Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402425 times)

flan

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1400 on: September 01, 2016, 09:21:56 AM »
I ALWAYS train fasted when I lift first thing in the morning.

I have a fairly large meal in the evening, and it has all night to digest.

Glycogen stores topped off, blood glucose level, etc are all pretty good in the morning. I eat immediately after lifting.

I'm not sure if this is more in my head, but I always feel STARVING if I have a big meal the night before.

jordanread

« Reply #1401 on: September 01, 2016, 09:23:44 AM »
Another question for the regular exercisers:

If you're working out in the morning, do you eat something before your workout, or do you exercise on an empty stomach?

I cannot find the conversation. Apparently this thread is quite successful. You are getting good advice so far though. Personally, I made the decision to workout while fasting, but I couldn't tell you why, although it was based on the information from the conversation earlier.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1402 on: September 01, 2016, 07:22:40 PM »
I went on a 2 hour kayaking excursion today at 6AM. Because my hands are pieces of sh*t, that part sucked per usual, but otherwise all the weight training I've been doing has been great because my arms/shoulders barely noticed the workout.

Also, was the first time I went kayaking since the day before I started Terrible Job I Quit on Friday. Terrible Job = No time for Kayaking. Quitting Terrible Job = I get to kayak again!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1403 on: September 02, 2016, 07:15:03 AM »
Another question for the regular exercisers:

If you're working out in the morning, do you eat something before your workout, or do you exercise on an empty stomach?

If I'm working out in the morning, it's a run. Short runs (4 miles or less) I don't worry about eating. Middle length runs (4-8 miles) I'll grab half a honey stinger (or something similar) something to eat mid-run. Longer runs (8+ for me) I get up early enough to eat something easy like PB toast at least 45 minutes before I get out the door. I think it's personal too and you need to find what works for you. DH seldom eats before a morning work out of any type/length, but typically eats a larger evening meal than me. If I don't eat or bring something to eat past about mile 5 I start to feel very crappy.

My workouts have been sporadic at best in the last two weeks. My town had four tornadoes touch down last week in the span of a few hours. The college I work for lost a building. Thankfully no one lost their lives and injuries were few and minor. But there is major devastation in several neighborhoods (not mine, it was thankfully spared).  It's been an interesting week trying to deal with the loss of our campus building while also getting out and helping those in need as time allows with cleanup. I'm calling all the cleanup strength work.

I type this to say that I am so grateful that I started this fitness journey in earnest last year. Three years ago another tornado came through town (I do not live in Kansas, I swear). I remember helping then and it was so much more of a struggle. I tired quicker, I couldn't carry/lift nearly as much, and I needed frequent breaks. I'm thankful that my current level of fitness allows me to not only feel better on a daily basis, but to also get out and help others when disaster strikes.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1404 on: September 03, 2016, 12:34:13 PM »
Been a while since I posted an update! We've been in the house 4 weeks now. Last weekend, we put in gymnastics rings. And I got my first true, no kip, from a dead hang pull up! Turns out, the metal bar in tow strap we have before was the HARDEST EVER to do pullups on (sway and rotates). So now that we have rings, it is way easier =o I honestly never thought I would be able to do strict pull ups as a grown woman (when I was a skinny-minny kid, it was no problem, but things change after puberty haha).

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1405 on: September 03, 2016, 11:26:11 PM »
Congrats on the pull ups, Bracken!  I couldn't even do them when I was a kid, so I find it very impressive!

My ankle is feeling a lot better.  I went on a three mile walk tonight and was just on the brink of going into a jog several times, but had just enough of a twinge to decide against it.  Thinking I'll try a 2-mile jog on Monday, followed by ice and wrapping, and see how it goes.  Going to keep any lifting very light for another week or so.  Riding seems to be very good for it, and similar to some sprain rehab exercises I found online, but much more fun.  Weather has cooled off a lot and the wildfire smoke has diminished, so I won't have to choose between running and riding now that there's plenty of good weather and air for all of it now.

