Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402879 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #650 on: March 17, 2016, 02:27:21 PM »
Is it infrapatellar or suprapatellar tendinitis?

Good question! It's below the kneecap - as in towards the foot, not behind it, so I would potentially say infrapatellar?

Unfortunately though it's tendonosis rather than tendonitis.

Well, I fucked that one up. I'll fix the tracking post to reflect accurately. Shoot, now google is telling me I spelled it wrong. Tendonosis is 'tendinosis' which means chronic tendinitis...that means I was wrong on like 3 levels of spelling. 

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #651 on: March 18, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »
Is it infrapatellar or suprapatellar tendinitis?

Good question! It's below the kneecap - as in towards the foot, not behind it, so I would potentially say infrapatellar?

Unfortunately though it's tendonosis rather than tendonitis.

Well, I fucked that one up. I'll fix the tracking post to reflect accurately. Shoot, now google is telling me I spelled it wrong. Tendonosis is 'tendinosis' which means chronic tendinitis...that means I was wrong on like 3 levels of spelling.

Ah thank you. I wouldn't worry about the misspelling, apparently I can't even get it right and I'm the one with the 'condishun'.

Really though, tendonitis and tendinosis? I'm sure there is some Latin reason why one has an 'i' and the other an 'o' but it's bloody annoying.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #652 on: March 18, 2016, 11:25:39 PM »
490km left to go in my 2016 kayaking challenge. :)

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #653 on: March 19, 2016, 06:22:57 AM »
Great thread, fun to see other's progress and goals!

I made a New Year's Resolution, so why not some public accountability?

Goals:
1000 Pound Club (sum of 1RM for bench press, deadlift, and back squat)
Complete handstand pushup

I would like to reach this goal while preserving a <17 minute 3-mile-run! Will see if this proves tenable or not. I have never been on any real kind of strength program before. I have embarked on this journey to try out something new and give myself a challenge. I think I have a lean body type so I am curious if I can add significant strength without putting on a ton of weight (currently 5'9" and 155 lbs).  I am breaking the mold of my usual routine of Crossfit WODs / functional movements / bodyweight exercises / joyful self-hazing...along with bicycle commuting and riding which I love.

Plan is roughly based on four day cycles (each work day reliably includes dynamic warmup, bodyweight circuit of pushup-squat-pullup-dip-situp to get loose, and about 20 mins of endurance whether running or bicycle commuting or otherwise)

Day 1: Destroy arms (overhead bar, bench, overhead kettlebells, clean and press kettlebells, hand release pushup, hand release clapping pushup, etc.)
Day 2: Destroy legs (back squat, front squat, leg press, weighted walking lunges, 5k run
Day 3: Some cruel combination of a popular Crossfit WOD or three sets of max reps of bodyweight circuit, 20 mins on the Erg
Day 4: Rest / Easy Endurance
*repeat*

Once a month, take a couple consecutive easy rest days to set up a testing day for the three major lifts and track progress! Need to stay accountable for the upcoming test on April 1!

I think handstand pushups (and handstands in general) are super badass, especially because I was that kid growing up who couldn't make a cartwheel look good to save his life.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 06:26:05 AM by Abel »

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #654 on: March 20, 2016, 09:26:11 AM »
[...]
  • Decrease body fat by >= 2% I'm having a hard time setting a baseline for this goal, and figuring out how I want to measure it. I don't know anyone who can do an accurate body fat measurement with calipers. I've tried going by photos, but I'm not feeling very confident about my estimates. Any advice?
[...]

Based on this question, I just found something I'm going to add to the resource post, but I'll post it here. It seems like a useful method to get a rough sense of body fat without anything but a scale and a measuring tape.

How to Measure Body Fat Without Calipers

Here are the basic steps (calculations require imperial units - inches and lbs):

• Take body measurements in inches
  • Weigh yourself in pounds
  • Determine lean body weight.
    Men: (1.082 * weight) - (4.15 * waist measurement) + 94.42;
    Women: (.732 * weight) - (.157 * waist measurement) - (.249 * hip measurement) + (.434 * forearm measurement) + (wrist measurement/3.14) + 8.987
  • (Weight - lean weight) / weight * 100

Thanks Jordanread! I will give this a try.

This week was a relatively good one- two sessions at the gym and some progress on my lifting goals. Hoping to get outside today. Maybe I'll even try a run.
  • Goal: 1 set/1 squats 160lbs- Current max: 3 sets of 5 at 125lbs (calculated 149 one rep max)
  • Goal: 1set/1 bench press 103lbs- Current max: 3 sets of 5 reps at 90lbs (calculated 103 one rep max!) Done! In theory at least. I have never done an actual test of my one rep max. I've been using some online calculators to calculate an estimate based on what I've been lifting for multiple reps. Any thoughts on how to go about actually testing my one-rep max? Do I just put the weight on there and go for it? Seems simple enough...
  • Goal: 1 set/1 deadlifts 198lbs- Current max: 3 sets of 5 reps at 125lbs (calculated 145 one rep max)

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #655 on: March 20, 2016, 10:21:02 AM »
Been a few weeks since I posted in here, I've been busy moving and with work, but I'm pretty much settled in now.  I also really like the new gym.  It's the first civilian gym I've ever been to, and that's pretty good for the confidence haha.

Regarding my goals, almost 25% through the year..

