Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402438 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #600 on: March 09, 2016, 11:48:10 AM »
So I was getting dressed this morning, and my guy lines are back!!! Plus, if I suck in my gut, and the light hits me just right, I have the beginnings of a 2 pack!!

Feeling a lot stronger these days, and the weight loss continues while my tone increases. I almost have biceps! I'm loving this year's journey.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #601 on: March 09, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
So I was getting dressed this morning, and my guy lines are back!!! Plus, if I suck in my gut, and the light hits me just right, I have the beginnings of a 2 pack!!

Feeling a lot stronger these days, and the weight loss continues while my tone increases. I almost have biceps! I'm loving this year's journey.

Double plus awesome! Its fun to hear about everyone's progress, but especially great to hear about the thread OPs.
Maybe its time for an update picture?

How often do people weight train?

I've been mixing my workout between pilates/barre/lifting/cardio, but I haven't figured out the perfect "mix". I used to weight train twice a week as a dancer, but dancing is a lot of bodyweight training naturally.

I try to alternate strength and cardio days, with at least one day a week off of anything, and ideally one day devoted to specific skill training (for me that's ANW obstacles, barre seems like the equivalent of a skill specific type exercise).  So works out to about 3 days a week. Depends on your goals really, its important for health to have at least some of each, but different sports or activities or even aesthetic goals may emphasize one more over the other.  In other words, there isn't a "perfect" mix.

jordanread

« Reply #602 on: March 09, 2016, 12:22:18 PM »

Double plus awesome! Its fun to hear about everyone's progress, but especially great to hear about the thread OPs.
Maybe its time for an update picture?

There will be an update picture, but there is some more progress I want to make. The specific pose created for Before/After photos by Zikoris means that I have a lot more core work before any noticeable progress appears. However, as an homage to JS, with the understanding that the sense of mystery probably won't be there since I'm not shy, I have gone ahead and attached an arm photo.

(told you the biceps were an almost)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #603 on: March 09, 2016, 12:39:08 PM »
Waves- kind of new to the forum- but I'm a die hard lifter junkie- I power lift and I dance- those are my two main things.

So to the question of how often do you weight train
3-4 times a week.

But if you're looking for overall advice in terms of generic fitness- 1-2 times a week is sufficient
Strength - 3-4
and most 4-6 day splits are for people prepping for the stage-

So figure out your goal- THEN pick a plan that works for the goal.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #604 on: March 09, 2016, 12:48:27 PM »

There will be an update picture, but there is some more progress I want to make. The specific pose created for Before/After photos by Zikoris means that I have a lot more core work before any noticeable progress appears. However, as an homage to JS, with the understanding that the sense of mystery probably won't be there since I'm not shy, I have gone ahead and attached an arm photo.

The second coming of 2pac(k)! Woot!

I AM, compared to you JR, quite shy about putting my appendages out there for all to see. Tell you what, once I get a bit of a Baja-tan established I'll post something. I have recently deleted my previous arm-pics (and farm pics) from the forum as they are OLD NEWS now. :)

jordanread

« Reply #605 on: March 09, 2016, 01:57:23 PM »

The second coming of 2pac(k)! Woot!

I AM, compared to you JR, quite shy about putting my appendages out there for all to see. Tell you what, once I get a bit of a Baja-tan established I'll post something. I have recently deleted my previous arm-pics (and farm pics) from the forum as they are OLD NEWS now. :)

I hadn't noticed that you took the pictures down, but I'm not that creepy. I saw it once, and then showed the SO (my mistake...I know). However, over in your journal, referring to your pasty white glory made me giggle, and I just assumed that you had a constant tan...forgot that you don't just kayak year round. As far as putting appendages out there, and you mentioned the second coming, I found a few pictures from miscellaneous times throughout my time with the SO (usually hiking). The pictures are here, and I might actually have a 2 pack in one of them, so it really is the 2nd coming.

For those of you who don't know, I've been hiking regularly for the last 8 years, and riding bikes regularly for the last 5 (although I biked a lot during my teenage years). A few years back I went Primal, and last year started my journey of bodyweight training. If you look at last year's thread, I didn't do all that great with it, but a huge part of that was the drinking problem (outlined in my former journal) I decided to nurture, and allow grow into a self-sabotaging, sobriety rejecting reality. So while I always maintain functionality, and (with the exception of one time in Juvie where I was rewarded with charleston chews...I did good, and got really fat) haven't been too out of shape to handle my day to day life, my body reacts very quickly to dietary changes. Having a plan in place, and sticking to it this year is the first real attempt at fitness and health. And I'm loving it!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #606 on: March 09, 2016, 02:20:16 PM »

I hadn't noticed that you took the pictures down, but I'm not that creepy. I saw it once, and then showed the SO (my mistake...I know). However, over in your journal, referring to your pasty white glory made me giggle, and I just assumed that you had a constant tan...forgot that you don't just kayak year round. As far as putting appendages out there, and you mentioned the second coming, I found a few pictures from miscellaneous times throughout my time with the SO (usually hiking). The pictures are here, and I might actually have a 2 pack in one of them, so it really is the 2nd coming.