I've started logging my food and exercise with MyFitnessPal.  Just knowing I have to log what I eat keeps my intake lower, so I've lost a pound or two the first week, plus it's motivated me to exercise more so I can add calories for the day.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #1406 on: September 05, 2016, 02:55:06 PM »
Checking in:
  • Complete a 10K run
Done. 1:07:00.  Not great at all but I finished.  Both my 5K and 10K times put me at a 10-11 minute mile so I should figure out how to get it down to 8-9.

• Drop weight to 145lbs
Current weight:138lbs.  I beat this goal back in July but forgot to update it. 

Sadly haven't kept up with the strength training.  Gym membership ran out and haven't gotten around to renewing.  Maybe do bodyweight exercises and see how I do with that, though I don't have a lot of room to do it at home.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2016, 03:00:24 PM by RonMcCord »

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1407 on: September 05, 2016, 03:36:31 PM »
I seem to be stuck and have plateaued with my running times....

Been talking with a few friends at work about this... is it true you have to train by running slower?

I read an article saying that Mo Farah trains at 55% of race pace (which happens to be my race pace)... unfortunately for me, 55% of my race pace is a brisk walk!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1408 on: September 06, 2016, 06:23:17 AM »
I seem to be stuck and have plateaued with my running times....

Been talking with a few friends at work about this... is it true you have to train by running slower?

I read an article saying that Mo Farah trains at 55% of race pace (which happens to be my race pace)... unfortunately for me, 55% of my race pace is a brisk walk!

You should train at a variety of paces, with the bulk of your running at slower than race pace. A lot of training plans will have three quality days (speed work [fastest], tempo run [fast], long run [pretty slow]) and the rest of your runs are easy days. This calculator: www.mcmillanrunning.com/ can help you determine what paces you want to run for each of your runs. Slow, easy days allow your body to recover from the hard, fast days while still getting in mileage to overall help your endurance.

I used to run everything too fast. I was tired all the time. My race times suffered. Ended up injured a couples times (minor, luckily). Now I make sure my easy runs are slower and it allows me to go harder on my hard run days. My body handles it better and I'm running faster times in races.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:08:56 PM by hudsoncat »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1409 on: September 06, 2016, 06:53:31 AM »

2B1S, I think I have your goals updated. I removed the reference to "before Triathlon" for the cycling 50 miles and swimming. You are kicking some major ass. How'd SO deal with getting left in the dust? :)

• Run 1 mile <= 6:00
  • Run 5K < 22:00
  • Run 10K < 45:00
  • Complete Sprint triathlon < 1:30:00
  • >= 50 miles cycled
  • >= 1.2 miles swam
  • Complete Selden hills 10K < 54:00
  • Lose 20lbs of fat
  • Complete Manorville Hills Single Track <= 1:20:00
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 455lbs
  • 1 set/1 squat 405lbs
  • 1 set/1 bench press 315lbs
  • 1 set/12 pull ups
  • >= 1200lbs in 93KG class - USAPL Powerlifting championship on 12/17

Well I took the first step to realizing my goal of IRONMAN 70.3

I am officially registered for, and have housing secured for the inaugural IRONMAN Lake Placid 70.3, September 10th 2017.

The next 52 weeks 4 days are going to be very interesting. I am excited, scarred, nervous, and motivated.

w00h00000!!!!!!

#RIPGAINZ

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1410 on: September 06, 2016, 09:52:44 AM »
A belated thank you to those of you who responded to my question about working out fasting or non-fasting.  Fasting seems to be the popular choice and after doing my own experimenting, I agree.

My new circuit training was seriously kicking my butt (feeling really tired and sore all day but unable to take a nap to refresh) and I thought food would help but it made me sluggish.  So now I'm trying out a new schedule with fasted cardio in the a.m. and circuit training in the evening with a light walk afterwards to loosen things up.  So far this is working out well.  It does double my exercise time and will likely take a bit getting used to.  Did lots of resting and napping this long weekend so I'll have to push myself to be more productive today.

