Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402886 times)

JoRocka

• Bristles
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #700 on: March 29, 2016, 06:54:28 AM »
wanted to share essentially the end of my program. technically it is a 6 week program - but it does have the flexibility to allow you 2 lifts a week instead of 3 to allow you to recover as the weights go up- so it's stretched out a little longer for me but this is technically the last lift- I'll attempt it one more time on Thursday to see if I can get closer to 20 reps.

I did fail. And I'm still extremely proud of the work I've done. 2 years ago- I ran this exact same program and I started at 95 pounds and worked up to 175 and failed at 175.   I felt like I was not as strong across the board and I mentally struggled much more with the work. This time around it was less mentally taxing- it was still extremely difficult and these last 4 or 5 lifts were significantly mentally challenging. But I smashed 180- and felt really solid on 185- and really the true work for me was 190, 195 and 200- and the fact I managed to add this kind of weight and still feel comfortable makes me really happy.

https://youtu.be/ayEP-f6m98I

I feel like watching this I can get more- but- my issue is getting out of the hole- which I mentally apparently struggle with- I lose all bracing through my torso and just can't hold my body up.  This program is to be run without a belt- which is good and bad- I'm a MUCH better squatter with a belt- I can hold my tension much much better (duh)- but half the point of this is to improve without it. So- no belt. But- it's a weakness and it needs work.

never the less- there you go. squatsmegee here LOL
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 06:56:06 AM by JoRocka »

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #701 on: March 29, 2016, 08:25:49 AM »
wanted to share essentially the end of my program. technically it is a 6 week program - but it does have the flexibility to allow you 2 lifts a week instead of 3 to allow you to recover as the weights go up- so it's stretched out a little longer for me but this is technically the last lift- I'll attempt it one more time on Thursday to see if I can get closer to 20 reps.

I did fail. And I'm still extremely proud of the work I've done. 2 years ago- I ran this exact same program and I started at 95 pounds and worked up to 175 and failed at 175.   I felt like I was not as strong across the board and I mentally struggled much more with the work. This time around it was less mentally taxing- it was still extremely difficult and these last 4 or 5 lifts were significantly mentally challenging. But I smashed 180- and felt really solid on 185- and really the true work for me was 190, 195 and 200- and the fact I managed to add this kind of weight and still feel comfortable makes me really happy.

I feel like watching this I can get more- but- my issue is getting out of the hole- which I mentally apparently struggle with- I lose all bracing through my torso and just can't hold my body up.  This program is to be run without a belt- which is good and bad- I'm a MUCH better squatter with a belt- I can hold my tension much much better (duh)- but half the point of this is to improve without it. So- no belt. But- it's a weakness and it needs work.

Nice work, that's some serious progress in a few years! I can't watch the video from work, so I'll check it out later today when I get home. :) I love squat videos! :D

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #702 on: March 29, 2016, 08:33:20 AM »
I finally made it back into the gym yesterday! I hit a breaking point mentally with my coach and training and just needed to walk away. I took about 2 weeks off and have transitioned to "intuitive eating" (like how normal people eat :P ) and just feel a lot happier. I was still getting in some light cardio or yoga most days but I haven't touched a weight since March 11.

My new training program started last night with a strength oriented leg day:
Squats 135x6 for 4 sets
Front Squats 75x8 for 4 sets
Barbell Lunges 65x8 for 4 sets
Barbell Hip Thrusts 95x8 for 5 sets
Rope Pull Throughs 30x8 for 5 sets
Calf Raises on Smith 90x25, 25, 25, 20, 18, 20

That's a volume PR for me on Squats! :D I had a really great glute pump going on too. The whole workout took an hour and a half.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #703 on: March 29, 2016, 10:08:25 AM »
I haven't checked in in awhile...

mostly because this ninja warrior thing has disrupted my normal training - I've stopped my normal power lifting regiment completely, just been doing crossfit and ninja warrior specific training, but neither has really easy to quantify progression standards (like - 5 reps, X pounds, compared to Y pounds last week), so it feels like there is nothing specific enough to report.

I did a practice "competition" at the Ninja Warrior gym, failed on an original obstacle by Brian Ketcsh (trampoline jump to an extra fat diameter steel trapeze bar, I'd guess about a 4inch diameter pipe).  Hurt my wrist pretty good on my second attempt at it, its been slowly getting better over the past week, I have one week left to get to 100% before the real thing.

After ANW I'll start going back to dedicated strength training (I don't want to add mass before ANW since so much of it is lifting my own bodyweight), try to bulk up for this year's Bay to Breakers, and also start running.

On the plus side, I can at least say we have been pretty consistently going to crossfit (which covers both strength and cardio) 2-3 times a week, plus my one ANW training each week means we have been keeping up with the process goals

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #704 on: March 29, 2016, 10:09:03 AM »
I finally made it back into the gym yesterday! I hit a breaking point mentally with my coach and training and just needed to walk away. I took about 2 weeks off and have transitioned to "intuitive eating" (like how normal people eat :P ) and just feel a lot happier. I was still getting in some light cardio or yoga most days but I haven't touched a weight since March 11.

Squats 135x6 for 4 sets

That's a volume PR for me on Squats! :D I had a really great glute pump going on too. The whole workout took an hour and a half.

