Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402413 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1000 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
Visiting my parents, and I've really been feeling the weighlifting work I've been doing! Load a 75lb freezer up into a truck alone? No problem! Carry a large cooler full of ice water and meat 1/4 mi across a slippery dock and up a ramp so steep I have to take off my shoes to stay on it? Awesome, didn't even take a break! And more to the point, I took multiple trips doing this- packed the entire bed of a pickup, alone, in the rain, with lots of food and camping gear, in less than half an hour. (We thought we would be there longer and had to cut the trip short, so still totally full coolers).

Anyway, while I can't exactly work on my fitness goals during my visit, I can at least appreciate the yield of my past efforts. (Not to mention wearing a bikini a couple times a day and having some ab definition is a pretty nice feeling too! But I'm far more proud of the functional than the aesthetic).

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1001 on: May 18, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »
Visiting my parents, and I've really been feeling the weighlifting work I've been doing! Load a 75lb freezer up into a truck alone? No problem! Carry a large cooler full of ice water and meat 1/4 mi across a slippery dock and up a ramp so steep I have to take off my shoes to stay on it? Awesome, didn't even take a break! And more to the point, I took multiple trips doing this- packed the entire bed of a pickup, alone, in the rain, with lots of food and camping gear, in less than half an hour. (We thought we would be there longer and had to cut the trip short, so still totally full coolers).

Anyway, while I can't exactly work on my fitness goals during my visit, I can at least appreciate the yield of my past efforts. (Not to mention wearing a bikini a couple times a day and having some ab definition is a pretty nice feeling too! But I'm far more proud of the functional than the aesthetic).

Life PR! :D ;)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1002 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:25 PM »
Yogi I'd imagine I'm there. Since I am just starting now to go heavier and less reps (4-8) my strength falls off quicker than what 1 rep max calculators tell me.

I workout at a powerlifting gym and have seen this a few times whenever bodybuilders join us until they adjust to the training. They are just two different disciplines. Bodybuilders can always smoke the pure powerlifters in high rep work, but just the opposite is usually apparent when maxing out.

I am not at all an expert in programming. By far my least mustachian expense is that I pay a trainer to write mine for me, but I will say I have made massive progress in strength over the past year due to that programming and I never work to failure unless I'm maxing out.

Typically, each week involves one heavy and one speed/rep day on Bench/Squat, with speed deadlifts thrown into the speed squat day (these consist of 10-12 sets of 1-2 reps for each at <75% 1RM, with a focus on form, speed, and explosiveness, plus accessories). Now that I can deadlift 500+ lbs, I only pull heavy once/month (substituting for a heavy squat day), which definitely helps with recovery and so far has not seemed to have slowed my strength gains.

Bench is for higher volume simply because recovery is faster. A typical heavy day, for example, would be 3x3 progressing from 75% to 95% during a cycle, and then 3x5 close grip @ 60-80% and 3x8 legs up wide grip @ 50-70%, and accessories. To reiterate, none of this is my programming, but +200 deadlift, +150 squat and +100 bench in a little over a year feels like pretty good progress to me! :)

Yeah I'm sure there are definitely better more programmed and mathematical ways of increasing strength, I just have to desire to do any of those programs at this moment. Right now since I'm typically lifting 3 days a week (occasionally 4) I either train lower body twice a week or upper twice a week, but usually not both. Couple that with 4 days of rest and it gives me time to recover (lots of glutamine helps too).

Here's my growth on my program so far:
March 18th (first day starting)
Squats 265x8
May 9th (last time I squatted)
315x8

March 24th (first day doing flat barbell bench)
255x10
May 4th
275x9

I can't say for deadlift since I just started but my first time back at it was April 26th 405x10 then again May 11th for 415x12.

Other lifts have gone up similarly. I expect the raise to slow down soon as it always spikes up when you start something new.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1003 on: May 19, 2016, 07:02:47 AM »
Yogi I'd imagine I'm there. Since I am just starting now to go heavier and less reps (4-8) my strength falls off quicker than what 1 rep max calculators tell me.

I workout at a powerlifting gym and have seen this a few times whenever bodybuilders join us until they adjust to the training. They are just two different disciplines. Bodybuilders can always smoke the pure powerlifters in high rep work, but just the opposite is usually apparent when maxing out.

I am not at all an expert in programming. By far my least mustachian expense is that I pay a trainer to write mine for me, but I will say I have made massive progress in strength over the past year due to that programming and I never work to failure unless I'm maxing out.

Typically, each week involves one heavy and one speed/rep day on Bench/Squat, with speed deadlifts thrown into the speed squat day (these consist of 10-12 sets of 1-2 reps for each at <75% 1RM, with a focus on form, speed, and explosiveness, plus accessories). Now that I can deadlift 500+ lbs, I only pull heavy once/month (substituting for a heavy squat day), which definitely helps with recovery and so far has not seemed to have slowed my strength gains.

Bench is for higher volume simply because recovery is faster. A typical heavy day, for example, would be 3x3 progressing from 75% to 95% during a cycle, and then 3x5 close grip @ 60-80% and 3x8 legs up wide grip @ 50-70%, and accessories. To reiterate, none of this is my programming, but +200 deadlift, +150 squat and +100 bench in a little over a year feels like pretty good progress to me! :)

exactly- the goals are completely different.   It makes me laugh when people "shun" lifters who sit between sets and play on their phone.

OH really- tell me how much time you need between 5 x 3 sets at 80-85% of your single rep max?  Resting is important. If you're lifting for strength- you rarely lift over 6 reps.

A really REALLY nice program is PHAT- which has a nice push pull split for strength and then hypertrophy days.  I really am interested in doing it- but I just cannot support a 5 day a week lift schedule consistently. I could do it for a few weeks- but right now I run 12 week programming- and I just- couldn't do sustain that b/c it would require significantly less sleep.

But for those who want something that hits both- I would HIGHLY recommend PHAT.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1004 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »
Have not been very active on this thread due to my lack luster fitness routine but I have been reading along feeling equally shamed and encouraged. This was one of my best weeks yet-

Sat - Warrior Dash 5K
Sun - Relax
Mon - Lift weights, some cargo biking
Tue - Hard day at construction, demo/carrying
Wed - Dug 18 hole sin the ground and carried a ton (literally) of concrete around to the back of a house
Thur - 11 mile mountain bike ride
Fri - Lift Weights

Hoping to keep it going now, and here is a Warrior Dash pic just for fun:

jordanread

« Reply #1005 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »
I don't see a pic.
Eta... It might just be my phone. I'll check in the morning on the computer.

