Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2017  (Read 172608 times)

tallen

• Stubble
Re: Strength & Fitness 2017
« Reply #100 on: January 06, 2017, 09:45:58 AM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought mobility work before lifting was a no-no? Because of neuromuscular feedback? I think you're more likely to get an injury, yeah?

Okay, it looks like the science is totally out on all this still: https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/two-new-studies-on-static-stretching-are-completely-conflicting

I know there's a lot more out there, but I need to hop offline for a while. Maybe someone else can investigate?

I've also heard not to stretch before weightlifting but afterwards or on off days is fine. Like you I'm not sure though.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #101 on: January 06, 2017, 09:54:09 AM »
Mind if I jump in? My goals:

<=15% bodyfat
225 bench press
305 squat
365 deadlift

These might be lofty goals coming from where I'm at now, but I've hit bigger numbers back years ago just floundering around for a couple years so I think it's doable on a good program if muscle memory is really a thing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #102 on: January 06, 2017, 10:11:11 AM »

<=15% bodyfat
225 bench press
305 squat
365 deadlift

These might be lofty goals coming from where I'm at now, but I've hit bigger numbers back years ago just floundering around for a couple years so I think it's doable on a good program if muscle memory is really a thing.

Where are you at now? =)

jordanread

« Reply #103 on: January 06, 2017, 11:19:37 AM »

<=15% bodyfat
225 bench press
305 squat
365 deadlift

tallen, I got you added to the participant tracking post.

BJ, did you want me to add you with the do something every day goal? I was waiting until you had more, but I can add you now.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #104 on: January 06, 2017, 11:25:18 AM »
Jordan - I use a piece of 4" PVC pipe for rolling. I put a towel over it when I am targeting my IT bands. It's the Mustachian answer to overpriced foam!

Also, for warm-ups, you might want to check out the Agile 8 and Limber 11. Don't have links, but they're fairly short routines that target a lot of stuff desk work tightens.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #105 on: January 06, 2017, 11:28:18 AM »

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #106 on: January 06, 2017, 11:37:32 AM »
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought mobility work before lifting was a no-no? Because of neuromuscular feedback? I think you're more likely to get an injury, yeah?

Okay, it looks like the science is totally out on all this still: https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/two-new-studies-on-static-stretching-are-completely-conflicting

I know there's a lot more out there, but I need to hop offline for a while. Maybe someone else can investigate?

I think it depends on the individual to what they need to do.  Whether or not it impacts performance I don't know.  But if pre workout mobility means the difference between doing a shitty squat vs good depth and good form squat, do the mobility.  In this regard I would say it can prevent injury.

I typically don't do mobility work before a workout, unless it's something that I have a limited ROM in.  For me this is mostly anything overhead (pressing, snatching, etc).  Loosing up my lats, pecs, traps, and delts really improves any work I do overhead.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #107 on: January 06, 2017, 11:41:19 AM »
First, re: foam rollers. I have a love/hate relationship with my foam roller. I started using one last year when, after years and years of back and hip problems I switched from a regular chiropractor to a professional who combines chiropractic with ART, and he got me hooked on the foam roller. It's been transformative. But it is NOT a pleasant experience. I have only used one therapeutically, but it has provided a ton of relief (I only had to do 4 ART/chiro sessions and have been able to maintain the results through foam rolling). The most useful piece of equipment I've ever purchased (the lacrosse ball comes in a close second).

My goals: worked out again today, first thing in the AM, for which I am immensely proud of myself. Also took the dog for a walk despite it being a whopping 7 degrees out. AND, perhaps the biggest win, I've only had one drink so far this week. Am sure I will have a few over the weekend, but I'm on track to be well within/below my booze goal for the week.

jordanread

« Reply #108 on: January 06, 2017, 11:45:40 AM »
First, re: foam rollers. I have a love/hate relationship with my foam roller. I started using one last year when, after years and years of back and hip problems I switched from a regular chiropractor to a professional who combines chiropractic with ART, and he got me hooked on the foam roller. It's been transformative. But it is NOT a pleasant experience. I have only used one therapeutically, but it has provided a ton of relief (I only had to do 4 ART/chiro sessions and have been able to maintain the results through foam rolling). The most useful piece of equipment I've ever purchased (the lacrosse ball comes in a close second).

