Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402873 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #900 on: May 03, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
Ahhhh I got so close. I did PART of a pullup by myself! And then I kinda did one, but there was some "air biking" that happened with my legs to get past the last sticking point. I'm getting there! I think it's extra hard because we don't have a fixed bar- it rolls (basically a bar threaded through loops). So who knows, maybe next time I'm at the park I'll try on those fixed bars and see! I can hope.

Got close to my DL PR (165lbs) but then failed x2 at my PR (175). We went and bought a stall mat for the sake of our unhappy neighbors ($56), but they're not home right now- for once- so I'm unsure yet if it makes a big difference or not? Either way, will be better for the lifespan of our bumper plates. Although if our grumpy neighbor has her way and we never lift again, then I suppose that extends their lifespan too... mutter mutter.

ETA: Jordan's point about varying definitions made me think I should clarify. I can currently do chin ups, which I equate to overhand grip, narrower drip relatively. I want to be able to do pullups, which I equate to overhand grip, wider spread.

Ah, here we go:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:24:16 PM by Bracken_Joy »

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #901 on: May 03, 2016, 07:07:02 PM »
Apologies for slacking on participation (I have been reading all posts though).  To update I've had 2 setbacks this year which I'm learning from.  1st was a last minute trip to Australia for work which was beautiful, but the travel back to the states was painful--all in all I didn't strength train for ~3 weeks (but I did walk ~6-8 miles a day while there so that was a plus).  I certainly noticed the need to start with lower progressions or less weight depending on the exercise.

"Disc golf stupidity" caused my present setback after straining shoulder I'm holding off on any upper body work for a while.  Disc golf is fun, but I can't throw anywhere near as far as rest of the group which had more experience so I attempted to keep up by just throwing harder...which was a bad idea.  Turns out it's a lot more about technique than actual force.  Anyways if you try it start slow and get technique down without using much (potentially harmful) power.

Last year when I had some cubital tunnel issues in my wrist I used that as an excuse to skip ALL excersizes except walking and it really got me down.  This time I'm keeping up same 3x a week strength training going by doing various BW squats, back bridges, some non-shoulder harming yoga etc. 

As for goals I'd say:
3x/week strength training when not travelling ---on track (cutting some slack for travel sickness)
5-8 miles/day hiked when travelling---------------check so far
3x/week Cycle/walk/yoga/Qigong------------------~2x a week so need to pick up here
<=15% Body Fat------------------------------------may remove this goal, really just starting and with some injuries etc maybe hard to meet.  I'm thinking may just focus on strength training for 2-3 years and then worry about attempting this.
Bike to work >= 2x/week---------------------------I suck at this.  Easy in the morning, but after 8-9 hours of work still find it hard to bike home (and then strength train).  I'm either going to push this one off too OR more appealing creatively use PTO 2x a week during the summer (I get 64 hours replenished in June so 32 6 hour days could make this much easier/be a way to get used to it).
Gain 10lbs of muscle--------------------------------maybe too specific?  I'm mainly focused on improving/don't really care about Xlbs a year as long as keep improving.
Complete 5K-----------------------------------------Forgot I put this one down.  I do want to do it sometime in 2-3 years, but haven't been focused on it this year.

As for the Chin-up vs. Pull-up discussion, I've made Chin-ups one of my primary upper body movements and had worked way up to 5 sets of 5 chin-ups (planned to go to 5 x 8 then add weight).  Pull-ups though I still haven't done 1 without assistance...maybe I could do 1, but 1 isn't much of a workout. 

Thanks everyone for the updates and motivation--it's helped me to keep on going even when I stupidly injure myself (which I plan to avoid like the plague and if/when trying anything new starting out ridiculously slowly to not get hurt).

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #902 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
My goal is 1200 Lb Club. 500 Deadlift, 405 Squat, 315 Bench press. I'd also like to get 200 lb Overhead press. Current maxes, 415 deadlift, 350 squat, 275 bench press, 185 overhead press.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #903 on: May 04, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
Jon Snow, you make me want to go kayaking.  Seems like an all in one fun exercise and you are soaking up some rays while you are at it.

Alleykat, it really is a wonderful sport/hobby/exercise. Not sure if you have checked it out before, but my Journal is a somewhat thinly-disguised love-letter to sea kayaking.

I talked about the fitness aspect of yesterday's paddle here...and when I get time I'm going to post some other details in my Journal...with some pictures perhaps. The really great thing about kayaking where I am located is that there is so much eyeball-melting beauty around you that you can forget sometimes what a tremendous workout you are getting.

Hi Jon,  wow, your area sounds beautiful.  I haven't checked out your journal, but I will. Thanks for sharing.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #904 on: May 04, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »
A small victory today - my goal for the year was to lose 16lbs of fat.
As of this morning I am down 12 pounds exactly from where I started.
The last 4 will be much more difficult - but I'm on track.

Truth is I think I've lost more fat than that - but unfortunately I haven't been taking body fat measurements so I can't be certain the amount.  But, I have definitely increased my strength quite a bit, so I'm sure I've put on some muscle since the start of the year.  Regardless - the numbers aren't my focus as much as the overall feeling of well being.

Its amazing how much health is similar to our savings strategies here.
A little bit every day... little changes... small additions...but consistent.
After a few weeks, a few months, it starts to snowball.  It gets easier.

