Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402769 times)

Friar

• Stubble
Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #200 on: January 09, 2016, 02:16:53 AM »

Hi!

BS - back squat
FS - front squat
OHS - overhead squat

... what did you think it meant?

I think a 50lb addition to your backside would be against the goals of this MEGATHREAD. ;)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:45:25 AM by Friar »

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #201 on: January 09, 2016, 09:12:18 AM »
3rd gym session was yesterday, and boy have I been sore from not pushing myself the last 6-8 months. 

And just as I figured, the chin ups are the biggest test for me.  I'm able to do a couple with solid form, but after searching online for programs to increase reps I've taken to doing negatives (focusing on slowing the decent), and it's still fairly taxing but I'm able to grind them out, so I'm optimistic!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #202 on: January 09, 2016, 11:56:07 AM »
DW and I did our 5k (actually 5.1k, or just over 3 miles) in 28:10 yesterday. Subtract about 30 seconds for a stoplight intrusion, and let's say 27:40. This is pretty good, especially for Lady Snow who hasn't run for quite a while, though she is kicking ass and takin' names at her various exercise classes. For myself, this has me quite confident that, if I remain free of injury, I should be about to conquer my sub-25 minute 5k goal this year...especially on a flat track. Our running route yesterday had several annoying hills. :)

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #203 on: January 09, 2016, 12:09:17 PM »

Hi!

BS - back squat
FS - front squat
OHS - overhead squat

I think a 50lb addition to your backside would be against the goals of this MEGATHREAD. ;)

Haha! I already have enough trouble with pants, a 50lb addition would be a disaster!

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #204 on: January 09, 2016, 12:42:02 PM »
Nice one Mr. Snow.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #205 on: January 09, 2016, 12:43:07 PM »
DW and I did our 5k (actually 5.1k, or just over 3 miles) in 28:10 yesterday. Subtract about 30 seconds for a stoplight intrusion, and let's say 27:40. This is pretty good, especially for Lady Snow who hasn't run for quite a while, though she is kicking ass and takin' names at her various exercise classes. For myself, this has me quite confident that, if I remain free of injury, I should be about to conquer my sub-25 minute 5k goal this year...especially on a flat track. Our running route yesterday had several annoying hills. :)
You will crush that.  I've just barely broken 2:00 on the half and managed like 23:40 for the 5k.

I'm headed out for a 5 miler this afternoon.  Hope it will be better than my mid week run, which turned into a walk about half way through. 

I'm using the Crossfit BrandX WODs and modifying them to do in my basement.  Was surprised at how hard the bear crawl was, which is why I like using the WODs.  Keeps me from getting in an exercise rut. 

I'm thinking that if I can raise enough cash from selling stuff to buy a rowing machine I'll cancel my gym membership and just focus on working out at home.

jordanread

« Reply #206 on: January 09, 2016, 01:28:36 PM »

I'll join! 2014 was getting consistent with fitness, 2015 was figuring out what I liked, 2016 will be the next step.

Squat - increase 50lbs on BS (current 175), FS (current 130), OHS (current 100)

Also, we're in week 2 of 2016! Keep going!

For the love of god, please tell me that BS does not mean what I think it means. Also, I got every other goal added. I just don't know what you mean with the one I quoted.

Hi!

BS - back squat
FS - front squat
OHS - overhead squat

I don't remember what I thought it meant, I just remembered giggling when I read it, and couldn't quite figure out an acronym that fit with all of them. I've got those three goals added!

Kind of bummed that Jon and Lady Snow are blowing past me with their 5k times, but taking solace in the fact that I can get the time I do with about 30 extra lbs of fat, bashed up toes, and an injury prone hamstring. 

I DID bust it on the treadmill this morning.  Spent the better part of an hour at the max incline, and blasted through 853 calories total.  And DS has just agreed that we can walk to the mall to shop for clothes for him, so that will be more calories burned.  And I got some kind of exercise every single day this week --haven't managed that for awhile!

Don't be bummed. If it makes you feel any better, I did just over 5K the other day...took me 45:00 :) I wasn't running, but still, you kicked my ass.

Sunday night I will probably post an overview of Week 1 of my 2016 of my exercise regime.

Then it all starts again on Monday. :)

I'm going to do something similar on Monday morning. And to go with one of my earlier posts, I did want to get people thinking about real life things they want to accomplish (even if they aren't goals per se) by getting more fit. You don't need to go all crazy about it like I did and turn it into a huge post, just a list or a sentence. I'll start with something small, feel free to join in:

I want to I'm going to...

