Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402431 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #250 on: January 11, 2016, 09:46:20 AM »
Apparently, shoot the duck doesn't translate as well to pistol squat- tried it this morning at the gym. My form is good but flat-footed it's a bit shaky getting up more than once or twice if I get all the way down. [...]
Pistol squat gives me something new to aim for :-)

So you can do at least one pistol on each leg? And you start getting shaky after 1 or 2? It might be translating better than you think, even if you can't do as many. That's not an easy move.

Oh, and for Sailor Sam, check out the squat progressions in the goal description post under Convict Conditioning. Some of the steps leading up to step 10 (the pistol), might help you go ass to grass.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2016, 09:53:04 AM »
Apparently, shoot the duck doesn't translate as well to pistol squat- tried it this morning at the gym. My form is good but flat-footed it's a bit shaky getting up more than once or twice if I get all the way down. [...]

So you can do at least one pistol on each leg? And you start getting shaky after 1 or 2? It might be translating better than you think, even if you can't do as many. That's not an easy move.

Oh, and for Sailor Sam, check out the squat progressions in the goal description post under Convict Conditioning. Some of the steps leading up to step 10 (the pistol), might help you go ass to grass.

Oh nice! That squat progression is nice. I could only do a set of 2 on both sides without wanting a light hand-assist to get up. Can aim for a set of 10.

jordanread

« Reply #252 on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:48 AM »

Oh nice! That squat progression is nice. I could only do a set of 2 on both sides without wanting a light hand-assist to get up. Can aim for a set of 10.

Yeah, I love the progressions on all of them. I don't know that you are necessarily the target audience (even though it'd be helpful for anyone) since you are obviously kicking ass already, but if your knee gets shaky after the second rep (as opposed to the actual muscle), those progressions would be super helpful.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #253 on: January 11, 2016, 10:08:35 AM »
I've got you added to the tracking post. And since I remembered typing your name last year (because what I thought it was was wrong), I'd ask you and everyone else who participated last year how the goals went last year? This year I plan to do a recap of the year, but for now, I'm just mostly curious.

From 2015:
Cromacster
  • 415lb Backsquat: Hit 400
  • 500lb Deadlift: Hit 460
  • 300lb Clean and Jerk: Hit 285
  • Lift 3X/week:Maintained through October
  • Cardio 1-2X/week: Maintained through October
  • 30 minutes/day of flexibility workMaintained relatively consistent.  Probably hit 3-4 days in a week.

I ended the year sidelined by injuries to my hip and back.  These are mostly related to posture and technique which I am now working on correcting.  I slacked much of the last 3 months of 2015.  The injuries affected my personal goals and I lost some motivation.  I found it hard to go to the gym when I couldn't do any of the things I enjoyed, so I avoided it.  I didn't have enough discipline to do the things I could do outside of the gym.  Also didn't do a good job to taper off the amount I was eating to match my workload.  So some extra weight packed on.

For 2016 I have refocused myself a bit.  I've started lifting again.  The injuries have healed and I am working to improve my posture and mobility issues.  I am mostly doing crossfit workouts and just enjoying working out with my friends again.  I am squatting again which makes me happy.  Nothing heavy yet, but a lot of tempo and pause work.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #254 on: January 11, 2016, 10:27:35 AM »
This is a somewhat devious thought, but maybe you can deliberately engineer a few more weekend snowshoeing bustups like this to convince Lady Snow that she needs to FIRE with you sooner rather than later -- I bet there is no problem parking on a Monday morning!

Yeah, LWTG also said as much a few posts earlier...just wait until I go down to the Baja in March without her...that will likely twist the knife again. At some point, she will be DONE  - and we can showshoe on empty trails mid-week to our hearts content. :)

Okay then...week 1 of 52 for 2016.

Monday: 10 mile stationary bike, 400 calories. Weights: shoulders, chest, triceps, traps.
Tuesday: 3 mile treadmill walk, 250 calories. Weights: legs, abs, lower back.
Wednesday: 13 mile stationary bike, 550 calories. Weights: arms, upper/middle back, lats.
Thursday: 5k walk (carrying 30 pounds for 2.5k), 300 calories.
Friday: 5.1k run, 350 calories (27:50 min)
Saturday: 7k walk (carrying 20 pounds for 3.5k)
Sunday: 10.3k river walk, 475 calories. (was supposed to be 5k snowshoe, dangit!)

