Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402902 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #450 on: February 02, 2016, 03:28:55 PM »
Workout today:

Warmup: lunge walk
Squats: New PR! Worked up to 1 rep at 145lb
Deadlifts: just one quick set of 5 reps at 95lbs
Overhead: did some push press for warmup, then did 7x1 Clean and Jerk at 70lbs

I am very excited at the Clean and Jerk. I've only done them once before, last year. Just like last time though, I got the movement pattern correct on my first try. This both delights and annoys the hell out of DH who works at his olympic lifts daily. Just saying, gymnastics/dance is a transferrable skillset ;)

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #451 on: February 04, 2016, 09:17:24 PM »
I've started putting Spongebob stickers on my calendar every day I stretch my legs out. Plus side: It's very motivating. Downside: It looks like a five year old lives here.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #452 on: February 05, 2016, 06:06:10 AM »
I've started putting Spongebob stickers on my calendar every day I stretch my legs out. Plus side: It's very motivating. Downside: It looks like a five year old lives here.

I still print my training plan to post on my refrigerator and mark off each run with a big red "x." Sometimes I think the marking of the calendar is more satisfying than the run.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #453 on: February 05, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »

I have a Harry Potter sticker book. If you switch to those, it will look like an eleven-year-old lives there instead. Progress!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #454 on: February 05, 2016, 08:51:51 AM »
My CO drug me to a Tabata workout yesterday. An hour of 20 sec on, 10 sec off. I had to bow out of the last few sets of squats, but otherwise by knee was solid. It was a nice psychological high at the time, but now so very sore.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #455 on: February 05, 2016, 11:12:07 AM »

I still print my training plan to post on my refrigerator and mark off each run with a big red "x." Sometimes I think the marking of the calendar is more satisfying than the run.

Totally agree. Yesterday I stretched purely to earn that Spongebob. Maybe I'll switch to gold stars when I run out.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #456 on: February 06, 2016, 07:49:58 AM »
I did dumbbell military press for the first time in a long time yesterday. I had been just doing military on the smith because I liked the change of pace. I put up the 90lb Dumbbells for 8 reps! Felt really good. Will have to start incorporating them in more often.

I hit 201lbs on the scale yesterday morning. Almost to my "first" goal of 200lbs and feel great. I've really been losing from the areas I was hoping too. Next goal will be 190. I prefer smaller goals so I can enjoy the gratification of feeling more accomplished lol.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #457 on: February 06, 2016, 09:45:41 AM »
Nice to see everyone's progress! This week was good, hit the gym 5/5 days - 3 days strength training, 2 days stretching/pilates. Just a normal week of biking at 49.4 miles. Going to do one more stretching & one more strength training class this weekend, though I should probably do some running.

I'm in an intensive training all next week that will have me living at a hotel and working 18 hours/day on a computer. There's a fitness center in the conference complex, so I'm hoping I'll be able to grab a workout each morning. The big struggle is going to stay self-directed motivated with my workout when I've grown used to classes and I'll be sleep deprived.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #458 on: February 06, 2016, 02:38:49 PM »
I'm super intrigued by all the conversations about body fat/macros/strength training that has been happening. I'm not sure I'm that dedicated, shoot, I can't even seem to complete my strength train twice per week goal, But I really enjoy reading about those who are that dedicated and learning from the posts.

I've had a different reaction - not sure if this is quite the right thread for me after all ;)

I honestly don't care about metrics like body fat, macro nutrients percentages, specific strength training goals, etc... I just want to feel healthy, capable and strong and that I can use my body to do the outdoor activities that interest me. I hate going to the gym, but I am very active outdoors and I enjoy recreational activities like swimming, hiking, cycling, etc... that keep me active. I want to continue to be in good overall health/ability as I get older, but not get bogged down with measuring everything and stressing out over the small details.

That's just my style, though. For those of you who enjoy that sort of thing, good for you! :)

I get that.  I usually just skim many of the posts.
For me the specific strength goals aren't really my real goals at all.  Nor is my performance on Ninja Warrior (assuming they pick me at all), nor my appearance at Bay 2 Breakers.  Those things are all motivators.

My actual GOAL is to be one of those 85 year old guys who is still doing push-ups when most of his peers are using walkers (if they are still alive). 
Every old person I've ever asked "what's the secret/" to have given a variant of the same answer:

"Never stop"

But in practice I found that the fairly vague and very very far off in the future goal of maintain strength and fitness as I age didn't actually get me into the gym, where a goal of "be able to lift  my own bodyweight over head by May" is concrete enough to get me to do some presses every week

I love the goal of doing push-ups at 85!  JR had a great post somewhere about outrunning a bear or other such real life goals to strive for.  I have recently been motivating my wife by saying things like "don't you want to be able to play with our nieces, nephews, cousins etc when we're older?"  It motivates her (and me) to workout more for future goals like that...more of a life-long goal of fitness than a yearly challenge, but very cool way to think of it. 

On the calorie counting side I actually came to it another way.  To be honest I've learned that I was eating way too little even before I was really working out.  The combined effects of not eating enough, not working out, and poor sleep meant I had HORRIBLE ENERGY and never felt like I could ever work out.  Sleep is relatively under control now with no screen time past 9PM and the book "Say Good Night to Insomnia" and I started working out (which meant I needed more food).  I have done a handful of calorie counting days on myfitnesspal to get a "typical" and need to do a few more at which point I'll basically be done counting and into a general routine where I can add as needed. 

