Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402770 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #50 on: December 30, 2015, 09:55:52 AM »
Okay, thought of a few more "targets"...

60 push-ups in 60 seconds.

Get to 190 pounds (currently 185) while having single digit bodyfat %...so this will mean adding a bit more than 5 pounds of muscle mass in 2016. I'm not a natural "gainer", so this will not be easy.

It is an unbelievably gorgeous (but a bit cold) morning on my island...the sea is smooth as glass. Were it already 2016 I could put my kayak in the water and start logging some miles (km's) towards my 500km paddling target...lots of firewood to split instead - which is a freakishly good workout in itself!

Got them updated. They look okay?

Jon_Snow
  • Kayak >= 500K (~311 miles)
  • Complete 3 half marathons <= 2:00:00
  • Run 5K <= 20:00
  • <= 8% Body Fat
  • Improve lower body strength
  • 1 set/60 pushups in <= 1:00
  • Gain 5lbs of muscle

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #51 on: December 30, 2015, 11:16:19 AM »
I think I'd like to join... 2015 was a big step forward for me fitness wise and I'd like to continue that in 2016.

• Maintain 50 pound weight loss from 2015
  • Sub 30 5K
  • Sub 2:20 Half Marathon (terrifying thought, but if I can get to a sub 30 5K and add in a good training cycle with a proper base the pace calculators tell me this is possible)
  • Complete sprint triathlon (also a terrifying thought, must start swim)
  • Incorporate some form of strength training at least twice each week (need to get more specific with this one)

jordanread

« Reply #52 on: December 30, 2015, 12:06:50 PM »
I think I'd like to join... 2015 was a big step forward for me fitness wise and I'd like to continue that in 2016.

• Sub 30 5K
  • Sub 2:20 Half Marathon (terrifying thought, but if I can get to a sub 30 5K and add in a good training cycle with a proper base the pace calculators tell me this is possible)
  • Incorporate some form of strength training at least twice each week (need to get more specific with this one)

Got you added. Welcome to the gauntlet!!

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #53 on: December 30, 2015, 12:25:27 PM »

Goals:
[...]
Gain another 20 pounds.
Migrator Soul, I did slightly modify your goal. I wrote it out that your goal is to gain 20lbs of muscle. Let me know if you want me to change it back.

Nope, that is perfect. The struggle of being an ectomorph in a world of meathead co workers.

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #54 on: December 30, 2015, 01:48:33 PM »
I would like to join in, if I may.

Goals:

- Complete a half-ironman in under 7 hours (I've done several in the 7:0X range but have yet to break 7 hours)
- Run a 5k in under 30 minutes
- Reduce body fat to 20-22%
- Continue strength training 1-2 times per week
- Log my freaking food intake

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #55 on: December 30, 2015, 03:33:43 PM »

Get to 190 pounds (currently 185) while having single digit bodyfat %...so this will mean adding a bit more than 5 pounds of muscle mass in 2016. I'm not a natural "gainer", so this will not be easy.

It is an unbelievably gorgeous (but a bit cold) morning on my island...the sea is smooth as glass. Were it already 2016 I could put my kayak in the water and start logging some miles (km's) towards my 500km paddling target...lots of firewood to split instead - which is a freakishly good workout in itself!

Jon_Snow
  • <= 8% Body Fat
  • Gain 5lbs of muscle

That looks good JR...I find myself looking at that list and wondering...is this really f***in' ME trying to pull this stuff off? I've come a long way in 16 months...

jordanread

« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »

Jon_Snow
  • <= 8% Body Fat
  • Gain 5lbs of muscle

That looks good JR...I find myself looking at that list and wondering...is this really f***in' ME trying to pull this stuff off? I've come a long way in 16 months...