Thank you (for the previous comment)

And welcome back to the gym after your break!!!  that's a lot of booty work especially after a 2 week hiatus!! that's awesome!   How are you feeling today?  little creaky I bet!  (I know I am from yesterdays)

I'm debating if i want to jump onto a program that does body parts- haven't done that in years- but it's so fun!!! go blast some buns with lunges and bb hip thrusts and what not- it's just SO much fun to torture yourself like that. I LOVE it.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #705 on: March 29, 2016, 11:15:43 AM »
In October I could barely swim 50 yards using breaststroke before getting tired.

Yesterday after 5 months of USMS swimming classes once a week I swam 1.43 miles (2525 yards) in 55:00!!

Yippee

Body weight is also down to the 203-204 range.

Way to go! I just started swimming last August and it's still a struggle at times. haha! I'm super impressed by your time/distance! I can usually do a (pool) mile in about an hour.

I still haven't quite grasped why the pool mile is shorter than a real mile. So I usually push a few more laps to know I got in a 'full' mile. 

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #706 on: March 29, 2016, 12:11:59 PM »

Squats 135x6 for 4 sets

And welcome back to the gym after your break!!!  that's a lot of booty work especially after a 2 week hiatus!! that's awesome!   How are you feeling today?  little creaky I bet!  (I know I am from yesterdays)

I'm debating if i want to jump onto a program that does body parts- haven't done that in years- but it's so fun!!! go blast some buns with lunges and bb hip thrusts and what not- it's just SO much fun to torture yourself like that. I LOVE it.

Booty is sore! Lol, but feels good to be back. I designed the program for both myself and my DH, I need the glute work to keep up my "figure" for bikini competitions, he needs it because he is seriously imbalanced between quad strength and glute strength and I'm hoping this will help fix his tendency to injure his back when going heavy on squats and deads.

Gotta love the bodybuilding body part splits! I've always trained that way, I am afraid to jump into some of the other training styles were you squat, bench and dead all in one day. Maybe for my next cycle?

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #707 on: March 29, 2016, 01:53:10 PM »

Squats 135x6 for 4 sets

Booty is sore! Lol, but feels good to be back. I designed the program for both myself and my DH, I need the glute work to keep up my "figure" for bikini competitions, he needs it because he is seriously imbalanced between quad strength and glute strength and I'm hoping this will help fix his tendency to injure his back when going heavy on squats and deads.

Gotta love the bodybuilding body part splits! I've always trained that way, I am afraid to jump into some of the other training styles were you squat, bench and dead all in one day. Maybe for my next cycle?

honestly- unless you're goal is driving for more strength and adding weight to the numbers- the only reason to do it would be out of boredom from what you're doing now.

the only reason I don't do splits- is because I favor powerlifting over stage competition- so my goals are more about #'s than looks (being said I am a professional bellydancer- what I look like- sort of does matter).

I like doing multiple compounds on the same day- but you never get that "burn" and you never get a pump. You just get kicked in the teeth kind of exhausted.
But I like it.

So- if you're going to keep doing stage stuff- totally "eh" LOL- Really doing one 10-12 week rotation of volume strength training will probably help you put on size and build your strength and make you feel really good going into a sculpting stage.  If you like splits- adn you're competing on the stage- I'd stick with splits.

Unless you're really bored- then do something like that because- it's sick and fun in it's own way LOL

Warlord1986

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #708 on: March 29, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »
My goal is to ride my bike early in the mornings at least three days a week. I don't go very far, a little more than 3 miles, but some of that is uphill. I like the feeling of my leg muscles when I'm done. :)

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #709 on: March 29, 2016, 04:35:27 PM »

Excellent lifting, those are quite a few reps to be pulling off in one set with that much weight.  Def something to be proud of.  My only thoughts:

1. I notice you do a fair amount of fidgeting with your legs early in your set between reps.  Maybe you don't realize you do it in the moment, but that alone is easily good for 1-2 reps worth of squat on that set.  Next time try really concentrating on eliminating any movement not associated with the squat.  The same way a runner would strive to make every stride most-efficient, right?

2. As far as your torso strength is concerned - do you do heavy straight-legged deadlifts and bent-over barbell rows?  If you integrate these as power movements for a few months I bet you'll find your spinal erectors aren't an issue going forward.  If you already do them then I recommend giving them as much attention as you're giving your squats.

jordanread

« Reply #710 on: March 29, 2016, 04:53:00 PM »
My goal is to ride my bike early in the mornings at least three days a week. I don't go very far, a little more than 3 miles, but some of that is uphill. I like the feeling of my leg muscles when I'm done. :)

Welcome to the gauntlet!! I've got you added to the tracking post.

[...]

JoRocka, way to fabulously kick ass on that program!!

I haven't checked in in awhile...

mostly because this ninja warrior thing has disrupted my normal training - I've stopped my normal power lifting regiment completely, just been doing crossfit and ninja warrior specific training, but neither has really easy to quantify progression standards (like - 5 reps, X pounds, compared to Y pounds last week), so it feels like there is nothing specific enough to report.

