Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402872 times)

redbird

• Pencil Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1300 on: July 25, 2016, 11:22:11 PM »
I did successfully exercise on Sunday. It left me sore enough that I realized I should probably do a rest day when I woke up today/Monday. So I'm back on tomorrow/Tuesday for day 2 of my exercise goal. I was hoping to exercise a bit every single day, but I think I'll have to build up to that. I'm just too out of shape from years of sit down office jobs. I did not do anything exercise-wise post-FIRE until now.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1301 on: July 26, 2016, 06:14:19 AM »
Jordan, you can add an official goal for me.

I want to total 1200+lbs in the 93KG class at the USAPL Philadelphia LOVE Powerlifting Championships on December 17th.

20 1/2 weeks out. Will be testing maxes and running a 16 week training block leading up to the meet. Any suggestions on a good 16 week program to prep for a PL meet?

Yesterday I did a deloadish pull session

Kept it lighter and lower volume

Highlight - Barbell Deadlifts
225 x 8
275 x 8
315 x 5
365 x 5
405 x 3
405 x 5

Today was a very nice upper push workout.

Highlight was Barbell Bench Press
225 x 8
255 x 5
280 x 5
280 x 5
280 x 5 (Oh man, this is SUPER close to my all time strongest)

Followed by accessory work and a slow 21 minute 2 mile run.

Woke up 216.4lbs with my 7 day rolling average weight at 216.0

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1302 on: July 26, 2016, 06:38:54 AM »
Started bulking Saturday. Quickly reminded how much harder it is than cutting.

Total for workout days: 3505 calories, 327g carbs, 83g fat, 342g protein

Just dirty bulk on Snickers bars and McD's. You know you want to*

* - maybe not ;)

Man, I respect bodybuilders that bother to track all that stuff, but give me a dirty bulk any day where I don't have to count anything to make gains. Fortunately, I have found one recipe that helps a lot while being semi healthy (or at least not McDonald's level unhealthy). Protein shake with whole milk, a couple giant scoops of peanut butter, a banana, and a scoop of protein powder.  Tastes pretty good, lots of good fat and protein, and ridiculously caloric. One or two of those a day and I can get away with eating semi-clean the rest of the time while continuing my lazy-man's bulking. :)

Oh yeah, I'd consider that pretty healthy for sure.

I have done somewhat dirtier bulks in the past, I.e. Like 2500-3000 calories/day healthy food, then go to mcdonalds and get 1200 calories of crap.

I haven't bulked hard in a while so this is a bit more trial and error. My diet is rarely "extremely strict" I usually eat a bit less during the week so I can always afford a decent cheat meal with my wife on the weekends, I just don't let it get stupid out of control. My stuff is easy to track because I eat the same breakfast every day, have shakes for meals 2 and 5, eat the same thing for meal 3 and 4 (alternate between 5 different meals) and alternate between 2 different dinners. All my meals are delicious and I get enough diversity it makes it easy. Like breakfast is 2 eggs, 1 cup egg whites, 1/2 banana, 3 pieces of Ezekiel bread with apple butter. Pretty delicious.

I've gone months of 4000-5000 calorie bulks in the past where I rarely hovered above 12% BF. And that was at 5'10 and 220 lbs eating 1500 calories of crap a day on top of my healthy food. I took about 8 months off last year and lost a lot from where I was at. I've been hard back at it about 10 months and it's coming back slowly but surely.

Id post a pic of me bulking at 220 before my break, but I know it makes members with different goals uncomfortable seeing fit people without shirts on. Oddly enough, you'd think bodybuilders would carry that egocentric stigma of being less respectful of what others do fitness wise, however this forum is obviously the complete opposite. I was amazed to see people a few pages back in a general fitness thread whining that "maybe this thread isn't for me" because others have different goals. Especially when the physique/bodybuilding type people of this thread makeup probably less than 10% of the people that post.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 06:56:35 AM by use2betrix »

jordanread

« Reply #1303 on: July 26, 2016, 07:19:37 AM »

I want to total 1200+lbs in the 93KG class at the USAPL Philadelphia LOVE Powerlifting Championships on December 17th.

I've got that goal added to the tracking post! That sounds like an awesome challenge. How are you doing on the other goals? Do you still have some of those triathlons to do, or did I miss them?

Id post a pic of me bulking at 220 before my break, but I know it makes members with different goals uncomfortable seeing fit people without shirts on. Oddly enough, you'd think bodybuilders would carry that egocentric stigma of being less respectful of what others do fitness wise, however this forum is obviously the complete opposite.