You most certainly have. I look forward to seeing what you are going to accomplish this year.

jordanread

« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2015, 03:26:48 PM »
It's the last day of 2015. That means it's about time to kick things into high gear! As we all embark on this journey, I will do my best to keep the gauntlet active, asking questions to keep the conversation and interaction moving forward. I'll try to maintain an air of accountability through here, and have a few things in the works that should be of value to participants. Hopefully I'll get that stuff out first or second week of January. One of the things that I wanted to do, and didn't manage in the S&F 2015 thread, was to do a wrap up post outlining all of the accomplishments made throughout the year. Unfortunately, there are a couple of key points that I missed. That brings me to this next point.

There is one thing that all of the goals added so far have in common. Even though some are Journey Goals, others are Destination Goals, and others are just public declarations of forthcoming change, every one of the goals on the tracking post share an underlying air of pure progress. Every person here is planning on making progress this year. In this thread it's specifically about Strength & Fitness. This is nice, because we are changing our abilities and our bodies. Progress is difficult to gauge without one very important thing. That thing is a baseline. In the context of this gauntlet, it's about what we can do now, along with other metrics like weight, body fat %, etc. One of the more important yet mercurial stats is how we feel in our own skin. So while I'm not going to say that one needs to post or make public where they are at now, take this last day of 2015, and figure that out. Write it down somewhere. I'll post my stats here, because once you post a picture of yourself in your underwear (last year's thread), a few numbers don't really make a difference. Take a before picture (although don't feel the need to post it). Towards the end of this year's gauntlet, I will try to get all the information on the progress we will make. And if people want to do a before/after thing, we can post that too.

Here's to the New Year. They year in which we will all kick ass!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2015, 05:04:00 PM »
First off, want to say congrats to everyone who achieve or exceeded their goals this year. I'm very happy for you and glad to see you raising the bar yet again. You are all a great source of motivation. I however failed miserably. I have no excuse and no good reason not to have succeeded other than pure uncalled for laziness. It's time to put the bullshit  aside and take a little time each day for me. Happy new year to everybody and let's kick some ass in 2016

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2015, 06:35:27 PM »
Lady Snow and I are running 10k tomorrow morning - NO MATTER HOW MUCH WE DRINK TONIGHT. This fact alone should help us show some restraint as we head toward midnight here on the west coast.

And JR, good call on recording of current baseline numbers...and as for photos, I took a ton of them on my recent Baja trip...only the "arm pic" (previously aired) is going to be made available for the MMM public I fear. :)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2015, 07:39:19 PM »

• Sub 30 5K

Well, this is a little early, but I officially met one of my 2016 goals in 2015! Our local running club puts on a cheap, no frills NYE 5K that DH and I decided to run today at the last minute. Official times have just been posted, mine was: 29:34.

I'm pretty stoked. This is a 1 minute 56 second PB and a number I didn't expect to see until later in the year. I think my new goal will be to set a new 5K PB sometime in 2016 as I plan to turn my attention to my Half Marathon scheduled for April 1. (Really. Some people still think I'm joking about running a half marathon that day.) I don't think that one will be the ultimate 2:20. It's a tough course and that would be a HUGE PB for me. I hope for it to be a good baseline to a fall Half Marathon to shoot for the 2:20.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #61 on: December 31, 2015, 07:53:06 PM »
Hmm, baseline.  Maybe this weekend I will take some measurements. I really am at the start of my fitness journey so this will be interesting to track. I have never tracked it before.

I would love to lose 10-15 lbs and firm up.  Even though I feel that isn't a lot to lose (might as well be though), it's my body fat I am more concerned with because I know it is too high.  ...and I am ready to get and feel fit.

I am going to make every effort to keep up with this thread. Last year I failed. 

Today I signed up for a month of hot yoga.  Never tried it before so thought it was a good way to kick start things.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #62 on: December 31, 2015, 08:30:06 PM »
Okay, here's my "before". Stretchy stretchy!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #63 on: December 31, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
Baseline - I ran Zeitgeist half marathon on November 7th in 2:13.  I've previously ran this race in just over 2:00, so hoping to get a little better and break the two hour barrier.  Ran Robie in 2:09 in2013, so breaking the 2:10 will mean getting back to where I was two years ago.  The two races put me in a pretty good annual training cycle.

