Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402810 times)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1150 on: June 27, 2016, 04:47:17 PM »

I don't have any good ideas. My motivation for running is ridicule and job loss if I don't make time. And the last time I was tested, I beat the time cut off by 2 seconds. Which was absolutely fine with me!

Maybe I could come yell at you?

My PT test was 2 days ago.  13:25 (10 seconds from the limit)
Worst I've ever done!  But a pass, that's all that matters.

Since this year's race is behind me, I have done exactly zero running over the past month (or two), just goes to show how little motivated I am without it! :-P
And soon I won't have the bi-annual PT test to force me to keep up at least a minimum level of fitness, because my contract is up in 2 months!

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1151 on: June 27, 2016, 04:55:09 PM »

I don't have any good ideas. My motivation for running is ridicule and job loss if I don't make time. And the last time I was tested, I beat the time cut off by 2 seconds. Which was absolutely fine with me!

Since this year's race is behind me, I have done exactly zero running over the past month (or two), just goes to show how little motivated I am without it! :-P
And soon I won't have the bi-annual PT test to force me to keep up at least a minimum level of fitness, because my contract is up in 2 months!

All this talk of running is making me think maybe I should try again.. But I'm also one of those people who has a hard time internally motivating for running.

Monstermonster, I just checked and this group: http://november-project.com/ isn't in portland yet (I think you're thereish-I've been reading your journal.), but here's to hoping! I don't do it anymore because it's too much to do that plus lifting, but if people want external motivation and community support, check it out. They're big on the FREE. I've spent maybe $5-10 and that was because I purchased clothing for a free costume/theme run.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1152 on: June 27, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »

All this talk of running is making me think maybe I should try again.. But I'm also one of those people who has a hard time internally motivating for running.

Monstermonster, I just checked and this group: http://november-project.com/ isn't in portland yet (I think you're thereish-I've been reading your journal.), but here's to hoping! I don't do it anymore because it's too much to do that plus lifting, but if people want external motivation and community support, check it out. They're big on the FREE. I've spent maybe $5-10 and that was because I purchased clothing for a free costume/theme run.

At least I am finding out I'm not alone in not being motivated to run without an external deadline!

I <3 the November project. I always join it when I'm in DC for work. There's one on capitol hill there that's full of staffers that's really fun. Alas, I looked into what it would take to organize one here and I am not in good enough shape/have enough free time for it.

From their website about starting a chapter:

1. Time Commitment
Understand that being the leader of your November Project branch may begin with the simple 60-minute workout you first host but will be guaranteed to grow into many hours of dedication each week. This is a part time job that some weeks can fill enough hours to be seen as a second, completely unpaid, full time job.
...and

5. Leader Description

Being one of the fittest members of the tribe is a must. Leaders must lead by example. This means being in front of the pack at all times. “The quality of the team is based on the speed of the leader.” Who do we consider fit? A person that can do one or all of the following: Sub 3:25 Marathon or sub 1:30 Half-marathon; 3 minutes plank finishing with 10 pushups; 90+ burpees in 7 minutes. Don’t know what burpees are, this is not for you!
Holy shit I will NEVER be that fit. And I am okay with that. I am perfectly happy with my 1h50m half-marathon time and my ability to do 20 burpees before my wrists hate me. Also, those metrics seems to be a bit biased to Y chromosome havers...

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1153 on: June 27, 2016, 06:00:04 PM »
Yeah, the leaders are definitely super intense. Glad you've heard of it! I was in Boston when their Friday workout fit in a circle on a large sidewalk and the growth has been AMAZING. I went to the DC one earlier this year and it was great!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1154 on: June 28, 2016, 06:52:37 AM »
Made my triumphant (ha!) return to the racquetball court last night... and promptly lost two games by a combined total 23 points. At least I (somehow) won game three?

I find the motivation discussion interesting, because I seldom lack motivation to run. However, I cannot seem to get myself at all motivated for strength work. Whether it's lifting weights, body weight work, whatever... if you all can figure out your motivation for running, please share, maybe it'll work for my strength training. I have been fairly consistent throwing in some push-ups, core work, squats, and lunges after a run once or twice a week. Hopefully I can keep that going and build on it.

DH is a big fan of the signing up for a race thing for motivation. We run a lot of races though, it's our one, big, not a necessity, spendy line item in our budget. We have the long term goal of running a half in each state. We try to do it cost effectively (DH travels a lot for work, so between his rewards, other travels hacks, and not trying to do all the races in one year, we do okay), but I can't deny that it's not our most mustatachian hobby.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1155 on: June 28, 2016, 07:21:21 AM »
*Peeks in*
>___>
<___<
Hi ya'll. Been awhile.

So my goal (set up a long while back and then ran away from) was to do 5 "real" pushups. (Set that bar low low low low... Just a little lower... yes. Just right.)

I'm not there yet.
But I'm once again working towards it!

I can do 3 sets of the "beginner body weight workout" from Nerd Fitness with some sweat but without any undue difficulty. I am doing the "10 pushups" part of each set as pushups from the knees. But I'm getting there slowly but surely! Hopefully. XD

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1156 on: June 30, 2016, 08:47:41 AM »
Since the year is halfway through, I thought I'd revisit my goals:

• Maintain 50lb fat loss from 2015- Still maintaining below the 50 pound mark overall I've gained around 3-4 pounds back from my absolute lowest, but have actually lost an inch at my waist and half an inch each in my hips and chest measurement since January 1 (when I was at my lowest weight)
  • Complete 5K <= 30:00 (<= 09:39/mile) Done!
  • Complete Half Marathon <= 2:20:00 Done! 2:19.54 at the Oak Barrel Half in April (Jordan can you mark this off the tracking post? I forgot to ask earlier!)
  • Complete Triathlon (sprint) Registered for Tri Indy on July 31
  • Strength training 2X/week Fail. I've been doing some strength training, but it's sporadic at best
  • Set Personal Record for 5K (<= 29:34) Done! New PR: 28:54!