Get to a place in my life where I never have to say no to an opportunity/adventure because I question my strength and resilience. I may still say no, but it won't be because I'm too fat to try.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #207 on: January 09, 2016, 01:49:55 PM »
got my 3rd workout of the week in this morning. one week down fifty one to go. felt really good. now i need to get in the cycle challenge and the netted judo class is tuesday hopefully shit doesn't get in the way. good job everybody. Last year I had a weight lose goal that i did not achieve. this year, I am really not concerned with how much i weigh but will try and monitor my weight because it as easy as standing on the scale while I am brushing my teeth in the morning. Last time I stepped on the scale back in august 2015 I weighed 228 lbs. this morning I weighed in at 245 lbs. it was a long holiday season for me lol.

Friar

• Stubble
Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #208 on: January 09, 2016, 04:25:20 PM »
I'm trying to pay attention to the longterm. So, I want to/I'm going to: have posture, mobility, limberness, and comfort ages 44-124.

I think this is a good way of looking at it as it provides the initial motivation to start.

From then on in, like keeping a low consumption lifestyle, it takes discipline!

Personally, the long term effects of exercise such as flexibility, being able to play with future children, reducing/improving injuries, and keeping my mind sharp into old age, account for about half of the reason I exercise.

The other 50% is pure vanity!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #209 on: January 09, 2016, 04:56:35 PM »
Kind of bummed that Jon and Lady Snow are blowing past me with their 5k times, but taking solace in the fact that I can get the time I do with about 30 extra lbs of fat, bashed up toes, and an injury prone hamstring. 

Really lhamo? Didn't we all agree at the start of the thread that we are not competing with one another here? I assume there is a tongue-in-cheek-factor to your comment. I hope so.

We didn't snowshoe today...turns out neither one of us had adequate boots to wear...so we walked into to town to buy a pair for each of us...which annoyed the Mustachian in me. We walked a total of 7km today, lugging our purchases around with us. Home now. Cooking Pad Thai feast for dinner.

Snowshoeing tomorrow, probably on Cypress Mountain.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:07:52 PM by Jon_Snow »

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #210 on: January 09, 2016, 05:13:03 PM »
This injury is making for a slow start to getting back to health and fitness. However, I did manage to walk to work one day last week which I loved. (Seeing Mt. Rainier out at sunrise = great way to the start the day.) I'll be doing my "before" measurements today. The only good thing about being in this beginning place all over again is knowing that I want to get the "before" measurements and pictures so I can compare it to my awesome "after" measurements/pics.

I like jordanread's reflection on "creation in life, specifically what I want to create in my life" - that is exactly how I think of it: creating the life I wish to live. As Mary Oliver wrote in one of her poems, "what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life."

Thank you to everyone for posting - it's inspiring to be in such good company.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 05:14:38 PM by Exhale »

nnls

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #211 on: January 09, 2016, 06:14:46 PM »
They stole our bikes, I am so sad. My kid just came in with one cut lock. My long term bike that I had customized and the brand new bike I just got my kid for his 11th birthday. I am SO SAD (shaking, bawling even though I trying to stop!). I don't have a journal to post this in, and I think some of you will understand...  Have serial numbers and ids, have called police, will call pawn shops now. So sad.

oh thats horrible! hopefully they can be located

jordanread

« Reply #212 on: January 09, 2016, 07:06:23 PM »
They stole our bikes, I am so sad. My kid just came in with one cut lock. My long term bike that I had customized and the brand new bike I just got my kid for his 11th birthday. I am SO SAD (shaking, bawling even though I trying to stop!). I don't have a journal to post this in, and I think some of you will understand...  Have serial numbers and ids, have called police, will call pawn shops now. So sad.

That definitely sucks that it happened, but how cool is it that you now have this opportunity? Not only do you get to practice taking action in response to a negative event (or a thing that happened), you get to practice understanding that you took actions you needed to and don't need to stress anymore. What's done is done. Also, if I were in your shoes, I'd put on a 'wake' or something, in which you and the kid sit back with some hot apple cider (or cocoa) and remember all the awesome times you've each had on the bikes. What was your favorite trip/moment/adventure? You may gain some insight into the kid and his values, too. Also, you can start a craigslist scavenger hunt together (using different peoples' advice) looking for solid replacements. And it gets to happen at the beginning of the year, where you can use your super powers to turn this event into something to create growth, and set the super positive tone for the rest of the year. You've got this scrubby. Oh, and I know you posted it here since you don't have a journal to post this in, but don't think this gets you out of your goals.

I'm almost jealous of all the awesomeness you are going to create!!

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #213 on: January 10, 2016, 01:16:01 AM »
scrubbyfish, I'm sorry to hear about the bikes. I can relate to how you're feeling being one who has also had their bike stolen.

