Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402401 times)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1350 on: August 15, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »
Cycled my longest training ride of the year on Sunday!

20 miles @ 16.8 mph

Powerlifting training has been going really well. It's very taxing and I am trying to get used to hitting so many different compound movements on the same day.

Interesting side note on powerlifting vs. cycling. I took a ride for the first time in probably 2-3 years the other day* and while I could be misremembering how it used to feel, I swear I had oodles more power and was going way faster than I used to be able to maintain. I suppose it's only logical with all of the leg strength powerlifting builds, but it's always an interesting and gratifying experience to realize how cross-functional that strength can be. My conditioning, on the other hand...

*I know, heresy on this board! Although in my defense, I do walk to many places, including the grocery store
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:59:58 PM by Lagom »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1351 on: August 15, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »
Cycled my longest training ride of the year on Sunday!

20 miles @ 16.8 mph

Powerlifting training has been going really well. It's very taxing and I am trying to get used to hitting so many different compound movements on the same day.

Interesting side note on powerlifting vs. cycling. I took a ride for the first time in probably 2-3 years the other day* and while I could be misremembering how it used to feel, I swear I had oodles more power and was going way faster that I used to be able to maintain. I suppose it's only logical with all of the leg strength powerlifting builds, but it's always an interesting and gratifying experience to realize how cross-functional that strength can be. My conditioning, on the other hand...

*I know, heresy on this board! Although in my defense, I do walk to many places, including the grocery store

Strength training is definitely beneficial for cycling muscles.

Have you seen this? Pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHvu_hC9rg

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1352 on: August 15, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »

Strength training is definitely beneficial for cycling muscles.

Have you seen this? Pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHvu_hC9rg

I had not seen it. Pretty good! Even crazier, check this out. It's long, but holy shit is the cyclist a beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VO7VMmSHCo

It also says in the video his max squat is 605 at ~210 bodyweight :O

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1353 on: August 15, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
That's nuts! Bet it was close to the longest 5 minutes of their lives.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1354 on: August 15, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »
Seriously. As many of my powerlifting buddies say half-jokingly, anything over 5 reps is cardio! Granted, these are pretty strong guys and they're only squatting their body weight, but doing that many reps in 5 minutes has still gotta burn like hell.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1355 on: August 16, 2016, 06:52:57 AM »
My wife teaches spin classes 3-4 days a week and it's helped her a ton overall. Her legs have always been pretty beastly though. She squatted 225x6 last week and she's 120 lbs.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1356 on: August 16, 2016, 07:24:53 AM »
My wife teaches spin classes 3-4 days a week and it's helped her a ton overall. Her legs have always been pretty beastly though. She squatted 225x6 last week and she's 120 lbs.

almost 2X BW for 6 reps is pretty damn insane man.

That would be like me squatting 405x6, that's more than my current 1RM lol

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1357 on: August 16, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »
Goals to start the year
1 set/1 squat 405lbs
1 set/1 deadlift 495lbs
1 set/1 bench press 275lbs

Current Status
1 set/1 squat 375lbs (30 lbs to go)
1 set/4 rep deadlift 455lbs (max unknown)
1 set/1 bench press 270lbs (5 lbs to go)

Overall pretty happy with things.  Have dealt with some minor hip tightness due to some loose squat form which has slowed me down there.  Additionally, I got too hyped up after a set of 455lb deads for 4 reps that I over-estimated my max for the subsequent training block and just missed a ton of reps.  Have been focusing a ton on bench while letting the lower body recover and things are going great there; should have an outside shot at a 290ish press by year end.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1358 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
Goals to start the year
1 set/1 squat 405lbs
1 set/1 deadlift 495lbs

Current Status

Overall pretty happy with things.  Have dealt with some minor hip tightness due to some loose squat form which has slowed me down there.  Additionally, I got too hyped up after a set of 455lb deads for 4 reps that I over-estimated my max for the subsequent training block and just missed a ton of reps.  Have been focusing a ton on bench while letting the lower body recover and things are going great there; should have an outside shot at a 290ish press by year end.

Come to Philly on December 17th and hit a powerlifting meet with me!

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1359 on: August 16, 2016, 08:42:58 AM »
I'm having a personal thing, and it's been amazing for my rage levels. I went to the gym on Sunday, and I ran on Monday. Absolutely crushed it.

