Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402411 times)

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #850 on: April 28, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »
Ugh, tweaked my back on a heavy deficit deadlift today. Dropped the bar as soon as I felt a twinge but it's pretty stiff and sore now. Hopefully just a muscle strain. I was feeling really good before that and I'm afraid I let my technique get sloppy. Not the wisest approach when pulling 495lbs! :(

Hah, a few weeks ago, literally the day after I was posting to JoRocka about SI joint issues....I was doing straight-legged deadlifts in the gym, like I've been doing for 15 years.  Only 315lbs which is a pretty normal after-warmup-set weight and  OH SHIT I felt like I was in the process of tearing every single lower back muscle in my body.  Immediately dropped weight but it was too late - sat down on the bench, got pale and my wife came back from the drinking fountain and was like what happened?  Told her my workout was done and it was time to leave.

Two days later I couldn't walk, stand, get out of bed...anything.  Went to ER but no disk issues which was what I was worried about.  Turns out it was SI strain and I had to use a cane to get around for a week.  Getting better now but still not doing any leg workouts. 

Anyway, kinda funny it had to happen then, I've never had a LB injury.  Def by far the worst bodybuilding injury of any kind I've experienced to date.  Will be nerve-wracking doing squats and DLs again just waiting for something like that to recur.

jordanread

« Reply #851 on: April 28, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »
Ugh, tweaked my back on a heavy deficit deadlift today. Dropped the bar as soon as I felt a twinge but it's pretty stiff and sore now. Hopefully just a muscle strain. I was feeling really good before that and I'm afraid I let my technique get sloppy. Not the wisest approach when pulling 495lbs! :(

Hah, a few weeks ago, literally the day after I was posting to JoRocka about SI joint issues....I was doing straight-legged deadlifts in the gym, like I've been doing for 15 years.  Only 315lbs which is a pretty normal after-warmup-set weight and  OH SHIT I felt like I was in the process of tearing every single lower back muscle in my body.  Immediately dropped weight but it was too late - sat down on the bench, got pale and my wife came back from the drinking fountain and was like what happened?  Told her my workout was done and it was time to leave.

Two days later I couldn't walk, stand, get out of bed...anything.  Went to ER but no disk issues which was what I was worried about.  Turns out it was SI strain and I had to use a cane to get around for a week.  Getting better now but still not doing any leg workouts. 

Anyway, kinda funny it had to happen then, I've never had a LB injury.  Def by far the worst bodybuilding injury of any kind I've experienced to date.  Will be nerve-wracking doing squats and DLs again just waiting for something like that to recur.

Damn. Glad you are on the mend.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #852 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:40 AM »
Alright, well, I am happy to say that hot yoga is complete.  Didn't go as many times as I would have liked, but one goal is at least complete.

jordanread

« Reply #853 on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »
Alright, well, I am happy to say that hot yoga is complete.  Didn't go as many times as I would have liked, but one goal is at least complete.

Got it marked as complete!! How are you doing on the rebounder?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #854 on: April 28, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »

Scary! Glad you're OK.

I hear ya about the nerves. It may take some time before I can psyche myself up to attack the lift like I usually do. I am still confident that DL is a completely safe (and super awesome) lift, but this was a good reminder that technique is even more important as you go heavier. The good news is that my back is still stiff but definitely feeling better already, so I think I dodged any serious bullets this time.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #855 on: April 28, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »

Scary! Glad you're OK.

I hear ya about the nerves. It may take some time before I can psyche myself up to attack the lift like I usually do. I am still confident that DL is a completely safe (and super awesome) lift, but this was a good reminder that technique is even more important as you go heavier. The good news is that my back is still stiff but definitely feeling better already, so I think I dodged any serious bullets this time.

Good news that yours is only a some stiffness.  It seems like LB injuries heal a lot faster if you keep active and do a lot of flexibility type exercises.  It also seems like injuries are sometimes a good opportunity to regroup, lighten the weight a bit, and recalibrate form to work out any residual sloppiness. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #856 on: April 28, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
23.3km paddled today...I screwed up by not selecting "kayaking" as an exercise option on my Fitbit...instead it registered me as having "walked on water" around my island...and gave me credit for 29,000 steps....currently at 32,000 steps today...a record for me...though one not honestly acheived.

Felt pretty great...and now having a fair amount of strength training knowledge behind me, and a good idea what the major muscle groups are doing during a particular exercise...I was struck at what a great upper body workout kayaking is. Subtle changes in my paddle stroke could target different areas....an upright paddle stroke really activates the lower back and lats...flatten the stroke out a bit shifts the focus more to the upper back. Shoulders, arms....and treating each pull of the paddle through the water as an ab crunch is AWESOME.

2016 paddle challenge: 43.3/500km

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #857 on: April 29, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »

Got it marked as complete!! How are you doing on the rebounder?

Thank you.  Not so good on the rebounder or the other goals, got sidetracked with back problems, but am back onboard and hopefully have some updates soon. Starting May 1st, I am going to focus on the rebounder.  I also have about 16lbs to lose so this will be a good way to do it. 

Just want to say, I am so thankful for this thread.  Even though I am just trying to get myself moving, the levels that some of you have achieved is inspiring and motivating.

Jon Snow, you make me want to go kayaking.  Seems like an all in one fun exercise and you are soaking up some rays while you are at it.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:10:57 AM by alleykat »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #858 on: April 29, 2016, 10:34:23 AM »
Jon Snow, you make me want to go kayaking.  Seems like an all in one fun exercise and you are soaking up some rays while you are at it.

Alleykat, it really is a wonderful sport/hobby/exercise. Not sure if you have checked it out before, but my Journal is a somewhat thinly-disguised love-letter to sea kayaking.