So for the rest of the year I'd like to keep the goals I'm still working on (maintenance, Sprint Tri, Strength training) for sure and set one more: Sub 2:19 Half marathon. I did a great job maintaining a pace that would have put me sub 2:18 in the April Half with the exception of three miles that all included major hills. I think with more hill work or a flatter course, I have a shot. I have one more half this year, which will be much flatter. I will try for it there. If I miss it, well, then that's my first goal for next year.

I knew I would probably be able to set some new PR's this year just based on the weight loss from last year. Since I started losing weight (and running more), I have cut several minutes off my 5K and over 40 minutes off my Half PR. However, I think the days of cutting minutes off PRs at a time is probably gone for most distances, but it was certainly fun while it lasted.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1157 on: June 30, 2016, 10:17:06 AM »
Nice, hudsoncat. Maintaining a weight loss for a year puts you into a very elite percentage of the population. It's pretty neat that you can now compare weight against inches, and get a fuller picture of your personal morphology. I'm hoping to get to where you are!

Speaking of, I'm plonking away at the gym. I've been going 3x/week, and settled into a pretty nice schedule. I'm still liking the Convict Conditioning program. I'm now at 2x15 +1x5 on all Beginners movements. Goal is to work up to Intermediate at 2x25 for all movements, then Progression at 3x50.

I'm making my peace with the fact that it's going to take me quite a while to work up to the Progression state. Prior to my New Stance on Exercise, the slow pace would have annoyed me and I would have skipped steps. Now I'm content to take the progression as it comes. I do feel a little foolish going to the gym to do wall pushups and vertical pulls, but fuckit. The journey to being cut starts with a single wall pushup. If I keep going, I'll look back in a year and be amazed. Plus, anyone who's actually judging me can go screw.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1158 on: June 30, 2016, 10:21:12 AM »
Since the year is halfway through, I thought I'd revisit my goals

Hudsoncat, you are KICKING ASS and TAKING NAMES. I'm proud of you through the internet :-)

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1159 on: June 30, 2016, 10:24:23 AM »
*Peeks in*
>___>
<___<
Hi ya'll. Been awhile.

So my goal (set up a long while back and then ran away from) was to do 5 "real" pushups. (Set that bar low low low low... Just a little lower... yes. Just right.)

I'm not there yet.

I can do 3 sets of the "beginner body weight workout" from Nerd Fitness with some sweat but without any undue difficulty. I am doing the "10 pushups" part of each set as pushups from the knees. But I'm getting there slowly but surely! Hopefully. XD

It sounds like both Orvell and I have noodles for arms. Camaraderie!

We stuck a chin-up bar on one of the doors, and now I'm trying to do 1 (very) assisted chin-up every time I see it. Hoping this spurs some muscle growth in my noodles :)

I'm trying to use DDR to supplement my on-and-off bodyweight training. It's taken me 2 months but I'm on week 5/10 for the "beginner" level of YAYOG, and I WILL finish.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1160 on: June 30, 2016, 10:31:41 AM »
*Peeks in*
>___>
<___<
Hi ya'll. Been awhile.

I'm not there yet.

It sounds like both Orvell and I have noodles for arms. Camaraderie!

We stuck a chin-up bar on one of the doors, and now I'm trying to do 1 (very) assisted chin-up every time I see it. Hoping this spurs some muscle growth in my noodles :)

I'm trying to use DDR to supplement my on-and-off bodyweight training. It's taken me 2 months but I'm on week 5/10 for the "beginner" level of YAYOG, and I WILL finish.
NOODLE ARM BUDDIES!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1161 on: June 30, 2016, 10:37:41 AM »
I think I found a solution to my "need an event to train for but don't want to spend $80 on one".

An organization I dearly love and volunteer for, the Harry Potter Alliance -yes that's the real name- (they train youth, mostly girls and queer youth, all over the world to be social activists using the story of harry potter and other fandoms) is doing a virtual race. It's a $35 donation and you get a real medal (harry potter themed) at the end of the race. All you have to do is run 50 miles between now at August 31st, tracking those miles using any one of a variety of different apps, and then you get a medal. It's called "Escape from Privet Drive".

So for $35 to an org I love, I can get motivation to run at least 6 miles/week and a cool medal at the end so I get a "carrot".

So yes, I could pay $0 and not get a medal I don't need and still run every week, but I probably won't. So this will get me on the hook, and help out an org I love.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1162 on: June 30, 2016, 10:57:28 AM »
I think I found a solution to my "need an event to train for but don't want to spend $80 on one".

An organization I dearly love and volunteer for, the Harry Potter Alliance -yes that's the real name- (they train youth, mostly girls and queer youth, all over the world to be social activists using the story of harry potter and other fandoms) is doing a virtual race. It's a $35 donation and you get a real medal (harry potter themed) at the end of the race. All you have to do is run 50 miles between now at August 31st, tracking those miles using any one of a variety of different apps, and then you get a medal. It's called "Escape from Privet Drive".

So for $35 to an org I love, I can get motivation to run at least 6 miles/week and a cool medal at the end so I get a "carrot".

So yes, I could pay $0 and not get a medal I don't need and still run every week, but I probably won't. So this will get me on the hook, and help out an org I love.

I LOVE this!!!!! Killer plan!

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1163 on: June 30, 2016, 11:34:01 AM »

I LOVE this!!!!! Killer plan!

I've done this, although I do it as walks. The medals are fine but I never got a medal in an actual facts race and I just can't justify spending the $25 every month (it feels like). I still watch their online conversations though. :)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1164 on: June 30, 2016, 11:40:40 AM »
I've done this, although I do it as walks. The medals are fine but I never got a medal in an actual facts race and I just can't justify spending the $25 every month (it feels like). I still watch their online conversations though. :)

What is an actual facts race?

jordanread

« Reply #1165 on: June 30, 2016, 11:41:55 AM »
Since the year is halfway through, I thought I'd revisit my goals:
[...]