On a high note - I'm seeing some really good progress on my body!  I chucked the scale months ago so I now go just by how I look and feel.  I've lost a 2 clothing sizes and my body is looking damned good - if I do say so myself!  :)  This morning I realized that a few months ago, looking like this was just a wish, and now I've made it a reality.  I did this.  With my hard work, commitment and determination.  I'm really proud of myself.   

jordanread

« Reply #1411 on: September 06, 2016, 11:09:12 AM »
On a high note - I'm seeing some really good progress on my body!  I chucked the scale months ago so I now go just by how I look and feel.  I've lost a 2 clothing sizes and my body is looking damned good - if I do say so myself!  :)  This morning I realized that a few months ago, looking like this was just a wish, and now I've made it a reality.  I did this.  With my hard work, commitment and determination.  I'm really proud of myself.   

Look and feel is the best way to go IMO. It's so much more fun(ctional). You can't make charts, but who has time to make charts as we do stuff and admire ourselves in the mirror?

And yes. You did this. Keep on rocking it!

Well I took the first step to realizing my goal of IRONMAN 70.3

I am officially registered for, and have housing secured for the inaugural IRONMAN Lake Placid 70.3, September 10th 2017.

The next 52 weeks 4 days are going to be very interesting. I am excited, scarred, nervous, and motivated.

w00h00000!!!!!!

#RIPGAINZ

I don't speak hashtag, but the rest of it should be super fun. I can't wait to add that goal for next year. Is your freaking-out-ness causing any shifts in your routine? What is your routine?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1412 on: September 06, 2016, 11:28:39 AM »
I don't speak hashtag, but the rest of it should be super fun. I can't wait to add that goal for next year. Is your freaking-out-ness causing any shifts in your routine? What is your routine?

Right now I'm training for the Powerlifting meet December 17th so I have a 4X a week strength program in the gym.

I'm also running a 15k on a very hilly course October 9th, so I will be running 2X a week for the next 4 weeks in preparation for that.

Over the winter I plan on swimming with the local USMS group 1X a week at the local community college, and signing up at the YMCA pool to get an additional weekly session in.

Aside from that nothing too crazy, I MTB all winter (especially since I replaced my XC hardtail bike with a Fat Bike last week). Once spring comes I will jump on a 16-20 week plan to get race ready by september. Likely using Don Fink's 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MJDA178/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_x_pUVZxb1RNAF3S

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1413 on: September 06, 2016, 02:18:40 PM »
Fitness and fruit...

As I mentioned earlier, I'm 3 months into working on my fitness and weight goals, and I'm looking for advice on fruit consumption during this process.  I'm 48 and female so the process is slower and harder than it used to be.  My diet in general is pretty good and pretty low-carb with the exception of fruit.  I eat fruit every day, usually a couple of bananas and I'm wondering if I should reduce or eliminate it for a while to maximize the results from my efforts. 

I stick to low-impact exercise due to previous injuries on a knee and foot.  I currently do a 40 min circuit training dvd 5 days a week and have just added a 45 min low-impact cardio as well which I plan to do 5 days a week.  I also do some leisurely walking every day but don't count that because it's too slow for exercise. 

I welcome feedback and advice from experienced exercisers on this.  On the one hand, it's nice to have the fruit as a treat, but I'm wondering if I'm sabotaging my efforts to a certain degree. 

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1414 on: September 06, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »
Fruit is good, I tend to stick to fruit that has a lower calorie density and more fiber.

Berries, apples, bananas, are pretty good as far as satiety vs. calories.

I tend to stay away from citrus, grapes, etc.