I talked about the fitness aspect of yesterday's paddle here...and when I get time I'm going to post some other details in my Journal...with some pictures perhaps. The really great thing about kayaking where I am located is that there is so much eyeball-melting beauty around you that you can forget sometimes what a tremendous workout you are getting.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #859 on: April 29, 2016, 01:56:50 PM »
Is it too late to join?

My goals for 2016 are:
- Increase overall physical activity
- Walk/be active everyday
- Walk 39 miles in AVON Breast Cancer walk in October
- Gradually stretch and increase flexibility to the level that I know my body can do
- Work my Weight Watchers plan because I know that it works for me
- Get into the other half of my closet that is 2 sizes smaller that what I wear now

jordanread

« Reply #860 on: April 29, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
Is it too late to join?

My goals for 2016 are:
- Gradually stretch and increase flexibility to the level that I know my body can do
- Get into the other half of my closet that is 2 sizes smaller that what I wear now

You think I would recommend it if it was too late?
Welcome to the Gauntlet, and feel free to capitalize on the plethora of knowledge and experience contained here. I have you added to the tracking post. The weight watchers thing would probably cause some feedback regarding other methods, such as tracking macros and the like. However, based on the tone of the other thread and the way that you worded your goal, my guess is that you understand there may be other options, but right now you are sticking with what works, and aren't looking for advice on that aspect of things. If my assumption is correct, feel free to confirm with a follow up comment, and we'll make sure to respect those wishes (maybe next year ). With what little I know about you, there are a few people that pop in my mind as being super valuable. Jon_Snow just recently got a Fitbit Charge (HR I think) and posts stats and his experiences with them (there was also a review tangent in his journal - similar to your thread), and eat.train.yoga.love might be a good resource to discuss relationships with food, since it seems you are on similar paths (either one of you can correct me if I'm wrong, as that has happened...once). I highly suggest perusing the earlier pages. The first few posts are collections of different things that may be of use, and I constantly add to them. The resource post contains helpful links, books, and apps. The tracking post is a list of everyone's goals, and the goal description post has additional information on the goals. Welcome again, and we're glad to have you!!

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #861 on: April 29, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »
Is it too late to join?

My goals for 2016 are:

Welcome to the Gauntlet, and feel free to capitalize on the plethora of knowledge and experience contained here. I have you added to the tracking post.

Thank you!

The weight watchers thing would probably cause some feedback regarding other methods, such as tracking macros and the like.

Yes, WW is not up for discussion for the time being.  I'm doing it and that's what I need for right now.

However, based on the tone of the other thread and the way that you worded your goal, my guess is that you understand there may be other options, but right now you are sticking with what works, and aren't looking for advice on that aspect of things. If my assumption is correct, feel free to confirm with a follow up comment, and we'll make sure to respect those wishes (maybe next year ). With what little I know about you, there are a few people that pop in my mind as being super valuable. Jon_Snow just recently got a Fitbit Charge (HR I think) and posts stats and his experiences with them (there was also a review tangent in his journal - similar to your thread), and eat.train.yoga.love might be a good resource to discuss relationships with food, since it seems you are on similar paths (either one of you can correct me if I'm wrong, as that has happened...once). I highly suggest perusing the earlier pages. The first few posts are collections of different things that may be of use, and I constantly add to them.

Thank you. I'll go through the whole thread when I have time.  But right now, I feel good just getting my goals, as small as they are, out there.  Right now every little step for me is a step in right direction.  My relationship with food is something I've been dealing with and ignoring, and then dealing with again for all of my life, so you picked up on it correctly. :)

The resource post contains helpful links, books, and apps. The tracking post is a list of everyone's goals, and the goal description post has additional information on the goals. Welcome again, and we're glad to have you!!

jordanread

« Reply #862 on: April 29, 2016, 03:08:09 PM »
FIO, Every journey begins with those little steps. It will be awesome. Feel free to just suss out your plan (if that's the route you want to go) here, and people will chime in with suggestions for tweaks. I did want to say that I really liked the wording of your flexibility goals. Finding the limits of what you are capable of is an awesome end goal.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #863 on: April 29, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
The inability to get my blood pressure down with diet (watching sodium) led me to starting to lose weight.

So I started using a fitbit and counting calories (instead of just limiting sodium and increasing potassium). Since the beginning of March, I'm down to 207 from 220, did a couch to 5k (31 minutes) and am keeping up with the running, albeit now I'm getting a HR monitor and not caring about distance.

Daily goals:
1000 calorie deficit (through June 4)
10,000 steps a day

Mid-term goals
190 lbs by July 4 
100 pushups by July 4
100 situps by July 4

Long term goal:
Lower blood pressure
175 lbs by July 4, 2017.

Oh, and in case anyone attacks my calorie deficit: Most of my meals are prepared by a Dietitian or under the supervision of a Dietitian.

jordanread

« Reply #864 on: April 29, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »
The inability to get my blood pressure down with diet (watching sodium) led me to starting to lose weight.

So I started using a fitbit and counting calories (instead of just limiting sodium and increasing potassium). Since the beginning of March, I'm down to 207 from 220, did a couch to 5k (31 minutes) and am keeping up with the running, albeit now I'm getting a HR monitor and not caring about distance.

Daily goals:
10,000 steps a day

Mid-term goals
190 lbs by July 4 
100 pushups by July 4
100 situps by July 4

Long term goal:
Lower blood pressure
175 lbs by July 4, 2017.