3 sets/5 deadlifts 350lbs

I'm currently able to do 3x5 with 245lbs, up from 185 when I started.  I figure I'll be able to increase by 10lbs for a few more weeks, and then drop it down to 5lb increments.  A few years ago I got up to 335 for 3 reps, but then injured my shoulder doing overhead press and stopped going to the gym regularly.  Looking forward to crushing my old record by the end of the year with some dedication.

3 sets/10 weighted dips 60lbs

I started with being able to do 8 dips un-weighted, and I'm up to 3x8 weighted dips with 10lbs added, and will be increasing to 15lbs this Wednesday.

3 sets/10 weighted chin ups 30lbs

I could only get 1 chin up back in January, and once I reached 3x7 (clean repetitions, no kipping) I started adding weight, and I'm currently at 3x4 with 10lbs added

Weight 195lbs (gain muscle)

Started this year at 170lbs, and am up to 181lbs nearly three months in.  Weight is coming slower now, as I need to eat more calories to maintain as I gain more muscle.  I'm definitely pleased with the results though.  I visited home a couple weeks ago for the first time in a year or so, and after church one day several people who hadn't seen me in a while told me I was looking great and commented on my physique through my button up shirt. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #656 on: March 20, 2016, 02:11:48 PM »
I went 12 days without working out. Admittedly, I worked like 9 of those (13-16hrs each day), but still. That sucked. A lot. But I worked out today finally!

Warmup: little bit of technique work
Squat: front squat, 95lbs (tied my current best), for 5x1
DL: none
OH: 75lbs Power clean and jerk, 10x1
Metcon loop: DH likes to Fran himself, so he came up with a fran inspited torture for me. It's 21/15/9 of kettlebell swings and OH press. Kettlebell (16kg) and just bar (45lbs). I did it in 6min43sec.
99% sure I will be paralyzed tomorrow.

I also remembered to get those action shots! Unfortunately, on the first one, DH didn't realize I was trying to show that I had achieved front rack position, so most of me is obscured by a weight:

Here is the pointy, point elbow view:

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #657 on: March 21, 2016, 12:33:46 AM »
Bracken_Joy, do I spy a DIY squat rack in your photos? Wondering if you've posted about it before or shared other photos. I had some design ideas for one of my own and I'd be curious to see your setup.

jordanread

« Reply #658 on: March 21, 2016, 06:29:08 AM »
Bracken_Joy, do I spy a DIY squat rack in your photos? Wondering if you've posted about it before or shared other photos. I had some design ideas for one of my own and I'd be curious to see your setup.

You know, I knew someone posted something about a DIY squat rack. So this morning I spent an inordinate amount of time looking for it in the What Small Things... thread. Now that I found it, I realized it was freaking Bracken_Joy who posted it!!

I'll take down the quote if you do it differently Bracken!!

DIY squat rack! Well, not a rack per se, but a stand. This rounds out our current home gym projects- we can do all the olympic lifts now in our garage! So two aspects of money savings- 1, we didn't buy a pre-made squat rack ($$$), and 2- we're not paying for gym memberships (which then also saves gas, as we're not walking distance to a gym).

Oh, more details please, I'd love to have a go at a DIY squat rack.

What we didn't isn't too fancy. We don't have enough space for a full squat stand, so we did a bucket system so that we can move them as needed.

Basically this:
http://www.endofthreefitness.com/crossfit-equipment-homemade-squat-bench-press-stand/ Although we didn't include the bench press height board.

You can do a stand, too, but it's a bit more materials intensive. All told, we spent like $36 on this. Biggest challenge was getting the boards to stay upright, because the base of our buckets weren't perfectly even. We ended up drilling a crossbrace at the top of the bucket, and for side to side wobble, I held while DH painstakingly shoveled in individual scoops to spread. Annoying, but damn if our stands are not perfectly level.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #659 on: March 21, 2016, 08:59:39 AM »
I went 12 days without working out. Admittedly, I worked like 9 of those (13-16hrs each day), but still. That sucked. A lot. But I worked out today finally!

Warmup: little bit of technique work
Squat: front squat, 95lbs (tied my current best), for 5x1
DL: none
OH: 75lbs Power clean and jerk, 10x1
Metcon loop: DH likes to Fran himself, so he came up with a fran inspited torture for me. It's 21/15/9 of kettlebell swings and OH press. Kettlebell (16kg) and just bar (45lbs). I did it in 6min43sec.
99% sure I will be paralyzed tomorrow.

I also remembered to get those action shots! Unfortunately, on the first one, DH didn't realize I was trying to show that I had achieved front rack position, so most of me is obscured by a weight:

Nice job on the front rack! And that's an awesome Fran time!

Goals:
1000 Pound Club (sum of 1RM for bench press, deadlift, and back squat) (March 1, 2016: #775  (205 / 315 / 225))

I would like to reach this goal while preserving a <17 minute 3-mile-run! Will see if this proves tenable or not. I have never been on any real kind of strength program before. I have embarked on this journey to try out something new and give myself a challenge. I think I have a lean body type so I am curious if I can add significant strength without putting on a ton of weight (currently 5'9" and 155 lbs).  I am breaking the mold of my usual routine of Crossfit WODs / functional movements / bodyweight exercises / joyful self-hazing...along with bicycle commuting and riding which I love.