Feel free to post a pic. I'd be interested just because I realized yesterday that I don't really have a frame of reference when it comes to bulking. I think since my goals and everything are very much all about general function, I don't quite get the concept. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, and I'll google it later. But I was discussing this thread with the SO yesterday, and I realized that I must be missing some fundamental benefit. I could only fathom of it being useful when it comes to specific tasks that require one to either anchor or leverage bodyweight. Oh, and fighting, where they have weight classes. So what am I missing? Is the idea of bulking just to increase calories so you can have more energy to workout more, is it a muscle gaining goal where you want to maintain your BF% but get the weight up, thereby gaining more muscle? And I get cutting and bulking being two sides of the same coin (maybe it's like the conversations earlier where one is all about losing fat, and the other is gaining muscle), and that is a totally different coin than just maintenance to remain healthy and capable.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1304 on: July 26, 2016, 10:49:17 AM »

Feel free to post a pic. I'd be interested just because I realized yesterday that I don't really have a frame of reference when it comes to bulking. I think since my goals and everything are very much all about general function, I don't quite get the concept. I feel like I'm missing something obvious, and I'll google it later. But I was discussing this thread with the SO yesterday, and I realized that I must be missing some fundamental benefit. I could only fathom of it being useful when it comes to specific tasks that require one to either anchor or leverage bodyweight. Oh, and fighting, where they have weight classes. So what am I missing? Is the idea of bulking just to increase calories so you can have more energy to workout more, is it a muscle gaining goal where you want to maintain your BF% but get the weight up, thereby gaining more muscle? And I get cutting and bulking being two sides of the same coin (maybe it's like the conversations earlier where one is all about losing fat, and the other is gaining muscle), and that is a totally different coin than just maintenance to remain healthy and capable.

Personally, I see "bulking" as coming in two fundamental forms. As a powerlifter, I am less concerned about BF% and physique and more concerned about lifting the most weight possible. In general, greater body weight = more strength, even if there's a little extra fat thrown in there. Different powerlifters have different tolerance levels when it comes to fat, and for vanity reasons, I personally don't like to go too high there, but I also don't bother tracking anything other than eating as much as I can stand when I want to gain weight, and eating a bit more reasonably when I want to "cut" (aka be less fat). One nice thing about gaining muscle is that losing fat usually becomes increasingly easy, especially if you have an average to fast metabolism already.

Bodybuilders generally want to maintain their physique as much as possible. During a bulk, they'll put on some fat, but as I understand it, the goal is to maximize muscle gain while minimizing simultaneous fat gain. Getting stronger is a tertiary goal. They also train differently and with higher rep ranges, so their definition of getting stronger differs from a powerlifter.

Either way, if the goal is to gain muscle, bulking is the fastest way to do it. If the goal is to gain muscle while keeping defined abs, regular cutting is also required. At the end of the day, bodybuilders and powerlifters are both essentially hobbyists, as much as they are athletes. We want to be better at our hobby, and this approach to weight gain is one way to do that. If the goal is just all around fitness, then just move often, eat reasonably well, and enjoy your life! :)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1305 on: July 26, 2016, 11:00:04 AM »

20 1/2 weeks out. Will be testing maxes and running a 16 week training block leading up to the meet. Any suggestions on a good 16 week program to prep for a PL meet?

I don't write my own programming, but I will say that it seems like you are doing quite a few reps at lower weights before you work up. Most methodologies I am familiar with operate on warming up and jumping straight to a x3, x5, or x8 rep scheme at a fixed weight with 3-5 sets. I would be interested to hear why you have chosen this alternative approach. To be clear, I don't intend any criticism, as I am certainly not qualified to critique programming.

One thing that has definitely paid huge dividends for me is speed training. I do heavy lower body days once/week (only deadlifting heavy once or twice/month) and speed lower body days once/week. Speedwork is usually something like 60%-80% of a 1RM with a 5x5, 3x8, or 8x3 rep scheme. The focus is on technique and explosiveness off the bottom for both squat and deadlift. I used to struggle off the floor when going heavy on DLs, but since I started speed training, I never miss a pull short of my knees.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 11:02:18 AM by Lagom »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1306 on: July 29, 2016, 06:41:23 AM »
Past two sessions have been killer!

Weighing a super consistent 216lbs the past few days.

Wednesday Squats
225 x 8
275 x 6
335 x 5
335 x 5
335 x 5

Today Deadlifts
315 x 5
365 x 5
405 x 10
405 x 8
405 x 5

Tomorrow is a bench press day

Going to be going for triples, thinking about shooting for 285-290ish.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1307 on: July 29, 2016, 06:47:45 AM »

I can't begin to imagine why the protein was that high? Was this on purpose?

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1308 on: July 29, 2016, 07:36:21 AM »

Yep. Works out great for me. Maybe you need to up your protein some?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 07:38:42 AM by use2betrix »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1309 on: July 29, 2016, 07:49:56 AM »

I do, I've been under for the amount of lifting I have been doing. That being said I try not to exceed 1g/lb of bodyweight, and even that according to most of the more recent science (past decade) dictates is more than enough for an unenhanced (no exogenous anabolics) athlete.