JR, will you please mark my goal off as complete? My new goal is to hit the max reps on level 1 of Convict Conditioning. This will probably bleed into 2017. 

jordanread

« Reply #1360 on: August 16, 2016, 09:03:30 AM »
I'm having a personal thing, and it's been amazing for my rage levels. I went to the gym on Sunday, and I ran on Monday. Absolutely crushed it.

JR, will you please mark my goal off as complete? My new goal is to hit the max reps on level 1 of Convict Conditioning. This will probably bleed into 2017.

Kicking ass SS! Glad that S&F is providing a nice output for your rage. I'll comment more on the personal stuff in your journal, once I figure out the words. Where are you currently with the Big 6?

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1361 on: August 16, 2016, 09:31:18 AM »

Kicking ass SS! Glad that S&F is providing a nice output for your rage. I'll comment more on the personal stuff in your journal, once I figure out the words. Where are you currently with the Big 6?

3x20 on all the exercises.

jordanread

« Reply #1362 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07:12 AM »

3x20 on all the exercises.

Very cool. That particular goal may not bleed over as you continue kicking so much ass.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #1363 on: August 16, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »
I know there aren't a ton of cardio people on here, but I came across a resource I wanted to share. I've been having some right calf pain and knee pain off and on for a while now. Nothing terrible, but something that always feels like it could be terrible if I push a little too hard. A couple months ago I ran into a college buddy who happens to be a PT now, we were comparing running stories and I ended up mentioning my calf/knee issue. After a few questions and having me do some random things, he suggested (well, first that I see my Dr or a PT to get a real diagnosis) that I look into the Myrtl routine. It strengthens your "hip girdle" area which helps with a host of leg issues that might have their root cause in your hips. I've been doing it after every run for a while now for a couple of months. Overall my legs have felt better than they have in a while. Here is the .Pdf: http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

There is also a YouTube video if you google it. Might be a help for other cardio folks looking for more strength and range of motion in your hips. It doesn't take long and seems to be helping me. A lot of little twinges and minor pains have gone away the longer I've been doing it. No calf or knee pain in the last month.

That looks really useful for me and my hips problem--thanks for sharing!

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1364 on: August 16, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
12 mi hike, tagged two peaks, 5,500 ft of elevation gain.  5 hrs 15 minutes.  Includes two short food breaks atop the peaks.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1365 on: August 17, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »

almost 2X BW for 6 reps is pretty damn insane man.

That would be like me squatting 405x6, that's more than my current 1RM lol

Yep, she squats more than me lb for lb. I'm 195 right now and did 345x6 a few weeks back.

I have her beat on decline bench at least. Today she did 75x14 and I did 275x12 lol.

She usually turns some heads when she squats, and I'm always proud as can be. When she started lifting with me 3 years ago she was doing reps at like 95 or so.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1366 on: August 18, 2016, 03:59:43 PM »
Okay, I was sick last weekend and this week is crazy at work, so I'm pretty low on workouts this week. Committing that despite traveling to run a conference for work all weekend, I will still:
1) Morning Barre3 class @ 6AM friday, Stretching Friday night after 2 hour drive
2) Morning run of 3 miles before conference on Saturday
3) Morning run of 3 miles before conference Sunday

Thanks for being my accountability!

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1367 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:06 AM »
Goals to start the year
1 set/1 squat 405lbs
1 set/1 deadlift 495lbs

Current Status

Come to Philly on December 17th and hit a powerlifting meet with me!

It's definitely on the bucket list, where in NYC are you and where do you lift?  I'm on the UES and go to NYSC

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1368 on: August 22, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »
I hit the weight room last night, and then this morning did one of my favorite 'chore cardio' things: Lawnmower Cardio. This consists of the following routine:

1. Have a lawnmower that requires some effort, whether reel, heavy gas, heavier electric, etc.

2. Mow that lawn like you MEAN IT. That is to say, FAST.

3. If you're not breathing hard at the end, you're doing it wrong.

Treating mowing a reasonable-size lawn with a push mower like the cardio exercise it is - and then raising the intensity by deliberately going fast - is a very rewarding experience: you get a good cardio workout of a somewhat unusual type, and your lawn is mowed!

jordanread

« Reply #1369 on: August 22, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »
I hit the weight room last night, and then this morning did one of my favorite 'chore cardio' things: Lawnmower Cardio. This consists of the following routine:

1. Have a lawnmower that requires some effort, whether reel, heavy gas, heavier electric, etc.

Treating mowing a reasonable-size lawn with a push mower like the cardio exercise it is - and then raising the intensity by deliberately going fast - is a very rewarding experience: you get a good cardio workout of a somewhat unusual type, and your lawn is mowed!

