Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402864 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #950 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »
Well, shit...Bakari has ALMOST convinced me to post some before/after pics too.

Another vote for before pics. How many until you give into peer pressure? I can make another thread with a poll if you want.

I'm actually quite happy if you don't. ;)

Just being facetious. I will do my best walking the line between friendly ribbing and extreme pressure without crossing it.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #951 on: May 12, 2016, 12:19:11 PM »
I'm massively jealous of your shortie shorts... not going to lie.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #952 on: May 12, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
Just an FYI...  For those concerned ed.  Heavy lifting does not make you bulky...  It makes you sexy. 😆

Same body..  Different jobs.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #953 on: May 13, 2016, 07:20:23 AM »
So- I'm officially pre-bulk weight.
Finally weigh in for the weight loss competition- 159.3

so- break down from February- I started my bulk in February- but that wasn't part of the comp obviously.
2.5.16- 172.3
2.19.16- 176.6
3.4.16- 181.5
3.18.16-172.7
4.1.16-168.9
4.15.16-167.6
4.29.16-167.3
5.13.16-159.3

Numbers are struggling a bit- All my lifts take longer- recovery is harder- but I'm still pulling the weights I'm supposed to- which are floating around 70-80% of my 1RPM.
Down side- I shifted to the new block of Sheiko- and it's a TON of lifting- the first cycle is all pretty straight up- Squat/Bench- accessories.

This block is something silly like Squat/Bench/Squat/Bench- accessories. So I'll be glad to get a few more calories back in my system and try to lose weight a little more gradually down to 150.

But anyway- that's my mid month up date- and post weight loss review challenge.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #954 on: May 13, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
I think I want to get back down to 160 judging by how I looked in pictures from 2004 but my real goal is to run obstacle course races. I did one back in 2013 that I really enjoyed even though I wasn't prepared. I'm signed up for two next month and want to get to where I can complete a Spartan Race

They are so fun! Doing the Warrior Dash in MD tomm. Have done tough mudder but no Spartan yet.

jordanread

« Reply #955 on: May 13, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »
Aeryn, I've got your goal crossed off (with prejudice) in the tracking post. Kicking ass! And yes, obstacle courses are a blast. Next year I'll probably do a few, like Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, (maybe) Spartan, 02X summit challenges, and the GoPro Mountain Run. There are plenty here.

Oh, and Bakari (and others interested in ANW style stuff) I just learned that there is both a Wolf Pack tour, and a generic Ninja Qualifier in Longmonth (MMM HQ).

I don't know how useful the site is since I just checked my state, but Mud Run Guide seems like a nice collection of events for the year. If it works for others, I'll add it to the resource post.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #956 on: May 13, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »
Love it @jorocka!

JordanRead, your acroyoga looks fun!

And everyone else is totally killing it too!

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: May 13, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
..............but please no more selfies. Over-sharing

jordanread

« Reply #958 on: May 13, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »

Not here. It's sharing exactly in line with some goals.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #959 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »

I'm okay with this...but not until Spartana posts hers. :D

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #960 on: May 13, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

Ah yea, and some folks THINK they are looking good, but............... Mod Note: Forum Rule #1
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:01:57 PM by swick »

jordanread

« Reply #961 on: May 13, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »

Ah yea, and some folks THINK they are looking good, but...............

If by that, you mean that some folks think they are progressing, you'd be correct. Don't know that it was anything but that. This is a strength and fitness challenge, not a beauty contest.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #962 on: May 14, 2016, 01:57:21 AM »

And some folks THINK they are giving helpful advice but are just coming off as jerks.

FWIW I think everyone looks awesome. Can't wait until I can post suck kick ass pictures

Beat me to it.

Today I found my HRM (missing since March) and reset my 12 months of low HR training plan.

Seems I need accountability with something in writing. Seems I've been a bit slack and lost some fitness as evidenced by my HRM when I'm working at the same pace as I used to. Looks like there's some work to do.

