Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402409 times)

Longwaytogo

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #100 on: January 04, 2016, 06:05:17 AM »
First gym day of 2016 for me tomorrow. Let's do this!

Yeah man!

Just finished our first morning of P90X with DW and made some egg/spinach/onion omelette afterwards while she showerd and got ready for work.

My plan is 3 days a week P90X with DW for Jan/Feb then start back to weight lifting in March. My 2 reasons for this are -

1. To help her develop her working out habit/routine

2. My weightlifting space is not heated so it's pretty cold at 6:00 am in Jan/Feb.

Also @ jordanread - I see one of your goals is to walk you slackline. I have one as well that me and my 5 year old daughter love. (she's a big Ninja Warrior/Casey Katanzaro fan so when we slackline she calls it her "ninja warrior training" ) Neither of us were able to master it in 2015 but defintley progressed. Hopefully I'll get it this year!

jordanread

« Reply #101 on: January 04, 2016, 07:16:22 AM »
Holy crap!! Take a couple of days off from keeping up on adding members, and this is what I get. Glad to have all of you here! Welcome to the gauntlet. I will have even more stuff for everyone either later today or tomorrow. Plus that little 'tool' I'm working on should be available by Wednesday.

Well this seems like a really good idea! Accountability is awesome.

I'm hella new to this whole trying to be fit game, so I'm still working out what my goals even SHOULD be. So mostly I'm posting to make sure I remember to think about this and to create goals.
Only one I have so far is: Be able to do 5 real (not chicken-up) push ups.

This is going to tie in a bit with something I'm going to write about later this week. I've previously mentioned the idea of Destination Goals, meaning where you want to be by the end of the year. What I would suggest is to figure out what you want to be able to accomplish as far as real life goes. For example: I'd like to be able to climb all 7 flights of stairs to my office without sweating/breathing heavy, or I want to be able to outrun a black bear on flat ground (fun fact: 25-30mph over short distances), or I want to be able to keep up with my kids on the playground and then carry them home (honestly, screw those little energetic humans). If you post some of that I'm sure people will chime in with suggestions as to how to accomplish it.

[...]my goals are [...]

My goals are:
[...]

Updated goals:

I'm in! 

Count me in!

I'm in

Cross-posted!

Starting this very hour!

Joining in this GAUNTLET for accountability.

I'd love to join.

Hi, I'd like to join.

Once again, I would like to thank you all for joining, and welcome you to the gauntlet. This is going to be a great year!! All goals (updated or new) have been added to the tracking post.

jordanread

« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2016, 07:21:39 AM »

Thanks for doing this.  One minor correction ... my goal 5k time is 31.5 minutes (meaning 31:30 rather than 31:05).

With as much typing has been involved so far, I can't believe that's my first screw up. I think I managed that the first day last year. :D

I got that fixed.

If everyone else (especially if I added you today) could double check your goals, it'd be much appreciated! Post here if I screwed it up, or you would prefer the wording to change.

I did make a consistent change in which any weight loss has been changed to losing the weight in fat (and weight gain is about gaining muscle). I like that verbiage better, because it's not so much about the absolute weight loss, it's about overall fitness, with the weight loss happening as we get more fit.

jordanread

« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2016, 07:50:49 AM »
I'd like to follow along for inspiration if I may.

My own goals are to work my arms more. They have become softer and weaker than I like over the last couple of months.

Hmmm...makes me think that the ER Wonder Twins (us) should get together for a session of bicep curls and tricep extensions. Bring the Barkinator. :)

Form of...FIRE?

Oh wait:

As long as they follow this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRscYVvEFt8

Form of...Unitards?

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2016, 09:44:21 AM »

My own goals are to work my arms more. They have become softer and weaker than I like over the last couple of months.

Hmmm...makes me think that the ER Wonder Twins (us) should get together for a session of bicep curls and tricep extensions. Bring the Barkinator. :)

Form of...FIRE?

Oh wait:

Form of...Unitards?

Or...

jordanread

« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2016, 09:46:24 AM »

Form of...FIRE?

Oh wait:

Form of...Unitards?

Or...

I hate you so good right now. Well played. JS/Spartana...get on this!!!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2016, 09:57:28 AM »
Oh...this thread has taken a nasty, nasty turn. ;)

In an attempt to get things back on track...I've doing a lot of reading lately related to all things fitness and nutrition. One thing in particular has me thinking about my fitness strategy for 2016. It seems to be a common theme that if you are determined to improve your strength and muscle mass too much emphasis on cardio can really hamper progress...it does dawn on me that I have probably been doing to much cardio. But, as I have dropped my overall BF% to such a degree, I am not too shook up about this fact.