At the end of the day the thing that will matter most is caloric intake. Fruit is not "bad", but you can get way too much sugar/carbs/calories if you over do it.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1415 on: September 06, 2016, 09:54:19 PM »
Loaded 40 80# bales of hay today, and get to stack them tomorrow.   I'm sorry to say it's the best workout  I've had in a long while.

jordanread

« Reply #1416 on: September 07, 2016, 06:15:55 AM »
Loaded 40 80# bales of hay today, and get to stack them tomorrow.   I'm sorry to say it's the best workout  I've had in a long while.
But how'd you like it? Capability win?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1417 on: September 07, 2016, 10:00:08 AM »
But how'd you like it? Capability win?

Yes, as an almost 40 year old woman, I'm glad I can climb on top of a big hay stack, throw down bales, and muscle them 5 high into the trailer.  Hopefully I can do the same when I'm 60.  Usually the hay seller will throw them down from the stack for you, but this guy was having a medical issue, so I had to do it all.  I was wishing I'd deadlifted more the last couple months.  Definitely feeling a little sore this morning.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1418 on: September 13, 2016, 02:29:17 PM »
Hello? Anyone still here?

I've fallen off the workout wagon. I only ran twice last week, then I came down with a mystery illness that knocked me out for about 5 days. I feel almost back to normal today... but I'm thinking about giving myself another day or two off just to make sure I've whipped this thing. I probably made a mistake coming back to work yesterday.

Right before I got sick I ran the local cross country course on a wet, rainy day. I can't believe how sore I felt the next day. My hips were particularly sore... I guess my stabilizers worked overtime on the wet grass. (I normally run pretty strictly on roads) I've been focused on hip mobility lately (tight hip issues), but clearly hip strength needs to become a focus. I'll continue the Myrtle Routine, but I am going to look at adding a few more hip strengtheners in a few times a week as well.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1419 on: September 13, 2016, 10:36:02 PM »
I haven't dropped by for a long while because my fitness went way south this year. The good news is that I'm heading back to my daily fitness class on 10/17. And, as if the Universe wanted to preempt any whining I might do about it being hard to get back into shape, I came across this today => https://www.upworthy.com/this-retired-nfl-player-put-up-an-amazing-gym-that-trains-people-with-disabilities?c=hpstream

Mission accomplished, there'll be no whining from me!

jordanread

« Reply #1420 on: September 14, 2016, 06:22:05 AM »
Damn Exhale. That article is definitely one of those ones that puts excusitis in perspective. Thanks for the link!

Hudsoncat, hips are tricky like that. I do love that experience of doing some kind of physical activity, and the next day, you have DOMS in a place you didn't even think was working all that hard. The human body is cool like that. I experience things like that with my hips and my core. Never feel it in the moment, but the next day, it's always surprising. What hip strengthening excercises are you going to include?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1421 on: September 14, 2016, 06:54:53 AM »
Thanks for reviving this thread hudsoncat! I need my inspiration on here.

I actually have been working out this past week! And next weekend I'm hiking my yearly "finish line" for my intense hiking season. It is 10.2 miles out and back. So in 5.1 miles, you climb 4900 feet. Kicks you ass nice and good. Not too bad when I've prepped adequately, brutal when I haven't. It'll be interesting to see how I do this year. I've done way more weight training than ever before, and way less hiking (thanks in large part to moving).

jordanread

« Reply #1422 on: September 14, 2016, 08:28:31 AM »
Thanks for reviving this thread hudsoncat! I need my inspiration on here.

I actually have been working out this past week! And next weekend I'm hiking my yearly "finish line" for my intense hiking season. It is 10.2 miles out and back. So in 5.1 miles, you climb 4900 feet. Kicks you ass nice and good. Not too bad when I've prepped adequately, brutal when I haven't. It'll be interesting to see how I do this year. I've done way more weight training than ever before, and way less hiking (thanks in large part to moving).

You did just find yourself impressed with a latest hike haven't you?