Plan is roughly based on four day cycles (each work day reliably includes dynamic warmup, bodyweight circuit of pushup-squat-pullup-dip-situp to get loose, and about 20 mins of endurance whether running or bicycle commuting or otherwise)

Day 1: Destroy arms (overhead bar, bench, overhead kettlebells, clean and press kettlebells, hand release pushup, hand release clapping pushup, etc.)
Day 2: Destroy legs (back squat, front squat, leg press, weighted walking lunges, 5k run
Day 3: Some cruel combination of a popular Crossfit WOD or three sets of max reps of bodyweight circuit, 20 mins on the Erg
Day 4: Rest / Easy Endurance
*repeat*

Once a month, take a couple consecutive easy rest days to set up a testing day for the three major lifts and track progress! Need to stay accountable for the upcoming test on April 1!

I think handstand pushups (and handstands in general) are super badass, especially because I was that kid growing up who couldn't make a cartwheel look good to save his life.

Have you ever read about Alex Viada? I've heard him called "the unicorn" he's an ultra-marathoner with a 700lb squat. He has his own training program and I'm sure you can find plenty on a google search.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #660 on: March 21, 2016, 09:00:23 AM »
Wow! Good sleuthing Jordan! That is indeed exactly how we did it. We added the cross braces at the top of the bucket just to ensure it would all dry straight, but kept them on because I prefer going from a hip height for my presses to adjust my hands- and that's easier that pulling from the ground. It's not really structural though, and only use it for bar only.

And we have been abusing it since November and it's holding up great. I'm the minor usage on it. DH squats 315, so I think that's the limit we've put up there. And he works out 4-7x/wk. We also roll them away and roll them out every time we work out. I am super impressed by the durability of these things. We did not spring for spendy lumber either. And they're stored in our carport- so covered area, but definitely still open to the air, and they get wet if there's a rainstorm. Again, I've been really impressed. They're still totally tight like they are new. I did a zig zag pattern on the screws- I think we did 5 per vertical, then offset for the third board, since we used long screws.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #661 on: March 21, 2016, 09:01:14 AM »
I finally got to the roller skating rink this weekend! I'm glad I went to the rink before trying again outdoors, because I realized my muscles are not at all used to this movement. It took me a couple of circuits of the rink to get my feet moving correctly, and now I know what I'm doing, but it's hard work. I am sore in the strangest of places. Can't wait to get back there!

I'm also keeping up with my walking plan.

jordanread

« Reply #662 on: March 21, 2016, 09:20:52 AM »
Wow! Good sleuthing Jordan! That is indeed exactly how we did it. We added the cross braces at the top of the bucket just to ensure it would all dry straight, but kept them on because I prefer going from a hip height for my presses to adjust my hands- and that's easier that pulling from the ground. It's not really structural though, and only use it for bar only.

Actually, my sleuthing was a bit slow, but my memory is still intact. It's awesome to see it in action, and I thought it was great that you were the one who posted it!!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #663 on: March 21, 2016, 10:41:40 AM »
So- We had a huge dance event this weekend- so I was wrapped up in sewing costumes for people (SIDE HUSTLE WUUUT!!!)...
so I made do at the toga party to make sure I got my squats in...

https://youtu.be/3eoyBPDx608

This was Thursday- This is 185 for me- it's the most I've ever squatting 185- and technically have 3 more lifts doing 1 x 20- so 190, 195 and 200 and then that will be the end of my programming before I move on to something else.

https://youtu.be/Q6DRLST_5_c

If I hit 200 for 1 x 20- I will consider myself briefly a god among men- for it will be one of my more bad ass moments of squatting ever before I move on to squatting 250+ HELLO 315 squat- where you at!!!

so- anyway- touching base- being awesome- kicking ass.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #664 on: March 21, 2016, 11:19:38 AM »
So- We had a huge dance event this weekend- so I was wrapped up in sewing costumes for people (SIDE HUSTLE WUUUT!!!)...

This was Thursday- This is 185 for me- it's the most I've ever squatting 185- and technically have 3 more lifts doing 1 x 20- so 190, 195 and 200 and then that will be the end of my programming before I move on to something else.

If I hit 200 for 1 x 20- I will consider myself briefly a god among men- for it will be one of my more bad ass moments of squatting ever before I move on to squatting 250+ HELLO 315 squat- where you at!!!

I think I want to be your friend, a lot. That video was rad.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #665 on: March 21, 2016, 12:09:07 PM »

I think I want to be your friend, a lot. That video was rad.

I like friends. and monsters.... so yes- let us- be friends!!!

<also- thank you> :)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #666 on: March 21, 2016, 12:17:19 PM »

What's your max squat now? For that many reps at 185 if think you should hit 250 no problem. Great job and great form.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #667 on: March 21, 2016, 12:44:07 PM »

What's your max squat now? For that many reps at 185 if think you should hit 250 no problem. Great job and great form.

Clean 245- dirty 250.
This is the 20 rep squat breathing program- idea is you take your 5 rep max and you go 90 pounds off that (so 6 weeks- 3 lifts a week- adding 5 pounds a lift- = 90 pounds) and you start there.
So I took 200 pounds- and subtracted 90.
Started at 110 and at 185- I'm almost to the 200- half the goal is to get big- the other half is to increase your base lifting so you're just over all stronger- so last time- I ended at 175 and that was it- I failed after that- so the fact I've made it successful to 185 is a real accomplishment for me and should indeed mean- my 250 squat will be MUCH more solid now.