So for the rest of the year I'd like to keep the goals I'm still working on (maintenance, Sprint Tri, Strength training) for sure and set one more: Sub 2:19 Half marathon. I did a great job maintaining a pace that would have put me sub 2:18 in the April Half with the exception of three miles that all included major hills. I think with more hill work or a flatter course, I have a shot. I have one more half this year, which will be much flatter. I will try for it there. If I miss it, well, then that's my first goal for next year.

I knew I would probably be able to set some new PR's this year just based on the weight loss from last year. Since I started losing weight (and running more), I have cut several minutes off my 5K and over 40 minutes off my Half PR. However, I think the days of cutting minutes off PRs at a time is probably gone for most distances, but it was certainly fun while it lasted.

I've got your goal marked as complete. Great job! I do love that first chunk of progress. Cutting minutes off of time, adding miles to distance, etc. It's fun to experience (and see) that progress.

Psychologically, I've found that during that time of huge leaps, my brain goes the route of "Oh my god, I can't believe I survived/did this/accomplished so much". And then I kind of look back, appreciating the progress, and looking forward with the knowledge that I most definitely can succeed, albeit with smaller amounts. Something along the lines of "Let's find out how long it's going to take me to figure out what's involved in [new event/an extra minute off of a time/and extra half mile/whatever]". Reframing thoughts in a manner in which success is merely a matter of time, not a matter of if. At least that's how it is for me. The human body is amazing...and I'm really liking mine right now.

I love the pull up bar idea. Unfortunately for me, mine is on my home office door, and MXT doesn't go in there often enough. I am having fun doing things at random places though. Some horizontal pulls while waiting for the bus, and the like. I really want to get good enough to start doing some random Battle of the Bars things (explosive and relatively graceful swinging about). By DDR, do you mean Dance Dance Revolution? That is a fun cardio thing. The first time I played, I actually fell over...multiple times.

Nice, hudsoncat. Maintaining a weight loss for a year puts you into a very elite percentage of the population. It's pretty neat that you can now compare weight against inches, and get a fuller picture of your personal morphology. I'm hoping to get to where you are!

Speaking of, I'm plonking away at the gym. I've been going 3x/week, and settled into a pretty nice schedule. I'm still liking the Convict Conditioning program. I'm now at 2x15 +1x5 on all Beginners movements. Goal is to work up to Intermediate at 2x25 for all movements, then Progression at 3x50.

I'm making my peace with the fact that it's going to take me quite a while to work up to the Progression state. Prior to my New Stance on Exercise, the slow pace would have annoyed me and I would have skipped steps. Now I'm content to take the progression as it comes. I do feel a little foolish going to the gym to do wall pushups and vertical pulls, but fuckit. The journey to being cut starts with a single wall pushup. If I keep going, I'll look back in a year and be amazed. Plus, anyone who's actually judging me can go screw.

Have you read the book, or are you just doing the exercises? One of the things I liked was when he was writing about the slow progressions. Yeah, they seem easy or wimpy or something like that. Yes, going slow on the reps doesn't look that impressive, but it's all about foundational strength. It's not muscles so much right now as it is giving your joints and connective tissue a chance to adjust to the ridiculously awesome craziness we're going to do later!!

You are kicking ass!

I love this. Start with a goal. Figure out what works, what doesn't, and what one needs. Identify the problem, and then try solutions until you find one that works.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1166 on: June 30, 2016, 12:01:04 PM »

I love the pull up bar idea. Unfortunately for me, mine is on my home office door, and MXT doesn't go in there often enough. I am having fun doing things at random places though. Some horizontal pulls while waiting for the bus, and the like. I really want to get good enough to start doing some random Battle of the Bars things (explosive and relatively graceful swinging about). By DDR, do you mean Dance Dance Revolution? That is a fun cardio thing. The first time I played, I actually fell over...multiple times.

Battle of the Bars sounds awesome! In my head I pictured you started to do pull-ups at a bus stop, and then another person joins you, and you battle it out with how many pull-ups you can do, bwahaha!

And yes, I did mean Dance Dance Revolution! It feels like a steam room outside from May - Oct here, so it's really unpleasant to walk (let along run) most days outside. We were selling a bunch of old games and saw we still had DDR games + pads!

It's not you - I'm pretty sure the main goal of playing DDR is DON'T TRIP! But it is a nice way of squeezing in an easy 15-min of cardio some nights :)

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1167 on: June 30, 2016, 03:17:38 PM »

That would be my dumb elitist brain meaning I signed up and raced with a whole bunch of other people also running the same closed road. Never got a medal, but I did get some shirts.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1168 on: June 30, 2016, 04:18:38 PM »

That would be my dumb elitist brain meaning I signed up and raced with a whole bunch of other people also running the same closed road. Never got a medal, but I did get some shirts.
Ah, I always get a medal for half-marathons.* Maybe I just choose the ones with medals accidentally. Which is slightly annoying because I don't really enjoy having medal except for right after I finish.

Although some double as beer openers.

*Remembering that I don't think I got a medal at the Berlin halbmarathon, but it was also WAY cheaper (I mean, aside from the trip to germany lol) than the $80 ones in PDX.

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1169 on: June 30, 2016, 07:16:54 PM »

Ah, I always get a medal for half-marathons.* Maybe I just choose the ones with medals accidentally. Which is slightly annoying because I don't really enjoy having medal except for right after I finish.

Although some double as beer openers.

*Remembering that I don't think I got a medal at the Berlin halbmarathon, but it was also WAY cheaper (I mean, aside from the trip to germany lol) than the $80 ones in PDX.

