Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402436 times)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #750 on: April 03, 2016, 05:45:58 PM »
Well, I was going to say I didn't end up working out, and just gardened instead.

Now I can't really move my arms. I am reevaluating "just gardened", lol!

Really though, a total of 5 hours, 3 of hard cleaning ground cover and then planting. All manually, with shovel/rake. Owowowowow. This is what we call functional fitness, right? Ow.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #751 on: April 04, 2016, 05:37:33 AM »
DH and I finished the Oak Barrel Half Marathon on Saturday. Each of us hit a PR and I hit my 2:20 goal with a 2:19.51! Honestly, when I set my goals for this year, I thought both of my running goals (sub-30 5K and sub-2:20 Half) were stretch goals for me. I never expected to hit them so early in the year. I've been running off and on for 4 years (mostly I'd sign up for a race, half train, run it, and quit running until I signed up for another race), but last summer when I started losing weight in ernest, I also started running consistently and it has certainly paid off, way more than I could have ever expected.

Oak Barrel is in Lynchburg, TN. Small town, smallish (1600 participants) race. Beautiful course. One brutal hill and some small rollers. Well organized with great volunteers. Well priced with nice race swag (Long sleeve half zip, hat/visor, socks). Fabulous finish line food.  I'd highly recommend the race to anyone in the southern part of the US looking for a fun half.

This week I'm going to ease back into running and swim a bit more than I have been. I feel pretty great, but no reason to rush back in and chance it.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #752 on: April 04, 2016, 06:22:54 AM »
I bought a Fitbit Charge HR before I came down to Baja...I have to admit I'm pretty much sold on it. Distance tracking seems a bit off, but I really like the heart rate tracking...and the desire to exceed the 10000 steps daily has become pleasantly addictive.

This is a snap shot of a typical Baja-exercise day for me...this shows what my day looks like with a morning run and an early afternoon beach walk. I'm guessing that some of the steep hills of my running route are being registered as "stairs"?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #753 on: April 04, 2016, 09:38:52 AM »
I managed to do an hour of physical activity 27 days in March, and 30 minutes of physical activity on my "rest days" each week!  Hopefully I can keep those numbers up this month.

I've got a month of crazy travel coming up, so I'm going to need to be self-motivated to work out as I won't have the classes. Anyone have a good resource for airport stretches/workouts? I've got at least 8 hours of layovers this month I could probably utilize.

Any good lists of bodyweight exercises to do in hotel rooms? I think both of the places I'm staying don't have fitness centers so I'm going to have to work out in the room. We also won't have much free time.
I'm thinking burpees, tricep dips off the edge of the bed, sit ups, pushups, squats while holding my backpack. Anything else?

jordanread

« Reply #754 on: April 04, 2016, 09:43:21 AM »
I managed to do an hour of physical activity 27 days in March, and 30 minutes of physical activity on my "rest days" each week!  Hopefully I can keep those numbers up this month.

I've got a month of crazy travel coming up, so I'm going to need to be self-motivated to work out as I won't have the classes. Anyone have a good resource for airport stretches/workouts? I've got at least 8 hours of layovers this month I could probably utilize.

Any good lists of bodyweight exercises to do in hotel rooms? I think both of the places I'm staying don't have fitness centers so I'm going to have to work out in the room. We also won't have much free time.
I'm thinking burpees, tricep dips off the edge of the bed, sit ups, pushups, squats while holding my backpack. Anything else?

You can thank ETYL for bringing this up. https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/

Also, all of the Convict Conditioning stuff can be done without equipment.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #755 on: April 04, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
Thank you :)

Yes- I am painfully aware of my set up- I've been trying to work to adjust a major imbalance that was causing my left hip to dip down and back at the bottom of my squat- like my right side would hit the bottom and the left kept going. It was really bad- no pain- but I knew it was going to be. I was in physical therapy for the better part of 7 months- it's better- but I'm now struggling with a clean set up (evidently) and some SI joint issues.   I actually noticed on my 195 set- I re-adjusted at the end of my first five squats and immediately felt tired- so yeppers- lost a lot out of the fussing. It's super annoying- I move my feet every so slightly right before I sit down so when I come up I feel like I need to readust.   

2.)- Yes- ISH.
I am currently doing 1 x 15 of stiff leg deadlifts-I usually pull 155-165 for those- and I can get those without my grip giving up.
I noticed I pull those crooked as well- so I'm REALLY fighting to get even.
My BB rows I do 3 x 10-15 depending on the day and how heavy (usually 115 for me without momentum pulls)

I am going to be incorporating more posterior chain work in the next rotation of programming- more single leg stuff and more glute work. It's something I tend to leave off when I'm doing all power lifting stuff- me thinks- after almost 3 years of pure power training it's time to switch to a program that addresses more imbalances and is a full body split type work rather than strength.  I'd like to get stronger but not at the risk of increasing my noticeable imbalances.

As far as the fidgeting is concerned, if you're keeping your muscles (quads/hams/glutes) under tension at all times, even at the top-pause of your rep then you shouldn't find yourself moving things around.  Can't really tell from your vid - women tend to have more "jiggle" so it's tough to delineate fat vs. muscle movement (lol, no disrespect!).  Your feet should feel velcro'd to the floor.  The whole thing should be smooth and perfectly-controlled.  That all starts with making sure your feet are planted from the beginning of the first rep which is why I recommend visualizing Velcro on the bottom of your shoes.