For those of you who don't know, I've been hiking regularly for the last 8 years, and riding bikes regularly for the last 5 (although I biked a lot during my teenage years). A few years back I went Primal, and last year started my journey of bodyweight training. If you look at last year's thread, I didn't do all that great with it, but a huge part of that was the drinking problem (outlined in my former journal) I decided to nurture, and allow grow into a self-sabotaging, sobriety rejecting reality. So while I always maintain functionality, and (with the exception of one time in Juvie where I was rewarded with charleston chews...I did good, and got really fat) haven't been too out of shape to handle my day to day life, my body reacts very quickly to dietary changes. Having a plan in place, and sticking to it this year is the first real attempt at fitness and health. And I'm loving it!

This is great to hear....and you look pretty good (if pasty) in that first pic. In fact, I'd say you comfortably "out-pasty" me there. :)

I know all about the caloric consequences of boozin'...it's probably the biggest factor in my pre-FIRE "rotundness". Still not entirely sure I was an alcoholic since I pretty much lost the desire to drink as soon as I pulled the pin on my career. Doesn't matter now I suppose. Alcohol is now consumed in extreme moderation - almost as a well earned reward for my ongoing healthy efforts. Our Red Wine Fridays continues to be a THING.

I would think that going forward in FIRE I will probably sport some variety of perma-tan. I probably had a bit of a golden tone left over in early February from my Nov-Dec stint in Baja...but yeah, pretty pale now. Upcoming trip will get me some colour which will get me into mid-may when I become a kayakin' fiend - and despite 30 proof sunscreen liberally applied the sun, intensified by the reflection off the water, will quickly have Jon_Snow looking very un-snowlike. And yes...I know sun exposure is NOT HEALTHY. :) I do tan quickly and easily...always have.

I've been thinking about my 500km paddling goal for 2016...not sure how realistic it is. Probably will have to throw in some 40km paddles in there with my usual 20km "around the island" route to do it.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #607 on: March 09, 2016, 09:04:21 PM »
Its official:
They called me tonight.  I get to be on American Ninja Warrior.
So, now I need to actually start taking training seriously!  Unfortunately, I only have 4 weeks left to do so...

jordanread

« Reply #608 on: March 09, 2016, 09:06:21 PM »
Its official:
So, now I need to actually start taking training seriously!  Unfortunately, I only have 4 weeks left to do so...
Fuck yes! San Diego?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #609 on: March 10, 2016, 06:46:15 AM »
Its official:

Wooooooo! Awesome. So what is your "serious training" going to entail?

tnrunner

• Bristles
« Reply #610 on: March 10, 2016, 06:48:23 AM »
Count me in!

1) Complete strength training 5x/week.
2) 1 hour of cardio 6 days a week (Run 4, bike/elliptical the other 2).
3) Drop 15 pounds.

I'm down 6 pounds and feeling great. I'm easily getting 5x week strength training but cardio is lacking at 4 days a week; 2 run and 2 other. Also tracking my macros and calorie intake; flexible dieting with REAL food.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #611 on: March 10, 2016, 07:56:17 AM »
San Diego?

LA this year, at Universal Studios.

Wooooooo! Awesome. So what is your "serious training" going to entail?

Mostly not skipping days due to laziness, plus going out to the ANW gym every Sunday instead of once or twice a month

jordanread

« Reply #612 on: March 10, 2016, 08:11:48 AM »
San Diego?

LA this year, at Universal Studios.

Good to know, although thinking about it, it was always in Venice for your neck of the woods, and it's never been in San Diego, so I have no idea what I was thinking. As far as getting Mustachianism out there, just tell them that is your job/title. And then when they introduce you, Matt Iseman will have to describe it. :)

jordanread

« Reply #613 on: March 10, 2016, 08:43:10 AM »
This is great to hear....and you look pretty good (if pasty) in that first pic. In fact, I'd say you comfortably "out-pasty" me there. :)

Ha!! That was an interesting time. I just realized that those pictures are from April, July, September 2009. I think the point I was attempting to show was how quickly my body composition changes. This was within a year of beginning to court the SO. She is the one who really got me into hiking. At the time, I was working the graveyard shift, and with the exception of the one extremely tiring day I stayed up to hike, I never got outside. So even though I lived in Colorado, with it's 300 days of sunshine, I never got outside. And yet I'm still a little bit stoked that I can out-anything JS, even if it is just pastiness.
Also, that was the year I started getting major blood panels done every year. My physician said that he had never seen anyone with such low levels of Vitamin D...ever! I took a ridiculous amounts of supplements for over a year just to get on the low level of the scale.

I know all about the caloric consequences of boozin'...it's probably the biggest factor in my pre-FIRE "rotundness". Still not entirely sure I was an alcoholic since I pretty much lost the desire to drink as soon as I pulled the pin on my career. Doesn't matter now I suppose. Alcohol is now consumed in extreme moderation - almost as a well earned reward for my ongoing healthy efforts. Our Red Wine Fridays continues to be a THING.

