Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 403351 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1050 on: June 06, 2016, 06:12:57 AM »
Still debating if I want to do the Spartan at the end of August. It's much harder and I'd do it by myself. May choose to allocate my time/discretionary funds to a Mtn Bike event I like instead.

Well, I went ahead and signed up for the Spartan during their Memorial day sale.

It will be much tougher than the Warrior Dash so I can't "fake" my way through it.

just under 3 months to train!!

http://www.spartan.com/en/race/detail/1146/overview

Dude, that's awesome!! Do you want me to add a goal about completing it, or with a time limit, or something? Or are you good with not making it a goal?

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1051 on: June 06, 2016, 11:38:31 AM »
Toyed around with deadlifts today. Hit several easy singles with 500. Re-did my platform so that it's a little more level (sloped garages suck) and the strain is gone in my lats and triceps from keeping the bar from swinging out. Thrilled is too simple a word.

295 on the scale today. Been a while since I was under 300. Arms taped at 18.75" and quads are coming in at just under 30"

Little less fat, little more muscle, slowly getting stronger. I'll take it.

Granted I'm about to wreck my weight loss in 2 weeks on the honeymoon. I am eating everything. Not just a lot. I intend to cause food shortages.

Glad you got that fixed- my gym floor isn't quite level- and it's really annoying- the bar rolls constantly and either you have to set up "crooked" to get to the bar- or set up straight and pull the bar into you. so super annoying.
I don't know if it's made a huge difference in my body- since there are  few options and it's not the same exact consistently uneven pull.

Congrats on the honeymoon/marriage- good luck eating all the things. Mine's coming in September- and we don't have plans yet- but I'm pumped about eating all the things. Because #fatkidproblems.

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1052 on: June 06, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »
I am ashamed to admit that I have been intimated from posting in this thread because of being intimidated by the weights being shared! I'm currently working through a second round of New Rules of Lifting for Women after about 2 years of a) recovering from a low back strain/misalignment of my pelvis and b) just doing my own thing. It's fun and I can't wait to try out Strong by the same authors. The programs look good. 

Before I re-started New Rules, I had been focusing on squats & deadlifts-my max (not 1RM) on Squats was 155 (I believe? I need to record things better) and on Deadlifts (with a hex bar-it's easier for my back) was 195. Now for the same reps, I'm down to about 170 on deadlifts and I don't even know for squats (due to the move being a squat to push press), but with this program, I'm seeing more upper body gains which I had been struggling with before going back to this program. You get some, you give some!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1053 on: June 06, 2016, 08:24:42 PM »
Still debating if I want to do the Spartan at the end of August. It's much harder and I'd do it by myself. May choose to allocate my time/discretionary funds to a Mtn Bike event I like instead.

Well, I went ahead and signed up for the Spartan during their Memorial day sale.

It will be much tougher than the Warrior Dash so I can't "fake" my way through it.

just under 3 months to train!!

http://www.spartan.com/en/race/detail/1146/overview

Dude, that's awesome!! Do you want me to add a goal about completing it, or with a time limit, or something? Or are you good with not making it a goal?

thanks! Hopefully it does the trick and keeps me focused over the Summer.

Guess I'm in-different as to Goal/not goal. Short of injury I'll def finish it. No idea what a realistic time to shoot for is.  Looking at the results from last year the front runners were right around an hour. But then there were people all the way at 3-4 hours :P   I've also heard occasionally there are back ups at the obstacles; which may cause some of the long times.

So, I guess yeah don't bother adding it. Thanks though.

All 4 of my initial goals should factor in with my training for the race though -

1. Complete a set of 10 pull ups
2. Bike 1000 miles
3. Achieve approx 15% Body-fat
4. Bench my weight, Dead lift and squat 1.5 my weight

1. Still kind of stalled at 3 pull-ups. Actually recently switched back to inverted rows to try and get my reps up, and then will go back to pull ups. Lots of upper body obstacles to use this strength for, rope climb, monkey bars, etc.

2. Bike was stolen last year and only recently replaced. So I'm only at approx 80 miles so far this year. Gotta have a kick ass biking Summer to hit the 1000. I sort of loathe running so lots of my cardio comes from biking.