I did a practice "competition" at the Ninja Warrior gym, failed on an original obstacle by Brian Ketcsh (trampoline jump to an extra fat diameter steel trapeze bar, I'd guess about a 4inch diameter pipe).  Hurt my wrist pretty good on my second attempt at it, its been slowly getting better over the past week, I have one week left to get to 100% before the real thing.

Damn, that sucks. Are you able to do a pullup without the wrist giving you crap, or is it going to be hurting on the course? I usually have a show on in the background as I work, and I've gone back to Season 4 of ANW. I'm getting ridiculously excited for you to compete.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #711 on: March 29, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »

Damn, that sucks. Are you able to do a pullup without the wrist giving you crap, or is it going to be hurting on the course? I usually have a show on in the background as I work, and I've gone back to Season 4 of ANW. I'm getting ridiculously excited for you to compete.

I can do pullups.  I def. feel it, but its more like soreness than like a sharp pain.  It feels about 50% better after 1 week, so if I'm lucky I'll be at at least 90% in one more week

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #712 on: March 30, 2016, 06:40:33 AM »

Excellent lifting, those are quite a few reps to be pulling off in one set with that much weight.  Def something to be proud of.  My only thoughts:

1. I notice you do a fair amount of fidgeting with your legs early in your set between reps.  Maybe you don't realize you do it in the moment, but that alone is easily good for 1-2 reps worth of squat on that set.  Next time try really concentrating on eliminating any movement not associated with the squat.  The same way a runner would strive to make every stride most-efficient, right?

2. As far as your torso strength is concerned - do you do heavy straight-legged deadlifts and bent-over barbell rows?  If you integrate these as power movements for a few months I bet you'll find your spinal erectors aren't an issue going forward.  If you already do them then I recommend giving them as much attention as you're giving your squats.

Thank you :)

Yes- I am painfully aware of my set up- I've been trying to work to adjust a major imbalance that was causing my left hip to dip down and back at the bottom of my squat- like my right side would hit the bottom and the left kept going. It was really bad- no pain- but I knew it was going to be. I was in physical therapy for the better part of 7 months- it's better- but I'm now struggling with a clean set up (evidently) and some SI joint issues.   I actually noticed on my 195 set- I re-adjusted at the end of my first five squats and immediately felt tired- so yeppers- lost a lot out of the fussing. It's super annoying- I move my feet every so slightly right before I sit down so when I come up I feel like I need to readust.   

2.)- Yes- ISH.
I am currently doing 1 x 15 of stiff leg deadlifts-I usually pull 155-165 for those- and I can get those without my grip giving up.
I noticed I pull those crooked as well- so I'm REALLY fighting to get even.
My BB rows I do 3 x 10-15 depending on the day and how heavy (usually 115 for me without momentum pulls)

I am going to be incorporating more posterior chain work in the next rotation of programming- more single leg stuff and more glute work. It's something I tend to leave off when I'm doing all power lifting stuff- me thinks- after almost 3 years of pure power training it's time to switch to a program that addresses more imbalances and is a full body split type work rather than strength.  I'd like to get stronger but not at the risk of increasing my noticeable imbalances.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #713 on: March 30, 2016, 09:22:44 AM »
PR'd my Bench Press last night up to 110 lbs 1 RM. Was previously 105. It's all in my head, the 110 went up so easy so I took a breather and tried to go back in for 115 but I've got a sticking point about 2 inches off my chest, guess it's time to incorporate some paused benching again.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #714 on: March 30, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »
I am going to be incorporating more posterior chain work in the next rotation of programming- more single leg stuff and more glute work. It's something I tend to leave off when I'm doing all power lifting stuff- me thinks- after almost 3 years of pure power training it's time to switch to a program that addresses more imbalances and is a full body split type work rather than strength.  I'd like to get stronger but not at the risk of increasing my noticeable imbalances.
Single leg posterior chain work is my life right now. Single leg deadlifts, single leg bridges, single leg squats (w/ trx), single leg lunges (w/ trx, but Bulgarian split squats are effective too). Not only have my glutes & hammies gotten stronger, but my midline stability has improved too which reduces those pesky imbalances.

I was doing much more in PT for my inbalance till my SI joint started bothering me- and single leg stuff w/ an SI joint issue is... problematic- but the steroid shot only sort of worked- and the PT only sort of worked- so I'm just going to say fuck it and keep doing the single leg work until I can find someone who is specalizd enough to fix my mechanical issues.
Both of these things are tied together- and since the SI joint isn't going away- might as well keep working on fixing the unbalances to NOT mess my back up under load.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #715 on: March 30, 2016, 04:57:29 PM »
A few exploratory 100 metre runs on both the flat surfaced soft sand, and on the harder sloped sand in the surf zone. No Achilles discomfort. Might be good to go. The soft sand is definitely more work...but the slope of the surface zone is on quite an angle, which could be troublesome.

And I'm going to do a few drop-ins at what I thought to be a gringo-centric gym - turns out it's mostly Mexicans in there. Pretty cheap too. Not quite the setup of my northern gym, but it will serve. Need to throw some iron around before I "wither".

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #716 on: March 30, 2016, 09:41:11 PM »
The sparkly chickens are working wonders, and I haven't missed a stretch session in 3 weeks. So yay!