Looking at this, the thing I don't like is how ALL my strength training stuff is shoehorned into the first three days of the week. In my defence, I did this because I was coming off an extended break from the holiday season and I was JONESING to get lifting again. I remembered all too well how much progress I had lost when I was in Mexico for a month with no lifting. Week 2 will feature a Monday, Wednesday, Friday strength session schedule with the intention of maintaining this going forward. This still might look like a fair bit of CARDIO, but it is actually considerably less than what I was doing in 2015...again, this is an attempt to bolster my strength gains for the first 3 months of this year. Everything I read on the subject suggests that excessive cardio can severely stunt muscle growth. I still feel decidedly "gangly"...genetics will probably dictate that I will never fully shake this fact, but I think I can still pack on some "beef". :) I am happy that even at this early stage, I can already feel the improved strength in my legs - it is really evident while running.

Nutrition wise, things are locked down pretty well. Today for example will begin with coffee and 4 scrambled egg whites on a piece of dry whole wheat toast. After gym, a big whey protien shake with some frozen fruit tossed in. Some raw veggies and a chicken breast in the afteroon. Cabbage soup (I made a HUGE batch of this last night - this is NOT sexy food. Ample amounts of hot sauce are needed for me to feel any enthusiasm towards it) for dinner with Lady Snow.

I'm leaving for the gym in about an hour...I fully expect it to be quite a bit less busy than last week as the New Year's resolution crowd begins to thin out. ;)

Last night, I found myself thinking about the reasons why I am doing all this. It is definitely some sort of combination of cababliity/vanity. Not sure about the ratio though. I certainly am doing this so I can pursue some of my hobbies at the highest levels possible...but I have to be honest enough to admit that I also want to look good - I think that this is a sort of overreaction to so many years of being embarrassed to be shirtless by the pool or beach. Hmm...if forced to reveal my motivation, I'd say 70% for Cabability, 30% for Vanity/Ego/Self-esteem. Looks like I took my honesty pills this morning.:)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #255 on: January 11, 2016, 10:52:28 AM »
Week One:

Primary Goal for January - Ride bike 4x/week - Check!

Other goals that will be concentrated one later:
Stretch Daily - twice
Convict Conditioning 2x/week - none :(
Go out to eat twice/month - One down already
Average 10k steps/day - averages 5.5k even though I made it over 10k Saturday

Tracked all food and stayed in a reasonable range, however my weight did not change at all

Don't forget though- muscle is more dense than fat, and often that hides body composition changes. Measuring at key points is often far more telling than weight changes. Also, because weight is far more subject to hydration shifts, while measurements (particularly the upper thighs and butt) aren't.

jordanread

« Reply #256 on: January 11, 2016, 11:40:47 AM »
[...]
Last night, I found myself thinking about the reasons why I am doing all this. It is definitely some sort of combination of cababliity/vanity. Not sure about the ratio though. I certainly am doing this so I can pursue some of my hobbies at the highest levels possible...but I have to be honest enough to admit that I also want to look good - I think that this is a sort of overreaction to so many years of being embarrassed to be shirtless by the pool or beach. Hmm...if forced to reveal my motivation, I'd say 70% for Cabability, 30% for Vanity/Ego/Self-esteem. Looks like I took my honesty pills this morning.:)

Kick ass first week!!! But of course, I expected nothing less. I've heard some similar things regarding cardio vs. strength/bulking up, but not at the levels it seems you're talking about. The stuff that I read about a while back was mostly regarding the way blood vessels react to different movements. I vaguely remember that it was something like blood vessels stay constricted while focusing on squats and stuff, and they open wider for more cardio based things like running (and maintain their, um...constriction levels?).

So you're currently at 30% vanity/ego/self-esteem motivation? Based on the most recent arm pic, I'd guess that a 'before' picture taken this month or last will provide enough positive feedback to where you can drop it down to 25% at least.

Oh, and while browsing last year's thread for an appropriate quote for AerynLee, I found this, from you:

Dang it, that's the one thing I wish I had done - take a "before" picture of myself before the majority of my weight came off. Might still do it, if only to monitor the progress of my "toning" phase.

It's still not too late. Also, how many people need to post 'before pictures' before you post one. You did say you were considering it.

Week One:

Primary Goal for January - Ride bike 4x/week - Check!

Awesome start!! Although you haven't joined the cycling challenge for this month yet.

I see that while I was writing this, you already responded to Bracken_Joy's comment regarding weight. As long as you don't let the daily fluctuations get you down, I don't think it's an issue. As a matter of fact, there was also this article linked about losing weight using data in the weight loss gauntlet. It's not my thing, since it's a bit too isolated for me, but I do lurk.

And here is a comment from last year that may provide additional ideas so that you don't get down on the whole weighing yourself daily thing, along with an idea:

My Strength & Fitness Goals for 2015

1.  to track my weight most days
I'll get you added when I get back home. You might want to rethink the weight every day thing, though. It fluctuates naturally, and can get some people down.