3. Hmmm... need to seriously reduce the liquid carbs/calories to get this one on track. A leaner LWTG will be easier to get over/under/through obstacles!

4. In progress, lifting two times a week currently. May switch to 3 but probably stick to 2 and incorporate 1-2 body weight days. Stronger = Better for bucket carry, wall climb, etc.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1054 on: June 06, 2016, 09:56:59 PM »
3 months I didn't next to no strength work - first I was training for ANW, (bodyweight and skill workouts), then I did crossfit, then a few weeks of light weight high reps for appearance's sake for B2B...

Now I'm finally going back to trying to pick up the heaviest things I can, and then try to pick up a little more than that a few days later.
Happy to discover I haven't really lost any ground.

My record for week of 24 Feb was 5@110 for overhead press and 4@+75 pullup, Saturday did 4@115 and 5@65
Better yet, my deadlift at the time was 5@240.  Today; an all-time PR, 1@300#! 

Experienced some really weird sensation I never have before, from the moment the bar left the ground till I let it go again, it was like it stopped feeling heavy, everything in the room became muted, and I felt pressure in my head like I was changing elevations rapidly.

jordanread

« Reply #1055 on: June 07, 2016, 06:56:16 AM »
I am ashamed to admit that I have been intimated from posting in this thread because of being intimidated by the weights being shared! I'm currently working through a second round of New Rules of Lifting for Women after about 2 years of a) recovering from a low back strain/misalignment of my pelvis and b) just doing my own thing. It's fun and I can't wait to try out Strong by the same authors. The programs look good. 

Before I re-started New Rules, I had been focusing on squats & deadlifts-my max (not 1RM) on Squats was 155 (I believe? I need to record things better) and on Deadlifts (with a hex bar-it's easier for my back) was 195. Now for the same reps, I'm down to about 170 on deadlifts and I don't even know for squats (due to the move being a squat to push press), but with this program, I'm seeing more upper body gains which I had been struggling with before going back to this program. You get some, you give some!

Since I wasn't really able to find the actual NROL For Women program, how do you want me to add your goal? Complete the program? Are there progression standards?

Glad to have you!! Don't feel intimidated by other people here. This is the 2nd year of this gauntlet, and some people have almost 18 months of working out, just in this thread (never mind the time spent before this). Strength & Fitness, as meant in this thread, isn't something that can be accomplished by doing a 30/60/90 day program. Those have their place, but this gauntlet is for sustainable gains and growth. We're about creating the habit of working out, eating right, whatever. If you look at the tracking post, you will see that everyone is different, with different goals, desires, and methods. Around here, we embrace the differences between people.

Granted, feel free to use some of the other participants as motivation if you have that competitive urging, just realize that most of us are only in a competition with out past/future selves. I will say that I will occasionally use some of the photos and stories as a bench mark. When I do any kind of stretching, I compare myself with Zikoris (and realize that she could probably beat me up), when I catch a glimpse of my back in a mirror, I compare my leanness with that of Bracken_Joy (and realize that she could probably beat me up). When I wear a bow tie, I compare myself to Bakari (and he definitely outsparkles me), when I find myself belly dancing, I compare myself to JoRocka (and realize I'm not that fabulous), when I do yoga, I can't help but imagine the crazy stuff EngineerYogi gets up to (and realize that she could probably beat me up). And don't even get me started on Use2betrix. Freaking abs.

Anyway, this is a fun place. State your goals, I'll add them, and then jump in with us!!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2016, 06:59:43 AM by jordanread »

jordanread

« Reply #1056 on: June 07, 2016, 07:07:38 AM »
LWTG, I am rooting for you! I can't wait to read about how you did. That is so bad ass.

3 months I didn't next to no strength work - first I was training for ANW, (bodyweight and skill workouts), then I did crossfit, then a few weeks of light weight high reps for appearance's sake for B2B...

Now I'm finally going back to trying to pick up the heaviest things I can, and then try to pick up a little more than that a few days later.
Happy to discover I haven't really lost any ground.