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1423 on: September 14, 2016, 08:41:37 AM »
I mentioned earlier in the thread I hurt my back pretty badly back in January, so I've been out of commission for most of this year.  Finally got back to where I can do some stuff a couple of months ago.  I'm still doing Convict Conditioning, plus I've started doing yoga (to help my back continue to heal).  Wow, yoga is hard!  Even harder than CC.  So far I really like it, even though I've discovered that I am:

1. Very inflexible (especially hamstrings)
2. Not particularly balanced (fall out of poses a lot)

Anyway, I'm not pushing myself quite as hard at CC at the moment, and in fact I've only been doing the pushups and pullups part lately.  But I have made progress.  My recent reboot after hurting my back, I started out only being able to do 5 pushups and 1 wobbly pullup.  Now I am at:

Full Pushups - 18
Full Pullups - 5

I also had gained a ton of weight when I hurt my back, I was close to 190.  I'm back to 175 now, and the weight is continuing to fall off.  For aerobic exercise I just try to ride my bike most days a week.

jordanread

« Reply #1424 on: September 14, 2016, 08:43:41 AM »
I mentioned earlier in the thread I hurt my back pretty badly back in January, so I've been out of commission for most of this year.  Finally got back to where I can do some stuff a couple of months ago.  I'm still doing Convict Conditioning, plus I've started doing yoga (to help my back continue to heal).  Wow, yoga is hard!  Even harder than CC.  So far I really like it, even though I've discovered that I am:

1. Very inflexible (especially hamstrings)
2. Not particularly balanced (fall out of poses a lot)

Anyway, I'm not pushing myself quite as hard at CC at the moment, and in fact I've only been doing the pushups and pullups part lately.  But I have made progress.  My recent reboot after hurting my back, I started out only being able to do 5 pushups and 1 wobbly pullup.  Now I am at:

Full Pushups - 18
Full Pullups - 5

I also had gained a ton of weight when I hurt my back, I was close to 190.  I'm back to 175 now, and the weight is continuing to fall off.  For aerobic exercise I just try to ride my bike most days a week.

Kicking ass. I would not do well if I ever had to deal with an injury.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1425 on: September 14, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »
Deloading after my initial 5 week powerlifting block. Will be retesting maxes on Saturday =)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1426 on: September 14, 2016, 11:14:00 AM »
I've fallen off a bit too. I had a very intense couple of years of training and have switched gears significantly. I find having no semblance of a daily routine really wrecks my attempts at a fitness habit. I have a few more weeks of yoga teacher training and then I should be able to get back into a rhythm.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: September 14, 2016, 04:02:02 PM »
It's ok, and often very beneficial to take a break from intense training.   I generally keep a pretty high base level and then as projects come up I adjust my training regime to meet specific goals.  These might be more aerobic/strength for long backcountry ski trips, strength/endurance for climbing projects, or a combination of things for back-to-back big mountain bike days.

What I avoid like the plague is gym workouts with no goal other than max weight.  It doesn't serve me well in my outdoor activities.   I'm ALWAYS in the gym with a specific activity/performance goal in mind.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1428 on: September 14, 2016, 04:20:07 PM »
Been chipping away. Started a new training cycle a week ago and for the first time in over 15 months decided to free squat (instead of box squat) to see how my hip would hold up. So far so good! I was pretty tentative at first but other than a bit of stiffness, it's been going great and the box squat numbers carried over as well as I could have hoped (which is to say free squat is lower, but not as much as I feared). Just did 3x5 today at 295, which was my 1RM last time I free squatted, so not too bad.

I am officially canceling my box squat goal for the year, and am now just focusing on trying to get my free squat to something like 375 so I have a decent base for 2017. It would be awesome to compete in a full powerlifting meet instead of deadlift only or push pull. Might make that a goal for 2017 as well!

jordanread

« Reply #1429 on: September 14, 2016, 04:20:46 PM »
It's ok, and often very beneficial to take a break from intense training.   I generally keep a pretty high base level and then as projects come up I adjust my training regime to meet specific goals.  These might be more aerobic/strength for long backcountry ski trips, strength/endurance for climbing projects, or a combination of things for back-to-back big mountain bike days.

