Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 402868 times)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #550 on: February 29, 2016, 06:43:43 AM »
Check-in:

• 4 runs
  • 1 swim

My mid-week runs were terrible last week. No particular reason, just felt sluggish and off. But my long run on Saturday turned out to be one of my best runs of this training cycle so far. Running (and working out in general) is so weird.

The new Y had a soft open this weekend for current members, so DH and I went up for a swim. There were more people just in pool area than I had ever seen in the entire old building at one time. It was nice to see. I hope people stick with it and keep coming back even when the newness wears off a bit.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #551 on: February 29, 2016, 07:26:46 AM »
Good weekend - ran 9.4 miles on Saturday and last night I hit the gym and did my heaviest deadlifts since last summer 175# 2x5 (PR 200# x1). 

Now I'm headed to New Mexico all week for work and it's going to be an exercise and nutritional shit show.

purephase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #552 on: February 29, 2016, 01:46:44 PM »
Im a bit late into this thread.

Goals for the year
PB at the Marathon (PBd at 5k, 10k, half marathon and full marathon last year)
Run the 5km under 20 minutes, this might be a bit beyond me at this point, my PB is 21.19 (last year) and ran a 21.35 in my first 5k this year at the weekend without pushing 100 percent, but a minute and 20 seconds to get below 20 minutes is a hell of a lot.
Just started to work out with weights again after about 7 years to improve my strength for running. So strength goal is.
Squats 200lb x 8 reps.
General goals are to try and cut back as much as I can with my sugar intake and to reduce the amount of meat I eat.
So far I have only made a slight improvement in the sugar reduction but only had meat twice in February and had fish a couple of times a week.

jordanread

« Reply #553 on: February 29, 2016, 02:44:53 PM »
[...]Goals for the year[...]

purephase, welcome to the gauntlet. I've got you added to the tracking post.

• Complete a 5K run
Done.  Ran it today, my final time was 0:30:41.  I think it's an okay time?  I was in the top quarter of all the runners competing, middle of the pack for guys running, and 9th place out of 13 for my gender/age bracket.  Thinking of doing a 5k mud run, a 10k, and/or a 5k zombie run.  With the goal of beating my previous time.

• 1 set/5 pullup (Stretch: 1set/>10 pullups)
Haven't been actively working on this goal besides all-around strength training, but I can do 3.

Ron, I'm sorry for not noticing this earlier, but you've got two of your goals already met, now have your stretch goal as a new goal, set a new stretch goal, and did it all in the first two months of the year. You are kicking ass!!!

I'm going to schedule some time to go through these posts and make sure that I didn't miss any more achievements, but if you have hit a goal, and I didn't get it updated (or if I missed your goals and didn't add you to the tracking post) please comment to save me some time.

purephase

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #554 on: February 29, 2016, 02:57:52 PM »
Thanks for the welcome jordanread

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #555 on: February 29, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Great work everyone!

I rode the bicycle (hope to get my own later in March) to work once last week, first time since my trial run and it went just fine. It's a short ride, unfortunately it's up a pretty steep incline most of the way(it's actually 2 hills, up/down and up/down :/ so it's literally "uphill both ways"). I survived and was only a little sweaty, once I start riding consistently I'll have to start driving maybe once a week and bringing in my toiletries and a stash of work clothes, the good news is we have showers at work.

My lifting program has been pretty consistent, last week I missed one day. I had a bad week the previous week though and missed most days. I'm working on finding balance in my routines: my lifting and cardio schedule as well as my macro nutrient tracking. I took some days off from macro tracking and tried to stay intuitive, scale weight has been fluctuating a lot with the change in carbohydrate intake. I think it's mostly just an adjustment in fluid balance, but I know I should be a little more consistent for a bit to keep from seeing any lasting negative changes in body composition.