Today I ran 4.4 in around 42 minutes.  January will be about getting my base back so I can run 5 miles in 45/without blinking.

votu

• Stubble
« Reply #64 on: December 31, 2015, 10:12:12 PM »
I'd like to join this year. I have lots of compact muscles that I want to breakdown and rebuild into long, lean, flexible and most importantly useful ones. There are lots of activities I plan on doing, but these are the ones I have concrete goals in mind

1. Get to green band in parkour
2. Run one 5k nonstop
3. Complete a hike at level A difficulty
4. Lose 30 lbs

No photo though. I've strengthen my willpower and found a way to keep myself in check,  so no more stupid promise of posting pictures to get keep my motivation up.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 10:19:30 PM by votu »

serious_pete

• Stubble
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2016, 03:30:26 AM »
I enjoyed following this last year, even if my contribution was close to non existent. My goals for 2016 are pretty similar to last year: attend >100 judo classes, get my brown belt, enter a tournament and don't embarrass myself. Keep weight at ~90kg. Press 75kg, bench 100kg, squat 150kg, deadlift 180kg doing 5-3-1 twice a week. I've hit all of these before but not since I started taking judo seriously.

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2016, 03:44:02 AM »
Hello again Friends! Happy New Year!

I've been thinking about my goals for this year, and how much progress I made last year- thanks in part to the thread!

In 2015 one goal will be to strength train an average of at least 2x a week. Using the Strength Standards site posted earlier, I'd like to get to "Intermediate" status on my Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. I was at my best at the end of November before the Holidays, predictably, wreaked havoc on my schedule:
- Squat: 5 reps of 115 (Novice Level)
- Bench Press: 5 reps of 75 (Novice to Intermediate)
- Deadlift: 8 reps of 90 (Beginner)

I would also like to get outdoors for some athletic adventuring an average a 1-2 times per week throughout the year. The activities will change (skiing/Cross Country Skiing/ Iceskating for Winter, Swimming/ Hiking/ Running for Spring Summer Fall).

I would also like to get to the top of Katahdin this year, hopefully with my hiking buddies from last year.

And I would really like to get a body fat caliper, or figure out some way to measure this. Since I don't have a baseline measurement, I'm going to say that I want to decrease my body fat by 2-4 points.

And, I'd like to increase the consistency with with I commute in some sort of self-powered way. I'd like to average half my commutes self-powered (be it walking or biking).

Thanks everyone! And Thanks especially to Jordanread for managing this post!

jordanread

« Reply #67 on: January 01, 2016, 06:16:45 AM »

• Sub 30 5K

Well, this is a little early, but I officially met one of my 2016 goals in 2015! Our local running club puts on a cheap, no frills NYE 5K that DH and I decided to run today at the last minute. Official times have just been posted, mine was: 29:34.

I'm pretty stoked. This is a 1 minute 56 second PB and a number I didn't expect to see until later in the year. I think my new goal will be to set a new 5K PB sometime in 2016 as I plan to turn my attention to my Half Marathon scheduled for April 1. (Really. Some people still think I'm joking about running a half marathon that day.) I don't think that one will be the ultimate 2:20. It's a tough course and that would be a HUGE PB for me. I hope for it to be a good baseline to a fall Half Marathon to shoot for the 2:20.

I know it's technically not something accomplished in 2016, but screw it. Nothing like starting off the year with a win. I've added your new goal and marked your old one as complete. Way to go!!

jordanread

« Reply #68 on: January 01, 2016, 06:26:25 AM »
I'd like to follow along for inspiration if I may.

I'd like to join this year. I have lots of compact muscles that I want to breakdown and rebuild into long, lean, flexible and most importantly useful ones. There are lots of activities I plan on doing, but these are the ones I have concrete goals in mind

I enjoyed following this last year, even if my contribution was close to non existent. My goals for 2016 are pretty similar to last year: attend >100 judo classes, get my brown belt, enter a tournament and don't embarrass myself. Keep weight at ~90kg. Press 75kg, bench 100kg, squat 150kg, deadlift 180kg doing 5-3-1 twice a week. I've hit all of these before but not since I started taking judo seriously.