I'm also wondering about your SI joint issues.  Certainly a couple posts on the internet aren't enough for me to give a good opinion, but anything that is causing you to have to go and get therapy and cortisone shots (I'm assuming that's what it was) isn't working.  If this is a long-time ongoing problem, even if it's intermittent, perhaps there's something biomechanical in your body that just isn't made to do really heavy squats. 

I had a very similar problem with my left shoulder when I started bodybuilding and certain exercises always injured and irritated it.  Tried everything blah blah and several years later randomly found out I have a subluxed vertebra that causes a slight thoracic scoliosis and imbalance in my left shoulder.  No amount of special PT or exercises was ever going to make up for that so I had to adapt and avoid the exercises that irritated it.  Problem solved and I look better than ever.  Hard to say in your case, but very few of us have perfect bilateral symmetry, whether it's skeletal or central nervous system, and some imbalances we're just stuck with.  Hopefully you can work through your problems, but always remember that this stuff adds up over time as we age and it would suck to lose sight of the forest for the trees.  Good luck to you either way, again - hoping you can sort it out.

I apparently totally missed this.

I generally only have issues with extremely high reps- I can crank out 8 if that's all I"m doing- but when I'm doing 20- i'ts like trying to settle in for the long haul and that's wear I fidget (other than initial warm up stuff bar only)

I've been squatting for a long long time- I don't suspect (unless I've 'broken' something) that I have an issue with it. - but SOMETHING has changed in the last 2 years. The SI joint issues came I think out of training for a half AND trying to correct a shift in my pelvis- so either I was trying to compensate to avoid something- OR the physical therapy to correct it caused the SI joint issues.

I haven't had as much issues with pain lifting- most of my SI joint pain comes from sitting and walking and anything that the end of a hamstring stretch (so stiff leg deads are now an issue).

BUT- good news.  I have found a new therapist who works out of a training facility and has a former title wining powerlifter coach on staff. He just moved into the area 3 months ago- which means he wasn't there when I started looking for help.

So I have my free clinical movement assessment to try to bring my physical therapy and technique issues closer together to solve the problem- because fuck- I'm only 32- I"m not going to STOP lifting and I"m not going to live the rest of my life literally sitting in pain. NOPE NOPE NOPE.

So- onward and upward- the pursuit remains!

In other news- new programming this week for me- i'm done with 20 rep squat program WOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Also, all of the Convict Conditioning stuff can be done without equipment.
body by you
you are your own gym
strength unbound
best beginner work out- nerd fitness

all good options too.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #756 on: April 04, 2016, 09:54:49 AM »
DH and I went on a run. This doesn't happen very often, as we live in a neighborhood where people generally only run from cops or shootings. But our neighbors have friends over, and we didn't want to be "those people" by smashing weights around and grunting outside while they have company. They already think we're trashy for having a home gym. Eye roll.

Anyway, antisocial behavior aside, we did a 1 mile run at about 85% speed (definitely faster than jogging, not *quite* a full sprint), and at the half way point we stopped at a park and did pull ups (me) and muscle ups (DH) on the monkey bars. I'm already getting to where DH is doing very light help getting me up, and letting me go completely for a hold and slow negative. I did 2x5 of these, and 1x3 chin ups totally solo.

I do find it very interesting how much of a stigma against weight lifting I encounter in my life. Apparently, yoga, cycling, or running are acceptable fitness activities. Olympic weight lifting is not. DH has it worse than me though, and just gets frank rudeness as though he's some brainless meat head. I mainly get people who are fundamentally taken aback that a woman would lift "real" weights. Anyone else run into this nonsense? Is this a Portland thing, or an everywhere thing? It's like as soon as someone finds out we lift weights, we're low class and brutish.

I find this odd indeed- I've NEVER had anyone give me a hard time about it- and I'm not small my any stretch.

I'm still trying to find this mystical heavy weight that makes me bulk instantly- it's like some magical candy land room that charlie goes to and I cannot. Wildly annoying- been trying to get bulky for years- and someone has found a shortcut!!!  WHAT HAVE I BEEN WASTING ALL MY TIME TRAINING FOR THEN!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #757 on: April 04, 2016, 10:29:57 AM »
I'm off to do a 7k beach walk...just might have to check out the sea faring yoga-ists again...for, uh, scientific purposes. ;)

And this talk of bulk...my frame (think swimmer build) would make such a thing a difficult task...my best bet right now is TONED, TANNED, SYMMETRY. Getting there...

Now, off to ogle head standing SUP'ers. Chow.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #758 on: April 04, 2016, 03:11:25 PM »
I'm still trying to find this mystical heavy weight that makes me bulk instantly- it's like some magical candy land room that charlie goes to and I cannot. Wildly annoying- been trying to get bulky for years- and someone has found a shortcut!!!  WHAT HAVE I BEEN WASTING ALL MY TIME TRAINING FOR THEN!