If I were to guess, I have been closer to .5g-.7g/lb of bodyweight over the past 12-18 months. I haven't tracked my macros since my last contest prep in 2014.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1310 on: July 29, 2016, 09:27:29 AM »

I do, I've been under for the amount of lifting I have been doing. That being said I try not to exceed 1g/lb of bodyweight, and even that according to most of the more recent science (past decade) dictates is more than enough for an unenhanced (no exogenous anabolics) athlete.

If I were to guess, I have been closer to .5g-.7g/lb of bodyweight over the past 12-18 months. I haven't tracked my macros since my last contest prep in 2014.

It's very trial and error. Everyone digest macros differently and you have to find what works best for you. I'm at a little over 1.5g/lb of bodyweight, which is a bit much. I did bring it down a tad (20-30g/day) but while bulking I'm fine with erring on the side of too much.

I often see the "per lb of bodyweight" term thrown around and that's a pretty broad generalization. A 5'6 200lb man at 8% BF is going to utilize FAR more protein than a 6'2, 200 lb man, at 20% BF. The 5'6 guy literally probably has 30-40% more muscle, at least.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1311 on: July 29, 2016, 09:35:29 AM »

It's very trial and error. Everyone digest macros differently and you have to find what works best for you. I'm at a little over 1.5g/lb of bodyweight, which is a bit much. I did bring it down a tad (20-30g/day) but while bulking I'm fine with erring on the side of too much.

I often see the "per lb of bodyweight" term thrown around and that's a pretty broad generalization. A 5'6 200lb man at 8% BF is going to utilize FAR more protein than a 6'2, 200 lb man, at 20% BF. The 5'6 guy literally probably has 30-40% more muscle, at least.

This is definitely correct, everyone is different but since protein is expensive (relative to carbs) I prefer to get a higher % of my calories from carbs/fats once protein requirements are meant.

Not sure if this matters to you, but having higher protein intake is more important in a caloric deficit (especially a prolonged one) vs a bulk.

A diet high in protein is proven to be more thermogenic than previously thought (despite caloric balance being identical), you are also more at risk of catabolism in a deficit. While bulking you are generally in a surplus of energy balance and the risk of not enough protein diminishes almost entirely. The only other thing I wanted to add regarding protein intake (not necessarily amounts but rather timing) is that there is some very solid evidence that MPS (muscle protein synthesis) is more pronounced when a subject consumes 2-4 protein feeds a day vs having protein constantly throughout the day. This goes against the whole eat 6-8 small meals a day mantra that has been spewed since the 80's.

If you want to do some more interesting reading I highly recommend Dr. Layne Norton, Alan Aragon, Lyle McDonald. The focus primarily on studying nutrition in unenhanced athletes.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1312 on: July 29, 2016, 11:57:39 AM »
My very delayed check in:

I have successfully been averaging over 5 miles of walking each day.

I've also started strength training, so my goal of either a pushup or pullup is progressing. Can't remember which one was my actual goal...

Hello Miss Darcy, I found this article very interesting, and informative. Geared towards optimizing weight loss, but also addresses what kinds of exercises to do during each phase. I've spent the last 45 days tracking my weight daily, and ya know, actually paying attention to wtf is going on. My (very limited) dataset has backed up with the article is saying re: hormonaly driven fat storage/loss.

Now, cue many people screwing up their faces and saying "Sailor Sam is a GIRL????"

Wait, WHAT? WHAAAAT? YOU'VE BEEN LYING TO US ALL THIS TIME?

(Ah, fake outrage memories are so sweet.)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1313 on: August 01, 2016, 08:24:18 AM »
The next chapter begins....

I posted on FB over the weekend asking my powerlifting friends for some training plan suggestions. One of my old acquaintances is a coach and reached out to me via PM asking if he could coach me.

He has been doing so for many years and has his masters in human performance, having coached a few national level raw powerlifters I figured why the heck not.

He had me test my maxes over the weekend and this morning

Bench
Barbell Bench Press
225 x 5
255 x 2
275 x 1
290 x 3
290 x 3 (estimated paused 1 RM ~300lbs)

Squats
225 x 8
275 x 5
315 x 5
345 x 3
365 x 1
385 x 1 (RPE 9.5)

Deadlift
315 x 5
365 x 3
405 x 2
445 x 1
475 x 1
495 x 1
510 x 1 (RPE 9.5)

The goal is to get my bodyweight down ~12-15lbs over the next 19 weeks while improving strength under meet conditions.

I have to relearn how to squat without a mirror.

I have to start doing paused bench work vs touch and go all the time.