Yeah-maybe my internal saver picked the cheap-o races? I don't think so. Maybe medals aren't the thing at the type of half-marathon I did? Or I just missed distribution because I was more focused on other things (like either warming up at the second one in december) or biking 40 miles home from the first. (I'm not that badass at cardio anymore.)

I now have two medals from Hogwarts Running Club and I have no idea what to do with them...

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1170 on: June 30, 2016, 09:28:13 PM »
Just ran 8.5km in 44:30 before I felt a twinge in a hamstring. With my local 11k fun run scheduled for 3 weeks time I thought it best to stop before a niggle becomes an injury.

Still stoked with that time and I wasn't even out of breath when I pulled the pin.

That is a good pace - 5min 13 second kms. You'll smash an 11km fun run. Always good to listen to your body with niggles. Foam roll that hamstring good!

jordanread

« Reply #1171 on: July 01, 2016, 06:56:50 AM »
That is a good pace - 5min 13 second kms. You'll smash an 11km fun run. Always good to listen to your body with niggles. Foam roll that hamstring good!

PDM, I realized that you were relatively new around here, and I didn't get any goals down for you. Do you want to jump in with some 'rest of the year' goals?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #1172 on: July 01, 2016, 07:26:51 AM »
One of my fitness goals for 2016 is now in the books. Half marathon completed in 1:48, smashing my goal of a sub-2 hour time - so, just over a 5 minute per km pace, something I never pulled off in training. I think the extra motivation of being a part of an organized "event" gave me an extra boost.

An interesting note: I've had to change my running gait to mitigate my Achilles issue, which has also resulted in my past IT band issues completely disappearing. Another win...

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1173 on: July 01, 2016, 09:32:37 AM »
One of my fitness goals for 2016 is now in the books. Half marathon completed in 1:48, smashing my goal of a sub-2 hour time - so, just over a 5 minute per km pace, something I never pulled off in training. I think the extra motivation of being a part of an organized "event" gave me an extra boost.

An interesting note: I've had to change my running gait to mitigate my Achilles issue, which has also resulted in my past IT band issues completely disappearing. Another win...

Awesome! Nice work! In what way did you change your stride? I am currently not running at all (been into powerlifting the last 18 months), but sooner or later I'll get back to it. I've also had some Achilles issues in the past so I'm curious to hear what's worked for you.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #1174 on: July 01, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »

I got that in my email and thought of you immediately! I'm delighted to find that you are already a supporter of the HP Alliance. (Are you doing the Remembrall Readathon, too? That's how I found out about it.)

I am also tempted to sign up for the virtual race, though I would be walking/skating the 50 miles. I was annoyed by the prospect of the medal being more clutter, but then I thought I could hang it up in my cubicle...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #1175 on: July 02, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »

Awesome! Nice work! In what way did you change your stride? I am currently not running at all (been into powerlifting the last 18 months), but sooner or later I'll get back to it. I've also had some Achilles issues in the past so I'm curious to hear what's worked for you.

It's really as simple as eliminating any pronounced explosive move off of my toes - even more so going up hills, something which has been a true Jon_Snow Achilles-buster in the past - which charaterized my previous lengthy, and more aesthetically pleasing stride. Now I have a shorter (and decidedly less graceful) stride in which I try to concentrate my "push off " with quads....and the ol' glutes. :)

Having been off the forums for most of June I should also mention that I did around a dozen hikes, and paddled another 115km in June...sometimes I would combine these two activities in the same day...by kayaking over to different part of my island or to another island entirely and finding some trails.

500km paddling challenge now at 211.3 km.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 12:58:27 PM by Jon_Snow »

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1176 on: July 03, 2016, 01:17:39 PM »
Aw yeah, S&F! I am up in this thread! RRAAARGH!! Watch me now, as I beast weights like:

... Just kidding, more like

:D

Seriously, I'm coming back to strength training after quite a long break. One of the biggest issues I was having was continually aggravating injuries by trying to go too hard, stopping, then repeating the cycle. I finally wised up and, helped by some great medical advice, realized that was getting me nowhere. Now, I am essentially on an extended-rehab-slowly-transitioning-into-building-strength-again. I'm using some pretty modest weights right now and only raising the weight very slowly despite that I'm back in 'noob gainz' territory (so the temptation to pile on more weight is pretty huge, but I resist it!) Right now I do whole-body strength workouts twice a week, concentrating on the big compound movements with just a couple auxiliaries. I also walk, bike and, especially, hike least three days a week for the cardio side of things. I really don't like to run much, but challenging hikes at a decent pace act as a fine substitute. I'll probably just follow along and not comment that much, but I wanted to set my stake out so to speak :)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1177 on: July 03, 2016, 01:43:08 PM »
So as I've transitioned into a more advanced level of lifting, I am coming to grips with the fact that my goals were probably unrealistic for 2016. Combined with more work travel than expected and a couple minor injuries, my progress is much slower this year than it was in 2015. I suppose I also need to accept that 5-20lb PRs are the new norm.

Here is where I'm at after the last cycle (first number is from my last round of PRs in late March):

Bench: 225 -> 235 Set good 5 rep (+20lbs) and 8 rep (+15lbs) PRs, but only slight progress in the 1RM. Still pretty happy though since I suck at bench. My 255 goal might still be possible.

Box squat: 395 -> 375 Very disappointing. I have to admit I hate squats and tend to skip squat days if I have to miss a workout, but losing 20lbs is a much worse than expected result. Definitely motivated to up my game here. Doesn't help that I was never as good at box squatting as free squatting, but the hip just won't let me do the latter any more. Less than zero chance I hit my original 455 goal this year.

Deadlift: 515 ->535 That 535 was quite a grinder, but I'm reasonably happy with the progress here. 585 is unlikely to happen. I will be thrilled if I get to 565.