I'm thinking I am going to scale back on the cardio a bit for the first few months of 2016 and see if that may improve the progress of my strength gains. Off to gym right now...

jordanread

« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2016, 10:02:24 AM »

In an attempt to get things back on track...I've doing a lot of reading lately related to all things fitness and nutrition. One thing in particular has me thinking about my fitness strategy for 2016. It seems to be a common theme that if you are determined to improve your strength and muscle mass too much emphasis on cardio can really hamper progress...it does dawn on me that I have probably been doing to much cardio. But, as I have dropped my overall BF% to such a degree, I am not too shook up about this fact.

I'm thinking I am going to scale back on the cardio a bit for the first few months of 2016 and see if that may improve the progress of my strength gains. Off to gym right now...

It was only a matter of time. :D I'm primarily commenting so I don't see the bottom half of that picture on my computer monitor though.

Are you still doing the exercise bike for cardio? And do you consider kayaking cardio (not judging, I've just never done it properly, and always had a very relaxing experience)?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2016, 10:17:17 AM »

It was only a matter of time. :D I'm primarily commenting so I don't see the bottom half of that picture on my computer monitor though.

Are you still doing the exercise bike for cardio? And do you consider kayaking cardio (not judging, I've just never done it properly, and always had a very relaxing experience)?

Yeah, stationary bike or treadmill for cardio. Many days I would do 30 minutes on each AND weight training. I think now, I'll pick one or another...and probably do some completely NO CARDIO days...weights only.

JR...during the Summer months sea kayaking becomes my default "from the waist up" workout. I personally don't consider it to be a particularly great cardio activity. On occasion I will throw in some "sprints" while I am on a long paddle, enough to get the heart rate pumping pretty good...but to me it is more useful as an upper body sculptor...shoulders, arms (upper and lower), back, abs (I tried to consciously crunch my abs with each paddlestroke). Sometimes I will even spin my boat around and paddle backwards for a while to work the chest. :)

Okay, logging off the forum. Gym. Now.

jordanread

« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2016, 10:45:28 AM »
Time for my baseline. I did these measurements based on this youtube video I found (https://youtu.be/LoL_QTatGhU) and used my Omron Fat Loss Monitor for my BF% and BMI. As I mentioned, I failed miserably last year, and am worse now than the beginning of 2015. Developing a drinking problem (that's mostly resolved) didn't help at all, nor did being unemployed for 7 months and doing remote work (which screwed my cycling mileage). That sounded like a case of excusitis, and it could be taken that way. I only look forward though, so it's more of an explanation, and things to watch out for this year.

Without further ado, here are my unflexed measurements:

MetricValue
Height5'10.5"
Weight213.4lbs
BMI30.4
Body Fat          25.9%
Neck16"
Forearm11 7/8"
Bicep13 7/8"
Shoulder50"
Chest41 1/8"
Waist42 1/4"
Hips45"
Thigh25 1/8"
Calf16 1/2"

And since Zikoris was the first to post a before picture, she gets to choose the pose (yeah, that's pain on my face, and yes: I did just make up that 'rule').

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 08:40:57 AM by jordanread »

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2016, 12:32:42 PM »
Well, I guess I have my baseline for the roller skates, and that is "not much." I tried to skate in the parking lot near me for about two minutes before I gave up. It was so cold that my eyes were watering (and I couldn't see what I was doing), and so windy that I was actually being pushed along by the wind as much as by my own muscles.

I'm going to have to practice at the indoor roller rink to build up my leg muscles and improve my balance. Then when the weather warms up I'll venture back outside, and hopefully by the time it cools down again I'll be such a badass on skates that I won't care. Another reason to go to the indoor rink is that my bike helmet is actually still at my parents' house, so I won't have it until February.

If I don't post here by, say, the 19th to say I've gone to the roller rink, feel free to pester me about it!

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2016, 12:50:04 PM »
A year ago I was possibly in the best shape I've been in my life.
Then I started a new job which took over much of my life and had me sitting most of the day.
Fastforward to today and I just discovered that I have gained 15 pounds in the past year (without really realizing it).So, I'm adding my name to this thread for accountability.

My goal is simple:
I gained 15 pounds in 2015, so I'm planning on losing 16 pounds in 2016.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2016, 01:25:24 PM »

And since Zikoris was the first to post a before picture, she gets to choose the pose (yeah, that's pain on my face, and yes: I did just make up that 'rule').