Yep, this! I have been lifting with the goal of adding mass or "bulk" for 3 years now and no bulk yet! Lol. I've realized it is going to take a LONG time for me to get even a reasonable amount of mass and I could likely never be "bulky" unless I got some very serious...help... >_<

I get mixed opinions as far as lifting goes. I just shrug off naysayers.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #759 on: April 05, 2016, 09:37:09 AM »
Lhamo, you are much to critical of yourself. That looks pretty amazing to me...especially considering the "life things" on your plate currently.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #760 on: April 05, 2016, 12:36:34 PM »
Well, I was going to say I didn't end up working out, and just gardened instead.

Really though, a total of 5 hours, 3 of hard cleaning ground cover and then planting. All manually, with shovel/rake. Owowowowow. This is what we call functional fitness, right? Ow.

Gardening IS hard work! Especially this time of year with all the tidying, soil amending, digging, raking, etc... One of the reasons I love it :)

Yeah, that gardening? Plus some major batch cooking? I can't really use my right thumb right now. Extremely painful to try and to the "pincer grip" that is just like... basic to everything. Including typing >.< Work is gonna suck tomorrow. Probably going to have to tape it in place and wear a glove all day??? Since I won't be able to wash with the tape there. Ugh, at least I just have one patient.

Anyway, no barbell for me today =( Will probably do some air squats and job about and such. Hoping it heals up quickly, since I REALLY don't want to lose the pull up progress I was making.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #761 on: April 05, 2016, 12:40:50 PM »

Gardening IS hard work! Especially this time of year with all the tidying, soil amending, digging, raking, etc... One of the reasons I love it :)

Yeah, that gardening? Plus some major batch cooking? I can't really use my right thumb right now. Extremely painful to try and to the "pincer grip" that is just like... basic to everything. Including typing >.< Work is gonna suck tomorrow. Probably going to have to tape it in place and wear a glove all day??? Since I won't be able to wash with the tape there. Ugh, at least I just have one patient.

Anyway, no barbell for me today =( Will probably do some air squats and job about and such. Hoping it heals up quickly, since I REALLY don't want to lose the pull up progress I was making.

oh no!! what happened to your thumb? that's poopy no barbell!!! 

Do you have lifting straps?  You should be able to use them for lat pull downs and be able to continue the back work you were doing.

If you're thumb is out of commission for a long time I'd look into getting those arm things that Dana Lynn Bailey made popular- my friend smashed his thumb to pieces- and he was out of commission for 2-3 weeks but he had a show coming up- so he got the arm things to keep training his back and a few other isolations- seemed to work pretty well for him.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #762 on: April 05, 2016, 12:47:25 PM »

Do you have lifting straps?  You should be able to use them for lat pull downs and be able to continue the back work you were doing.

If you're thumb is out of commission for a long time I'd look into getting those arm things that Dana Lynn Bailey made popular- my friend smashed his thumb to pieces- and he was out of commission for 2-3 weeks but he had a show coming up- so he got the arm things to keep training his back and a few other isolations- seemed to work pretty well for him.

Hmm. We do not have lifting straps. Ironically, my husband wanted to get them, but I nixed them a couple months ago. Serves me right haha.

I think the thumb is just a stress injury right now. Removing ground cover, including grass, and prepping a 100sq ft garden bed that hasn't been used in 3 years with just a rake and a shovel... I may have overdone it, haha! Definitely feels muscular not tendon though, so I'm optimistic it'll recover quickly.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #763 on: April 05, 2016, 02:10:40 PM »

Hmm. We do not have lifting straps. Ironically, my husband wanted to get them, but I nixed them a couple months ago. Serves me right haha.

I think the thumb is just a stress injury right now. Removing ground cover, including grass, and prepping a 100sq ft garden bed that hasn't been used in 3 years with just a rake and a shovel... I may have overdone it, haha! Definitely feels muscular not tendon though, so I'm optimistic it'll recover quickly.
Oh that's not to bad- hopefully you'll be more functional in a two or three days.

I find having a set of straps lying around is useful occasionally- I don't use them often- but when I need them- I'm glad I have them!!
Jealous of your time spent outside though- it's been so nasty here in NJ- that I didn't want to go outside at all- much less be working in that weather!

jordanread

« Reply #764 on: April 05, 2016, 09:22:09 PM »

+1000 for gardening for ARMS. Keep it up BJ and soon you will be JACKED.

OMG. It's happened again.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #765 on: April 06, 2016, 06:07:10 AM »
JS, just so you know, I delight in that picture. Because those are some really nice plants, of course. =P

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #766 on: April 06, 2016, 09:04:31 AM »
JS, just so you know, I delight in that picture. Because those are some really nice plants, of course. =P

Yes, lots of comments received regarding the shapeliness of my....zucchini. ;)

In all seriousness...my fitness "odyssey" has had the effect of making things such as gardening, land clearing, choppin' wood, etc. much less of an ordeal physically....and much more fun. It is to the point now that at the end of a full day of working our island acres that there is dissapointment when the sun starts to go down....I want to KEEP GOING. I am still getting used to this STAMINA thing. :)

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #767 on: April 06, 2016, 09:39:20 AM »
Deadlifted 435 for a clean double today :)

Also hit 315 on ass to grass squats for 2 sets of 5......progress!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #768 on: April 06, 2016, 09:43:58 AM »
Deadlifted 435 for a clean double today :)

Also hit 315 on ass to grass squats for 2 sets of 5......progress!