I would think that going forward in FIRE I will probably sport some variety of perma-tan. I probably had a bit of a golden tone left over in early February from my Nov-Dec stint in Baja...but yeah, pretty pale now. Upcoming trip will get me some colour which will get me into mid-may when I become a kayakin' fiend - and despite 30 proof sunscreen liberally applied the sun, intensified by the reflection off the water, will quickly have Jon_Snow looking very un-snowlike. And yes...I know sun exposure is NOT HEALTHY. :) I do tan quickly and easily...always have.

Yeah, I think I've got my balance back when it comes to boozin'. It's a good feeling. As far as sun exposure goes, it is one of the best ways to get Vitamin D, as long as you don't over do it. I love my sun time, and it's an interesting paradigm, considering I have a history of melanoma in my family, and have even had moles that had cancerous sells (since removed). There was a security podcast in which there was a lot of talk about the host and his ridiculous amount of research. It looks like they've now consolidated all the info here. Highly recommended, especially if you are concerned about the sun or vitamin D.

I've been thinking about my 500km paddling goal for 2016...not sure how realistic it is. Probably will have to throw in some 40km paddles in there with my usual 20km "around the island" route to do it.

How far do you normally go in a year? When we initially discussed this, I thought it was just an extra day during the week of your usual paddle? And are you going to kayak down in Baja?

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #614 on: March 10, 2016, 11:35:56 AM »
Its official:

That is super awesome! Congrats!

jordanread

« Reply #615 on: March 10, 2016, 12:00:16 PM »
Bakari, how are you doing on the warped wall? When you get past that on the show, I'm probably going to count that goal as met...just saying! Are you going to write a blog post regarding getting there on a low budget? I know that Nicholas Coolridge did that with living in his van and dumpster diving and things.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #616 on: March 10, 2016, 08:07:28 PM »
Bakari, how are you doing on the warped wall? When you get past that on the show, I'm probably going to count that goal as met...just saying! Are you going to write a blog post regarding getting there on a low budget? I know that Nicholas Coolridge did that with living in his van and dumpster diving and things.

No progress as yet.  According to the guys where I've been practicing the warped wall they have is actually steeper than the real one, and possibly a bit more slick.  And there is slightly less room for run up.  So there's a chance that even if I never get it in practice I'll be able to do the real one. 
Speaking of which, as you mentioned, it always used to be in Venice for CA, right near the beach, which according to people I've met who have been on, made everything damp and slightly slippery, so the change to further inland (and probably indoors) should help with the wall grip too

I haven't written a blog post in months.  When I do, hopefully I'll get around to actually writing one of the several I have in my head and wrote out titles for (Your Feelings Don't Determine Ethics, The Last Taboo, Why Claiming Sexualizing = Objectifying is Misogynist and Dehumanizing - I'm Not Claiming Cat Calling isn't Obnoxious, Stop working so much already! (on voluntary overtime's effect on employment and life) The SnowBall Effect (on capitalism, expanded from an analogy I came up with from one of the big ethics threads on this very forum a few years back))

But maybe after I get around to all those I'll do something a bit more light-hearted, about the whole ANW experience...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 08:12:44 PM by Bakari »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #617 on: March 11, 2016, 09:41:58 AM »

How far do you normally go in a year? When we initially discussed this, I thought it was just an extra day during the week of your usual paddle? And are you going to kayak down in Baja?

During my working years I'd be lucky to get 150km of paddling in a year - all of it crammed into the weekends. Last year, my first full year of FIRE I doubled this amount - around 300km. I could have done more, but I was busy exploring some new hobbies...and my first year garden required a ton of work to get things off the ground. But I'm really going to go for it this year....I'll throw in a few multi-day trips to neighbouring islands as well. This should help rack up the mileage.

I don't do much kayaking in the Baja at all. I am fussy about my boats and how they fit me...the few I have paddled down there haven't made me (or my legs and back) very happy. Also, sit-on-top kayaks are more common down there and I'm not a fan of these - give me an enclosed cockpit please. :) At some point I will have to drive a couple of my kayaks down there and just leave them there for future use.

I've been doing a bit of research about the fitness benefits of sea kayaking. From what I gather, for an 185 pound person (hey, that's me!) you burn around 450 calories per hour of kayaking. Seems a bit high to me, but I'll go with that. So, for my typical 3 hour, 20km round the island jaunt I'm looking at 1300 calories burned. The great thing about it is that for the entirety of the trip you are so focused on the beauty...the sounds and smells of the sea...that you don't notice how much physical exercise you are getting. Once you get back to your home beach and pull your kayak out of the water - then you FEEL IT. :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2016, 10:40:35 AM by Jon_Snow »

jordanread

« Reply #618 on: March 11, 2016, 10:36:14 AM »

During my working years I'd be lucky to get 150km of paddling in a year - all of it crammed into the weekends. Last year, my first full year of FIRE I doubled this amount - around 300km. I could have done more, but I was busy exploring some new hobbies...and my first year garden required a ton of work to get things off the ground. But I'm really going to go for it this year....I'll throw in a few multi-day trips to neighbouring islands as well. This should help rack up the mileage.