My goals: worked out again today, first thing in the AM, for which I am immensely proud of myself. Also took the dog for a walk despite it being a whopping 7 degrees out. AND, perhaps the biggest win, I've only had one drink so far this week. Am sure I will have a few over the weekend, but I'm on track to be well within/below my booze goal for the week.

What's ART?

jordanread

« Reply #109 on: January 06, 2017, 12:29:45 PM »
Got you added LWTG.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #110 on: January 06, 2017, 12:31:09 PM »
Good to see you back, LWTG! I'm glad your shoulder has healed enough for you to get back on the bike.

Longwaytogo

• Magnum Stache
  • It is what it is!!
« Reply #111 on: January 06, 2017, 12:38:43 PM »
Got you added LWTG.

Thanks!
Good to see you back, LWTG! I'm glad your shoulder has healed enough for you to get back on the bike.

Thanks, it's healed enough to bike but I have not had much time. I did  a test ride on Thanksgiving to get cleared by my PT/doctor. But since then I've worked every Sat/Sun and it's too dark to bike during the week when I'm not at work. My dad/Boss has resolved not to work Sundays in 2017 though so my weekly ride should be back on track (when I'm not skiing :)

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #112 on: January 06, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
Where are you at now? =)

Doing starting strength, 6 weeks in. My last working weights where
Bench 160 3x5
Squat 210  5/5/4 -failed the last rep of last set today :(
Deadlift 245 1x5 (barely made the last rep today after the rough squat session)

For stats I'm 43yo, 220lbs and I'd estimate about 30% bodyfat.

tallen

• Stubble
« Reply #113 on: January 06, 2017, 12:47:01 PM »

golden1

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #114 on: January 06, 2017, 01:17:22 PM »
I also failed my primary fitness goals last year.  They were derailed for a variety of reasons, but basically by the end of the year I was a mess.  When I am not exercising regularly, I get sick.  I got two stomach viruses and a really nasty cold/respiratory virus that lingered for three weeks and I still have a cough from it.  My mental health and anxiety suffered as well. 

My goals are very simple:  Exercise is my priority. 

Strength train twice a week - I do a series of intense compound exercises for 20-30 minutes. 
Run 2-3X a week 2-3 miles to start, possibly ramping up in the spring and summer
Stretch daily
Push ups and planks on weekdays.

Two rest days per week. 

My real goal is to just stay healthy. 

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #115 on: January 06, 2017, 02:31:19 PM »

What's ART?

Active Release Technique: soft tissue manipulation. I'm told it can be intense in a 'hurts so good' kind of way from friends who have tried it.

I kind of feel that way about my foam roller. I just have a regular one (solid, no bumps). I use it mostly on my legs when things are tight (calves, hamstrings, IT band). It can also be intense on really tight muscles. I'm not sure I'd start with a bumpy one, but then maybe I'm just a wimp.

jordanread

« Reply #116 on: January 06, 2017, 04:00:26 PM »
Thanks HC. I like the intense and hurts so good feelings. That's why I went straight for the knobby roller. I'll do a bit of research on ART once I receive the roller.
Today was my last workout of the week, and I managed to stick with 100% success so far. A lot weaker than I was mid-2016. Oh well. Onward and upward.

golden1, I've got you added to the participant tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #117 on: January 06, 2017, 11:24:10 PM »
I've got a PT test when I get back to the States, and I'm not looking forward to getting back into running regularly to prep for it.  I'm up 15 pounds from when I last tested, and I don't think my knees are going to like it. 

Any tips for easing back into running after bulking for a while?

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #118 on: January 07, 2017, 01:56:25 AM »
I'll join the challenge this year.

