I've had this same injury many times before.

Low back is also quite angry with squatting heavier and more often, and the few deadlift sessions I've had. I DL'd 350 for a single last week (previous best DL a couple years back was 451). Will ease off for a few days and go for a heavy squat on Wednesday or Thursday, about 300lbs.

Bear in mind I don't do this, but I was under the impression that doing deadlifts with proper form normally doesn't tweak the back, you just can't lift it. Am I mistaken?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #210 on: January 22, 2017, 11:48:33 AM »

Bear in mind I don't do this, but I was under the impression that doing deadlifts with proper form normally doesn't tweak the back, you just can't lift it. Am I mistaken?

Well yes and no. If you are lifting too heavy it's definitely possible to strain the lower back by starting to round it before realizing you shouldn't keep trying. This is why I always recommend beginners err on the side of dropping the bar over grinding until they have a strong feel for what kind of pull should be grinded. Also, even a well executed deadlift works the muscles in the lower back and if you have preexisting issues, could feasibly exacerbate them. Alternatively, a weakened lower back might lead to improper form as you try to compensate. But broadly stated: yes, deadlifting is safe for the lower back.

Personally, I find heavy squatting to be much harder on the lower back than the deadlift. If you have lower back issues and can find a belt squat machine, I highly recommend that alternative for at least one squat day/week.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #211 on: January 22, 2017, 02:35:46 PM »

Well yes and no. If you are lifting too heavy it's definitely possible to strain the lower back by starting to round it before realizing you shouldn't keep trying. This is why I always recommend beginners err on the side of dropping the bar over grinding until they have a strong feel for what kind of pull should be grinded. Also, even a well executed deadlift works the muscles in the lower back and if you have preexisting issues, could feasibly exacerbate them. Alternatively, a weakened lower back might lead to improper form as you try to compensate. But broadly stated: yes, deadlifting is safe for the lower back.

Personally, I find heavy squatting to be much harder on the lower back than the deadlift. If you have lower back issues and can find a belt squat machine, I highly recommend that alternative for at least one squat day/week.

Deadlifts don't inherently cause problems, no. Most people can do deadlifts without any issues. But when you get up lifting very heavy even minor issues with form can cause problems. I guess to put it in context I used to deadlift 2.5-2.75 x my bodyweight a couple times a week. Also a lot of heavy squatting as well, which does irritate my back, but not to the extent that DLs do.

I had low back issues from childhood. I was a competitive freestyle skier so that position of being hunched over doing moguls caused pain as well. I went to my first chiropractor at age 12!!!

For me though, I sustained a herniated disc a few years ago (L5-S1). It was during a time I was a competing in powerlifting and training too hard and too often (sometimes twice a day). It has never really healed properly. Mostly because I am not willing to give up lifting to allow it to fully heal. I have done a shit ton of physio, chiro, and rehab exercises. Nothing really works except backing off the weights and trying to listen to my body more.  There is a lot of swelling in the soft tissues around my spine (all the muscles around the disc injury are swollen to protect my spine from further injury)..... It isn't getting any worse which is good, but it doesn't get any better either.

Over the years I have just learned to live with it, and I have figured out that doing heavy-ish weights at low reps (1-3) is much better than doing moderate weight for 4-8 reps.

I do really really really miss competing in powerlifting. :(

I would like a back transplant, plz. LOL

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #212 on: January 22, 2017, 02:38:31 PM »
I ran 5 miles yesterday, which is the longest run I've ever done. It was a six mile loop and I walked the last mile. I walked the whole loop today. I also went in the ocean and did a couple 400 ish yard swims in open choppy water.

I've been terrified of open water swimming and wigged out at my first triathlon last year. I am currently on vacation in Florida and the yellow flags are up. Water is choppy and it is windy out. I asked at the lifeguard stand if it was safe for me to swim out and swim down to the next stand. The lifeguard was just going on break and said he would swim with me 😀.  So not only did I get to do the swim I got a cute personal lifeguard to go with me. 💕😜

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #213 on: January 22, 2017, 07:06:09 PM »
I ran 5 miles yesterday, which is the longest run I've ever done. It was a six mile loop and I walked the last mile. I walked the whole loop today. I also went in the ocean and did a couple 400 ish yard swims in open choppy water.