I knew this, but seeing it in black and white hits it home a bit more. 24 weeks to Noosa and at this stage I'll be lucky if I beat my shit time from last year.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #963 on: May 14, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »

Was this targeted? Are you intending to make everyone who has shared progress pictures feel like crap? Because that's what you're doing.

I don't know if you think you're being funny, but it sure as hell isn't coming off that way. It took many pages of building rapport with this group of people for me to feel comfortable sharing a photo like I did, and now you're making me want to take down all my damn posts on here.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #964 on: May 14, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
Visiting my parents out of state right now. Swam several laps in their pool. Man oh man, there is nothing like doing an exercise you haven't done in a year or two to make you feel like you've made exactly zero progress in fitness! I did some freestyle and some breast stroke, and had to take breaks several times to catch my breath. All told, I probably only swam for 15 minutes! Funny how different it is from running or hiking or weight lifting or anything else I do.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #965 on: May 14, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »
Visiting my parents out of state right now. Swam several laps in their pool. Man oh man, there is nothing like doing an exercise you haven't done in a year or two to make you feel like you've made exactly zero progress in fitness! I did some freestyle and some breast stroke, and had to take breaks several times to catch my breath. All told, I probably only swam for 15 minutes! Funny how different it is from running or hiking or weight lifting or anything else I do.

Had to run 3/4 of a mile yesterday to catch a train after a work meeting. This was in SF during rush hour so running was probably at least as fast as trying to call an uber. Got there as they were yelling "all aboard," which saved me an hour of waiting. Also felt like I was going to die as I plopped down in my seat, lol.

Back when I was doing Crossfit, that would have been no problem whatsoever, but I will say shifting my focus entirely to strength gains has definitely affected my conditioning!

jordanread

« Reply #966 on: May 14, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »

Was this targeted?

It probably was targeted, but not malicious. Granted I can't be sure since it's just words and stuff, but I'd suggest the following.

The target was me, since I'm the only one who actually posted what could be confirmed a selfie. Second, while I know for a fact that I am ruggedly handsome, I also know that rugged handsomeness is an acquired taste that not everyone has acquired. I don't take it personally, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one where looking good, looking strong, and looking capable is even remotely in question. The rest of you are so comfortably in that zone, if it seemed directed at you, it's almost guaranteed to be a mistake. This is a safe, awesome, and fun place. Keep on being awesome everyone. Except for JoRocka, to whom I'll say continue being fabulous.

Today I found my HRM (missing since March) and reset my 12 months of low HR training plan.

Seems I need accountability with something in writing. Seems I've been a bit slack and lost some fitness as evidenced by my HRM when I'm working at the same pace as I used to. Looks like there's some work to do.

I knew this, but seeing it in black and white hits it home a bit more. 24 weeks to Noosa and at this stage I'll be lucky if I beat my shit time from last year.

Do you want to get a goal on the tracking post related to heart rate? I'm not 100% certain how that would be measured, besides resting heart rate, but I'm sure we can get something 'in writing' for you if you wanted. And a lot can happen in 24 weeks. I'm sure you are capable of getting to the point where you'll stomp last year's time into the ground!!

I have to complete cooking breakfast, but I have a story along the lines of conditioning to share that happened yesterday. I just have to go finish this omelette.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #967 on: May 14, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Very diplomatic response to Northwestie there JR. My first interpretation of his comment was that it was an attempt (albeit a poorly executed one) to be funny. If indeed it was meant in a mean spirited way...well, no attempt at diplomacy from me...I'd just as soon offer up a GTFO.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #968 on: May 14, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
J_S, I have a kayak question if you don't mind.

I live at the junction of two rivers (well, within walking distance anyway) and I've been seriously pondering buying a sit-on kayak for paddling. My primary reason for this choice is because they are a bucketload cheaper (can get one 2nd hand for a couple of hundred dollars) than the ones you sit in.

I used to paddle a canoe when I was a kid, but it was a massive big Canadian thing that wouldn't tip if you stood up and danced. Is a sit-on going to work for me, given I haven't paddled in about 25 years? Or would I be better waiting until I can get the funds stashed for a "proper" kayak?