I think this should be perfect: http://imgur.com/gallery/tl3dL7h

jordanread

« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2016, 01:29:57 PM »

I think this should be perfect: http://imgur.com/gallery/tl3dL7h

Don't have a dress like that. I meant to say that by virtue of posting the first pic, we must now all mimic you. I thought I did all right (although that pose really brings out the tubbiness in me). :D

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #114 on: January 04, 2016, 01:31:16 PM »
Oh, we're turning this thing into a Mustachian splits competition? I'm game!

Your picture shows up as a broken link to me - maybe you missed a digit or something.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #115 on: January 04, 2016, 01:36:30 PM »

Your picture shows up as a broken link to me - maybe you missed a digit or something.

Yeah I'm getting a broken image as well. CENSORSHIP! Or something.

jordanread

« Reply #116 on: January 04, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »

That's what I get for trying to make it smaller. Let me try original size. The current one still shows up for me, so my guess is it's a security thing. It showing up on that post now?

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #117 on: January 04, 2016, 01:50:38 PM »
What I would suggest is to figure out what you want to be able to accomplish as far as real life goes. For example: ...I want to be able to outrun a black bear on flat ground (fun fact: 25-30mph over short distances)...

That gives a whole new angle on what one's fitness goals could be. In fact this type of goal could accommodate geographic variation. For example, in Florida, it could be outrunning alligator (don't you have to run in a zigzag pattern?).

And now I'm off to do my before photo (note to self: be first to post a "before" shot in 2017).

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #118 on: January 04, 2016, 01:51:21 PM »

That's what I get for trying to make it smaller. Let me try original size. The current one still shows up for me, so my guess is it's a security thing. It showing up on that post now?

Lol! That's awesome! It's good to see "normal" flexibility. I feel like ballet class really skews my perception and makes me feel like an iron rod of inflexibility sometimes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #119 on: January 04, 2016, 01:51:41 PM »

Oh lordy. Yep, showing up!

jordanread

« Reply #120 on: January 04, 2016, 02:24:24 PM »
[...]
And now I'm off to do my before photo (note to self: be first to post a "before" shot in 2017).

Yeah, I'm thinking about doing mine on the 12/31 this year. The whole anniversary thing screwed up my schedule, and that position was not very comfortable :).

Lol! That's awesome! It's good to see "normal" flexibility. I feel like ballet class really skews my perception and makes me feel like an iron rod of inflexibility sometimes.

I almost took offense to that (I'm not normal dammit!!), but then I realized that I am in America, and until Mexico passed us a year or two ago, we were the fattest nation. That makes sense, although I'd almost say that 'normal' is even worse. And while I don't intend to do a split challenge with you, the information that I've been reading through indicates that my flexibility should greatly improve with the body-weight stuff I'm doing currently, so we'll see how that goes. After all, I do need to do an 'after' picture. :D

LOL. That is definitely a response!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #121 on: January 04, 2016, 02:38:11 PM »
First workout for 2016, check!
(All are written as Sets x Reps)
Warmup: lunges x50, pause squat with just the bar x5
Squat: 3x3 at 95lbs, 2x1 at 135lbs (bodyweight, current 1 rep max)
Deadlift: 2x1 at 135lbs
Push press: 3x5 at 45lbs (bar weight)

ETA: I feel like I deserve props that I did a workout in our OUDOOR carport when it is 34 degrees and the snow is melting. Also, a tree branch cracked in the middle of a lift and I finished it. Proud of myself!

LOL. That is definitely a response!

Your face in it makes me feel sympathy pain =( You do not look comfortable!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 02:47:18 PM by Bracken_Joy »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #122 on: January 04, 2016, 02:43:56 PM »
Hmm...if enough folks post "before" pics in this thread, maybe I'll provide one too (though I will be cropping out my face). I have pic from my December Baja trip that would serve. It would help show what I look like at around 12% BF...I am going to try to get to 8% in 2016. Gotta tone up the middle! It's damn stubborn.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #123 on: January 04, 2016, 02:49:19 PM »
Hmm...if enough folks post "before" pics in this thread, maybe I'll provide one too (though I will be cropping out my face). I have pic from my December Baja trip that would serve. It would help show what I look like at around 12% BF...I am going to try to get to 8% in 2016. Gotta tone up the middle! It's damn stubborn.

I'm tentative on this one too. But since my goal is strength, not weight loss, I'm not sure how I could do a before photo other than me mid-lift or like... the flexing back poses you see in fitness magazines. Still undecided! I would also do a face crop, so you're not alone there.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #124 on: January 04, 2016, 02:53:59 PM »

I'm tentative on this one too. But since my goal is strength, not weight loss, I'm not sure how I could do a before photo other than me mid-lift or like... the flexing back poses you see in fitness magazines. Still undecided! I would also do a face crop, so you're not alone there.