Oh, and in case anyone attacks my calorie deficit: Most of my meals are prepared by a Dietitian or under the supervision of a Dietitian.

mtn, for some reason I thought you were already here. My mistake. I've got you added to the tracking post. I did do a bit of math to calculate the end of the year weight assuming that you hit your 7/4 goal. Of course, it's a linear calculation, assuming constant fat loss of 15lbs over 365 days (~.04lbs/day) with 180 days left in 2016 as of 07/04/2016 (~7.5). And yes, I did all this math, and then I realized that 07/04 is pretty much the halfway point of the year. Silly of me. Anyway, your goals I added as listed below. They look okay?

mtn
  • 1000 calories/day deficit
  • 10000 steps/day
  • Lose 17lbs of fat by 07/04/2016
  • 1 set/100 pushups by 07/04/2016
  • 1 set/100 situps by 07/04/2016
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Lose 24.5lbs of fat

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #865 on: April 29, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »

Daily goals:
10,000 steps a day

Mid-term goals
190 lbs by July 4 
100 pushups by July 4
100 situps by July 4

Long term goal:
Lower blood pressure
175 lbs by July 4, 2017.

mtn, for some reason I thought you were already here. My mistake. I've got you added to the tracking post. I did do a bit of math to calculate the end of the year weight assuming that you hit your 7/4 goal. Of course, it's a linear calculation, assuming constant fat loss of 15lbs over 365 days (~.04lbs/day) with 180 days left in 2016 as of 07/04/2016 (~7.5). And yes, I did all this math, and then I realized that 07/04 is pretty much the halfway point of the year. Silly of me. Anyway, your goals I added as listed below. They look okay?

mtn
  • 1000 calories/day deficit
  • 10000 steps/day
  • Lose 17lbs of fat by 07/04/2016
  • 1 set/100 pushups by 07/04/2016
  • 1 set/100 situps by 07/04/2016
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Lose 24.5lbs of fat

Looks good, but the calorie deficit won't continue for very long. I'd just remove that since it isn't a goal in and of itself, just a means for the goal.

Thanks for maintaining this thread!

jordanread

« Reply #866 on: April 29, 2016, 04:06:39 PM »
Looks good, but the calorie deficit won't continue for very long. I'd just remove that since it isn't a goal in and of itself, just a means for the goal.

Thanks for maintaining this thread!

I went ahead and removed that goal. And you're welcome for running this gauntlet. It's a fair amount of work (even more this year than last...I can't wait to see how next year goes), but I get so much out of it, it's more than worth it. And it provides value to other people too!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #867 on: April 29, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »
So blood work was never one of my goals, but health in general certainly is. So I figured it would be worth sharing on here: I got my cholesterol checked, and I have some great numbers! Sadly, I didn't get one of the fancy subtype panels, but it's a start.

Non-fasting panel:  (Reference range)
Triglycerides: 56 mg/dL (<=499 mg/dL)
LDL: 84 mg/dL (<=159 mg/dL)
HDL: 81 mg/dL (>=40 mg/dL)

It's incredibly uncommon to have you HDL ("good") higher than your LDL ("bad"), and the fact that I'm close kinda blows my mind, haha. Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for the community on the gauntlet here really helping me stick with my workout goals. My food has always been a priority, but I don't always follow through on structured, formal exercise as often as I would like!

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #868 on: April 30, 2016, 10:21:10 AM »
Non-fasting panel:  (Reference range)
Triglycerides: 56 mg/dL (<=499 mg/dL)
LDL: 84 mg/dL (<=159 mg/dL)
HDL: 81 mg/dL (>=40 mg/dL)

Wow.  Those are some impressive numbers.
Congrats!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #869 on: April 30, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
Is it too late to join?

Dipping my toes in as well, then.

Goals:
Pass the FitRanX Level 1 test
Do two pull ups
Lose 10 pounds
Lose an additional 10 pounds

I did the level 1 test about two months ago I think? And it revealed that my arms are even weaker than I thought (my triceps were laughable) and I also need to work on my core, so that's what my recent routine has been focusing on. For the weight loss I'm trying to make better choices. I've done calorie counting in the past but I have to be in the right mindset for it so I don't obsess so I'm not doing it right now, but even having done it in the past is helping me make informed choices. I'm hoping to get a FitBit in the next couple months and that should help me be a little more active in spite of a sedentary job.

Here's my current twice a week gym routine (unfortunately I don't have the time to go more often). My apologies for some of the wording here, I don't know the correct terms for some exercises.

1. Warm up/stretching
2. Jump up and grab the pull up bar, pull up my knees so my hips/thighs are at a 90 degree angle. Hanging knee raises
3. At least one round, preferable more of:
-Tricep push ups (for lack of a more accurate term)
-Push ups
-Tricep dips
4. Squats 20 30!
5. Crunches on an exercise ball
6. Full plank as long as possible, then plank on knees as long as possible
7. Stretching
8. Walk briskly on treadmill for any remaining time

I'm already seeing some progress. When I started I could barely hang on to the pull up bar much less pull my knees up, now I can pull them up twice. I also couldn't even finish a single tricep push up in the FitRanx test, now I can do several - still not enough to pass yet, but that will come with time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:55:10 PM by meerkat »

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #870 on: April 30, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
Checking in:
  • Complete a 10K run
I'm doing C210K.  I still have a long ways to go before I can run one, and there don't seem to be any around when I'll be ready. 

• Complete a 5k in under 30 minutes
Ran the Insane Inflatables 5k a couple weeks ago.  They don't time it, but I timed it on my vivofit2 and got 33 minutes.  It was fun, but all the obstacles don't help for a timed run, do they?  I'll probably need to do a vanilla run in the future, but I've been finding out about gimmicky runs and they look so fun.  I might do a Warrior Dash next year.

• 1 set/5 pullup (Stretch: 1set/>10 pullups)
I've been confusing pullups with chinups.  I can do about 6 chinups, but I can do 4 pullups.  So close to that goal, but not as close as I thought.

• Drop weight to 145lbs
Current weight: 151lbs.