And JR, I'm not sure how you'd measure it either. My training involves sticking to a lower HR and watching my pace get better. It was actually working until I stopped (funny that...). I guess make it about pace rather than HR? How about something like run 5k in less than 35 minutes (I know...).

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #969 on: May 14, 2016, 08:21:21 PM »

Was this targeted?

I guessed, given that mine were the last pictures before the comment, that it was targeted to me.

Given the nature of my clothing, I assumed that the first comment ("over-sharing") was the real crux of the issue.
Some people just aren't comfortable with human skin or bodies or anything with even the vaguest, most indirect hint of sexuality.

The second comment I took as an attempt at deflection, a justification / rationalization for the first comment meant to avoid giving the impression of being uncomfortable.  So I didn't take too much offence.

Of course, all of that could be way off!

Just in case it isn't though, a warning:
you may want to avert your eyes while quickly scrolling past the end of this post, cause I'm about to upload the photo I promised I would in my last post!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #970 on: May 14, 2016, 08:27:35 PM »
Now I'm hoping your boombox is blasting Rhinestone Cowboy!

Everyone else, please keep posting photos whenever you want.  Others are free not to read this thread, and any negative comments say more about them than about you. 

Freeme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #971 on: May 15, 2016, 08:24:13 AM »
I have not posted since setting my goals. I've made significant changes to my diet. Eliminated gluten, dairy, sugar, about 95% made from scratch whole foods. Lots of veggies and organic meats. Added some healthy probiotic foods. My goal was to get off my medications and get healthier. I feel better and have reduced my Thyroid medicine by 1/3 after 7 weeks of diet change. I have been on this Px for 15 years with a steady incline of doses. My Dr. said she had never seen lab results change so quickly. I asked her if she felt I could heal my low thyroid and diabetes. She thought it was not something that happens and I am positive I can. She was hesitant to change my medications as dramatically as it needed. I was getting pretty serious symptoms of too high of a dose. Went to a Functional Medical team of Drs. And we are on the right track now to regaining my health. I am very happy with the results have lost about 10 lbs but really feel my weight will come off as my health improves. Also added a nightly relaxation and stretching practice and now love that time and crave it. Funny part is one day I just said that is enough and I'm changing my lifestyle, once I did that the rest has been easy. Most of my change are in the areas of diet and stress response I'm about to add to that increasing movement as my job is sedatary. that's my update.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #972 on: May 15, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »

Was this targeted?

I guessed, given that mine were the last pictures before the comment, that it was targeted to me.

Given the nature of my clothing, I assumed that the first comment ("over-sharing") was the real crux of the issue.
Some people just aren't comfortable with human skin or bodies or anything with even the vaguest, most indirect hint of sexuality.

The second comment I took as an attempt at deflection, a justification / rationalization for the first comment meant to avoid giving the impression of being uncomfortable.  So I didn't take too much offence.

Of course, all of that could be way off!

Just in case it isn't though, a warning:
you may want to avert your eyes while quickly scrolling past the end of this post, cause I'm about to upload the photo I promised I would in my last post!

OMG! Yessss! I love it Bakari!

And see that was the problem with the over share comment, I too felt targeted since I posted a pic of myself in a bikini. Oh well, not everyone is comfortable being fabulous! ;)

jordanread

« Reply #973 on: May 15, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »

I still can't decide between the voice of a proper british guy with a monocle, or a southern belle. I love the idea of this going through Bakari's head though:

"Oh my. Someone said I over shared. I can't understand why they would have said...Oh drats!! I forgot my hat. I need to rectify this situation immediately!"

Also, I don't know if this is the first time you've done Bay to Breakers since you've been with ILB, but I would really like to know if you two coordinate matching clothes, because that would be amazing!

Plus we need to keep posting photos as Im still waiting on Jordan Read's promised bejeweled g-string photo - although Bakaris us pretty darn awesome ;-).