Are you sure you just didn't leave it at a friend's house and walk home?

Jokes aside, did you have insurance for them and would it be worth making a claim if they aren't recovered?

Longwaytogo

« Reply #214 on: January 10, 2016, 08:59:34 AM »
scrubbyfish, I'm sorry to hear about the bikes. I can relate to how you're feeling being one who has also had their bike stolen.

Are you sure you just didn't leave it at a friend's house and walk home?

Jokes aside, did you have insurance for them and would it be worth making a claim if they aren't recovered?

Ha, leave it at a friends house by mistake and walk home- Yeah the end of that MMM article pissed me off a bit as my bike was stolen for real a week or two before he wrote it. My window of my garage was completely knocked out and they got my spare bike too and my long board and some other stuff. So not only was I out $1500-$2000 of my FAVORITE possessions but I had a window to repair and the uneasiness of knowing someone was in my garage while I was sleeping ):

And unlike MMM I am in a huge debt emergency and not in the "roll with the punches" part of my journey. But as one of my fitness goals is "bike 1000 miles in 2016" I do plan to get one in the Spring somehow. No insurance for me as I have a high ($5K) deductible.

Anyway sorry to hear about your theft scrubbyfish!

On the fitness front made it out skiing yesterday but missed our Friday night P90X due to getting ski stuff out and organized. Doing a "make up" today and then back to the MWF this week.

We didn't snowshoe today...turns out neither one of us had adequate boots to wear...so we walked into to town to buy a pair for each of us...which annoyed the Mustachian in me. We walked a total of 7km today, lugging our purchases around with us. Home now. Cooking Pad Thai feast for dinner.

Did you buy snowshoes too or do you rent them? Looks like a fun activity but we don't get near enough snow around here to justify purchasing. A lot of resorts offer it but never looked tempting enough to get me to skip a day of skiing. Hope you have/had fun!!

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #215 on: January 10, 2016, 11:02:21 AM »
I didn't prevent this loss for my son[/b]. All I had had to do was look outside when I heard the truck, not assume it was the neighbour.

Try not to beat yourself up about assuming the most likely scenario. It's not your fault that they decided to steal yours and your son's bikes. The thieves are the ones in the wrong here, not you.

Besides, even if you had decided to check and then confronted them they were there to take the bikes. You'd then potentially be down not only a couple of consumable products but risk harm to yourself as well.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #216 on: January 10, 2016, 11:12:14 AM »
No insurance for me as I have a high ($5K) deductible.

Firstly, that's bad news about the garage - the lack of respect for other people's property really annoys me. Are you sure you didn't leave the window at a friends house? ;)
Secondly, $5k deductible?!? Wow, is that typical? My contents insurance has a ~£100 deductible but maybe things are different in the US on that regard.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #217 on: January 10, 2016, 11:38:58 AM »
Second workout for the year. Moving up in frequency this week, after missing 2 workouts last week with my g'ma being in the hospital.

I did pause squats then a Met-con circuit.
Warmup: pistol squats (2x each side), then air squats (10x), then bar squats (5x1)
Squat: 95lbs 3x2 warmup, 95lb pause squat 2x3 (3 sec pause)
MetCon Circuit: 4 Circuits of- Deadlift 95lb 3x, 50lb Farmer's Carries or lunge walk (my choice) driveway (500m?), push press 25lb 5x

Not sure what DH has in mind for tomorrow (he's my torturer trainer), but we're going snowshoeing on Tuesday. Very excited to try the new pair of shoes we got for xmas.

I got a picture of me in a pistol squat, if anyone wants to see... I'm pretty proud I can do them! With how messed up my mobility is in my neck/shoulders/lats, it's nice to have SOMETHING working in my body! Although I am wearing my lifting shoes in the pic, which makes the pistols easier. Can still do it without though.

Also been happy with my nutrition on my non-work days. It's hard to take veggie rich meals to work with me, so my off days I've been craving them pretty heavily. Yesterday I ate 1lb roasted broccoli with lunch, and split 1lb roasted green beans with DH for dinner. And I'm about to go and have a big-ass elk taco salad (with rice, get those carbs) for lunch. ....Although the taco salad is not at all surprising, since I'm pretty sure it comprises ~50% of my non-work diet.

jordanread

« Reply #218 on: January 10, 2016, 11:40:53 AM »
Second workout for the year. Moving up in frequency this week, after missing 2 workouts last week with my g'ma being in the hospital.

Warmup: pistol squats (2x each side), then air squats (10x), then bar squats (5x1)
MetCon Circuit: 4 Circuits of- Deadlift 95lb 3x, 50lb Farmer's Carries or lunge walk (my choice) driveway (500m?), push press 25lb 5x

Not sure what DH has in mind for tomorrow (he's my torturer trainer), but we're going snowshoeing on Tuesday. Very excited to try the new pair of shoes we got for xmas.