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #668 on: March 22, 2016, 08:30:08 AM »
Have you ever read about Alex Viada? I've heard him called "the unicorn" he's an ultra-marathoner with a 700lb squat. He has his own training program and I'm sure you can find plenty on a google search.

I'm looking him up as per your recommendation! I don't know if I am badass enough for either an ultra or a 700lb squat but extra inspiration never hurts!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #669 on: March 22, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »
190 for 19.5- the twentith rep was complete and utter shit- I thought I could call it a half squat- but upon review- it's  more of a 1/4 squat.

Definitely reaching my capacity for the twenty rep squat program- technically I have 2 more lifts to go- 195 and 200. We shall see folks.
We shall see.

jordanread

« Reply #670 on: March 22, 2016, 12:52:58 PM »

Goals:
1000 Pound Club (sum of 1RM for bench press, deadlift, and back squat) (March 1, 2016: #775  (205 / 315 / 225))

[...]

Abel, I'm sorry I missed this earlier. I've added 3 specific goals to the tracking post (and yes, I made maintaining a sub-17 minute 3 mile as a goal - You are stuck here until the end of the year muahahahhahaha). Welcome!

That guy's body type makes me initially think muscle-bound. However, his other tasks make me question that. Quite the specimen.

jordanread

« Reply #671 on: March 22, 2016, 12:55:56 PM »
Splits update: I seem to be getting farther down, though it's hard to measure. I ran out of Spongebob stickers for my calendar, so my boyfriend bought me some new ones - sparkly chickens holding umbrellas. So right now I have a big Star Wars wall calendar covered in Spongebob and chickens. The sticker system is extremely motivating - I now see why a lot of parents use that to house-train their spawn.

Woohooo! Sparkly chickens for flexibility! Have you seen this stretching guide for the splits? It's pretty, might be helpful.

Based on this question, I just found something I'm going to add to the resource post, but I'll post it here. It seems like a useful method to get a rough sense of body fat without anything but a scale and a measuring tape.

How to Measure Body Fat Without Calipers

Here's a couple sites that will do the calculations for you:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

They use different measurements, and give slightly different answers, but either should give you a decent ballpark figure.  More accurate than the electronic scales, less than a caliper used consistently by a trained technician but possibly more accurate than the calipers used at home.

I'm adding both of these comments resource to the resource post. Thank you!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #672 on: March 22, 2016, 03:06:34 PM »
GUYS. YOU GUYS. I DID A CHIN UP! Admittedly, there was a *tiny* bit of momentum from my jump each time, but I did like 14 of them over the course of my workout. And I did one that was almost perfectly strict.

Officially making a new goal: Do a strict pull up. I didn't have it as a goal before, because I literally did not consider it a possibility this year. But if I can nearly do a chin up strict... =o

Workout today:
DL: Worked up to 1x1 at 170. Tried for 175 (previous PR) and missed x2, husband did a small assist at the sticking point and I got he... he swears it was psychological and he didn't even actually help. I am undecided on the matter.
Squats/OH: none, I'm still sore from a couple days ago
Metcon: 10 min of: push ups x5/chin up x1/ run the driveway, did 11.5 circuits

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #673 on: March 22, 2016, 03:18:14 PM »

Clean 245- dirty 250.
This is the 20 rep squat breathing program- idea is you take your 5 rep max and you go 90 pounds off that (so 6 weeks- 3 lifts a week- adding 5 pounds a lift- = 90 pounds) and you start there.
So I took 200 pounds- and subtracted 90.
Started at 110 and at 185- I'm almost to the 200- half the goal is to get big- the other half is to increase your base lifting so you're just over all stronger- so last time- I ended at 175 and that was it- I failed after that- so the fact I've made it successful to 185 is a real accomplishment for me and should indeed mean- my 250 squat will be MUCH more solid now.

That's wild. My wife's max is near what yours is probably but no way she can do 185 for 20. She can do 185x6 or 7, and 225x3ish (most she's done a few weeks ago) she's never gone a over 225 tho or maxed, but I'd guess her max is around 240 or so. Getting 20 reps at a respectable level requires a different type of strength lol.

jordanread

« Reply #674 on: March 22, 2016, 03:33:50 PM »
GUYS. YOU GUYS. I DID A CHIN UP! Admittedly, there was a *tiny* bit of momentum from my jump each time, but I did like 14 of them over the course of my workout. And I did one that was almost perfectly strict.
Officially making a new goal: Do a strict pull up. I didn't have it as a goal before, because I literally did not consider it a possibility this year. But if I can nearly do a chin up strict... =o

Fuck yes!! You kicked ass. However, as far as momentum goes, I found the video below while I was researching 'Kip-Ups'. I thought it was a joke, until I saw the woman in the middle of this particular section of the clip.

https://youtu.be/KWIZ_QedHWc?t=11s

Added to the tracking post. Damn BJ, you are kicking major ass.

Workout today:
DL: Worked up to 1x1 at 170. Tried for 175 (previous PR) and missed x2, husband did a small assist at the sticking point and I got he... he swears it was psychological and he didn't even actually help. I am undecided on the matter.
Squats/OH: none, I'm still sore from a couple days ago
Metcon: 10 min of: push ups x5/chin up x1/ run the driveway, did 11.5 circuits

Don't trust him. He probably helped but our weird guy brains are wired to support the better halves by lying and stuff. I know it's stupid since chicks kick ass (often more than us male types do), but stuff...and things. What has your progression been with the deadlift? Your goal is a 200lb 1x1, so you are damn close! Also, that silly guy brain/badass forum member/OP of S&F makes me think that writing that out will be awesome. For us living vicariously through you, and for truly understanding how awesome you are.