I'm ok with that.  I round out the numbers to smooth out some of the fluctuation but I'm not too concerned when I'm up a day or 3 and when I am up it motivates me to cut back a bit more.

Also, I am a bit of a sneaky son of a bitch, so smilla will get notified of this hopefully, and join in.

jordanread

« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2016, 11:52:12 AM »
I'm not sure if anyone here has done Ironstrength for runners. It's a lot of bodyweight/movement/dumb bell work. It kicked my butt and I was not able to finish everything to the level he asked, but I plan to continue and work up to it. You can check it out here if interested: http://drjordanmetzl.com/ironstrength-workout/

I didn't look through it all, since I'm not a runner, but I did add this link to the resource post. Thank you!!

jordanread

« Reply #258 on: January 11, 2016, 12:21:38 PM »
I didn't join because I'm not riding outside. I can't even track distance "ridden" because my odo is connected to the front tire which isn't moving inside. I do need to invest in some cold weather gear so I can ride outside but I'm trying to resist spending too much money before I know I'll end up putting it to good use.
[...]

Thanks for the link. I might have to steal his spreadsheet. As much as I'm an excel fanatic I haven't done a daily tracking yet. I am able to keep from getting down about daily fluctuations because I've seen them fluctuate all over the place. It makes me think about what I'd done in the last day or two; eat too much sodium? drink soda? when did I poop last? And if I keep it up every day it is a motivation to keep doing better. When I ignore the scale is when my weight goes up

Fair enough, on all counts.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #259 on: January 11, 2016, 02:48:21 PM »
The skinny wimpy girly arms...

I dont think I'm buying this anymore...

;)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #260 on: January 11, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »
Well I didn't *think* I was sore today. And then I did this yoga sequence: https://youtu.be/wMd3XN1KZ3A At the first "extend arms above your head" I knew I was in trouble, haha. Haven't struggled that much with yoga in a while!

Also helped when the dog came up while I was in downward dog, licked my face, did the downward dog herself, then flopped in between my arms. Useful animal.

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #261 on: January 11, 2016, 06:30:00 PM »
So far have been to the gym 6 times this year.

Have been doing the c210k app, and have finished week 3 (started this over Christmas) so hopefully in another 10 weeks I will be able to run the 10k!

SaskyStache

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #262 on: January 11, 2016, 10:28:36 PM »
Aim to run one half marathon in 1h50min, and run the best beer booth at the Queen City Marathon.

jordanread

« Reply #263 on: January 12, 2016, 09:16:27 AM »
Also helped when the dog came up while I was in downward dog, licked my face, did the downward dog herself, then flopped in between my arms. Useful animal.

That is an amazing mental image. Dogs are great for working out. One of mine got a tendon sliced by some douche when he was young, and I can actually play at the park and run him into the ground!! The other one has a reservoir of energy that I can't compete with, although I try.

jordanread

« Reply #264 on: January 12, 2016, 11:51:33 AM »
Aim to run one half marathon in 1h50min, and run the best beer booth at the Queen City Marathon.

I've got you added to the tracking post. Welcome.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #265 on: January 12, 2016, 02:52:41 PM »
Went snowshoeing! Did 6 miles in 2 hours, which is way faster than we thought it would go.

We did Trillium Lake, which during the summer looks like this:

But instead today looked like the image attached. Still, it was lots of fun and I'm glad I'm not completely out of hiking shape, since the last hike I took was before Thanksgiving!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #266 on: January 12, 2016, 09:56:20 PM »
I finally got around to starting Convict Conditioning. The very first level of the handstand pushup is just holding a headstand for 30 seconds. I made it maybe 20 seconds before I felt I had to stop because of my neck. I'm sure some of that is the fact I have an extra 40ish pounds that need gone. But I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to do headstands correctly without damaging your neck

Hi, it depends on your handstand method but the general idea is to hold the weight on your arms and shoulders not your neck at all. When I do them, I focus on keeping my shoulder-blades down my back and away from my ears. Easiest way I've found is to pretend I am pushing my hands or forearms down and into the ground - you should be able to lift yourself so there is a gap between your head and the ground. It can also help to focus on keeping your legs strong - toes back and trying to keep your inner ankle bones touching.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #267 on: January 13, 2016, 09:14:17 AM »
I finally got around to starting Convict Conditioning. The very first level of the handstand pushup is just holding a headstand for 30 seconds. I made it maybe 20 seconds before I felt I had to stop because of my neck. I'm sure some of that is the fact I have an extra 40ish pounds that need gone. But I was wondering if anyone had suggestions on how to do headstands correctly without damaging your neck

Hi, it depends on your handstand method but the general idea is to hold the weight on your arms and shoulders not your neck at all. When I do them, I focus on keeping my shoulder-blades down my back and away from my ears. Easiest way I've found is to pretend I am pushing my hands or forearms down and into the ground - you should be able to lift yourself so there is a gap between your head and the ground. It can also help to focus on keeping your legs strong - toes back and trying to keep your inner ankle bones touching.