Hey, don't put your lack of photos on me. That was never part of the agreement . I said I'd post photos like that when I get back to NOLA, which may or may not be this year, but I will do it. Now that a bar is actually set on that style of photos, I've got more work to do. :)

As far as the comment from Northwestie goes, it appears that a Mod though it was a bit too close to a personal attack and addressed it, so we'll leave it at that. This is a safe place, for everyone, including Northwestie. I'm going to operate from the assumption that it was a joke in poor taste, or some other misunderstanding, and not anything malicious, and treat it as such moving forward. Although now I want a shot of this 60 year old rocking a bike up a hill, or doing jump splits (whatever those are), or hanging out on a climbing wall.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #974 on: May 15, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
I recently started doing a local 'fitness boot camp" which is roughly $125 for four weeks of four nights a week of an hour of outdoor workouts.  I got tested at the end of the first week a month ago, and when I was re-tested last Thursday, I improved my length of plank, number of sit ups, push ups, burpees and leapfrogs in a minute and slightly cut my time for a mile run. It's felt good to have consistent exercise and have others to work out with / someone to tell me waht to do. I feel like it's $$ well spent. I haven't weighed myself in a while, but I feel like I've probably gained as I haven't been making as much of an effort with my diet.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #975 on: May 15, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »
I don't know if this is the first time you've done Bay to Breakers since you've been with ILB,
Yes
but I would really like to know if you two coordinate matching clothes, because that would be amazing!
Also yes, (see below)

But for basically the entire 7.2 miles other than that picture, she was the one behind the camera.

A bunch of pics from today are here: https://goo.gl/photos/RmVy24qYdJDa19eh7 (note: two naked people appear among the pictures)
(note that all of the people posing with me are people who asked me to take a picture with them, and ILB took one while that person's friend took theirs)

And a few select moments of video are stitched together here: https://youtu.be/luC0mK-6UEk

On another note:

I haven't been mentioning it throughout, but every picture I've seen so far has been great!  Y'all are one sexy bunch of frugal forum posters.
Also, the numbers that some people post, omg!  All the weights lifted, miles run, and various other things, I'd be hard pressed to do most of them!  Y'all are impressive and motivating - this is the only thread I've really participated in here for about the past two years.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:10:57 AM by Bakari »

jordanread

« Reply #976 on: May 16, 2016, 03:12:24 AM »
Oh man, you weren't kidding when you said 'I go as a stripper so that way wherever I am is a mobile party'. You definitely look pretty beat at the end, but it looks like you both had a blast.

Be forewarned though, some of those photos are most definitely NSFW. :-)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #977 on: May 16, 2016, 08:02:52 AM »

Ah yea, and some folks THINK they are looking good, but............... Mod Note: Forum Rule #1

Forum rule number one appears to be don't be a jerk.... not don't post selfies.

I don't get it- it's not funny. even if it is a joke. It's rude.
Jordan was super diplomatic- but I'm flat out offended.  I don't get it. I know I'm "new" to the group- but wtf?!?!?!
That includes, but is not limited to:
1. Don't be a jerk.
2. Attack an argument, not a person.
3. Your posts must not break any laws.
4. Be respectful of the site and other members.
5. No spam.
6. Use good taste.  (See example below, 5/11/15.)

Also. Bakari- you're my hero this weekend. Seriously. that's awesome.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #978 on: May 16, 2016, 09:05:20 AM »
Okay.  I was really confused at what was going on.i thought they were saying posting selfies was a jerk/mod rule I was like. Dafuk! 

Thank you very much for clearing it up!

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #979 on: May 16, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »
Okay, now that I've found this thread and made some tangible progress that I'd like to keep going, can I join?

Goals:
1.  Bike > 200 miles/month, no matter the weather.
2.  Minimize processed sugar.  This means no candy (one exception per month).
3.  Get from 2x20 regular crunches to my old routine of five types of crunches with 3x20 sets of each. 
4.  Continue to lose weight.  Weight in Oct 2015: 220 lbs.  Current weight:  200 lbs.  Goal weight:  190 lbs.  Stretch goal weight:  185 lbs. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #980 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:45 AM »
J_S, I have a kayak question if you don't mind.