I've been terrified of open water swimming and wigged out at my first triathlon last year. I am currently on vacation in Florida and the yellow flags are up. Water is choppy and it is windy out. I asked at the lifeguard stand if it was safe for me to swim out and swim down to the next stand. The lifeguard was just going on break and said he would swim with me 😀.  So not only did I get to do the swim I got a cute personal lifeguard to go with me. 💕😜

Ooooh, I like your training schedule! Haha.

Today went on my first hike of the year! Wasn't sure how I would do, and it was a ROUGH start- deep enough mud it ripped one shoe off =o Very technical getting past that part, but it cleared up later. A total of 7.4 miles, and it took 3 hours. 1283 ft elevation gain, 2.89mph ave moving speed. Way better than I thought it would go! (We use an app called 'geotracker' on my DH's android, we've been really happy with it. There are some crap quality ones out there, but this one has been great).

NICE!

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #214 on: January 22, 2017, 10:56:44 PM »
I'm back...been here before and have done the constant yo-yo thing after my early 20s. I'd like to drop some weight and cut that out.

I need to hop on a scale, but I'm thinking I'm around 195 lbs (5 ft 9) and my body fat is somewhere in the 20s. Once I return home from a business trip, I'm going to start fasting on Mondays and try paleo for a month (with exceptions for some beer consumption). As for fitness, I keep not getting that act together, so I'm going to go super simple with this. I'm going to do the 100 pushups plan, 150 squats plan, and cardio 3x/week. After those become habits, I will work back into a more regimented schedule.

Goals:
- weight 180 lbs or less
- cardio 3x/week minimum
- strength training consistency (pushups plan & squats plan every week)

jordanread

« Reply #215 on: January 23, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »
Cherry Lane and NICE!, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #216 on: January 23, 2017, 07:55:44 AM »
I did 5 structured workouts last week, PLUS I also managed 6 yoga sessions (these were shorter, usually between 20-30 minutes).

I feel like I need a little more focus and structure, so today I took measurements and calculated body fat - 35%. Ugh. Goal is to reach 25% body fat. I'm going to try to not get focused on weight as much as body fat.

I will be snowbirding for six weeks, some of that on the road, most if it in one place, but without any access to a gym (but GREAT hiking). So, I'm getting a little more specific, I'm aiming for 3 strength training sessions a week (bodyweight exercises that don't require any equipment) and 2 HIIT sessions a week, along with as much hiking as I can possibly fit in while I still work my full time job. I'm hoping to be halfway to my target by the end of the six weeks, although that might be a bit agressive.

(sidenote: I realized that since I put myself back in the dating pool, I have gained almost 10 pounds, been eating like crap, and my drinking has gone up. I am clearly doing some stress eating/stress drinking and need to re-evaluate if I really want to be dating. WHY IS THIS SO STRESSFUL? I hate dating in my 40s...)

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #217 on: January 23, 2017, 11:35:05 AM »
Bad news, Jordan: I've decided not to do the Choose Your Own Adventure thing. I was having fun with the idea, but it got more complicated the more I thought about how to make it work, and it was going to take mental and creative energy that I need for other projects. After January I'll just set up a workout schedule for myself.

The good news is I'm keeping up 100% with Yoga Revolution, despite doing things like walking several miles on Saturday. Further good news is that I did all that walking without hurting myself.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #218 on: January 23, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »
Completed another open water swim today. The water was a lot calmer and I was less anxious. Swam about 1200 yards, half with and half against the current. Sadly no cute lifeguard offered to swim with me today. It is cold by south Florida standards so I had the water entirely to myself. At home I swim in an outdoor heated pool all year, so breezy and 75 degrees feels like a piece of cake. Water temp is great too. This is my farthest open water swim to date. 😀
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:32:09 PM by MsPeacock »

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #219 on: January 23, 2017, 04:29:53 PM »
Cherry Lane and NICE!, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet.