And this isn't an official goal, but I kind of want to look good in a tank top.  When I was younger, I didn't feel comfortable wearing one when I was younger because I was kinda scrawny and it felt like it was falling off me.  I gained weight and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one because chubby guy with a tank top just looks weird.  So anyways, went to a store and tried one on.  And I don't know.  I'm thinner and have more tone in my arms, so I don't look bad in it, but it still felt really weird exposing that much.  I don't know, maybe I'm just not a tank top person.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #871 on: May 02, 2016, 06:17:18 AM »
Check-in:

Three runs this past week, no calf pain! I think I'm officially back in action. I also managed a couple swims, two bodyweight workouts (mostly upper body and core focused, trying not to add anything else to my calves), and a round of yoga. Not a bad week.

I've been researching speed work for running. I've never done speed work outside the occasional fartlek for fun. But, I think my June half marathon I'd like to cut my mileage a bit and add in some speed work. Summer will be mostly shorter races, so I hope that less miles, more intensity will lead to another 5K PR. I know most people on here are not runners, but if anyone has tips on speed work, feel free to pass them my way.

Ran the Insane Inflatables 5k a couple weeks ago.  They don't time it, but I timed it on my vivofit2 and got 33 minutes.  It was fun, but all the obstacles don't help for a timed run, do they?  I'll probably need to do a vanilla run in the future, but I've been finding out about gimmicky runs and they look so fun.  I might do a Warrior Dash next year.

I really had fun at the Warrior Dash runs we have done. If you can, convince friends. Much more fun in a group. Also keep an eye out before registering. Usually for Cyber Monday they have a day where registration is only $35 for any race. Otherwise they can be pretty expensive!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #872 on: May 02, 2016, 07:31:27 AM »
Being that I was a complete fitness noob when I jotted down my goals (and still am!), I'd like to make a modification :)

2016 Goals:
    • Complete 30 Days & 30 Stretches to Splits program <= 60 days
    • 1 set/10 lunges (without crying)
    • 1 set/10 push ups
    • Remove: >= 2 miles jogged | regularly play tennis | >= 2x/week cardio classes at gym
    • Add: Complete the YAYOG 10-week Basic Program

I'm really enjoying YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym)! Somehow the bodyweight training, the 
you don't need any equipment other than your own body feels so very Mustachian to me. I found some leftover iTunes music and was able to download the $5 app. I've done 2 work-outs so far and it is 100% worth it for me! (I used to pay someone $150/mo to shout directions at me, so this is much, much better).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #873 on: May 02, 2016, 07:50:40 AM »
Well, May is here and that means that this is my last all-out month at the gym before I switch into "outdoor stuff" mode. So I'm going to increase the weights on all my lifts starting today and give it hell for the next month. I will mix in the occasional gym workout throughout the summer when I'm in Vancouver...but it's mostly kayaking, hiking, running, garden work, etc...

My tricky Achilles problem has been a factor of late...I felt it "pop" yesterday on a 5km hill run. It is beyond frustrating that my running progress might be held back by this issue when everything else is progressing so well. My half marathon in June looms large...

Body fat % is hovering right around 10%...not sure I want to make the necessary dietary changes that would be needed to get into the single digits.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #874 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:40 AM »
Managed to lift 2 times last week- I didn't get the 3rd lift in on account of the fact I was away for a dance event- Danced Friday- live music (AWESOME)
Danced- again Friday- CD- all improve- which is normally my go to- but this was not super familar music to me- so was tricky- but felt super beat up from both sets- emotionally and physically.

Danced Saturday with the pro troupe- awesome set.

Sunday was recoup- and errand running day- and my errands took me WAY longer than I wanted- so no Sunday lift for me. WOMP WOMP.
That's okay- I was able to get my food sorted for the week AND meal prep- win win.

On to lifting for this week- looking like Monday, Thursday Friday- I might be able to do a Wed lift- but I know I have Thursday available. I don't have my gig schedule yet- but we'll work that out.

COME ON MAY!!! WOOT WOOT ALL THE LIFTING- and all the fabulousness.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #875 on: May 02, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »

New month check in:

Jordan, you can cross off

• 1 set/5 muscle ups
  • >= 70 pushups <= 00:60
  • 1 set/1 bench press 210lbs

from my goals!!!!!
WWWOOOOOOOO  Progress!!!

2 more weeks to Bay to Breakers 2016 - possibly the last time I go all out stipper mode (I may be a full-time stay-at-home dad this time next year).  Happy with the 'look', but I've been doing moderate weight higher rep lifts (like 12-15rep @ ~70% instead of 5 @ 90% I usually do, to build up some showy glycogen stores; something I first learned about on the first major fitness thread on the MMM boards!) and some isolation exercises instead of the functional compound lifts I normally do anyway.
Despite that (or maybe because of the stimulus of change?) was able to hit my 1RM bench goal this morning :-)

On a good day I can sometimes get a single rep of one-armed pull-up.  But moving slightly backwards on OH press :-/ ache vecho
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:40:02 AM by Bakari »

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #876 on: May 02, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
So fun to see the progress everyone is making! I'm all excited for all of you!!

I'm hoping to get a FitBit in the next couple months and that should help me be a little more active in spite of a sedentary job.

Here's my current twice a week gym routine (unfortunately I don't have the time to go more often). My apologies for some of the wording here, I don't know the correct terms for some exercises.

2. Jump up and grab the pull up bar, pull up my knees so my hips/thighs are at a 90 degree angle.

-Tricep push ups (for lack of a more accurate term)

I love my Fitbit, I find if I am hitting my step goal my weight usually trends downwards.
2. I believe these are either called hanging leg raises/lifts or hanging crunches
And a tricep push up is definitely a thing. ;)

Body fat % is hovering right around 10%...not sure I want to make the necessary dietary changes that would be needed to get into the single digits.

I find the trade-off in lifestyle to not be worth it. But YMMV.