Pretty excited to see the first training block he sends me as well as nutritional guidelines after we assess my base metabolic rate.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1314 on: August 01, 2016, 09:05:05 AM »
And umbilical hernia number 3 started rearing its ugly head over the last week. Looks like another surgery this winter will be in the works. Not going to let it slow me down in the mean time. Causes minimal discomfort and shouldn't get much worse. Just going to have to cut back on my 475x6 dead lift and 345x6 squats. I'll lower the weight and increase the reps and focus on better breathing. Also turning my belt around backwards helps as where the belt comes together in front doesn't keep pressure on that small spot where my hernia is.

Not a big deal, just annoying. Apparently my body is not made to lift heavy shit.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1315 on: August 01, 2016, 09:25:05 AM »
Sprint Triathlon complete!  Jordan- Will you mark this off my goals?

I completed in 1:41:42.6 (I'm really not fast). Basically it went like this:
  • Swim: Disaster. Turns out I freak out when I can't see in the water (probably should tried an open water swim pre-race, eh?). I spent a lot of time on my back trying to calm down and get my breathing under control. But hey, I didn't drown and finished the course, so I'm calling it a win.
  • Bike: Awesome! Not sure if I was just really relieved to be out of the water or what, but the bike was SO MUCH FUN. Had a stupid grin on my face the entire time. Averaged 16.6 mph... which isn't bad for me. Had fun passing people on road bikes with my little straight bar commuter bike.
  • Run: Just solid. I was certainly a little tired and my legs felt heavy, but it overall felt fine. Time: 33:26.2 for the 5K

Pretty sure with that, my career as a triathlete is over. At least as a competitor. I'd consider another one with a pool swim. Maybe.

This week I'll ease back into my workouts, but it's time to build running mileage again for my fall half marathon! I have really enjoyed the increased bike mileage of the last two months, so I plan to keep that up as well. I'm strongly considering breaking up with swimming though...

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1316 on: August 01, 2016, 03:40:24 PM »
I'm strongly considering breaking up with swimming though...

I divorced amicably from swimming a few years back. She's a crowd-pleaser, but we just didn't get along. I've been happy ever since in my little menage a trois with Hiking and Occasional Cycling.

(In other words, no need to feel bad if a particular cardio flavor just isn't enjoyable to you. Especially if you actively partake in a couple others already!)

So... crappy news on the injury front for me. I've not actually gotten Capital-I Injured!!, but I'm getting those familiar old niggles in my knee and spinal erectors that tell me I'm pushing too far/too fast and a Real Injury is imminent if I don't cool it. The thing is, I've already "cooled it" a shitload from my previous weight-room and hiking habits. Except I've obviously let myself get lulled by the temptation to Make Gains and done the one thing I wanted to avoid: overtaken the pace of my program. Back to square one - or, at least, to 60% of current working weights and then VERY DELIBERATELY SLOW PROGRESSION after.

Jordan, I'd like you to add a goal for me, if you'd be so kind: "No significant injuries in 2016". Because it turns out I'm just going to have to put that up there on the priority list until I understand that 'regularly increasing resistance' is not my goal this year.

jordanread

« Reply #1317 on: August 02, 2016, 07:33:56 AM »
Sprint Triathlon complete!  Jordan- Will you mark this off my goals?
Jordan, I'd like you to add a goal for me, if you'd be so kind: "No significant injuries in 2016". Because it turns out I'm just going to have to put that up there on the priority list until I understand that 'regularly increasing resistance' is not my goal this year.

I've got your goal marked as complete hudsoncat!! It looks like you only have 2 left, and they are maintenance. Working out twice a week, and maintaining fat loss from last year. Am I missing any, or are you feeling good about those goals?

SL, I've got that goal added. In the interests of that, especially since we are seeing a bit more people actually lifting some damn impressive weights, if you and anyone else here has resources regarding avoiding injuries while lifting, let me know. I might make a 'rules of thumb to avoid hurting myself' post for next year's challenge. Also, is there any specific injury you are keeping an eye on? What about you Use2BeTrix? How did that happen? Is it something that you've dealt with before?

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1318 on: August 02, 2016, 08:57:50 AM »

I divorced amicably from swimming a few years back. She's a crowd-pleaser, but we just didn't get along. I've been happy ever since in my little menage a trois with Hiking and Occasional Cycling.

(In other words, no need to feel bad if a particular cardio flavor just isn't enjoyable to you. Especially if you actively partake in a couple others already!)

I actually don't overall hate swimming, in the pool it's fine. Sometimes, dare I say it, it's even fun. The tri swim was just that bad of an experience for me. So I'm thinking, maybe we'll just take a little break until the weather cools again and swimming becomes a nice, warm, indoor cardio option... though husband has convinced me that I should probably go at least once to the pool this week. Told me he doesn't care if I never swim again after that, but doesn't think the tri should be my last experience with swimming... He is usually right about these things. Sigh.

I've got your goal marked as complete hudsoncat!! It looks like you only have 2 left, and they are maintenance. Working out twice a week, and maintaining fat loss from last year. Am I missing any, or are you feeling good about those goals?