I got a picture of me in a pistol squat, if anyone wants to see... I'm pretty proud I can do them! With how messed up my mobility is in my neck/shoulders/lats, it's nice to have SOMETHING working in my body! Although I am wearing my lifting shoes in the pic, which makes the pistols easier. Can still do it without though.

Also been happy with my nutrition on my non-work days. It's hard to take veggie rich meals to work with me, so my off days I've been craving them pretty heavily. Yesterday I ate 1lb roasted broccoli with lunch, and split 1lb roasted green beans with DH for dinner. And I'm about to go and have a big-ass elk taco salad (with rice, get those carbs) for lunch. ....Although the taco salad is not at all surprising, since I'm pretty sure it comprises ~50% of my non-work diet.
I want to see pistol squats!!

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #219 on: January 10, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »

I want to see pistol squats!!

Me too!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #220 on: January 10, 2016, 12:39:31 PM »
Internet reference for form:

Since it's not a loaded lift, a slight rounding of the back is fine... in defense of my rounding, haha.

I'm totally "ass to grass" though, which is what makes me so happy.

Quetzal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #221 on: January 10, 2016, 02:13:17 PM »
Hi all. I've delayed posting until I recovered from a bad cold and had my positive attitude back. I'd love to join! I also welcome feedback on the achievability of the destination goals as I'm starting at the very beginning.

My thanks to jordanreads for investing the time to start and maintain this thread; the effort is certainly a significant one. My thanks, too, to spartana, llamo, Jon_Snow on this thread whom I followed in other parts of the forum last winter (I'm a foul weather forum lurker; at least last year I was). This is my first significant active participation in the forum.

Journey Goals:
  • Convict conditioning New Blood workout > 45 weeks (thanks for the examples, jordanreads!)
  • Cardio @ 80% target heart rate, 3x/week > 45 weeks
  • Sleep average 7+ hours/night weekly
  • Mindful eating and alcohol consumption 6 days/week (meaning one 'pay no mind' day OK)
Destination Goals
  • Convict conditioning, push-ups: Intermediate, Step 5
  • Convict conditioning, pull-ups: Intermediate, Step 4
  • Convict conditioning, leg raises: Beginner, Step 5
  • Convict conditioning, squats: Intermediate, Step 5
  • Reduce body fat from 28.3% to < 25%

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #222 on: January 10, 2016, 02:15:16 PM »

Hrmmmm, I just had a little temper tantrum re: pistol squats over in my journal. They seem to be haunting me. My ass is decidedly above the grass :(

Are you wearing lifting shoes? I can't quite tell in the picture. If not, daaaum lady, I'm impressed. Hell, I'm impressed even with lifting shoes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #223 on: January 10, 2016, 02:45:50 PM »

Hrmmmm, I just had a little temper tantrum re: pistol squats over in my journal. They seem to be haunting me. My ass is decidedly above the grass :(

Are you wearing lifting shoes? I can't quite tell in the picture. If not, daaaum lady, I'm impressed. Hell, I'm impressed even with lifting shoes.

My pistol attempts were actually motivated by aforementioned tantrum, funny enough! So thanks for the inspiration I guess.

I am wearing lifting shoes in the picture, but can do them totally barefoot. I'll post that picture next time =D

You'll get there though! I have no knee injury history (only thing I haven't hurt, pretty much!) so it totally isn't a fair comparison.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #224 on: January 10, 2016, 03:04:44 PM »
They're pretty damn impressive pistols!

We'll get there eventually, Sam, we'll get there.

jordanread

« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2016, 03:05:31 PM »

When I do pistol squats, I also go ass to grass. I'll have to find Sailor Sam's journal to check out that discussion. In all honesty though, I'm ass to grass because I fall over, and just sit there with one leg outstretched, for now. Can't get back up either.

Bracken_Joy gets credit for the first action shot (Zikoris, you still get credit for the before picture...not discounting your flexibility in the least), and the first potential milestone (I'll have to look in your goals to see what they are). Even if it's not one of her goals, it's one of mine, so yeah.

Hi all. I've delayed posting until I recovered from a bad cold and had my positive attitude back. I'd love to join!
Journey Goals:
[...]
Destination Goals
[...]

I've got you added to the tracking post. I am considering going back through and modifying the CC ones to actually state the workout and progression for destination goals, so if you notice I didn't put what section of the step in your goals, that is why. We are super glad to have you here! Welcome.