Hello again Friends! Happy New Year!

You are all now added. Welcome to the gauntlet. Votu, I saw a bit of your participating in the losing weight thread. Great progress last year!

I also added details on the parkour belt system, as well as a link about Mt. Katahdin in the goal description post. I was going to put something about Level A hiking, but couldn't find anything consistent on it.

Peter Gibbons

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #69 on: January 01, 2016, 12:54:46 PM »

Reduce weight by 9% to less than 185 lbs.

Jog treadmill 5k in less than 31.5 minutes.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #70 on: January 01, 2016, 01:22:17 PM »
I'd like to follow along for inspiration if I may.

My own goals are to work my arms more. They have become softer and weaker than I like over the last couple of months.

Hmmm...makes me think that the ER Wonder Twins (us) should get together for a session of bicep curls and tricep extensions. Bring the Barkinator. :)

jordanread

« Reply #71 on: January 01, 2016, 02:53:22 PM »

Reduce weight by 9% to less than 185 lbs.

I've got you added. I am debating on leaving the treadmill section in there or not. I don't know which is harder or if it should even matter. Goals are listed as follows:
EJE
  • Weigh <= 185lbs (9% decrease)
  • Run 5K (treadmill) <= 31:05

For those of you who run when not being chased, what do you think? Is 5K a 5K regardless?

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #72 on: January 01, 2016, 04:38:12 PM »
Goals:
  • Run a 5k (No goals on time.  I've never done one and have no idea what's respectable, so just finishing is good)
  • Do at least 1 pull up, but ideally 5-10.
  • Get down to 145 lbs (current weight: 176 lbs)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #73 on: January 01, 2016, 04:54:21 PM »
Thank you for launching this for 2016. I'm recovering from a 2015 injury and getting back on track - feels daunting.

2016 Goals

Actions:
1) Complete therapy/healing
2) Healthy/frugal (mostly vegan) diet
3) Walk to/from work 5 days/wk => (four mile RT and uphill both ways - literally)
4) Attend exercise class daily => (hope to be able to start this up again in March)

Measured by:
1) Healthy fitness => able to accomplish the walking and exercise (3 & 4 above) with ease
2) Steady healthy weight => ~128-130lb. (currently 150lb.)
3) Strongly ingrained healthy eating habits => no processed sugar, healthy eating everyday
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 04:59:30 PM by Exhale »

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »

For those of you who run when not being chased, what do you think? Is 5K a 5K regardless?

I think a 5K is a 5K regardless. Running on the treadmill is certainly different than outdoors and while I think that outdoors can somewhat harder to consistently hit a good time because the conditions are more difficult to control, etc., but I still think a 5K is a 5K. I actually feel much more sore after a treadmill run than a road one. Not sure what that signifies (if anything) other than I must run differently on the treadmill. I certainly don't find a treadmill easier the way some people do.

I took some measurements today as a baseline. First time in a couple months. Interesting that while my weight is actually up about a pound from my lowest in early November, my measurements continue to change, mostly for the better. I'm no longer actively trying to lose weight and would be happy to stay where I am at currently, but I'd love to tighten and overall strengthen my body.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 09:49:25 AM by hudsoncat »

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2016, 10:16:18 AM »
I'd like to join in with some fitness goals.

Rock climbing goals:
consistently top-rope 5.10s in the gym
lead 5.9s in the gym
boulder V2 consistently (bouldering is hard for me, which is why I need to work on it)

Aerial goals:
Complete aerial beginner II
Have fun :)

Running goals:
Run 100 miles in 2016 (I go through phases with running. Recently I haven't been running much)
Complete a 10K

Other:
Go to yoga/pilates more to work on core strength and flexibility
Go hiking at least 1x/month

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2016, 10:54:38 AM »
Didn't accomplish most goals last year (mainly due to work/stress) but this one should be different.