I has a jealous.

Great job!!!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #769 on: April 06, 2016, 09:48:07 AM »
Went to class I normally like yesterday, but it was "pull conditioning" day - essentially a day of beating the crap out of my arthritic wrists and hands (rope pull-ups, TRX rowing, farmer's carry, sumo deadlifts, ball slams...) Could barely make a fist by the end of class or bend my elbow, and not in the "good but exhausted way" but in the "holy crap my hands are terrible and I just beat them up for an hour" way. I've been pretty good about modifying exercises and setting boundaries, but it was nearly impossible to do for every exercise.

So today I'm having trouble holding my phone, let alone objects like pens. Argh. Stupid arthritis. I wish that working out made you better, not worse.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #770 on: April 06, 2016, 02:49:58 PM »
In all seriousness...my fitness "odyssey" has had the effect of making things such as gardening, land clearing, choppin' wood, etc. much less of an ordeal physically....and much more fun. It is to the point now that at the end of a full day of working our island acres that there is dissapointment when the sun starts to go down....I want to KEEP GOING. I am still getting used to this STAMINA thing. :)

This is the truth. I still remember the first time lifting the cast iron dutch oven after almost a year of crossfit. It can't weigh more than 15 pounds, but I used to struggle with it so much. It feels like nothing now. I know this story sounds silly, but it was the first time I realized how awesome lifting was in relation to real life tasks.

I don't lift, but I've had similar revelations cardio wise. In my job I have a lot of days where I don't get to sit down much. I'm up, carrying things, directing people, just generally on the go. All day. Most nights I used I'd find myself with sore feet, tired legs, and just be generally exhausted. I seldom do any more, well okay, the mental exhaustion remains. :)

But I can walk several flights of stairs without huffing and puffing. I can be on my feet all day and not be sore. It's such a great feeling to just be able to do things and not have to worry about if I can or how I'll feel tomorrow.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #771 on: April 06, 2016, 03:24:43 PM »

This is the truth. I still remember the first time lifting the cast iron dutch oven after almost a year of crossfit. It can't weigh more than 15 pounds, but I used to struggle with it so much. It feels like nothing now. I know this story sounds silly, but it was the first time I realized how awesome lifting was in relation to real life tasks.

I don't lift, but I've had similar revelations cardio wise. In my job I have a lot of days where I don't get to sit down much. I'm up, carrying things, directing people, just generally on the go. All day. Most nights I used I'd find myself with sore feet, tired legs, and just be generally exhausted. I seldom do any more, well okay, the mental exhaustion remains. :)

But I can walk several flights of stairs without huffing and puffing. I can be on my feet all day and not be sore. It's such a great feeling to just be able to do things and not have to worry about if I can or how I'll feel tomorrow.
+1 I went skiing in November for the first time in two years (after starting lifting about 2 years ago). I can remember the previous ski trip huffing and puffing and getting tired from having to carry my skis around in the flat areas. I had zero issues this last time and it was very obvious to me what a difference strength and cardio training have done for me!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #772 on: April 06, 2016, 04:42:48 PM »
Hey all, new to this thread, but loving it! I hope you don't mind my first post being used to brag about my recent round of 1RMs, but I'm excited by my lifting progress and it's fun to share with people who actually care about fitness. I used to Crossfit but was frustrated with how slowly my strength was progressing so I switched to powerflifting a little over a year ago. As of this week, I am blown away by how far I've come!

Bench: 105 -> 225 (woo! I can do 1 rep NFL combine style!)
Squat: 215 -> 395
Deadlift: 305 -> 515 (o.O !!! I used to think 500 was a 5+ year away goal)

So excited to see where I am by the end of 2016!

Yes, I have become a total geek about lifting. I've been a tall skinny nerd for most of my life (now 32), so I'm definitely on board with viewing all of this through the #levelup paradigm :)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 07:39:56 PM by Lagom »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #773 on: April 06, 2016, 06:29:58 PM »
Saw this image and thought of you Bracken_Joy!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #774 on: April 06, 2016, 07:06:15 PM »
Hey all, new to this thread, but loving it! I hope you don't mind my first post on being used to brag about my recent round of 1RMs, but I'm excited by my lifting progress and it's fun to share with people who actually care about fitness. I used to Crossfit but was frustrated with how slowly my strength was progressing so I switched to powerflifting a little over a year ago. As of this week, I am blown away by the progress!

Yes, I have become a total geek about lifting. I've been a tall skinny nerd for most of my life (now 32), so I'm definitely on board with viewing all of this through the #levelup paradigm :)

Welcome! Killer progress too! I used to frequent a forum that set the strength verified badge at 300/400/500 bench/squat/deadlift. You are mighty close!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #775 on: April 06, 2016, 07:43:07 PM »
Hey all, new to this thread, but loving it! I hope you don't mind my first post being used to brag about my recent round of 1RMs, but I'm excited by my lifting progress and it's fun to share with people who actually care about fitness. I used to Crossfit but was frustrated with how slowly my strength was progressing so I switched to powerflifting a little over a year ago. As of this week, I am blown away by the progress!