I also welcome feedback on the achievability of the destination goals as I'm starting at the very beginning.

My thanks to jordanreads for investing the time to start and maintain this thread; the effort is certainly a significant one. My thanks, too, to spartana, llamo, Jon_Snow on this thread whom I followed in other parts of the forum last winter (I'm a foul weather forum lurker; at least last year I was). This is my first significant active participation in the forum.

You are welcome for the effort, but it's at least partially selfish, since I get a whole lot out of this too. The only thing off the top of my head that I can think of is that the progressions standards demand perfect form before you move on (as I'm sure you know). For me, I am going to have to lose some weight before I can progress at all on squats. Step 1 is shoulderstand squats, so the muscle aspect isn't too difficult. Here is where I have issues:

Quote from: Paul Wade
Keeping your torso as upright as  possible,  bend  at  the  hips  and  knees  until  your knees touch your forehead.
Emphasis mine.

My gut is too big to reach my forehead with my knees, so I won't be progressing until I lose weight. That being said, that's the biggest hurdle I've experienced up to Step 5 on squats. But for a year goal, it should be fine as long as you don't have knee issues. Just wanted you to be aware that if you are anything like me, squats are going to progress slower. Also, there is this part on Step 1 (which is actually why I won't progress until I can do it...and it set the stage for all of the steps and demands for perfection).
Quote from: Paul Wade
At  the  first attempt, not  everybody  will  be able  to touch the  knees  to  the  forehead.  Try  to increase the depth of your  knees every workout and  your  joints will soon   loosen. The technique will be virtually impossible for people with very fat stomachs, because the paunch gets in the way. Practicing on an empty stomach will help, until you shed those excess pounds.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2016, 04:25:28 PM »
Bracken Joy...much respect. Wow.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2016, 04:32:29 PM »
Thought I'd aim for a weekly wrap up on Sundays...

• Ran 4 times
  • Did Ironstrength for Runners twice
  • Swam twice

Today was by far the best swim I have ever had. As mentioned previously, I am a poor swimmer. I only started swimming in August. I'm still trying to get comfortable in the water after YEARS of being terrified of being in anything deeper than a bathtub. It's getting better, but still a long way from being comfortable in an open water situation though.

I'm not sure if anyone here has done Ironstrength for runners. It's a lot of bodyweight/movement/dumb bell work. It kicked my butt and I was not able to finish everything to the level he asked, but I plan to continue and work up to it. You can check it out here if interested: http://drjordanmetzl.com/ironstrength-workout/

This upcoming week is one of my busiest of the year and my workout buddy (Husband) is traveling out of town for work. Goal for the week is four  runs,  Ironstrength twice, at least one swim (I have have a really hard time swimming without my husband there... its a mental/feeling comfortable thing. I need to get over it, but I doubt with the hours this week I will), and do yoga at least once. I have a few YouTube videos I like, I just got lazy with it this week!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2016, 04:38:39 PM »
Bracken... that's awesome! I tried a pistol squat all the way down once and promptly fell over. I certainly need to do some work to get that low! Much impressed!

Scrubby & Longwaytogo... that sucks about the bikes and particularly the feelings the thefts have left. Hopefully you will both be able to replace the bikes soon.

griffin

• Stubble
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2016, 04:49:45 PM »
My goal for 2016 is to hit the 1000 lb. club.  I'm already at 890 combined after a year of lifting.
I'm going for this as well. Had some knee/hip issues last year but I'm restarting a linear program now.
Starting weights for me are (5rm)
Squat: 185
DL: 225
Bench: 195
Squat and deadlift are low due to the aforementioned knee. Stretch goal is to join 1k club by may 31st, and to go from 180->200 lbs. Good luck everyone! :)

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2016, 05:05:34 PM »

Since it's not a loaded lift, a slight rounding of the back is fine... in defense of my rounding, haha.

That's so awesome! Pistols are my mobility issue. Let's combine!

jordanread

« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2016, 05:51:36 PM »
My goal for 2016 is to hit the 1000 lb. club.  I'm already at 890 combined after a year of lifting.
I'm going for this as well. Had some knee/hip issues last year but I'm restarting a linear program now.
Starting weights for me are (5rm)
Squat: 185
DL: 225
Bench: 195
Squat and deadlift are low due to the aforementioned knee. Stretch goal is to join 1k club by may 31st, and to go from 180->200 lbs. Good luck everyone! :)

I've got you added to the tracking post. I assumed you were speaking of your bodyweight when you said go from 180 to 200lbs, so I added it that way. If I misunderstood, and you meant increasing weight on specific exercises, let me know.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2016, 06:31:20 PM »
No insurance for me as I have a high ($5K) deductible.