Despite that (or maybe because of the stimulus of change?) was able to hit my 1RM bench goal this morning :-)

I bet the isolation work(I'm assuming it is similar to accessory work) helped strengthen some weak points and improved the bench!

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #877 on: May 02, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »
McBuck
  • Complete 16 week marathon training by 5/1
  • Complete marathon <= 4:00:00 by 5/1
  • Lose 10lbs of fat by marathon
  • Gain 16lbs of muscle
  • 1 set/1 squat 405lbs
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 500lbs
  • Improve flexibility
My marathon was yesterday on a cold, wet, and windy day. I crossed the finish line completely soaked with numb hands just over my goal of 4 hours. Considering the conditions, I'm happy with my time.

My next step is to get back to the gym and start weightlifting (once I can walk again).
By the end of 2016, I want to:
Bulk to 181lbs
Squat 405lbs
Deadlift 500lbs

I've also been doing a lot of foam rolling in addition to my stretching. I found my Achilles is incredibly tight and limiting my ankle flexibility, so I've been focusing on that.

It'll be interesting to see how much strength I've lost during my marathon training and weight loss.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #878 on: May 02, 2016, 12:55:09 PM »
Well, we will see how my deadlifts go from here. We're having some... issues with a neighbor. Details are expanded in my journal, if anyone cares, but suffice to say, we're *trying* to be the nice/reasonable ones, and may be changing out home gym habits to achieve this.

For now, I will probably be focused more on metcon/aerobic type output than strength gains. This is good timing and what I normally do with hiking season anyway. Maybe I'll set a mileage goal for hikes for this year, since I have tracked them all so far. Hmmmm. Something to consider. But I don't know what a reasonable goal to set would be! I will also keep after my attempts to do a pull up.

jordanread

« Reply #879 on: May 02, 2016, 01:01:47 PM »
I've been confusing pullups with chinups.  I can do about 6 chinups, but I can do 4 pullups.  So close to that goal, but not as close as I thought.

I don't know what route you are going with this, but there is a section in the book related to this exact question. There is also some stuff about pronation (the natural tendency of the wrist to rotate as the arm moves). I've quoted a section from the book below:

Quote from: Paul Wade (Convict Conditioning)
Pullups vs Chinups

A lot of new trainees get confused about the difference between a chinup and a pullup. For example, some coaches claim that a pullup must be done so that the chest is lifted all the way to the bar, whereas in a chinup only the chin goes over the bar. In Europe, the term chinup is used instead of pullup, although they mean exactly the same thing. In some places in the US both terms are used interchangeably. I’ve met ex-football players who swear that a pullup is done with an overhand grip, whereas a chinup is done with an underhand grip. There seems to be no universal agreement. No wonder people get confused. In Convict Conditioning a pullup is any exercise where you pull the torso towards the hands against gravity, so the term casts a pretty wide net. But don’t get too hung up on terminology. The names you use aren’t as important as correct execution of the exercises.

Is it too late to join?

Dipping my toes in as well, then.

Goals:
Pass the FitRanX Level 1 test
Do two pull ups
Lose 10 pounds
Lose an additional 10 pounds

Welcome to the gauntlet!! I have you added to the tracking post, and I put the FitRanX link in the goal description post. I wasn't positive about the two 10lbs goals, so I did one goal for 10lbs and one for 20lbs (they are from the start, so it doesn't mean 30lbs).

2016 Goals:
    • Complete 30 Days & 30 Stretches to Splits program <= 60 days
    • 1 set/10 lunges (without crying)
    • 1 set/10 push ups
    • Remove: >= 2 miles jogged | regularly play tennis | >= 2x/week cardio classes at gym
    • Add: Complete the YAYOG 10-week Basic Program

I've got your goals updated. I wasn't able to find a good description of the YAYOG program, but the book is on the resource post, and the program is laid out in there.

Somehow the bodyweight training, the  you don't need any equipment other than your own body feels so very Mustachian to me.

I feel the same way. I've written a fair amount on why I love bodyweight training earlier in this thread, and it sounds like you are in the same boat. It's a wonderful experience.

New month check in:

• 1 set/5 muscle ups

Kick ass!!! I've got the tracking post updated. How's the other half doing? She hasn't checked in for a while. Also, are you still doing tests on the Warped Wall now that it's over? Should I remove it, mark it as complete, or are you still working on it?

2. Jump up and grab the pull up bar, pull up my knees so my hips/thighs are at a 90 degree angle.
2. I believe these are either called hanging leg raises/lifts or hanging crunches

They are called hanging knee raises. They are step 6 on the Convict Conditioning leg raises big 6. You can see the progressions here meerkat . Folks, I know the 4 Hour Life (Convict Conditioning) links in the goal description post aren't working, and I'm in communication with the webmaster of the site because it's an error. Doing a google search for Convict Conditioning and the specific workout will provide access to the page, but I'm not going to change the links until the fix it.

McBuck
  • Complete 16 week marathon training by 5/1
  • Complete marathon <= 4:00:00 by 5/1
  • Lose 10lbs of fat by marathon
  • Gain 16lbs of muscle
  • 1 set/1 squat 405lbs
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 500lbs
  • Improve flexibility
My marathon was yesterday on a cold, wet, and windy day. I crossed the finish line completely soaked with numb hands just over my goal of 4 hours. Considering the conditions, I'm happy with my time.

My next step is to get back to the gym and start weightlifting (once I can walk again).
By the end of 2016, I want to:
Bulk to 181lbs
Squat 405lbs
Deadlift 500lbs

I've got your goals updated!!

jordanread

« Reply #880 on: May 02, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »
My tricky Achilles problem has been a factor of late...I felt it "pop" yesterday on a 5km hill run. It is beyond frustrating that my running progress might be held back by this issue when everything else is progressing so well. My half marathon in June looms large...