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1178 on: July 04, 2016, 10:52:38 PM »
PDM, I realized that you were relatively new around here, and I didn't get any goals down for you. Do you want to jump in with some 'rest of the year' goals?

Ok, here goes, currently in week 10 if an interrupted 1/2 marathon program - target race 7th August Brisbane Marathon Festival.
Goal 1hr 50min - that'd be a PB. Sub 2 hour should be achievable. Other goal - sub 20min 5km - target this later in the year.  It is marathon season at the moment in the cool winter months. Running in summer here isn't ideal.

After that, shift back to weights, no clear targets just gradual improvement on the 5 lifts in SL5x5 and avoiding poor technique and injury.

Additional goal - daily yoga practice of some form.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1179 on: July 05, 2016, 07:34:17 AM »
Plugging away over here! No update in a while I realized. I only did 5 workout in all of June. Not my finest month! I'm at 2 already for July, though. (Hiked Sunday, ran to a park to do sprint intervals followed by overhead press and pull ups when I got home).

We're still feeling out the new schedule. I'm back up to 3 days per week. Nursing days with 1.5 hr drive each way. So no time to workout on actual work days, so blitzed and tired I can barely move Saturday, so that leaves me with only 3 days per week. Which means 2 workouts if I need a recovery day.

That being said, my Wednesday and Fridays are going to switch to a mere 9 hour work shift, so 12 hours overall. Much shorter than my current 15s. I'm hoping maybe something calm, like yoga or a hike, will be able to happen Saturday now?

How does everyone else schedule their fitness around a blocked work schedule like this? What would you do in my position?

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1180 on: July 05, 2016, 08:12:57 AM »
How does everyone else schedule their fitness around a blocked work schedule like this? What would you do in my position?

We wake up at 4am to go to the gym every day.  I hate working out that early (I'm always 10% weaker on my lifts) but generally that time is always free, regardless of what happens the rest of the day.  It seems like afternoons/evenings are a crap shoot and it's impossible with the responsibilities of adulthood.  Plus the gym has nobody in it that early so it's in-and-out.  We roughed in a gym room for our basement and will be stocking it with weights this winter.  Once that happens I will eliminate going to the actual gym for all except a few specialty workouts like calves or mountain climbing preps.  Maybe we'll be able to sleep in another 30-60min once the basement gym is ready.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1181 on: July 05, 2016, 04:32:04 PM »
Well, looks like I messed up yesterday. I switched out a couple of my exercises in the weight room to do a bit more work with my triceps and, particularly, lats. (These are all for functional reasons, btw. I don't really train much for appearance :) ).

Well, my triceps are fine, but my lats were aching even by yesterday evening. And not in that pleasant, post-workout ache kinda way; in that 'you actually overdid it' kinda way. My fault for neglecting them. I'm going to push my next weights session one day back and see how it feels then.

On the plus side, today I hiked after work (about 3 miles, up and down about 1000ft of elevation, about an hour). It was pretty great. I love living places where there are hiking spots with hills, trails, woods and elevation gain right on the way home from work! Because of where I live, there's no reason for hiking not to make up much or even most of my cardio work.

Which brings me to my own goals for this year:

1. Remain consistent with my routine (subject to periodization etc).
2. Convert 10 bodyfat percentage points to lean muscle.
3. Maintain commitment to hiking at least 1-2 times a week regardless of weather. (Other cardio work can be indoors, but must have at least 1-2 sessions a week be hiking.)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 04:37:44 PM by SoccerLounge »

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1182 on: July 05, 2016, 05:06:08 PM »

I learned how to exist on 4-5 hours of sleep. Probably not a great solution, though. Stress + low sleep probably negates all the health gains earned by working out. I do it to prevent becoming a veal calf, and not because of any great enjoyment for being awake at 0345. And I can't sustain it for longer than 6 weeks.

Could you come up with a very compressed routine for workdays? I'm thinking fifteen minutes of big, compound movements. It probably won't help you rip through those PR's, but it will keep you in the mentality of getting routine exercise.

Orvell

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1183 on: July 05, 2016, 05:12:59 PM »
I joined Habitica (which tracks your to-do lists in an adorable way) and set it to force me to do the Nerd Fitness beginner body weight workout every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. 8D Did it today. BOOM. Take that procrastination.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1184 on: July 05, 2016, 06:22:21 PM »

I learned how to exist on 4-5 hours of sleep. Probably not a great solution, though. Stress + low sleep probably negates all the health gains earned by working out. I do it to prevent becoming a veal calf, and not because of any great enjoyment for being awake at 0345. And I can't sustain it for longer than 6 weeks.

Could you come up with a very compressed routine for workdays? I'm thinking fifteen minutes of big, compound movements. It probably won't help you rip through those PR's, but it will keep you in the mentality of getting routine exercise.

This is a good idea, but I'm putting you all on the hook. I have no ideas.

Here are my constraints:
1. I can't make noise. I have an outdoor home gym, and 5am is not an acceptable time to drop weights. I have a pull up bar, a yoga mat, and could conceivably pull out the barbell but set up can't always happen, if husband is parked in the carport at the time.
2. I can't be *too* sore, because I have to be able to reposition a 75lb+ client, and haul over 100lbs of gear in a little cart, etc etc. Very physical job.
3. No time for showering before work, so I can't get *too* sweaty.

What would you guys do? 5 pulls ups, a lap of lunges, call it a day? Would that even do anything? =P

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1185 on: July 05, 2016, 06:46:22 PM »
More gym-ing today. Convict Conditioning, beginner's exercises, 2x15, 1x7. I'm going to keep adding 2 reps to the last set, until I'm up to 3x15. Then test the 2x25 for the intermediate level.