It's working for me now. That looks awesome! You have a good time?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:32:58 PM by jordanread »

prefixcactus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1006 on: May 21, 2016, 01:32:23 AM »
    The problem with setting my goals here is that almost never having exercised properly before I've no idea how easy or hard achieving them might be and how long it will take. So I'll post a progression:
    Pullups:
    • tier 0 (right now): 15x inverse (i.e. get myself up, then descend slowly)
    • tier 1: 25x inverse
    • tier 2: the first proper pullup of my life!
    • tier 3: three pullups
    • tier 4: 6 pullups
[li[tier 5: 10 pullups[/li]
[/list]
Cycling:
  • tier 0: 19.2 kph average speed over my 18.8km commute. Hold that.
  • tier 1: 20+ kph
  • tier 2: 22+ kph
  • tier 3: 22+ over 25km
  • tier 4: 24+ over 30km
  • tier 5: never dip below 25kph when on the road (barring obstacles&traffic lights, of course) over 30km

I'd also like to get started with weight lifting, but I don't know where to get a good beginner's program
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 01:34:37 AM by prefixcactus »

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1007 on: May 21, 2016, 06:36:33 AM »
That looks awesome! You have a good time?

Yeah it was really fun!

We have been having an insanely wet Spring here so the trail degraded really quickly. Between that and the fact I was running with DW the Warrior Dash turned into a bit of a Warrior Walk at some points, but obstacles were still cool and a nice unique day outside.

Still debating if I want to do the Spartan at the end of August. It's much harder and I'd do it by myself. May choose to allocate my time/discretionary funds to a Mtn Bike event I like instead.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1008 on: May 21, 2016, 06:55:27 AM »

Yeah it was really fun!

We have been having an insanely wet Spring here so the trail degraded really quickly. Between that and the fact I was running with DW the Warrior Dash turned into a bit of a Warrior Walk at some points, but obstacles were still cool and a nice unique day outside.

Still debating if I want to do the Spartan at the end of August. It's much harder and I'd do it by myself. May choose to allocate my time/discretionary funds to a Mtn Bike event I like instead.
Is the Spartan similar to Tough Mudder?  I did a Warrior dash a few years ago.  Those are a lot of fun!

jordanread

« Reply #1009 on: May 21, 2016, 09:31:51 AM »
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/which-obstacle-race-right-you

It appears my completely non research ideas about the races is correct. It looks like they're both difficult, except that Tough Mudder focuses a lot more on teamwork and collaboration while Spartan Race is a lot more individually based. I'm probably going to eventually do them in the following order: Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Spartan Race.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1010 on: May 21, 2016, 05:55:22 PM »
Goals for this year are

Squat: 550 (Current 475)
Bench 365 (Current 315)
Deadlift : 650 (Current 575)

350 pound atlas stone over a 52" bar
Axle clean and press 275

This year I really want to get my self into position to take strongman nationals next year.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1011 on: May 22, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »
Goals for this year are

Bench 365 (Current 315)

Axle clean and press 275

This year I really want to get my self into position to take strongman nationals next year.

Those are impressive numbers. What's your height and weight?

I want to keep losing weight but I feel like I may be at the point where if I keep losing it'll hinder strength gains.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1012 on: May 22, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »
Goals for this year are

Bench 365 (Current 315)

Axle clean and press 275

I want to keep losing weight but I feel like I may be at the point where if I keep losing it'll hinder strength gains.

Impressive indeed! I am a ways behind that level of strength, but in 1.5-2 years my own hope is to accomplish 525+ squat, 315+ bench, and 650+ deadlift at 6'4" and <242 lbs. I am told that weight is a bit low for my height, but I've always been a skinny dude and I'm not sure I want to blow up much beyond that. I'm a not-especially-lean 215 right now, so I have tons of muscle to gain before I push that number. We'll see how I feel when I get there!

That said, I hear you about weight loss, too. I was only 180 lbs when I started powerlifting a year and a half ago, and have gained over 30 lbs since then by training hard and eating like a maniac. The only problem is I'm sure at least 10-15 lbs of those gains is fat, and my pants are not fitting comfortably any more, which I hate! I really want to cut some fat, but I've been so addicted to the strength gains I'm afraid to do it.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1013 on: May 22, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
Goals for this year are

Bench 365 (Current 315)

Axle clean and press 275

Thanks man. I'm a fat powerlifter, 6'4" 302 pounds today. Been lifting for about 3 years now. Started out over 360 many years ago, lost 150 pounds in a year, stayed there for a while, then had a messy breakup and ate my way back up to where I had been under the auspices of "well, the more I eat, the stronger I get"

The good side is I'm 40 pounds lighter than I was 6 months ago, bloodwork is way better, and I'm a little stronger. Looking to hit around 275 then consider if I want to try to add muscle or keep cutting. Dropping fat has increased my speed for strongman, but is making bench gains a pain. Still, better health and cardio endurance will let me have fun longer, so it's worth it.

jordanread

« Reply #1014 on: May 23, 2016, 05:28:53 AM »
Goals for this year are

Bench 365 (Current 315)

Axle clean and press 275

Brute,

I've got you added to the tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet. That atlas stone looks crazy!! Glad to have you here.

The problem with setting my goals here is that almost never having exercised properly before I've no idea how easy or hard achieving them might be and how long it will take.
[...]
I'd also like to get started with weight lifting, but I don't know where to get a good beginner's program

PrefixCactus, we can modify your goals throughout the year. The first year is always a learning experience. Take a look at Jon_Snow's progress from last year, as an example. He roughly estimated some goals, and misjudged how much progress he'd make over the year, and blew all of them away. You can also look at my goals from last year. They almost all would have been easily attainable, except I slacked off and hit almost none of them. I love the progress you've made with the biking pace, so merely a 'maintain 19kph pace' would be a valid goal, with a stretch goal of consistently hitting 20kph. We can always modify them throughout the year, or add new ones as you get your routine locked in. Also, this year I spoke a bit about Journey goals, which aren't necessarily so much about hitting a mile stone, as consistently doing something. You'll see in my goals that I have a goal to just practice the slack line 20X this year, without any guidelines on that goal for the progress. I just need to get out and do it. Then I have another goal that is results based, that may come just by practicing, but may not. The goals are for motivation, benchmarking, and advice, not punishment. I don't know much about weight lifting programs, but Nerd Fitness may have some decent starting ones for you.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1015 on: May 23, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »

Yeah it was really fun!