I actually would not mind posting one also for some help/accountability of my 15% BF goal. Not really trying to go spend money on Pod Pod or anything similar. I showed my wife an online picture guide of Men's BF % and she thinks I'm around 15% now. So yeah!! Goal accomplished in 4 days, ha ah. But I think I'm more like 20%.

Maybe I'll just post both the before and after at the end of the year and maybe someone will weigh in on whether or not they think I made my goal and approximation of my  %.

jordanread

« Reply #125 on: January 04, 2016, 03:05:06 PM »

I read your journal. I heard about burnt bits, but nothing about doing the splits on the beach (unless they are related...which now makes me wonder). :D

That being said, it's now up to everyone else to get the infamous Jon_Snow to post a before pic. He's so shy. :)

Honestly, I'm straight as all get out, but all of my (relatively successful) attempts at poking fun at JS come across like I have a man-crush. I'm fine with it though.

I've done a bit of thinking on this exact thing (mostly because I'm already visualizing how successful I'm going to be, and how to handle it next year). What I've come up with, and being this far out it's definitely subject to change, is a standard pose (flexing or not) as a before and after, just to be able to look at the external reflections of the work that we've done, along with an action shot before and after. For people who lift, I think a shot with the barbell (showing the difference in weights) at the 'top' of the lift would be adequate. For body-weight things, I'm thinking about a specific task (like a muscle up) in the form of a gif, with attempt before and attempt after. This year, I can't accomplish shit yet, so I'll just do a still action shot of something impressive (like a handstand pushup, or some kind of static hold like leg raises).

jordanread

« Reply #126 on: January 04, 2016, 04:45:02 PM »
A year ago I was possibly in the best shape I've been in my life.
Then I started a new job which took over much of my life and had me sitting most of the day.
Fastforward to today and I just discovered that I have gained 15 pounds in the past year (without really realizing it).So, I'm adding my name to this thread for accountability.

My goal is simple:
I gained 15 pounds in 2015, so I'm planning on losing 16 pounds in 2016.

Sorry for blowing past your post earlier, but I have you added now. Any additional things you want to add as to how you are planning to lose that fat?

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #127 on: January 04, 2016, 06:16:56 PM »
Sorry for blowing past your post earlier, but I have you added now. Any additional things you want to add as to how you are planning to lose that fat?

No apologies necessary.
I didn't want to muddy the waters too much with additional detail.

My plan is the same one that worked for me in the past (I simply fell out of the habit when I started my new job).  You don't need to add all this info to the main post, but I'll outline it here just so I'll be accountable.

My plan is comprised of a few simple rules:

EXERCISE:
         • Bodyweight exercises 6 days a week (building up reps weekly).
         • Walking 6 days a week (beginning with 15mins and building up to 1hour max).
         • I have permission to skip any day I want, but cannot skip two days in a row.
         • I will weigh myself at the start of each week and keep a record.

DIET:
         • Eat a protein rich breakfast every day.
         • No refined sugars during the week.
         • No fried foods during the week.
         • No more than one sandwich a week (otherwise I eat too much bread).

I know some of those 'rules' sound arbitrary, but they've worked for me in the past.
As long as I can get back in the habit I don't see why it won't work again.

I started this morning with a walk - and stuck to my dietary guidelines as well.
The year is off to a good start.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 06:19:45 PM by MrDelane »

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #128 on: January 04, 2016, 06:39:16 PM »
I did 45 minutes of cardio this morning and drank nothing but water today.  I'm trying to kick my Diet Coke habit. 

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #129 on: January 04, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
First weights session of the year yesterday! Today is a movement day, which is being a little tricky as it is hosing down and has been for two days. Where did summer go? The air is actually soggy because we've blown past how much water the ground can absorb. I'm 50% of the way of my step count but have completed all the household tasks. Might pull out the umbrella and see if I can find a spot of footpath that's not an actual river.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #130 on: January 04, 2016, 07:36:56 PM »
Okay, here is photo proof of my gym cardio workout...I can usually exceed 400 calories on a 30 minute stationary bike session, but wanted to "save myself" a bit for the weight lifting portion. I forced myself to add an additional 5 pounds on dumbbells and 10 on barbell exercises. It was tough. I will sleep well tonight...we just had dinner and I am already drifting off watching the 6'oclock local news. Leg work tomorrow with NO CARDIO. :)

jordanread

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2016, 05:35:58 AM »
No apologies necessary.
I didn't want to muddy the waters too much with additional detail.