Welcome! Killer progress too! I used to frequent a forum that set the strength verified badge at 300/400/500 bench/squat/deadlift. You are mighty close!

Thanks! Bench may take another year or so for me to be able to join that club, but we'll see. I'm 6'4" with longer than average arms. Great for deadlifting. Not so much for bench.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #776 on: April 06, 2016, 07:53:26 PM »
Hey all, new to this thread, but loving it! I hope you don't mind my first post being used to brag about my recent round of 1RMs, but I'm excited by my lifting progress and it's fun to share with people who actually care about fitness. I used to Crossfit but was frustrated with how slowly my strength was progressing so I switched to powerflifting a little over a year ago. As of this week, I am blown away by the progress!

Thanks! Bench may take another year or so for me to be able to join that club, but we'll see. I'm 6'4" with longer than average arms. Great for deadlifting. Not so much for bench.

I am a 5'11 female so I feel you on the long limbs! ;)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #777 on: April 07, 2016, 07:33:59 AM »
Cranked it on inclines this morning - 915 cals burned.

Is that the number the machine gave you?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #778 on: April 07, 2016, 09:11:02 AM »
I posted this "FitBit snapshot" in my Journal to help illustrate the activity level one of my adventurous Baja-days.. Only two years ago...not only could I have not done a "workout" like that...but I would have feeling the effects on my knees, back, feet...for many days after. Yes, I felt fairly exhausted after this...but somehow it was a PLEASURABLE exhaustion...my body seemed to THRUM, like the strings of an instrument...hard to explain really.

Another thing worth noting is my resting heart rate...now consistently in the low 50's. For my age group, this is considered to be that of an "athlete".

There is a rather long, steep hill in my Vancouver suburb that my wife and I would have to climb to get to our town centre. I vividly remember huffing and puffing, feeling a bit dizzy by the time we got to the crest of this hill. These days, I can charge up this thing with barely an escalation in my pulse rate. How far I have come...I have mentioned before that this has probably been the most rewarding aspect of FIRE for me. And it saddens me that I waited this long to do this.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #779 on: April 07, 2016, 11:55:33 AM »
I posted this "FitBit snapshot" in my Journal to help illustrate the activity level one of my adventurous Baja-days.. Only two years ago...not only could I have not done a "workout" like that...but I would have feeling the effects on my knees, back, feet...for many days after. Yes, I felt fairly exhausted after this...but somehow it was a PLEASURABLE exhaustion...my body seemed to THRUM, like the strings of an instrument...hard to explain really.

Another thing worth noting is my resting heart rate...now consistently in the low 50's. For my age group, this is considered to be that of an "athlete".

There is a rather long, steep hill in my Vancouver suburb that my wife and I would have to climb to get to our town centre. I vividly remember huffing and puffing, feeling a bit dizzy by the time we got to the crest of this hill. These days, I can charge up this thing with barely an escalation in my pulse rate. How far I have come...I have mentioned before that this has probably been the most rewarding aspect of FIRE for me. And it saddens me that I waited this long to do this.

Very awesome, congrats on the progress! I love my fitbit Charge HR too for data like this.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #780 on: April 07, 2016, 12:42:57 PM »
And it saddens me that I waited this long to do this.

Tell me about it! For a long time I was one of those people who constantly wished I were in shape but it was just. too. hard.

Now I constantly wonder where I would be today if I had started doing this years ago. Kind of like my debt situation that I have (finally) almost escaped! Oh well, we're all kicking butt now!

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #781 on: April 09, 2016, 06:10:11 AM »
Enjoying seeing everyone's progress. I don't have much to report - this last month was a slow one for me- I was sick a few weeks and took time off from the gym. But I'm back at it and feeling good! Onward!

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #782 on: April 10, 2016, 06:54:36 PM »
No new PRs or crazy milestones to report, but I did want to share a few short reflections based on recent experience;

1) Planning and routine is important, really important. Know what you want to do, when you want to do it, and why. If I wake up without a plan, I'll default to things that are easier, more familiar, less uncomfortable, and less challenging. Routine is a powerful force to keep one on the right path! And if I could make a plug for the crossfit sort of methodology, routinely doing non-routine work forces you to attack your weaknesses and never get too comfortable or stuck in a rut.

2) Sleep is really important for me. I was finding that on nights when I didn't get enough sleep, even if my body didn't necessarily feel slower/weaker, my motivation to push harder was certainly weaker. I might be one of those "I need 8 hours" types at least when it comes to workouts. The body uses that time to build back up and recover and that's where all the progress comes from! Neglecting this will not only hurt recovery from workouts but also diminish the motivation to attempt the challenging workouts in the first place!

Good luck out there! It's April already! The year is flying by.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #783 on: April 11, 2016, 06:01:38 AM »
I took it very easy last week, but still got in a couple short runs, a swim, a little strength work, and played racquetball.  It was a nice week, but I could tell my body was little off from the half. I haven't been this tired after a half in a while, I guess that's what happens when you actually push yourself! :)

Excited to get up back up to speed this week.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #784 on: April 11, 2016, 07:58:53 AM »
No new PRs or crazy milestones to report, but I did want to share a few short reflections based on recent experience;

1) Planning and routine is important, really important. Know what you want to do, when you want to do it, and why. If I wake up without a plan, I'll default to things that are easier, more familiar, less uncomfortable, and less challenging. Routine is a powerful force to keep one on the right path! And if I could make a plug for the crossfit sort of methodology, routinely doing non-routine work forces you to attack your weaknesses and never get too comfortable or stuck in a rut.