Is the Spartan similar to Tough Mudder?  I did a Warrior dash a few years ago.  Those are a lot of fun!

Spartan is a little different than Mudder and Warrior Dash in a couple ways -

1. There are three diff lengths - Sprint (3 miles) Super (8 miles) and Beast (12 miles) vs Warrior dash which is always 3 miles and Mudder always 12 miles (though they did recently add a half mudder to some cities)

2. Spartan is timed where the other 2 are more for the sense of completion

3. Mudder and Warrior dash say to just skip an obstacle if you not comfortable with it. Spartan if you can't complete an obstacle you have to do a 30 Burpee "penalty"

4. A lot of the Mudder/Warrior obstacles are just psychological (cold water, heights, confined spaces) where physically almost anyone can/could do them ( I saw plenty of really out of shape people) vs. a lot of Spartan ones require a lot of strength - rope climb, long monkey bars, carrying a 50 pound weighted bucket up a hill, etc.

All fun, but Spartan probably the hardest.

Ok, typing that has me checking out the DC spartan in an other window. Gotta think on it!

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/which-obstacle-race-right-you

It appears my completely non research ideas about the races is correct. It looks like they're both difficult, except that Tough Mudder focuses a lot more on teamwork and collaboration while Spartan Race is a lot more individually based. I'm probably going to eventually do them in the following order: Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Spartan Race.

Tough Mudder plays up on the team aspect which I'm sure would be fun but the one I did I ran by myself.

I would say your order is the correct way to go. It's what I did/plan to do. (have not done Spartan yet)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1016 on: May 24, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »

4. A lot of the Mudder/Warrior obstacles are just psychological (cold water, heights, confined spaces) where physically almost anyone can/could do them ( I saw plenty of really out of shape people) vs. a lot of Spartan ones require a lot of strength - rope climb, long monkey bars, carrying a 50 pound weighted bucket up a hill, etc.

All fun, but Spartan probably the hardest.

I've never been around a Tough Mudder, but I would agree with this from what I've seen at Warrior Dashes (Completed several) and a Spartan race (only volunteered/spectated). The Spartans are much harder, much more physical. Warrior Dashes aren't that tough generally if you are in any kind of shape (or even fairly out of shape as LWTG mentioned. I was pretty out of shape/well overweight the first time we did one and managed to complete all the obstacles). The hardest part of their obstacles are usually just that they are caked in mud and slippery. Still a lot of fun, still a bit of a challenge, but nothing like what I saw at the Spartan race I volunteered at... I was super impressed with the competitors.

Had a great trip to DC with my students. I got a few runs in last week, but nothing else. Walked a TON in DC. Managed to get a nasty cold, hope it doesn't slow me down too much this week, though we will see how running goes tonight.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1017 on: May 24, 2016, 08:33:48 AM »
Progress check-in:
Biking in May:  225 miles.  I'm toying with the idea of throwing in a few long rides this week just to see if I can hit 300.  Long term goal is still 200. 
Current progress on crunches: Now at 3 sets of 20 standard crunches.  Form has gotten much better.  Next week I'm adding crunches that focus on different groups.
Weight:  Steady at 198-200 lbs.  My body is busy moving weight around.  Legs bigger, belly smaller.  I'm not complaining.   
Minimizing sugar:  Had my bowl of ice cream for the month.  Dates are dangerous things for willpower. 

Notable observation:  My coffee requirements have been cut by greater than 50% over the last month (unintentionally).  I must be sleeping MUCH, MUCH better.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1018 on: May 24, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
I went to the gym and lifted weights! I took about 10 weeks off from lifting, mostly I lost my motivation and just needed something different, I needed a break. Yesterday after a pretty long day at work I got home and just got that itch so I hopped on my bicycle and rode the 4 miles to the gym and spent an hour lifting. I got in shoulders, squats, deadlifts and glutes. I need another day to hit upper back, chest and some accessory stuff. I think I'll go again on Wednesday.

I went on a bike ride with stops for beer on Saturday, covered 29 miles total (longest stretch was 14.4 miles with a 600ft climb in elevation) and I've never ridden further than 5 miles before this. So that speaks to my overall conditioning and fitness and I'm really happy about that. I hope to do a long ride at least once a month from here on out.

My yoga habit is going strong, I still need to up my frequency but I'm getting there. I regularly am getting compliments on my practice, it always feels good. :) I unintentionally met the commander of the base fitness program, his wife is in the officer's spouses club I'm a member of. He and I chatted about me starting to teach once I get certified in August and he's happy to have me! :D Side gig, here I come.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #1019 on: May 25, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
I went to the gym for a few hours...a typically intense session that follows a (long) weekend of excess food and drink and not enough exercise. I feel considerable guilt and dissapointment every time this occurs - which, thankfully isn't often - though Lady Snow is very much about doing it once in a while to "get it out of your system". Not sure....I've heard of "cheat days"....but "cheat WEEKENDS"?

My half marathon goal in June may well be in doubt....I tweaked my Achilles' tendon again...on a treadmill no less. I was good at 6.5 mph...then 7.0. Then decided to throw in a sprint of 7.9 mph...POP! Dammit. There is obviously something amiss when I try to lengthen my running stride, as everything seems fine when I keep my stride shorter...with more of a heel strike gait...but when I try to explode off the toes and power with the calves...it's NOT BEEN GOOD. I'll likely give running a break for a bit....thankfully I can keep my cardio level up with the stationary bike, which doesn't affect the Achillles at all...in fact it feels much better after a 30 minute pedal.

Today was particularly fun at the gym...because while I was there the good folks of this forum have been busy plying my Journal with puppy names. :)

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1020 on: May 25, 2016, 08:01:07 PM »
It's been quite a while since I checked in here, though I've been lurking still.