Please don't worry about that. It's not mud if it's relevant, and anything related to fitness is definitely relevant here.

My plan is the same one that worked for me in the past (I simply fell out of the habit when I started my new job).  You don't need to add all this info to the main post, but I'll outline it here just so I'll be accountable.

My plan is comprised of a few simple rules:

EXERCISE:
         • Bodyweight exercises 6 days a week (building up reps weekly).
         • Walking 6 days a week (beginning with 15mins and building up to 1hour max).
         • I have permission to skip any day I want, but cannot skip two days in a row.
         • I will weigh myself at the start of each week and keep a record.

DIET:
         • Eat a protein rich breakfast every day.
         • No refined sugars during the week.
         • No fried foods during the week.
         • No more than one sandwich a week (otherwise I eat too much bread).

I know some of those 'rules' sound arbitrary, but they've worked for me in the past.
As long as I can get back in the habit I don't see why it won't work again.

I started this morning with a walk - and stuck to my dietary guidelines as well.
The year is off to a good start.

This is definitely going to be a great year. And even if some steps taken seem arbitrary, I'd only use that word if you didn't know what works for you (or what has). That doesn't seem to be the case. I react poorly to too many simple carbs (usually in the form of craft micro brews), so I can relate. Way to go so far!!

jordanread

« Reply #132 on: January 05, 2016, 06:34:27 AM »
So yesterday was my first workout day of the New Year. I completed it without an issue. It was also my first fully strict day (and official start) of my first Whole30. I say strict, because I focused on it over the weekend, but wasn't fully on board. Just had to use some stuff up. I've mentioned before, and it should be obvious from my stats, I'm not in the best shape. There was something interesting about it though. With the Convict Conditioning plan I'm doing, a huge part of it is building a foundation, and one of the reasons I like it is because of the super efficient and slow progressions. Which brings me to the interesting part (and an increased sense that there is no "point of no return" when it comes to fitness): Even as out of shape as I am, I could still do the first progression relatively easily. Keeping the timing slow (2 seconds - 1 second hold - 2 seconds) and perfect form, I can feel that I'm going to struggle/start building muscle mass by probably week 2. It's going to be awesome.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #133 on: January 05, 2016, 10:16:47 AM »
Hi, I'd like to join.
My primary goal is to get from a BMI of 28.5 to a BMI of 25.  This means a drop in weight at 5'9" from 193 to 169.
In 2015 I made it from 202 to 180, back up to 193 as of this evening.  Fasting weight is about 189.

Just eating healthier, less/no carbs, some sort of weird paleo/whole30 variation, more body-movement exercises (yoga, playing with kids), a little 10lb kettlebell action while waiting for load-screens.  Looks like everybody is making good progress.  Let's keep it up!
Morning fasting weight lbs
1/1/15 189
1/5/15 186

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #134 on: January 05, 2016, 10:42:18 AM »
My first challenge to the stretching routine is coming up - I leave Friday for a trip to Asia, with some VERY compact accommodations throughout. I don't have super long legs or anything, but I'll need to either work some geometry miracles at the apartments or do splits in some very strange locations. Like airplane aisles. I'll try my best.

jordanread

« Reply #135 on: January 05, 2016, 11:38:59 AM »
Copied from my journal:
2016: AerynLee's Year of Healthy Choices

Destination goals:
Lose 20lbs by Memorial Day to get back below my lowest weight since hitting my highest weight in 2012
Lose an additional 20lbs before the end of the year
Gain enough arm strength to look "toned" (visible arm muscles)
Break reliance on having two cars*

Journey Goals:

I struggle with making changes because I'm the type to go all in and then fail because it's hard to change so many bad habits at once. I know I should concentrate on one at a time but I'm too impatient to give each habit a full month. So what I'm going to try to do this year is have a list of all the habits I want to change/add and try to do as many as I can consistently but pick one each month to add to the "must do" list. I plan on buying a small daily planner so I can track my progress. Below is my beginning list of Journey Goals.
  • Ride my bike at least 30 minutes 4x/week, either outside or on my trainer. Can't skip two days in a row
  • Convict Training initially 2x/week, moving up as I progress (may have to tweak since the only way for me to do pullups is to drive to the gym which seems a waste)
  • Only go out to eat twice a month max*
  • Stretch daily
  • Average 10k steps/day over a week
  • Eat more fruits/vegetables (I need to make this measurable)
  • Kill reliance on caffeine (I should probably have a goal for number of days in a row without)*
  • Floss daily

For January my focus is riding my bike. DH bought me an indoor trainer for Christmas so I can ride in the winter even though I don't have cold weather gear yet (note to self: buy cold weather gear before next winter). I rode for 30 minutes yesterday while watching a movie so a good start for the first full week of the year :) I'll decide my February focus when it gets closer.