I live at the junction of two rivers (well, within walking distance anyway) and I've been seriously pondering buying a sit-on kayak for paddling. My primary reason for this choice is because they are a bucketload cheaper (can get one 2nd hand for a couple of hundred dollars) than the ones you sit in.

I used to paddle a canoe when I was a kid, but it was a massive big Canadian thing that wouldn't tip if you stood up and danced. Is a sit-on going to work for me, given I haven't paddled in about 25 years? Or would I be better waiting until I can get the funds stashed for a "proper" kayak?

I think a sit-on-top would be just fine. I am of the mind that yes, if you are interested in getting into long-distance paddling, an enclosed cockpit (I assume this is what you mean by "proper"?) is the way to go. But for having fun on a river...the cheaper option available to you makes sense. Just get out on the water anyway you can...and let the kayaking-paddle stroke start to work it's magic on your upper torso!

If you want to talk more about paddling - shoot me a PM or find me in my Journal. :)

jordanread

« Reply #981 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
Okay.  I was really confused at what was going on.i thought they were saying posting selfies was a jerk/mod rule I was like. Dafuk! 

Thank you very much for clearing it up!

Oh, you are on tapatalk, which for some reason does not show strikethroughs or colors (Mod Note is usually red, and the offending text is crossed out). I can understand the confusion. However, and I think it's because shiny stuff makes me think fabulous, but you may have some competition from Bakari.

Okay, now that I've found this thread and made some tangible progress that I'd like to keep going, can I join?

Glad to have you here Eric!! I've got you added to the tracking post. Is that seriously 300 crunches?

For those of you who don't know, Eric is a damn rockstar who has completely switched up his life over this past year(ish). He's rocking the biking, parenting, and other awesomeness.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #982 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:56 AM »
I saw it originally on desktop but haven't been here long enough to grab the nuances of a mod. Still finding my feet in the community. But it definitely didn't help I do go back and forth via tapatalk and my screen.  Definitely had me confused.

Bakari kicked my ass in the fabulous department this weekend I stayed home and got drunk! (I mean I went to dance class and worked out- but other wise. Just Tequila!)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #983 on: May 16, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
Hit my mileage goals for the week running. Added in a swim and a body weight strength session. My niece visited for the weekend and we took her to the pool one day. I think the two hours we spent just playing in the pool with her hanging on my back and chasing her through the water was a harder workout than some of my actual swim sessions.

I'll go on record saying I enjoy the photos. You all look fabulous.

Bakari- I have to ask though, how did your feet feel after 7 miles in cowboy boots? I must admit I winced a little seeing those... my feet are a little sore just thinking about wearing something like that for a race.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #984 on: May 16, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
Bakari, congratulations. You have won out for my "favorite MMMer" slot of this week. That is some boombox DEDICATION my friend. Sparkly, fabulous dedication.

ETA: I was reflecting on why your adventure delighted me so much. I think it's because of the joy and laughter of everyone in the pictures. You brought levity to exercise, and gave a much needed break to people pushing themselves for betterment. I like that. So thank you! You're doing a sparkly job of bringing inspiration to the world.

jordanread

« Reply #985 on: May 16, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
Bakari, bringing joy to the world one sparkly hat and bowtie at a time.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: May 16, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
Bakari- you're my hero this weekend. Seriously. that's awesome.

I felt the same way from your last set of pictures, and the accompanying comment

Just an FYI...  For those concerned ed.  Heavy lifting does not make you bulky...  It makes you sexy.

Reminded me of my essay on women, physical strength, and feminism from a fer years back. You'd make another excellent example.

Oh, and also the female engineer who could pass for a fitness model... not what I think most people envision when they think of a woman with a nerdy, "manly" job!

Bakari kicked my ass in the fabulous department this weekend I stayed home and got drunk!