Jordan- I'd like to add "sub-2:18 in half marathon." Times in my shorter races say this is possible, I'm not sure it'll happen this year, but it is my next goal to work towards. I have a half in November, I'm going to shoot for it there (small-ish race, fairly flat course- my favorite things). But if I don't hit it, it'll be my working goal for next year.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1319 on: August 02, 2016, 12:42:48 PM »
40 yoga classes complete! Final goal is 60, I have to have it done by 18-August. This is going to be fun :)

I've been teaching at least once a week, a couple times I got to teach two classes in a week. I'm loving teaching, but it definitely isn't the same thing as attending yoga. I spend most of my class on my feet though walking around and assisting students, or just pacing. I'll need to figure out my gym schedule to balance with my teaching schedule once I finish training this month.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1320 on: August 02, 2016, 06:40:53 PM »
In the interests of that, especially since we are seeing a bit more people actually lifting some damn impressive weights, if you and anyone else here has resources regarding avoiding injuries while lifting, let me know. I might make a 'rules of thumb to avoid hurting myself' post for next year's challenge.

I wish I had more expertise - that's why I had to consult professionals to help design a program! Plus, my injury problems are from earlier in life, and are exacerbated / triggered by lifting too ambitiously, as opposed to caused by lifting. For me, the biggest thing has been getting carried away with 'one more rep' and continually pushing past the tolerance point of my muscles, ligaments and tendons. And this doesn't have to mean a big pectoral tear. One thing I've realized more recently is that there can be a fine line between 'micro-damage that turns into gains' and 'slightly bigger damage that turns into an injury over time'.

Some people can get away with continually training to muscle failure. Particularly, to be frank, people who are using anabolics. But I can't (and don't!), and it took me a long time to realize that my only sustainable gains were going to be slow gains. I'm still not quite there!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2016, 06:42:42 PM by SoccerLounge »

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1321 on: August 02, 2016, 07:01:37 PM »
In the interests of that, especially since we are seeing a bit more people actually lifting some damn impressive weights, if you and anyone else here has resources regarding avoiding injuries while lifting, let me know. I might make a 'rules of thumb to avoid hurting myself' post for next year's challenge.

I wish I had more expertise - that's why I had to consult professionals to help design a program! Plus, my injury problems are from earlier in life, and are exacerbated / triggered by lifting too ambitiously, as opposed to caused by lifting. For me, the biggest thing has been getting carried away with 'one more rep' and continually pushing past the tolerance point of my muscles, ligaments and tendons. And this doesn't have to mean a big pectoral tear. One thing I've realized more recently is that there can be a fine line between 'micro-damage that turns into gains' and 'slightly bigger damage that turns into an injury over time'.

Some people can get away with continually training to muscle failure. Particularly people who are juicing. ;) But I can't (and don't!), and it took me a long time to realize that my only sustainable gains were going to be slow gains. I'm still not quite there!

For me it was the arguably unmustachian but undeniably effective approach of:

1. Find a highly qualified trainer with proven results.
2. Follow his programming religiously (telling him things like when something was hurting more than normal, or course).

Powerlifters trend towards crazy, with many well-known ones regularly doing stupid things like training through bicep/pectoral tears. Fortunately, I found a guy who is highly qualified (backed up with his own meet results), but actually concerned about training smart, rather than just training hard. I have made ridiculous strength gains in the past 15 months with no hint of injury (as a 33 year old with some minor past back issues), so I think I made the right choice.

A couple things I have noticed that are probably worth considering for DYIers worried about injury:

1. Form trumps all. I was not allowed to lift anything resembling heavy weight until I could do it right.
2. Max effort infrequently, especially on deadlifts, especially as you get stronger. I do max effort deadlifts (usually a variation like 1-3RM off a deficit/blocks, etc.) once every 3-4 weeks at the most. The rest of the days are lower weight speed work.  I go heavy on squats and bench once/week. Maxing too often will not only get you hurt, it will also slow your strength gains, so it's doubly stupid.
3. Use spotters. Self-explanatory, but so many people ignore this rule.
4. While it's important to learn to push through a certain level of discomfort, get to know your body and stop your workout immediately if you feel something twinge or give in a manner beyond normal wear and tear. This takes some experience, but I think it's fine to err on the side of caution as long as you're not being too much of a wuss. Sleep on it and reassess the next day.
5. That said, SoccerLounge is right. If it hurts a small to moderate amount, that's not always inherently bad. But if it starts getting worse, you may have a problem and it's best to rest or do alternative exercises for a while.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1322 on: August 03, 2016, 06:13:59 AM »
As someone who doesn't consider herself a weightlifter but does use weights as part of my workout, I have access to a personal trainer through work and it was incredibly valuable for me to do a session with him to assess all my strengths and weaknesses, and also doing a quick follow up later to make sure my form was right and that I wasn't hurting myself. Usually I'm happy off doing my routine on my own, but being able to get ten minutes of the trainer's time when I'm starting a brand new routine is good because I can show him how I'm doing a couple of exercises that either I feel like I'm not doing them properly or I can't do it and I'm not sure why. At one point I was trying to do either a push up or a plank (I forget now) and trying to get into position he was immediately able to see that my shoulder had a weakness and something wasn't engaging the way it should. He was able to show me an additional exercise to strengthen up that one shoulder and in a few weeks I was able to do the push up/plank properly. If I hadn't gotten his feed back I would have been trying (and failing) at that exercise for who knows how long and possibly damaging my other shoulder as it tried to compensate.