When I first learned to do headstands, I learned to do them in two ways: 1) against the wall like this and 2) half-piked like this:

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #268 on: January 13, 2016, 11:12:34 AM »

You can also try a forearm supported headstand, like the picture. It stabilizes you, and adds some support at the crown of your head. It might take some pressure off you neck.

You could also start at a lower level than convict conditioning uses. Nothin' saying you can't headstand for 10 sec, and work from there. Every body is different, after all.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #269 on: January 13, 2016, 11:30:51 AM »
Turns out Lady Snow can damn near do a full pistol squat.

Not sure if I have mentioned this before, but we are kind of competitive with one another...and she exhibited considerable GLEE that I could not not even remotely my own pistol squat. it's not verbalized a lot, but the undercurrent of it is always there, under the surface. She mentioned in passing that she might want to join me for a few weight sessions this year...I know she is noticing (and appreciating) some of the positive changes in my physique...and I think she wants to try and join in on the fun. For the past 7 years, her fitness level has simply put mine to shame (and I felt no little shame of my own over this). I think a case could be made now that I have surpassed her in certain areas of fitness (but not lower body strength and flexibility apparently), and she is showing signs she wants to close this gap.

+1 to "spousal competition" as an additional training tool. :)

And Spartana: I saw that you threw down the gauntlet in terms of the "arms race". Will get back to you on that. ;)

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #270 on: January 13, 2016, 01:10:59 PM »
Cut :23 off my 3 mile time on the treadmill this morning, coming in at 33:02.  I felt like I was going to puke a couple of times, but kept going.  Only 3:02 left to cut to meet my original goal.  Well, maybe a few seconds more because I think I set my original goal at 5k, which is 3.1 miles.  Anyway, I think I probably need to focus on smaller incremental gains, so that I don't overdo it and injure myself and/or end up puking all over the treadmill.    So maybe reducing by just :10 per week?  That would get me to around 32 minutes by the end of February,  31 minutes by early April, and my target of 30 minutes by late May.  I'd be pretty happy with that level of progress, actually.

Hey lhamo, have you checked out any of the programs/apps designed to increase your pace? They work like the original learn-to-run programs, focusing on intervals. Instead of run/walk, you have run/run-faster. Maybe you're already using a program, but I thought I'd poke my nose in.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:55:45 PM by Sailor Sam »

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #271 on: January 13, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »
Winter has finally shown up where I live. We got our first measurable amount of snow yesterday and the temperature dropped. I stepped out for my run last night, hit my watch, and stood for a second before promptly turning around and going back in the house. I headed to the Y and ran 3 miles on the treadmill instead. I'll likely do so again tonight since the current temperature is 9 degrees with a "feels like" -2. Tomorrow and Friday are supposed to be low 40's before promptly dropping back to a high of 25 on Saturday and 16 on Sunday. Rude.

I'm posting mostly so that I do not just go home and forget about the Y, if it's posted public(ish) I'll do it.Hence the reason for joining the thread in the first place. The cold has really pulled my running motivation. And really, all my motivation for anything that does not include being huddled in a blanket on my couch with tea.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #272 on: January 13, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »
Checking in: I completed my 4 weeks of 1-per-week walks last week. However, I was then wiped out with a nasty cold and was home from work the first two days of this week. I'm going to skip the walks this week to give my poor lungs a chance to recover. Hopefully, next week I will be able to go to the roller skating rink and do two walks, but we'll see.

Maybe I'll take a "before" shot, but only if jordanread posts one first. (Or did I miss it?) It did occur to me that this would be a reasonably productive use of the selfie stick I was given for Christmas.

dogboyslim

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #273 on: January 13, 2016, 02:27:03 PM »
Relative noob to the site and just saw this.

My goals for the year include :
  • Dropping my weight to < 200 lbs (235 on 1/1)
  • increase my 1 hr ftp to 220 watts (10% increase) by 9/1
  • Complete half ironman in July within official time
  • Complete ironman in September within official time

To do this, I'm following a plan that has 1 rest day, a cycle/swim day, a run day, a cycle/run day, a cycle swim day, a long cycle day and a long run/swim day.

As of 1/13: I'm down to 226 lbs, following a diet that is avoiding processed sugars and limits non veggie/fruit carbs to pre-workout and mornings.  I was concerned with the rapid weight loss, but my workout quality has not yet suffered.

Things I'm still needing to improve, morning workouts.  I do my workouts after work, and with the two items, I need to split them up more.