A few weeks ago I developed a tightness on the left side of my sternum while doing weighted dips, and it's been affecting my progression in a bad way.  I took a week off after it initially happened, but it's still there even when I deload entirely and use only bodyweight.  I'm pretty sure I pushed for more weight too quickly and am now paying the price.  Good news is, no other chest exercises are affected, so I've been doing more push-ups to try and make up for dips.

I've also been doing high volume deadlift sessions instead of the usually 3x3 I had been.  I dropped the weight significantly and started doing 10x3 (setsxreps).  It feels great, and I've gotten back to basics regarding form. 

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1021 on: May 27, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »
Just found this thread, and know I need to get in on the action.
Right now, I'm couch potato - I walk my son (21 months old) to the park frequently, and chase him around the house, but that is very much the extent of my exercise. Oh and I take him to swimming lessons once a week.

So I curently have a rather vague goal of get fitter.
Why?
Because I want to model a healthy lifestyle for my son,
So I have an outlet for anxiety energy (which will help mental health)
So I like what I see in the mirror a bit more
So I have more energy and am overall healthier.

Now this may be a little excusitis, but I am moving interstate in a couple of months so right now gyms with their contracts are out, until I get to Broome. I do find I do better in group activities - I used to go to the gym, and use the equipment there, but never felt like I was achieving anything. I really want to get into some form of martial art (I used to do judo) and get into some kind of water sport. (Maybe kayaking.)
So I was wondering what tips people have for 1) getting started and 2) exercising with a toddler? (I don't get time away from him.)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1022 on: May 28, 2016, 06:44:44 AM »
So I curently have a rather vague goal of getting fitter.
 I do find I do better in group activities - I used to go to the gym, and use the equipment there, but never felt like I was achieving anything. I really want to get into some form of martial art (I used to do judo) and get into some kind of water sport. (Maybe kayaking.)
So I was wondering what tips people have for 1) getting started and 2) exercising with a toddler? (I don't get time away from him.)
Disclaimer: These are all things that I've done, but I'm more of a loner when it comes to exercise.

If you are willing/interested in running, I used to use a running stroller with DS.  He loved it.  To get started using something like the couch to 5k program is supposed to work pretty well. 

Going to the pool with your toddler is actually a surprising amount of effort/work.  They wear a life-vest, and you push/follow them around the pool as long as you can/they are having fun.  It can be EXHAUSTING and is a surprisingly good workout.  This is good especially if he already doing swimming lessons.  Also, any chance you can swim laps a bit during his lessons?  (Note to self:  I need to start swimming this summer..)

Do you have a bike?  There are a few options - you can get affordable stands that will convert your regular bike into a stationary bike (super dull though, but easy to do during nap time).  Biking outside, similar to the bike stroller, you can get a toddler carrier to pull him along behind you. 

These aren't specifically group activities, but there are possibly running groups in your area (try meetup.com) where there are all different paces of runners (their will probably be people doing Cto5K) and no one will complain about you bringing a toddler in a running stroller.  You could also look for groups of people to bike with.  In my experience, these groups always have a very wide spread in terms of ability/speed, so you'll usually have someone at about your pace.  (I may be spoiled living in a big city). 

Also, if you know other parents, maybe you could convince some of them to do these things with you.

Is there a martial arts place (dojo?) where you could get temporary kid care? 

Good luck!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1023 on: May 28, 2016, 10:23:08 AM »

1) Don't have experience with a toddler, although the jogging stroller idea could work well, as would things like the squat challenge, which can easily be done at home. Grab a few dumbells and a kettlebell and you can do quite a few exercises on your own.

2) As someone who went from 6+ years of doing little to no exercise to feeling antsy when I miss a day at the gym, in my experience the first and most important step is pushing through the unfun first couple months and establishing routine. Once exercise is a routine, it gets easier, but it's still critically important to give in as little as possible on those days you're feeling unmotivated, as backsliding can be easy when the routine is still not very ingrained (you'll always be glad you worked out anyway).

I can only speak for myself, but over time I transitioned from forcing the workouts (and not particularly enjoying them), to habitually working out (occasionally having to push through low motivation), to really really enjoying working out and, as I said, feeling weird if I miss a day. The prospect of toiling for years before you're really fit can be daunting, but it gets exponentially easier and more fun the further down that road you travel.

I am also a big fan of specific goals (e.g. running a 5k without ever walking, deadlifting 200 lbs, whatever). Don't be too ambitious with the first one, but make it a slight stretch. It is so satisfying to meet a goal and doing so never fails to make me get even more ambitious with the next one. Good luck. We're here for you!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:25:39 AM by Lagom »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1024 on: May 28, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »
 I do find I do better in group activities - I used to go to the gym, and use the equipment there, but never felt like I was achieving anything. I really want to get into some form of martial art (I used to do judo) and get into some kind of water sport. (Maybe kayaking.)

Do you have a bike?  There are a few options - you can get affordable stands that will convert your regular bike into a stationary bike (super dull though, but easy to do during nap time). 

Just wanted to chime in to say I have my road bike on a stand right now and have been using it to get some exercise in while my baby naps.  It is effective.  I recommend fast paced music and some kind of interval scheme (alternating between easy/moderate/hard pedaling) to make it less boring. 

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1025 on: May 28, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
Pretty excited to report I've been working out an average of 6 hours/week (+ my daily 30-60 minutes of bike commuting) for 5 months now! Definitely feeling stronger. As I'm about to change jobs and the seasons change, I'm focusing on three key changes:
  • Start running more again. Been super lazy about this as I've been doing an hour class every day and then I get unexcited about running. My cardio conditioning is lacking because of slacking on running.
  • More outside time. Thanks to classpass, I kept working out through the dark and rain, but I'm aiming for some outside running and kayaking.
  • Building flexibility. One of my goals for this year is getting my splits back - I'm still a long way off.

In other news, I'm going to my first yoga class ever tonight. Never thought I'd consider yoga as it seems too woo-woo and cultural-appropriation-y, but it's free on classpass and I think I might need some structured stretching/relaxing time. I'm trying Moda yoga which is like a "relaxed Bikram" according to the internet. If I hate it I never have to go again.