Only one day a year though.  I get the impression that fabulous is just a way of life for you!

Bakari- I have to ask though, how did your feet feel after 7 miles in cowboy boots? I must admit I winced a little seeing those... my feet are a little sore just thinking about wearing something like that for a race.

The toes were pretty bad immediately after, but my knee had me hobbling around the rest of the day and I still can't raise my arms above shoulder level without pain today.  Totally worth it.

Bakari, congratulations. You have won out for my "favorite MMMer" slot of this week. That is some boombox DEDICATION my friend. Sparkly, fabulous dedication.

ETA: I was reflecting on why your adventure delighted me so much. I think it's because of the joy and laughter of everyone in the pictures. You brought levity to exercise, and gave a much needed break to people pushing themselves for betterment. I like that. So thank you! You're doing a sparkly job of bringing inspiration to the world.

I'm not sure I could do a 135lb front squat without falling over.  Your ripply back muscles belong right there with Jo and Yogi showing that strength can come in a sexy feminine package!!

ETA =? Estimated Time of Arrival? 
Anyway, yeah, a lot of the fun for me is how much it makes everyone around me happy.

ETA: ahh! got it.  Quite brilliant actually, if you know what it means.  And now I do!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:20:21 PM by Bakari »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #987 on: May 16, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »
Sorry, ETA= edited to add. I feel bad if I go back and edit something, the edit tag is there, and people don't know what I changed. Personality quirk? Probably.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #988 on: May 16, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
Dear everyone, especially but not at all limited to Bakari and JoRocka: you guys kick so much ass.

<3

Thank you for keeping this thread awesome.

I went to NYC this past weekend and only worked out beyond walking once (but got to do it at a fancy gym for free thanks to classpass!). But we averaged 8 miles a day of walking, so I consider that enough of a workout.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #989 on: May 16, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »
[

Glad to have you here Eric!! I've got you added to the tracking post. Is that seriously 300 crunches?

For those of you who don't know, Eric is a damn rockstar who has completely switched up his life over this past year(ish). He's rocking the biking, parenting, and other awesomeness.
Awww, shucks. :)  Yes, that is seriously 300 crunches.  I have these memories of what high school Eric was capable of...so I'll reach for that!

jordanread

« Reply #990 on: May 16, 2016, 03:35:37 PM »
Aeryn, I've got your goal crossed off (with prejudice) in the tracking post. Kicking ass! And yes, obstacle courses are a blast. Next year I'll probably do a few, like Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, (maybe) Spartan, 02X summit challenges, and the GoPro Mountain Run. There are plenty here.

Oh, and Bakari (and others interested in ANW style stuff) I just learned that there is both a Wolf Pack tour, and a generic Ninja Qualifier in Longmonth (MMM HQ).

I don't know how useful the site is since I just checked my state, but Mud Run Guide seems like a nice collection of events for the year. If it works for others, I'll add it to the resource post.
Once I get into the OCR's more I might head out your direction to do a few since Colorado has so many Nebraska doesn't. Spartan was just out there last weekend

I checked out the Mud Run Guide and it has about half the ones on my list (and one isn't technically a mud run, it's this) and a few I didn't know about

I don't think I'm doing any of them until next year, but definitely hit me up if you are in this area/state. I'll throw it on the resource post soon.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #991 on: May 16, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
Progress so far (one week in):

-negative chinups done 5/7 days
-2/3 days of doing beginner pullup exercises
-3/3 runs completed, two at target pace and one significantly slower (blergh)

So, mixed.  In my defense, I spent the weekend feeling somewhat under the weather so took "off" from most exercise (except for the lousy run).

Having now posted that, I'm going to go put up the pullup bar and get going on today's negatives!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #992 on: May 17, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
Bakari- you're my hero this weekend. Seriously. that's awesome.

I felt the same way from your last set of pictures, and the accompanying comment

Just an FYI...  For those concerned ed.  Heavy lifting does not make you bulky...  It makes you sexy.