Is the achilles just messing with you when you run, or does it screw with you when you walk and move around too? The beach running, was it low impact enough to not cause issues? As far as the single digit BF%, I'm kind of with ETYL on this one, although if I get close, I'd try to dip my toes in just to see if I can do it, but after that I'd focus on sustainability. As I've said before, when working out becomes work instead of fun, that's probably where I'll try to maintain.

Managed to lift 2 times last week- I didn't get the 3rd lift in on account of the fact I was away for a dance event- Danced Friday- live music (AWESOME)
Danced- again Friday- CD- all improve- which is normally my go to- but this was not super familar music to me- so was tricky- but felt super beat up from both sets- emotionally and physically.

Danced Saturday with the pro troupe- awesome set.

Sunday was recoup- and errand running day- and my errands took me WAY longer than I wanted- so no Sunday lift for me. WOMP WOMP.
That's okay- I was able to get my food sorted for the week AND meal prep- win win.

On to lifting for this week- looking like Monday, Thursday Friday- I might be able to do a Wed lift- but I know I have Thursday available. I don't have my gig schedule yet- but we'll work that out.

COME ON MAY!!! WOOT WOOT ALL THE LIFTING- and all the fabulousness.

I can't remember if you mentioned this before, and if it's too identifying or whatever, just let us know. That being said, what kind of dance gigs do you do? Is it super fun cardio stuff (like the hustle or club dancing), ballet, exotic (freaking upper body), ballroom? I do ballroom and latin relatively regularly, and my exotic dancing hasn't happened in a long time, and other dancing has decreased since I stopped drinking

Well, we will see how my deadlifts go from here. We're having some... issues with a neighbor. Details are expanded in my journal, if anyone cares, but suffice to say, we're *trying* to be the nice/reasonable ones, and may be changing out home gym habits to achieve this.

For now, I will probably be focused more on metcon/aerobic type output than strength gains. This is good timing and what I normally do with hiking season anyway. Maybe I'll set a mileage goal for hikes for this year, since I have tracked them all so far. Hmmmm. Something to consider. But I don't know what a reasonable goal to set would be! I will also keep after my attempts to do a pull up.

Were you still going to talk with the landlord and hope you can continue lifting, or are you going to wait until after summer?

On my front, I actually started doing AcroYoga with my SO. It's quite fun, and easier progressions than I thought, since I'm by no means flexible enough (or have enough core strength) to be very good at regular yoga. I'm enjoying the journey so far, and we'll see how I am at the end of the month. Maybe I'll post some pictures/videos. We're starting to record our sessions (currently in the living room, and then in the backyard...I hope to convince her to do it at the park) on the GoPro to get another perspective. I don't think I'm going to add a goal for that until next year, but I'll see how fast we progress. It's a fun joint effort that definitely improves communication.

To that end, I was getting dressed this morning, and while I still can get myself into a position where I'm a member of some roll club (I don't think it's 6 anymore), I'm getting enough tone in the midsection  to be able to create shadows!! W00T.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #881 on: May 02, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »
Welcome to the gauntlet!! I have you added to the tracking post, and I put the FitRanX link in the goal description post. I wasn't positive about the two 10lbs goals, so I did one goal for 10lbs and one for 20lbs (they are from the start, so it doesn't mean 30lbs).

Thank you!!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #882 on: May 02, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »
On my front, I actually started doing AcroYoga with my SO. It's quite fun, and easier progressions than I thought, since I'm by no means flexible enough (or have enough core strength) to be very good at regular yoga. I'm enjoying the journey so far, and we'll see how I am at the end of the month. Maybe I'll post some pictures/videos. We're starting to record our sessions (currently in the living room, and then in the backyard...I hope to convince her to do it at the park) on the GoPro to get another perspective. I don't think I'm going to add a goal for that until next year, but I'll see how fast we progress. It's a fun joint effort that definitely improves communication.

To that end, I was getting dressed this morning, and while I still can get myself into a position where I'm a member of some roll club (I don't think it's 6 anymore), I'm getting enough tone in the midsection  to be able to create shadows!! W00T.

Nice progress!! Also, I have to give you the obligatory, "doing yoga is not about flexibility!" Anyone, and I mean anyone, can do yoga and would stand to improve whatever they already do by adding it. AcroYoga is generally a more advanced variety of yoga so I'm surprised you jumped into that without a basic yoga background/foundation. I'd love to see your videos. :)

jordanread

« Reply #883 on: May 02, 2016, 03:16:34 PM »

Nice progress!! Also, I have to give you the obligatory, "doing yoga is not about flexibility!" Anyone, and I mean anyone, can do yoga and would stand to improve whatever they already do by adding it. AcroYoga is generally a more advanced variety of yoga so I'm surprised you jumped into that without a basic yoga background/foundation. I'd love to see your videos. :)

Yeah, I know it's not primarily about flexibility, and definitely more about core strength and balance (although my tight hamstrings do cause some issues). I was 'introduced' to the idea of acroyoga (which I'd never heard of) because I was watching a few youtube videos, and then started doing other stuff...the autoplay function eventually played an ANW submission video (this one). It seemed like a cool thing, and I brought it up to the SO as something to look into at the start of next year, since I plan to incorporate some yoga later on (mostly because I want to do SUP yoga at the lake by my house in winter - I'm weird like that). However, apparently that triggered something in her brain, and she came home from work saying that we should start. right. now. She found this series, and we started doing some of the moves. It was a fun start, and I think it will be some super fun progression. We are going to start doing 20 minutes of basic yoga as a warm up. I'll see about posting the videos at the end of the month (it's kind of her call). We're already feeling pretty good about our progress even though it's only been a couple of days, so we'll probably stick with it, and maybe even do some aerial stuff a bit later.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #884 on: May 02, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »

Yeah, I know it's not primarily about flexibility, and definitely more about core strength and balance (although my tight hamstrings do cause some issues). I was 'introduced' to the idea of acroyoga (which I'd never heard of) because I was watching a few youtube videos, and then started doing other stuff...the autoplay function eventually played an ANW submission video (this one). It seemed like a cool thing, and I brought it up to the SO as something to look into at the start of next year, since I plan to incorporate some yoga later on (mostly because I want to do SUP yoga at the lake by my house in winter - I'm weird like that). However, apparently that triggered something in her brain, and she came home from work saying that we should start. right. now. She found this series, and we started doing some of the moves. It was a fun start, and I think it will be some super fun progression. We are going to start doing 20 minutes of basic yoga as a warm up. I'll see about posting the videos at the end of the month (it's kind of her call). We're already feeling pretty good about our progress even though it's only been a couple of days, so we'll probably stick with it, and maybe even do some aerial stuff a bit later.