My record for week of 24 Feb was 5@110 for overhead press and 4@+75 pullup, Saturday did 4@115 and 5@65
Better yet, my deadlift at the time was 5@240.  Today; an all-time PR, 1@300#! 

Experienced some really weird sensation I never have before, from the moment the bar left the ground till I let it go again, it was like it stopped feeling heavy, everything in the room became muted, and I felt pressure in my head like I was changing elevations rapidly.

Wow. I like that when fitness becomes a part of life, losses aren't so great when one switches up methods for a while. That lightheadedness type thing, is that messing with the lifts? I only get that way when I am upside down, so I have no advice to give on that front. Be careful.

Some of you may know that I recently started a really crappy commute, that requires me to get up early, and then do nothing. This is only my 3rd week, and since I don't get to ease into my mornings anymore, my workouts have been suffering. I'm going to have to double up a few workouts to hit my 80% goal. Anyway, this week I added an extra 15 minutes available, with the goal of working out. I did a few pushups and pullups yesterday, but not an actual workout, just something to get the blood moving. It most certainly helped my mood a bit, so I can't wait to figure out how an actual workout effects me. That should be tomorrow morning, as I'm going to get everything put in my panniers tonight, and then workout as soon as my coffee is made.

I realize that I was a bit lucky being able to make my own schedule for the last couple years, and discipline is much more important now. For all of those with a schedule and still working out, I salute you!!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1057 on: June 07, 2016, 07:44:28 AM »

No shame ever on your weights. Every one starts from SOMEWHERE- and often it's the bar.
You never should excuse or apologize for the work you're doing.  It's work- just the same as everyone else and it's all welcome here.

Be proud of yourself for going through the program and making progress!!!  That's a big huge step in and of itself!

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1058 on: June 07, 2016, 07:53:58 AM »

No shame! When i started, I could barely bench press 100 pounds as a 25 year old male weighing 200 pounds. It's all about progression and consistency, glad to have you on board!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1059 on: June 07, 2016, 09:43:17 AM »

It wasn't all that long ago that I was using a dowel to practice back squat form, because my lats and shoulders were so tight that standing under the bar gave me a panic attack. I still have to pad the bar most of the time. Part of my workouts is picking the weight up, just once, under just the bar, and standing there for ~10 seconds. And we save that for the end of my workout, because it still makes me feel claustrophobic sometimes.

No shame! Time for an incredibly stupid song that I find really motivating (warnings: techno, warning #2: swearing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJOVN2ycXQ

Because remember:
He told me
Never compare to somebody else
The only person you should compare is with yourself
That means your today
should totally be
Better than your yesterday's you
If you believe

=D If that's not a motivational speech, I don't know what is!

jordanread

« Reply #1060 on: June 07, 2016, 09:53:35 AM »
No shame! Time for an incredibly stupid song that I find really motivating (warnings: techno, warning #2: swearing): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoJOVN2ycXQ

Because remember:
He told me
Never compare to somebody else
The only person you should compare is with yourself
That means your today
should totally be
Better than your yesterday's you
If you believe

=D If that's not a motivational speech, I don't know what is!

Oh wow. I actually have the instrumental version of this song as my alarm. The words are cool though. New theme song for S&F?

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1061 on: June 07, 2016, 10:12:58 AM »
Thanks all! Mostly shamed that it took me that long to get over my own head and remember that I'm happy with my accomplishments so far. I'm nearing the end of one stage and looking forward to changing my routine up this week!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1062 on: June 07, 2016, 02:17:48 PM »
LWTG, I am rooting for you! I can't wait to read about how you did. That is so bad ass.

I realize that I was a bit lucky being able to make my own schedule for the last couple years, and discipline is much more important now. For all of those with a schedule and still working out, I salute you!!

Hey, thanks man.  Going to try and be a bit more active on this thread as well. i always read along but am going to try and post some progress more for accountability; and maybe some questions as they arise.

Yeah discipline is tough with a work/commute schedule; but really tough when you throw a few kids in the mix!!