Edit: Screwed up the quote...it's fixed now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 03:36:00 PM by jordanread »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #675 on: March 22, 2016, 03:48:38 PM »
D'awww. I'm trying. It's really nice to actually have time where fitness is a huge goal. My nutrition has been on lockdown for so long now that it isn't hard anymore, and for once in my life I'm not dealing with both school AND work. It's been pretty incredible to see what I can achieve when I'm "only" busy 42-58 hours per week, haha.

Re: my progression. I guess I don't 100% understand the question, but I'll take my best guess. I started the year having just broken 135 (from 115 in December).
So my PR dates:
115- Started DLing, Late November? I think?
135- Late December
155- Mid January
160- The week after that
165- End of February
175- Beginning of March

Edit to add- I was definitely not kipping on the chin ups. I just wasn't going to a slack hang before doing the motion- I have to hop to reach the bar, and I kept that "oomph". No extra body swing or leg oomph though.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:05:50 PM by Bracken_Joy »

jordanread

« Reply #676 on: March 22, 2016, 04:22:52 PM »
D'awww. I'm trying. It's really nice to actually have time where fitness is a huge goal. My nutrition has been on lockdown for so long now that it isn't hard anymore, and for once in my life I'm not dealing with both school AND work. It's been pretty incredible to see what I can achieve when I'm "only" busy 42-58 hours per week, haha.

Re: my progression. I guess I don't 100% understand the question, but I'll take my best guess. I started the year having just broken 135 (from 115 in December).

Your understanding is exactly right as far as progression goes. I guessed on some of the dates, but I wanted to lay out a linear progression of your lifting. I've attached it below. You are definitely on track to meet even more of your goals. The dots are based on your data. The line is the direction you are going.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #677 on: March 22, 2016, 05:01:51 PM »
I'll jump in this year!

1. Deadlift. Goal is 1.5x bodyweight, or 202.5lbs (so 200lbs really). Stretch goal: 2x bodyweight, or 270lbs. I'm currently doing 145lb 1 rep max.
2. Back squat. Goal is 1x bodyweight, or 135lbs. Stretch goal is 1.5x bodyweight, or ~200lbs. I'm currently doing 115lb.
3. Achieve a proper front rack position. This is hard given mobility restrictions from a previous injury.

Huh, looks like I was wrong about my deadlift progression. I guess at the end of December I was doing 145lbs.

jordanread

« Reply #678 on: March 23, 2016, 07:47:14 AM »
I've decided to alter one of my goals a little bit - I'm now going to aim to walk or hike more than 1000 km this year. It's fairly close to my old goal (10 km/wk during the school year & 40km/wk for June-Aug). That would have been approx 910 km, so I am upping it slightly.

So far, I am at 136km since Jan 1/16 (12 weeks). Went on some really beautiful hikes this week (pic below is from a gorgeous hike we did on Quadra Island just off the coast of Vancouver Island last week). The spring is probably my favourite hiking season - it's sunny, but the temps are a bit cooler (10-15C).

ETA - for reference, 1000 km is approx the distance to drive from Vancouver to Calgary.

Beautiful shot. I'll post some of my hikes from this past weekend if we're going to do that (which I am fine with...I mean, why are we doing this if not to enjoy where we are?). Also, using Canadian cities as your reference to explain kilometers is probably not helpful to us imperial-unit folks.

For those of you like me, who grew up in the US, that is just over 621 Miles. That is more than 6X the length of the Thirlmere Aqueduct!!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #679 on: March 23, 2016, 10:27:42 AM »
So I brought up my diet in my personal journal and jordanread asked me share here too, which makes sense. :)

Background: I was supposed to take a yoga teacher training course starting next week, I cancelled with my (crazy expensive) personal trainer from my NPC competition prep so I could do this training instead. Unfortunately I got the news two days ago that the training has been cancelled, which leaves me with no personal trainer or yoga training goal to work toward.

I'm fighting with taking a diet break, see I've been eating mostly at home and tracking my macronutrient intake for well over a year now. It was for very specific purposes, first to increase intake and gain muscle, then to decrease intake to lose fat and get insanely lean(~10% body fat) for an NPC bikini competition and then to slowly increase intake back to "normal" so maintain some leanness. Well I'm pretty much burnt out. I just need a break, my "aesthetic goals" need to take a back seat while I get my head straight. I'm going to keep weight lifting and doing yoga, but I want to kill the diet thing. This hasn't been an option since I've been working with a trainer who checks my food diary weekly to see how things are going. That alone has been increasing my anxiety (and I mean like, I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with anxiety and panic attacks in Nov). So with no trainer now, I think I need to take a period of time with no rules and no restrictions (I spent 2 years paleo, and now 2 years tracking macros) and no one to judge me.

After talking more with my DH we realized that my path to being healthy led to almost an obsession, first it was eating clean, then it was eating paleo, then it was tracking macronutrients for getting lean enough to compete in a bikini competition. Now I'm feeling wore out, burnt out, done with it all and I think the bikini prep is mostly to blame. I ended up really low calorie to get lean for this last competition and it wrecked me. I'm doing okay on the bounce back body composition wise (about 22% body fat now vs. the first time I did a show I rebounded to 30% body fat), I'm healthy but I have a bit of a warped view, I loved looking lean, but at the same time it was miserable to maintain.