Believe it or not, it actually gets fun.

Keep it up everybody.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #905 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »
Vanity day at the gym today. High volume speed work with the duffalo bar on bench and upper body accessories. Btw, duffalo bars are awesome. I highly recommend one to improve your bench at the bottom (they are curved so the range of motion is greater). They also feel really good on my elbows and shoulders to me compared to the straight bar. I think something about the way you have to grip it relieves joint stress to some degree. My understanding is that duffalos are somewhat hard to find though, and quite expensive. But if you have access to one, try it out!

I hadn't heard it called that before, they are known as Buffalo bars, it appears the "Duffalo" is coined after Chris Duffin though and is the same thing.

Interesting. That's what everyone calls it at my gym so I hadn't put much thought into it. Definitely a cool bar, though, and fun to use.

Gotta admit I don't much pay attention to that community. I just like picking up heavy things :)

jordanread

« Reply #906 on: May 04, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
My goal is 1200 Lb Club. 500 Deadlift, 405 Squat, 315 Bench press. I'd also like to get 200 lb Overhead press. Current maxes, 415 deadlift, 350 squat, 275 bench press, 185 overhead press.

I've got you added to the tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet!!

2300, sorry that happened to you. It's interesting that something so seemingly low impact can cause some injuries if one doesn't treat it with respect. Glad you are on the mend.

Awesome progress MrDelane! Yes, there are a lot of similarities between fitness and savings. It's all about building the foundation that results in, respectively, a stache and a functional body. They move so closely together, creating not just the ability to retire, but the ability to enjoy retirement.

jordanread

« Reply #907 on: May 04, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »
While I'm still not going to add goals regarding acroyoga, I did want to share a bit about my journey so far. So even though we've been at it for only a couple of days, we have made some fun progress. In part it's probably due to my ridiculously strong lower body (no idea why...biking maybe?), but the basics of the poses are totally possible. So while we don't look as good as the pictures, we've been able to successfully hold all of the following poses (source 1, source 2):

Fun process. We started doing the following for warmups:

1 set/9 Sun Salutations - slowing down every 3
1 set/3 Miscellaneous yoga pose - holds (00:30, 00:45, 001:00) - We did dolphin plank, and then a regular plank. She comes up with the ideas, so no clue what's next.

It's a good warmup, and quite fun. I've also been recording all of our sessions on the GoPro, so we can examine our form. I hope she gets comfortable enough with our skills that I can create a compilation video to share. She's less willing than I am to just put it all out there. We're thinking about going through a bunch of poses, and then work on transitions, and then create a routine. When we have our routine ironed out, I hope to convince her to do it at the park, and at least get that posted. To those of you who have a partner, I highly suggest trying it. It's more fun than a movie night, and it's good for you. Jon & Lady Snow, Bracken Joy and DH, and EngineerYogi and DH are a few people who come to mind. It really is fun!!

Oh, and I know this is kind of a funny thing to ask after saying that my GF won't let me post a video, but I really want to get a collection of video clips of progress to combine into something fun at the end of the year. Before/after photos will also be added (with permission), and I think it would be cool. I do know how to block out faces and download videos off of YouTube, and I'll ensure your anonymity if you so desire. Feel free to PM me if you want to contribute. Thanks!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #908 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Regarding the Cirque de Soleil maneuvers above...Lady Snow would be game for this...I would need some convincing. Not trusting my lower body strength to keep her safely aloft...I'm the opposite of you JR...upper body strength and development far outstrips my lower half.

Ever since I walked into the gym the very day after I FIRE'd..this has been very noticeable. I think there is a genetic component - scrawny legs seem to run in the family. And of course, 30 years of kayaking has made the upper/lower body discrepancy even more pronounced.

I've been working my tail off in terms of weight training for over a year now...and progress of the lower half still lags behind considerably.

One thing that was also evident early on in my weight training regime was the fact that, unsurprisingly, the PULLING muscle groups were much stronger than the PUSHING ones. The kayaking hobby, even when I was horrendously overweight, fostered strong forearms, biceps, lats, upper and lower back, and abs (even though you couldn't SEE them until around 6 months ago). Once I dealt with the excess body fat issue...I think it is fair to say that what was revealed was very much "a body that kayaking built".

In the gym I would go from feeling like a superstar on the various row, pull-up and curl type exercises to absolutely feeling feeble on "press" type movements. This is much improved now, though I suspect that as long as I'm paddling increasingly epic distances, the PULLING muscles will always remain ahead. The great thing about this is the nice V-shape that over-developed lats provide - Lady Snow appreciates it at any rate. ;)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:49:07 PM by Jon_Snow »

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #909 on: May 05, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
Regarding the Cirque de Soleil maneuvers above...Lady Snow would be game for this...I would need some convincing. Not trusting my lower body strength to keep her safely aloft...I'm the opposite of you JR...upper body strength and development far outstrips my lower half.

You'd be surprised, in general those poses are all about form and less about strength. If you are stacked mechanically correctly you don't need to be very strong. I participated in a partner yoga training course and at one point stacked in plank with two people on top of me, but it was all about stacking the joints so the skeleton is holding you up and not the muscles.