Also JR, random question but since I know your in CO. Do you ski/board?

jordanread

« Reply #1063 on: June 07, 2016, 02:34:09 PM »

Hey, thanks man.  Going to try and be a bit more active on this thread as well. i always read along but am going to try and post some progress more for accountability; and maybe some questions as they arise.

Yeah discipline is tough with a work/commute schedule; but really tough when you throw a few kids in the mix!!

I can and have done both, and almost every year, the SO and I look at some of the deals, and discuss it. You know, we should go to Breckenridge this year and do some skiing/boarding (personally, I prefer snow-blading...short skis and I can do double black diamonds without issue). Yeah, that sounds good. Instead we wind up doing snowy hikes, sledding, and the like, and never actually get out there. I think it's been about 10 years since I've gone.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1064 on: June 07, 2016, 02:42:30 PM »

I can and have done both, and almost every year, the SO and I look at some of the deals, and discuss it. You know, we should go to Breckenridge this year and do some skiing/boarding (personally, I prefer snow-blading...short skis and I can do double black diamonds without issue). Yeah, that sounds good. Instead we wind up doing snowy hikes, sledding, and the like, and never actually get out there. I think it's been about 10 years since I've gone.

Cool, just curious. It's one of my big Passions and always jealous of Colorado/Utah folks (but mostly CO). Def not very Mustachain though; one of the reasons I've tried shifting my focus more to Mountain biking the last couple years.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1065 on: June 07, 2016, 02:43:41 PM »

Cool, just curious. It's one of my big Passions and always jealous of Colorado/Utah folks (but mostly CO). Def not very Mustachain though; one of the reasons I've tried shifting my focus more to Mountain biking the last couple years.

my brother worked in Vail for many years- he LOVED snowboarding.   And he's chronically broke.  I was like- well- you're hobby is hella expensive and you live where all the old white folks go to vacation- what were you expecting LOL

jordanread

« Reply #1066 on: June 07, 2016, 02:47:03 PM »

Yeah, I don't dislike it, but there is so much free stuff to do around here, it almost doesn't make sense unless you get a big group going, and make a party of it.

It's funny, here in CO, while there are a lot of bikers and the like, we have a disproportionate number of scuba divers (like me and the SO). When I went to Florida last year, some friends who live there said they have a disproportionate number of skiers. Always want what you can't have I suppose.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1067 on: June 08, 2016, 01:53:17 PM »
I haven't checked in since setting my goals, and I am FAILING! I did complete 17/30 days of 30 days to stretching, but started slacking when I saw no improvements and switched over to bodyweight training (Mark Lauren's $5 app on the Apple Store). That went well for 2 weeks (8 work-outs! The most I've ever worked out! Real sore muscles!) but then I got into an accident that put staples in my scalp.... needless to say, physical exercise was not permitted for weeks, and now I'm a sad puddle of inflexibility and weakness :(

I think the most reflective measurements on my body are weight and waist - together they should paint a picture of my progress decently, so here they are, and I'm picking back up on the bodyweight training as soon as my scab falls off! (literally).

Weight: 121 lbs
Waist: 29.7 inches

Literally the heaviest and widest I have been. Ever.

jordanread

« Reply #1068 on: June 08, 2016, 02:45:30 PM »
I haven't checked in since setting my goals, and I am FAILING! I did complete 17/30 days of 30 days to stretching, but started slacking when I saw no improvements and switched over to bodyweight training (Mark Lauren's $5 app on the Apple Store). That went well for 2 weeks (8 work-outs! The most I've ever worked out! Real sore muscles!) but then I got into an accident that put staples in my scalp.... needless to say, physical exercise was not permitted for weeks, and now I'm a sad puddle of inflexibility and weakness :(
[...]

Mark Lauren has some really good stuff. I think I have You Are Your Own Gym on the resource post. As one who failed miserably last year (first post of this year has a link to my failure wrap up from last year) and is actually doing pretty good this year, I can say that this experience will be nothing more than a super impressive benchmark when you tell the story of how you totally kicked ass the rest of this year. You've got this.