2) Sleep is really important for me. I was finding that on nights when I didn't get enough sleep, even if my body didn't necessarily feel slower/weaker, my motivation to push harder was certainly weaker. I might be one of those "I need 8 hours" types at least when it comes to workouts. The body uses that time to build back up and recover and that's where all the progress comes from! Neglecting this will not only hurt recovery from workouts but also diminish the motivation to attempt the challenging workouts in the first place!

Good luck out there! It's April already! The year is flying by.

Number 1 is so true. My food- my money - all the things- with no plan- I fail. miserable. I still make good choices (generally) but it just means I spend more calories and more money and my workouts are not as efficient. Even if I walk into the gym and take 2 seconds to make a plan because I did not have one- then I have a better workout.   A little planning goes a long way.

I still am working on the whole #2 issue (ha ha ha #2 jokes)- I just have a really hard time getting myself into bed at a reasonable hour. It makes a huge difference and it's one of the few things I can't seem to get a grip on.

In Other news- I am off my program- and have to begin a new one- I'm unsure as to what I want to do- so I've been winging it (speaking of plans) with my own basic push pull type split- but I think it's time to re-institute a new program. Something with more purpose than just lifting- I hate "just lifting" it doesn't make me happy.

So that's that- I've added a touch of cardio in to help drop more weight a little faster as I'm on a dead line- I'm angling for 150 by May 13th- and then I"ll iron out weight wise because I have to get fitted for my dress- so no shenanigans after June/July.

jordanread

« Reply #785 on: April 11, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
In Other news- I am off my program- and have to begin a new one- I'm unsure as to what I want to do- so I've been winging it (speaking of plans) with my own basic push pull type split- but I think it's time to re-institute a new program. Something with more purpose than just lifting- I hate "just lifting" it doesn't make me happy.

So that's that- I've added a touch of cardio in to help drop more weight a little faster as I'm on a dead line- I'm angling for 150 by May 13th- and then I"ll iron out weight wise because I have to get fitted for my dress- so no shenanigans after June/July.

If you provide a little more detail as to what you are looking for, I'm sure there would be lots of suggestions. I'm sure there are some in the resource post as well. You know I am partial to Convict Conditioning.

To that end, I wanted to share something that I recently put together. I've been meaning to do it since the beginning of the year, but I wasn't in the right headspace necessarily, nor was I motivated enough to do it. Now that motivation is a non-issue, I decided to do it early last week. Good thing I did too. With miscellaneous slacking and skipping workouts, I have butted right up to the point where I am damn near unable to complete my Journey goal. So in the first four months, I managed to skip 20% of the year's workouts. No more room for error or slacking.

A bit of explanation on what this is. I actually printed this out and put it on the fridge. Since my specific workout program (Good Behavior CC) calls for 3 days per week of working out, I split the image into 3 parts. There is one image for each week of the workout (45 or 80% as per my goals in the tracking post), and one image for each time I need to get on the slackline (20X). So each time I complete a workout, I fill in the next section. I'm not normally a paper guy, but the act of having it visible, along with the fact that I have to actually fill it in (and I use a sharpie...no going back) is a good reminder for me to do it.

I got the idea from these forums, but with debt. Can't find the initial post, but I like the concept. What do you guys think? At this part of the year, I think that keeping on things is more important. We've made our goals, and now we just need to keep on keepin on (fun fact: chrome identifies that statement, and will correct it to remove the g in the keepin, but still understands that keepin isn't a real word). I'm also going to be upping the intensity of my workouts. For a couple of weeks, possibly a month, I'm going to complete a full week's workout each of the 3 days. It might not provide me with enough time for recovery, but since I am doing very slow progressions (and still can't get the gut down enough to do a proper shoulderstand squat), my recovery needs aren't that extreme. We'll see how it goes. I do relatively well at listening to my body, so I'll ease up if necessary.

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #786 on: April 11, 2016, 09:11:26 PM »
I had an awesome fitness weekend. A great weight-room workout on Saturday, and then Sunday went for the first time to a new Yoga Studio.

Just for background- I used to practice yoga much more regularly, and started regular yoga practice in my early teens. But its been several years - maybe 8? - since I've been to more than one yoga class per year or so. So this weekend, when I went to this class it felt so familiar, and yet SO different. I feel so strong now, comparatively. I can do chataranga now, for example.

And, counter-intuitively, I am more flexible now than I was before. I've always been flexible, but it feels so good to be both strong and flexible.The stereotype is that weight-training decreases flexibility. But I've found exactly the opposite. Anyone else found the same thing?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #787 on: April 11, 2016, 09:15:18 PM »
I had an awesome fitness weekend. A great weight-room workout on Saturday, and then Sunday went for the first time to a new Yoga Studio.