Thanks, jordanread!  I didn't expect you to add "join S&F thread" to my actual goals, but it is nice to see it crossed off up there.'

Today I tried the bodyweight workout LWTG recommended from nerdfitness.  I'm more out of shape than I realized!  When did I lose the ability to do pushups?  Probably sometime in the 5 years since I was last required to do them.  All those squats and lunges make me wonder if my knees are going to function tomorrow.  I may need to look for alternate exercises with less stress on the knees.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #220 on: January 23, 2017, 07:30:47 PM »
cherry lane,

I here you on the knee thing lol. the past 3 months I have been trying to do 3 total body workouts a week. One day the main lifts would be squats and bench the next day would be deadlifts and OHP. Although my knee never hurt it would start feeling tight towards the end of the week. My new workout plan (5/3/1) is 4 days a week (Monday OHP, Tuesday deadlift, Thursday bench, Friday Squat). I am only two weeks into it but my knee is feeling a lot better giving it the extra recovery time. Just something to think about.... It could also be the fact that its quite a bit warmer outside the last couple weeks so YMMV.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #221 on: January 23, 2017, 09:00:54 PM »
After a pretty shit 2016 due to breaking a collarbone while racing MTB in April and packing on 9kgs of weight while not being able to do anything while it healed (eventually got surgery in November) I'm now back on the bike.

My challenge for this year is to ride more days than not in 2017.  Be nice to get back down to race weight too.

So far according to Veloviewer I have ridden 16 out of 23 days and covered over 800kms so far this year.  I can and do commute to work on bike, it's anywhere from 19.5 to 35kms one way depending on which route I choose to take.  I generally do 26kms each way as it's the safest and most time effective route.

Haven't dropped much in the way of weight but according to my scales my body fat has dropped 1.5%  Could be a conversion of fat to muscle, must keep an eye on the muscle mass part of the scale, but my Fitbit app doesn't have a place to record that so I don't know what the history of it is.

I'm also up for challenging myself to do the Strava Gran Fondos again.  I did this back in 2014 and was one of only 9 people in the world to complete all 12 Gran Fondos, got a badge to proove it :) 

So I'm on the bike this Friday (an annual leave day) for a 100km+ ride.  And next month I'm getting back onto the dirt.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 10:52:50 PM by GT »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #222 on: January 24, 2017, 01:02:11 AM »
I ran a PB on Saturday at my local ParkRun. Definitely felt like I had a little bit left - could have run a bit harder a bit earlier, instead of just the last 200m.

Nonetheless still happy :)

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #223 on: January 24, 2017, 08:42:01 AM »
Welcome to the 3rd Annual Strength & Fitness Gauntlet, for 2017!

I'm in. My goals for 2017-

Climb 5000 V-points worth of boulders. (Each day bouldering, keep score. V1 = 1 point. V2 = 2 points. 2xV1 = 2 points. Etc...)
Travel 2000 miles on foot. (running, walking, steps at work all count)
Travel 2000 miles by bike. (commuting, mountain biking, road biking all count)
Bench press my body weight for three sets of five
Press 75% of my body weight for three sets of five
Squat 150% of my body weight for three sets of five
Deadlift 200% of my body weight for one set of five
Power clean 90% of body weight for five sets of three
Complete 15 minutes of mobility work every day

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: January 24, 2017, 08:46:20 AM »
Jordan, if you haven't already, pick up the latest issue of California Climber magazine. You can get it free at any gear shop in Cali and I think can order it for free online. My friend Maxwell Sterling Silver wrote an amazing article in there about highlining. Those guys are really pushing the envelope of what is possible with a slackline. It's mind blowing.