I have always been extremely tight in my hips and hamstrings (and shoulders, though I notice that less), so this year I am going to put focus on mobility. My athletic history is mostly soccer and running, lower body stuff. I have already been working on this for a couple of months and hope to build on my progress in 2017. I have never been flexible and wonder how much is even possible in my body -- it honestly feels a little hopeless -- but I intend to find out this year.

I would also like to improve strength, but it is definitely a 'second tier' goal.

My specific goals are around mobility and strength. I do intend to continue to run and play some soccer, but don't feel a need to set goals there because I thoroughly enjoy running and soccer. I do not enjoy yoga or strength training, but maybe that will change at some point. I remember there was a turning point in my running when I was just starting, where it felt miserable for many months, and then it wasn't.

For mobility, I am doing yoga at a studio and using a foam roller and lacrosse ball and other stretches on my apartment floor. For strength, I am doing the 'recommended routine' from the bodyweightfitness subreddit (google will get you there if you're curious and if it's not already in the resource post).

I track everything in the Garmin system. I use a Garmin Vivoactive HR watch and really enjoy seeing the steps, miles run and biked, etc. I can also track yoga and strength there, though not as elegantly as running and biking.

Destination goals:
Front fold: Lay hands flat on floor with legs locked. (Now: can just barely touch my toes)     
Full deep squat with straight back and no discomfort or balance issues. (Now: can squat with feet flat, but my back is hunched and I am almost tipping over backward)
Sit cross-legged with straight back and no discomfort. (Now: sitting cross-legged lights up my outer hips. I am forced to hunch my back, and it still feels like I am going to tip over backward)
Sit on floor with legs in front and back straight, relaxed. (Now: I can sit on the floor with my legs straight in front of me, but my back is hunched and my hamstrings are already fully tight. My abs must be engaged significantly to stay upright)
3x8 pullups (currently 7/4/3)
3x8 ring pushups (currently 5/4/3)
3x8 ring dips (currently chair dips 8/8/7)

Input/journey goals:
Yoga average 3x per week (156x in 2017)
Bodyweight fitness recommended routine average 1.5x per week (77x in 2017) (I expect to have some on months of 3x/week and off months of 0-1x/week, hope to average 1.5x)

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #119 on: January 07, 2017, 03:53:29 AM »
In general my goal is to develop some consistency in my health and fitness promoting habits. More specifically:

Strength train 2x week
Cardio 2x week
At least walk on other days
Develop a daily yoga & meditation practice by the end of the year
Stretch/foam roll in the evenings during tv time
Eat Healthy >= 6x week
Do >= 1 full Pilates push-up by the end of the year

Feels good to write it all down. Now maybe I will actually do it!

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2017, 05:33:29 AM »
Anybody have experience with foam rollers? I was doing a bit of research on the Rumble Roller based on some stuff I saw in a Tai Cheng video, and then started researching it. Apparently they have them at Target too, and since I don't know if it will actually be worth the stupid price they have on it, I was going to try one there. However, the reviews online (especially relating to bruising in the first couple days, and the discomfort on knots) made me want to commit to it. I didn't wind up buying the RR, but I found this smaller off-brand one that has similar reviews. Since I got an Amazon gift card for xmas, it didn't cost me anything. I'm just wondering what your experiences have been with it.

Rollers are excellent. I use them regularly on my whole body including calves, lats, chest.... If you haven't used one before i would definitely recommend using a regular foam one before moving up to the rumble roller (or any other harder one with literally spurs that are going to dig into your body). A regular foam roller will hurt a lot until you get used to it.

You can also make your own by going to a hardware store and buying some PVC pipe. I'm not sure the size you need, but one that is approximately the size of a foam roller. If you find rolling on the PVC pipe too intense at first, put a towel over it as a cushion.