So, I'm refocusing, the diet break could last a few months.  I put my scale away and I'm avoiding any form of body composition measurements. I need to revive a healthy relationship with food first and foremost, no more associating any foods as good or bad for any reason(like being unhealthy/healthy, will make me gain/lose weight, etc). We'll still eat at home mostly because it's honestly what we like, I'm going to dust off some cookbooks that haven't been used in a long time and just enjoy the process.

I also put together a new training plan for myself, it incorporates a variation of "daily undulating periodization" but still on a body part split so I can get enough recovery days in.

week 1
 M-legs strength
 T-chest/tris hypertrophy
 W-yoga class
 Tr-back/bis power
 F-shoulders strength
 week 2
 M-legs hypertrophy
 T-chest/tris power
 W-yoga class
 Tr-back/bis strength
 F-shoulders hypertrophy
 week 3
 M-legs power
 T-chest/tris strength
 W-yoga class
 Tr-back/bis hypertrophy
 F-shoulders power

Rep ranges are 10-12 on hypertrophy, 8-10 on power, and 6-8 on strength days, it's pretty straight forward otherwise. There is usually one exercise variation on the power days to work on explosiveness like jumps on leg day and ground up push ups on chest day. It's be a 3 week rotation, so week 4 will look like week 1 but with an increase in weight. This also means I can take Saturday and Sunday as rest days.

Thanks for listening everyone! :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #680 on: March 23, 2016, 10:39:44 AM »
Just completed my first Baja-run...an early morning, easy going 5k - the key is to get it done before the sun is too high in the sky. I intend to run most days while I am down here, with the occasional break. My half marathon looms in early June so I need to keep up the running. I'm am going to wander over to a local gym which caters to mostly "gringos", which means I will likely pay dearly for a month's membership. But I DO NOT want to lose my hard won strength gains....which occurred when I was here in November...took me more than a month to get it back once I got back to Vancouver.

I will attempt my first "beach run" in the sand in the next few days. Wish me luck...or rather, wish my ACHILLES TENDON luck. If I sense beach running is a bad idea, I will abandon the experiment.

jordanread

« Reply #681 on: March 23, 2016, 11:30:38 AM »
Thank you :) I would love to see a pic or two of some of your hikes. Have you seen the "Show Me Your Beautiful Places" thread? ( http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/off-topic/show-me-your-beautiful-places/) It's one of my favourites on the forum.

I had not seen that, but I'll definitely be participating. There are a few issues with embedding photos with some updates, but I may have found a workaround. This is from 2 weekends ago. Let me know if it shows up please.

jordanread

« Reply #682 on: March 23, 2016, 12:34:48 PM »

I had not seen that, but I'll definitely be participating. There are a few issues with embedding photos with some updates, but I may have found a workaround. This is from 2 weekends ago. Let me know if it shows up please.
It's working for me :) Very nice! Is this in Colorado?

That it is. Like a 10 minute drive from my place. I do love it here. I also posted an album in the thread you mentioned.

So I brought up my diet in my personal journal and jordanread asked me share here too, which makes sense. :)
[...]
Thanks for listening everyone! :)

Awesome, thanks for sharing ETYL. I'm a huge proponent of tracking at first, and then all about listening to your body. It's a bit ambiguous, but it's applicable to working out too. I love it.

Just completed my first Baja-run...an early morning, easy going 5k - the key is to get it done before the sun is too high in the sky. I intend to run most days while I am down here, with the occasional break. My half marathon looms in early June so I need to keep up the running. I'm am going to wander over to a local gym which caters to mostly "gringos", which means I will likely pay dearly for a month's membership. But I DO NOT want to lose my hard won strength gains....which occurred when I was here in November...took me more than a month to get it back once I got back to Vancouver.

I will attempt my first "beach run" in the sand in the next few days. Wish me luck...or rather, wish my ACHILLES TENDON luck. If I sense beach running is a bad idea, I will abandon the experiment.

And talking about listening to your body, good call. Have you thought of doing bodyweight strength training, handstand pushups and the like? The issue you are dealing with (gringo gyms and the like) could most definitely be resolved by moving a bit away from the iron and capitalizing on the crazy leverage one can get by, well, leveraging the body. It's actually funny. I'm coming from a place of helping, but there is this voice in the back of my head saying "No, it's already hard enough to catch up. Stop giving this guy more suggestions!!". I've even gone so far to consider grabbing a cheap kayak from CL and just making 312 loops around Prospect Lake, since it's within walking distance of my house. Of course, if I go that route, I will have a goal of going fast enough around to get dizzy. Not likely (or even possible I think), but it's my touch of competitiveness and wanting to  'catch up' to you. :)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #683 on: March 23, 2016, 02:43:52 PM »
So-I"m wrapping up at work and I feel the need to share.   I've been doing the 20 rep squat breathing program- this is the second time I've done 20 rep program and first time easily by half way through the program I used to get nauseated driving to the gym with the stress of the work.  I'd never been more mentally challenged to step under the bar in all my years of lifting. I started at 95 pounds- and worked up to 175 which I repeated and failed twice.