I've been a bit of a lurker lately on this thread but I gotta say I love reading about all your adventures and goals!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1026 on: May 29, 2016, 10:40:14 PM »

Do you have a bike?  There are a few options - you can get affordable stands that will convert your regular bike into a stationary bike (super dull though, but easy to do during nap time). 

Just wanted to chime in to say I have my road bike on a stand right now and have been using it to get some exercise in while my baby naps.  It is effective.  I recommend fast paced music and some kind of interval scheme (alternating between easy/moderate/hard pedaling) to make it less boring.

And super effective apparently. Mathew Hayman won the Paris-Roubaix race this year on the back of a serious injury (a broken arm 6 weeks before the race) and pretty much only being able to use the trainer for that period due to his injury - can't change gears or brake, but can sit and pedal. Not a bad recommendation for a road bike on a trainer.

I must concur with the boring part though...

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1027 on: May 29, 2016, 11:41:43 PM »
Upper body on Friday, but what really did me in was moving over the past two days. My wife is pregnant and couldn't help much since she's dealing with nerve compression issues in her back, so I literally spent 15+ solid hours lifting and moving boxes and furniture over the past two days (no one was available to help except for two hours today moving the very heaviest stuff with me). Fortunately, I hate unpacking and my wife enjoys it (as much as one can), so despite being physically depleted in a way even deadlifting 500lbs never did to me, I am feeling damn good because we are totally moved and ~75% to being unpacked and organized.

It's a crazy feeling having your entire body feel utterly spent. Not sure I have ever felt this way after a mere lifting or crossfit session. Oddly, I kinda like it :)

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1028 on: May 30, 2016, 04:08:41 AM »
I've hit or exceeded my walking/biking goal for 2 weeks:

4-23: 1.5 hours biking, 3.3 mi walking
4-22: 8 mi
4-21: 5 mi
4-20: 5 mi
4-19: 6 mi
4-18: 5 mi
4-17: 6.5 mi
4-16: 5 mi
4-15: 5 mi and change
4-14: 5.3 mi
4-13: 5 mi
4-12: 6.4 mi (and 10 minutes stairs)
4-11: 5.6 mi
4-10: 5.5 mi (and 10 minutes stairs)

Nice! You're doing great! Glad to have someone else w/ a walking goal on this thread - mine is 1000km (620 mi) of hiking in 2016 (doesn't include day-to-day errand walking, just proper "hikes"). I'm at about 250km or 155 mi so far.

Oh hey there allsummerlong. Three cheers for walking goals. I don't get much actual hiking, so sidewalks are it for me. Let's pretend I'm not a month behind on this response.

I've been keeping up with my goals, although with much more variability. I'll skip a day, do 10 miles the next day, then 3, then 7. The average has worked out to be 5 miles a day, but I want to get back to some consistency. I don't want to get comfortable putting it off and relying on Future MonkeyJenga to make it up.

purephase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1029 on: May 30, 2016, 04:15:19 AM »
Goal number one accomplished. Just under a 10 minute PB at Sundays Edinburgh Marathon. Feeling tired and sore but very happy.

jordanread

« Reply #1030 on: May 31, 2016, 07:14:20 AM »
All right, so it's time for a data update. I haven't been super strict with measuring for a log, but anytime I weigh myself or measure myself, I go ahead and throw the numbers in a spreadsheet. With the help of my SO, I got my second measurement data points yesterday.

As a reminder, here the post detailing where I was at in January:

I took the chart from that post, and added a column.

MetricJanuaryMayTrend DirectionDifference
Weight (lbs)213.4178.235.2
BMI30.625.55.1
Body Fat (%)25.916.99
Neck (Inches)1614.8751.125
Forearm (Inches)11.87511.3750.5
Bicep (Inches)13.875130.875
Shoulder (Inches)50464
Chest (Inches)41.12540.50.625
Waist (Inches)42.2536.55.75
Hips (Inches)45396
Thigh (Inches)25.125214.125
Calf (Inches)16.5160.5

I'm shrinking!! This was not necessarily done on purpose, and I kind of expect things to shift soon. A huge part of it is having quit drinking, but another big part of it is shifting my relationship with food. I'm going to work on a draft of that post, because I think it will be helpful, along with a couple of ways I'm going to use this shift. I know I've lost a little bit of muscle, but it's mostly been fat, since beer is the only thing that consistently keeps me out of ketosis.

Goal number one accomplished. Just under a 10 minute PB at Sundays Edinburgh Marathon. Feeling tired and sore but very happy.

I've got that goal marked as complete!! I don't know a bunch about running times and stuff, but I'm pretty sure cutting 10:00 off your marathon time is bad ass!!

So I curently have a rather vague goal of get fitter.
Why?
Because I want to model a healthy lifestyle for my son,
So I have an outlet for anxiety energy (which will help mental health)
So I like what I see in the mirror a bit more
So I have more energy and am overall healthier.

Glad to have you here FK!! You've got a couple of suggestions already (and I seriously asked my SO to put a life vest on me and push me around a pool for a couple of hours...it sounds so fun!!), and since I don't have to deal with the fall out of the hikes I do with my nephew (I can give him back), I don't know how well that works, especially with a smaller person (I did take him on his first hike at like 2 1/2 - having a fit? I'm going to keep going, you better catch up before I get to the car). So I don't have much to contribute to that bit. However, I did take a bit of creative license with your goals and got a few added to the tracking post (no link, I don't have my shortcuts installed on this computer yet...but it's the second post of this thread). Some are general, some are fun, some are a middle step in figuring out what you want to do. I am more than happy to change them if any don't ring true, or you just don't want them there.

On that note, one of the goals I put for FK was to increase mirror lust. I just made that term up, and it's so much bigger than just fitness, but it applies. The term is more poetic and fun, but to me it really means just getting comfortable in your own skin. If that means that you kick ass working out, get all ripped and love that, or if it means that you find exactly what it is you want to do, and can look in the mirror knowing you can accomplish that, it's all good. It's about your very own perception of your very own body, whatever that winds up looking like.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1031 on: May 31, 2016, 07:20:06 AM »

Way to go! That is an amazing amount of time to cut off!