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #274 on: January 13, 2016, 03:04:24 PM »

Convict Conditioning has a specific progression and it starts with a headstand, otherwise I'd be staying off my neck.

When I first learned to do headstands, I learned to do them in two ways: 1) against the wall like this and 2) half-piked like this:
(picture)
I'm at work so I can't watch the video yet but the half-piked picture looks like a perfect way to move weight off my neck/head. I used to do this a a kid but had forgotten about it, I'll have to try it again. Thanks!

Hey not suggesting you don't do the head stand but these are ways to think about your body positioning that help to train correct posture and reduce the chance of injuries so that you can build up to the full times.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #275 on: January 13, 2016, 04:46:19 PM »
I don't use a program, but kind of wing it with my own interval-type approach.  Today I ran mostly at 5.5 mph -- got to about 20 minutes before I was feeling like puking the first time, so stepped it down to 5.0 and then worked my way back up to 5.5, then back down to 5.0 and kicked it up by .1 intervals in the last 10 minutes until I got to 6.5 (in the last 30 seconds -- can't sustain that pace yet).

I will probably go back to using the Hal Higdon system, which has worked for me in the past.  I did the beginner level 5k training program last fall.  I should step it up to the intermediate level now, I guess.

The interval approach really helped me with getting me to breathe and recover better. I didnt see noticible time improvement until I added strength training.

I dont know what time, tools, or desire for strength training, but I'm sure we'd be able to help if you want!

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #276 on: January 13, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »

Convict Conditioning has a specific progression and it starts with a headstand, otherwise I'd be staying off my neck.

Hey not suggesting you don't do the head stand but these are ways to think about your body positioning that help to train correct posture and reduce the chance of injuries so that you can build up to the full times.
Sorry, I think I mis-read your first post. As for holding the weight on my arms instead of my head/neck...I'd love to but I am incredibly weak in my upper body (as much as it hurts my pride to admit that). I did try to yesterday but it didn't help much :( Definitely something for me to work on, and carefully to avoid injury

For handstands, I put my feet on a bench or box or couch to get upside down but it's not my entire bodyweight. That may be a good spot for you as you work out hand and head positioning.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #277 on: January 14, 2016, 04:52:08 AM »
I did a good solid 10 minutes on my rebounder yesterday.  Starting slowly but surely.  I know it wasnt much but I sure can feel it.  I got off track these last few days but I am back. I need to start exercising in the morning. I am not the most energetic in the morning but know at least I will get it in.

Some of you are so inspiring.  I am going to check out the convict conditioning. I think I have been living under a rock.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #278 on: January 14, 2016, 08:58:07 AM »
This morning was my last class on the cheap trial at Fancy-5-Block-Away-Gym. I feel a great loss. Don't think I can justify $88/month when I can get a perfectly nice gym 3 miles away for $19/month. But I'm still sad about it. I liked that place. And I enjoyed having someone yell at me telling me what to do at 6AM instead of having to figure it out myself.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 09:00:02 AM by monstermonster »

jordanread

« Reply #279 on: January 14, 2016, 09:41:46 AM »
Checking in: I completed my 4 weeks of 1-per-week walks last week. However, I was then wiped out with a nasty cold and was home from work the first two days of this week. I'm going to skip the walks this week to give my poor lungs a chance to recover. Hopefully, next week I will be able to go to the roller skating rink and do two walks, but we'll see.

Maybe I'll take a "before" shot, but only if jordanread posts one first. (Or did I miss it?) It did occur to me that this would be a reasonably productive use of the selfie stick I was given for Christmas.

I did. There were some issues based on changes syncing, so sometimes the image would go wonky, but I think it's all good now. Here is the post with my "before" picture.

You've gotten a lot advice and guidance so far, so I figured I'd throw in my $.02. I also have trouble with the headstands, and it's all based on weak ass neck muscles. For me, I'm just trying to push through the time limits as long as I can maintain form. However, after reading a few different articles about people struggling with it, I found something that pointed me to Convict Conditioning 2. There is an actual entire section in there based on neck strength. I'll paste a few different excerpts on the first step (wrestler bridges), along with some things from throughout that section.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #280 on: January 14, 2016, 12:46:28 PM »
This morning was my last class on the cheap trial at Fancy-5-Block-Away-Gym. I feel a great loss. Don't think I can justify $88/month when I can get a perfectly nice gym 3 miles away for $19/month. But I'm still sad about it. I liked that place. And I enjoyed having someone yell at me telling me what to do at 6AM instead of having to figure it out myself.