tl;dr - trainers are expensive but a little bit can go a long way, even if you don't think of yourself as a weightlifter.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1323 on: August 03, 2016, 06:41:17 AM »

Some people can get away with continually training to muscle failure. Particularly people who are juicing. ;) But I can't (and don't!), and it took me a long time to realize that my only sustainable gains were going to be slow gains. I'm still not quite there!

For me it was the arguably unmustachian but undeniably effective approach of:

1. Find a highly qualified trainer with proven results.
2. Follow his programming religiously (telling him things like when something was hurting more than normal, or course).

Powerlifters trend towards crazy, with many well-known ones regularly doing stupid things like training through bicep/pectoral tears. Fortunately, I found a guy who is highly qualified (backed up with his own meet results), but actually concerned about training smart, rather than just training hard. I have made ridiculous strength gains in the past 15 months with no hint of injury (as a 33 year old with some minor past back issues), so I think I made the right choice.

A couple things I have noticed that are probably worth considering for DYIers worried about injury:

1. Form trumps all. I was not allowed to lift anything resembling heavy weight until I could do it right.
2. Max effort infrequently, especially on deadlifts, especially as you get stronger. I do max effort deadlifts (usually a variation like 1-3RM off a deficit/blocks, etc.) once every 3-4 weeks at the most. The rest of the days are lower weight speed work.  I go heavy on squats and bench once/week. Maxing too often will not only get you hurt, it will also slow your strength gains, so it's doubly stupid.
3. Use spotters. Self-explanatory, but so many people ignore this rule.
4. While it's important to learn to push through a certain level of discomfort, get to know your body and stop your workout immediately if you feel something twinge or give in a manner beyond normal wear and tear. This takes some experience, but I think it's fine to err on the side of caution as long as you're not being too much of a wuss. Sleep on it and reassess the next day.
5. That said, SoccerLounge is right. If it hurts a small to moderate amount, that's not always inherently bad. But if it starts getting worse, you may have a problem and it's best to rest or do alternative exercises for a while.

Jordan I also recommend Becoming a Supple Leopard book, it's my go to for prehab/stretching/foam rolling/self massage therapy stuff. His videos on youtube are also good.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1324 on: August 03, 2016, 09:43:02 AM »
All lifters could add some yoga into their lives to prevent injury too! ;)

I had a medical doctor teach anatomy as a portion of my yoga teacher training and he said, "yoga is awesome because you strengthen your muscles at the end range of motion. This is the point most injuries occur in people, so yoga is preventative medicine!"

And if you really don't want to do yoga take a look at ROMWOD.

jordanread

« Reply #1325 on: August 03, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
Jordan I also recommend Becoming a Supple Leopard book, it's my go to for prehab/stretching/foam rolling/self massage therapy stuff. His videos on youtube are also good.

That book is on the resource post. I started reading it a couple times, but haven't made my way through it all the way yet. It's on the Kindle, but time...:)

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1326 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »
The half marathon is on this Sunday and I'm in the taper period. Mostly just mind games now and trying to convince myself I've done the hard work over the last 3-4 months and it is all going to go well.

To help in that convincing...since 1st May 2016 my running watch tells me:

Count:   54 Activities
 Distance:   420.95 km
 Time:   42:05:55 h:m:s
 Avg Speed:   10 km/h

Averaged 4 runs a week; 2 easy, 1 interval and 1 long. Longest run was 19.5km. Physically I'm feeling ok, doing a bit of yoga and stretching in this final week of the plan.

Fingers crossed for Sunday.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #1327 on: August 04, 2016, 10:22:52 PM »

That book is on the resource post. I started reading it a couple times, but haven't made my way through it all the way yet. It's on the Kindle, but time...:)

Warming up certainly is important (in the past anything dumb I've done was either a result of not warming up or poor form so I focus on both of those items more than anything else now).

Some other warm-up items I've used (typically a combination of these 2):

Qigong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzD4svzG9js&index=1&list=PLpZC1Ppt02iGVJyQIJX05cz7nob5BFb0o

Nerd Fitness:
https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

Then increase weights slowly to actual working weights as noted earlier...here's a cool website that helps calculate warm up reps for some common weight training programs:
http://warmupreps.com/

I now do similar things (albeit simplified/less exact) with bodyweight exercises as well such as:
-2 sets of pushups on floor
-2 sets of elevated push ups
-3 sets of elevated ~70/30 push up (most effort done with 1 arm)

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1328 on: August 05, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
I had to go back to page 1 to remember what I put down so here's my update.