Also, nice progress!! My husband has the same upper body lower body imbalance and it's definitely a bit genetic. In bodybuilding people often structure their programs so they target weaker areas more often, in some cases they may even stop training an "over developed" muscle entirely to try and catch the under developed ones up. Is that something you've consider? (or you may not really care that much ;) just curious)

jordanread

« Reply #910 on: May 05, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »

Ever since I walked into the gym the very day after I FIRE'd..this has been very noticeable. I think there is a genetic component - scrawny legs seem to run in the family. And of course, 30 years of kayaking has made the upper/lower body discrepancy even more pronounced.

I've been working my tail off in terms of weight training for over a year now...and progress of the lower half still lags behind considerably.

Dude, you've got to try it. The source 1 link I posted above has a couple of starting moves that are quite interesting. The Plank Press was actually harder on the lower body than any of the other poses I linked above. The rest of the poses capitalize on the fact that legs hold you up every time you stand. The muscles in your legs are primarily used to move your flyer to figure out a solid center of gravity, it feels almost naturally easy. Make sure you talk though, it's important! And yes, genetics are probably a big part of it.

One thing that was also evident early on in my weight training regime was the fact that, unsurprisingly, the PULLING muscle groups were much stronger than the PUSHING ones. The kayaking hobby, even when I was horrendously overweight, fostered strong forearms, biceps, lats, upper and lower back, and abs (even though you couldn't SEE them until around 6 months ago). Once I dealt with the excess body fat issue...I think it is fair to say that what was revealed was very much "a body that kayaking built".

In the gym I would go from feeling like a superstar on the various row, pull-up and curl type exercises to absolutely feeling feeble on "press" type movements. This is much improved now, though I suspect that as long as I'm paddling increasingly epic distances, the PULLING muscles will always remain ahead. The great thing about this is the nice V-shape that over-developed lats provide - Lady Snow appreciates it at any rate. ;)

And since I feel JR shouldn't be the only one showing his current progress in terms of sharing visual evidence...here is a month-old pic of me post Baja-beach run. Feel especially good about the arms and shoulders...chest is coming along...and I have firmed up the mid-section a fair bit since this photo was taken. Overall, happy with the progress...if you exclude the legs. There is a reason they are not featured in the photo. I'll keep plugging away at them. ;)

This thread needs more pics or videos...such as the one JoRocka provided earlier (the squats)...that was AWESOME.

Yes, considering that a year and half ago I was definitely skirting the edges of obsesity (as recently referenced in my Journal...and I simply cannot bring myself to post pictures of that ME, though it would be helpful in showing how far I have come)...I AM HAPPY WITH THIS...though I still consider the entire thing to be "work in progress". I am not sure if there is an "end goal" here. And I'm fine with that. :) (and I reserve the right to delete this pic at some point, so I'd appreciate it if this wasn't copied and pasted elsewhere...thank you.:))

Thank you for not letting me post solo. I want more updated pictures from other participants too. I will have some videos by the end of the year, although I'm not sure how it's going to go yet. I'm not one to feel all self conscious, but I have to admit that there is a certain level of comfort posting photos that definitively show progress. And the supportive feedback is just added goodness. I never thought I'd have a little grin from one calling me a convict that appears to be conditioning. I like it.

You'd be surprised, in general those poses are all about form and less about strength. If you are stacked mechanically correctly you don't need to be very strong. I participated in a partner yoga training course and at one point stacked in plank with two people on top of me, but it was all about stacking the joints so the skeleton is holding you up and not the muscles.

Also, nice progress!! My husband has the same upper body lower body imbalance and it's definitely a bit genetic. In bodybuilding people often structure their programs so they target weaker areas more often, in some cases they may even stop training an "over developed" muscle entirely to try and catch the under developed ones up. Is that something you've consider? (or you may not really care that much ;) just curious)

EY, have you done the partner/acro yoga with your DH? Any advice/comments/concerns (I initially thought about wearing a cup, but it turns out I can protect/redirect her if it gets that unstable)? Last night we did the Chair Pose on shins. That was definitely more difficult, but still doable for a bit.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #911 on: May 05, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
In the spirit of posting photos, I'm going to put a spin on mine:

June 1st, 2015 to October 31st, 2015, I was 182.5lbs in the photo on the left on the right I was 151.8lbs. That was a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time and proved to be unsustainable for me. I started suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. My body was stressed out and had no other way to express it. I tried very hard to "reverse diet" slowly and add calories back in slowly but my body fought back hard. I finally scrubbed my attempts completely in March because it was all proving to be too mentally draining and soul sucking. I am currently 175lbs and I feel healthy, I can think straight, I'm not starving, I'm not suffering from super low energy. I'm happy! I can socialize with friends, go to bbqs and dinners out, and have a beer without having to worry that I might "affect my progress."

This article explains a lot about how this is pretty common and makes me feel better and more human about my journey: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0

My body doesn't like to be that lean, maybe I'll be able to achieve it again one day, but at a slower pace of losses and gradual periods of maintenance. Going at it hard crushed my metabolism and crushed me psychologically.

Tl;dr Losing weight too aggressively too quickly can really take a toll on a person, slow and steady wins the race.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:53:43 AM by EngineerYogi »

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #912 on: May 05, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »

EY, have you done the partner/acro yoga with your DH? Any advice/comments/concerns (I initially thought about wearing a cup, but it turns out I can protect/redirect her if it gets that unstable)? Last night we did the Chair Pose on shins. That was definitely more difficult, but still doable for a bit.