I'd argue that yoga is actually about finding a way to quiet the mind. ;) All the other things that happen through poses (core, balance, flexibility, strength) are just side effects or methods to improve quieting the mind.

Very cool that you did jump in though! Sun Salutations are a great warm up and are the center of most yoga practices(and there are lots of variations that can be used based on your "level" so it can be easier or harder). SUP sounds awesome too, they offer it around here but I haven't gone yet. It's on my list of to dos.

jordanread

« Reply #885 on: May 02, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »

I'd argue that yoga is actually about finding a way to quiet the mind. ;) All the other things that happen through poses (core, balance, flexibility, strength) are just side effects or methods to improve quieting the mind.

Very cool that you did jump in though! Sun Salutations are a great warm up and are the center of most yoga practices(and there are lots of variations that can be used based on your "level" so it can be easier or harder). SUP sounds awesome too, they offer it around here but I haven't gone yet. It's on my list of to dos.

Ah yes. I meditate almost daily, so I view yoga as a more physical pursuit separate from quieting the mind, but I see your point. Also, I did find out today that SUP AcroYoga is a thing...the SO won't do it in the winter (she's the sane one), but maybe next summer.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #886 on: May 02, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
Participants

ParticipantGoals
  • 1 set/1 bench press 150lbs
  • 1 set/1 squat 200lbs
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 250lbs
  • Maintain <= 20% body fat
  • Intake <= 2750 calories
  • Add mass to hamstrings and shoulders

I think I need different goals. In light of my recent trip(s) to therapy I've made a massive shift away from the bikini competitor mindset and most of these old goals were playing to that. Maybe I'll go back to lifting heavy again someday, but with yoga teacher training starting, the next few months heavy lifting isn't going to happen.

New goals!
Complete 20 yoga classes in May (challenge at the yoga studio)
Bike commute 3 times per week

short and sweet. :)

ETA: I've changed my username too. Anonymity purposes. ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:08:55 PM by EngineerYogi »

jordanread

« Reply #887 on: May 02, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »
EY, I've updated your goals to reflect your username. Might want to remove the quote above, just in case. I know it's pre-emptive, but it's up to you.

Only those two goals? That's what I got from your post. Do you want to add anything else?

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #888 on: May 02, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
  • 1 set/5 muscle ups

Kick ass!!! I've got the tracking post updated. How's the other half doing? She hasn't checked in for a while. Also, are you still doing tests on the Warped Wall now that it's over? Should I remove it, mark it as complete, or are you still working on it?

Very good question.  I was wondering what to do with that as well.
I haven't been back to the ANW specific gym (its a long way from home) since my try out, but it feels like cheating to erase a goal like it was never there.  Maybe mark as Not Applicable?  One of these days I'ma travel to the other ANW gym in the area (I think about the same distance from home, but in the opposite direction, never yet been there) I've heard they have a warped wall more which more closely resembles the real thing.  Just so I can legitimately cross it off here on this thread :-)

By the way - I love how between your head wrap and your expression, you totally look the part of a "convict" who's been conditioning!!
And also, nice torso, very obvious progress compared to your earlier pic!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #889 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:15 PM »
EY, I've updated your goals to reflect your username. Might want to remove the quote above, just in case. I know it's pre-emptive, but it's up to you.

Only those two goals? That's what I got from your post. Do you want to add anything else?

Thank you! Nothing else to add. :) Two achievable goals which will better me.

jordanread

« Reply #890 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »
  • 1 set/5 muscle ups

Very good question.  I was wondering what to do with that as well.
I haven't been back to the ANW specific gym (its a long way from home) since my try out, but it feels like cheating to erase a goal like it was never there.  Maybe mark as Not Applicable?  One of these days I'ma travel to the other ANW gym in the area (I think about the same distance from home, but in the opposite direction, never yet been there) I've heard they have a warped wall more which more closely resembles the real thing.  Just so I can legitimately cross it off here on this thread :-)

By the way - I love how between your head wrap and your expression, you totally look the part of a "convict" who's been conditioning!!
And also, nice torso, very obvious progress compared to your earlier pic!

I'll just leave it on for now, since you are planning to visit the other gym. As far as my head wrap, I always wear one. It's a ridiculously expensive piece of cloth, but I have 7 buffs (which is what they are) and I have both the UV and Original, but primarily have them because they make my fedora fit better, they keep me cool on hikes (dipping them in rivers), and I can keep my hair long (SO likes it) but not have to ever use a comb. Lazy. I did not try to look all crazy convicted, I just woke up, but with that lense, it does look pretty freaking cool. Thanks!!

Thank you! Nothing else to add. :) Two achievable goals which will better me.