I'll have to wait till next month for a real strength training goal update as I skipped about 3.5 weeks due to travel abroad (did walk 5-8 miles every day for 2 of those weeks though) and sickness upon return...starting back slowly though and did 1st "normal" workout last Thursday--although at lower weights/difficulty.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #459 on: February 06, 2016, 02:57:35 PM »
Hi, I'd like to join.
My primary goal is to get from a BMI of 28.5 to a BMI of 25.  This means a drop in weight at 5'9" from 193 to 169.
In 2015 I made it from 202 to 180, back up to 193 as of this evening.  Fasting weight is about 189.

Just eating healthier, less/no carbs, some sort of weird paleo/whole30 variation, more body-movement exercises (yoga, playing with kids), a little 10lb kettlebell action while waiting for load-screens.  Looks like everybody is making good progress.  Let's keep it up!
Morning fasting weight lbs
1/1/15 189
1/5/15 186

1/16/16 185 BMI 27.3
I expect this to fluctuate as the alcohol and eating out is in full effect still this new year, canceling out all my gains (losses) from cutting out bread and rice.

Oof: meeting friends, with the requisite scotch and sushi: 188.4# this morning.  Basically have cancelled all weight loss.  Hopefully this morning it's just the alcohol...

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #460 on: February 06, 2016, 07:37:21 PM »
Week 5 complied with.  Adding another day to my gym routine was great, and helps keep me busy instead of sitting around.  It's great, it seems like the only day my gym is busy while I'm there is Monday, but I'm the only one doing my back workout with deadlifts and everyone else is swarming the benches.  That gives me free rein on the platform. 

I also ran 1 mile for the first time in a few months, but didn't time myself.  At the pace I ran, which was slower than necessary, I'd guess it was about 8 or 9 minutes (My best ever was 6:36 about a decade ago while I was in school).  I'm going to alternate Friday every other week doing distance running and sprints, with my end goal for distance being getting my 1.5 mile run (for PT test) back down to 10 minutes for the first time in 6 years.

Everything is going swell.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #461 on: February 07, 2016, 10:51:01 AM »
It's been a while since I checked in here but I'm loving reading about everyone's accomplishments!

Yesterday I ran an 8k race and got a new PR.  Old PR was 55 min and yesterday I ran it in 51 min.  Over 4 minutes faster!  Granted, an 8k isn't the most common distance, so I don't run them very often, but that's still a pretty awesome improvement, if I do say so myself.  Definitely bodes well for my sub-30 5k goal.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #462 on: February 07, 2016, 12:40:25 PM »
Wanted to point out to the discussion from page 11 about bodyfat percentages and looking "shredded":
There's two variables involved in muscle definition.
Body fat is only half.
Muscle mass is the other.
10% bodyfat on a female athlete looks "shredded", but that same 10% on someone with no significant muscle mass just looks skinny, maybe even slightly anorexic.
If you have low bodyfat but still don't have that look, try using heavier weights in your workouts and/or do more strength training and less cardio.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #463 on: February 07, 2016, 04:12:07 PM »
7.5 mile hike today, with some decent climbs, but overall not a super hard one. Great weather for it, and we picked a weird trail so no one else was on it. (The first trail we thought to do was PACKED- I guess Oregonians just like flaunting superbowl sunday!)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #464 on: February 08, 2016, 06:13:00 AM »
I was such a bum this week workout wise. I completed all my runs and did some yoga, but didn't strength train or swim. It was a good week of runs though. My 8 miles yesterday morning was particularly lovely. I traveled this weekend to help a friend and it was fun to explore a new area on my run.

RamonaQ: Great job on the PR!

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #465 on: February 08, 2016, 06:28:53 AM »
I found a few really great training partners the last couple of weeks, and working out is just more fun.

Now the food tracking and meal prepping on the other hand . . . blech.

jordanread

« Reply #466 on: February 08, 2016, 08:48:41 AM »
I'll jump in this year!

1. Deadlift. Goal is 1.5x bodyweight, or 202.5lbs (so 200lbs really). Stretch goal: 2x bodyweight, or 270lbs. I'm currently doing 145lb 1 rep max.
2. Back squat. Goal is 1x bodyweight, or 135lbs. Stretch goal is 1.5x bodyweight, or ~200lbs. I'm currently doing 115lb.
3. Achieve a proper front rack position. This is hard given mobility restrictions from a previous injury.

January tally:
1. Deadlift. PR went from 145lbs to 160lbs. 15lb increase. 40lbs to go!
2. Squat. PR went from 115lbs to 135lbs. 20lb increase. Met my first goal already, so shooting for 200lbs.
3. Fell down a bit on this goal. Haven't been working on my mobility really at all. Have been working my push press, though, and I stretch into front rack position as much as I can before starting. That's all I've done though. Need to get a formal mobility WOD in place for this.

I went ahead and got your goal all struck through and stuff! Way to go! Also, I realized I totally screwed up the initial goal for your and fixed that. Can everyone else double check your goals in the tracking post?

Wanted to point out to the discussion from page 11 about bodyfat percentages and looking "shredded":
There's two variables involved in muscle definition.
Body fat is only half.
Muscle mass is the other.
10% bodyfat on a female athlete looks "shredded", but that same 10% on someone with no significant muscle mass just looks skinny, maybe even slightly anorexic.
If you have low bodyfat but still don't have that look, try using heavier weights in your workouts and/or do more strength training and less cardio.

That is a good point, and it seems obvious in hindsight, but I'm glad you mentioned it.

So is anyone struggling with their goals, who hasn't posted/expanded on yet? It seems like there might be a touch of struggling on certain goals, but everyone who has posted is kicking ass in general progress no matter how that looks. I know it sometimes gets embarrassing, but there won't be judgement on that front.