DH is a little less enthused by yoga than me. He'll go if I drag him. :/ This is the only other thing I think about when I consider doing acro yoga with my husband: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-LW7hRVTXU

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #913 on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:48 AM »

June 1 to October 31st, I was 182.5lbs in the photo on the left on the right I am 151.8lbs. That was a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time and proved to be unsustainable for me. I started suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. My body was stressed out and had no other way to express it. I tried very hard to "reverse diet" slowly and add calories back in slowly but my body fought back hard. I finally scrubbed my attempts completely in March because it was all proving to be too mentally draining and soul sucking. I am currently 175lbs and I feel healthy, I can think straight, I'm not starving, I'm not suffering from super low energy. I'm happy! I can socialize with friends, go to bbqs and dinners out, and have a beer without having to worry that I might "affect my progress."

This article explains a lot about how this is pretty common and makes me feel better and more human about my journey: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0

My body doesn't like to be that lean, maybe I'll be able to achieve it again one day, but at a slower pace of losses and gradual periods of maintenance. Going at it hard crushed my metabolism and crushed me psychologically.

Tl;dr Losing weight too aggressively too quickly can really take a toll on a person, slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm currently on a pretty intensive calorie deficit right now (well, it is 1000 a day, but I'm still eating about 1800-2200 a day) and it is amazing when you hit that wall and NEED to go and get a snack that will throw you off your plan. Yesterday around 10AM at work I couldn't concentrate and wasn't feeling good. I cracked and got a doughnut, and decided that yesterday was gone--so I went crazy. It was wonderful. I'm planning on another like this on Sunday, and then again a couple weeks from now.

I've been combating it by having a set plan for my caloric intake regardless of how I'm doing on my weight goals--I'm on the intense deficit until about 3 days before I leave for Canada for a week canoeing. While in Canada, I'm going to do whatever I want eating wise. When I get back, I'll cut the deficit back to 500 a day for another month with weights. After a month of that, I want to ramp up the weight training--when that happens, I might go the opposite route with calories.

jordanread

« Reply #914 on: May 05, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »

DH is a little less enthused by yoga than me. He'll go if I drag him. :/ This is the only other thing I think about when I consider doing acro yoga with my husband: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-LW7hRVTXU

That was a fun video, and that's almost exactly what I thought was going to happen overall (except I imagined dropping her onto the cedar chest instead of falling on her), but while there was a fair amount of laughing, it was not nearly as bad as that video. I suppose the challenge aspect is a bit of a different dynamic than just doing it for fun, too. And I am able to keep things light instead of getting mad, which creates a more fun environment. In this case, I've found that the Journey goal of practicing daily instead of focusing on specific poses makes for a pressure free situation. It's just a fun thing we do when she gets home from work, and before dinner.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #915 on: May 05, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »

June 1 to October 31st, I was 182.5lbs in the photo on the left on the right I am 151.8lbs. That was a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time and proved to be unsustainable for me. I started suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. My body was stressed out and had no other way to express it. I tried very hard to "reverse diet" slowly and add calories back in slowly but my body fought back hard. I finally scrubbed my attempts completely in March because it was all proving to be too mentally draining and soul sucking. I am currently 175lbs and I feel healthy, I can think straight, I'm not starving, I'm not suffering from super low energy. I'm happy! I can socialize with friends, go to bbqs and dinners out, and have a beer without having to worry that I might "affect my progress."

Thanks for the reminder. I'm currently on a pretty intensive calorie deficit right now (well, it is 1000 a day, but I'm still eating about 1800-2200 a day) and it is amazing when you hit that wall and NEED to go and get a snack that will throw you off your plan. Yesterday around 10AM at work I couldn't concentrate and wasn't feeling good. I cracked and got a doughnut, and decided that yesterday was gone--so I went crazy. It was wonderful. I'm planning on another like this on Sunday, and then again a couple weeks from now.

I've been combating it by having a set plan for my caloric intake regardless of how I'm doing on my weight goals--I'm on the intense deficit until about 3 days before I leave for Canada for a week canoeing. While in Canada, I'm going to do whatever I want eating wise. When I get back, I'll cut the deficit back to 500 a day for another month with weights. After a month of that, I want to ramp up the weight training--when that happens, I might go the opposite route with calories.

I know you mentioned working with a doctor, but I definitely urge you to consider a smaller calorie deficit and just take more time. If you do choose to stay aggressive I wouldn't cut for longer than an 8 week period before reversing back to a maintenance period. You don't want to end up with a metabolism that burns 500 calories/day less than it should, that easily could lead to a pound of weight gain a week for months on end after dieting or spending the rest of your life hungry trying to fight to stay lean. :( That's what happened to most of the Biggest Loser contestants if you read the article.

If you are feeling the need to binge, it's a good sign your deficit is too large and your body is suffering. In many cases, just eating what you want will destroy the efforts you made on your caloric deficit in the first place. You'd be amazed how fast a person can tear through 3000-4000 calories. You might be better served to stick to a modest deficit consistently which will still equate to some weight loss.