A proper-priced gym ($10/month) has finally opened in Vancouver, so I think I might join up. The I can continue on with my new found Zombies, Run! addiction on an elliptical. Seriously, that thing is addictive.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #717 on: March 31, 2016, 08:48:08 AM »
A few exploratory 100 metre runs on both the flat surfaced soft sand, and on the harder sloped sand in the surf zone. No Achilles discomfort. Might be good to go. The soft sand is definitely more work...but the slope of the surface zone is on quite an angle, which could be troublesome.

And I'm going to do a few drop-ins at what I thought to be a gringo-centric gym - turns out it's mostly Mexicans in there. Pretty cheap too. Not quite the setup of my northern gym, but it will serve. Need to throw some iron around before I "wither".

Iron is iron! ;) I'm sure you can modify exercises/lifts to work to your needs.

Single leg posterior chain work is my life right now. Single leg deadlifts, single leg bridges, single leg squats (w/ trx), single leg lunges (w/ trx, but Bulgarian split squats are effective too). Not only have my glutes & hammies gotten stronger, but my midline stability has improved too which reduces those pesky imbalances.

I was doing much more in PT for my inbalance till my SI joint started bothering me- and single leg stuff w/ an SI joint issue is... problematic- but the steroid shot only sort of worked- and the PT only sort of worked- so I'm just going to say fuck it and keep doing the single leg work until I can find someone who is specalizd enough to fix my mechanical issues.
Both of these things are tied together- and since the SI joint isn't going away- might as well keep working on fixing the unbalances to NOT mess my back up under load.
That doesn't sound fun. I can't believe your PT's response was to give a shot to mask the SI joint pain instead of fixing your movement. I hope it gets better soon.

I have had trouble with my SI joint too, I saw a PT that specialized in McKenzie therapy and he fixed me with only one exercise! I had reduced pain in a week and total function in about 6. I still get problems occasionally, but I just know I need to reincorporate my PT exercise again.

The sparkly chickens are working wonders, and I haven't missed a stretch session in 3 weeks. So yay!

A proper-priced gym ($10/month) has finally opened in Vancouver, so I think I might join up. The I can continue on with my new found Zombies, Run! addiction on an elliptical. Seriously, that thing is addictive.
I really like the sticker idea. I'm glad it's working! And "Zombie, Run!" is it like a game on the machine? I've heard of/seen those on rowers (fish and darts) but not on the elliptical!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #718 on: March 31, 2016, 08:49:09 AM »
Took the dogs for a nice 2ish mile walk yesterday. It was a gorgeous 75 degrees out and sunny.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #719 on: March 31, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »

I really like the sticker idea. I'm glad it's working! And "Zombie, Run!" is it like a game on the machine? I've heard of/seen those on rowers (fish and darts) but not on the elliptical!

Zombies, Run! is actually a story-based app that you can use when running, or doing other cardio - it's a zombie-apocalypse story that you progress through. You run around gathering supplies for your base, and occasionally have to outrun a horde of zombies. You use headphones, so it's actually fairly realistic - you have people from your base radioing you and stuff. I'm just starting it, but the story seems pretty cool so far. After surviving a helicopter crash, I had to locate secret CDC files in an abandoned hospital and get them to the human settlement, with a horde of zombies hot on my trail.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #720 on: March 31, 2016, 10:37:17 AM »

HOLY Crap! $10/month? Canadian? Where did you find a deal like that? That's awesome! I am so jealous.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #721 on: March 31, 2016, 10:44:42 AM »

HOLY Crap! $10/month? Canadian? Where did you find a deal like that? That's awesome! I am so jealous.

It's called "Fit4Less" and basically just a really basic gym - no classes or personal trainers, etc. But that's fine with me - I just want to outrun zombies. They're opening up quite a few of them around Canada it seems.

jordanread

« Reply #722 on: March 31, 2016, 11:56:37 AM »

Zikoris, glad you are liking that app. I have never used it on a stationary machine, only for running around the lake.

ETYL, check the resource post. It's an android app you install. Fun stuff.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #723 on: March 31, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »

Zikoris, glad you are liking that app. I have never used it on a stationary machine, only for running around the lake.

Awesome! I could use cardio motivation some days, that looks like a good one. :)

jordanread

« Reply #724 on: March 31, 2016, 12:52:48 PM »

Awesome! I could use cardio motivation some days, that looks like a good one. :)

When I said it's the only thing that makes me enjoy running, I wasn't kidding. If you turn on 'intervals' in the settings, occasional swarms of zombies approach and you have to up your speed (by 10% or something like that) or you start dropping stuff/dying.  I did it with biking for a while, but every time I needed to hurry up, I was going uphill. Grrr. Try the free version and let us know how you like it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #725 on: March 31, 2016, 01:54:26 PM »

When I said it's the only thing that makes me enjoy running, I wasn't kidding. If you turn on 'intervals' in the settings, occasional swarms of zombies approach and you have to up your speed (by 10% or something like that) or you start dropping stuff/dying.  I did it with biking for a while, but every time I needed to hurry up, I was going uphill. Grrr. Try the free version and let us know how you like it.