Reminded me of my essay on women, physical strength, and feminism from a fer years back. You'd make another excellent example.

Oh, and also the female engineer who could pass for a fitness model... not what I think most people envision when they think of a woman with a nerdy, "manly" job!

Bakari kicked my ass in the fabulous department this weekend I stayed home and got drunk!

Only one day a year though.  I get the impression that fabulous is just a way of life for you!

The toes were pretty bad immediately after, but my knee had me hobbling around the rest of the day and I still can't raise my arms above shoulder level without pain today.  Totally worth it.

I'm not sure I could do a 135lb front squat without falling over.  Your ripply back muscles belong right there with Jo and Yogi showing that strength can come in a sexy feminine package!!

ETA =? Estimated Time of Arrival? 
Anyway, yeah, a lot of the fun for me is how much it makes everyone around me happy.

ETA: ahh! got it.  Quite brilliant actually, if you know what it means.  And now I do!!

#nerdsforlife- I'm also an engineer. ;)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #993 on: May 18, 2016, 05:51:55 AM »
I down about 30 lbs this year as of these photos a few weeks ago. I've actually lost a few more since. I find 1.5 lbs a week to be about a perfect amount of weight loss for me. It's funny that even though I've lost the weight, I get comments at the gym randomly that I'm looking "really big" even though I'm technically quite a bit smaller lol.

I've been trying to focus more on strength for the first time probably since high school. Before I had just been doing high volume bodybuilding type workouts.

My current bests (haven't maxed out) are 275x9 on bench, 315x8 on squat, and 415x10 on deadlift. I've always hated deadlift and thus never done it. Just accessory lifts like rack pulls and such. A few weeks ago my first time doing deadlift in several years I did 405x10, so I think I have a lot of room to grow there.

I'd like to get to a 2x body weight bench press, 2.5x squat, and 3x deadlift. I was 188 lbs this morning and can't see myself losing a whole lot more weight. Maybe to 180-185 max. We'll see.

[attachment deleted by admin]

jordanread

« Reply #994 on: May 18, 2016, 06:05:07 AM »
Kicking ass U2BT!! One day, I might have abs.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #995 on: May 18, 2016, 09:55:44 AM »
I down about 30 lbs this year as of these photos a few weeks ago. I've actually lost a few more since. I find 1.5 lbs a week to be about a perfect amount of weight loss for me. It's funny that even though I've lost the weight, I get comments at the gym randomly that I'm looking "really big" even though I'm technically quite a bit smaller lol.

I've been trying to focus more on strength for the first time probably since high school. Before I had just been doing high volume bodybuilding type workouts.

My current bests (haven't maxed out) are 275x9 on bench, 315x8 on squat, and 415x10 on deadlift. I've always hated deadlift and thus never done it. Just accessory lifts like rack pulls and such. A few weeks ago my first time doing deadlift in several years I did 405x10, so I think I have a lot of room to grow there.

I'd like to get to a 2x body weight bench press, 2.5x squat, and 3x deadlift. I was 188 lbs this morning and can't see myself losing a whole lot more weight. Maybe to 180-185 max. We'll see.

Nice work! I bet the accessory stuff has really helped your deadlift, rack pulls are great. You could easily (and probably already have) hit the 300/400/500  strength standard for bench/squat/dead if you're repping where you currently are. And you're looking super lean! Looks like you have good genetics for vascularity too.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #996 on: May 18, 2016, 10:03:10 AM »
... Looks like you have good genetics for vascularity too.

yes- that.   of course that.

I selfish need more pictures to come to the same conclusion.

#shameless

jordanread

« Reply #997 on: May 18, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »

When you say high volume bodybuilding and not strength, do you mean exercises that were focused on leanness and looks? It sounds like that's what you mean, I just want to be sure.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #998 on: May 18, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
Yogi I'd imagine I'm there. Since I am just starting now to go heavier and less reps (4-8) my strength falls off quicker than what 1 rep max calculators tell me. My workout is very interesting I am doing a 2 day split but have 6 different workouts. Working out 3-4 days a week, so I hit everything once to twice a week. Every time I repeat a workout, I aim to do the same weight and increase it by a rep, or go up 5 lbs and do the same reps. I've been doing this a few months and my wife and I have both been able to beat our previous weight or rep every workout.