Another DIY rehabbing/prehabbing soft tissue tool that serves the same function as a roller is using a tennis or raquet ball. Those balls are especially good for the feet and hard to reach areas of the back, like the scapula area and lower traps.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2017, 05:36:01 AM »

I've also heard not to stretch before weightlifting but afterwards or on off days is fine. Like you I'm not sure though.

You should definitely do some mobility stuff before lifting. And rolling before lifting as well. Very common practice amongst competitive weightlifters, crossfit athletes, and powerlifters. :P

I did my first heavy bench session of 2017 (and this is the heaviest I benched in about a year). I managed to do 110kg for 3 unpaused reps, and then 112.5/247 lbs for 1 for pretty close to a true 1RM. I had no liftoff so I did lose some tightness in my set up. But overall happy with where my bench is currently at and looking forward to making some progress, and possibly entering a bench contest this summer. This is 1.58 x my bodyweight.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BO5ibjtjd0a/?taken-by=skinnin_kinnon
« Last Edit: January 07, 2017, 05:42:57 AM by TightFistedScot »

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2017, 04:20:06 PM »
I'm back too...2017 for me is all about consistency with sleep and workouts.

First a few comments as I'm a little late to for the early conversations because I had a sleeping setback on Day 3 of the new year (2 days in a row isn't very impressive...at least I'm motivated as hell now).  Jordan (and all) feel free to give me face punches galore if I mess up on sleep rules...

Routines and warm ups:

For those trying to do something everyday:
I loved this article and have started using the red X on calendar method for tracking my "following the sleep rules".  Essentially you Red X on a calendar when you do "X" and it becomes motivating to not break the chain.  2nd rule (as we're all human) is NEVER 2 in a row...if you do miss a day then "that next day suddenly has become the most important day of your life" and you must do "X".  more here:
https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/the-30-day-hard-hat-challenge/

2017 Goals:
  • Follow Sleep Rules > 95% Success Rate!!! (347+ of 365 days)
  • Strength Train 3x a week > 80% Success Rate (125+ of 156 days)
  • Strength Progress = Overall graph going up (such as:  BW progressions, reps, weight, generally increasing through out the year).
  • IF (hopefully not, but if) injured--Don't get discouraged, just reset to new normal and begin progressing again!

I'm planning (hoping) that the majority of missed strength training days are due to vacations because I usually do a ton of hiking then anyways which works as well...maybe I'll give myself a pass for those days (if hike a ton)?  TBD.

Also hopping that I only break the sleep rules due to social events out and not evil screen time...

adizb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2017, 04:27:54 PM »
I forgot about the new year resolutions this year, but its a great time to try and improve myself again. I will try to accomplish these things in 2017:

1. Ride a bike to work at least once (~12 miles one way)
2. Run a mile in under 9 minutes.
3. Lose 20 lbs (starting at 225)
4. Do 5 wide grip pull ups with good form
5. Bench Press 250 lbs in a set

haha shit... this will take some effort, but im up for it! starting right now, going to the gym!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2017, 09:29:48 PM »
3x3 155 deadlift tonight.  Ankle is feeling good, so should be able to hit my original DL goal fairly soon.

jordanread

« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2017, 11:48:31 AM »
PowerMustache, SachaFiscal, 2300, adizb. You've all been added to the participant tracking post. Now start/continue kicking ass!!

Again, please double check the listed goals to make sure I got the right. Adizb, I didn't see how many reps were in your set for bench presses, so I left that a question mark.

adizb

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2017, 02:00:05 PM »
PowerMustache, SachaFiscal, 2300, adizb. You've all been added to the participant tracking post. Now start/continue kicking ass!!

Again, please double check the listed goals to make sure I got the right. Adizb, I didn't see how many reps were in your set for bench presses, so I left that a question mark.

thanks =) this will be  a great motivator for me. yeah sorry for not specifying the reps for the bench press goal, just that this'll be hard and not sure how many i should put in there. I want to be motivated not terrified. If you can, sign me up for 5 reps. I usually do sets of 10 but since its such a big weight for me 5 should be plenty, thanks again!

tensile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Podcast Pals
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2017, 03:56:30 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place - in theory I'd sign up to a challenge... problem is weights are SO BORING.