ETA: Like this one:

ETA: not my photo
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 08:58:38 AM by headwinds »

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #225 on: January 24, 2017, 08:58:11 AM »
Thanks for doing this again.
Will re-enter my 2016 goals, slightly modified:
4million steps
5000 pullups
12000 pushups
lots of bouldering
climb at the V5 level consistently and V6 level occasionally
lose ~10 lbs of fat (<15% body fat)
complete a bar muscle up
achieve one arm pull up

Good goals my friend. Come to Bishop and I will show you more V5's and V6's than you can shake a stick at! Like this one:

Fly Boy - v6 - climber:Caitlyn - photog:headwinds

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #226 on: January 24, 2017, 09:03:40 AM »
I did however just buzz my head, stomach, and chest hair, so I guess I will probably be hairier the next time I post a pic. Hair gains :P

You get that physique just from powerlifting? You don't look like the image of the strong fat powerlifter I have in my brain. What kind of diet do you follow? Just curious, i'd love to have that level of leanness and muscularity.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #227 on: January 24, 2017, 10:29:38 AM »
I did however just buzz my head, stomach, and chest hair, so I guess I will probably be hairier the next time I post a pic. Hair gains :P

You get that physique just from powerlifting? You don't look like the image of the strong fat powerlifter I have in my brain. What kind of diet do you follow? Just curious, i'd love to have that level of leanness and muscularity.

TFS does indeed have a great physique and I imagine diet is the main reason, although powerlifting definitely helps build muscle.

The "fat" powerlifters are generally either world-class elite (and even some of them are fairly lean), or just lazy (and/or indifferent) amateurs. The quickest way to get strong is to lift heavy and eat big. No calorie counting or fretting about the waistline allowed. It's pretty hard to maximize strength gains while staying super lean, but if you want to get big, and more importantly, dense (most lean-ish powerlifters I know weigh 10-15% more than most would guess), powerlifting is the best game in town, imo. Diet can always lean you out once a desired size is reached, as long as you don't get too chubby and mess up your metabolism.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #228 on: January 24, 2017, 10:55:10 AM »

TFS does indeed have a great physique and I imagine diet is the main reason, although powerlifting definitely helps build muscle.

The "fat" powerlifters are generally either world-class elite (and even some of them are fairly lean), or just lazy (and/or indifferent) amateurs. The quickest way to get strong is to lift heavy and eat big. No calorie counting or fretting about the waistline allowed. It's pretty hard to maximize strength gains while staying super lean, but if you want to get big, and more importantly, dense (most lean-ish powerlifters I know weigh 10-15% more than most would guess), powerlifting is the best game in town, imo. Diet can always lean you out once a desired size is reached, as long as you don't get too chubby and mess up your metabolism.

Which is why you get so many people alternating a "dirty bulk" then a "clean lean". Personally, I think it's short-sighted on the long term health impact, but overall health isn't the goal for a lot of people. Performance is.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #229 on: January 24, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
Fatty powerlifter/strongman here.

Fine, fine. I have to show off my trap development

Last year I was on track to hit my goals, then tragedy. I tore some soft tissue in my forearm, had a minor tear in a pec, and aggravated an old injury in my right trap.

So, forgetting those, here are this year's goals. I'm hoping to blow them out of the water

Bodyweight: 265

Squat: 550
Bench: 405
Deadlift: 650

315 Overhead on an axle and a log
400 stone to a 52" platform

No injuries

Lets see what happens.

jordanread

« Reply #230 on: January 24, 2017, 01:13:18 PM »

Thanks, jordanread!  I didn't expect you to add "join S&F thread" to my actual goals, but it is nice to see it crossed off up there.'

Starting with a win is a good way to start. :D

My challenge for this year is to ride more days than not in 2017.  Be nice to get back down to race weight too.

GT, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. That is a pretty awesome award. I didn't bother googling it, but is that based strictly on distance, or something else?

Headwinds, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet.

No injuries

Brute, I was hoping you'd jump in here. Fortuitous timing with this discussion. I think I've got your goals correctly added to the participant tracking post. You may want to double check, just to make sure that I got them down correctly.