Jordan, you asked if I read the Convict Conditioning book. Nope! But I have watched the 60min videos on Youtube for each exercise (except headstand with doesn't seem to exist and I'm afraid of anyway). I got a good introduction to the theory of conditioning the joints, etc. That's what sold me on the program, actually. I keep hurting myself in big, life altering ways, and I wanna quit that. Do you still recommend I read the book?

Happy Plant, what about the 6 movements from the Convict Conditioning program. Sorry, I know that was predictable, but they do cover the whole body. Pushup, pullup, squat, bridge, abdominals. Do a superset of 1x10 for each, then repeat. Drop an exercise until you reach exhaustion, or you need to quit to avoid soreness, or you run out of time. I bet you can get seriously out of breath in about 2 minutes. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1186 on: July 05, 2016, 06:49:44 PM »
More gym-ing today. Convict Conditioning, beginner's exercises, 2x15, 1x7. I'm going to keep adding 2 reps to the last set, until I'm up to 3x15. Then test the 2x25 for the intermediate level.

Jordan, you asked if I read the Convict Conditioning book. Nope! But I have watched the 60min videos on Youtube for each exercise (except headstand with doesn't seem to exist and I'm afraid of anyway). I got a good introduction to the theory of conditioning the joints, etc. That's what sold me on the program, actually. I keep hurting myself in big, life altering ways, and I wanna quit that. Do you still recommend I read the book?

Happy Plant, what about the 6 movements from the Convict Conditioning program. Sorry, I know that was predictable, but they do cover the whole body. Pushup, pullup, squat, bridge, abdominals. Do a superset of 1x10 for each, then repeat. Drop an exercise until you reach exhaustion, or you need to quit to avoid soreness, or you run out of time. I bet you can get seriously out of breath in about 2 minutes.

I will admit I haven't actually looked at any of the convict conditioning stuff. Hmm, maybe I should do that. Do Wed/Fri, the days I have a bit more time (vs Thursday, my 15-16 hour days... ouch).

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1187 on: July 05, 2016, 07:47:30 PM »

I will admit I haven't actually looked at any of the convict conditioning stuff. Hmm, maybe I should do that. Do Wed/Fri, the days I have a bit more time (vs Thursday, my 15-16 hour days... ouch).

Try the 7 minute workout! http://perigee.se/apps/seven/

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1188 on: July 05, 2016, 08:30:33 PM »

Here are my constraints:
1. I can't make noise. I have an outdoor home gym, and 5am is not an acceptable time to drop weights. I have a pull up bar, a yoga mat, and could conceivably pull out the barbell but set up can't always happen, if husband is parked in the carport at the time.
2. I can't be *too* sore, because I have to be able to reposition a 75lb+ client, and haul over 100lbs of gear in a little cart, etc etc. Very physical job.

What would you guys do? 5 pulls ups, a lap of lunges, call it a day? Would that even do anything? =P

Yoga. Heaps of free yoga videos on youtube.

And/or a body weight fitness plan.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness/wiki/faq

Them redditors know whats up.

jordanread

« Reply #1189 on: July 06, 2016, 07:38:04 AM »
SoccerLounge & PDM, I have you both added to the tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet. We have fun around here.

My initial knee-jerk reaction was to say "Yes, read it!!" However, I started thinking about it, and realized that when I read the Convict Conditioning book, I was also reading a few other ones and I may have been getting them mixed up. It's been awhile since I watched the videos, but based on this:

I'm making my peace with the fact that it's going to take me quite a while to work up to the Progression state.

I'm actually beginning to think that it may not be necessary. I still suggest reading the book, however, I don't think you need to. The way that I see it, there are a couple of important points that the book provides.

• Progression standards are slow, and this is a good thing.
  • Foundational Strength may not be necessary for the early steps, but getting your body used to those movements will help later on.
  • It's more important to have perfect form on each rep before you progress, rather than just progressing.

Some of the other bodyweight books I put on the resource post have a whole lot of info. The Naked Warrior is one that struck me as very useful.

However, I took a bit of time and perused the CC book this morning, and I can kind of summarize it as follows:

• Preliminaries
    • The fitness industry is a huge scam
    • Function over form
    • Iron isn't available all the time
    • Jail Stories
    • The evolution of fitness (historical gladiator, body building, etc)
  • The Big 6
    • The main muscles targeted by this particular exercise
    • Examples of look and capabilities as one progresses (for that muscle group)
    • Ancillary and support benefits of strength of those muscles
    • What perfect form looks like
    • Snarky comments on what it currently means to have a good {body part} (The abs sections were hilarious)
    • Common issues with form, how to identify them, and how to fix them
  • Self Coaching
    • Different workout programs
    • Workout logs
    • Bodyweight principals
    • Listening to your body

jordanread

« Reply #1190 on: July 06, 2016, 08:18:29 AM »
Oh, and I almost forgot. I think it's in the videos, but the rep timing is the other thing to remember. It's 2-1-2, so every rep should take 5 seconds.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1191 on: July 06, 2016, 08:26:29 AM »

The days I take a refrigerator up a flight of stairs single handedly, (or move an apartment's worth of furniture, or recycle 2000 lbs of broken concrete or shovel 2 yards of soil...) I generally consider that my workout for the day.
I workout much more in the winter, when work is slower, primarily so that I'll be capable of doing my job again next season.

I doubt our pre-electricity and internal combustion ancestors had any great need to "work out", just like most animals don't bother.  You just live, and that's sometimes a challenge.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1192 on: July 06, 2016, 08:27:47 AM »

Here are my constraints:

This is probably gonna come across as a smackdown, but please take it with a dose of good-natured ribbing.

1. I'm sure if I surfed through the 30 pages of this thread I could find what your goal actually is, but I'm lazy.  I'm coming at this from a bbing angle.  So what *I* care about is making my body look the most aesthetically pleasing it possibly can - in my eyes (and legally).

2. Time for a not-so-humble brag...I'm willing to bet my body looks better than 99% of the people on this forum (again, by my bodybuilding criteria).  There's genetics...but the point for saying that is whatever I'm doing is working, and would probably work for you.