Bracken_Joy should totally read this part!!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1370 on: August 22, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »

1) Morning Barre3 class @ 6AM friday, Stretching Friday night after 2 hour drive Done!
2) Morning run of 3 miles before conference on Saturday  Done!
3) Morning run of 3 miles before conference Sunday   Done!

jordanread

« Reply #1371 on: August 22, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »

1) Morning Barre3 class @ 6AM friday, Stretching Friday night after 2 hour drive Done!
2) Morning run of 3 miles before conference on Saturday  Done!
3) Morning run of 3 miles before conference Sunday   Done!

Holy shit! You can run 3 miles? Like in a row? Without stopping? You are a monster!!!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1372 on: August 22, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
Holy shit! You can run 3 miles? Like in a row? Without stopping? You are a monster!!!
Lol! I can run a LOT more than that! 15 miles is my personal maximum I'll let myself run (for knee reasons).  ;-)

If only I can find the time with my crazypants job to run more that ...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1373 on: August 22, 2016, 04:47:14 PM »

Bracken_Joy should totally read this part!!

Ha! I love it. Yet another reason my choice of reel mower was totally badass ;) And maybe will slightly redeem the check-in I'm about to do:

This month has, by and large, sucked for fitness. Well, for lifting at any rate- fitness in general is debatable. I just completed my THIRD weight lifting day for all of August. Seriously. With moving, stepping back up to full time for work, and my coach (DH) working so much more, it just hasn't been happening.

Things that make this slightly better: I have been doing a LOT of the "chore cardio". Steam cleaning the whole house (hallways twice), mopping everything, deep scrubbing both bathrooms including the grout, scrubbing the baseboards, and not to mention the actual moving of heavy things. Also, there is a "yoga room" in our house where I leave my mat out all the time, so most days I've hopped on for a couple basic sun salutations to keep things moving.

Things that make this worse: I have no idea how or if this will improve. I have good motivation to sort it out quick though: our timeline for starting to try for a family is fast approaching. While I have no intention of scaling heavily back on fitness during pregnancy (assuming it's medically uncomplicated), you're also not supposed to *expand* your routine during that time either. So whatever I've got headed into it all is what I've got to work with pretty much!

Anyone on here (or your partner) stay active throughout a pregnancy? I'm reading "The Pregnant Athlete", but personal experiences are always appreciated.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1374 on: August 22, 2016, 06:24:41 PM »
Things that make this slightly better: I have been doing a LOT of the "chore cardio".

While I haven't got any advice on fitness while pregnant (being a dude!), I feel like you and I might be on the same page with the chore cardio.

But SoccerLounge! What makes it 'chore cardio', instead of just doing regular chores and saying you did cardio?

That is easy, my friends! Simply this: you do it fast as fuck.

You keep that pace UP. You treat it like you'd treat a run, or a bike ride, or a hard training swim, and you KEEP THE PACE UP. You don't take those little five second breaks, and when you have to move areas or etc. you do it as fast as possible. It should feel like you're racing through the chore (without sacrificing quality, if possible!) and at the end, and throughout, you should have an elevated heart rate and be breathing hard(er). Because that's kind of how you can tell it's cardio. :)

Note: chores that are kind of a pain or a bit physically tricky do not constitute chore cardio. It has to actually be sustained cardiovascular exertion to count. You can make a great many chores into chore cardio, but you might have to work at a rather faster pace than you're accustomed to!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1375 on: August 24, 2016, 09:04:23 AM »
Training Update/Ramblings

I have the Triathlon this sunday, this was my first triathlon ever last August.

I finished in 1h 46m 29s last year. My goal is to knock off at least 10 minutes this time around. *fingers crossed*

I have been cycling and running a bit more.