Firstly, that's bad news about the garage - the lack of respect for other people's property really annoys me. Are you sure you didn't leave the window at a friends house? ;)
Secondly, $5k deductible?!? Wow, is that typical? My contents insurance has a ~£100 deductible but maybe things are different in the US on that regard.

No not typical, most have $500 or $1000. I'm a contractor and do my own repairs on minor stuff and figure the insurance is mainly for big loss (like fire).

Bracken... that's awesome! I tried a pistol squat all the way down once and promptly fell over. I certainly need to do some work to get that low! Much impressed!

Scrubby & Longwaytogo... that sucks about the bikes and particularly the feelings the thefts have left. Hopefully you will both be able to replace the bikes soon.

+1 - Awesome job Bracken_Joy!

Thanks, I still have a cargo bike, going to try and log some miles on that Jan/Feb.

Got our makeup P90X in from Friday today, back at it 6:00 am tomm!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #233 on: January 10, 2016, 06:39:09 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm getting really stiff already. We'll see how my proud vs sore ratio is tomorrow. Wish I had sauna access for recovery. (Seriously, anyone who goes to a gym... if you have sauna access and no health problems precluding it, go and sauna. Life changing, I swear. THE BEST. Especially on recovery days!)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #234 on: January 10, 2016, 07:57:27 PM »
Thanks everyone! I'm getting really stiff already. We'll see how my proud vs sore ratio is tomorrow. Wish I had sauna access for recovery. (Seriously, anyone who goes to a gym... if you have sauna access and no health problems precluding it, go and sauna. Life changing, I swear. THE BEST. Especially on recovery days!)

A hot epsom salt bath can do wonders for sore/stiff muscles.

Ooooh that's a great idea. I have epsom salts already! I kinda forgot our tub is a tub, as I've never used it as such... roommate and all, seems icky. I'll just clean it right before use.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #235 on: January 10, 2016, 08:17:18 PM »

In figure skating, we call that "shoot the duck". No idea why, really, but there we go. Here's a video of someone doing a "shoot the duck" on ice (albeit in a spin, which we usually call a "sit spin"). Imagine it's me, because I'm not going to the rink to get a video of me doing this ;-P

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #236 on: January 10, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »

Did you buy snowshoes too or do you rent them? Looks like a fun activity but we don't get near enough snow around here to justify purchasing. A lot of resorts offer it but never looked tempting enough to get me to skip a day of skiing. Hope you have/had fun!!

Well, we didn't get to snowshoeing today EITHER...more on that in a bit. We have owned our own snowshoes for many years and usually get up on the local Vancouver mountains several times a year.

We left our place at around 9am with great intentions...sun was out, the mountain (we ended up going to Seymour Mountain based on allsummerlong's suggestion) beckoned invitingly as we got closer. The trouble was, it seems that half of Vancouver had the same idea. We were stopped halfway up the mountain by the resort staff...turns out ALL the upper parking lots were completely full. Already in a line up of at least 50 cars, we were not going to wait around...pulled a U-turn and drove back down. I knew it was going to be busy...but DAMN. I was going to post some pics in my Journal of some of the views from above Vancouver - they would have been AMAZING. Serious bummer.

Instead, we went home, dropped of our gear and went for a long walk along the banks of the Fraser River...10.3k, and roughly 500 calories burned according to DW's fitness tracker.

Pretty solid start to 2016, despite the snowshoe snafu - though I already want to tweak a few things.  It's a bit late to post a Week 1 summary...tomorrow morning then.

jordanread

« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2016, 03:34:45 AM »

Damn, just read through your journal to locate said tantrum. That was so much smaller than little. :)

Well, we didn't get to snowshoeing today EITHER...more on that in a bit. We have owned our own snowshoes for many years and usually get up on the local Vancouver mountains several times a year.

We left our place at around 9am with great intentions...sun was out, the mountain (we ended up going to Seymour Mountain based on allsummerlong's suggestion) beckoned invitingly as we got closer. The trouble was, it seems that half of Vancouver had the same idea. We were stopped halfway up the mountain by the resort staff...turns out ALL the upper parking lots were completely full. Already in a line up of at least 50 cars, we were not going to wait around...pulled a U-turn and drove back down. I knew it was going to be busy...but DAMN. I was going to post some pics in my Journal of some of the views from above Vancouver - they would have been AMAZING. Serious bummer.

Instead, we went home, dropped of our gear and went for a long walk along the banks of the Fraser River...10.3k, and roughly 500 calories burned according to DW's fitness tracker.

Pretty solid start to 2016, despite the snowshoe snafu - though I already want to tweak a few things.  It's a bit late to post a Week 1 summary...tomorrow morning then.