What I avoid like the plague is gym workouts with no goal other than max weight.  It doesn't serve me well in my outdoor activities.   I'm ALWAYS in the gym with a specific activity/performance goal in mind.

YES!!!

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1430 on: September 14, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
Been chipping away. Started a new training cycle a week ago and for the first time in over 15 months decided to free squat (instead of box squat) to see how my hip would hold up. So far so good! I was pretty tentative at first but other than a bit of stiffness, it's been going great and the box squat numbers carried over as well as I could have hoped (which is to say free squat is lower, but not as much as I feared). Just did 3x5 today at 295, which was my 1RM last time I free squatted, so not too bad.

I am officially canceling my box squat goal for the year, and am now just focusing on trying to get my free squat to something like 375 so I have a decent base for 2017. It would be awesome to compete in a full powerlifting meet instead of deadlift only or push pull. Might make that a goal for 2017 as well!

As someone who also has a couple of long-term issues that limit both my squat and my DL somewhat, I really appreciate reading posts like this. It's a bit demoralizing sometimes to see the endless legions of bro-science "ATG SQUATS OR YOU'RE NOT EVEN WORKING OUT" or "DEADLIFTS EVERY DAY" type liftier-than-thou pronouncements on the intertrons.

jordanread

« Reply #1431 on: September 14, 2016, 05:41:55 PM »

As someone who also has a couple of long-term issues that limit both my squat and my DL somewhat, I really appreciate reading posts like this. It's a bit demoralizing sometimes to see the endless legions of bro-science "ATG SQUATS OR YOU'RE NOT EVEN WORKING OUT" or "DEADLIFTS EVERY DAY" type liftier-than-thou pronouncements on the intertrons.
I know this wasn't the goal of this post. However, in going to use bro-science in a sentence this week. Probably on a snarky manner, as it should be, but still, this week

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1432 on: September 14, 2016, 08:26:08 PM »

Heh, thanks. I do have semi lofty lifting aspirations, but only because I like testing myself and having goals to reach for. I also sort of nerd out about it, strange as that may sound. But I am too old to abuse my body in pursuit of my goals and in the end it's all about having fun and staying healthy. That said, the bro science youtuber can be pretty amusing, at times :)

I strongly dislike the bro culture that permeates many gyms, which is why I'm so thankful to have found mine. There's several injury/body-type limited lifters in my gym and pretty much all have stated that they have never felt more comfortable working out, which I know is a point of pride for the owner, even though he is a hard-core competitive lifter himself. One member, an extremely overweight but increasingly strong and badass mother (literally!) told me that she was regularly and openly ridiculed in the previous gym she used when first starting her fitness journey. That shit pisses me off so much.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 09:45:10 PM by Lagom »

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1433 on: September 14, 2016, 09:41:18 PM »
I mentioned earlier in the thread I hurt my back pretty badly back in January, so I've been out of commission for most of this year.  Finally got back to where I can do some stuff a couple of months ago.  I'm still doing Convict Conditioning, plus I've started doing yoga (to help my back continue to heal).  Wow, yoga is hard!  Even harder than CC. 

Great job! What kind of yoga are you doing?

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1434 on: September 15, 2016, 12:54:40 PM »
Damn Exhale. That article is definitely one of those ones that puts excusitis in perspective. Thanks for the link!

Hudsoncat, hips are tricky like that. I do love that experience of doing some kind of physical activity, and the next day, you have DOMS in a place you didn't even think was working all that hard. The human body is cool like that. I experience things like that with my hips and my core. Never feel it in the moment, but the next day, it's always surprising. What hip strengthening excercises are you going to include?

From talking to other runners, a lot of what has helped them is actually found in the Myrtle Routine (Clamshells, side leg lifts, donkey kicks, etc). So the plan right now is to continue the routine but build reps/sets and add some resistance bands/loops to clamshelles, leg lifts, etc.

Not that any of them seems like they'd break the bank, but anyone have any have a particular brand of resistance bands/loops they like?