As I have done in the past, and strongly believe in for my training, body type, etc, I have gone back in forth between high volume (I.e 16 sets of chest on chest day, 24 sets legs on leg day, etc) vs very few sets at extreme intensity, which is what I'm doing now.

So right now I do one exercise per muscle group in each workout, and hit 5 muscle groups a workout (2 day split).  So say on flat bench I'll warm up with 135x15, 205x8, 265x4. Then is my actual all out to 100% failure set. So my last set will be 275 til failure (9-10 reps) then I will rest for 15 seconds, and do 275 til failure (3-4 reps) then immediately strip the bar down to 185 til failure (around 12-15 reps) then I do the same for shoulders, triceps, etc. it's beyond a soul sucking experience but it's great. The variations I've done in the past have been great as well, but this is my first time tracking weights and trying to really increase strength. Here's my current split.

Day 1
Biceps - Seated Alternating DB Curls
Forearms - Reverse Curls
Calves - Seated Calf Raises
Quads - Squats (4-8 reps)
Hamstrings - Standing Leg Curls

Day 2
Chest - Flat Barbell Bench (4-8 reps)
Shoulders - Upright Rows - Smith Machine
Triceps - Overhead Tricep push with DB
Back Width - Close Grip Cable Pull Down
Back Thickness - Deadlift (8-12 reps)

Day 3
Biceps - EZ Bar Cable Curls
Forearms - Cable Hammer Curls with Rope
Calves - Standing Calf Raises
Quads - Leg Press
Hamstrings - Stiff Leg Deadlift

Day 4
Chest - Flat Barbell Bench Press (8-12 reps)
Shoulders - Smith Military Press
Triceps - Machine Dips
Back Width - Hammer Strength Underhand Pulldown
Back Thickness - Close Grip T-Bar Rows

Day 5
Biceps - Straight Bar Curls (Free Weight)
Forearms - Barbell Wrist Curls
Calves - Leg Press Calf Raises
Quads - Squats (8-12 reps)
Hamstrings - Lying Leg Curls

Day 6
Chest - Decline Barbell Bench Press
Shoulders - Military Smith Press DB's
Triceps - Lying Tricep Extensions
Back Width - Wide Grip Pull Down
Back Thickness - Deadlift (4-8 reps)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #999 on: May 18, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »
Yogi I'd imagine I'm there. Since I am just starting now to go heavier and less reps (4-8) my strength falls off quicker than what 1 rep max calculators tell me.

I workout at a powerlifting gym and have seen this a few times whenever bodybuilders join us until they adjust to the training. They are just two different disciplines. Bodybuilders can always smoke the pure powerlifters in high rep work, but just the opposite is usually apparent when maxing out.

I am not at all an expert in programming. By far my least mustachian expense is that I pay a trainer to write mine for me, but I will say I have made massive progress in strength over the past year due to that programming and I never work to failure unless I'm maxing out.

Typically, each week involves one heavy and one speed/rep day on Bench/Squat, with speed deadlifts thrown into the speed squat day (these consist of 10-12 sets of 1-2 reps for each at <75% 1RM, with a focus on form, speed, and explosiveness, plus accessories). Now that I can deadlift 500+ lbs, I only pull heavy once/month (substituting for a heavy squat day), which definitely helps with recovery and so far has not seemed to have slowed my strength gains.

Bench is for higher volume simply because recovery is faster. A typical heavy day, for example, would be 3x3 progressing from 75% to 95% during a cycle, and then 3x5 close grip @ 60-80% and 3x8 legs up wide grip @ 50-70%, and accessories. To reiterate, none of this is my programming, but +200 deadlift, +150 squat and +100 bench in a little over a year feels like pretty good progress to me! :)

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!