Give me a ball to chase around, a shuttle to smack, and I'm all in. Jogging? Terrible. Weightlifting? OMG just euthanise me already.

I bought a Bio Force Home Gym thing thinking if I had gym equipment in my home I'd use it. Shocker - I don't. I get zero pleasure from sitting there slowly going through those movements. Zero. It's so incredibly tedious.

But I'm getting old and need some muscle somewhere on my body.

Anyone been in my shoes and overcome it without being hit by lightning or something?

jordanread

« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2017, 04:41:47 PM »
Not sure if this is the right place - in theory I'd sign up to a challenge... problem is weights are SO BORING.

Give me a ball to chase around, a shuttle to smack, and I'm all in. Jogging? Terrible. Weightlifting? OMG just euthanise me already.

I bought a Bio Force Home Gym thing thinking if I had gym equipment in my home I'd use it. Shocker - I don't. I get zero pleasure from sitting there slowly going through those movements. Zero. It's so incredibly tedious.

Anyone been in my shoes and overcome it without being hit by lightning or something?

Yes. What I had to do, and it might work for you, is to find an actual activity that you enjoy, but you'd enjoy more being physically fit. At that point, you are framing the workout or progress in the context of a fun activity. For example, I recently went to a trampoline center. Ridiculously fun. But I know that once I increase core strength and body awareness/control, I will have even more fun. Also, the slackline is a big one for me. Freerunning is super fun, but doing it well (I imagine) would be even more fun. I hate running, but I enjoy hiking. So part of my ideas are to be physically able to do trail running, so that I can see if it's fun.

If you look at the beginning post, what I'm describing here is first finding your destination goals, and then reaching out (like you have) and developing how to get to that destination.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2017, 12:32:28 AM »

I was in your shoes but I don't have any magic solution. No lightning, just a combination of joining a fitness community, public accountability, and finally getting excited by my progress (which took a couple years, alas). For me, the ball started rolling when I finally decided to sign up for crossfit after which my (ex)wife also decided to join. We both were just consistent enough that neither wanted to be the one to quit, although it was pretty hard for the first few months. Slowly, we became integrated with the community and made friends. We started hating the actual workouts less and less as well. Eventually, I started to like it. Then I started wanting to push myself harder, although I remained somewhat inconsistent.

After my divorce I moved and realized that my favorite part of crossfit had been the strength training elements, but I felt like I had not made much progress. Thus I looked for a powerlifting gym. Within 6 months I had added well over 200lbs to my total (1RM squat + bench + deadlift) and I was hooked. Turns out getting stronger was intrinsically quite motivating to me, but only when it was happening quickly. At least to start. Now, I am one of those people who gets antsy when I miss a workout. It took me over 3 years of consistent exercise to get here (dragging myself to the gym on dozens of occasions), but it did happen eventually. Not sure if that's helpful though!

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2017, 02:15:46 AM »

Follow Sleep Rules > 95% Success Rate!!! (347+ of 365 days)

2300, I'm working on the BW Reddit Recommended Routine too. It's my first time strength training and I struggle getting myself to do it, but I think it's very good for me to supplement my running with some strength.

Do you mind sharing a little more about your sleep issues/rules? I know this is tangential to the strength topic but I personally struggle falling asleep and wonder if you have the same problem and how you deal with it.

I like the way you've structured all of your goals in terms of forward progress and frequency paired with a target success rate. I might consider something along those lines for myself.

tensile

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Podcast Pals
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2017, 05:30:30 AM »
Not sure if that's helpful though!

It is. Thanks! To jordanread too.

k_to_the_v

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2017, 08:38:50 AM »
Well, I wouldn't call last week STELLAR, but
I did walk every day, despite frigid temps (although this is a habit that is already well instilled thanks to the dog)
I did three structured workouts over the week. Not as many as I'd like, but more than the big fat zero I had been doing.
Maybe most importantly, I did really good with moderating the booze. I came in comfortably under the limits I've set for myself.