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #467 on: February 08, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
Another weekly update:
day/target/actual:
mon  /rest  /13.1miles (catching up from my missed run the day before)
tues  /3mi  /3mi
wed  /5mi  /3.5mi
thurs/3mi  /arms+chest day, 1hr floor hockey
fri    /rest  /2hrs volleyball
sat   /6mi  /rest
sun  /9mi  /9mi

Wasn't my best week for running, but I weighed in <170lbs for the first time in 2 years, so I'm happy with things on the nutrition side.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #468 on: February 08, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
Workout today, notable for 2 reasons:

1. I successfully chained my clean and jerks together, rather than the individual lifts I was doing. 2x5 at 65lbs
2. Was totally solo. DH is gone today, so I (gasp) set everything up myself. We have to do a rather tricky manuever to get the bar out of our house and into the carport, so I was happy I got it out. Even happier I got it back in. Hopefully I share DH's magic touch and the bar won't fall on the washer the way it did last time I put it away =o

Details:
Warmup: lunge walks (in the sunshine! yay! slightly less miserable!)
Deadlifts: worked up to 2x2 at 135lbs, and thought that felt good, so went for 2x1 at 155lbs
Overhead: Strict press with bar x3, then the clean and jerks as mentioned above

Skipped squats because I like to have DH do form check- I've been favoring my right knee all month, and I can't tell when I'm doing it. (GRRR. Used to body awareness, hate when I don't have it!)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #469 on: February 08, 2016, 10:15:03 PM »
I've mentioned before my reasons for improving my fitness level...largely to be more capable of doing the things that make me happy (hobbies and passions)...with a bit of just plain "wanting to look good" thrown into the mix.

But this past long weekend (thank you B.C. Family Day!) I have realized just how all the work and discipline have paid off in a tangible, useful way. I spent much of this past weekend splitting firewood, doing early garden prep work (building raised beds), clearing land and burning debris. I (I should say WE, Lady Snow is my fellow weekend warrior) worked HARD...harder than I've been able to work in a SUSTAINED, high intensity manner on our land before - I felt pretty great last year, but how I am feeling now is DIFFERENT. Several years ago, such work would have had me feeling wrecked and sore at the end of the day...now the end of the work day just brings a pleasant fatigue - very similar to how I feel after a lifting session at the gym...and after a hearty dinner, the desire is there to get back at it the next day. I also think my recent attention to improving my leg strength might be the real key here...it certainly feels like I am working on an increasingly solid FOUNDATION lately.

I'm on a ferry back to Vancouver right now, feeling great about how much I was able to accomplish this weekend on our island property. And I can't wait to get back in the gym in the morning. There is no stopping this train. :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #470 on: February 09, 2016, 11:39:28 AM »
For February I just want to concentrate on doing something at least 5 days a week. That can be stretching, riding, strength training, yoga, going for a walk, etc. Once I get in the habit of regularly doing "something" then I can concentrate on specifying what that "something" should be
I successfully did stretching/yoga videos five days last week and strength training one day.

I told DH that was I wanted for Valentines Day was for him to encourage me to exercise and eat right. He doesn't actually have to work out with me, just remind me that I said I wanted to hit the gym or that I shouldn't eat an entire bag of M&M's. This will be hard for him since his default mode is also sedentary but when he's made these comments in the past I always end up doing the right thing. I'm hoping that if I remind him of this at night when I have all the good intentions he'll remember the next day when those good intentions have gone out the window
]

Haha, I feel the sentiment! DH and I can be each other's biggest motivators or total saboteurs. We tend to give each other permission to wane in our dedication (babe, I don't wanna, let's just order pizza?). I'd say most of the time we do okay, one of us will set the other straight.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #471 on: February 09, 2016, 11:45:15 AM »
I have been doing pretty good, my workout schedule is set to weight lifting 6 days a week plus a HIIT session on one of those days. I haven't missed a HIIT yet this year and I've been getting at least 5/6 workouts in every week, if I miss I usually tack the exercises onto one of my other days.

I successfully climbed a rope for the first time last week! That was pretty exciting and surprisingly easy, I hadn't ever attempted to before though.

Diet fell way off the last week, just extra food sneaking it's way into my mouth. :/ Enjoyed myself for super bowl but my weight sky rocketed, safe to assume it's mostly water but I'm waiting for it to taper off. :P So, no reverse diet progress this week, definitely staying at the same calorie level.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #472 on: February 09, 2016, 01:56:10 PM »
I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this thread!  I like reading about everyone's plans and goals.  I think the goals to do ultras, and centuries, etc are great ones.

I don't really want to look shredded.  I mean, I'd love to, but considering my body type, I think it would take way more work and dedication than I'm really interested in putting in, KWIM?

- Partly, I just don't want to be overweight.  I managed to lose enough of the last baby pounds at the end of last year to make that not true
- I want to be able to DO STUFF.  But, not ultras or centuries.  I've found in the last few years that I am prone to injuries if I push it too hard.  Running killed my hip and ankle, zumba wrecked my knee.

So, for example, I swim, I walk, I lift, I do body weight exercises.  This means if I need to be able to walk a bunch, I can.  I generally walk 5 miles one day per week.  Oh, I'm pretty sore after (mostly my lower back), but I can do it.

I like being able to swim with my kids and not be afraid of drowning.  I learned to swim at 40.

When I swim, I've noticed the occasional shoulder twinge if I try to go too fast, so I dial it back (dialing it back is HARD for me, my body has forced me into it).

Yoga relaxes me and makes me strong.  But sometimes, I don't feel like putting in a DVD. 