Just for background- I used to practice yoga much more regularly, and started regular yoga practice in my early teens. But its been several years - maybe 8? - since I've been to more than one yoga class per year or so. So this weekend, when I went to this class it felt so familiar, and yet SO different. I feel so strong now, comparatively. I can do chataranga now, for example.

And, counter-intuitively, I am more flexible now than I was before. I've always been flexible, but it feels so good to be both strong and flexible.The stereotype is that weight-training decreases flexibility. But I've found exactly the opposite. Anyone else found the same thing?

I think it depends on the weight training. I know my squats have improved my hip flexibility- I imagine I wouldn't be too far from doing splits again, though I haven't tried lately! And DH's workouts have MASSIVELY improved his mobility and flexibility- he was pretty tight and stiff before, particularly through his ankles.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #788 on: April 12, 2016, 08:37:15 AM »

If you provide a little more detail as to what you are looking for, I'm sure there would be lots of suggestions. I'm sure there are some in the resource post as well. You know I am partial to Convict Conditioning.

To that end, I wanted to share something that I recently put together. I've been meaning to do it since the beginning of the year, but I wasn't in the right headspace necessarily, nor was I motivated enough to do it. Now that motivation is a non-issue, I decided to do it early last week. Good thing I did too. With miscellaneous slacking and skipping workouts, I have butted right up to the point where I am damn near unable to complete my Journey goal. So in the first four months, I managed to skip 20% of the year's workouts. No more room for error or slacking.

A bit of explanation on what this is. I actually printed this out and put it on the fridge. Since my specific workout program (Good Behavior CC) calls for 3 days per week of working out, I split the image into 3 parts. There is one image for each week of the workout (45 or 80% as per my goals in the tracking post), and one image for each time I need to get on the slackline (20X). So each time I complete a workout, I fill in the next section. I'm not normally a paper guy, but the act of having it visible, along with the fact that I have to actually fill it in (and I use a sharpie...no going back) is a good reminder for me to do it.

I got the idea from these forums, but with debt. Can't find the initial post, but I like the concept. What do you guys think? At this part of the year, I think that keeping on things is more important. We've made our goals, and now we just need to keep on keepin on (fun fact: chrome identifies that statement, and will correct it to remove the g in the keepin, but still understands that keepin isn't a real word). I'm also going to be upping the intensity of my workouts. For a couple of weeks, possibly a month, I'm going to complete a full week's workout each of the 3 days. It might not provide me with enough time for recovery, but since I am doing very slow progressions (and still can't get the gut down enough to do a proper shoulderstand squat), my recovery needs aren't that extreme. We'll see how it goes. I do relatively well at listening to my body, so I'll ease up if necessary.

Well that's interesting!!!   I like it- neat visual- I'd like to have one of those for my debt and or my savings- because that would help me. I'm trying to retrain my brain to work better in terms of money- it's proving more difficult than I thought.

I opted to go back to my old lifting program (Sheiko) - I run into this problem at the end of an 8 month cycle- like my year has 2 cycles- but I'm a little bit off because I have a wedding to contend with- so weight and lifting have to kind of match up with that to a certain extent- I generally plan two 12 week cycles back to back so I have a solid idea of what I'm going to be doing for 6 months. 

I ended my bulk and I am focused on dropping weight right now for the weight loss challenge- and I ended my program and didn't plan in advance a new one.   That just means I have a week of "eh what do I lift"- so I go lift- but I just usually have less focus on it- usually I'll pick a body part and go with that. like posterior chain and then chest/arms.

While I love body weight workouts designed for at home- I generally wont' do them. I need my consistency of going to the gym and my blocked off very specific hours of my day. So gym for me.

But- I went ahead and started Sheiko- which is again a 12 week program- I have added in any cardio I can get and cut my calories to 1500- with a 150 calorie over buffer (So max 1650)- so I guess I'll press forward with that and hope for the best with my numbers while I'm sitting at a much lower weight (which is well- a giant BOOOOOO cutting sucks) but eh. I'll make it. :)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #789 on: April 12, 2016, 06:55:50 PM »
Started training a bit more geared towards strength the last month. I put up 275x10 on decline bench Sunday. My previous PR was 275x10 on flat bench about 2 years ago, but I was also 215lbs vs the 195lbs I am now. I'll start going a bit heavier and less reps soon, but it seems to fall off fast in that regard.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #790 on: April 13, 2016, 01:08:38 PM »
I must say, after two weeks rain and unseasonably cool weather, I am super excited to go home and run in the sunshine today! I hope everyone else is enthused about their workouts today. If not, well, I'm a big believer in "fake it 'til you make it."

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #791 on: April 13, 2016, 04:39:25 PM »
I missed my workout on a weekday for the first time in 4.5 months yesterday, was just too tired/burnt out from traveling all weekend to do it. Went this morning at 6AM though to make it up and that was great. Tomorrow is weight training, and then I'm flying red eyes this weekend, so I'm going to have to get it together to run outside in upstate NY this weekend (is it still really cold there? I might not be prepared to run outside.)

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #792 on: April 13, 2016, 07:16:27 PM »

I think it depends on the weight training. I know my squats have improved my hip flexibility- I imagine I wouldn't be too far from doing splits again, though I haven't tried lately! And DH's workouts have MASSIVELY improved his mobility and flexibility- he was pretty tight and stiff before, particularly through his ankles.