6000 pull-ups
10k push-ups
10k situps/crunches

Lose 10 lbs (160-->sub150 lbs)
Achieve sub 15% body fat

Boulder some V6s (in gym).
Improve climbing endurance.

At least 1 one arm pull-up. Getting closer. Can do one with ~35 lbs of assist (losing 10 lbs will help).

10k steps/day average on my Fitbit
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:22:31 AM by CCCA »

jordanread

« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2016, 11:51:27 AM »

I removed the treadmill part from your goal based on feedback received. A 5k is a 5K, and you'll rock this one.

Goals:

Thank you for launching this for 2016. I'm recovering from a 2015 injury and getting back on track - feels daunting.

2016 Goals

I've got both of you added. Exhale, I might expand a bit more on your goals based on your measurements. See the final note for the timeline.

Rock climbing goals:
lead 5.9s in the gym
boulder V2 consistently (bouldering is hard for me, which is why I need to work on it)

I've added both of you to the tracking post, but have some research to do prior to figuring out some of the rock climbing and bouldering stuff. I'm sure there will be a huge amount of information added to the goal description post, but I need to get it clear in my brain before I figure out how to properly enter your goals. If you have additional resources that describe those difficulties and V's as far as bouldering/climbing goes, feel free to post them here.

Final Note: Today is my 7 year anniversary with the SO, so that will take priority (assuming I want to get to 8 ;), and I most likely won't do any additional updates or research for the rest of the day. More cleanup and additions tomorrow.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2016, 12:10:29 PM »
Well this seems like a really good idea! Accountability is awesome.

I'm hella new to this whole trying to be fit game, so I'm still working out what my goals even SHOULD be. So mostly I'm posting to make sure I remember to think about this and to create goals.
Only one I have so far is: Be able to do 5 real (not chicken-up) push ups.

Peter Gibbons

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2016, 03:14:46 PM »

Thanks for doing this.  One minor correction ... my goal 5k time is 31.5 minutes (meaning 31:30 rather than 31:05).

Stache it Away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2016, 03:25:43 PM »
Jordan,

Thanks for starting this thread and for getting me started on the Convict Conditioning program.  I run a lot, but have failed to do upper body work for several years and I think this is what I need as I think I'll be more interested in learning a new skill than lifting another 5 or 10 pounds. 

On the Convict Conditioning program my goals are to acheive:
Lever Pushups (currently at Full push ups)
One Leg Squats (not sure, but could probably complete full squats)
Uneven Pull ups (currently beginner half pull ups)
Stand-to-stand Bridges (currently at straight bridges)]
Handstand push ups (currently on crow stands)
Handing straight leg raises (currently at hanging knee raises)

Outside of that my other goals are to:
Get and stay below 160 pounds (currently 181)
Get under 20 min in a 5k (stretch goal: 19 min, PR is 20:15)

Thanks again!

Stache it Away

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2016, 04:25:07 PM »
Fantastic thread. It's good to read the responses so far; you guys have some great goals and I feel that by posting them here we can help each other to complete them by year's end.

My goals are:

- Get from 215.2lb to 190lb. (Stretch goal is to do this by April, but by May is more realistic)
- 3x10 strict pull ups
- 5k running (at any speed!)
- Be able to sit comfortably in the third world/paleo squat. (This will require significant gains in ankle, hamstring and hip flexibility)
- Sort out the patellar tendonosis in my knee out.
- Once the knee is sorted, start weight lifting again.

I think all of those are SMART, or, at the very least, are SART. ;)

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2016, 07:55:26 PM »
Final Note: Today is my 7 year anniversary with the SO, so that will take priority (assuming I want to get to 8 ;), and I most likely won't do any additional updates or research for the rest of the day. More cleanup and additions tomorrow.

Happy Anniversary!