Last week I did:
- Mon - 15 minutes of yoga in my living room.  I set Alexa at "sleep music" and the timer for 15 minutes.  It was way better than doing nothing!
- Tue - swap 30 laps
- Wed - walked kids to school (1.5 miles round trip)
- Thu - swam 30 laps
- Fri - did a 15 min HIIT workout DVD at home
- Sat - was a lazy bum (well, took kiddo to swim, grocery shopped and cooked).  Actually I think I did 12 pushups.
- Sun - 5 mile walk with a friend

What's important to me is to remind myself to do SOMETHING - if I even just walk a mile on my lunch break, or do some squats and pushups, that's great. 

Anyway, I have a good friend who is 72.  When I met her 14 years ago, she was doing 3-day walks for Breast Cancer, tap dancing, and playing tennis.  She's had to quit tap dancing and tennis due to the knees.  She's still doing the 60 mile walks (and associated training). She takes a back stretch class at the YMCA, and also does strength training and HIIT at the Y (modified for her knees).  She's fit and healthy but has learned to work with her body.

This is essentially what I want to be at 72.  I'm reasonably fit, but hey I'm not running half marathons anymore.  I can pick up my toddler without getting injured (mostly, he's almost too big for that now).

jordanread

« Reply #473 on: February 09, 2016, 02:52:02 PM »
I'm not sure why it took me so long to find this thread!  I like reading about everyone's plans and goals.  I think the goals to do ultras, and centuries, etc are great ones.

I don't really want to look shredded.  I mean, I'd love to, but considering my body type, I think it would take way more work and dedication than I'm really interested in putting in, KWIM?

- Partly, I just don't want to be overweight.  I managed to lose enough of the last baby pounds at the end of last year to make that not true
- I want to be able to DO STUFF.  But, not ultras or centuries.  I've found in the last few years that I am prone to injuries if I push it too hard.  Running killed my hip and ankle, zumba wrecked my knee.

So, for example, I swim, I walk, I lift, I do body weight exercises.  This means if I need to be able to walk a bunch, I can.  I generally walk 5 miles one day per week.  Oh, I'm pretty sore after (mostly my lower back), but I can do it.

I like being able to swim with my kids and not be afraid of drowning.  I learned to swim at 40.

When I swim, I've noticed the occasional shoulder twinge if I try to go too fast, so I dial it back (dialing it back is HARD for me, my body has forced me into it).

Yoga relaxes me and makes me strong.  But sometimes, I don't feel like putting in a DVD. 

Last week I did:
- Mon - 15 minutes of yoga in my living room.  I set Alexa at "sleep music" and the timer for 15 minutes.  It was way better than doing nothing!
- Tue - swap 30 laps
- Thu - swam 30 laps
- Sat - was a lazy bum (well, took kiddo to swim, grocery shopped and cooked).  Actually I think I did 12 pushups.

What's important to me is to remind myself to do SOMETHING - if I even just walk a mile on my lunch break, or do some squats and pushups, that's great. 

Anyway, I have a good friend who is 72.  When I met her 14 years ago, she was doing 3-day walks for Breast Cancer, tap dancing, and playing tennis.  She's had to quit tap dancing and tennis due to the knees.  She's still doing the 60 mile walks (and associated training). She takes a back stretch class at the YMCA, and also does strength training and HIIT at the Y (modified for her knees).  She's fit and healthy but has learned to work with her body.

This is essentially what I want to be at 72.  I'm reasonably fit, but hey I'm not running half marathons anymore.  I can pick up my toddler without getting injured (mostly, he's almost too big for that now).

Glad you found us!! So how do you want me to enter your goal?

Something like below?

• Consistently engage in daily activity

simpleFIblog

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
  • Financial Independence Simplified
    • Simplified Finance
« Reply #474 on: February 09, 2016, 06:07:41 PM »
A little late to the party, but thought I'd get on board! My company no longer pays for my gym membership, so I've shifted gears away from powerlifting to kettlebells and bodyweight movements. Here's my goals for the year:

RKC Snatch Test (100 53# KB Snatches in 5:00)
Press 98 lb. kettlebell with each arm
5 strict ring muscle ups

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #475 on: February 09, 2016, 09:40:00 PM »
Are you making fun of my wimpy skinny Olive Oyl arms? Why I outta punch you but I'm not sure I have the strength to make a fist ;).  But seriously you are right on. If I put the effort into lifting heavier weights and less reps I can get bigger fast. And being skinny armed it shows fast too. However, as a long distance runner who eats alot yet has been called anorexic in the before,  I also need to cut back on the aerobic leg work stuff if I want to gain muscles in my upper body. Making some gains but hard when I'm travelling.

lol, that wasn't directed at anyone in particular!  I usually don't pay attention to the names of the posters; I didn't have any clear idea if that sub-conversation was between 2 or 3 or 8 different people.  Its just something I've noticed in general (esp. among female typed people).
Actually, I wrote a whole (controversial!!) blog post about it once, which inspired Jordan Reed to point out Kacy Catenzaro of American Ninja Warrior to me, whom I subsequently incorporated into that post... and now, a couple years later, I am trying out for American Ninja Warrior!
AND participating in a fitness thread started by none other than Jordan Reed!  Coincidence?
Well, actually yes, but still kind of cool...

jordanread

« Reply #476 on: February 10, 2016, 06:08:38 AM »
Actually, I wrote a whole (controversial!!) blog post about it once, which inspired Jordan Reed to point out Kacy Catenzaro of American Ninja Warrior to me, whom I subsequently incorporated into that post... and now, a couple years later, I am trying out for American Ninja Warrior!
AND participating in a fitness thread started by none other than Jordan Reed!  Coincidence?
Well, actually yes, but still kind of cool...

Coincidence? Sure...or I am a behind the scenes mastermind, shaping the planet like soft clay in my hands. My > 3 year plan of getting a Mustachian on ANW is coming together. Muahahaha. Nah, probably coincidence.