But of course, YMMV and I'm just speaking from my own experiences. I know what it's like to set a goal and decide I must achieve it all costs.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:07:39 PM by EngineerYogi »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #916 on: May 05, 2016, 01:18:10 PM »

I know you mentioned working with a doctor, but I definitely urge you to consider a smaller calorie deficit and just take more time. If you do choose to stay aggressive I wouldn't cut for longer than an 8 week period before reversing back to a maintenance period. You don't want to end up with a metabolism that burns 500 calories/day less than it should, that easily could lead to a pound of weight gain a week for months on end after dieting or spending the rest of your life hungry trying to fight to stay lean. :( That's what happened to most of the Biggest Loser contestants if you read the article.

If you are feeling the need to binge, it's a good sign your deficit is too large and your body is suffering. In many cases, just eating what you want will destroy the efforts you made on your caloric deficit in the first place. You'd be amazed how fast a person can tear through 3000-4000 calories. You might be better served to stick to a modest deficit consistently which will still equate to some weight loss.

But of course, YMMV and I'm just speaking from my own experiences. I know what it's like to set a goal and decide I must achieve it all costs.

Thanks--not working with a doctor, but a Registered Dietitian (my wife) and am consulting a nurse (my mother).

My "extreme" deficit has been going on for 2 weeks now and will continue until June 1, when I go off a "diet" altogether for a week. And I'm working out now, something that I haven't done in a long time--right now it is just running with a HR monitor, pushups, and walking with a weighted backpack. I'm hoping to continue this type of workout regimen for a long, long time--well after I stop with my deficit.

BTW--want to know the best way to lose weight? Go caddy carrying 2 golf bags. When I did that in the summers in high school and college, I always lost a ton of weight. I personally think that walking with weight is one of the best exercises out there. Other than hockey of course.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #917 on: May 06, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
I'll be doing update pictures from my bulk through to essentially 3/4 of the way through my cut either this weekend or next- so I can share in the posting of progress.

I do regularly post on my IG my lift videos which I'm happy to share as long as people don't think it's vain bravado LOL. I do a lot of form checking on my squat do to said SI/hip issue- so lots of videos regularly for me. Helps keep me on track for the "be more awesome goal"

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #918 on: May 06, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Hope it's not too late to join in on this thread!

Last year (2015), I posted on the thread with two goals: run a half marathon in <2 hrs, and do a full body pullup.  I didn't make either of those goals, thanks to a minor leg injury and then getting pregnant.  And I'm getting a late start on them this year due to the whole baby-ejection process.  But, I started running again last month, and we now have a pullup bar in our apartment, so...time to get going!

I don't think it's feasible to train for a HM this year, and certainly not to trim 10+ minutes off my previous time, given that I didn't run at all from Nov 2015 to March 2016.  So on that front, my goals are:

1) Complete a 12-week  5k training program using Run Less, Run Faster (RLRF) guide, with a target of running 5K in <28min. 
2) Assuming successful completion of 5K training, complete 12-week 10k training program, with the goal of completing a 10k in <56 min.  There is a local 10k in November that I would like to aim for.  If all those go well, I'll figure out a plan for tackling the HM in 2017 :)

For the pullup goal, I'm not 100% certain of how fast I can progress and the internet doesn't seem to yield any specific programs like "how to do a pullup in 12 weeks or less".  Drat.  So my plan is to set myself some kind of pullup oriented workout schedule each month, and at the end of the month reassess and figure out the next step in the progression to aim for.  So for May, it's going to be:

1) 5 negative chinups each day
2) Complete the "beginner" exercises in this guide 3x/week.

jordanread

« Reply #919 on: May 06, 2016, 03:17:27 PM »
Hope it's not too late to join in on this thread!

Not too late at all!! Glad to have you. I have your goals added to the tracking post and the greatist progressions and the RLRF program to the goal description post. Congrats on successfully ejecting a baby, and getting back into it all.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #920 on: May 07, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »
Jordan asked for progress pics, so I guess I can join in. Here's from today, sports bra because it's dang hot right now (Okay, like mid 70s, but it *feels* really hot). In the photo I'm doing a front squat with my current max, 115lbs. DH was impressed with the muscle definition I'm getting in my back, so he snapped a photo.

Good workout today, and I'm liking the mat. I had to bail under a 135lb front squat (I started to tilt, haha), and it wasn't too terribly noisy. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #921 on: May 07, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
Thanks for posting that Bracken_Joy. Makes it feel a bit "less weird" posting pics of myself if others are doing it.

And your hubby is right to compliment your back development. Looks strong. Keep it up!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #922 on: May 09, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »
Jordan asked for progress pics, so I guess I can join in. Here's from today, sports bra because it's dang hot right now (Okay, like mid 70s, but it *feels* really hot). In the photo I'm doing a front squat with my current max, 115lbs. DH was impressed with the muscle definition I'm getting in my back, so he snapped a photo.

Good workout today, and I'm liking the mat. I had to bail under a 135lb front squat (I started to tilt, haha), and it wasn't too terribly noisy. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Very impressed! That looks awesome.

I was planning on doing a progress photo too...will have to show off how fucking inflexible I still am.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #923 on: May 10, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »
3 yoga classes done, 17 to go to hit my goal. DH offered to go to class with me tonight. :)

2/3 bike rides done last week, thunderstorms precluded my third ride. 1/3 done for this week, maybe I'll get in a fourth to make up for last week.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #924 on: May 10, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Everyone is doing great and staying so focused!