Are there other places in your budget where you could cut back a bit to make up the difference, and keep going to the more expensive gym?  Finding a place that works for you can be hard.  Personally I'd probably cut back elsewhere to make up for the cost, and consider it an investment in my health and well being.
I wish. I have a pretty bare-bones spending budget because of my glamourous nonprofit income and saving 50% of my income. The only place with some wiggle room is my savings for a trip on the trans-siberian railway next year (which I consider spending so it comes out of my spending paycheck) and my bar budget ($40/month), which still wouldn't make up the difference. Bar budget is a bit of a professional/domestic bliss necessity. $88/month is 3% of my take-home income and 6% of my spending.

Am considering maybe just doing to gym in the bad-weather months when it's impossible to run outside safely weekdays (it's pitch black when I leave for & get home from work and I have the running coordination of a 2-year-old). That could bring it down to $30/month when annualized.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #281 on: January 14, 2016, 12:48:15 PM »
In other news, I dropped my phone while getting it out of my purse in the parking lot and shattered the screen.   So this was kind of an expensive workout....
Aww, sorry to hear that :( Do you have a warranty/insurance/applecare or are you too mustachian for that nonsense?

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #282 on: January 14, 2016, 02:19:32 PM »

I did. There were some issues based on changes syncing, so sometimes the image would go wonky, but I think it's all good now. Here is the post with my "before" picture.

But but but...it's not there anymore - unless you are the girl in the FIRE unitard that is :-)!

Oh, I remember that post now--I could never see it, and I went back and forth between thinking it's my work internet and thinking it's the picture... now I don't know what to think! Either way, though, the picture shows up as a broken link to me.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #283 on: January 14, 2016, 02:43:07 PM »
OK guys, we have a breakthrough.  It was a beautiful sunny morning so I threw caution to the wind and decided to try running outside again.  In the cold.  Couldn't manage a sustained 3 miles (my nose was running too much and I needed to take breaks)...

In bummer news, I dropped my phone while getting it out of my purse in the parking lot and shattered the screen.   So this was kind of an expensive workout....

It appears that LS and yourself have something in common...when she runs/hikes outside in the cold or damp she becomes a SNOT FACTORY...though perhaps you are just  limited to "severe dripping" - LS would LOVE to have your problem if that's the case. ;) I prefer running outside over the gym treadmill, not only because I do not suffer from this nasal issue, but because my gym is right next to a swimming pool. The damn CHLORINE FUMES are horrendous, and when I'm doing extreme cardio stuff I start to feel woozy from it...I sometimes wonder if I'm doing damage to myself in there. To make it worse, the gym is on a platform ABOVE the pool and various hot tubs...so the fumes are probably rising and concentrating in the gym area. Just great. I'd consider relocating to another one, but it is good value and it is literally a block away.

Congrats on the run...when I went into the gym this morning is was cloudy and gray...when I emerged it was to brilliant sunshine...love that. Bummer is an understatement on the phone. Been there a few times myself. :(

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #284 on: January 14, 2016, 04:37:07 PM »
OK guys, we have a breakthrough.  It was a beautiful sunny morning so I threw caution to the wind and decided to try running outside again.  In the cold.  Couldn't manage a sustained 3 miles (my nose was running too much and I needed to take breaks), but I did the following:

It's so freaking nice today! I hiked up to the top of 65th & 35th on View Ridge, just to stare open mouthed at the Cascades. All that fluffy snow, and my knee is still to fuckered up to ski :(

Did you know that the reason your nose runs in the cold is because your cillia are frozen, and can't wave the snot back up against gravity? True story. Scouts honour.

jordanread

« Reply #285 on: January 15, 2016, 05:12:54 AM »
[...](it's pitch black when I leave for & get home from work and I have the running coordination of a 2-year-old)[...]

But a well lit up 2 year old?

Oh, I remember that post now--I could never see it, and I went back and forth between thinking it's my work internet and thinking it's the picture... now I don't know what to think! Either way, though, the picture shows up as a broken link to me.

Yeah, this is the only link I've had issues with, and I think it's because I tried to resize it after it had already been auto backed up. I was trying to match Zikoris' pose and resolution. Here is a non-embedded image. I might do another standard pose similar to last year's too.

I love chlorine :)    Granted, my last three community pools have relied on some salt, to reduce chlorine. But hours after my swim (and post-swim shower) on Monday, I was sniffing my skin in front of someone and saying, "Mmmmmm...thank you, Chlorine, for continuing to relax me even hours after the swim..." The funny thing is, I'm quite sensitive to some chemicals/chemical smells, just not that one. Can't wait to get in there tomorrow!!

It's interesting that you are sensitive to some chemicals but like chlorine. Most people I've met are the opposite of that.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #286 on: January 15, 2016, 05:46:10 AM »
The skinny wimpy girly arms...

I dont think I'm buying this anymore...