Outbiking zombies! I must try this. Any problems with not hearing stuff around you? I've never biked with headphones on before. I wonder if I'd still be able to hear the audio with just one in.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #726 on: March 31, 2016, 01:59:13 PM »

For others looking, Zombies, Run is also on Apple. I just finished the last mission of season 4 last night! I actually turned off the Zombie chases and use it less for an interval thing than just an enjoyable story when I run. I highly recommend to folks though if you want to listen to something besides straight music while exercising. Its a fun story and this year they have really made the missions customizable for time/length. which is nice!

jordanread

« Reply #727 on: March 31, 2016, 02:21:04 PM »

Outbiking zombies! I must try this. Any problems with not hearing stuff around you? I've never biked with headphones on before. I wonder if I'd still be able to hear the audio with just one in.

It's a great time!! That being said, you are correct. You can still hear the audio with one headphone in, and I would never suggest blocking out your hearing, especially if you are street riding. I used to do a single ear bud on trails around here. It takes a touch of practice though to get used to it. I now use a bastardized version of air tube headphones. No buds, just the tube wrapping around my ear. It takes a touch of tweaking, but it doesn't block ambient sound at all.

For others looking, Zombies, Run is also on Apple. I just finished the last mission of season 4 last night! I actually turned off the Zombie chases and use it less for an interval thing than just an enjoyable story when I run. I highly recommend to folks though if you want to listen to something besides straight music while exercising. Its a fun story and this year they have really made the missions customizable for time/length. which is nice!

Thanks for that HC. I keep forgetting that those phones exist. :)

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #728 on: March 31, 2016, 05:47:56 PM »
Thank you :)

Yes- I am painfully aware of my set up- I've been trying to work to adjust a major imbalance that was causing my left hip to dip down and back at the bottom of my squat- like my right side would hit the bottom and the left kept going. It was really bad- no pain- but I knew it was going to be. I was in physical therapy for the better part of 7 months- it's better- but I'm now struggling with a clean set up (evidently) and some SI joint issues.   I actually noticed on my 195 set- I re-adjusted at the end of my first five squats and immediately felt tired- so yeppers- lost a lot out of the fussing. It's super annoying- I move my feet every so slightly right before I sit down so when I come up I feel like I need to readust.   

2.)- Yes- ISH.
I am currently doing 1 x 15 of stiff leg deadlifts-I usually pull 155-165 for those- and I can get those without my grip giving up.
I noticed I pull those crooked as well- so I'm REALLY fighting to get even.
My BB rows I do 3 x 10-15 depending on the day and how heavy (usually 115 for me without momentum pulls)

As far as the fidgeting is concerned, if you're keeping your muscles (quads/hams/glutes) under tension at all times, even at the top-pause of your rep then you shouldn't find yourself moving things around.  Can't really tell from your vid - women tend to have more "jiggle" so it's tough to delineate fat vs. muscle movement (lol, no disrespect!).  Your feet should feel velcro'd to the floor.  The whole thing should be smooth and perfectly-controlled.  That all starts with making sure your feet are planted from the beginning of the first rep which is why I recommend visualizing Velcro on the bottom of your shoes.

I'm also wondering about your SI joint issues.  Certainly a couple posts on the internet aren't enough for me to give a good opinion, but anything that is causing you to have to go and get therapy and cortisone shots (I'm assuming that's what it was) isn't working.  If this is a long-time ongoing problem, even if it's intermittent, perhaps there's something biomechanical in your body that just isn't made to do really heavy squats. 

I had a very similar problem with my left shoulder when I started bodybuilding and certain exercises always injured and irritated it.  Tried everything blah blah and several years later randomly found out I have a subluxed vertebra that causes a slight thoracic scoliosis and imbalance in my left shoulder.  No amount of special PT or exercises was ever going to make up for that so I had to adapt and avoid the exercises that irritated it.  Problem solved and I look better than ever.  Hard to say in your case, but very few of us have perfect bilateral symmetry, whether it's skeletal or central nervous system, and some imbalances we're just stuck with.  Hopefully you can work through your problems, but always remember that this stuff adds up over time as we age and it would suck to lose sight of the forest for the trees.  Good luck to you either way, again - hoping you can sort it out.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #729 on: April 01, 2016, 08:39:42 AM »

I'm not going to lie- I'm mildly offended by this.   

jordanread

« Reply #730 on: April 01, 2016, 09:05:55 AM »

Ha ha. He is in mexico, and initially thought the gym was very much all touristy (for gringos), and was thinking more along the lines of finding one that locals (Mexicans) use. He was mistaken in his assumption and got mostly what he wanted. It's not worth the energy to be mildly offended (oh, and he's Canadian, so I'm sure that he will apologize for it not coming across politely).

Unless you are Canadian, in which case what I just said was intentionally stereotypical, which is worth getting mildly offended over. But then remember I smile as I type it.

Not related, but I did think of you JoRocka. Something odd happened yesterday, and once I wrapped my head around it, the only thing I could think is that it would totally qualify as 'being fabulous'. And gave me additional motivation to ensure that I kick ass this year. It's all vanity based, but since that's a common side effect of working out, I'm fine with it. Spartana and I were chatting, and when I revisit New Orleans, I'm now committed to taking photos of myself in my old stripper clothes. It would not be pretty currently, so in the interest of sparing people grossness, that's a new motivation to keep on keeping on. Does shaved legs and a g-string qualify as fabulous?