3. So now that I've established myself as arrogant and pompous in your eyes, lol, I'll continue...my workouts are ridiculously easy and short.  Literally my wife and I did shoulders today in the gym and it took less than 20min for both of us.  The only workout that ever exceeds 30 minutes of actual lifting is legs, and that's just because it takes a while to rack the weights on and off between sets with both of us using the same rack.   You don't need to get all cute and fancy with your workouts and spend an hour in the gym every day.  Literally 20 minutes actually working out.  Sometimes I get sweaty during leg day, but generally I don't sweat at all while I'm lifting.  If I worked out outside in summer and the humidity, things would be different though.  You could just get up 5 minutes earlier which would give you time to shower.  A shower is literally five minutes.

4. The only exercise we do that could possibly make any sort of noise worth caring about is straight-legged deadlifts, and in my case that's only because I don't put a collar on the end of the bar and the weights tend to rattle around when I bring the bar back to the ground.  I could easily eliminate this with just a modicum of care.  So noise shouldn't even be a factor at all. 

5. I spend my days at work - after working out - crawling all over large heavy equipment outside that could kill you in a second.  Just last year I literally carried a 200lb man down three large flights of stairs by myself (a mile offshore in the summertime) because he was in diabetic shock and all the old slackasses I work with were too out of shape to assist.  This was on leg day - the hardest of the week.  More bragging but again point is that being tired at work is a pretty poor excuse not to work out.  Once you've actually gone through 2-3 weeks of lifting then you really don't even get sore at all, right?  I only work 10 hour days so maybe 15-16 would be different, but I could adapt my workout if I had to.

There are people at the gym at that time with all sorts of different careers that I talk to daily - fire, police, FBI, secret service, linesmen and teachers to name a few.  Somehow they make it work, but it does take commitment and I'm sure it isn't always easy.

Sorry, not trying to be an ass.  Just saying that it can be done. 

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1193 on: July 06, 2016, 09:48:13 AM »
Plugging away over here! No update in a while I realized. I only did 5 workout in all of June. Not my finest month! I'm at 2 already for July, though. (Hiked Sunday, ran to a park to do sprint intervals followed by overhead press and pull ups when I got home).

We're still feeling out the new schedule. I'm back up to 3 days per week. Nursing days with 1.5 hr drive each way. So no time to workout on actual work days, so blitzed and tired I can barely move Saturday, so that leaves me with only 3 days per week. Which means 2 workouts if I need a recovery day.

That being said, my Wednesday and Fridays are going to switch to a mere 9 hour work shift, so 12 hours overall. Much shorter than my current 15s. I'm hoping maybe something calm, like yoga or a hike, will be able to happen Saturday now?

Trying to wrap my head around your schedule.

So you work 3 days a week? Including your drive, they are now 12 hour days, but used to be 15?

I.e. You have 4 days off?

I work industrial construction in the south. I often spend several hours outside in the heat working. I will admit, I am in the office quite a bit.

The first 5-6 months this year I worked 60-70 hr weeks. That's leaving for work at 6 and getting home at 5:30, 6-7 days a week. I typically had every other Sunday off.

I lift weights hard with my wife at the gym for 1 hour, followed by 20 mins of cardio, 3 days a week. I could count how many days I've "missed" this entire year. I eat 6x a day (between shakes and meals) and miss maybe a meal or two a month, and it's usually if I'm on vacation.

I worked as a CNA for several years, so I understand the work. I also worked out then just as much.

I'm with big owl up there. If you don't want to lift or exercise or whatever, that's fine. However working "3 long days a week" is not an excuse. I'd LOVE that schedule. I'm just starting to get full weekends off now and it's amazing.

If I have misunderstood your work schedule, my apologies and this doesn't apply.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1194 on: July 06, 2016, 02:25:55 PM »
...my workouts are ridiculously easy and short.  Literally my wife and I did shoulders today in the gym and it took less than 20min for both of us.  The only workout that ever exceeds 30 minutes of actual lifting is legs, and that's just because it takes a while to rack the weights on and off between sets with both of us using the same rack.   You don't need to get all cute and fancy with your workouts and spend an hour in the gym every day.

Yes! Preach!! The best results I've ever had in the weight room were from limited-duration workouts. Right now, I'm doing whole-body twice a week, and seeing some nice (if slow, per my earlier post) gains. Doesn't take more than about 35 minutes, and that's including racking all the weights etc. One of the problems I used to have that led to always getting injured or aggravating prior injuries was the tendency to overdo it by thinking I had to work out for an hour or 90 minutes at a time. That's really not necessary, especially for weights. Just my experience. :)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1195 on: July 06, 2016, 03:29:48 PM »
I am not a big person with the benefit of lots of naturally flowing testosterone, so I will say that I completely understand being wiped out after a 12 hour physical work day and think that it's reasonable to not want to work out on those work days. In fact, I work an office job now with 12 hour days and I don't want to do shit after work either. I think sleep is an equally important part of health as lifting heavy metal things and don't recommend cutting back on it just pack in more physical activity.

So I will say these "I go up mountains with 500 pound boulders on my back 16 hours a day and then I bench press 500lbs after work" responses don't really make sense to me. BUT what's most important is you hit a stride that makes sense for you, personally, as those posters have.

I find that I don't have too much issue with being sore the next day as long as I don't do blow-out working out. Perhaps you can do some tracking to figure out what the reps/max limit is for you to not be sore the next day. You also do yoga as well as strength training, right? Maybe yoga is a good day-after-long-work-week workout since it's more rejuvenating and might get some of those nurse-muscle kinks out.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1196 on: July 06, 2016, 04:08:19 PM »
So I will say these "I go up mountains with 500 pound boulders on my back 16 hours a day and then I bench press 500lbs after work" responses don't really make sense to me.