I cycled 24 miles on Sunday and felt great after. The only thing that will be a challenge is the hilliness of the course. I train largely on flat and this is on the hilly north shore of Long Island.

Powerlifting training has been going extremely well. I am finished week 3 of this training block tomorrow.

Some highlights include

235 x 4 x 4 on Paused Bench
425 x 3 x 3 on Deadlifts
300 x 5 x 5 on Deep Squats

Weight is down to 211 as of this morning, which is the lightest/leanest I have been in ~2 years.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1376 on: August 25, 2016, 10:43:40 AM »
I just realized that I met my first fitness goal a couple of weeks ago!  Yay!  Over 3 months of steady and consistent working out.

To celebrate I started a new, more rigorous workout today.  It was great!  Worked out some new muscles and got a great sweat out of it. 

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1377 on: August 25, 2016, 11:25:19 AM »
I just realized that I met my first fitness goal a couple of weeks ago!  Yay!  Over 3 months of steady and consistent working out.

To celebrate I started a new, more rigorous workout today.  It was great!  Worked out some new muscles and got a great sweat out of it.

Nice job! It's an awesome feeling, realizing that somewhere along the way working out has become a genuine pleasure, and not just an uncomfortable means to an end.

For my own update, I tried free squatting for the first time in 1.5 years yesterday (have been box squatting that whole time due to hip issues). Worked up to about 50% of my box squat max and did some sets of 5, just to get a feel for it. I really enjoyed it in some ways, it's just a movement I prefer to box squats, but I was definitely aware of my hip in a way that made me wary of pushing things further. Not exactly pain, but some discomfort for sure. Sigh. The pleasures of getting older...

jordanread

« Reply #1378 on: August 25, 2016, 12:11:39 PM »

Way to kick ass M!! Did you want me to mark that goal as complete, or leave it?

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1379 on: August 25, 2016, 02:14:09 PM »

Hi Jordan - yes, please mark my first goal as complete.  I'll be happy to see it crossed off!  And it will motivate me to finish out the year strong. 

jordanread

« Reply #1380 on: August 26, 2016, 01:57:45 PM »

Hi Jordan - yes, please mark my first goal as complete.  I'll be happy to see it crossed off!  And it will motivate me to finish out the year strong.

You should feel happy. Done!!

It's amazing what a little strike through does to the ego.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1381 on: August 26, 2016, 02:09:51 PM »
Well, tomm was supposed to be my Spartan race....but had a pretty nasty Mountain bike wreck last week breaking my Collar bone in the process so out of commission for a while.

2nd year in a row my attempts been foiled. Not sure if I'll try again next year or not. Also going to have to miss a 40 mile organized Mountain bike ride in Early October that I really enjoyed last year. But hopefully I'll be 100% by Ski Season!!

Legg-Stache

« Reply #1382 on: August 26, 2016, 02:26:44 PM »
My 2016 Goals (I realize I am late to the party, will try harder next year!)

1) Strength training >= 3x per week
2) Cardio/Yoga 2x per week
3) End Goal -> Move from 161lb to 175lb by Jan 2017

Currently sitting at 167lb through vigorous exercise and eating right + a lot!!

Go Team GO!

jordanread

« Reply #1383 on: August 26, 2016, 02:28:32 PM »
Well, tomm was supposed to be my Spartan race....but had a pretty nasty Mountain bike wreck last week breaking my Collar bone in the process so out of commission for a while.

2nd year in a row my attempts been foiled. Not sure if I'll try again next year or not. Also going to have to miss a 40 mile organized Mountain bike ride in Early October that I really enjoyed last year. But hopefully I'll be 100% by Ski Season!!

Jon Stewart did the same thing. And still kicked ass. I'm sure you've got this.

Also, your collarbone breaking means it's working. That damn annoying thing is a shock absorber.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1384 on: August 27, 2016, 09:01:14 AM »
Thanks Jordan!  And yes, the ego is easily pleased.  :)

Today I'm sore all over from my new workout.  I guess I exercised more new muscles than I thought!  I really don't want to do do it today, cause of the soreness, but I know that I'll regret it if I don't.  I'll reward myself with a nap this afternoon for doing it. 