This is the second go round- the top and final lift being 200 pounds.  I've been more mentally secure with what's going on then the first time- and it wasn't till last week at 185 where I started to not feel good about this.

190 was nerve wracking when I walked into the gym.
Today is 195#'s- I've been sick to my stomach since about 1:30.

Technically I have 195 and 200 yet to do. So Wednesday today and hopefully Friday.

The anxiety is literally vibrating in every muscle.  I find the mental pacing and prep work to step under the weight and get started takes MUCH longer than actually squatting (which takes me about 2.5-3 minutes to do the whole 1 x 20 reps)
 I'm equally nervous and nauseated. It's such an odd feeling. But- 195. I'll do my best. fail or not- it's still a fricking win.

oiy.  the things we do for growth!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #684 on: March 23, 2016, 03:01:51 PM »
So-I"m wrapping up at work and I feel the need to share.   I've been doing the 20 rep squat breathing program- this is the second time I've done 20 rep program and first time easily by half way through the program I used to get nauseated driving to the gym with the stress of the work.  I'd never been more mentally challenged to step under the bar in all my years of lifting. I started at 95 pounds- and worked up to 175 which I repeated and failed twice.

This is the second go round- the top and final lift being 200 pounds.  I've been more mentally secure with what's going on then the first time- and it wasn't till last week at 185 where I started to not feel good about this.

Technically I have 195 and 200 yet to do. So Wednesday today and hopefully Friday.

The anxiety is literally vibrating in every muscle.  I find the mental pacing and prep work to step under the weight and get started takes MUCH longer than actually squatting (which takes me about 2.5-3 minutes to do the whole 1 x 20 reps)
 I'm equally nervous and nauseated. It's such an odd feeling. But- 195. I'll do my best. fail or not- it's still a fricking win.

Get it girl! You got under the bar for 190, what's two more days with just a little bit more? ;)

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #685 on: March 23, 2016, 05:55:02 PM »

Have you fainted doing squats yet?  If not then it's time to....step it up.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 04:24:32 AM by big_owl »

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #686 on: March 25, 2016, 09:32:38 AM »

Have you fainted doing squats yet?  If not then it's time to....step it up.

not flat out- but I have seen what we call the squat fairies - so the pre-pass out squat phase LOL.

195 was damn close. 
I would say 200 is going to be ugly- but totally going for it.   I haven't uploaded the whole set- but the first half looked nice and tidy!!!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BDUSeYSq41R/?taken-by=brickhousebellydance

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #687 on: March 27, 2016, 06:41:44 PM »
Bump- how are we this weekend?   Anyone get into the gym?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #688 on: March 27, 2016, 07:15:56 PM »

Nope, but I did hit the road yesterday.  Ran 11.5 miles and really felt no worse for wear this morning.  That is pretty neat.

Gym tomorrow.  Only 20 days until my half marathon, then I can shorten my runs and focus on the gym more.

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #689 on: March 28, 2016, 06:35:48 AM »

HEAR ME ROARRRRR

Took a couple days off since work was crazy. Wasn't planning on attempting to max out my lifts till the 1st of April. Said, what the heck, let's do this.

WAHHHH PR'D EVERYTHING LIKE A BOSSSSS

225# bench
245# back squat
335# deadlift

That puts me in the 805# club! Nearly a hundred pounds more than I was lifting back in October. Even if I could have squeezed out a couple more pounds, the loss in form wouldn't have been worth it. It feels awesome to see progress and do something you've never been able to do before.  I almost yelled in excitement after I got the deadlift haha, but suppressed it because I didn't want to be "that guy". Either way, still got a way to go! And need to stop neglecting the handstand pushup stuff...

Quick question: for those of you who are lifting types, what's the best way to warm up to a 1RM lift attempt? I did a bodyweight warmup circuit of 2x10 reps of everything (push/pull/air squat/dip/situp) and then for each major lift, did like 50% of 1RM x1, 75% 1RM x1, and then went all the way for the PR. Not sure if there's a better or recommended way...

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #690 on: March 28, 2016, 07:50:53 AM »
I've hit my spring busy time at work. That combined with poor planning on my part and a bit of crazy weather have thrown my normal workout schedule in a bit of a tailspin. That said, I did complete all my training runs last week, threw in a swim and some body weight strength work. Most of the workouts were just clustered in a four day stretch, leaving me feeling a bit more tired than usual today.

DH and I have a half marathon this Saturday. I don't think my 2:20 goal is likely on this course, it looks pretty tough and, being rather slow on a good day,  I think the 2:20 half is a bit of a stretch goal for me. That said, my running has been so good this spring and faster paces have been feeling quite comfortable lately, so who knows? 

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #691 on: March 28, 2016, 08:24:12 AM »

Nope, but I did hit the road yesterday.  Ran 11.5 miles and really felt no worse for wear this morning.  That is pretty neat.

Gym tomorrow.  Only 20 days until my half marathon, then I can shorten my runs and focus on the gym more.

nice nice!!! 11.5 is a hefty run great job!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #692 on: March 28, 2016, 08:29:02 AM »

HEAR ME ROARRRRR

Took a couple days off since work was crazy. Wasn't planning on attempting to max out my lifts till the 1st of April. Said, what the heck, let's do this.