So, I will call week one a success, and look to build on that in week two.

I'm really impressed at some of the strength goals here. I think once I feel like I have the drinking in check and have built in a habit of working out, I'm going to try (yet again) to focus specifically on strength goals.

MsPeacock

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2017, 10:59:10 AM »
Anybody have experience with foam rollers? I was doing a bit of research on the Rumble Roller based on some stuff I saw in a Tai Cheng video, and then started researching it. Apparently they have them at Target too, and since I don't know if it will actually be worth the stupid price they have on it, I was going to try one there. However, the reviews online (especially relating to bruising in the first couple days, and the discomfort on knots) made me want to commit to it. I didn't wind up buying the RR, but I found this smaller off-brand one that has similar reviews. Since I got an Amazon gift card for xmas, it didn't cost me anything. I'm just wondering what your experiences have been with it.

I'm doing some tai chi, possibly some yoga as my warm ups, as I find that I'm begin to get some soreness based on sleeping. Hopefully this makes my shoulder stop hurting. Oh, and it's not working out, it's just that I'm sleeping messed up on one shoulder.

I have a great big foam roller thing that you roll around on the floor on top off. It takes up a lot of space to use, as I tend to end up inch worming my way around the living room. I also recently purchased a "foam roller" that is like a thin rolling pin. I like it a lot better. I can do my lower legs myself, and I can have my boyfriend work on my IT band. It is also good for ribs/side. I got it at Target and they had several model to choose from for about $20. Rolling my IT band, one way or another, has done quite a bit to resolve muscle knots and pain due to running.

I also lost two pounds this week. I painted my living room, dining room, kitchen, and hallway but did not exercise outside at all this weekend (too cold!).

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2017, 02:27:48 PM »

Like others have mentioned, sometimes finding your 'community' is key and finding what the challenge is for you. I started running to help jump start my weight loss/get in shape. I was not a fan of running. But I did like the relatively quick gains I started to notice (Hey! I can walk up stairs without being winded! Wow, is that a leg muscle?!).  I'm not sure when I went from running because of the weight/in shape to actually enjoying it, but I do now. I'm not ever going to be one of the people who are all "Yay! Running! Sunshine! Rainbows! Best thing EVER!" (They exist, I know a few). It's just become part of my day. It's my quiet time. It's time to listen to that new book I downloaded from the library. Sometimes it's just about being outside on a beautiful day. I love challenging myself to hit faster paces.To run farther. I'm competitive enough that it's also about training harder to beat the lady in my age group who is just a little bit faster than me. I super love the running community in the town I live in and that's opened up a great new social aspect to both my running and my personal life.

Husband started running because I did. He is still not the biggest fan, but through running he found triathlons. Which he does love. For the challenge. For the other competitors. And for that, he is willing to run (and bike and swim).

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2017, 03:08:43 PM »
Adding some resources that came up in the Uber Frugal January thread, and then I couldn't find for a long time because I thought they were on here!

For doing yoga at home:
www.doyogawithme.com Specifically recommended: Melissa Krieger and Anastasia Hangemanole's classes
https://www.youtube.com/user/yogawithadriene

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2017, 08:03:46 PM »
my willpower got tested today. DW had to leave early in the morning to go to meetings so i didn't do my workout in the a.m like normal. No problem right? I will do it after work. I no sooner locked the door at work and the fire pager went off. So I haul ass down to the fire station and hop on a truck and spent 3 hours fighting a chimney fire. After we got done everybody was going to somebody's garage to have a few beers after a job well done. I REALLY wanted to go have some beers and probably would have if I got my workout done in the morning, but I decided I would pass up the beers and go spend an hour in my own garage throwing some iron around.