I don't do much kayaking in the Baja at all. I am fussy about my boats and how they fit me...the few I have paddled down there haven't made me (or my legs and back) very happy. Also, sit-on-top kayaks are more common down there and I'm not a fan of these - give me an enclosed cockpit please. :) At some point I will have to drive a couple of my kayaks down there and just leave them there for future use.

I've been doing a bit of research about the fitness benefits of sea kayaking. From what I gather, for an 185 pound person (hey, that's me!) you burn around 450 calories per hour of kayaking. Seems a bit high to me, but I'll go with that. So, for my typical 3 hour, 20km round the island jaunt I'm looking at 1300 calories burned. The great thing about it is that for the entirety of the trip you are so focused on the beauty...the sounds and smells of the sea...that you don't notice how much physical exercise you are getting. Once you get back your home beach and pull your kayak out of the water - then you FEEL IT. :)

Okay, since you have your nice kayak there in the Salish Sea, aren't there measurements that will allow you to find one that's the same? Width, Length, Cockpit opening size/shape, end overhang, materials, volume, etc? Or is each brand a bit off?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #619 on: March 11, 2016, 12:30:09 PM »
I tried Aerial yoga today - where you're suspended in  silkhammocks and do inversions while you stretch - and it was AWESOME.

Also, even better, it's on Classpass and is 2.5 blocks from my office. Definitely going back soon!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #620 on: March 11, 2016, 01:43:55 PM »
I was supposed to do my second Olympic tri tomorrow, but yesterday I went to the Dr for a "balance test". I passed out at work on Sunday night, and he thinks I have an inner ear infection.

Try as I might to cover it up and pretend I'm ok, it seems the inability to stand on one leg is evidence of the fact that I probably can't swim safely in the surf or ride my bike at high speeds round corners. So I have to be content with cheering on my teammates and manning the BBQ. The worst part? No alcohol because of the drugs I'm on! :(

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #621 on: March 11, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
I was supposed to do my second Olympic tri tomorrow, but yesterday I went to the Dr for a "balance test". I passed out at work on Sunday night, and he thinks I have an inner ear infection.

Try as I might to cover it up and pretend I'm ok, it seems the inability to stand on one leg is evidence of the fact that I probably can't swim safely in the surf or ride my bike at high speeds round corners. So I have to be content with cheering on my teammates and manning the BBQ. The worst part? No alcohol because of the drugs I'm on! :(

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that! Hope you get better soon. At least you can still wo/man the BBQ! Inner ear stuff is so disorienting.

Here's a get well kitten.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #622 on: March 12, 2016, 08:36:45 AM »
I love get well kitten. And Primm, I am SO sorry! I swam competitively for a couple years in high school, and finally had to quit because an ear infection set up into vestibular neuritis. Nearly drowned on a kick turn =( They aren't joking when they say it's a bad idea to get into water with it! I would have vertigo attacks for like 6 months after that and had to quit the team. I hope your recovery is substantially faster than mine! Did your doc give you any expected timeline?

(OH MAN. PS- I had always been told "vestibulitis". When you look it up you get vaginal vestibulitis! How many people have I told over the years and then they looked it up?! Ahhhh healthcare why you gotta use the same words for stuff?!?!?)

(PS- okay, in further reading, it sounds like it was labyrinthitis instead, because I had hearing distortion in conjunction with vertigo... man, it's so bizarre I've never actually looked back onto any of this and read about it. Not through nursing school or anything! So Primm, super sorry you're sick, but hey, you kicked off a pretty fun little learning binge for me!)

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #623 on: March 12, 2016, 10:18:11 AM »
I'm only posting here to keep myself honest.  My progress is slow and incremental, but constant (so I didn't think it merited weekly updates).

My goal at the start of January was to lose 16lbs of fat this year.
As of this morning I am down 8.4 pounds, so just past the halfway mark.
The second half will be more difficult, but if things continue as they are I should be able to hit it with time.

I've continued to work out (nearly) every morning, doing body weight exercises at home before work.
More importantly, I've cleaned up my diet (for the most part) - and cut out late night snacking.
It's amazing how much better I feel - stronger, more energetic, and generally happier overall.

I suspect I've lost more than 8.4lbs of fat, given that I've gained some muscle, but since I haven't taken body fat measurements I can't really estimate that accurately.

I'm much less concerned with specific numbers, and more concerned with keeping myself in good shape as I grow older.  On top of my bodyweight routine I've added a stretching routine to the start and end of each day (only about 4-5 minutes).  It has made a world of difference in a short amount of time, so I'm hoping I can keep my focus on that and build it into a habit.

Best of luck to everyone else in this thread who are all battling their own obstacles. 
I'll leave you with the thought that I try to remind myself of every morning when I don't feel like doing my routine:   
"A year from now you'll wish you'd started today."
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 10:19:43 AM by MrDelane »

Stache it Away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #624 on: March 12, 2016, 10:43:33 PM »
Its official:

That is awesome!!!!!  I watch sometimes but not all the time.  Make sure to let us know when it is on and hopefully you also make it on tv so we can watch/support you (even if it is after the fact).