Ever since the fire we had here that closed one of the (IMHO) inferior hiking trails, my go to spot has been ridiculously busy. Not as busy as what you experienced, but still. I don't go out into nature to be freaking social!!

I'm going to work on my weekly update, and have it posted here soon. Had an SS Journal to get caught up on, plus I started waking up and tossing and turning around 2:00am. When I do my workout in a few hours, the lack of sleep may make it an interesting start to this week. I might also push myself a bit and do something in addition to the Convict Conditioning stuff, just to ensure I am good and properly worn out.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2016, 05:00:39 AM »
I have been exercising pretty consistently, except for yesterday.  Bad.  I have been rebounding and using the kettlebell.  I do feel it in my legs and I forgot how tired it makes me feel. But, I love it.  I am going to start keeping time and reps this week.  I have only been doing about 15 or 20 mins a day and want to start pushing myself a bit now.  I didn't want to strain anything and get hurt and then have to stop so I have been starting slow.  I have never kept a journal but it is time so I can measure my progress.

I am getting excited about getting into shape.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2016, 06:04:37 AM »
11 days into the year and I have been fairly consistent!

I beat my previous best mile time by 20 seconds clocking in at 6:29 last week.

Today I did squats and deadlifts for the first time this year. Mustered 275 x 5, 5 ,5 on squats and 315 x 5, 5 ,5 on deadlift. Last week I benched and got 245 x 5, 5, 5 so that is my "starting point" for the big 3!

This Saturday I have a 10 miles "race" which is really a Brewery run where I will likely jog, walk, crawl 10 miles to get 2 1/2 hours of all you can eat/drink at the after party.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #240 on: January 11, 2016, 06:08:02 AM »

Adding more fuel to Lady snow's FIRE desire? Probably a lot less crowded on a Wednesday!!

Our local ski hills get packed since they are an 1.5 drive from DC/Baltimore. We usually have to drag our kids out of bed at 7:00 and let them eat breakfast in the car to even have a chance of getting any runs in pre-lines. By 10:00-10:30 you have a 30 min wait for the bunny-hill :(  Hopefully this year at least my older daughter will graduate to some better/bigger less crowded slopes. (they are 3 and 5)

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #241 on: January 11, 2016, 06:46:17 AM »
Goals:

Drop 30lbs
Workout 4 days/week
Work on mobility 5 days/week by following MobilityWOD

jordanread

« Reply #242 on: January 11, 2016, 07:37:41 AM »
Check In/Progress Update

Ah, the first week of 2016 is now complete. In recap, I'm primarily doing the 'Good Behavior' Convict Conditioning workout. This means that my main schedule is as follows: Mondays - push ups and leg raises; Wednesdays - pull ups and squats;Fridays - handstand push ups and bridges. I used to use my bike commute as a warm up, and it worked well when I still had an office. Since that is no longer the case, and I'm restarting at step 1, I decided a quick walk/jog for a couple of miles around the lake by my house would be a nice habit to get into. Hurrying it up and doing some simple 'just out of bed' stretches has been my warm up this past week, and it's worked well. One of the best things I've done so far was break down my understanding of different goal types. While they were pretty obvious, adding verbiage to them actually made them easier for me to stick to (at least so far). It also made things a bit more clear when explaining my goals to the other half, which has led to increased support from that arena as well.

All in all, it's been a pretty great 1st week. I was able to consistently perform my workouts, and I was able to start creating the mindset I talked about earlier. Enjoying the workout for it's own sake, maintaining awareness of how my body and how my muscles feel. While I'm working out, I don't even get down on myself for letting myself get this out of shape. There were a couple of moments later in the weekend where I wished it were possible to just skip to the part where I've got a solid strength base, and can accomplish the harder and more fun things already, but it passed relatively quickly, and then increased my desire to build a super solid foundation so that I can do these more advanced things easier. So yeah, I'm digging the journey, which is already a huge improvement over last year.

I've mentioned before that one of the things I liked about the CC program was the slow progressions and the focus on foundational strength. In case you haven't looked at the links in the goal description post, each of the 10 steps of the 6 exercises contains 3 levels of progression: Beginner, Intermediate, and Progression standards. What I've been doing, and what I was planning on continuing to do, was focus on each step of the progression standards. As an example, the standards for step 1 of push ups are as follows:
  • Beginner - 1 set/10
  • Intermediate - 2 sets/25
  • Progression - 3 sets/50
So this past Monday, I did 1 set/10 wall push ups after my warm up. What I'm going to do moving forward is shoot for the progression standard on each workout. I will still spend at least 3 weeks on each step, even if that means I complete the progression standards 3x (foundation and all) with a focus on perfect form. I think that will add a bit of a challenge, and a bit quicker results, without losing any of the downside. While doing research on bodyweight training and injuries, I've found that injuries occur (at worse) right after one loses form. Since I stop the set the second my form becomes less than perfect, I've decided that upping the intensity of these workouts will, if at all, only nominally increase any risk of injury. It's time for week two!!!