Updated goals:
1) Maintain primarily vegan diet
2) Walk to work 5x/week
3) One hour of strength exercise daily
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:05:15 PM by Exhale »

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2016, 08:01:24 PM »
My own goals are to work my arms more. They have become softer and weaker than I like over the last couple of months.
Hmmm...makes me think that the ER Wonder Twins (us) should get together for a session of bicep curls and tricep extensions. Bring the Barkinator. :)

And post photos!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:04:20 PM by Exhale »

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2016, 02:06:03 AM »

And post photos!

As long as they follow this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRscYVvEFt8

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2016, 06:52:30 AM »
I'm in!  To start with,

1.  Lose 15 lbs by April 1st.  I have about 40 lbs to lose so that will be a nice start. 
2.  Exercise 45 minutes 3-4 days/wk including completing the C25k program. 
3.  Run a 5k in the Spring.  The one I most likely will register for is on 4/30. 

I start tomorrow. 

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2016, 09:04:07 AM »
Count me in!

1) Complete strength training 5x/week.
2) 1 hour of cardio 6 days a week (Run 4, bike/elliptical the other 2).
3) Drop 15 pounds.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #87 on: January 03, 2016, 09:25:41 AM »
So far I've been more inclined to run than to lift.  Must lift today.  Just signed up for Freezeout Challenge in three weeks.  It's 12k, so I need to up my mileage a bit, but shouldn't be a problem.  No time goal because that will depend on how icy it is.

Ran 4.4 miles on Thursday and Saturday and walked 5 miles on Friday.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #88 on: January 03, 2016, 09:36:21 AM »
I start tomorrow.

Hopefully you won't be saying that tomorrow too. :p

YK-Phil

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #89 on: January 03, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »
I'm in, although I was never out.

My goals this year are, in no particular order of importance:
- continue doing a 30-minute HIIT workout 6 times a week
- walk/bike to work daily regardless of weather.
- hike with the dogs a minimum of one hour on weekend days.
- lose 15 pounds to go back to my ideal weight of 160 lbs
- do the whole 30 diet once per quarter.

I'm waiting to hear back from the orthopedic surgeon about Achilles tendon surgery caused by excessive running a few years ago (serious warning to the runners in the group) in the next few months. If I get surgery, my goals will have to be adjusted.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #90 on: January 03, 2016, 01:20:07 PM »
Cross-posted!

Lose 25 pounds (stretch goal 30)
Run 5k (stretch goal 10)
5 chinups (stretch goal 8)
25 pushups (stretch goal 50)
Stretch daily!

Starting this very hour!

(unnecessary backstory below)
5'6" female.

5 years ago I was 188 pounds, my highest ever. After a 7 year relationship breakup I spent the next 18 months with a sole priority of losing weight. I got down to 124, and hovered around 130 for a few years. I was VERY careful to maintain that weight because I didn't want to have to fight to lose it again, and I know how easy it is to creep back up. I'd crept back up to 138 a few months ago, and then due to a series of fortunate events realized that my motherfucking asshole scale was getting old and worn out and had been lying to me increasingly over the last 6 months to a year. I wasn't 138, it was closer to 155 by the time I realized it. 2015 was a shitty year dealing with suicide and grief and I didn't have the energy to maintain much of anything besides life. Among that and other excuses, here I sit at the end of the holiday season at 160 pounds. Yikes. I threw out my scale a few months ago and just used my friend's to see what damage has been done the last couple months.

Darling boyfriend is currently buying me a new scale.
I've done it before, I can do it again. The hard part is that this time I have so many other priorities in my life to manage together.

Cookie78

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #91 on: January 03, 2016, 03:17:28 PM »
Starting this very hour!

Went for a run! Dog is pleased. Sunny winter day. Crisp snow. Cheerful families tobogganing. I went to a new nearby area so I could multitask and help look for a dog that went missing a few days ago while I ran. Started the couch to 5k program that I'd completed twice before. I get tired of running once I reach my goals and quit for a couple years, then have to start from the beginning again once I have new goals.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #92 on: January 03, 2016, 03:23:18 PM »
Starting this very hour!