Workout 4x per week - doing this although sometimes its nothing more than pushups and planks

Run 500 miles - Way behind.  I have 15 miles so far so only 23 miles per week to reach my goal.

Maintain Weight, Lower BF - Haven't calculated BF but down 2lbs while chest, arms, and shoulders are bigger and stomach is smaller.  So I think I'm doing ok there.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1329 on: August 05, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »
The half marathon is on this Sunday and I'm in the taper period. Mostly just mind games now and trying to convince myself I've done the hard work over the last 3-4 months and it is all going to go well.

Averaged 4 runs a week; 2 easy, 1 interval and 1 long. Longest run was 19.5km. Physically I'm feeling ok, doing a bit of yoga and stretching in this final week of the plan.

Good luck PDM! Looks like pretty solid training. I've certainly run a half on less, once a lot less (wouldn't recommend it). :)

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1330 on: August 06, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »

Good luck PDM! Looks like pretty solid training. I've certainly run a half on less, once a lot less (wouldn't recommend it). :)

Finished in 1:41:30. Stoked with that. Felt fast and went with it.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1331 on: August 09, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
Powerlifting Training Update

Holy shit, talk about intensity.

I finished the 3rd workout in my current training block. So many new things to learn and adapt to.

This might be the death of me -_-

jordanread

« Reply #1332 on: August 09, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »

Finished in 1:41:30. Stoked with that. Felt fast and went with it.

I've got two goals marked as complete. Way to go! Did you do a 5K yet?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1333 on: August 10, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
Sometimes it's sad to realize how environmental we are. Currently, we have a room that's basically empty except my yoga mat. For now it's the yoga room, although eventual plan is nursery. Keeping my yoga mat rolled out full time and a little encouragement from my husband? I've been doing yoga every day since moving. I'm even optimistic I'll do this on work days, since it can be pretty slow and gentle, and I just cut my commute by 45min each way.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1334 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
Sometimes it's sad to realize how environmental we are. Currently, we have a room that's basically empty except my yoga mat. For now it's the yoga room, although eventual plan is nursery. Keeping my yoga mat rolled out full time and a little encouragement from my husband? I've been doing yoga every day since moving. I'm even optimistic I'll do this on work days, since it can be pretty slow and gentle, and I just cut my commute by 45min each way.

I love it! I totally have a mat rolled out in one room and I definitely visit it more when it's already set up.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1335 on: August 10, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
To clarify on my goals post, FitRanx level 1 test contains the following:
* 45 degree suspension row x20, one minute rest
* Lying tricep extension from knees x15, one minute rest
* Overhead towel squat x 50 within 2 minutes, one minute rest
* Knee push ups x20, one minute rest
* Static bridge for two minutes, one minute rest
* Plank on toes for 90 seconds, one minute rest
* Kettlebell swing x60 within 2 minutes, 10kg weight, one minute rest
* Three sets of: 30 second mountain climbers/30 second jump rope/seal jacks/one minute rest

I went through it today for the first time since I tested this spring. The only part that's really killing me is the plank but I was able to maintain it for 25 seconds today - unlike the first time I did the test and I couldn't even hold it for a full second. I've still got a ways to go till I can do the full 90 seconds but it's nice seeing the progress. I'm going to try to up my work outs from 2 to 3 days a week and do the FitRanX routine above once a week since it's a good thorough workout. We'll see how that works out since kiddo has a weekly appointment coming up beginning end of this month. Oh, in other goal progress news, I'm down four pounds and finally cracking down on diet (nothing crazy, but cutting out juice in favor of water and avoiding the ice cream in the freezer because I'm tired of carrying around this extra "baby" weight).

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1336 on: August 10, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »
After a long hiatus from posting, I'm back!

Good news: continued progress! Looking back one year when I started strength training, I can now lift approximately 15-20% more in bench, deadlift, and squat during my 3x5 sets. Approximately 20-25% increases in 1RM strength for bench, deadlift, and squat. And I'm the same weight! And still just as fast! I think I might have lost some body fat, and I certainly look a little more dense I think, but otherwise it's nice to have gained strength without sacrificing functionality.

Recommended reading for all: Tactical Barbell. Really helped me plan and execute.

jordanread

« Reply #1337 on: August 10, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
After a long hiatus from posting, I'm back!

Good news: continued progress! Looking back one year when I started strength training, I can now lift approximately 15-20% more in bench, deadlift, and squat during my 3x5 sets. Approximately 20-25% increases in 1RM strength for bench, deadlift, and squat. And I'm the same weight! And still just as fast! I think I might have lost some body fat, and I certainly look a little more dense I think, but otherwise it's nice to have gained strength without sacrificing functionality.