Which is why you get so many people alternating a "dirty bulk" then a "clean lean". Personally, I think it's short-sighted on the long term health impact, but overall health isn't the goal for a lot of people. Performance is.

I do wonder if a there is such a thing as a "clean bulk". I know it would most certainly take longer, but I'm curious if that's a thing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #231 on: January 24, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »

I do wonder if a there is such a thing as a "clean bulk". I know it would most certainly take longer, but I'm curious if that's a thing.

There are indeed clean bulks:
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/the-clean-bulk-a-new-approach-to-adding-offseason-muscle.html
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/top-10-rules-successful-clean-bulking.html
http://www.muscleandfitness.com/nutrition/gain-mass/add-muscle-subtract-fat-clean-bulk-works

Like you guessed, it seems the main downside is that they tend to be slower. It seems like they're most useful for preserving mass rather than truly gaining a lot.

Definitely not my area of expertise though, as I don't do any of this. I just know it peripherally because of listening to Barbell Shrugged and similar with DH.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #232 on: January 24, 2017, 01:34:01 PM »

Starting with a win is a good way to start. :D

GT, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. That is a pretty awesome award. I didn't bother googling it, but is that based strictly on distance, or something else?

Headwinds, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet.

No injuries

Brute, I was hoping you'd jump in here. Fortuitous timing with this discussion. I think I've got your goals correctly added to the participant tracking post. You may want to double check, just to make sure that I got them down correctly.

Looks good.

My thoughts on clean/dirty bulking:

I've been in this game a while now, and I've seen what people say they do, and what they actually do. The giants with abs and 900 pound deadlifts don't get that way eating very clean. You can't get in enough calories. They're also supplementing* in ways that aren't allowed in certain countries. With enough of the right stuff, you can be pretty stupid with your food and look ridiculously good. Downside, your heart will explode (ok, maybe not that bad every time, but I personally know people who have died from poor choices with food, supplements, and how much mass they were carrying)

A normal (aka non-supplemented) person doing a dirty bulk is a recipe for physique disaster unless that person has a VERY hard time gaining weight. I've only seen it work well once, and the kid I was training hadn't been able to get over 130 pounds for years. Throw in some peanut butter, ice cream, and an extra burrito at lunch and he hit 150 in 6 months. Guy just couldn't get in enough calories otherwise.

Clean bulks take forever. Story time. In 2008, I weighed 360 (maybe 380, the scale didn't go over 360). I dropped down to 215 in about 11 months. Then I found the gym. I added about 5 pounds of muscle in about 3 months. Sort of depressing. So I started a clean bulk. Over the next 2 year, I gained another 30 pounds of muscle and only a couple pounds of fat. Gains seemed slow, but were pretty quick all in all.  So why am I so fat? I had been in a relationship with a girl for 7 years, then things fell apart when I lost my job. No money coming in, she checked out. I turned to food for comfort. I got strong as all hell, but fat again.

So rather than just drop weight again and lose strength, I tried recomping. Not an easy thing without supplementation. I've traded about 15 pounds of fat for muscle over the past 4 years. My bloodwork is legendary (did I mention I used to be type II diabetic?). Turns out with the kind of exercise I do, I can get away with eating like a moron. But now I'm tired of being fat. So, heading for 265 it is. That should put me around 12-15% bf. I may decide to keep going, but I like being strong too. Still, I can't lift anything if I'm dead, so time to drop the weight before it becomes a problem again. Low carb, high protein, high fat will be the approach. I love veggies of all kinds, so that helps. If I can curb the impulse to binge eat, I'm set. (That could be a solid 5 years in therapy there, but it's not as easy for me as it sounds).

*I think you know the gear supplements I'm talking about.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 24, 2017, 01:53:46 PM »
Totally agree with brute, although I'll add that I think there are probably more people than you might guess who more or less require a dirty bulk approach (I would presume most ectomorphs fall into this category), they just don't tend to get into powerlifting.