I think you are right. I find it kind of fascinating. Yet another way that stereotypes about weightlifting/strengthtraining seem to be totally misguided.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #793 on: April 13, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
I injured my back pretty badly in Jan, and it's just now getting to where I can do any kind of activity again.  Started back up doing some pushups and pull-ups and started riding my bike again.  Crossing my fingers that nothing flares up.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #794 on: April 14, 2016, 04:07:27 PM »
My own goals are to work my arms more. They have become softer and weaker than I like over the last couple of months.
Hmmm...makes me think that the ER Wonder Twins (us) should get together for a session of bicep curls and tricep extensions. Bring the Barkinator. :)

And post photos!

As long as they follow this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRscYVvEFt8
Oh Dear God it's the '80's!!!!! Save us all!

I found a new very mustachian workout class yesterday called Boga - Beer and Yoga, Yes really. It was in a small central coast town in Calif I'm visiting and I thought I'd sign up for a class 'cause fitness is important :-)!  https://www.facebook.com/BOGAInfo

Just randomly skimming the beginnings of this thread and found this gem. I am starting my yoga teacher training in 2 months and I am so wanting to offer some niche classes. "Boga" sounds right up my alley! :D

jordanread

« Reply #795 on: April 14, 2016, 04:11:20 PM »
I injured my back pretty badly in Jan, and it's just now getting to where I can do any kind of activity again.  Started back up doing some pushups and pull-ups and started riding my bike again.  Crossing my fingers that nothing flares up.

Tyort, weren't you on the CC program for a bit? Does your back give you troubles on the earlier progressions?

My own goals are to work my arms more. They have become softer and weaker than I like over the last couple of months.
Hmmm...makes me think that the ER Wonder Twins (us) should get together for a session of bicep curls and tricep extensions. Bring the Barkinator. :)

And post photos!

As long as they follow this theme:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fRscYVvEFt8
Oh Dear God it's the '80's!!!!! Save us all!

I found a new very mustachian workout class yesterday called Boga - Beer and Yoga, Yes really. It was in a small central coast town in Calif I'm visiting and I thought I'd sign up for a class 'cause fitness is important :-)!  https://www.facebook.com/BOGAInfo

Just randomly skimming the beginnings of this thread and found this gem. I am starting my yoga teacher training in 2 months and I am so wanting to offer some niche classes. "Boga" sounds right up my alley! :D

There is all kinds of good stuff in this thread. Perusing the early comments is always fun. Also, you could do WOGA with wine, or POGA for super duper cold (Polar) yoga (nobody has done that AFAIK). Oh, my neck was giving me crap so I did a Yoga video this morning. It's not a regular part of my routine, but it was helpful.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #796 on: April 14, 2016, 04:58:15 PM »
Tyort, weren't you on the CC program for a bit? Does your back give you troubles on the earlier progressions?

I was, and things were going great.  But when you screw up you back, even the easy CC variations are off the table.  Hell, just walking was off the table for a while.  Getting back has been a slow process.

jordanread

« Reply #797 on: April 14, 2016, 05:00:00 PM »

I was, and things were going great.  But when you screw up you back, even the easy CC variations are off the table.  Hell, just walking was off the table for a while.  Getting back has been a slow process.

Ah shit. Well, feel better.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #798 on: April 15, 2016, 07:30:03 AM »
I'm super late to the party! There's still 2/3 of the 2016 left, though, so I'll sneak in a couple of goals here. Back story: I'm horribly un-stretchy. And weak. And I have awful balance. And coordination. Ok, basically I suck at all things physical. It's been made worse since I started working from home since June 2015, where I went from about 5mi/day on foot daily to about 250 steps a day. Maybe. Yeah, that bad. Therefore, I've gained about 5lbs of PURE FAT. That's probably WITH some muscle-wasting, so >5lbs of fat gained, some muscles lost, and I wasn't exactly in shape before...

Starting point:  short and 120lbs, flabby arms, flabby belly, ok legs (thank you, genes)

Realistic goals for a fitness newbie (me):
  • Flexibility: 30-60 days to splits! (link)
  • Strength: be able to do 10 push-ups
  • Strength: be able to do 10 lunges without crying
  • Cardio: be able to jog 2 miles straight or successfully pick up tennis as hobby or commit to gym with cardio classes and go 2x/week

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #799 on: April 15, 2016, 08:45:30 AM »
cai - I am in the same place as you - really starting from scratch.

I want to rejoin this thread since I really lost momentum from earlier in the year.

I started hot yoga and that will go on for another 2 weeks and I also started some strength training classes they offer at work.  It is only one day a week but for now it is fine.  It is time to lose the weight but, more importantly, strengthen and tighten everything up. 

Here are my goals:

1. Finish hot yoga in 2 weeks and feel a little bit more flexible than I do now.  I will continue with yoga and start pilates. My only goal here in general is to become more flexible and this will be a great way to do it.  When I am able to do the poses correctly, I guess I will have reached my goal.  I, at least, want to incorporate yoga daily.
2. 25 kettlebell swings in proper form.
3. Ride 5 miles on my bike without stopping

I think I can accomplish this by year end and, hopefully, more.