WAHHHH PR'D EVERYTHING LIKE A BOSSSSS

225# bench
245# back squat
335# deadlift

That puts me in the 805# club! Nearly a hundred pounds more than I was lifting back in October. Even if I could have squeezed out a couple more pounds, the loss in form wouldn't have been worth it. It feels awesome to see progress and do something you've never been able to do before.  I almost yelled in excitement after I got the deadlift haha, but suppressed it because I didn't want to be "that guy". Either way, still got a way to go! And need to stop neglecting the handstand pushup stuff...

Quick question: for those of you who are lifting types, what's the best way to warm up to a 1RM lift attempt? I did a bodyweight warmup circuit of 2x10 reps of everything (push/pull/air squat/dip/situp) and then for each major lift, did like 50% of 1RM x1, 75% 1RM x1, and then went all the way for the PR. Not sure if there's a better or recommended way...

taking sometime off usually brings you back super strong!  So great job!!!

OH GOD 10 is to much TO MUCH TO MUCH!!!

I had a reasonable lay out for my warm ups.- I think this is roughly what I did for my testing of my last 1 rep max aiming for 250.
Typically I jump rope/box jump (Box jumping preps the CNS extremely well for squatting) for a few minutes
1 x 8 @ 45 (the bar)
1 x 6 @ 115
1 x 4 @ 115
1 x 4 @ 135
1 x 3 @ 155/165
1 x 1 @ 185
Depending on how I feel at 185 I'll hit 215 or not.

First attempt- 225#
rest- usually 15-20 minutes
Second attempt- 235#
rest - usually 15-20 minutes
Third attempt 245#

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #693 on: March 28, 2016, 09:35:04 AM »
I attended the NPC Governor's Cup bodybuilding competition this weekend. One of my good friends was competing for her first time in the Bikini division. She looked great but didn't get quite lean enough to place in the top 5. Being at the competition made me want to do it again, but I know that I need several more years to be truly ready and competitive. So, my motivation is back and I start a 12 week daily undulating periodization program today! :)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #694 on: March 28, 2016, 09:40:08 AM »

I've been busy and haven't check in for 2 weeks! Overall things are going well. Down 5lbs since the end of last month. I'm hitting my strength twice a week and cardio 2-3 times/week. My Achilles is still irritated here and there, so I've been doing less running and more cycling. Still getting in my yoga and mobility stretches in twice a week after strength too.

It seems that my squat stability is finally starting to get better too. I don't feel like I'm leaning forward every time I air squat, which means I might actually be allowed to safely get under a barbell again! I really hope so.

P.S. Healthier eating = lower grocery bill & less eating out. Woo!
P.P.S. I got a new job, which I'll be starting in late April, matching my contracting salary WITH benefits (so effectively a raise b/c less taxes & more benefits). I'm excited! We're moving to Arizona from Missouri, which should be interesting.

awesome- have you tried using a broom at home? I find using a broom or PVC pipe helps me work on technique for barbell- air squats do nothing for me in translation.

bonus- lower grocery bills!!!  (I find the opposite is true for me actually- mostly b/c i tend to buy more fresh produce and that is $$$)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #695 on: March 28, 2016, 01:01:46 PM »
Easter really screwed up my workout plans. Bleh. Ate so much garbage. My dear MIL managed to *burn a ham* IN A CROCKPOT. That is impressively bad cooking, my friends. Anyway, I felt terrible when I got home from too many potato chips and wine to ease my hunger, so no workout yesterday.

Workout today focused on front squat and pull ups. God are my poor elbows gonna hurt. Nothing acute, they're just not used to working this hard anymore.

Squat: Front squat, PR, 115lbs 2x1, and 3x3 at 95lbs
OH: 5x5 push press with the bar, working on grip technique
Other: husband-assisted pull-ups, 4x3, with a hold and slow release on the last one of each set

I'm also adding a new page to my fitness tracking spreadsheet, which is "sun time". Basically, how long am I spending outside each day (does not necessarily have to have sunshine- in Oregon, that would be impossible!). On non-work days, I'm going to try and set a 15min minimum. I do better the more outside time I get. As spring marches on, I want to try and get up to a 4 hour weekly minimum.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #696 on: March 28, 2016, 01:24:42 PM »
not a bad idea!!

I video regularly to critique my squat form to monitor for variations and weakness- that might help you as well.

@Braken_Joy- heh- I've burned stuff in a crock pot- but I'm never feeding anyone but me and my poor cats.  I'd be mortified if we were having a big meal and I burned a ham in the crock pot LOL- poor lady>

That's okay- plenty of peeps and jelly beans to eat!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #697 on: March 28, 2016, 01:33:15 PM »
not a bad idea!!

I video regularly to critique my squat form to monitor for variations and weakness- that might help you as well.

@Braken_Joy- heh- I've burned stuff in a crock pot- but I'm never feeding anyone but me and my poor cats.  I'd be mortified if we were having a big meal and I burned a ham in the crock pot LOL- poor lady>

I should note, the ham was fully submerged in liquid. That is why it is so very, very impressive.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #698 on: March 29, 2016, 06:43:41 AM »
not a bad idea!!

I should note, the ham was fully submerged in liquid. That is why it is so very, very impressive.

heh. that's kind of hysterical.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #699 on: March 29, 2016, 06:47:55 AM »
In October I could barely swim 50 yards using breaststroke before getting tired.

Yesterday after 5 months of USMS swimming classes once a week I swam 1.43 miles (2525 yards) in 55:00!!

Yippee

Body weight is also down to the 203-204 range.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!