This thread has evolved into quite the resource in general, so if there is anything we can do to help/motivate/cajole, just post! And this is just for curiosity's sake, but do you mind sharing what happened? Well, maybe it won't be just curiosity, as we can collectively come up with something that works around (or helps) any residual injuries.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1069 on: June 08, 2016, 03:02:59 PM »
[...]

Mark Lauren has some really good stuff. I think I have You Are Your Own Gym on the resource post. As one who failed miserably last year (first post of this year has a link to my failure wrap up from last year) and is actually doing pretty good this year, I can say that this experience will be nothing more than a super impressive benchmark when you tell the story of how you totally kicked ass the rest of this year. You've got this.

This thread has evolved into quite the resource in general, so if there is anything we can do to help/motivate/cajole, just post! And this is just for curiosity's sake, but do you mind sharing what happened? Well, maybe it won't be just curiosity, as we can collectively come up with something that works around (or helps) any residual injuries.

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! I had the back of a hatchback slammed on my skull (accidentally! but with force..) so I bled like I was in a horror movie and then was Frankenstein for 2 weeks with a shiny row of staples under my hair. No worries, there was just a no-exercise, no-helmet, no-swimming ban for a while but no lasting impact expect for a new bald patch :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1070 on: June 08, 2016, 03:09:04 PM »
[...]

Thank you for your kind and encouraging words! I had the back of a hatchback slammed on my skull (accidentally! but with force..) so I bled like I was in a horror movie and then was Frankenstein for 2 weeks with a shiny row of staples under my hair. No worries, there was just a no-exercise, no-helmet, no-swimming ban for a while but no lasting impact expect for a new bald patch :)

Ouch!!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1071 on: June 08, 2016, 03:12:03 PM »
Hi, My name is EngineerYogi and unless I have a very specific extrinsic motivation I apparently suck at accomplishing my goals.

*sigh*

Yoga teacher training starts in a week and a half, so I will accomplish yoga goals because of that for the next two months. I'm going to need to keep scheduling myself things like this to stay on top of it. Maybe some lifting oriented competitions are in my future or something cycling race/ride related?

jordanread

« Reply #1072 on: June 08, 2016, 04:47:20 PM »
Hi, My name is EngineerYogi and unless I have a very specific extrinsic motivation I apparently suck at accomplishing my goals.

*sigh*

Yoga teacher training starts in a week and a half, so I will accomplish yoga goals because of that for the next two months. I'm going to need to keep scheduling myself things like this to stay on top of it. Maybe some lifting oriented competitions are in my future or something cycling race/ride related?

Oh. I just saw that your goal in the tracking post mentioned may. Do you want to add a new goal for June, or modify that one to be an annual goal (note: if you choose the latter, I expect that you will greatly increase the number of classes required ).

If you need extrinsic motivation for the bike commuting, what about leaving your car at work or something? I found my riding greatly increased when the fuel pump went out in my car (I suggest something less drastic).

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1073 on: June 08, 2016, 06:20:32 PM »
I don't have any specific goals right now with lifting-it's a mental health/physical health thing. Generally, I want to get stronger so breaking the 200 lb barrier on deadlifts would be AWESOME.

It's interesting to hear the outdoorsy avocations here! I'm in the Northeast and backpacking (thru-hiked the AT in 2010) has always been my thing. I'm going for a weekend in two weeks and the main problem is figuring out how we'll get there (the 2-3 of us don't own cars). I'm excited to hang out in the woods and do nothing or go for a long walk and then read and sleep.

One side benefit about being consistent with lifting and the NROLFW program is that a work shirt that was too tight last summer is slightly looser and therefore wearable now! (My partner also consistently compliments my strong back)

jordanread

« Reply #1074 on: June 09, 2016, 03:04:23 PM »
Between you guys and the people on the Nerd Fitness forums I've apparently been driven to insanity awesomeness.

FTFY

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1075 on: June 09, 2016, 03:28:25 PM »

*sigh*

Oh. I just saw that your goal in the tracking post mentioned may. Do you want to add a new goal for June, or modify that one to be an annual goal (note: if you choose the latter, I expect that you will greatly increase the number of classes required ).