*These items will help financially as well as health-wise

Aeryn, you mentioned you were going to focus on one Journey goal a month. Do you want me to specify a month for each goal, or list them as if they are year long goals? I'll add the month if you request once I get them all added.

I read that you were contemplating joining, and glad you did!!

jordanread

« Reply #136 on: January 05, 2016, 11:45:56 AM »
Joining again this year & trying to be more specific w/ my goals:

- Maintain weight at 115-120 lbs
- Walk / Hike minimum 2 hrs  / week (~10km) during school year (I'm a teacher)
- Walk / Hike minimum 8 hrs / week (~40 km) in summer (off work)
- Complete x3  20+km hikes (I have some specific local hikes in mind to choose from - Elfin Lakes / Black Tusk / Heather Trail / Juan de Fuca / Howe Sound Crest Trail)
- Improve upper body strength - weights 4x/week
- Improve flexibility - stretching 4x/week
- Be conscious of posture, esp. while at work

I've got you added. Welcome to the gauntlet. Feel free to post when/if you need additional support and motivation.

Probably just list them as if they are year long goals since I have no idea what order I'll decide to tackle these.

Thank you for creating a new gauntlet. Hopefully I do better than last year, especially since this year should be much calmer for me

Done!

jordanread

« Reply #137 on: January 05, 2016, 12:09:57 PM »
Also @ jordanread - I see one of your goals is to walk you slackline. I have one as well that me and my 5 year old daughter love. (she's a big Ninja Warrior/Casey Katanzaro fan so when we slackline she calls it her "ninja warrior training" ) Neither of us were able to master it in 2015 but defintley progressed. Hopefully I'll get it this year!

I totally meant to comment on this earlier, but it slipped my mind (maybe a less slippery mind is a valid bodyweight goal?). I absolutely love ANW, and was hugely impressed with Catanzaro's 2014 Houston run (and the 2015 run was pretty good too). It was more her height with that specific level of "reach type" obstacles that got me. Plus (and this wasn't fully broadcast, you have to look at the timer towards the end), she spent almost 9:00 on that course. That is damn near unheard of. I'm more partial to Jessie Graff, especially after her run this past year. I made a video to submit this year, and once I finish all the goals for this year, I will join the walk on line next year (I'll make a video too, but we'll see how it goes now that Caldiero actually climbed Midoriyama as far as casting goes).

I actually would not mind posting one also for some help/accountability of my 15% BF goal. Not really trying to go spend money on Pod Pod or anything similar. I showed my wife an online picture guide of Men's BF % and she thinks I'm around 15% now. So yeah!! Goal accomplished in 4 days, ha ah. But I think I'm more like 20%.

Maybe I'll just post both the before and after at the end of the year and maybe someone will weigh in on whether or not they think I made my goal and approximation of my  %.

Last year, the following page was used as a decent visual comparison for body fat. http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

jordanread

« Reply #138 on: January 05, 2016, 02:30:21 PM »
Last year, the following page was used as a decent visual comparison for body fat. http://www.builtlean.com/2012/09/24/body-fat-percentage-men-women/

This is helpful. Based on my start photo, I look to be between 30-35% body fat. This fits with my goal nicely, so I think this a good option on determining when I reach my goal. Also, will you add this like to the Resources section? It will be easier to find there in the future. ;)

I actual meant to do that when I looked up what the link was. That is the second time today I brain farted. Jeez. It's now on the resource post.

Also,

Once again (assuming I did it the first time), if you know of any resources (including Apple Apps - that is completely out of my wheelhouse) please let me know and I'll get them added to the resource post. And as that post expands, it will get copied and added each year.

I recently rediscovered Google Fit, which in turn reminded me of some other apps that I've used that are useful. I've added those to the resource post as well.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #139 on: January 05, 2016, 05:47:06 PM »
I've got that site bookmarked...and have learned over the past several months that the pictures are best used as a motivational tool. Using the "calliper" method of measuring my body fat % results suggests that I'm between 10 - 12%. Though, going by that website, I look much closer to 15% body fat guy - not an entirely bad thing I will hasten to admit. :)

Full disclosure: as a visual "goal", I will be content with a physique something akin to the 10 -12% dude on the BuiltLean site...it's what I'm shooting for anyway - my advancing age and iffy genes might prevent me from getting there...but I'm gonna try. :)

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #140 on: January 05, 2016, 05:49:47 PM »
well I finally got my first workout of the year in tonight. I was really hoping to start yesterday morning but my day got screwed up at about 3 a.m. and didn't get unscrewed until about 8 p.m. at that point I really didn't feel like doing much more than a hot shower, easy chair, and a glass of scotch. I also meant to get my workout in this morning but it was cold and my glass of scotch might have been a little bigger than what I needed :). I got it done tonight after work though.