Also, just an update on my goals.  I have dropped down to 165 pounds which feels great as I run.   This showed today in a 5k that I PRed with an 18:51.  Now I can check that goal off my list.

Keep up the great work everyone!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #625 on: March 13, 2016, 05:56:06 PM »
I was going to start another thread, but I thought this was a good place to start. Has anyone on here done teaching fitness classes as a side hustle?

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #626 on: March 14, 2016, 12:20:01 PM »
I was going to start another thread, but I thought this was a good place to start. Has anyone on here done teaching fitness classes as a side hustle?

hi- waves- I used to be a trainer... and part of my gig as a dancer- I work at my dance studio- and sometimes I teach.   I mostly use my work there to pay for my dance classes- slave labor and all- but I've gotten to the point where I teach every so often.

So I dance- side hustle
Work the studio- side hustle
Costume- side hustle.

I want to hustle ALL THE SIDES.

:)

and in other news- haven't had a chance to post in here- but I'm a powerlifter-ish type and I'm a professional bellydancer- so I have strength goals as well as weight goals (sized up and down).

Right now I finished a 4.5 month bulk and I'm looking to drop weight for the weight challenge at work (mostly to take their money) and also to prep for my wedding WOOT WOOT.

so- yeah- get swole- lift some shit- and be fabulous.
Those are my goals. :)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #627 on: March 14, 2016, 05:18:09 PM »

hi- waves- I used to be a trainer... and part of my gig as a dancer- I work at my dance studio- and sometimes I teach.   I mostly use my work there to pay for my dance classes- slave labor and all- but I've gotten to the point where I teach every so often.

So I dance- side hustle
Costume- side hustle.

Nice! I used to be a professional dancer in a very specific type of field (I don't give it away on here because it would then be easy to figure out who I am) and I coached until a few years ago (similar to you, I did it to pay for my own training until I quit), but I gave up my certification a few years ago because I was tired of dealing with the sexist racist world of that sport. It also had pretty brutal hours as a side hustle because I primarily coached high schoolers, so it was 4:30AM training sessions most days.

A Barre studio near me is recruiting for instructors and it seems like it's a $400 certification and some simple anatomy tests and then they guarantee you 3-4 classes a week at $35/class. It sounds like they're mostly looking for weekend and early morning people as well, which is ideal. And extra $500/month would get me a lot closer to FI a lot faster and it would pay for my fitness habit- and barely eat into my schedule since I workout at those times normally. A friend works there (as a childcare provider, not an instructor) and she really likes the corporate attitude there.

It seems like fitness instructor side hustle is a really good combo with a day job and a goal of FIRE - easily scaled down/up independent job.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #628 on: March 14, 2016, 10:50:34 PM »
Splits update: I seem to be getting farther down, though it's hard to measure. I ran out of Spongebob stickers for my calendar, so my boyfriend bought me some new ones - sparkly chickens holding umbrellas. So right now I have a big Star Wars wall calendar covered in Spongebob and chickens. The sticker system is extremely motivating - I now see why a lot of parents use that to house-train their spawn.

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #629 on: March 15, 2016, 06:02:06 AM »
Wow- it's exciting to see so much activity on this forum- and so much progress! It's gotten so it's hard to catch up on reading through all the updates and conversation since I am only here once or twice a month. So I'll have to give a generic thumbs up to everyone on their progress and dedication.

• Goal: Strength Training >= 2X/week (annual average): Consistently making it in twice a week, but for a few weeks I wasn't feeling very focused or motivated. But revisiting my goals on this thread really helped me re-focus on what I was trying to achieve. So thanks!
  • Goal: 1 set/1 squats 160lbs- Current max: 3 sets of 5 at 125lbs (calculated 137 one rep max)
  • Goal: 1set/1 bench press 103lbs- Current max: 3 sets of 5 reps at 90lbs (calculated 98 one rep max - getting there!)
  • Goal: 1 set/1 deadlifts 198lbs- Current max: 3 sets of 5 reps at 115lbs (calculated 125 one rep max)
  • Goal: 1-2X/week outdoor activities (annual average): The wimpy winter weather has put a crimp in my style here, though I did get out for what was probably my last ski of the season on Saturday. Getting prepped for hiking/biking season, when hopefully things will pick up again.
  • Goal: Summit Mt. Katahdin Got together with my hiking buddies, and we have started talking about schedule for the summer. We need to pick a date and make camping reservations next.
  • >=50% commute under own power recently I've been overly reliant on my Honda Ruckus Scooter. Time to tune up my bike and get it going again!
  • 1 set/1 pullup I've been incorporating 3 sets of 8 assisted pull-ups into every workout, using a resistance band. Making progress- finally!
  • Decrease body fat by >= 2% I'm having a hard time setting a baseline for this goal, and figuring out how I want to measure it. I don't know anyone who can do an accurate body fat measurement with calipers. I've tried going by photos, but I'm not feeling very confident about my estimates. Any advice?