If you need extrinsic motivation for the bike commuting, what about leaving your car at work or something? I found my riding greatly increased when the fuel pump went out in my car (I suggest something less drastic).

Once I hit 20 classes I will think of something new. I'm at 10 or 11 classes right now...

That's an interesting thought, I have two cars at the moment with DH away. Maybe I should give my keys to my neighbor? Or just refocus on the goal and get my butt to it... (which reminds of this funny story about a girl on a diet who gave her peanut butter to the neighbor so they could make sure she'd only have 1 serving at a time, except one day the neighbor wasn't home so she broke into the house and ended up eating the whole jar...girls on diets are crazy... and the point of my story is I don't want to have to break into my neighbors house for my car keys...)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1076 on: June 09, 2016, 05:37:28 PM »
I just wanted you guys to know it's your fault I went to the gym today after several weeks of not going (illness, next to no sleep). You hear that? IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. It's also this forum's fault in general that I was able to grab a lunch out of the freezer from the batch I made ahead rather than going out for lunch today.

Now don't you just feel terrible? :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1077 on: June 10, 2016, 08:19:14 AM »
I just wanted you guys to know it's your fault I went to the gym today after several weeks of not going (illness, next to no sleep). You hear that? IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. It's also this forum's fault in general that I was able to grab a lunch out of the freezer from the batch I made ahead rather than going out for lunch today.

Now don't you just feel terrible? :)

Success! I mean... plain awful. ;)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1078 on: June 10, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
Between you guys and the people on the Nerd Fitness forums I've apparently been driven to insanity awesomeness.

FTFY
Speaking of insanity.....I'm considering starting to do triathlons again....what is wrong with me?  I even went swimming yesterday!

jordanread

« Reply #1079 on: June 10, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »

FTFY
Speaking of insanity.....I'm considering starting to do triathlons again....what is wrong with me?  I even went swimming yesterday!

I'm certain that has nothing to do with other things going on. Totally independent event.

jordanread

« Reply #1080 on: June 11, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »

FTFY
Despite almost dying twice and taking a shortcut that cut three miles, I do feel like a badass for my ride yesterday. I stopped when I needed to, got back on the bike when I was ready, and finished 20 miles despite a heat index that was flirting with triple digits. Hills are still the bane of my existence and I over heated at one point but I did better than the ride last year even though it was much hotter this time.

One event down....three to go this month
Hell yeah! Way to go.

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1081 on: June 11, 2016, 12:45:29 PM »
Good job AerynLee! That sounds really tough. Hills on bikes are the bane of my existence as well. Doing that in the heat? You have my admiration!

I started stage of five of new rules for women yesterday and today my partner's been driving me around on errands (to a town 20 miles away and then back to the other side of town from where we both live) and it has felt nearly impossible to get in and out of his tiny two door hybrid. DOMS is hitting really strongly...

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1082 on: June 11, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »
Rage fueled deadlift session today. 600 for a single, 545 for 6. Might do some tire flips later.

Rage stems from moving company damaging over $10k in furniture, stealing a bunch of electronics and glassware, then looking around the garage today for my drill, and finding most of my power tools are gone too. Jerks.

Still, 600 felt good.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1083 on: June 11, 2016, 07:29:04 PM »
Rage fueled deadlift session today. 600 for a single, 545 for 6. Might do some tire flips later.

Rage stems from moving company damaging over $10k in furniture, stealing a bunch of electronics and glassware, then looking around the garage today for my drill, and finding most of my power tools are gone too. Jerks.

Still, 600 felt good.

Do you have any recourse/action you can take against them? Surely a simple checkbox count of boxes/items at the start and end of the move would avoid this?

I think I'm on track to be able to beat one of my goals next month. Local 11k fun run, want to do it in under 57 minutes... (it's all downhill so that helps time-wise :)  )

Yesterday just did a ~6k 'training' run in a new best of 32 mins. Always room for improvement, but that one felt good.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1084 on: June 12, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »

Still, 600 felt good.

Do you have any recourse/action you can take against them? Surely a simple checkbox count of boxes/items at the start and end of the move would avoid this?