Still haven't actually gotten back into running. I've come home every night this week feeling so exhausted that a walk with the dogs has been the extent of my physical activity. I'm not sure what this illness was/is (Fever, headache, and extreme fatigue have been my only symptoms), but it's really knocked me down!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1435 on: September 15, 2016, 12:59:38 PM »

From talking to other runners, a lot of what has helped them is actually found in the Myrtle Routine (Clamshells, side leg lifts, donkey kicks, etc). So the plan right now is to continue the routine but build reps/sets and add some resistance bands/loops to clamshelles, leg lifts, etc.

Not that any of them seems like they'd break the bank, but anyone have any have a particular brand of resistance bands/loops they like?

Still haven't actually gotten back into running. I've come home every night this week feeling so exhausted that a walk with the dogs has been the extent of my physical activity. I'm not sure what this illness was/is (Fever, headache, and extreme fatigue have been my only symptoms), but it's really knocked me down!

I like the bands from Iron Woody, great quality. I have the 41" paired Masters' pack, you may not need a set of pairs though or that many varied resistances. They offer a lot of options: https://ironwoodyfitness.com/product-category/bands/41-paired-layered-band-packages/

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1436 on: September 17, 2016, 11:12:28 AM »
Tested 1 rep maxes on the big 3 after the initial powerlifting training block.

Deep Squat - 420 x 1
Paused Bench - 315 x 1
Deadlift - 545 x 1
Total - 1280

Increased my total by 95lbs since August 1st! Very happy so far.

Followed this up with a sick 50 minute mountain bike ride where I hit some section PR's on Strava. Who said you can't do both ;)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1437 on: September 18, 2016, 04:11:56 PM »
I had 2 weeks of craziness (conference, travel) and only averaged 4 days/week of working out, down from 6 days/week.

Hopping back on the wagon today, going back up to 6-7 days/week. Need to get more dedicated about incorporating running and not just doing fun Barre classes and weight lifting.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1438 on: September 22, 2016, 08:18:30 AM »
Just complaining... running is hard. ugh.

Between busy season at work, tornado recovery efforts, and then being sick, my workouts took a hit and I'm certainly paying for it a bit now. It all just feels a bit harder than it did a few weeks ago. I've been doing this long enough now that I know it'll pass and be fun again soon enough. But in the meantime, running is hard. ugh.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1439 on: September 22, 2016, 09:28:18 AM »
I have neither posted nor even read any updates in at least 3 pages, and I haven't really done any real workouts in about as much time.
This happens pretty much every year - work out hard while I have a goal, meet that goal, then get distracted by other things - so I'm pretty much just accepting it.

But I am happy to report that not only did I pass my semi-annual fitness test (Coast Guard) without having done any running for about the 6 months prior, but at a local street fair last weekend I successfully flipped over the big tractor tire.  I had never tried it before, and wasn't sure I'd be able to do it, but I actually flipped it 8 times in a minute.  Which was definitely not the record for the day, but did put me in about the top 15 of the approximately 300,000 visitors (well, or at least the subset who tried, and could do it at least once)

But then this week I spent a day putting up metal fences and was so sore the next day, definitely a reminder that I need to keep active if I don't want to lose the ability to

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1440 on: September 22, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
Post half marathon goal achieving I've finally moved onto the sub 20min 5km goal (nothing like a month or so of holiday to derail your fitness). I've started the 5km Level II plan provided through the Garmin connect website. 3-4 days a week. 1 easy, 2 interval workouts and 1 longer run. The first week was easy enough...but seems like it really ramps up in coming weeks. Also back into SL5x5 aiming for atleast 2 days a week. Current challenge is backing up lifting/running days.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1441 on: September 22, 2016, 06:16:40 PM »
Been on pace as usual. As I mentioned earlier my third hernia reared its ugly head a couple months back so I had to change gears away from the soul crushing intensity I love.