So, mixed progress overall, but progress none-the-less. I figure as long as I keep some forward movement going, without burning myself out, that as the weather gets warmer I'll start getting excited and really engaged again.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #630 on: March 15, 2016, 07:36:28 AM »
Splits update: I seem to be getting farther down, though it's hard to measure. I ran out of Spongebob stickers for my calendar, so my boyfriend bought me some new ones - sparkly chickens holding umbrellas. So right now I have a big Star Wars wall calendar covered in Spongebob and chickens. The sticker system is extremely motivating - I now see why a lot of parents use that to house-train their spawn.

Woohooo! Sparkly chickens for flexibility! Have you seen this stretching guide for the splits? It's pretty, might be helpful.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #631 on: March 15, 2016, 08:48:00 AM »
Check-in for me, since this is my normal update day:

NOTHING this week. I picked up an extra work shift yesterday, and we have friends in from out of town Saturday night. Meant Saturday- recovery then out with friends, Sunday- show friends around town then mad scramble to reign in house, Monday- work, today- recover and prep for my next 3 shifts.

With my commute, it's 56 hours in 5 days (today off completely), so I'm trying not be hard on myself for missing out. At least I got that hike in last Tuesday!

jordanread

« Reply #632 on: March 15, 2016, 09:09:37 AM »
[...]
  • Decrease body fat by >= 2% I'm having a hard time setting a baseline for this goal, and figuring out how I want to measure it. I don't know anyone who can do an accurate body fat measurement with calipers. I've tried going by photos, but I'm not feeling very confident about my estimates. Any advice?
[...]

Based on this question, I just found something I'm going to add to the resource post, but I'll post it here. It seems like a useful method to get a rough sense of body fat without anything but a scale and a measuring tape.

How to Measure Body Fat Without Calipers

Here are the basic steps (calculations require imperial units - inches and lbs):

• Take body measurements in inches
  • Weigh yourself in pounds
  • Determine lean body weight.
    Men: (1.082 * weight) - (4.15 * waist measurement) + 94.42;
    Women: (.732 * weight) - (.157 * waist measurement) - (.249 * hip measurement) + (.434 * forearm measurement) + (wrist measurement/3.14) + 8.987
  • (Weight - lean weight) / weight * 100

You want me to add the goals just like that to the tracking post? I'm fine with it, just want to make sure.

To everyone else, I swear there was someone who posted and met a goal, but I can't find it. Am I hallucinating, or did that post get deleted?

Stache it Away

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #633 on: March 15, 2016, 10:35:46 AM »
I beat my goal (and stretch goal) with an 18:51 in my 5k last weekend.  I'm also down about 18 pounds so I'm getting very close to my goal of 21, though I think I'll probably keep going past that.

jordanread

« Reply #634 on: March 15, 2016, 10:42:35 AM »
I beat my goal (and stretch goal) with an 18:51 in my 5k last weekend.  I'm also down about 18 pounds so I'm getting very close to my goal of 21, though I think I'll probably keep going past that.

You are kicking ass!! I marked your running time goal as complete. We can wait until you hit your 21 goal, and then set another one if you want. Way to rock things.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #635 on: March 15, 2016, 11:44:04 AM »

Based on this question, I just found something I'm going to add to the resource post, but I'll post it here. It seems like a useful method to get a rough sense of body fat without anything but a scale and a measuring tape.

How to Measure Body Fat Without Calipers

Here's a couple sites that will do the calculations for you:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

http://www.scientificpsychic.com/fitness/diet.html

They use different measurements, and give slightly different answers, but either should give you a decent ballpark figure.  More accurate than the electronic scales, less than a caliper used consistently by a trained technician but possibly more accurate than the calipers used at home.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #636 on: March 15, 2016, 09:03:33 PM »
A recent uptick in stress levels (a first for my FIRE) has had the effect to completely derail the firm grip I had on good nutrition. This past weekend was beyond awful. Wine...too much of it. Salty, carby snacks galore. Netflix fixation for the entirety of the weekend. WTF.

So Monday I responded by punishing myself with a 400 calorie burn on the stationary bike...then an hour and a half of upper body weight training. Then, because I feel wanted to create a proper DETERENT for the upcoming weekend...I did another 300 calorie jaunt on the recumbent bike machine. Then home, shower...and onto the couch where I remained until Lady Snow got home from work.

My Monday's often follow this pattern when I've been bad. :)

I think the damage has been minimal though...an elderly East Indian man at my gym insisted that I remove my earbuds so that he could talk to me (obviously not aware of the gym-code whereby if you have music plugged in you'd rather not be disturbed). He informed me that he had been watching me for a couple of weeks, telling me that he thought I was working very hard. I said thank you...also telling him that I've been at it for almost a year and half now...he looked suitably impressed. Then this...he said that if he "looked like me" he'd never put on clothes. :) I'm pretty sure that's what he said. So at this point, according to elderly East Indian males, I am looking pretty f*****g hot. I'll take this as a sign of progress. :D

He also asked me what I did for a living. Wanting to get back to my workout, I avoided saying "retired" and said something about doing investing stuff on the computer. I've learned, after several similar inquiries at the gym, this is the safer response. :)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #637 on: March 16, 2016, 07:23:26 AM »

So I dance- side hustle
Costume- side hustle.