As an ectomorph myself, and a former crossfitter, I was stuck around 180-185 (at 6'4") for two years before I exploded my calorie count well beyond what I had previously considered reasonable. The result? Sitting at a lean-ish 220lbs 22 months later, which is insane progress compared to what I had experienced before. I would need to lose maybe 10-15lbs to get to the six pack stage but no one would call me chubby as I am now.

That said, there are plenty of mesos/endos at my gym and the ones that adopt the "I'm bulking so I can eat as much as I want and whatever I want" approach are pretty much all quite tubby.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 24, 2017, 02:25:27 PM »
Strongman competitors have always fascinated me.  The strongest men on earth and most of them carry around alot ofextra weight.  The one exception might be Hapfor (The Mountain for GoT peeps).  He always looks pretty lean (for weighing nearly 400lbs that is).  Zydrunas Savickas is one crazy example.  One of the best strongmen currently, though I hear he might be retiring.

This picture shows him in strongman season and a current picture.  It might just be because he is retired, but I've seen other dramatic pictures like this of strongmen but I can't seem to find them.  From what I've seen and read strongmen don't bulk clean either.  But it's a bit different when your goal is to be strong AF and as Brute said all the...uuhh supplements.

GT

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: January 24, 2017, 03:19:13 PM »

It's an award for completing all 12 Gran Fondos in the year, one a month, which varied in distance from 100 to 160kms in length.  Basically register each month, go ride for the prescribed distance in one ride in that month, ride could be as flat as a tack along a waterfront or up and down in the Pyrennes, it's up to the rider to decide.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #236 on: January 24, 2017, 06:01:40 PM »
33 day streak of working out every day, 23 day streak of going to the gym - but I don't wanna go tonight - I have work and projects I want to finish up instead! Help motivate me. Could go to hot yoga in 30 minutes, but hands are inflamed today so I'm not another day in a row of hot yoga is best. Argh. Maybe as long as I make it to the gym, and do something active for 30 minutes, I can call it good.

jordanread

« Reply #237 on: January 24, 2017, 06:05:18 PM »
33 day streak of working out every day, 23 day streak of going to the gym - but I don't wanna go tonight - I have work and projects I want to finish up instead! Help motivate me. Could go to hot yoga in 30 minutes, but hands are inflamed today so I'm not another day in a row of hot yoga is best. Argh. Maybe as long as I make it to the gym, and do something active for 30 minutes, I can call it good.
Step one. GET YOUR ASS TO THE GYM! Consider it your reward for getting your zine done. You've earned it.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #238 on: January 24, 2017, 06:06:38 PM »
Step one. GET YOUR ASS TO THE GYM! Consider it your reward for getting your zine done. You've earned it.
I gotta assemble them all now and mail them! That's what I want to do instead of the gym.

Also I'm on deadline at work!

jordanread

« Reply #239 on: January 24, 2017, 06:08:58 PM »
I gotta assemble them all now and mail them! That's what I want to do instead of the gym.

Also I'm on deadline at work!
Oh. In that case, the gym is both a reward for finishing, and a warm up for assembling. Everyone knows that assembling zines without warming up properly at the gym can result in some very serious injuries.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #240 on: January 24, 2017, 06:10:16 PM »
Oh. In that case, the gym is both a reward for finishing, and a warm up for assembling. Everyone knows that assembling zines without warming up properly at the gym can result in some very serious injuries.
Very true. That's why you see all the crustpunk zinesters outside Kinkos doing burpees.

jordanread

« Reply #241 on: January 24, 2017, 06:11:03 PM »
Very true. That's why you see all the crustpunk zinesters outside Kinkos doing burpees.
I may have saved your life. You are welcome. Now get there!

Cherry Lane

• CM*MW 2023 Attendees
  • Handlebar Stache
« Reply #242 on: January 24, 2017, 06:12:59 PM »

You go to the gym and I'll do the PT I've been putting off for the last several hours.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #243 on: January 24, 2017, 07:36:37 PM »
Just start!  Don't worry about a goal of finishing "X" amount.  I felt like shit today just coming back from a convention for work (won't miss those when FIRE), but I started my normal workout...didn't finish, but 3/4 of a workout is way better than sitting on my ass all day.  I actually felt like I'd be lucky to do 1/4, but I've found that the hardest part is often starting and I can always do more than I think I can regardless of any issues.