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1385 on: August 29, 2016, 08:24:07 AM »
I hit 1000 miles biking for the last 4 months!

This has been my goal since the end of May, when I hit 280 for the month.  The milage is for May-August  The bulk of it has been commuting (800+ miles), but I'm super excited!  Now to see what I can do over the craziness of the next 4 months. :)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1386 on: August 29, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »
Jordan, I knocked off a HUGE goal of mine over the weekend.

I completed a very challenging Sprint Triathlon Course in 1h 27 minutes, cutting just over 20 minutes time from my last years finish!

Not only that, but this year the swim was 1100 meters vs 800 last year. All of the swimming I did with the USMS group paid off dividends.

My SO completed the race as well, finishing in a little under 2 hours, which made me EXTREMELY proud.

I also, a few months ago have swam over 1.2 miles in a single session which was another one of my goals.

I will not be completing an Ironman 70.3 race this year so you can remove that goal for me.

I am looking at doing either Timberman 70.3 next August or the inaugural Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 next September instead. 

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1387 on: August 29, 2016, 10:16:08 AM »

I completed a very challenging Sprint Triathlon Course in 1h 27 minutes, cutting just over 20 minutes time from my last years finish!

Not only that, but this year the swim was 1100 meters vs 800 last year. All of the swimming I did with the USMS group paid off dividends.

My SO completed the race as well, finishing in a little under 2 hours, which made me EXTREMELY proud.

That's awesome! Good for you!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #1388 on: August 29, 2016, 01:02:27 PM »
So I sprained my ankle falling off a horse about 10 days ago.  It's still sore (and I had a sharp pain when I forgot to be careful taking off my riding boots this morning), and has a tiny bit of puffiness below the ankle bone.  Need to get back to working out though.  Any tips on what I should or shouldn't be doing until it's back to 100%?

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1389 on: August 30, 2016, 07:45:32 AM »
Question for you regular exercisers:

How do you get your endorphins on your rest days?

I know my body needs regular rest days to recover, but I really miss my endorphins on those days.  I had a rest day yesterday and I felt blah and tired most of the day.  When I work out I feel great - energetic and happy - all day. 

Any ideas on how to get my fix?

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1390 on: August 30, 2016, 08:15:50 AM »

I know my body needs regular rest days to recover, but I really miss my endorphins on those days.  I had a rest day yesterday and I felt blah and tired most of the day.  When I work out I feel great - energetic and happy - all day. 

Sex

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1391 on: August 30, 2016, 08:17:12 AM »

Sex

Alright then!  I'm gonna get right on that.  :)

jordanread

« Reply #1392 on: August 30, 2016, 08:33:56 AM »

I also, a few months ago have swam over 1.2 miles in a single session which was another one of my goals.

I will not be completing an Ironman 70.3 race this year so you can remove that goal for me.

I am looking at doing either Timberman 70.3 next August or the inaugural Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 next September instead.

2B1S, I think I have your goals updated. I removed the reference to "before Triathlon" for the cycling 50 miles and swimming. You are kicking some major ass. How'd SO deal with getting left in the dust? :)

• Run 1 mile <= 6:00
  • Run 5K < 22:00
  • Run 10K < 45:00
  • Complete Sprint triathlon < 1:30:00
  • >= 50 miles cycled
  • >= 1.2 miles swam
  • Complete Selden hills 10K < 54:00
  • Lose 20lbs of fat
  • Complete Manorville Hills Single Track <= 1:20:00
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 455lbs
  • 1 set/1 squat 405lbs
  • 1 set/1 bench press 315lbs
  • 1 set/12 pull ups
  • >= 1200lbs in 93KG class - USAPL Powerlifting championship on 12/17

Between you guys and the people on the Nerd Fitness forums I've apparently been driven to insanity. Keeping in mind I've done one 5k in my life and just started riding again last August after not having a bike for 15ish years, here's what I've signed up for so far:

6/10 - 23.5 mile charity bike ride for United Way (high of 98 forecasted) Done. Ended up "only" doing 20 miles due to extreme heat
6/18 - Insane Inflatable 5k Done
6/25 - Local 5k Mud Run Done
6/26 - 16 mile bike ride to support the local trails (which will be 20 miles for us because the start/end point is close to home) Done and we actually ended up doing 26 miles total since we got done with the 16 mile route 30 minutes before they served lunch so we hoped on the 6 miles one for fun (plus 4 miles round trip to get there)
8/6 - The Great Inflatable Race (added last minute) Done. DH ran this one with me. Not quite a full 5k but fun
8/20 - Different local 5k Mud Run Done
8/27 - Yet another local 5k Mud Run Done!