If that's TMI, I apologize thread (photos will not be posted here). :)

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #731 on: April 01, 2016, 09:37:16 AM »

Ha ha. He is in mexico, and initially thought the gym was very much all touristy (for gringos), and was thinking more along the lines of finding one that locals (Mexicans) use. He was mistaken in his assumption and got mostly what he wanted. It's not worth the energy to be mildly offended (oh, and he's Canadian, so I'm sure that he will apologize for it not coming across politely).

Unless you are Canadian, in which case what I just said was intentionally stereotypical, which is worth getting mildly offended over. But then remember I smile as I type it.

Not related, but I did think of you JoRocka. Something odd happened yesterday, and once I wrapped my head around it, the only thing I could think is that it would totally qualify as 'being fabulous'. And gave me additional motivation to ensure that I kick ass this year. It's all vanity based, but since that's a common side effect of working out, I'm fine with it. Spartana and I were chatting, and when I revisit New Orleans, I'm now committed to taking photos of myself in my old stripper clothes. It would not be pretty currently, so in the interest of sparing people grossness, that's a new motivation to keep on keeping on. Does shaved legs and a g-string qualify as fabulous?

I'm excited, and that is motivation indeed. That is how I managed to get strict and committed to my goals, signing up for a bikini competition and knowing that I'd be walking on stage in front of hundreds of people and be blasted all over the internet... ;)

So, do you have a deadline (because that is very motivating) and do you have a plan? Have you started weight lifting yet?

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #732 on: April 01, 2016, 09:38:15 AM »

Okay- that makes WAY more sense.  I grew up in SoCal- and I go to a gym now in NJ that is a heavily bilingual (a lot of Tagalog and Spanish spoken)- I guess more "off putting" would have made sense- I just never felt like I needed to describe a gym with any ethnicity- which is why I was kind of off put... but that makes total sense.  Thank you for clearing it up.  I'm not usually "offended" it just seemed a really really odd way to describe a gym.

on to your second comment. YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSS GIRL YASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

a little vanity is okay- (I'm all about dem booty gainz purely b/c I'm a bellydancer and moar booty is moar better)- so YES- EFFING FABULOUS is a goal- and that's an awesome new goal!!! I LOVE IT!!!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #733 on: April 01, 2016, 09:55:12 AM »

partana and I were chatting, and when I revisit New Orleans, I'm now committed to taking photos of myself in my old stripper clothes. It would not be pretty currently, so in the interest of sparing people grossness, that's a new motivation to keep on keeping on. Does shaved legs and a g-string qualify as fabulous?

Jordan, I love this challenge. I'm not entirely sure I could be up for it myself, being a good 8 years out of my stripper shape...but maybe it's time I consider this challenge...

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #734 on: April 01, 2016, 10:00:34 AM »
Checking in:
  • Complete a 5K run
Running another one in a week.  The Insane Inflatables one where there's an obstacle course involved.  I was thinking of doing a mud run but they were both too close together.  Maybe next time.  But I'm training for a 10k, so put Complete a 10k and Complete a 5k under 30 minutes on my goals.

• 1 set/5 pullup (Stretch: 1set/>10 pullups)
I can do 4.  I should be working harder on this though.

• Drop weight to 145lbs
Current weight: 157lbs.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:01:22 AM by RonMcCord »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #735 on: April 01, 2016, 10:01:37 AM »
Lol...thanks for clearing that up JR.

Enjoyed the gym very much...actually a very nice mix of tourists and locals (better terminology than gringos and Mexicans?). ;) Big open windows at the front let a sea-tinged breeze waft through...a nice change from the oppressive chlorine fumes at my home gym.

Took a break from running today...because my first beach run is tomorrow. *GULP*

jordanread

« Reply #736 on: April 01, 2016, 10:15:54 AM »
I'll reply to everyone else in a few minutes.

Lol...thanks for clearing that up JR.

Enjoyed the gym very much...actually a very nice mix of tourists and locals (better terminology than gringos and Mexicans?). ;) Big open windows at the front let a sea-tinged breeze waft through...a nice change from the oppressive chlorine fumes at my home gym.

Took a break from running today...because my first beach run is tomorrow. *GULP*

Are you going to do the packed wet sand or the loose stuff that makes running suck even more? I mean, I suppose those are not necessarily mutually exclusive since they are literally right next to each other sometimes, but I was curious. And are you doing shoes or barefoot?

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #737 on: April 01, 2016, 10:18:25 AM »
I'm jealous of your beach running- I don't like the beach that much- but I DO like beach running!!!

jordanread

« Reply #738 on: April 01, 2016, 12:27:19 PM »
So, do you have a deadline (because that is very motivating) and do you have a plan? Have you started weight lifting yet?