I read that (awesome) blog post of yours on your website - again agreed with your assessment - and then re read it when Jorden Read posted it here later.  And again good luck on ANW if selected. We're all rooting for you.

It was a pretty good article. I liked it just for the whole challenging of assumptions.

A little late to the party, but thought I'd get on board! My company no longer pays for my gym membership, so I've shifted gears away from powerlifting to kettlebells and bodyweight movements. Here's my goals for the year:
[...]

Welcome to the gauntlet!! I've got you added to the tracking post and added the RKC Snatch test to the goal description post.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #477 on: February 10, 2016, 02:10:29 PM »
I really feel like I have found a routine I want to stick with...at least until June when my routine becomes less city-centric (gym focused) and more outdoor-centric (kayaking, hiking, gardening).

Monday's (or Tueday's when it's a long weekend) I like to sandwich cardio around my chest/shoulder/tricep workout...mainly because the weekend usually involves some sort of dietary transgressions so I like to do extra cardio as a sort of "self punishment". ;) Yesterday, I burned 370 calories on the bike before hitting the weights...then another 230 afterwards.

Tuesday's are for legs, abs, and lower back. I will walk for 20 minutes on the treadmill to warm the muscles up. But that's about it...no sense exhausting the legs with more serious cardio when you are about to abuse them properly with weights.

Wednesday...arms and upper back. I have tried doing this the day following chest and shoulders, but there is still some fatigue in the upper body present which really hurts my workout efficiency. Inserting the "leg day" in between the two upper body workouts seems to really work. I will usually try to burn 400 calories on the bike at the end of this session.

Depending on how the week is shaping up, I will dedicate either Thursday or Friday to a fairly good cardio session...usually a 5 or 10k run...but if the weather is the pits I will try to burn 600 calories on the stationary bike....with the remaining day of the week being a REST DAY.

I will stick with this template until June 1 and see where it gets me. :)

Weight is still holding steady at around 185...so if I am a bit leaner at the end of Feburary that means I'm SLOWLY gaining some muscle mass.

And I plan to attempt my little 1 minute push-up challenge on Saturday...I am HOPING I can churn out at least 45...we will see.

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #478 on: February 11, 2016, 12:08:32 PM »

Last week I did:
- Tue - swap 30 laps
- Thu - swam 30 laps

Glad you found us!! So how do you want me to enter your goal?

Something like below?

• Consistently engage in daily activity
yes

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #479 on: February 12, 2016, 07:53:15 AM »
It's gotten whoa cold around my location this week, but I have completed all my runs in so far and a round of yoga. I scheduled to run a local 5K tomorrow and I planned to go after a sub-30 minute again to make sure New Year's Eve wasn't a fluke, but with an expected daily high of 10 degrees tomorrow and an expected sub-zero windchill during the race, I might just go for: "Don't slip on ice and don't freeze off fingers" as my goal. I seem to struggle to hit hard pace efforts in anything below 20 degrees or so even when dressed appropriately for the weather.

I know I will run this weekend, but this post is more for accountability to actually go complete the race than to blow it off for the much nicer day expected on Sunday. I've already registered and I hate to throw away the $10 registration fee.

jordanread

« Reply #480 on: February 12, 2016, 08:24:26 AM »
yes

I've got you added to the tracking post. Welcome again!

jordanread

« Reply #481 on: February 12, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
I know that I could have found this information had I googled about instead of writing this post, but I figured...screw it, I love this place and the information can be valuable. Here is my question:
Should one eat prior to a work out, or eat on an empty stomach? If they should eat (or if they have to), what should be consumed?
So here are my basic assumptions, some backed up by actual science, others based strictly on experience and theory:

• You use energy when you work out (or by being alive).
  • Energy, when consumed in the human body, is measured by calories.
  • A calorie (at least when it comes to food) is actually a kilocalorie (meaning 1000 calories)*
  • An actual calorie (read that: 1000/kilocalorie) is the approximate amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1°C @ 1 atmosphere
  • The body uses the easiestly accessible energy by default.
  • Food eaten (prior to digestion) is the easiest accessible energy.
  • Simple carbohydrates are the easiest to turn to energy.
  • If one doesn't eat prior to a workout, the body will use what energy it has access to (assuming one doesn't bitch out)

I usually try to workout before I eat breakfast, because I feel that it's better for losing weight (and I have some to lose). So yeah...my thoughts are that we lose weight (since the energy is from the stored awesomeness we have in our body) when we don't eat before a workout, but pushing ourselves will make for more effective muscles, regardless.

Jeez, that was stupid long considering all I wanted to say was the last paragraph. All right, I know that this could devolve into a discussion about what one thinks someone else should do. I don't want that. If it's something that works for you, say that. If it's something backed up by science:

*There is an actual standard based on the extremely measurable 'joule', since a kilojoule and a kilocalorie are pretty close. In America, we don't do that because things (which are stupid IMHO).

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #482 on: February 12, 2016, 05:56:41 PM »
... or eat on an empty stomach?

You should definitely only eat on an empty stomach, esp. if you are trying to lose weight.  The alternative would be to eat when you are already full (or at least not hungry)!

• A calorie (at least when it comes to food) is actually a kilocalorie (meaning 1000 calories)*
  • An actual calorie (read that: 1000/kilocalorie) is the approximate amount of energy it takes to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water 1°C @ 1 atmosphere
Good so far
prior to digestion, food eaten is not accessible to the body at all.
The easiest to access energy is ATP already in the cells, followed by creatine, and then possibly glycogen (not sure if glycogen would come just before or just after recently consumed sugar).  However, the stores of (esp. ATP) are low and are burned through quickly, and then, yeah, recently digested food is more readily available than stored fat or protein.