So all in all I got a little bonus workout consisting of a 1/2 mile bicycle sprint, 200 meter hose drags, and ax swings lol. On a more serious note my deadlifts are coming along nicely. I am still a little conservative on the weight but my form feels great. Everything else bench, pull-ups, and dips all still suck lol. Another bonus is I have inspired DW to start working out again which is great cause I want us both to be in shape and able to kick ass at whatever we decide to do.

PowerMustache

• Stubble
« Reply #137 on: January 10, 2017, 01:23:25 AM »
my willpower got tested today...

I'm impressed. I'd be very inclined to give myself a pass on working out after fighting a fire for 3 hours.

jordanread

« Reply #138 on: January 10, 2017, 06:32:44 AM »
So all in all I got a little bonus workout consisting of a 1/2 mile bicycle sprint

Wait, so did you do a bike sprint to a fire* truck, and then go put out a fire, and then ride back home, and then work out?

*If so, there is a huge opportunity here about doing bike sprints towards a FIRE truck.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2017, 08:20:58 AM »

I'm impressed. I'd be very inclined to give myself a pass on working out after fighting a fire for 3 hours.
Yuuuupp. Congrats, you are 100-500% more badass than me.

LifeHappens

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #140 on: January 10, 2017, 09:02:25 AM »

Yuuuupp. Congrats, you are 100-500% more badass than me.

Wow. Amazing work ethic. And thank you for your volunteer fire fighting.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 10, 2017, 09:27:55 AM »
Last year I didn't know what I was doing. This year I still don't, but I think I've got a good, realistic-but-fantastic-for-me list this year. Could you add them for me, jordanread?

• do 3000 push-ups
  • run 100 miles
  • lose 1 inch off waist

jordanread

« Reply #142 on: January 10, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
Last year I didn't know what I was doing. This year I still don't, but I think I've got a good, realistic-but-fantastic-for-me list this year. Could you add them for me, jordanread?

• do 3000 push-ups
  • run 100 miles
  • lose 1 inch off waist

Glad to have you back! I've got you added to the participant tracking post.

Travis

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #143 on: January 10, 2017, 10:34:37 AM »
I've got a PT test when I get back to the States, and I'm not looking forward to getting back into running regularly to prep for it.  I'm up 15 pounds from when I last tested, and I don't think my knees are going to like it. 

Any tips for easing back into running after bulking for a while?

I also have an APFT sometime in the spring that I'm getting ready for and starting from scratch (knee injury).  By no stretch am I an expert, but I have a lot of practice in overdoing it.  Start out slow.  Take your time and warm up correctly.  Set some achievable goals each week and work your way up to it.

I'm throwing my hat into the ring here with the following:

-15 minute two mile run
-65 pushups in two minutes
-70 situps in two minutes
-plank for 5 minutes

I started New Years with:
-20 minute two mile
-1 minute plank
-30 pushups before failure

This week I'm at:
-17:45 two mile
-1:30 plank
-35 pushups

I haven't tried doing pushups or situps for time yet, just several sets for exercise.  I've been doing pushups until muscle failure and seeing how many I can do at once.  Generally speaking, if I can do 50 reps of pushups and situps in the first minute then I'll be pretty close to my 2 minute goal.

I'm also getting into some minor weight lifting starting with a lot of squats.  I have almost no experience with weight lifting so I can't really lay down any quantifiable goals as yet.  There's a gym I can use for free next to my office that I'm trying to spend more time in.  Right now I'm just doing air squats and last week I did a few sets with just the bar and some 10 pounders on it.  I'm going to slowly ramp up the weight lifting a couple days a week.  I've always been slender and I'm not looking to put a lot of weight on, but I need to be stronger with how weak my shoulders and knees are.  Any advice towards these ends would be appreciated.

I have arthritis in my left shoulder, a slight separation in my collarbone, and I've had meniscus surgery done on both knees, the most recent being a year ago.  In the past I've been great with pull ups, but it's easy for me to strain my shoulder since I've pulled it a few times over the years.  I'm 36 years old, 5'10", and weigh 165 pounds.