Sounds good. Happy riding. After May, I'll just cross that off at the end of May, and add your next month ones.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #891 on: May 02, 2016, 06:30:59 PM »
Vanity day at the gym today. High volume speed work with the duffalo bar on bench and upper body accessories. Btw, duffalo bars are awesome. I highly recommend one to improve your bench at the bottom (they are curved so the range of motion is greater). They also feel really good on my elbows and shoulders to me compared to the straight bar. I think something about the way you have to grip it relieves joint stress to some degree. My understanding is that duffalos are somewhat hard to find though, and quite expensive. But if you have access to one, try it out!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #892 on: May 02, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
Vanity day at the gym today. High volume speed work with the duffalo bar on bench and upper body accessories. Btw, duffalo bars are awesome. I highly recommend one to improve your bench at the bottom (they are curved so the range of motion is greater). They also feel really good on my elbows and shoulders to me compared to the straight bar. I think something about the way you have to grip it relieves joint stress to some degree. My understanding is that duffalos are somewhat hard to find though, and quite expensive. But if you have access to one, try it out!

I hadn't heard it called that before, they are known as Buffalo bars, it appears the "Duffalo" is coined after Chris Duffin though and is the same thing.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #893 on: May 02, 2016, 07:05:45 PM »
Jordanread...that pic doesn't lie...you have made good progress sir.

IloveBakari

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #894 on: May 02, 2016, 10:14:22 PM »

I'm here, just not checking in as much as I should. You can cross off the 8 pull downs at 80 lbs and 8 clean and presses at 50 lbs. I'm almost there on the bench press.

I've been doing a lot of Insanity videos which I really like. Cross Fit was awesome and helped me make a lot of progress but it was kind of expensive.

jordanread

« Reply #895 on: May 03, 2016, 06:30:23 AM »
Thanks for the good feedback on the pic JS and Bakari. I'm feeling pretty good, but without riding as much, it's totally not as fast as the temporary 2014 weight loss I experienced, although I was a bit blown away by the increased tone, not just the getting skinny part.

I'm here, just not checking in as much as I should. You can cross off the 8 pull downs at 80 lbs and 8 clean and presses at 50 lbs. I'm almost there on the bench press.

I've been doing a lot of Insanity videos which I really like. Cross Fit was awesome and helped me make a lot of progress but it was kind of expensive.

Got those two goals crossed off. Way to go!! I'm glad you are enjoying insanity. Those were some of my absolute favorite video based workouts (I admit, when I first did them, Shaun T's 'nervousness' on the Cardio was a bit infective). Talk to Bakari if you want additional options, as he and I have chatted on that subject a bit.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #896 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »

Interesting- mostly b/c I know a lot of people who do yoga to "DO YOGA"- I personal do yoga (or really the yoga for dummies- and or yoga for people who aint got the time for the real thing)- for the stretch and the moments to find breath. Less about the meditation- but really about self care. 

But - I know people who do power yoga- and the only go is to DO MOAR YOGA- which- I find counter productive to my needs. not that it's wrong- but people have different needs and different goals- I just find with yoga it's interesting to see the huge smattering of differences.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #897 on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:16 AM »
I can't remember if you mentioned this before, and if it's too identifying or whatever, just let us know. That being said, what kind of dance gigs do you do? Is it super fun cardio stuff (like the hustle or club dancing), ballet, exotic (freaking upper body), ballroom? I do ballroom and latin relatively regularly, and my exotic dancing hasn't happened in a long time, and other dancing has decreased since I stopped drinking

man- I seriously hope I get this quote trimmed down properly.

I'm a professional bellydancer. I spend 10-15 hrs a week training and I work several gigs monthly and tour with a professional troupe.
so- yes it CAN be cardio- but I don't really consider it part of my physical fitness workout stuff- if I need cardio- I go do cardio.  The dance stuff must be done on it's own- so in my head I don't put that in the "fitness/training/workout" box.  It goes in the "dance" box. if that makes any sense.   When we do West African- I typically will include that b/c it's above what my normal level is. I wish I had time to do more formal stuff like ballroom- but aint no time. So whatever we do at the studio- which includes modern/contemp stuff- west african- a good smattering of hip hop and ballet basics.

Looking fab by the way- haven't been around long enough to see pre-pictures- but the post pictures look great!!!

jordanread

« Reply #898 on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:13 AM »
Ha, you got it trimmed correctly, JoRocka. I almost kept everything in a single post, and then I realized it was getting a bit long, so I split it up.
Belly dancing is awesome. I've only dabbled, and been more into the sword play with the type I've done, but it is definitely more challenging, just due to the different muscles being used (although latin shares some). I'm not going the route of shock & awe with before and after, as I'm digging the journey. The primary before photo I posted is here. Thanks for the compliment. Actually, your belly dancing comment just made me remember something from a few years back. The SO used some of the rings as part of a ren fair costume (she was a damn sexy gypsy), which then reminded me that I go for functionality, and fun. I remembered it's hot as hell, so I went with as little as possible. I wound up wearing a sash and a kilt (it was scottish weekend or something like that). The insult guy called me brave-chubs, which was awesome (although probably played out that weekend). I can't wait until I go back not being brave chubs. :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #899 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:30 AM »

Interesting- mostly b/c I know a lot of people who do yoga to "DO YOGA"- I personal do yoga (or really the yoga for dummies- and or yoga for people who aint got the time for the real thing)- for the stretch and the moments to find breath. Less about the meditation- but really about self care. 

But - I know people who do power yoga- and the only go is to DO MOAR YOGA- which- I find counter productive to my needs. not that it's wrong- but people have different needs and different goals- I just find with yoga it's interesting to see the huge smattering of differences.

I think that is where most people (particularly western culture) start, it's where I started. But, if you are working on breathing then you are quieting the mind, that is the forefront of meditation, connecting to your breath, because it brings you to the present moment. Asanas or poses are only one of the 8 limbs of yoga, pranayama or breathing is a second and both are critical in a yoga class.

I totally agree there are a ton of variations out there, I LOVE power yoga and that is the style I do most regularly. But a good Hatha or Yin class is great too for recovery.