Goals:
[...]

I've got you added to the tracking post. And since I remembered typing your name last year (because what I thought it was was wrong), I'd ask you and everyone else who participated last year how the goals went last year? This year I plan to do a recap of the year, but for now, I'm just mostly curious.

jordanread

« Reply #243 on: January 11, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »
[...]I'm totally "ass to grass" though, which is what makes me so happy.

In figure skating, we call that "shoot the duck". No idea why, really, but there we go. Here's a video of someone doing a "shoot the duck" on ice (albeit in a spin, which we usually call a "sit spin"). Imagine it's me, because I'm not going to the rink to get a video of me doing this ;-P

I've seen that move before, but didn't know what it was called. So you can do them on the ice? That's freaking awesome. How does that translate to doing hard ground stationary pistol squats? I'd almost think that the momentum on skates would make it a bit easier, but there isn't any forward movement (at least in that video), so I'm not certain. Have you tried doing pistols?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #244 on: January 11, 2016, 09:03:28 AM »

I've seen that move before, but didn't know what it was called. So you can do them on the ice? That's freaking awesome. How does that translate to doing hard ground stationary pistol squats? I'd almost think that the momentum on skates would make it a bit easier, but there isn't any forward movement (at least in that video), so I'm not certain. Have you tried doing pistols?

I do know that, based on my two experiences ice skating, me attempting that would be potentially lethal. Me ice skating: Step, scoot, BAM. Owwww.

Do you ice skate? I wasn't sure if your goals were related to ice skating or not, since I just looked on the tracking goals post.

jordanread

« Reply #245 on: January 11, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »

I do know that, based on my two experiences ice skating, me attempting that would be potentially lethal. Me ice skating: Step, scoot, BAM. Owwww.

Do you ice skate? I wasn't sure if your goals were related to ice skating or not, since I just looked on the tracking goals post.

I'm most certainly not making any goals as far as ice skating goes. You attempting that move would be potentially lethal, me attempting that move would be certainly lethal (although probably to someone else).
Unless you were referring to monstermonster, but looking at the goals there, it doesn't look like skating goals...unless the splits thing is for on ice limbo, which would be awesome and wince-worthy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #246 on: January 11, 2016, 09:15:12 AM »

I'm most certainly not making any goals as far as ice skating goes. You attempting that move would be potentially lethal, me attempting that move would be certainly lethal (although probably to someone else).
Unless you were referring to monstermonster, but looking at the goals there, it doesn't look like skating goals...unless the splits thing is for on ice limbo, which would be awesome and wince-worthy.

If nothing else, this group has been great at expending my horizons in terms of just how many goals I *don't* have!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #247 on: January 11, 2016, 09:19:43 AM »

To be fair, I'm a seriously rusty figure skater. Haven't been competitive in 10 years, stopped coach 5 years ago, so my "shoot the duck" is now more like "shoot near the duck".

Apparently, shoot the duck doesn't translate as well to pistol squat- tried it this morning at the gym. My form is good but flat-footed it's a bit shaky getting up more than once or twice if I get all the way down. The forward motion on ice helps, but getting out of it you usually bring your foot over your head or you transition into some other fancy thing like this or this when you get out of it, it's just a transitionary move.

Pistol squat gives me something new to aim for :-)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #248 on: January 11, 2016, 09:22:44 AM »

If nothing else, this group has been great at expending my horizons in terms of just how many goals I *don't* have!

Oh no, I'm definitely not a skater anymore. But was competitive at a very high level all through my teens. I not only could do the splits back then, I could do them speeding in the air over frozen water while being thrown by a teenage boy. Oh, the fun of your youth.

My goals are more like "get in 1/4 as good of shape as you were when you spent 30 hours a week training."

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #249 on: January 11, 2016, 09:27:59 AM »

Oh no, I'm definitely not a skater anymore. But was competitive at a very high level all through my teens. I not only could do the splits back then, I could do them speeding in the air over frozen water while being thrown by a teenage boy. Oh, the fun of your youth.

My goals are more like "get in 1/4 as good of shape as you were when you spent 30 hours a week training."

Love this goal.

Maybe this should be one of mine, too: stay active enough that you wake up like a healthy person and not so stiff/creaky and making pitiful moaning noises that you alarm your husband.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!