I am always humbled by how incredibly out of shape I am every time I step in the weight room. used to lift pretty regular and while I wasn't the biggest guy in the gym. I also was not one of the small guys doing curls in the squat rack (five years ago). I dialed up what I thought would be an "easy" total body circuit. I was kind of crunched for time so I tried to make it fairly up tempo.

warmup
agile 8
jumprope

superset
5x10 squats #135
5x10 standing military press #65
this went ok but I was feeling it by my last set.

superset
5x10 pushups
5x10 pull-ups
I did ok on the pushups but was having to pause in the top position on the last half of of the final 2 sets
pull-ups= yea right fatty remember you gained 40 lbs. since the last time you seriously did pull-ups. I knew this was going to be hard but WOW after my third rep on my second set I was spent.

superset
sit-ups 5x10
good mornings 5x10
this went good I really hope I don't sneeze or have an uncontrollable belly laugh for a couple days though.

I have farther to go than I thought but thats what we are all here for right. To improve. glad to see everybody else getting off to a good start. Lets keep it going.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #141 on: January 05, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »

Either my body image is seriously messed up (entirely possible) or the women on that site have the best distribution of fat I can imagine.  My body fat % is around 24% (measured by a trainer with calipers) yet I think that I look more like the 40%+ pictures.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #142 on: January 05, 2016, 06:09:03 PM »

Either my body image is seriously messed up (entirely possible) or the women on that site have the best distribution of fat I can imagine.  My body fat % is around 24% (measured by a trainer with calipers) yet I think that I look more like the 40%+ pictures.

Yep...that site needs to be viewed with a HUGE grain of salt. ;)

Longwaytogo

« Reply #143 on: January 05, 2016, 06:12:43 PM »
Thanks JR - Yeah according to that built lean I'm def in the 20-25% range which is what I suspected. 15% will be a good goal for me.

Kacy did not do as well in 2015 but shes still pretty cool. Also semi local being from like 30-40 minutes north of me. I was also impressed with her positive attitude in addition to her Ninja prowess.

Good luck with your video, being on ANW would be Awesome!!

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #144 on: January 05, 2016, 08:57:28 PM »
I'd like to join up too, I need extra accountability lol.

My goals are

3x5 Deadlift @350 lbs
3x10 Weighted Dips @60 lbs
3x10 Weighted Chin Ups @30 lbs
Bulk to 195 lbs

I've slacked off the last couple years, mostly due to laziness after a slight shoulder injury broke my routine in the gym.  I'm pretty certain with progressive overload I'll pass my goal on the deadlift by July/August, but I wanted to be more conservative this time with adding weight, so I set my goal shorter than I expect at the end of 2016. 

My dip goal should be pretty solid as well, as long as my shoulder doesn't have issues again.  (It wasn't the dips that did it last time, but rather poor form on an incline bench)

Now, the weighted chin ups are going to be the main struggle for me.  I've had issues in the past maintaining form after the first 3-4 repetitions, but I believe with perseverance and a good program to follow, I'll get to 10+ reps and be able to start adding 5 lbs around April.

As I get closer to my weight goal, I'll examine my body fat % and determine if I want to stick with the calorie surplus I'm on now, or dial it back.  I'm at about 15% body fat @170 lbs currently.

Looking forward to keeping up with everyone else's progress this year! :)

drudgep

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2016, 09:38:55 PM »
Goals are:

Work out 3/5 days per week before work.
Workout 4 days a week.
30 pushups in 60 seconds
10 pullups in 60 seconds
Convince Fiance to stop buying sweets in the house because they all belong to meeee! :)

jordanread

« Reply #146 on: January 06, 2016, 05:11:17 AM »
Since we used the builtlean site last year, I only perused the pictures. I took a little bit of time to read a little bit of the descriptions. It's subtle, but some of those descriptions are funny enough to make me giggle.

Thanks JR - Yeah according to that built lean I'm def in the 20-25% range which is what I suspected. 15% will be a good goal for me.