I've been on kind of a hiatus for about three weeks now.  I'd planned to take a week completely off, and two weeks off from running after my 4/16 half marathon, but aside from two very short kettle bell workouts while I was out of town the last week in April, I've done nothing more strenuous than working in the garden and playing with my horses.  Adding in my pre-race taper, and I'm at almost a month of pretty insignificant exercise, and I'm feeling kind of flabby.

In a hotel again this week, but it has a pretty good gym, and I just finished my first real workout.  Just a 20 minute run and some Bosu work and planks. I was pleased to find that I could run at 7 mph for 20 minutes without getting winded, so I haven't lost too much to my break in terms of aerobic capacity.   Tomorrow night I'll do a good strength workout, and then focus on getting myself back into a program when I get home on Friday.  The Bosu work is getting pretty fun, I can do crane pose and other 1-legged feats of balance now.  Will post a pic if I can get DH down to the basement to snap one.

Keep it up everyone! 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #925 on: May 10, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »
Running, and thus the weight loss, is down due to weather, but I've still mostly been making my caloric intake/output goals, and mostly am getting 10k steps. Mothers day and Derby day in the same weekend were hard on the calories, and liver--I didn't even count calories. There are only two more cheat days left until my canoe trip though, and one of those days I'm playing hockey the morning before the party.

Been slacking with the situps too. Not sure why--probably because my wife hasn't been available to stand on my feet while I do them. Luckily I have been keeping up with my pushup goals, and while I might not get to my goal of 100 pushups in one rep by July 4, I'll probably be close.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #926 on: May 10, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
quick question- posting pictures is it a standard bracket IMG bracket set up?

jordanread

« Reply #927 on: May 10, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »

Yup, as long as it's hosted somewhere with a URL. If it's just local, you can use the attachment function to upload it.

jordanread

« Reply #928 on: May 10, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
And I just read something in Bracken Joy's journal that really made me feel great about how this thread (and participants) are progressing.

Wow that's hardcore.

What is hardcore?

The picture of your back. That's awesome. And that thread is looking like a fitness magazine.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #929 on: May 10, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
I was planning on doing a progress photo too...will have to show off how fucking inflexible I still am.

I don't have a progress photo yet but I finally took a "before" picture this morning, so that's something.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #930 on: May 11, 2016, 06:50:58 AM »

Yup, as long as it's hosted somewhere with a URL. If it's just local, you can use the attachment function to upload it.

cool beans. let me work on this.
I need to get logged in on my phone- I'm trying to do all this via my work computer- which I never keep fitness stuff on really. Lulz. So yeah.
I'm a picture junkie- I use instagram a lot- otherwise I just look like a vain post whore putting my pictures all the time.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #931 on: May 11, 2016, 06:56:48 AM »
Step one.  Test attachment option.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #932 on: May 11, 2016, 06:59:11 AM »
Final push through my bulk.  I officially ended in March.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #933 on: May 11, 2016, 07:48:45 AM »
Ugh, tweaked my back on a heavy deficit deadlift today. Dropped the bar as soon as I felt a twinge but it's pretty stiff and sore now. Hopefully just a muscle strain. I was feeling really good before that and I'm afraid I let my technique get sloppy. Not the wisest approach when pulling 495lbs! :(

Hah, a few weeks ago, literally the day after I was posting to JoRocka about SI joint issues....I was doing straight-legged deadlifts in the gym, like I've been doing for 15 years.  Only 315lbs which is a pretty normal after-warmup-set weight and  OH SHIT I felt like I was in the process of tearing every single lower back muscle in my body.  Immediately dropped weight but it was too late - sat down on the bench, got pale and my wife came back from the drinking fountain and was like what happened?  Told her my workout was done and it was time to leave.

Two days later I couldn't walk, stand, get out of bed...anything.  Went to ER but no disk issues which was what I was worried about.  Turns out it was SI strain and I had to use a cane to get around for a week.  Getting better now but still not doing any leg workouts. 

Anyway, kinda funny it had to happen then, I've never had a LB injury.  Def by far the worst bodybuilding injury of any kind I've experienced to date.  Will be nerve-wracking doing squats and DLs again just waiting for something like that to recur.

Hope you heal better than me.

About 2 years ago i was doing friggin warm-up deadlifts...only had 135lbs on the bar warming up (was probably deadlifting over 300 at the time) 5th rep or so and i collapsed to the floor in a heap of pain. I was at the gym at my work on a saturday so nobody was here...i just laid there for like 20 minutes...couldnt move. Finally managed to drag my sorry broken ass out to my car. got home and laid on the floor for the rest of the night. think i literally had to crawl to the bathroom. pretty much impossible walking for a day after that. Was diagnosed with 2 compressed discs in my lower back and some SI joint inflammation.

Haven't squated or deadlifted since. Anytime i try to go even moderately heavy on RDLs or something, it flares up again pretty bad, so i have just come to terms with the fact that i will never be the elite powerlifter i dreamed of (major sarcasm). still sucks...heavy squats and deads were always fun....now i have just relagated myself to leg press, hamstring curls, extensions, and lunges. oh well. Still get a stiff lower back like always and can even regularly pop my SI joint now. good stuff.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #934 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:40 AM »
JoRocka, I'm on my computer or I'd post the heart eyes emoji! Gorgeous work lady!

jordanread

« Reply #935 on: May 11, 2016, 09:05:23 AM »
JoRocka, photos showed up perfectly, and you are definitely being fabulous. How are you doing now, as opposed to at the end of your bulk?