Nice! I used to be a professional dancer in a very specific type of field (I don't give it away on here because it would then be easy to figure out who I am) and I coached until a few years ago (similar to you, I did it to pay for my own training until I quit), but I gave up my certification a few years ago because I was tired of dealing with the sexist racist world of that sport. It also had pretty brutal hours as a side hustle because I primarily coached high schoolers, so it was 4:30AM training sessions most days.

A Barre studio near me is recruiting for instructors and it seems like it's a $400 certification and some simple anatomy tests and then they guarantee you 3-4 classes a week at $35/class. It sounds like they're mostly looking for weekend and early morning people as well, which is ideal. And extra $500/month would get me a lot closer to FI a lot faster and it would pay for my fitness habit- and barely eat into my schedule since I workout at those times normally. A friend works there (as a childcare provider, not an instructor) and she really likes the corporate attitude there.

It seems like fitness instructor side hustle is a really good combo with a day job and a goal of FIRE - easily scaled down/up independent job.

I say do it-
the only down sides is "you have to be there" so while you have SOME control- you still gotta show up- and sometimes that gets tiring- I really enjoyed it over all. working at an LA fitness wasn't lucrative enough to really make it worth my while (an extra 30-40 bucks and I was spending 4-6 hrs at the gym extra) so it was a huge time suck- but now I appreciate working at my dance studio and what that affords me and it's settled into a nice way to spend my days.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #638 on: March 16, 2016, 07:26:15 AM »

You want me to add the goals just like that to the tracking post? I'm fine with it, just want to make sure.

To everyone else, I swear there was someone who posted and met a goal, but I can't find it. Am I hallucinating, or did that post get deleted?

You don't need to physically add me to the list- I'm pretty consistent with my goals- I just want to be involved in the community and this is a space I feel comfortable talking about stuff I love- but I don't need to have hard and fast goals to clutter the page.   That was more a general announcement of where I am and what I'm doing this year (I mean- I have hard and fast goals- but there is no guarantee- I want a 325 DL and a 265 squat- 200 bench- but well... training is great and all- but you never know. which is why it's in my head but not a hard and fast goal)

Unless- well- I'm getting the strong side eye on that LOL And then i'll quietly back on out!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #639 on: March 16, 2016, 07:45:28 AM »

You don't need to physically add me to the list- I'm pretty consistent with my goals- I just want to be involved in the community and this is a space I feel comfortable talking about stuff I love- but I don't need to have hard and fast goals to clutter the page.   That was more a general announcement of where I am and what I'm doing this year (I mean- I have hard and fast goals- but there is no guarantee- I want a 325 DL and a 265 squat- 200 bench- but well... training is great and all- but you never know. which is why it's in my head but not a hard and fast goal)

Unless- well- I'm getting the strong side eye on that LOL And then i'll quietly back on out!

Many of us are financial nerds who frequently make spreadsheets for each other. Of COURSE we want to put you on a list =P

Concrete goals or not, I know *I* don't mind you joining the thread. I guess it's ultimately up to Jordan though, since he is mega-thread creator/curator and all.

jordanread

« Reply #640 on: March 16, 2016, 07:53:37 AM »

Many of us are financial nerds who frequently make spreadsheets for each other. Of COURSE we want to put you on a list =P

Concrete goals or not, I know *I* don't mind you joining the thread. I guess it's ultimately up to Jordan though, since he is mega-thread creator/curator and all.

I'll probably add JoRocka, just because I'd love to see a goal that is 'lift some shit'.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #641 on: March 16, 2016, 12:38:16 PM »
Alright then- Operation Be fabulous and lift some shit is on and up and running! Thanks for the #nerdlove

I'm ending my 6 week program right now (unfortunately not as smoothly as I'd like) - so starting April I'll need to make up my mind about a new program- I was running Sheiko- then transitioned mid bulk to a pure size only program (they cancelled my lift)- and now I'm cutting- so I won't be putting on a ton of weight on the bar- but I'd at least like to maintain my lifts and all. When I get on a new program I can add some more concrete goals.   I'm dropping weight right now like crazy post bulk (okay- I shamelessly joined a weight loss comp at work to take their money- I had to drop weight anyway- might as well make some money while doing it)- so new program will include cardio- that will be my real actual- I need to do it goal.  When I'm not slammed at work I"ll take a look at the spreadsheet.

So- yeah- be swole- lift some shit- be fabulous.  Let's do this!!!
<woot woot>

jordanread

« Reply #642 on: March 16, 2016, 12:49:42 PM »
Alright then- Operation Be fabulous and lift some shit is on and up and running! Thanks for the #nerdlove
Glad to have you here. And now I'm thinking of other names for this 'operation':

Operation Lift Some Shit to be Swollenly Fabulous
Operation Fabulously Swollen (MonkeyJenga would have a field day with this one)
Operation Lift Some Fabulous Shit

Hmm.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #643 on: March 16, 2016, 12:57:17 PM »
Between being busy at work and disappointed at my fitness progress I've been ignoring new posts to this thread

Finding out I have just under a month until a friend meetup/reunion has kicked me into getting back on track - so here I am again.