What, you mean you can't?

But seriously: I have a pretty erratic work sched, and keeping the workouts short really does help. I also work out right after work before I even come home, so that I'm not tempted to just say 'eff it.' (This is also why I am a member of a 24hr gym - not Anytime Fitness, a mom-and-pop with nice free weights etc. :) )

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1197 on: July 06, 2016, 04:22:44 PM »
I am not a big person with the benefit of lots of naturally flowing testosterone, so I will say that I completely understand being wiped out after a 12 hour physical work day and think that it's reasonable to not want to work out on those work days. In fact, I work an office job now with 12 hour days and I don't want to do shit after work either. I think sleep is an equally important part of health as lifting heavy metal things and don't recommend cutting back on it just pack in more physical activity.

So I will say these "I go up mountains with 500 pound boulders on my back 16 hours a day and then I bench press 500lbs after work" responses don't really make sense to me. BUT what's most important is you hit a stride that makes sense for you, personally, as those posters have.

I find that I don't have too much issue with being sore the next day as long as I don't do blow-out working out. Perhaps you can do some tracking to figure out what the reps/max limit is for you to not be sore the next day. You also do yoga as well as strength training, right? Maybe yoga is a good day-after-long-work-week workout since it's more rejuvenating and might get some of those nurse-muscle kinks out.

That's why we said we do the 500lb bench presses *before* going to work to roll the 500lb boulder up the mountain.  So we don't have to deal with it at the end of the day when tired after work.  And I still get 8-9 hours sleep a night (no kids though...life choices..).

Funny you should mention testosterone though.  Just a month ago I had a blood test done for another unrelated medical problem and they checked testosterone.  I came in at the lower 20% of normal range, sigh.  So apparently the secret isn't high test levels.  And I'm an ancient 36yo, not some mid-twenties young thing like bracken.

jordanread

« Reply #1198 on: July 07, 2016, 05:50:29 AM »
I'm going to chime in on this one. The actual specific goals are always in the tracking post, but here is a snippet of Bracken_Joy's.

ParticipantGoals
Bracken_Joy
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 200lbs (Stretch: 270lbs)
  • 1 set/1 back squat 135lbs(Stretch: 200lbs)
  • Achieve proper and comfortable front rack position
  • 1 set/1 strict pullup

This actually reminds me, from your journal and you busting out pull ups at the Meetup you hosted, should I mark that goal off, or is there something else to be done (does it need to be stricter)?

Big_Owl and SoccerLounge, I love the enthusiasm, and the face punches are definitely a good response if what you are addressing is a case of excusitis. In this particular instance, that is not the case, though (I think). I'm going to address a few things as far as my understanding of the situation goes, and we might get even more valuable feedback. IMO, the most valuable thing that was stated in response was challenging the idea of long workouts = good workouts. As described, that is most definitely not always the case.

So IME, and based on the feedback received, the answer to whether that would do anything is a resounding yes!! As a matter of fact, in the goal description post, there is Tabata, and that is only a 4 minute workout. It's more HIIT, and I haven't actually done it, but it appears to capitalize on the idea of short workouts being of value. I don't remember off the top of my head who put that as their goal, but maybe they can chime in with their experience of it all.

2. Time for a not-so-humble brag...I'm willing to bet my body looks better than 99% of the people on this forum (again, by my bodybuilding criteria).  There's genetics...but the point for saying that is whatever I'm doing is working, and would probably work for you.

It was a statistically unfortunate fact that you managed to write this in response to someone who is in that 1%. :D I did love your description of why you workout, and I want to use that verbiage and shift it to include my mirror lust statement. It reminds me of some of the stuff that Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Apple) said about working out, and how his workouts are all about embracing his inherent laziness. He wants to look good, and he wants to accomplish that with as little effort as possible (i.e. efficiency).

Here are my constraints:

First things first, I'll address these constraints, and a bit of stuff that has been posted about here and in other places in regards to this. In this particular instance, BJ isn't providing excuses, as she's kicked ass this entire year, and had a routine that worked quite well. But my understanding is that her schedule has shifted, and the constraints are things to keep in mind, for the following reasons.

BJ does lifts that involve dropping the weight from above her head. I can't remember what they are called, but I did watch a video she posted that kind of showed how freaking loud that is. Couple that with the fact that there has been 'complaints' from neighbors regarding the noise, and it's just a proactive constraint, and will give an idea as to where her frame of mind is when it comes to working out. The olympic style lifts are kind of her default.

With the soreness section, instead of maybe needing to carry someone because nobody else can, her entire job is being in a position where she is the one who may have to do that, every day, so I think it's more about erring on the side of caution. As a healthcare worker who literally has people's lives in her hands, she'd rather have a workout that is too easy, and sacrifice some potential gains, than to go too hard and put her clients at risk because she was greedy.

I don't know about the shower thing, because framed in another way, I could see it as an excuse, although I do agree with M2 about sleep being a huge part of things too. This is mostly colored by my issues with sleep though, so if you don't have issues with it, I could see waking up a bit earlier.

All that being said, I'm actually with SS on this one. I think going through some of the bodyweight progressions would be a good alternative. You most likely aren't going to feel the nice burn like you do with your lifting (that only happens at the very beginning, and only if you haven't done anything else), but there will be a good impact to your bottom line strength. Maybe do a set of some pistol squats since you can do those. Doing the bodyweight exercises slowly reduces the sweat as well, and the time spent will be less overall.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong with my assumptions here. It may be that Big_Owl was right and you were being all whiny and excusy :P, or I viewed the constraints as exactly what they were, but got the understanding screwed up. I usually assume the best about people in this thread, even though IRL I assume the worst.

jordanread

« Reply #1199 on: July 07, 2016, 05:51:10 AM »
Ah, it was supermatthew who set the Tabata goal.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!