I think I'm on track to be able to beat one of my goals next month. Local 11k fun run, want to do it in under 57 minutes... (it's all downhill so that helps time-wise :)  )

Yesterday just did a ~6k 'training' run in a new best of 32 mins. Always room for improvement, but that one felt good.

It's all documented and the claim is moving forward. Just had to amend the claim and not brew yesterday. Had planned on making an irish red ale, but won't get very far if I can't grind the grain.

Bench training today, then I'll jump on the rowing machine for a while.

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1085 on: June 13, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »
Tested my PRs Saturday. Got my 405 Squat, haven't hit my other goals yet, but bench increased 15lb and deadlift went up 40lb. Doing Ragbrai at the end of next month, so that isn't going to help with strength.

jordanread

« Reply #1086 on: June 13, 2016, 07:32:41 AM »
Tested my PRs Saturday. Got my 405 Squat, haven't hit my other goals yet, but bench increased 15lb and deadlift went up 40lb. Doing Ragbrai at the end of next month, so that isn't going to help with strength.
The SO told me about that. She used to live on the route. Have a great time. Is this your first time?

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1087 on: June 13, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »
The SO told me about that. She used to live on the route. Have a great time. Is this your first time?

The route actually changes every year. I did the whole thing in 2012, and have done days here and there on different years. I did the last three days last year because it came through a suburb of my home town.

jordanread

« Reply #1088 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »

The route actually changes every year. I did the whole thing in 2012, and have done days here and there on different years. I did the last three days last year because it came through a suburb of my home town.

Ah, I was not aware of that. That ride has never appealed to me because heat. However, since the SO is from there, it might be an interesting test of how I do when it's freaking hot (getting better as I lose more "insulation", but I still prefer 50F).

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1089 on: June 13, 2016, 02:26:51 PM »

Still, 600 felt good.

http://tucson.com/news/blogs/police-beat/dead-injured-in-i--crash-near-marana/article_f09bd43f-544c-5ceb-8ff7-50731f381136.html

That's my moving truck from 2 years ago, it took almost 6 months to get the claim resolved because of the investigation required. So I feel you! But it could always be worse...

jordanread

« Reply #1090 on: June 13, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »
So I started a new job, and my workouts have been suffering as I try to get adjusted to a new schedule. I do know that I am going to have to double up a couple of weeks if I am going to hit my goal for consistency (I think it was 80%, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I made a thing to fill out, and promptly forgot the actual numbers), which sucks, but it's okay. Well, for some reason, I didn't even consider not working out before work, but I realized that I have evenings and weekends available. And my workouts don't take that long. I worked out again yesterday, doing some bridges and pullups. Man it felt good to start getting back in the swing of things.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1091 on: June 13, 2016, 06:21:23 PM »
Hey everybody, remember me? No? Well, that's unsurprising. I posted a goal, then disappeared.

I've actually been following long avidly, but something held me back from posting. I had knee surgery 12 months ago, and ever since I've somehow lost the knack of exercising. Mostly because I'm a big, sloppy, lazy, unworthy mess. A grit-less loser who lacks moral integrity, and is disgustingly mired in self pity. I don't deserve to post, because I'm not really exercising. Etc.

I'm exaggerating a little, but I have been feeling incredibly frustrated. In addition to the bionic knee, I have a chronic back injury that limits my squatting, running, biking, and most core muscle exercises. I got into a cycle of trying to use pre-made internet routines, aggravating my back/knee, getting discouraged, then switching to another routine. My strength never improved, I made no progress towards my goals, and I spent a lot of time with a very poor, and yes self-pitying attitude.

Last month, I decided enough was enough. It's my body, and it's critical I find an approach to exercise that works for me. Now I'm deeply enmeshed in changing my fundamental attitude towards exercise, and it seems to be working really well.  The only rule is 30 minutes per day, and the bar for 'exercise' is about an inch off the ground.