No deadline, as the NOLA trip isn't even in the early planning stages yet. Just on the list. My plan is actually just the same as it has been. Progress through bodyweight exercises, and hope that by the end of the year, I'll have to start getting creative when it comes to creating additional resistance (which will involve flexibility and awesome body control). I don't have any desire to lift weights specifically, for reasons I laid out earlier in this thread. I'm not worried about being all super-huge, but I want to be ridiculously functional. The sexiness will come with that. I've never been ripped, but was a touch smaller when I did dance. Starting a bit tubbier will make the transformation more dramatic, but based on this article, even starting more fit grants impressive visual results. Here is the picture:

a little vanity is okay- (I'm all about dem booty gainz purely b/c I'm a bellydancer and moar booty is moar better)- so YES- EFFING FABULOUS is a goal- and that's an awesome new goal!!! I LOVE IT!!!

Glad it counts, although I probably won't put it as an official goal.

Jordan, I love this challenge. I'm not entirely sure I could be up for it myself, being a good 8 years out of my stripper shape...but maybe it's time I consider this challenge...

I stripped like 10 years ago (and only for a week or two), so I feel you there. And it's fun when other people challenge you, and you just accept. And then, "OHMYGODHOLYSHITWHATHAVEIDONE?". And then move forward.

Checking in:
  • Complete a 5K run
Running another one in a week.  The Insane Inflatables one where there's an obstacle course involved.  I was thinking of doing a mud run but they were both too close together.  Maybe next time.  But I'm training for a 10k, so put Complete a 10k and Complete a 5k under 30 minutes on my goals.

• 1 set/5 pullup (Stretch: 1set/>10 pullups)
I can do 4.  I should be working harder on this though.

• Drop weight to 145lbs
Current weight: 157lbs.

I've got your new 5K time goal added as a stretch to the already completed 5K goal and added the 10K as a new goal in the tracking post. Congrats on your success so far. You are rocking it.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #739 on: April 01, 2016, 11:13:15 PM »
Update: We joined the cheap gym. Including taxes and "joining fees", it was $364 for both of us for a year, which is fine. Next year there won't be joining fees, so it will be much less. Looking forward to doing zombie runs on elliptical, and they have a pretty good stretching area for my splitsing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #740 on: April 02, 2016, 02:54:17 PM »
DH and I went on a run. This doesn't happen very often, as we live in a neighborhood where people generally only run from cops or shootings. But our neighbors have friends over, and we didn't want to be "those people" by smashing weights around and grunting outside while they have company. They already think we're trashy for having a home gym. Eye roll.

Anyway, antisocial behavior aside, we did a 1 mile run at about 85% speed (definitely faster than jogging, not *quite* a full sprint), and at the half way point we stopped at a park and did pull ups (me) and muscle ups (DH) on the monkey bars. I'm already getting to where DH is doing very light help getting me up, and letting me go completely for a hold and slow negative. I did 2x5 of these, and 1x3 chin ups totally solo.

I do find it very interesting how much of a stigma against weight lifting I encounter in my life. Apparently, yoga, cycling, or running are acceptable fitness activities. Olympic weight lifting is not. DH has it worse than me though, and just gets frank rudeness as though he's some brainless meat head. I mainly get people who are fundamentally taken aback that a woman would lift "real" weights. Anyone else run into this nonsense? Is this a Portland thing, or an everywhere thing? It's like as soon as someone finds out we lift weights, we're low class and brutish.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #741 on: April 02, 2016, 03:08:46 PM »
I mainly get people who are fundamentally taken aback that a woman would lift "real" weights. Anyone else run into this nonsense? Is this a Portland thing, or an everywhere thing? It's like as soon as someone finds out we lift weights, we're low class and brutish.

I get it all the time! I'm also in Portland, but there's the "oh but you're not bulky" or "why would you do that? It's bad for you."

Whereass figure skating, which is infinitely more dangerous and actually way more sexist, people think is cool. (Granted I'm much more talented at figure skating than lifting, but whatever.)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #742 on: April 02, 2016, 03:32:28 PM »
I mainly get people who are fundamentally taken aback that a woman would lift "real" weights. Anyone else run into this nonsense? Is this a Portland thing, or an everywhere thing? It's like as soon as someone finds out we lift weights, we're low class and brutish.

I get it all the time! I'm also in Portland, but there's the "oh but you're not bulky" or "why would you do that? It's bad for you."

Whereass figure skating, which is infinitely more dangerous and actually way more sexist, people think is cool. (Granted I'm much more talented at figure skating than lifting, but whatever.)

Ughhhhhhh oh my god the "it's bad for you". The number of times my FIL has said "but muscle turns into fat when you get old". He literally refuses to believe that weight lifting isn't bad for your heart and turns into fat. Of course, the man also hates coffee, because it looks like coal dust, so OBVIOUSLY it is bad for your lungs. I'll go all white girl on this and say: #can'teven

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #743 on: April 03, 2016, 07:29:00 AM »
I tried to channel some slo-mo Baywatch vibes as I ran the beach yesterday...but I don't think I pulled it off. As expected, that shit was HARD. Whereas I have an easy, long running stride on the pavement, running in the sand results in an inglorious "shuffle"....I had the sense that if I tried to lengthen my stride my Achilles may have been torn asunder again. But I did manage to get 5k in. And as expected, my legs are quite sore this morning of the day after...clearly different muscles are activated running in the sand. And to answer you earlier question JR...I alternated between the sloping, hard packed sand of the surf zone, and the flat surfaced, soft sand.