• If one doesn't eat prior to a workout, the body will use what energy it has access to (assuming one doesn't bitch out)
I usually try to workout before I eat breakfast, because I feel that it's better for losing weight (and I have some to lose).

But there's a major caveat!  If you work out first, you will be a lot more hungry, and unless you are measuring portions, you will almost definitely eat more.  Which will cancel out any gains made from working out with no fuel.

Also, the body doesn't discriminate much between burning fat and burning muscle.  Consumed protein tends to preserve muscle though.

For both those reasons, it might be better to consume a high protein meal (or all protein, like a whey shake) pre-workout, (and maybe serve breakfast in advance and set it aside, and then don't allow yourself seconds when you eat after the workout)

jordanread

« Reply #483 on: February 12, 2016, 09:49:08 PM »
... or eat on an empty stomach?

You should definitely only eat on an empty stomach, esp. if you are trying to lose weight.  The alternative would be to eat when you are already full (or at least not hungry)!

Good so far
prior to digestion, food eaten is not accessible to the body at all.
The easiest to access energy is ATP already in the cells, followed by creatine, and then possibly glycogen (not sure if glycogen would come just before or just after recently consumed sugar).  However, the stores of (esp. ATP) are low and are burned through quickly, and then, yeah, recently digested food is more readily available than stored fat or protein.

I usually try to workout before I eat breakfast, because I feel that it's better for losing weight (and I have some to lose).

But there's a major caveat!  If you work out first, you will be a lot more hungry, and unless you are measuring portions, you will almost definitely eat more.  Which will cancel out any gains made from working out with no fuel.

Also, the body doesn't discriminate much between burning fat and burning muscle.  Consumed protein tends to preserve muscle though.

For both those reasons, it might be better to consume a high protein meal (or all protein, like a whey shake) pre-workout, (and maybe serve breakfast in advance and set it aside, and then don't allow yourself seconds when you eat after the workout)
Makes a fair amount of sense. Good catch on that funny little brain fart at the beginning. I'll look more into this on Monday. Thanks for the reply!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #484 on: February 12, 2016, 10:00:46 PM »
YMMV, but I eat some carbs before cardio, eat protein after lifting.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #485 on: February 13, 2016, 09:08:00 AM »
Easy choice for me: if I eat too close to working out, I feel like I need to puke. But I also workout afternoons usually, so we're talking a while after lunch generally anyway- not before or after 'breaking the fast'.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #486 on: February 14, 2016, 05:36:04 AM »
I work out around 5 p.m.  I have a meal of 4 oz meat and 1/4 cup rice or potatoes around 3-3:30.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #487 on: February 14, 2016, 08:28:38 AM »
I know that I could have found this information had I googled about instead of writing this post, but I figured...screw it, I love this place and the information can be valuable. Here is my question:
Should one eat prior to a work out, or eat on an empty stomach? If they should eat (or if they have to), what should be consumed?
So here are my basic assumptions, some backed up by actual science, others based strictly on experience and theory:

I usually try to workout before I eat breakfast, because I feel that it's better for losing weight (and I have some to lose). So yeah...my thoughts are that we lose weight (since the energy is from the stored awesomeness we have in our body) when we don't eat before a workout, but pushing ourselves will make for more effective muscles, regardless.

Jeez, that was stupid long considering all I wanted to say was the last paragraph. All right, I know that this could devolve into a discussion about what one thinks someone else should do. I don't want that. If it's something that works for you, say that. If it's something backed up by science:

*There is an actual standard based on the extremely measurable 'joule', since a kilojoule and a kilocalorie are pretty close. In America, we don't do that because things (which are stupid IMHO).

The short answer, do what makes you feel good/works for you. If you're happy with how things are going then keep it up, if you are feeling sluggish in workouts or not making the progress you think you should then it might be time to change things.

The long answer, it depends entirely on the types of exercise you are engaging in and the time of day you exercise. Your science breakdown is pretty spot on! The caveat comes if you are doing high intensity exercise and trying to live a low carb lifestyle, you'll eventually fall flat. Training like crossfit, power lifting, and high intensity interval training(HIIT) require easily accessible carbohydrate sources (primarily in the form of glucose or glycogen) for the intense short bursts. Your body can't process stored fat/protein fast enough to fuel the high intensity periods so it goes for glucose or muscle glycogen.

If you are just doing low or moderate intensity work like jogging, walking, yoga, etc you don't need the same access to quick fuel.

If you exercise early in the morning eating most of your carbs at your last meal of the day can be one way to fuel your next morning's workout. If you exercise in the afternoon then your meals from earlier in the day should be enough.

It is recommended though that you get 25g of protein 30 minutes before and after your workout to help support "muscle protein synthesis." This will preserve your muscle and help rebuild after exercising. Unless you are exercising twice a day at a high level you don't need carbs after your workout, your next meal will suffice.

Example: I workout in the afternoon, I usually eat a snack an hour and a half before I workout that contains 30-50g of carbs and 25g of protein, usually in the form of steel cut oatmeal with honey a little milk and a scoop of whey protein powder. After I workout I get in a quick carb, usually a rice krispies treat or maybe a banana or some dates, and then have a meal a little lower in fat with protein and carbs for dinner.

For a morning workout, I'd eat a carb heavy meal for dinner, then in the morning I'd have a cup of coffee, a banana, and a protein shake. I'd do a quick carb post workout and then eat a well balanced breakfast 30 minutes to an hour later.