SachaFiscal

• Bristles
« Reply #144 on: January 10, 2017, 07:50:48 PM »

Thanks! This is inspiring me. I've been going to the gym and eating much healthier. Still working on the yoga/meditation part but I think I will make it happen :-)

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #145 on: January 11, 2017, 01:42:30 AM »
I've only managed to make it to the gym twice this month so far...

I can attempt to blame it on the late nights at work and feeling generally run down but ultimately it's my fault for not finding the time. I don't particularly relish the idea of getting up at 06:00 in order to fit in a workout because I know I won't be home until 21:00.

At least I went yesterday!

Mezzie

• Pencil Stache
    • Mezzie Learns
« Reply #146 on: January 11, 2017, 05:54:50 AM »
I haven't increased my weights yet, but I am lifting, and that's most of the battle. Today is my scheduled recovery day, so I'll be doing some easy cardio on the recumbant exercise bike and some stretching. Hopefully tomorrow I'll go for a swim, but my arms are suuuper sore from yesterday's workout, so I may need to wait an extra day.

In possibly game-changing news, my BIL fixed my long-neglected bike. I'm not entirely sure my screwed up ankles can handle real biking, but I'm going to give it a go at the park as soon as I get my bike back. If I can do it without considerable pain, that'll be one more exercise option.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #147 on: January 11, 2017, 06:27:13 AM »

I'm throwing my hat into the ring here with the following:

-15 minute two mile run
-65 pushups in two minutes
-70 situps in two minutes
-plank for 5 minutes

I started New Years with:
-20 minute two mile
-1 minute plank
-30 pushups before failure

This week I'm at:
-17:45 two mile
-1:30 plank
-35 pushups

I haven't tried doing pushups or situps for time yet, just several sets for exercise.  I've been doing pushups until muscle failure and seeing how many I can do at once.  Generally speaking, if I can do 50 reps of pushups and situps in the first minute then I'll be pretty close to my 2 minute goal.

I'm also getting into some minor weight lifting starting with a lot of squats. I have almost no experience with weight lifting so I can't really lay down any quantifiable goals as yet.

Damnnnn a 5 minute plank would be unreal! 1:30 is good. 1:30/1:45 is about where I'm at. Do you ever do weighted planks? That's more often what I do for planks because I find it too boring just letting the clock run for over 1 minute in the same position. I throw a 45 pound plate on my rear-end and will hold that for about 30-45 seconds.

The recommendations I would give you on the squats is to accompany this movement with a lot of hip, ankle, and shoulder mobility work. Especially before you start your squats workout. You'll want to have good ankle mobility so your heels don't come off the ground as you are approaching parallel. You'll want good hip mobility to ensure you can get to parallel without having a butt wink. And good shoulder mobility translates to a narrower grip on the bar/locking the bar tighter into your back. Here are some great warm-up moves: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGglqs8YstU

Mobility Wod has a lot of videos for mobility work:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBHzXF-mVjY
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 06:33:58 AM by TightFistedScot »

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
« Reply #148 on: January 11, 2017, 06:33:25 AM »
I had a break through in my handstands last night. I'm pretty psyched about it because I have (inconsistently) working on handstands for 1.5 years now. I think I am finally figuring out how to engage my core so I can actually stand in one spot. My weakness has been that I would have to keep walking backwards because I didn't have the right position/tightness to stay in one spot. Now that my body is finally figuring it out I think I will improve pretty quickly from this point. Here's to hoping!

https://www.instagram.com/p/BPGtyDLDshf/?taken-by=skinnin_kinnon

Also did a set of 275 lb squats for 4 reps that felt pretty strong. Depending on how my back feels I am going to attempt a 300 or 305 lb squat for 1 rep in the next week or two.

jordanread

« Reply #149 on: January 11, 2017, 07:05:25 AM »
Damn TFS, that was impressive. Are you looking at progressing towards handstand pushups?

Travis, I've got you added to the participant tracking post.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!