Went for a run! Dog is pleased. Sunny winter day. Crisp snow. Cheerful families tobogganing. I went to a new nearby area so I could multitask and help look for a dog that went missing a few days ago while I ran. Started the couch to 5k program that I'd completed twice before. I get tired of running once I reach my goals and quit for a couple years, then have to start from the beginning again once I have new goals.

Nice one!

mspym

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #93 on: January 03, 2016, 04:21:11 PM »
Joining in this GAUNTLET for accountability.

Back story: I have done a lot of weight-training, martial arts, swimming, some running, lots of walking and cycling and other activities over the years but in the last year my job KICKED MY ARSE and I became lucky if I got to the gym once a week, while my only activity was cycling to and from work. Between the decrease in physical activity and the increase in drinking [coping mechanism for an insane job, that I have now left] I completely lost condition and am now ~75kg, which is not a good look on a 5'2" woman.

GOAL
- Recover my fitness and joy in my body, and maintain my activity levels when I go back to work.
- Do an unassisted pull-up
- Deadlift 1.5x BW

ACTIONS
- Weightlifting 3x a week
- Walk 10k steps on non-weight days
- Work through nutritional habit program again

TRACKING
- Weekly measurements [baseline taken]
- Habitica for workouts and nutrition habits
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 04:24:14 PM by mspym »

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #94 on: January 03, 2016, 06:56:25 PM »
I did about 10 mins on my rebounder.  Probably a little less but it is start.  I also did 20 kettlebell swings, although, not sure I am doing them correctly but it felt good to get started.  2016 is off to a good start.

CCCA

• Pencil Stache
  • born before the 80's
    • FI programming
« Reply #95 on: January 03, 2016, 07:20:45 PM »

Rock climbing goals:
lead 5.9s in the gym

I've added both of you to the tracking post, but have some research to do prior to figuring out some of the rock climbing and bouldering stuff. I'm sure there will be a huge amount of information added to the goal description post, but I need to get it clear in my brain before I figure out how to properly enter your goals. If you have additional resources that describe those difficulties and V's as far as bouldering/climbing goes, feel free to post them here.

Happy Anniversary, and thanks for putting this thread together. 

I'm not sure that there can be much info on what these specific climbing/bouldering grades means.  It's a bit esoteric and the grades are all relative to other grades.  So the main thing is that the higher the number, the harder things get.  The difficulty comes from the size and ease of gripping the climbing holds, the distance between hand or foot holds and the steepness of the wall.

It's bit of an exponential or convex learning curve, such that it is harder to progress between higher grades than lower grades, similar to how it would be harder to shave 10 minutes off of a 3 hour marathon time than it would for a 5 hour marathon time.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #96 on: January 03, 2016, 07:31:37 PM »
I'd love to join. My goals for 2016:

1) Run 365 miles.
2) Full splits- side, right, and left - by end of year - this is the one I chronically fail at. I'm so bad at disciplined stretching ever since I stopped competitively dancing as a teenager.
3) Be able to do 25 minutes of stairs continuously without next-day soreness by 7/7/16.
4) PR for Half-marathon (<2h01m19sec)

green daisy

• Stubble
« Reply #97 on: January 03, 2016, 08:40:47 PM »
I start tomorrow.

Hopefully you won't be saying that tomorrow too. :p

Haha!  Hopefully not!!

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
  • Burnt
« Reply #98 on: January 03, 2016, 11:27:36 PM »
Hi, I'd like to join.
My primary goal is to get from a BMI of 28.5 to a BMI of 25.  This means a drop in weight at 5'9" from 193 to 169.
In 2015 I made it from 202 to 180, back up to 193 as of this evening.  Fasting weight is about 189.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #99 on: January 04, 2016, 12:05:07 AM »
First gym day of 2016 for me tomorrow. Let's do this!

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!