Kacy did not do as well in 2015 but shes still pretty cool. Also semi local being from like 30-40 minutes north of me. I was also impressed with her positive attitude in addition to her Ninja prowess.

Good luck with your video, being on ANW would be Awesome!!

Just remember that visual references (as discussed by people above) are a very rough estimate. And it does seem to be the most ideal distribution of body fat ever.
LWT, as far as ANW goes, I didn't mean to say Kacy isn't awesome, I just really like Jessie Graff. She definitely isn't as positive as Kacy is, but is still kicking ass (and that clear climb thing she did this year was super impressive). Also, I'm not as interested as being on the show as testing myself on the course. And, if I don't get on, I'll just make the Sasuke course a stop once I catch FIRE.

I'd like to join up too, I need extra accountability lol.

My goals are

3x5 Deadlift @350 lbs
3x10 Weighted Dips @60 lbs
3x10 Weighted Chin Ups @30 lbs
Bulk to 195 lbs

I've slacked off the last couple years, mostly due to laziness after a slight shoulder injury broke my routine in the gym.  I'm pretty certain with progressive overload I'll pass my goal on the deadlift by July/August, but I wanted to be more conservative this time with adding weight, so I set my goal shorter than I expect at the end of 2016. 

My dip goal should be pretty solid as well, as long as my shoulder doesn't have issues again.  (It wasn't the dips that did it last time, but rather poor form on an incline bench)

Now, the weighted chin ups are going to be the main struggle for me.  I've had issues in the past maintaining form after the first 3-4 repetitions, but I believe with perseverance and a good program to follow, I'll get to 10+ reps and be able to start adding 5 lbs around April.

As I get closer to my weight goal, I'll examine my body fat % and determine if I want to stick with the calorie surplus I'm on now, or dial it back.  I'm at about 15% body fat @170 lbs currently.

Looking forward to keeping up with everyone else's progress this year! :)

Goals are:

Work out 3/5 days per week before work.
Workout 4 days a week.
30 pushups in 60 seconds
10 pullups in 60 seconds
Convince Fiance to stop buying sweets in the house because they all belong to meeee! :)

I've got you both added to the tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet. Please double check that post and make sure I got it all correct, please.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #147 on: January 06, 2016, 10:09:08 AM »

That being said, it's now up to everyone else to get the infamous Jon_Snow to post a before pic. He's so shy. :)

Honestly, I'm straight as all get out, but all of my (relatively successful) attempts at poking fun at JS come across like I have a man-crush. I'm fine with it though.

I am shy. And it just feels weird to post half naked pictures of oneself online - I hummed and hawed about posting arm pics for gawdsakes...

And JR...if your man-crush were indeed real...I don't think that would creep me out. Much. ;)

This recent talk of posting before/after pics had me going back into my visual archives. I found shirtless photos of myself in late 2014...about a month after I had FIRE'd. At that point I had probably already lost 10 of the 60 pounds I eventually shed - I still looked decidedly "doughy" (I will spare the forum by not sharing this pic). Of course, there is the infamous "sexy farmer" pic, taken in June of 2015...which shows in stark fashion how I changed my body in those six months. More recently I posted a Baja-beach arm pic from December 2015...increased vascularity (veins more prominent in arms and even in shoulder) evidence that I had reduced my BF% further. This has also resulted in the fact that I always seem to be damn COLD these days. Unsurprisingly, stomach fat is proving to be the last hold out.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #148 on: January 06, 2016, 10:33:09 AM »
I'm considering buying a Groupon for a local gym. They do 30 minute boot camp classes 5+ times a day M-F. Three weeks of unlimited classes is $35 and five weeks of unlimited classes is $55. They don't list normal prices online but according to Groupon the 5 week one is normally over $300. I think that paying for it will motivate me to go and I know that I would push myself harder than working out alone.

Has anyone here tried one of these?

I just signed up for a groupon deal for hot yoga.  Unlimited for a month for 30 bucks. I am not sure I can even take the heat, but I am going to try. I figure at best, I will be able to kick start exercising.  I am going to start my classes on Monday.

I know that isn't helpful for what you are asking.  Good luck if you try it. I think it would be worth it and 30 mins of boot camp sounds good.  I would like to try this myself.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #149 on: January 06, 2016, 10:37:58 AM »
I did about 15 mins on my rebounder today and pilates machine with my strengthening exercises for the arms and legs.  I will get on my "real" rebounder later this evening for 15 mins and then 20 kettlebell swings.  I need to approach exercising slowly so I don't injure myself but I really want to go full force.

Jordanread - wow, ANW - that is great.  Good luck.   

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!