I am a certified coach for Eat to Perform, (though I don't get paid or have an affiliate link...yet) and this is the principle they teach (with 2 PhD guys and a ton of research between them). The idea is to fuel your exercise so you can perform at a higher level (and it goes everyone, not just athletes) and you burn your extra body fat on your rest days. On rest days it is suggested you eat lower carbohydrates to help facilitate this. Here is a detailed post from the ETP founder himself: https://www.facebook.com/EatToPerform/posts/684013334961685 (bonus, he makes an aside about watching Breaking Bad :D )
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 08:33:18 AM by eat.train.yoga.love »

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #488 on: February 14, 2016, 09:05:59 AM »
My DH and I bought a bicycle. We only bought one so that we could make sure it would get use before we got a second. DH decided he wants to start riding to work and I'd like to do the same. We both did trial attempts this weekend and see this being feasible for us.

I rode yesterday around the neighborhood to get the wobbles out and experiment with shifting gears (but just like the saying goes, "it's like riding a bike" I picked it all up quickly). My trial run to work took 13 minutes there and 11.5 minutes back, it is 2.5 miles and literally uphill both ways. :P The hill there is worse, I had a peak heart rate of 167 bpm just from the climb.

My bike muscles need some conditioning but it will only happen with consistency. So my new goal is to bike to work once a week to start.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #489 on: February 14, 2016, 02:31:02 PM »
Managed 43 push-ups in 60 seconds yesterday. Came out of the gate impressively...but at around 30 reps things started to get difficult quickly. The last 5 proved to be somewhat torturous. ;)

I will try again in a few months...hopefully can make it into the 50+ rep range.

Interestingly, the current verified world record for most push ups in one minute is 138. :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #490 on: February 14, 2016, 03:34:01 PM »
PR on overhead today!

Warmup: lunge walk
No squats today
OH: 10x1 at 75lbs, power clean and jerk
Deadlift: 7x1, then 1x2 of 135lbs

Went pretty light since DH is sick, and I'm hoping not to get sick.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #491 on: February 14, 2016, 04:00:25 PM »
Managed 43 push-ups in 60 seconds yesterday. Came out of the gate impressively...but at around 30 reps things started to get difficult quickly. The last 5 proved to be somewhat torturous. ;)

I will try again in a few months...hopefully can make it into the 50+ rep range.

Interestingly, the current verified world record for most push ups in one minute is 138. :)

Nice! Just tried and got 33. Had to take 2 little breaks and just hold in Plank.

My DH and I bought a bicycle. We only bought one so that we could make sure it would get use before we got a second. DH decided he wants to start riding to work and I'd like to do the same. We both did trial attempts this weekend and see this being feasible for us.

I rode yesterday around the neighborhood to get the wobbles out and experiment with shifting gears (but just like the saying goes, "it's like riding a bike" I picked it all up quickly). My trial run to work took 13 minutes there and 11.5 minutes back, it is 2.5 miles and literally uphill both ways. :P The hill there is worse, I had a peak heart rate of 167 bpm just from the climb.

My bike muscles need some conditioning but it will only happen with consistency. So my new goal is to bike to work once a week to start.

Certainly sounds like a manageable distance. Have fun!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #492 on: February 14, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »

I'd recommend doing it way more often than once a month if you want to get better.  More like once every few days. 

I did it once every few days (along with other stuff) in preparation for bootcamp (pushups in a minute is one of the fitness standards), and went from around 35 to around 70 in a few months (and then actually lost some at bootcamp!)

I have some doubts as to whether 138 were all full range of motion, straight elbows up, chest to within 3 inches of the floor down, back straight the entire time. Even if a person has the stamina,  there just isn't time to do 2.3 full range of motion push-ups every second!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #493 on: February 14, 2016, 05:47:19 PM »
I have some doubts as to whether 138 were all full range of motion, straight elbows up, chest to within 3 inches of the floor down, back straight the entire time. Even if a person has the stamina,  there just isn't time to do 2.3 full range of motion push-ups every second!

I agree.

Also Bakari - good luck with ANW, me and my kids love that show!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #494 on: February 14, 2016, 06:24:38 PM »
I have to eat something in the morning if I'm going over 3-4 miles, but otherwise, I just wait and eat after. If I run after work, I usually don't eat before hand unless I missed lunch. I used to not fuel during long runs much, now I try to take 50-60 calories every hour or so and that has made a world of difference how I feel in the later miles and at the end. I'm not a fan of Gu (or similar products) but I do like Honey Stinger Waffles. I break them into the right sized (for me) pieces pre-run. Nice boost of carbs mid-run. I'd recommend them to any of the runners looking for something easy to carry and digest.

Weekly summary:

• 4 runs, including a 5K. It was a cut back week mileage wise, which was nice.
  • 2 swims. Including a full pool mile today! I've only done that once before.
  • 1 round of Iron Strength for Runners.
  • 1 round of yoga

I did run and finished the 5K in 29:57. Slower than my PR, but it was around 5*F which is well below where my pace usually starts to slow. So I feel pretty good about it. It was only my second time under 30 minutes for 5K!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:09:00 PM by hudsoncat »

fallstoclimb

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #495 on: February 15, 2016, 03:18:44 PM »
Popping into this thread for the first time.  Does anyone have advice/resources for putting together a simple bodyweight routine for cross training /injury prevention purposes?

I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding guidelines here, although I can't imagine I'm in a rare situation.  I'm a cyclist who also hikes and rides horses.  I could stand to lose 10 pounds but weight loss is neither a primary nor a secondary goal.  I'm mostly just looking for a cross training routine for injury prevention purposes. 