I still haven't got on the slackline this year, but I'm not stressing too much about it since I set a pretty low bar for myself. However, due to looking around as the SO and I embark on this super fun AcroYoga experiment, I just found YogaSlackers, who do yoga on a freaking slackline (they also do some crazy awesome acroyoga)!! So even though the meditative aspects of yoga aren't quite on my radar yet, the way things appear to be progressing means that maybe yoga is going to play a large part of my life and fitness. I still don't quite think regular (boring ) yoga will be anything but a foundational thing to make yoga slacklining and acroyoga more fun. We'll see how it goes.

JoRocka, I'm on my computer or I'd post the heart eyes emoji! Gorgeous work lady!

Just put emoji7 in brackets, and you can do it on a computer.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #936 on: May 11, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
Hope you heal better than me.

About 2 years ago i was doing friggin warm-up deadlifts...only had 135lbs on the bar warming up (was probably deadlifting over 300 at the time) 5th rep or so and i collapsed to the floor in a heap of pain. I was at the gym at my work on a saturday so nobody was here...i just laid there for like 20 minutes...couldnt move. Finally managed to drag my sorry broken ass out to my car. got home and laid on the floor for the rest of the night. think i literally had to crawl to the bathroom. pretty much impossible walking for a day after that. Was diagnosed with 2 compressed discs in my lower back and some SI joint inflammation.

Haven't squated or deadlifted since. Anytime i try to go even moderately heavy on RDLs or something, it flares up again pretty bad, so i have just come to terms with the fact that i will never be the elite powerlifter i dreamed of (major sarcasm). still sucks...heavy squats and deads were always fun....now i have just relagated myself to leg press, hamstring curls, extensions, and lunges. oh well. Still get a stiff lower back like always and can even regularly pop my SI joint now. good stuff.

Well so far it sounds like I do.  As far as I can tell I'm totally healed now, did 225lb squats pretty easily without pain last week so maybe I'll do 315lbs this week and see how that goes before going higher.  it's been kinda fun squatting light with high reps, it's a lot easier mentally and a shorter recovery time. 

Too bad about your injury, those nagging ones that become permanent are the worst.  Unfortunately they don't seem to get any better with age :(  And it always seems like they happen at the most unexpected time.  My worst shoulder injury ever was randomly in my living room when I was doing a bodyweight pushup go figure.

It's crazy how hard it is just to stand with an SI injury.  I never realized how much it was involved just to stand still.  I was even using my cane in the shower just to keep upright.  Then a week later, poof, all was ok.  Weird stuff. 

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #937 on: May 11, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »

thank you thank you!

JoRocka, photos showed up perfectly, and you are definitely being fabulous. How are you doing now, as opposed to at the end of your bulk?
I'm rolling along- back down to 16something (last weigh in I was like 167- which felt really high considering how tiny I've gotten.

But I do my final "work weight loss competition" weigh in on Friday. I've upped the cardio- dropping salt and water- hoping maybe I can dump the last 5-8 pounds of water weigh in these last 3 days and maybe come in 2nd place and recoup my entry fee.

I feel pretty good over all- I mean weak- b/c cutting- but I haven't had to dump weight off my scheduled lifts generally speaking- they just feel REALLY heavy. Like- even weight that shoudlnt' be THAT heavy feels heavy.

But I'm working and going.
So I started around 160-163- height of my bulk was 182 and then March I started cutting- so I'm practically down to pre- bulk weight.
I'm getting married in September- I'd like to be a solid 150- depending on fitting the dress (I start going for fittings in July I think) so- we'll see- I won't tinker once I start going for fittings- so I'll do the best I can for the next 1.5-2 months and call it a day and just maintain.

I was supposed to take updated comparison pictures- but it was really rainy this weekend- and I prefer a healthy dose of natural lighting in my kitchen- so I ONLY do them saturday/sunday morning- and with the rain- and clouds- it was shit. So hopefully this week I'll get some updated shots- my chest/pec is looking REALLY tidy- but my ass is what's holding weight. <shocker>
Hopefully this weekend I'll have some updates!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:14:44 AM by JoRocka »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #938 on: May 11, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
Final push through my bulk.  I officially ended in March.

Daaaaayyyyyummm Gurl.

*eye flutter*

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #939 on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »
Kayaked 29.6km yesterday. I knew I should have better strength (to paddle faster) and endurance (to paddle further) going into paddling season this season...but my expectations have been blown away. To be able to crank out 30km in May...well these are uncharted waters for me (completely unintentional pun BTW).;) Yeah, there is some lingering muscle fatigue that doesn't bode well for my upper torso weight routine starting in about an hour...but I am already wondering what my limit for a one-day paddling distance might be. I think I need to plan something suitably epic for July. I do have a semblance of a plan forming. I just have to say...to essentially have a "new body" is pretty exhilarating...and increasingly it has made the blood/sweat/tears shed to get here more than worth it.