Upper body on Friday, but what really did me in was moving over the past two days. My wife is pregnant and couldn't help much since she's dealing with nerve compression issues in her back

I laughed a little when I read this only because I have twice managed to get out of moving (once because of an all hands on deck work emergency and once I was put into the hospital with a severe reaction to a spider bite). It has become the family joke that I'll do anything to get out of moving. I haven't tried this method yet, maybe next move... nice work though powering through and getting the move done!

Check-in:

Last week was a weird week. Two really sucky runs, one really great run, two FANTASTIC bike rides, and one sucky swim. Every workout was either SUPER great or SUPER terrible. Ah well, at least it's another week down! I decided my strength work this week was taken care of when we loaded and unloaded a bunch of pavers for the yard. That plus a lot of yard work this weekend has left me way more sore than usual.

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1032 on: May 31, 2016, 08:06:18 AM »
I Lol'd at mirror lust.
I will have to try out some of these suggestions. We have a couple of bikes, but they're too big for me, so I might try selling one, or trading it for one my size.
And chasing him around the pool will be fun next summer! With his swimming lessons, its at a dedicated swim school, so I can't sneak off to do laps anyway. But one of the reasons I started swimming lessons was to get us both moving, so that has been a start.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1033 on: May 31, 2016, 08:12:53 AM »
I posted this on my journal, but it probably belongs here, too. (Please note: wine is shared between my husband and I... usually. Heh.)  Also, I think I was a bit optimistic. "Sunshine" is not really accurate, because I live in Oregon. So "sunshine, but possibly clouds, mist, driving rain, lazy rain, sun breaks, or fog, possibly all within the same 2 hour stretch" is more accurate.

Total hiked this year: 43.4 miles
I want to set a goal for miles hiked for this year. Suggestions welcome! We hike a lot in the summer usually. I think our beginning of this year is low for us. So I'm thinking maybe 150 miles? 200 miles?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:09:49 AM by Bracken_Joy »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #1034 on: May 31, 2016, 08:48:54 AM »
Kayaked 23.4 km yesterday.

2016 paddling challenge: 96.3/500km.

Almost a fifth of the way to my goal and it's not even officially summer yet...gonna blow this out of the water I think. :)

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1035 on: May 31, 2016, 10:06:10 AM »
So far this year has been about getting stronger and more fit and having fun. And I really have been kicking ass and having fun. But I am going to compete in a powerlifting meet in August, so my training is going to be extremely focused. In the past, I've struggled with making the switch from fun to focused.

So let's track a few numbers. I have January 2016 and May 2016 so I can compare both to August 2016 when that comes around.

Back Squat: 175; 205
Bench: 140;145
Deadlift: 270; 305
1 mile run: 7:16; 7:16 (yes, I ended up with the same time)

I love this thread because it has people doing every type of fitness things. I can get my sport specific discussion AND step away from my sport specific discussion to learn/enjoy a lot of different things.

Great 5 months so far! And I can't believe it's been 5 months.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1036 on: May 31, 2016, 11:12:19 AM »
Checking in as it's the end of the month.

Running: doing really well on this one.  I have done all of my scheduled runs, and aside from one mega-flop mentioned earlier, I have been hitting my target paces (often just barely, but that's good as it means I picked a challenging but not impossible time goal!)

Pullups: It seems doing something on this EVERY day is a bit challenging, but I have managed my 5 negative pullups at least 5/7 days each week.  I'm able to descend smoothly through a larger portion of the range of motion required, so strength is increasing, I think.  For my goal of doing the beginner greatist workout 3x/week...I've managed 2x/week, and frankly, the exercises are feeling easy.  This month I start back at work so I'm not sure I'll do any better at achieving a 3x/week goal.

So for June, my goals are:

1) keep up with running as per RLRF training plan

2) advance to the greatist intermediate workout, plan on doing it 2x/week. 

3) Continue with 5 negative chinups at least 5 days/week, but time the descent and work towards 15 sec/descent. 

jordanread

« Reply #1037 on: May 31, 2016, 05:00:53 PM »
Digesting thoughts on food (related to health)

I posted my stats earlier today, and I like to think that by any measure, it can be considered progress. A huge portion of what drove the weight loss was merely stopping drinking. All those empty calories and simple carbs plays havoc on my body composition. But something else happened as well, and it was kind of strange, although ultimately beneficial. I've done a fair amount of research on food and nutrition, as well as the physiological responses based on the person and the diet. One of the things that I've come across was intermittent fasting (IF for short). This wasn't anything that would be easy for me. Even at my previous thinnest, I was very much a garbage disposal, that only disposed of delicious things. I rarely mindlessly ate or snacked, but if something was delicious, I could easily eat so much of it that I puked (I normally avoided this, but my homemade cubanos...oh man). I was all about flavor. Combining them, trying new things, separating them out, figuring out what did what.

About a month ago, I started craving a cheeseburger. I blame prospector for that one, but with all of the places within a mile of my house, none of them really got me excited enough to go there. Finally, I found a pretty damn good burger place, and went off menu to ensure that I got exactly what I wanted based on what they offered. This was not a cheap burger (going off menu rarely is for me), and when I got it, it looked and smelled great. The first thought I had as I took the first bite was "Finally, I have a burger. Yum" followed quickly by "I can totally make a better one at home, and it would probably be cheaper". I realized that while my craving was merely psychological (as opposed to a nutritional defiency or something), my craving was for an excellent burger. I looked at those cravings, and came to the conclusion that pure excellence was my goal, which means that I can totally survive, and survive more comfortably than many people I see, on merely very good food.

Now here is the part that shifted for me a few weeks ago. I realized that I hadn't really given myself permission to make food that was 'just' really good. Anytime I cooked, it had to be absolutely amazing. Like the kind of amazing that causes wars when food is scarce (since I'm tooting my own horn a bit, it would probably cause wars if people merely thought food was scarce). Even my failed attempt at a Whole30 earlier this year resulted in Smoked Vindaloo Pork, which I wouldn't consider a quick and easy meal (even though it kind of is). A single comment from JS caused me to create an entire Baja inspired meal, surrounding a freaking appetizer. Don't get me wrong, I love doing all of this stuff, but like foods that are delicious and too rich to eat all the time, I never didn't do something like that epic craziness.