So that's three mudruns, two fun runs, and two 20+ mile bike rides from a woman who's run one 5k in her life before this year and hadn't ridden a bike in 15+ years before last August
I'm out of scheduled events for the year. I'll probably do a 4ish mile trail run in November but haven't officially signed up yet.
I'm looking at possibly starting to travel for OCR's next year. I'm eyeing a Warrior Dash in April and a Spartan Sprint in May in neighboring states (JR, I'll be talking to you if I sign up for the Spartan since it's in your neck of the woods). I'm somewhat eyeing a Tough Mudder in October but that's 10-12 miles that I'm not ready for yet and they don't have a half-Mudder close enough.

I've been strength training 3x/week and occasionally doing cardio. Weight is slowly but steadily dropping. Last week I hit a milestone of 50lbs lost from my highest in 2012 (25lbs down for the year). My body image is improving and I even managed to buy a pair of workout tanks online without trying them on that I really felt good in.

I finally broke down and bought a night splint for my plantar faciitis that seems to be helping. After my race Saturday (where I wore shoes that are horrible for my PF but great for getting in mud since there's no padding) my foot hurt the worst it has possibly ever, but 5 hours in the splint and it hurt less than normal yesterday.

I think I need to get the main goal post updated. That is some awesome stuff you've accomplished. And most definitely hit me up if you are going to be in the area. MXT and I may be able to put you up. Shoot, if I start running...we may even join you. Usually, I refuse unless being chased.

So I sprained my ankle falling off a horse about 10 days ago.  It's still sore (and I had a sharp pain when I forgot to be careful taking off my riding boots this morning), and has a tiny bit of puffiness below the ankle bone.  Need to get back to working out though.  Any tips on what I should or shouldn't be doing until it's back to 100%?

I hate sprained ankles. At least it's not broken. Riding horses is good for core strength right? Maybe some pilate type things? Pushups, leg raises, and the like? My suggestion is to just keep weight off of it, until it's not so twingy.

What about some super low impact cardio stuff? Biking and the like.

ETA: 2B1S beat me to my preferred method. Cocaine is way less Mustachian.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1393 on: August 30, 2016, 09:31:17 AM »

100% honesty here? Sex. Active recovery at it's finest.

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1394 on: August 31, 2016, 08:43:00 AM »
A big THANKS to those of you who replied to my question and enlightened me on the sex answer.  What a perfect solution!
The hubby and I are going to be enjoying my rest days a whole lot more...  :)

wildbeast

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1395 on: August 31, 2016, 12:52:50 PM »
Another question for the regular exercisers:

If you're working out in the morning, do you eat something before your workout, or do you exercise on an empty stomach?

jordanread

« Reply #1396 on: August 31, 2016, 12:57:58 PM »

If you're working out in the morning, do you eat something before your workout, or do you exercise on an empty stomach?
There was a decent conversation about this earlier in this thread. I'm kind of busy right now, but I'll find it at some point. I know both me and Bakari chimed in.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1397 on: August 31, 2016, 10:05:25 PM »

This is purely based on timing for me. If I start at 6AM or before, I eat after. If I workout at 6:30 or later, I will eat before.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1398 on: September 01, 2016, 08:38:56 AM »

I actually was curious about this too.

This morning I woke up around 6am and went to a "boot camp" style circuits class at 8:30am. IT KICKED MY BUTT. I now feel like puking and passing out all at once. I was curious whether this may be partly due to the fact that I only had a couple of sips of coffee and no food prior. Or, you know, just because I'm super weaksauce (which I already know to be true).

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1399 on: September 01, 2016, 09:03:24 AM »
I ALWAYS train fasted when I lift first thing in the morning.

I have a fairly large meal in the evening, and it has all night to digest.

Glycogen stores topped off, blood glucose level, etc are all pretty good in the morning. I eat immediately after lifting.