2016 paddling challenge: 72.9/500km

Here is a pic (from my GoPro mounted on my kayak...this is the first time I've ever faced it toward the cockpit...a great way to critique my paddling form) from yesterday's trip...as you can see, the day was as glorious as it gets in the PNW in Spring...and as a bonus, the light and shadows give a little glimpse of some decent shoulder/tricep definition. :) The paddle was a particularly magical one...the non-fitness related aspects might be detailed in my Journal...soonish. :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:42:49 AM by Jon_Snow »

jordanread

« Reply #940 on: May 11, 2016, 01:24:53 PM »
Kayaked 29.6km yesterday. I knew I should have better strength (to paddle faster) and endurance (to paddle further) going into paddling season this season...but my expectations have been blown away. To be able to crank out 30km in May...well these are uncharted waters for me (completely unintentional pun BTW).;) Yeah, there is some lingering muscle fatigue that doesn't bode well for my upper torso weight routine starting in about an hour...but I am already wondering what my limit for a one-day paddling distance might be. I think I need to plan something suitably epic for July. I do have a semblance of a plan forming. I just have to say...to essentially have a "new body" is pretty exhilarating...and increasingly it has made the blood/sweat/tears shed to get here more than worth it.

JS, I can't wait for the write up in your Journal. I also love the fact that you pretty much constantly surprise yourself, and while my journey isn't as awe inspiring as yours, I feel the same way too. Have you experimented with any other positions for the GP on your kayak? That video we discussed in your journal had the pole looking down and stuff. Just curious.

Also, if we are going to post grabs from our GoPros, here are some grabs from the AcroYoga session the SO and I did last night. It's odd that my stomach looks better just standing up than laying on my back. Weird gravity. And we did our first flow last night too (that is apparently what a routine is called). It wasn't pretty, but it worked. Not bad considering that we've only actually done 6 sessions based on videos and articles. What do you all think?

P.S. I know my legs aren't straight, hamstrings are ridiculously tight, but I'm getting there.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #941 on: May 11, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »
Skied the Bday tour backcountry on Saturday, Sunday mt. biked

Monday lunch - the weight room.  start with 6 way complex: 80 lb - 6 snatch, 6 overhead snatch, 6 good mornings, 6 back squat, 6 bent over rows, 6 good mornings - x 3 sets.
--(6 lunges both sides with 80 lbs.  6 weighted (20lb each hand) hops up to 12 in platform.  6 split jumps) x 6 sets
--Dip/pull up circuit: 10/1 9/2 8/3 7/4 etc.
Cool down

Tuesday after work - mellow indoor climbing gym day - keep at 10c or below

Wednesday - 30 mi bike ride commute RT

I'm 60!!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #942 on: May 12, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »
Everyone is looking awesome! I don't really have any fabulous pictures because I haven't noticed any major changes since the beginning of the year. I do regret not taking true before/after photos of last year's weight loss or I'd post those. 50 pounds was/is a dramatic change on my 5'3" frame. Things I have lately noticed: the pants I'm wearing today fit significantly better than they did just a month ago even though I haven't lost any weight. I have actually lost almost a full inch off my waist since Jan (while being up a couple pounds) and smaller amounts on my hips/chest measurements. I even started noticing the slightest bit of arm definition in the last week or so.

Last week I got back up to speed/planned distance on my runs. I did strength work twice (body weight, upper body and core only, still don't want to overtax the calves before I have too). Swam once. Saturday was graduation (another semester down!) and next week I have my final big work trip of the year (Chaperoning a trip to DC). After that, summer will (hopefully) settle into a nice routine and I plan to get into a more consistent workout routine. Running has been consistent so far in 2016, everything else just kind of gets thrown in if/when it fits and if/when I feel like it.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #943 on: May 12, 2016, 10:19:01 AM »
@jordanread- those are awesome!!! I love it!

jordanread

« Reply #944 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
@jordanread- those are awesome!!! I love it!

Thanks! It really is a lot of fun, and a hell of a lot easier than I thought. Although now someone else needs to post a picture. Tapatalk makes the last one the picture over the thread, and it's just a poorly lit leg. Marginally better than being accosted by JS's torso every time, I think, but not great. I should have just left your photos there JoRocka.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #945 on: May 12, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »
Although now someone else needs to post a picture.

Ok, I'm on it.

The first here was almost exactly a year ago (in St. Lucia)

The second was in January, a few weeks before I joined the thread (that's as much of me as you can see in any picture from that time period, because, January)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #946 on: May 12, 2016, 10:54:51 AM »
While these two were taken in the few minutes between my last post (above, with "before" pics) and this post I am typing right now.

Saturday, when I'm totally prepared for Bay2Breakers, full costume and everything, I'll post another

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #947 on: May 12, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
Well, shit...Bakari has ALMOST convinced me to post some before/after pics too.

Awesome progress man...

jordanread

« Reply #948 on: May 12, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »
Damn dude!! Awesome. I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of boom box,  but I'm assuming that will be in the costumed pic. When I grow up, and want to be a Bakari JS mix.

Awesome progress man...

Another vote for before pics. How many until you give into peer pressure? I can make another thread with a poll if you want.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #949 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »

Another vote for before pics. How many until you give into peer pressure? I can make another thread with a poll if you want.

I'm actually quite happy if you don't. ;)