Even though it started with that most Unmustachian tendencies of restauranting, it evolved into a relatively fundamental shift in the way that I viewed food. I can quickly and easily make food that can be considered very good, and my expectations were so much higher usually. However, my expectations for excellence hit very rarely. I can only remember about 2 times in the past year (including the cheeseburger incident of 2016) where I had a craving like that. I gave myself permission to enjoy the very good meals I made, but it wasn't to that level of so damn good that I wanted to gorge myself. Now don't worry, I still make excellent meals every other week at least, but by enjoying these very good meals, I was able to look beyond the flavor (in addition to...I'm not a monster), and really feel exactly what the effects were on my body. As I ate this very good food, I was able to start paying attention to how it 'sat' in my stomach, how it made me feel 10, 30, 60 minutes after I ate it. How it effected my sleep and how it effected my hunger.

As is obvious from the pictures I posted (especially at the beginning of this year), I'm in no danger of starving to death. I've got some fuel saved up. And as my body shifted to wanting to use that fuel, I realized that I didn't get hungry nearly as often as I felt obligated to eat. So I didn't eat when I didn't feel hungry. I didn't get lethargic, I didn't get sick, I didn't slow down. I just didn't feel the need to eat just for the sake of eating. I didn't eat because it was 'lunch time', I didn't eat because I 'might' need the energy. And mapping it out, I was naturally doing IF, but without trying. Also, my body was happily chugging away while gnawing on my excess fuel stores.

This has been interesting for me. I never gave much thought to my relationship with food in the intimate context of day-to-day consumption. It was always in the context of the global ecosystem, sustainability, and the like. It's kind of cool. I know people here have mentioned they are having interesting relationships and shifts when it comes to food, but I wanted to write this out to open the door to some additional thinking. I'm still a bit iffy on having a discussion on nutrition in this thread (see the first post for reasons why), but I hope this post helps. I tried to keep this as closely related to Strength & Fitness as I could, and I'm going to quote this post and delve into more ethereal concepts in my journal.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #1038 on: May 31, 2016, 08:46:58 PM »
Checking in:
  • Complete a 10K run
Still on C210K.  I'm doing one run a week instead of 3 because I do HIIT treadmill cardio and strength training during the week.  So not much to report.

• Complete a 5k in under 30 minutes
I need to do a timed 5K.  This month and next month aren't going to be good though because I have a few trips lined up.

• 1 set/5 pullup (Stretch: 1set/>10 pullups)
Kinda read through the pullup vs. chinup discussion.  If we go based on chinups, I've already met my stretch goal.  If we go based on pullups, then I just met the goal.  I'll go with the latter.

• Drop weight to 145lbs
Current weight: 148lbs.

Side notes.  I think it'd be cool to do handstand pushups, but I'm not adding them to the goals right now because I have literally no space to do them.  Second thing, I've been doing dips, but I'm not sure if I'm doing them right.  Should my shoulders be going up when I go down?

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1039 on: June 01, 2016, 04:37:17 AM »
Eric222
  • Bike > 200 miles/month
  • Minimized processed sugar. <= 1 cheat day/month
  • 3 sets/20 crunches (5 different types - 300 crunches)
  • Lose 10lbs of fat (STRETCH: 15lbs)

Month of May Progress:
Biking in May:  280 miles.  Crushed it.  I'm leaving the goal at 200, but I expect this month to not be all that unusual.
Despite parents' visiting:  Only 1 cheat day in May (I had some amazing caramel and sea salt ice cream at the end of a date).
Crunches:  Up to 3 sets of 20 normal crunches - with appropriate form now.  Much less flailing around as I get towards the end of the set.
Weight:  ~ 1 lb decrease on average.  Between ~198-200 lbs.  I attribute this to the redistribution of fat from my belly to muscles in my legs.  You can feel my abs now (they exist!), even if they are buried under my belly.  I had to buy a new belt - which seems like progress. 

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1040 on: June 01, 2016, 07:21:44 AM »
Jordan- that's excellent.

I love the shift to allow yourself to enjoy damn good food you've made for yourself.   A big thing on MFP that we talk about with folks is their relationship with food and kind of "realigning it" so that's a HUGE step- and bonus that you've actually realized it yourself!!!

#deliciousfoodforlifeandstilllookgoodistotallyathing

yeah I made that up.

For myself- quick May wrap up
-success in that I hit my pregoal weight from my bulk- 159.3 WINNING
- Not a success- I have one month to push a little harder to drop another 5 pounds- I'd like to be closer to 150-155 for my dress fitting- I'm annoyed at being constantly "160 something" I want some fucking shoulder caps damnit- and that will never happen at this body weight. <hurumph>
- Pretty pleased with workouts- feeling strong.
- Hip/SI joint was doing well up until this week- walking on job sites in heavy boots through sand I think is causing issues
- Food is going well in terms of spending/budgeting/eating
- dance is going well for the most part- but I'm getting ready to ramp down a little bit due to my upcoming wedding buisness.  Then ramp back up- hopefully long term goal is to take a Level 2 certification in Ca next July- so I'll begin prepping for that soon.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1041 on: June 02, 2016, 06:40:24 PM »
MetricJanuaryMayTrend DirectionDifference
Weight (lbs)213.4178.235.2
BMI30.625.55.1
Body Fat (%)25.916.99
Waist (Inches)42.2536.55.75
Hips (Inches)45396

Very impressive!
In a fairly short time too. 
Keep it up - they say that's the hardest part

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1042 on: June 02, 2016, 06:47:16 PM »
Toyed around with deadlifts today. Hit several easy singles with 500. Re-did my platform so that it's a little more level (sloped garages suck) and the strain is gone in my lats and triceps from keeping the bar from swinging out. Thrilled is too simple a word.

295 on the scale today. Been a while since I was under 300. Arms taped at 18.75" and quads are coming in at just under 30"

Little less fat, little more muscle, slowly getting stronger. I'll take it.

Granted I'm about to wreck my weight loss in 2 weeks on the honeymoon. I am eating everything. Not just a lot. I intend to cause food shortages.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1043 on: June 03, 2016, 07:32:47 AM »
Toyed around with deadlifts today. Hit several easy singles with 500. Re-did my platform so that it's a little more level (sloped garages suck) and the strain is gone in my lats and triceps from keeping the bar from swinging out. Thrilled is too simple a word.