Because I love my other activities, I don't have a lot of patience for stretching & strengthening (which I don't enjoy), but I want to do it to help keep me active and out of PT.  I don't have any interest in all those HIIT workouts - usually I've just hopped off the bike so my heart rate is already up.  I'm looking for mostly bodyweight exercises although I do have a couple lady barbells laying around that I could incorporate.

I have a hypermobile spine but tight hip flexors.  I can't do a proper pushup although I'm not sure I care.  My legs are strong. Mostly I think I need to offset the effects of a desk job.  I would also like to strengthen my back muscles/core more in case it can help stabilize my spine (I'm not really sure if that's a reasonable expectation or not) and to improve my seat on the horse.  I've been doing Pilates on the advice of an old PT but it's not really working for me. 

I've tried the sworkit app but I get annoyed with random exercises thrown at me.  I've done that 7 minute workout before and its OK but I don't really have interest in doing, say, jumping jacks, when I've just spent 90 minutes on the trainer (and then also it ignores problem areas like tight hip flexors). 

I'd love recommendations for other apps, websites, books, anything that can help me put together something simple and repeatable that will just serve to keep me healthy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #496 on: February 15, 2016, 03:26:29 PM »
Popping into this thread for the first time.  Does anyone have advice/resources for putting together a simple bodyweight routine for cross training /injury prevention purposes?

I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding guidelines here, although I can't imagine I'm in a rare situation.  I'm a cyclist who also hikes and rides horses.  I could stand to lose 10 pounds but weight loss is neither a primary nor a secondary goal.  I'm mostly just looking for a cross training routine for injury prevention purposes. 

Because I love my other activities, I don't have a lot of patience for stretching & strengthening (which I don't enjoy), but I want to do it to help keep me active and out of PT.  I don't have any interest in all those HIIT workouts - usually I've just hopped off the bike so my heart rate is already up.  I'm looking for mostly bodyweight exercises although I do have a couple lady barbells laying around that I could incorporate.

I have a hypermobile spine but tight hip flexors.  I can't do a proper pushup although I'm not sure I care.  My legs are strong. Mostly I think I need to offset the effects of a desk job.  I would also like to strengthen my back muscles/core more in case it can help stabilize my spine (I'm not really sure if that's a reasonable expectation or not) and to improve my seat on the horse.  I've been doing Pilates on the advice of an old PT but it's not really working for me. 

I've tried the sworkit app but I get annoyed with random exercises thrown at me.  I've done that 7 minute workout before and its OK but I don't really have interest in doing, say, jumping jacks, when I've just spent 90 minutes on the trainer (and then also it ignores problem areas like tight hip flexors). 

I'd love recommendations for other apps, websites, books, anything that can help me put together something simple and repeatable that will just serve to keep me healthy.

If I'm reading right, it sounds like you're looking for injury prevention, which to me says mobility work. I have found mobilityWOD https://www.youtube.com/user/sanfranciscocrossfitto be a wonderful resource, also gymnasticsWOD . MobilityWOD is by a PT, but gymnasticsWOD https://www.youtube.com/user/nakaathletics has a lot on body positioning that has changed how I approach basic movement. Good to be had with both.
(What the hell, gymnasticsWOD rebranded it as "freestyle connection". Whatever, same dude)

You mentioned tight hips- I deal with hyperlordosis, and have found the "Agile Eight" quite helpful. Pretty quick to do, too. https://www.t-nation.com/training/defranco-agile-8 Not sure exactly what you mean by tight hips though, so may not be exactly what you're looking for.

Hope one of those resources helps, and welcome to the thread!

jordanread

« Reply #497 on: February 15, 2016, 03:32:48 PM »

Hey F2C, welcome to the thread. I, obviously, love the convict conditioning thing, but I can admit that it can get a bit boring, even though the results are pretty good. Especially considering the slowness of the exercises. To that end, I've chatted with Neila Ray (who is not a mustachian as far as I know), and found that with a touch of imagination, one can make her Hero's Journey pretty fun. Have you tried that? I know Bakari has talked about the video based workouts (and can comment on the crazy amounts of them that I've tried/have), I've found Shaun T's Insanity to be pretty awesome, fun and hard. Hip flexors are a bitch, and I've had some temporary issues with them, but my limited experience with Kettlebell swings tells me they are working them(or I have really bad form).

That being said, what have you tried already?

Also, I'm assuming that when you say 'injury prevention', you don't have any injuries, and want to build muscles to protect your joints. Is that correct?

And while typing this, Bracken_Joy also offered some kickass advice!! I've watched the mobilityWOD folks (mentioned in the resource post I think), and love the focus (as I'm sure you do) on real life and functional 'training'.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #498 on: February 15, 2016, 03:43:25 PM »
I can't work out on an empty stomach -- I would get lightheaded and most likely pass out on the treadmill, which would not be pretty.  I have low blood pressure/low blood sugar and passing out is something that comes naturally to me.

Made this mistake today (And I also have lower blood pressure). I was off work, so I decided to go to the gym about an hour after I woke up instead of in the afternoon when I'd normally get off.  All I had was half a protein shake an hour before, and twice while working out I got lightheaded.  I was also unable to finish my third set of deadlifts, which has never happened before. 

I was definitely lacking the usual energy I have.  Live and learn I guess. I'm going to stick with the afternoon route with a 600-800 calorie lunch a couple hours before.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #499 on: February 15, 2016, 04:14:54 PM »

I really like this resource, you might find some interesting ideas:
http://www.nerdfitness.com/bodyweight-training-resources/

Essentially rows, inverted rows and/or pull-ups are what you need for you back (I love deadlifts too...) and the push-up is the quintessential upper body exercise(tons of variations based on ability and you can work your way up through progressions). Squats and lunges are great for the lower body, but if you're already happy there then feel free to skip.