Been working 60-70 hrs a week but diet and training still on point. This has been a staple in my life
For over half my life so it's beyond routine.

is the general consensus here still that people hate self improvement pics because it makes them u comfortable seeing other people? I remember last time a few members posted pics people were whining and feeling the need to leave this thread because others have different goals than their own.

jordanread

« Reply #1442 on: September 22, 2016, 07:02:42 PM »
Been on pace as usual. As I mentioned earlier my third hernia reared its ugly head a couple months back so I had to change gears away from the soul crushing intensity I love.

Been working 60-70 hrs a week but diet and training still on point. This has been a staple in my life

is the general consensus here still that people hate self improvement pics because it makes them u comfortable seeing other people? I remember last time a few members posted pics people were whining and feeling the need to leave this thread because others have different goals than their own.
Nope. There was some snark, and it was taken out of context. We love photos here (except you and Bakari... Because abs) 😛. And that's just me, not the rest of the members. Post away, please.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #1443 on: September 22, 2016, 07:18:07 PM »
I'd say go for it...I get the sense you want to. :)

I posted some before/after pics to much fanfare recently. Mine were more FAT to FIT.

I suspect yours are going be more along the lines of JACKED to REALLY JACKED.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1444 on: September 22, 2016, 07:55:05 PM »

Nope. There was some snark, and it was taken out of context. We love photos here (except you and Bakari... Because abs)

no worries, quite gone! :-) That wasn't really "real", just a well timed peak

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1445 on: September 23, 2016, 01:16:55 AM »

Nope. There was some snark, and it was taken out of context. We love photos here (except especially you and Bakari... Because abs) 😛. And that's just me, not the rest of the members. Post away, please.

FTFY.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1446 on: September 23, 2016, 12:57:32 PM »
Haha well I think my days of "more jacked" have pretty much peaked. I don't know that I can get too much beyond where I'm at while maintaining my health. I can, however, focus more on weak spots and bring different things into unison. Looking at this picture, I definitely have some strong points but I think I need to give my triceps more attention. I think I'll cut back on a couple other muscle groups slightly on the day I train triceps, and try and get an extra exercise in for them.

The great thing about filters is they can mask my incredibly white skin lol.

jordanread

« Reply #1447 on: September 23, 2016, 01:49:31 PM »
Haha well I think my days of "more jacked" have pretty much peaked. I don't know that I can get too much beyond where I'm at while maintaining my health. I can, however, focus more on weak spots and bring different things into unison. Looking at this picture, I definitely have some strong points but I think I need to give my triceps more attention. I think I'll cut back on a couple other muscle groups slightly on the day I train triceps, and try and get an extra exercise in for them.

What are these filters you speak of? My pics here are all about being super inflexible and super pale (JS said something about 'out-pasty ing him). Dude...You kick ass. I will now leave this thread open for people who are all about that stuff (like vascularity) to comment. For science...I think. :D

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1448 on: September 23, 2016, 02:05:02 PM »

Gotta admit @use2betrix, I was a little surprised at how fast your powerlifting numbers had progressed, but not any more! Looking good, my man. One day I hope to enter the jacked category. Damn ectomorph genes make gaining mass such a slow process. At least it's fun seeing the surprise on people's faces when someone that looks decidedly not like you (aka lanky ol' me) pulls 545. Let's not talk about my bench though... Gotta a little buddha power-belly I need to work off as well from all of the dirty bulking I've been doing, but I'm scared about losing strength. Any tips on that front?

I'm also curious in general how you approach your diet. Do you track everything? I've been pretty resistant to it (due to laziness), but am slowly giving into the idea that I need to be better on that front if I want to make the progress I am hoping for.

Also on the #pasty hype train over here!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1449 on: September 23, 2016, 02:05:20 PM »
Posting some Before/After's

Before pic was @ 274lbs (down 21lbs from my heaviest)

After Pic was @ 176lbs (down a total of 123lbs from my heaviest)

Time between the pics is ~4 years.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!