If no time for Gym then do some of those burpees you mentioned or other home workout (pushups, squats, etc).  Anything is better than nothing.

Related to PT...after ~6 months of daily stretching I finally got my shoulder good enough to start some chin-ups again.  Was it frustrating/time consuming...yes, but improvement wasn't happening on it's own. 

Now both of you (and anyone else stuck for motivatin) go DO something:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQ4yd2W50No

headwinds

• Stubble
« Reply #244 on: January 24, 2017, 10:35:17 PM »
Buddy Nick getting after it today with me at the home gym on the Sheep problem, v5ish

« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 10:36:54 PM by headwinds »

Maverick44

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #245 on: January 25, 2017, 09:48:49 AM »
Posting here for some accountability.  I've been doing okay on my 2017 goals so far and I love seeing everyone else's goals here so I thought I'd join in.  For some context: I'm a 27 yo female, who works a desk job that I love (other than the sitting all day part), but I'm also a Krav Maga instructor and I want to try and get myself into better physical condition so that I can train harder and be a better instructor.

Physical goals:
 - Pass the next level of instructor certification testing that I'll be taking in May
 - Get down to 135lbs by my wedding in August (current weight is 153lbs)
 - Establish a running habit of 3x/week (currently a spontaneous runner, approx. 1/week)
 - Get my 5K time down to 27 minutes
 - Stretch daily to improve the range of my kicks

Lifestyle goals:
 - Lower my carb intake to only/mostly having complex cards (I have a bread tooth.. I'm not sure if that's a thing, but I'm inventing it now)
 - Less screen time (This will be the hardest I'm sure of it)
 - More hiking. (Went about 20 times last year and want to increase this to 30)

I'm going to try and post an update to keep myself accountable every other week. Good luck to everyone else on their journeys as well! Here we go!

jordanread

« Reply #246 on: January 25, 2017, 10:08:36 AM »
Maverick, I've got you added to the participant tracking post.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #247 on: January 25, 2017, 11:49:11 AM »
Buddy Nick getting after it today with me at the home gym on the Sheep problem, v5ish

That's at your house?! I wish we were neighbors.

renata ricotta

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #248 on: January 25, 2017, 11:50:23 AM »
Posting here for some accountability.  I've been doing okay on my 2017 goals so far and I love seeing everyone else's goals here so I thought I'd join in.  For some context: I'm a 27 yo female, who works a desk job that I love (other than the sitting all day part), but I'm also a Krav Maga instructor and I want to try and get myself into better physical condition so that I can train harder and be a better instructor.

Cool! Krav Maga or something similar is one of the things I might incorporate into my "try new things" goal, but I'm weirdly a little intimidated by self-defense type exercise, as I've never done it before. What are beginner classes like, in your experience?

Jakejake

• Pencil Stache
  • FIRE: June 17, 2016
« Reply #249 on: January 25, 2017, 02:25:58 PM »
52 year old female reporting for duty!

Goals:
* Work out (cardio and/or weights) and log it, daily.  I tried this when I retired last summer, only to be derailed almost immediately when I had to leave town for a month to help my parents with a medical crisis - and when I returned, the habit was gone. So far, since Jan 1, I've been successful.

* Biking: 4,000 miles with at least one 55 mile ride. I biked 3880 miles last year and did a 53 mile ride - my first time breaking 50.

* Get to 100 kettlebell swings a day with minimum 25lb. I started with 20 swings on Jan 1, adding at least one swing per day; I'm at 47 today.

* 5 chinups. Started Jan 1 at unable to maintain a bent arm hang for even a split second. Currently able to hold bent arm position for 4 seconds before descending into humiliation. :)

* complete c25k. I've done it in the past, but I'd be starting over again this year.