;)
Well I am more Olive Oyl these days and less Ronda Rousey :-)! Here's a current before shot of my arm (more arm porn :-)!!) - will see what I can do to build them up in next 3 weeks or so while I will be off line. Here's a before-before shot of arms when I played more volley ball. (sorry all blurry from extreme cropping and crappy cell phone camera). Now Jon Snow I've showed you mine so your turn ;)

4-6 rep EZ-bar curls, heaviest weight you can muster for at least 4 reps.

Arms are showing some good definition so all you need is more muscle.  Is that a front lat spread I'm seeing in the second pic?

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #287 on: January 15, 2016, 06:22:24 AM »
Just a reminder this morning to be aware if you are being active outside, especially in the dark. I almost hit a runner in my neighborhood this morning. We do not have sidewalks and the neighborhood is not well lit, but she was running toward traffic as she should. There was a car coming at toward me and in the glare of their lights, I never saw the runner until my window was past their headlights. It was almost too late. If she hadn't jumped in the grass, I would have hit her. As the driver, I was not distracted at the time (not on my phone, not fiddling with the radio, etc.) and going under the sleep limit, I just didn't see her. I'm a little shaken by the close call, so I'm sure she is also (I wish now I had stopped).

I've been that runner jumping in the ditch. I know that we all know this stuff, but it bears repeating at times as a reminder. Run/walk against traffic when sidewalks are unavailable. Wear reflective gear (I've had this vest: http://www.amazon.com/Tuvizo-Reflective-Vest-High-Visibility/dp/B00LW487IU for about a year, I like it and it's reasonably priced as it is frequently on sale). Wear lights. There are a ton of great options out there today. Even without wearable lights, carry a flashlight that you can turn on if cars are coming. Wear bright clothing. Even without reflective pieces, seeing someone in bright orange is easier than all black (side note: what is up with running companies making so much winter outer gear in black? Do they want us to be ninjas? Don't they know people have to run in the dark?).

Just be safe.

jordanread

« Reply #288 on: January 15, 2016, 09:04:59 AM »
Here[/url] is a non-embedded image. I might do another standard pose similar to last year's too.

That's you?!? ohmygoodness, you're so cute and funny! :)

I'm glad the excrutiating pain on my face brought you joy.

Also, because I just recently saw this video in another thread, and I want Bakari to join in (I posted a link to his blog when replying to scrubbyfish), and it's even related to fitness, here it is:

https://youtu.be/MkoI_8l60Ag

jordanread

« Reply #289 on: January 15, 2016, 09:47:38 AM »
Just a reminder this morning to be aware if you are being active outside, especially in the dark. I almost hit a runner in my neighborhood this morning. We do not have sidewalks and the neighborhood is not well lit, but she was running toward traffic as she should. There was a car coming at toward me and in the glare of their lights, I never saw the runner until my window was past their headlights. It was almost too late. If she hadn't jumped in the grass, I would have hit her. As the driver, I was not distracted at the time (not on my phone, not fiddling with the radio, etc.) and going under the sleep limit, I just didn't see her. I'm a little shaken by the close call, so I'm sure she is also (I wish now I had stopped).

I've been that runner jumping in the ditch. I know that we all know this stuff, but it bears repeating at times as a reminder. Run/walk against traffic when sidewalks are unavailable. Wear reflective gear (I've had this vest: http://www.amazon.com/Tuvizo-Reflective-Vest-High-Visibility/dp/B00LW487IU for about a year, I like it and it's reasonably priced as it is frequently on sale). Wear lights. There are a ton of great options out there today. Even without wearable lights, carry a flashlight that you can turn on if cars are coming. Wear bright clothing. Even without reflective pieces, seeing someone in bright orange is easier than all black (side note: what is up with running companies making so much winter outer gear in black? Do they want us to be ninjas? Don't they know people have to run in the dark?).

Just be safe.

Good point. As mentioned below:

[...](it's pitch black when I leave for & get home from work and I have the running coordination of a 2-year-old)[...]

Actually, as far as the dark clothing goes, that's my favorite! On a bike ride in the dark a while ago, I didn't plan ahead and my lights went out. Since all of my cold weather gear (and biking gear actually) is all black, I totally felt like a ninja. I went so far as to work on a good method of mounting a sword scabbard on my bike. The instant the light went out, I realized how silent I was, and figured it would be the absolute perfect transportation for ninjas.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #290 on: January 15, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »
I realized how silent I was, and figured it would be the absolute perfect transportation for ninjas.

particularly with a coaster brake (or other roller hub), since they don't click when you coast

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #291 on: January 15, 2016, 10:29:54 AM »

Actually, as far as the dark clothing goes, that's my favorite! On a bike ride in the dark a while ago, I didn't plan ahead and my lights went out. Since all of my cold weather gear (and biking gear actually) is all black, I totally felt like a ninja. I went so far as to work on a good method of mounting a sword scabbard on my bike. The instant the light went out, I realized how silent I was, and figured it would be the absolute perfect transportation for ninjas.