295 on the scale today. Been a while since I was under 300. Arms taped at 18.75" and quads are coming in at just under 30"

Granted I'm about to wreck my weight loss in 2 weeks on the honeymoon. I am eating everything. Not just a lot. I intend to cause food shortages.

Ask yourself if the food is really that good. I'm still recovering from our trip to an all inclusive in Jamaica. Now, if I were to do it again I'd probably eat 2 things the whole trip--a lot more of those than I did--and a lot less of everything else. Except the beer and the rum.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1044 on: June 03, 2016, 09:56:53 AM »
Had an interesting 'workout' last night. My local running club does a summer program for kids at a park on Thursday evenings. Completely free races for kids 0-18 ranging from 25 yards to a mile. The littles (running the 25 and 50 yard 'dashes') get participation ribbons. The older kids compete weekly for season's end prizes (earn points on placement, most improved, etc). And everyone gets a Popsicle.

Last night my job was to run with the kids. With the younger ones there was a lot of stopping to sort out pile ups and putting shoes back on. For the older kids/longer races there was a lot of trying to keep up (some of those kids are way faster than me!) or hanging out with some stragglers with encouraging words (a mile is a lot longer than some of them realize). By the end of the summer they usually have more than 800 individual kids participate. It is a super cool program that encourages kids to be active and did I mention is is completely free for the kids?

I was much more tired after that than my normal runs even though I didn't get in the mileage I usually do, but it was a lot of fun!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:16:41 PM by hudsoncat »

mm1970

• Senior Mustachian
« Reply #1045 on: June 03, 2016, 10:27:17 AM »
Had an interesting 'workout' last night. My local running club does a summer program for kids at a park on Thursday evenings. Completely free races for kids 0-18 ranging from 25 yards to a mile. The little (running the 25 and 50 yard 'dashes') get participation ribbons. The older kids compete weekly for season's end prizes (earn points on placement, most improved, etc). And everyone gets a Popsicle.

Last night my job was to run with the kids. With the younger one there was a lot of stopping to sort out pile ups and putting shoes back on. For the older kids/longer races there was a lot of trying to keep up (some of those kids are way faster than me!) or hanging out with some stragglers with encouraging words (a mile is a lot longer than some of them realize). By the end of the summer they usually have more than 800 individual kids participate. It is a super cool program that encourages kids to be active and did I mention is is completely free for the kids?

I was much more tired after that than my normal runs even though I didn't get in the mileage I usually do, but it was a lot of fun!
I did my best to run my kids ragged this weekend.  We went to the beach with my hubby, 10 year old, his friend, and the 3 year old.  At one point we were playing tag in the water (about 2 inches of water). I discovered that I can outrun the 10 year old boys!!  For a bit anyway. 

jordanread

« Reply #1046 on: June 03, 2016, 12:18:25 PM »
Had an interesting 'workout' last night. My local running club does a summer program for kids at a park on Thursday evenings. Completely free races for kids 0-18 ranging from 25 yards to a mile. The littles (running the 25 and 50 yard 'dashes') get participation ribbons. The older kids compete weekly for season's end prizes (earn points on placement, most improved, etc). And everyone gets a Popsicle.

Last night my job was to run with the kids. With the younger ones there was a lot of stopping to sort out pile ups and putting shoes back on. For the older kids/longer races there was a lot of trying to keep up (some of those kids are way faster than me!) or hanging out with some stragglers with encouraging words (a mile is a lot longer than some of them realize). By the end of the summer they usually have more than 800 individual kids participate. It is a super cool program that encourages kids to be active and did I mention is is completely free for the kids?

That is awesome. Is there details somewhere online? I personally hate running, but the idea of a free communal health thing intrigues me. I live right by a park with an awesome loop around the lake, and plenty of workout equipment (rings, parallel bars, pull up bars, balance beams, a sit up thing) and was thinking about starting something like that. More for my own accountability, but if it helps other people, cool!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1047 on: June 03, 2016, 01:39:14 PM »

That is awesome. Is there details somewhere online? I personally hate running, but the idea of a free communal health thing intrigues me. I live right by a park with an awesome loop around the lake, and plenty of workout equipment (rings, parallel bars, pull up bars, balance beams, a sit up thing) and was thinking about starting something like that. More for my own accountability, but if it helps other people, cool!

Here is the website: http://coyotekids.ckrr.us/ They haven't updated it in a year, but the FAQ's give a little more information.

Here is the facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/CoyoteKidsKokomo/ With a lot of pictures of happy, running kids from last night!

Club Website: http://www.clubkokomoroadrunners.com/ I honestly can't remember if there is anything for Coyote Kids on the club website, though it tends to have up to date information at least. I can't check it from work, for some reason the site is blocked. At leas they haven't blocked this forum yet. :)

This is my first year helping with Coyote Kids (and my first year as a club member). I've been running club races for a couple years, but never joined because, honestly, I didn't want to spend the money. I did this year once I talked to a club member and realized what all my $20 per year family membership goes to help support. This program (it also has a LOT of support/sponsorship from local businesses as you can imagine). A free timed 5K and one mile races every Wednesday night. Low cost local races (most are under $15, several $10 or under). Not to mention a couple scholarships each year to local kids going off to college.  It's a pretty great group of people and a group doing things worthy of support.

I wasn't sure what to expect last night given how out of date the webpage is, but it's a well oiled machine that is so well known in the community that I'm not sure people even really use the webpage. Certainly plenty of kids and families made it last night! I should note, I don't even particularly like children (Seriously, my friends are very confused why I volunteered for this), but I actually had a lot of fun and enjoyed working with the kids.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1048 on: June 03, 2016, 01:52:39 PM »

You are a monster! My waist measurement is smaller than your thighs. :O Impressive deads!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1049 on: June 06, 2016, 06:06:51 AM »

Well, I went ahead and signed up for the Spartan during their Memorial day sale.

It will be much tougher than the Warrior Dash so I can't "fake" my way through it.

just under 3 months to train!!

http://www.spartan.com/en/race/detail/1146/overview

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!