Recommended reading for all: Tactical Barbell. Really helped me plan and execute.
I'll add that to the resource post.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1338 on: August 11, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Just planned the route and put up the event posting for the free half-marathon I'm hosting (essentially a group run on bike/walking paths that ends at brunch and happens to be 13.1 miles). I needed an event to train for and I didn't want to spend $85, so I'm just making one!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1339 on: August 11, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
Just planned the route and put up the event posting for the free half-marathon I'm hosting (essentially a group run on bike/walking paths that ends at brunch and happens to be 13.1 miles). I needed an event to train for and I didn't want to spend $85, so I'm just making one!

Awesome! I thought about doing something similar but was too lazy. Good on you for doing it, when's the date?

And you can put some of  that $85 towards Brunch!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1340 on: August 11, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »

Awesome! I thought about doing something similar but was too lazy. Good on you for doing it, when's the date?

October 29th! It's a costume run. I planned the route to run past a drop off box for ballots (our state has mail-in ballots) so that people can vote while they run, too ;)

That was my thought on the brunch idea - might as well splurge on food instead of administrative fees or for a shirt I'll never wear again.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1341 on: August 11, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
I worked out today. Unusually for me, I really (really) fucking didn't want to, but I still did it. That is all.

jordanread

« Reply #1342 on: August 11, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
I worked out today. Unusually for me, I really (really) fucking didn't want to, but I still did it. That is all.

Kickass!!

October 29th! It's a costume run. I planned the route to run past a drop off box for ballots (our state has mail-in ballots) so that people can vote while they run, too ;)

That was my thought on the brunch idea - might as well splurge on food instead of administrative fees or for a shirt I'll never wear again.

You do costumes for everything. I love it!!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1343 on: August 11, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »

That sounds like tons of fun!! I've run a few races as Elvis, always a good time :)

Of course you would incorporate voting; voting, brunch, costumes, it's as if the race was made just for you (;

jordanread

« Reply #1344 on: August 11, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »

That sounds like tons of fun!! I've run a few races as Elvis, always a good time :)

Of course you would incorporate voting; voting, brunch, costumes, it's as if the race was made just for you (;

All those races are for us. At least those of us in the country.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1345 on: August 13, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »
It's been a while since I posted, but I've achieved one of my goals.  I'm up to 195lbs from 170 when I started, and have been getting a number of compliments from people I run into who haven't seen me in a while.  Next goal is 210!  I realize only now that with my 6'1" frame, 195 isn't as big as I'm aiming for.

My deadlifts are going great, and I'm really enjoying the 10x3 (sets/reps) high volume workouts.  I've started doing bodyweight dips again too, as the tension in my sternum is slowly going away.  This time I won't be so quick to add weight, probably 5lbs every 2 weeks. 

My chin ups are pretty stagnant at 6-7 reps with solid form at bodyweight, but I figure as I'm increasing weight it's naturally going to be difficult adding weight to them.

Hope everyone's summer is going well and you all are making solid progress!

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1346 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
I survived a sprint triathlon today!   Since I've lost weight, I can apparently run again! Yay! :D

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1347 on: August 13, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
My posterior chain is miserably sore. All because of a Tabata class instructed by the devil. A tight little devil, in tight little shorts. Take some lust hormones, mix in a pathetic desire to avoid looking weak, and you end up with some wicked lactic acid.

I can't even really sit. I just aim towards the chair, make a little whimper, and wish the folding didn't hurt so bad.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1348 on: August 15, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »

This sounds super fun!

I survived a sprint triathlon today!   Since I've lost weight, I can apparently run again! Yay! :D

Great job!

I know there aren't a ton of cardio people on here, but I came across a resource I wanted to share. I've been having some right calf pain and knee pain off and on for a while now. Nothing terrible, but something that always feels like it could be terrible if I push a little too hard. A couple months ago I ran into a college buddy who happens to be a PT now, we were comparing running stories and I ended up mentioning my calf/knee issue. After a few questions and having me do some random things, he suggested (well, first that I see my Dr or a PT to get a real diagnosis) that I look into the Myrtl routine. It strengthens your "hip girdle" area which helps with a host of leg issues that might have their root cause in your hips. I've been doing it after every run for a while now for a couple of months. Overall my legs have felt better than they have in a while. Here is the .Pdf: http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

There is also a YouTube video if you google it. Might be a help for other cardio folks looking for more strength and range of motion in your hips. It doesn't take long and seems to be helping me. A lot of little twinges and minor pains have gone away the longer I've been doing it. No calf or knee pain in the last month.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1349 on: August 15, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
Cycled my longest training ride of the year on Sunday!

20 miles @ 16.8 mph

Powerlifting training has been going really well. It's very taxing and I am trying to get used to hitting so many different compound movements on the same day.