My bike has germany-standard generator lights (did you know all bikes in Germany, except racing bikes exclusively for racing, must be sold with powerful installed generator lights? Once we stop seeing bikes as toys in the US, and as vehicles, maybe we'll actually work to get that kind of regulation. And maybe we'll name the regulatory agency something easier to say than Straßenverkehrszulassungsordnung).

But my human self while running? Other than a reflective striping on my running hoodie, I don't have have anything to make me stand out. This is why I don't run in the dark. Also because I trip on uneven sidewalk. Unfortunately, in the winter here the dark is 18 hours of the day in the winter. Hence the lazy.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #292 on: January 15, 2016, 11:07:07 AM »

Just be safe.

Good advice!

I just wanted to mention that I found some reflective tape in the sewing section at Wal-Mart, so it can be added to clothes you've already got. 

I wear a headlamp and make sure to point it towards cars so they see me coming down a dark street.  And I keep my black dog on the curb side and have a red flashing LED clip light to wear when it's really dark. 

Glad you avoided an accident.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #293 on: January 16, 2016, 06:29:46 AM »
Did my fourth session of hell-yoga (Bikram) today. I can now almost make it through the entire session without having a lie down. Still not all there with stability so I keep falling over.

jordanread

« Reply #294 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:27 AM »
I realized how silent I was, and figured it would be the absolute perfect transportation for ninjas.

particularly with a coaster brake (or other roller hub), since they don't click when you coast
So what goals do you want me to add for you?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #295 on: January 16, 2016, 03:19:50 PM »
If you are determined to run outside year-round in the PNW, you quickly learn how to read weather radar imagery so that you can time your runs in between bouts of precipitation. I identified such an opening this morning and quickly rounded up Lady Snow and we went for a 6k run...33 minutes. Not terribly fast, but our route had some killer hills...and we may or may not have been feeling the after effects of our Friday night red wine tradition. ;)

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #296 on: January 16, 2016, 09:54:36 PM »
Hi, I'd like to join.
My primary goal is to get from a BMI of 28.5 to a BMI of 25.  This means a drop in weight at 5'9" from 193 to 169.
In 2015 I made it from 202 to 180, back up to 193 as of this evening.  Fasting weight is about 189.

Just eating healthier, less/no carbs, some sort of weird paleo/whole30 variation, more body-movement exercises (yoga, playing with kids), a little 10lb kettlebell action while waiting for load-screens.  Looks like everybody is making good progress.  Let's keep it up!
Morning fasting weight lbs
1/1/15 189
1/5/15 186

1/16/16 185 BMI 27.3
I expect this to fluctuate as the alcohol and eating out is in full effect still this new year, canceling out all my gains (losses) from cutting out bread and rice.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #297 on: January 16, 2016, 11:21:19 PM »
Bought some good running shoes with some of the money I got for Christmas this year.  Started with a short 5 minute run today, will try to increase my time by 2 minutes every week till I get to 30 minutes.  After that I'll keep it at 30 minutes and just work on getting faster.  Combined with the Convict Conditioning strength exercises and regular bike riding, I think this will be one of my best years for fitness.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #298 on: January 17, 2016, 11:54:37 AM »
Squat: 3x3 at 95lbs
Deadlift: 2x1 at 155lbs (PR!)

Warmed up to that deadlift level, but I'm not counting that. I abandoned squats early, because I was favoring my right side pretty heavily, and when I tried to STOP veering right at the bottom, my right knee was tracking in too much. Part of work on Thursday had me twisting heavily and bearing weight on that knee for ~5 hours of my 13 hour shift, so I imagine that's why. (Yay nursing).

And now we're going hiking! It's pouring rain, but that's pretty standard for Oregon winter. I think we'll do a 5 mile hike, but it depends if that trail has reopened- it washed out last year. Very excited. DH is taking the day off masters HW/work to hang out with me.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #299 on: January 17, 2016, 02:54:54 PM »
Week 2 Check-in:

• 4 runs
  • 2 rounds of Iron Strength for Runners
  • 1 swim
  • 1 round of a short yoga video
  • Runners hit = zero

Not too bad for a very busy week work wise. Hope to add in another swim this week.

My right hip is a little off... weirdly, it came out of no where while walking to a co-workers office Friday. Sharp pain that dulled to an ache quickly. It's been aching off and on since, but I didn't feel it during my run yesterday or my swim today. Hopefully just a weird twinge that'll go away quickly.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!