To comment on my goals:
Drop >= 25.2lbs of fat

Currently down ~9lb. This was more but obviously with the lack of exercise and overeating it crept up!

3 sets/10 pull ups

3x3. Some improvement needed however it'll get easier as I get lighter.

Complete 5K

The longest run so far has been just under 2.7k.

Static hold  3rd-world squats

I can't hold it yet and have a long way to go.

'Resolve' patellar tendonitis in knee

I've been trying!

Once patellar tendonitis is resolved, start weight training

A long shot by the end of the year.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #644 on: March 16, 2016, 01:26:53 PM »
"•1 set/1 bench press 150lbs
•1 set/1 squat 200lbs
•1 set/1 deadlift 250lbs
•Maintain <= 20% body fat
•Intake <= 2750 calories
•Add mass to hamstrings and shoulders"

I have seen some awesome progress on adding mass to my hamstrings and shoulders and that makes me happy. Intake is slowly increasing (my goal) I'm at about 2300 calories now. Body fat is a little higher than I'd like at about 22%, hopefully I can keep it there and push it back down a tad starting in the summer.

I was feeling severely under-recovered(sore, achy, tired) the last few weeks and have missed a lot of weight lifting days in the gym. I took a weekend off and on vacation and will be getting back into the gym today. I need to make more progress on my strength goals.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #645 on: March 16, 2016, 04:15:38 PM »
•1 set/1 squat 200lbs
•1 set/1 deadlift 250lbs
•Intake <= 2750 calories

I have seen some awesome progress on adding mass to my hamstrings and shoulders and that makes me happy. Intake is slowly increasing (my goal) I'm at about 2300 calories now. Body fat is a little higher than I'd like at about 22%, hopefully I can keep it there and push it back down a tad starting in the summer.

I was feeling severely under-recovered(sore, achy, tired) the last few weeks and have missed a lot of weight lifting days in the gym. I took a weekend off and on vacation and will be getting back into the gym today. I need to make more progress on my strength goals.

Probably going to have to up the calories some if you're continually feeling down.  Although that might depend on your regimen, I'm assuming you're actually doing more than you've listed above.  Going for heavy lifts tends to burn more calories than lower weight higher volume stuff so you gotta shovel it in.

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #646 on: March 16, 2016, 04:17:54 PM »
Between being busy at work and disappointed at my fitness progress I've been ignoring new posts to this thread

Finding out I have just under a month until a friend meetup/reunion has kicked me into getting back on track - so here I am again.

To comment on my goals:
Drop >= 25.2lbs of fat

Currently down ~9lb. This was more but obviously with the lack of exercise and overeating it crept up!

3 sets/10 pull ups

3x3. Some improvement needed however it'll get easier as I get lighter.

Complete 5K

The longest run so far has been just under 2.7k.

Static hold  3rd-world squats

I can't hold it yet and have a long way to go.

'Resolve' patellar tendonitis in knee

I've been trying!

Once patellar tendonitis is resolved, start weight training

A long shot by the end of the year.

Is it infrapatellar or suprapatellar tendinitis?

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #647 on: March 16, 2016, 05:02:07 PM »
•1 set/1 squat 200lbs
•1 set/1 deadlift 250lbs
•Intake <= 2750 calories

Probably going to have to up the calories some if you're continually feeling down.  Although that might depend on your regimen, I'm assuming you're actually doing more than you've listed above.  Going for heavy lifts tends to burn more calories than lower weight higher volume stuff so you gotta shovel it in.

You are probably right, I'm coming off a massive deficit from competing in an NPC competition in November. I was at 1260 calories the last few weeks of my cut and have been reversing as best I can while trying to not add too much body fat (but ugh my body really wants to eat).  So 2300 calories is a big improvement from where I was, but I definitely can see eating more should help.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #648 on: March 17, 2016, 07:32:31 AM »
I missed a weekly accountability check in while traveling for work, but last week I got in all my runs, a swim, and another session of racquetball (plus another monster bruise. I really need to quit that sport. Or play in full padding). While traveling, I did manage a run with a group of fellow travelers, I do enjoy exploring new places on a run. Now it's a Thursday that feels like a Monday and I need to get my workouts and food back on track. I ate solely at restaurants for 4 days and while the food was uniformly excellent, I now feel sluggish and in need of healthier options.

From my post last week on weightlifting motivation... I've started throwing in some body weight exercises after my runs/before stretching. So last week after two runs I did a couple sets of push-ups and held a few different plank variations. After another run I did squats and lunges. I'm going to see how long I can make this stick and try to increase reps while occasionally switching things up to help keep it fresh. Completely open to ideas on basic body weight exercises to add.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #649 on: March 17, 2016, 02:02:33 PM »
Is it infrapatellar or suprapatellar tendinitis?

Good question! It's below the kneecap - as in towards the foot, not behind it, so I would potentially say infrapatellar?

Unfortunately though it's tendonosis rather than tendonitis.