The approach seems to be working. I started off walking, but I few weeks ago I it might be fun to jog for a little while. So I jogged, and I stopped when I was ready. No stopwatch or Couch-to-5k program flogging me towards a goal. Just a little jog. It was awesome, and I smiled the entire time.

jordanread

« Reply #1092 on: June 13, 2016, 09:08:43 PM »
SS, I'm pretty certain that uber descriptive self flagellation burns calories. Anyway, glad the new routine is working out for you. Enjoying fitness is, IMO, the best way to make sure you consistently do it. And maybe next time you see Petrie, you'll be able to keep up on your bike rides.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1093 on: June 14, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
I've had two busy weeks, which have destroyed my fitness schedule in some ways. (Right on the tail of visiting my parents- not a great month for fitness!). First, I picked up an extra work shift and it absolutely wrecked me physically, followed by a recovery day, then a day where I wasn't at home at all, and then back to work again, and then straight to camping for 4 days.

At the very least, while camping, we hauled a ton of wood and water up and down steep terrain. Also it was cold as !*$&# overnight, so I'm pretty sure that counts as metabolic training ;) Or maybe I'm just saying that to make myself feel better...

Anyway, moving back to a more standard schedule after this next work chunk, so starting Friday. Hoping I can get back on the fitness train again. I hate feeling like my goals are falling by the wayside! After so much progress during the first quarter of the year, I haven't been too pleased with my progress in Q2... treading water at best.

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1094 on: June 14, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »
Bracken_Joy, I look forward to hauling water this weekend while camping! (It's my least favorite camping chore). Today I had to work at our office downtown (instead of the program office in my neighborhood). I had a great bike ride into work, took about half an hour, 10 minutes faster than expected. It's reminded me that I miss biking every day. Except I'm one of those kind who can't just go for a joy ride, I have to have a destination.

Sailor Sam

• CMTO 2023 Attendees
  • Walrus Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1095 on: June 14, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »
SS, I'm pretty certain that uber descriptive self flagellation burns calories. Anyway, glad the new routine is working out for you. Enjoying fitness is, IMO, the best way to make sure you consistently do it. And maybe next time you see Petrie, you'll be able to keep up on your bike rides.

Oh, make no mistake. I smoke Petrie's ass when it comes to bikes. It's the running that she excels at. As in, literally accelerates away from me.

Went to the gym last night. I did a nice warm up on the elliptical, then did a beginners round of Convict Conditioning. Except for the headstands. I tried it once, and I'm terrified I'll snap my neck. So I'm saving those for later.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1096 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:18 PM »

Oh, make no mistake. I smoke Petrie's ass when it comes to bikes. It's the running that she excels at. As in, literally accelerates away from me.

Went to the gym last night. I did a nice warm up on the elliptical, then did a beginners round of Convict Conditioning. Except for the headstands. I tried it once, and I'm terrified I'll snap my neck. So I'm saving those for later.

First applause for you! Welcome back :)

And second I went to yoga today and did my first successful not at a wall headstand in class! (SS you won't snap your neck, put weight in your hands/arms to offload some pressure.)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1097 on: June 15, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
I've been MIA between a weird work schedule and a vacation! Husband and I went to Atlanta to run the Hotlanta Half Marathon. We finished in 2:30.34. That almost 12 minutes slower than my PR, but given how hot, humid, and hilly it was, I'll take it. We also ran the Braves Country 5K the day before (31:27- Also hot, humid, and hilly). Beyond the races, I got some training runs, body weight work, and a round of last week. So far this week it has just been a lot of walking (seeing the sights) and some stretching. Taking it easy this week so I don't have a set back like after my April half.

bgsnyder- good luck with RAGBRAI. I'm from Iowa originally. Have several family members who have done all/part of it. They loved it. It's on my goal list, but might be a few years.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1098 on: June 16, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »
I did seated calf raises today with 5 x 45lb plates on the machine today for reps.  That's an all time PR for me and was pretty exciting.  Onward to the 600lb standing calf raise!!!  My calves are looking pretty diesel these days.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1099 on: June 16, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »

First applause for you! Welcome back :)

And second I went to yoga today and did my first successful not at a wall headstand in class! (SS you won't snap your neck, put weight in your hands/arms to offload some pressure.)

Since when does the forum have emojis?????

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!