Here is a scene from my beach run of yesterday. As with most days, I was pretty much alone out here.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #744 on: April 03, 2016, 09:11:50 AM »
DH and I went on a run. This doesn't happen very often, as we live in a neighborhood where people generally only run from cops or shootings. But our neighbors have friends over, and we didn't want to be "those people" by smashing weights around and grunting outside while they have company. They already think we're trashy for having a home gym. Eye roll.

How funny, that you live in apparently not the greatest neighborhood, but working out at home makes YOU the trashy ones?

do find it very interesting how much of a stigma against weight lifting I encounter in my life. Apparently, yoga, cycling, or running are acceptable fitness activities. Olympic weight lifting is not. DH has it worse than me though, and just gets frank rudeness as though he's some brainless meat head. I mainly get people who are fundamentally taken aback that a woman would lift "real" weights. Anyone else run into this nonsense? Is this a Portland thing, or an everywhere thing? It's like as soon as someone finds out we lift weights, we're low class and brutish.

I'm actually really surprised by that, given the rise of CrossFit, and how Portland is towards the forefront of most trends.  If women I know here lift, I'm not aware of it, but I've never gotten any negativity about it.  I go to a small gym in a nice, very suburban white-bread part of Boise and there are a few women there who lift much more seriously than me.  A couple are trainers, a couple come in with alone, or with SO's or friends.  Occasionally I will pay a day fee to use a gym when I'm traveling and I'm usually the only woman in the free weights section.  Never encounter any negativity about it, and just enjoy the little private feeling of badassity.

If you actually care about their opinions and perceptions, you could point out the necessity of weight-bearing exercise to prevent age-related muscle wasting.  Or you could just laugh and walk away.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #745 on: April 03, 2016, 09:33:03 AM »

How funny, that you live in apparently not the greatest neighborhood, but working out at home makes YOU the trashy ones?

do find it very interesting how much of a stigma against weight lifting I encounter in my life. Apparently, yoga, cycling, or running are acceptable fitness activities. Olympic weight lifting is not. DH has it worse than me though, and just gets frank rudeness as though he's some brainless meat head. I mainly get people who are fundamentally taken aback that a woman would lift "real" weights. Anyone else run into this nonsense? Is this a Portland thing, or an everywhere thing? It's like as soon as someone finds out we lift weights, we're low class and brutish.

I'm actually really surprised by that, given the rise of CrossFit, and how Portland is towards the forefront of most trends.  If women I know here lift, I'm not aware of it, but I've never gotten any negativity about it.  I go to a small gym in a nice, very suburban white-bread part of Boise and there are a few women there who lift much more seriously than me.  A couple are trainers, a couple come in with alone, or with SO's or friends.  Occasionally I will pay a day fee to use a gym when I'm traveling and I'm usually the only woman in the free weights section.  Never encounter any negativity about it, and just enjoy the little private feeling of badassity.

If you actually care about their opinions and perceptions, you could point out the necessity of weight-bearing exercise to prevent age-related muscle wasting.  Or you could just laugh and walk away.

Yeah, it fairly amazes me. We only work out between 10am-4pm, to make sure not to bother people. We're not in view of the street or anything anyway. And the neighbors who particularly give us the stink eye? Have a dog that sits outside and barks all day. Incredible, really. I try to just let it go, though, as they're good neighbors otherwise.

It was different when we lived across the river, in the greater downtown area. Much more accepting, our gym had lots of women who lifted very seriously. A couple who could even outlift DH, lol.

Near as I can tell, I think partially it's that Portland is really uneasy with anything that can be viewed as 'aggressive'... People here tend to be a bit more 'gentle' than I've encountered elsewhere, although that could just be that it's a city.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #746 on: April 03, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »
At the half way point of my beach run route, I encountered something which initially had me sneering. Was I really seeing this....is this a THING? Yoga on stand up paddleboards? My run took a backseat for a bit...I admit to becoming somewhat transfixed by it all. Some very fit bodies out there too. ;)

Then I saw something else which completely erased any previous skepticism I may have been feeling. Wow.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #747 on: April 03, 2016, 11:19:53 AM »
At the half way point of my beach run route, I encountered something which initially had me sneering. Was I really seeing this....is this a THING? Yoga on stand up paddleboards? My run took a backseat for a bit...I admit to becoming somewhat transfixed by it all. Some very fit bodies out there too. ;)

Then I saw something else which completely erased any previous skepticism I may have been feeling. Wow.

This is definitely a thing. I can confirm. I see it when I'm kayaking on the Willamette river (river that runs through downtown portland -among other places) and it baffles me/transfixes me as well.

jordanread

« Reply #748 on: April 03, 2016, 02:45:04 PM »
[...]
[...]

Yeah, the place where the SO got her dive certification does SUP Yoga classes. Once I actually start doing yoga, I've put that on my list. The core strength required to do yoga is incredible, and the core strength required to not fall over is pretty incredible as well. Combining them? Any success would result in an immediate six-pack I think. Or vomit.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #749 on: April 03, 2016, 05:43:57 PM »
Bloody hell, that's impressive! I have enough trouble with just the SU part of SUP, there's no way I'd stay dry if I tried to put any fancy stuff in there.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!