I just signed up for a yoga teacher training course. It's a 200 hour course that meets the Yoga Alliance's standards for "Registered Yoga Teacher." I start that at the end of March and I'm very excited. I need to start practicing a little more regularly to be sure I'm ready. I need to revise my goals a bit... still thinking on this one though. Probably something like attend a yoga class 2 times per week and do an at home yoga session an additional 2 times per week? Fitting this in around my weight lifting is going to be challenging. I'll need to adjust my lifting schedule to something less frequent I think to make room for the yoga. That will for sure happen once the training course starts...so until then... I guess we'll see how the next two weeks shake out.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #556 on: February 29, 2016, 05:39:57 PM »
How does that yoga certification work? How many days a week/hrs?

My wife does yoga classes twice and cycling classes 3-4x a week, plus heavy weightlifting with me another 4 days a week.

She just got certified to teach cycling classes and has started teaching a few classes a week. She would like to do yoga eventually as well. She doesn't work other than that so has time to get certified for more stuff. Just taking it slow for now.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #557 on: February 29, 2016, 05:48:47 PM »
For my end of the month check in I'm down 5-6 lbs. Diet has been spot on with a light cheat meal about every other week. Hit 4 days of week lifting every week with 20 minutes of cardio after on every day except one. I averaged about 7 hours and 45 minutes of sleep every week. I don't know if I could sleep more if I tried. Usually if I sleep too much then I sleep poorly the next night.

My plan will continue for next month. Hopefully to continue on as smoothly.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #558 on: March 01, 2016, 10:14:53 AM »
I just signed up for a yoga teacher training course. It's a 200 hour course that meets the Yoga Alliance's standards for "Registered Yoga Teacher." I start that at the end of March and I'm very excited.

So cool! I dream of someday getting my RYT200 (along with a CF-L1). I love learning about my hobbies. :)

Same here! I have been doing yoga for almost 6 years now and this has been on my bucket list for several years now. :)

How does that yoga certification work? How many days a week/hrs?

My wife does yoga classes twice and cycling classes 3-4x a week, plus heavy weightlifting with me another 4 days a week.

She just got certified to teach cycling classes and has started teaching a few classes a week. She would like to do yoga eventually as well. She doesn't work other than that so has time to get certified for more stuff. Just taking it slow for now.

Different studios offer different schedules. The one I signed up for is 20 hrs/week for 10 weeks, the classes are Thursday and Friday evenings and then all day Saturday and Sunday for the duration.

I'm probably going to do a full body weight lifting circuit twice a week once I start the yoga training, that way I can get in a rest day and still maintain my current strength/mass. I work a 40 hour/week job as an engineer on top of all this...but I like to be busy. :D

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #559 on: March 01, 2016, 12:20:16 PM »

For February I just want to concentrate on doing something at least 5 days a week. That can be stretching, riding, strength training, yoga, going for a walk, etc. Once I get in the habit of regularly doing "something" then I can concentrate on specifying what that "something" should be

I talked to a gym just down the road yesterday and am going to send an email to the lead personal trainer to see if they have one that would fit with my goals. This gym is very convenient (a mile away, ride by it when I bike commute to work) and has a ton of equipment, indoor pool, and group classes, but if I don't end up thinking it'll be a good fit I may check out other gyms too.
February Recap:
I did a good job of doing "something" at least 5 days a week. I got at least 30 minutes of cardio 13 times, did a thorough stretch 8 times, did strength training 7 times.
I also signed up for the gym very close to home and bought 6 sessions with a personal trainer (after he nicely gave me 3 for free). I meet with him once a week and he said he's put together an additional workout for me each week. I'm working on getting in the habit of going in the morning before work since my evenings have been really busy lately.
Unfortunately since we're in the middle of a painfully slow kitchen remodel I haven't really cooked in over a week so we've done a ton of going out to eat. I make as good of choices as I can and have managed to not gain any weight in the last two weeks but I hate to think of where I could be if we had eaten at home. But I'm committing to cooking this week even if it's inconvenient (there's a huge cabinet currently blocking my sink and dishwasher and making it hard to get to other cabinets and stove)

I also found a couple of actual running stores nearby (instead of sporting goods stores) and will try them out to see what they think about my shoes. I'd love to not have pain in my heel at all times

Have you filmed your running stride? Could be you're heel striking too hard and taking too long of strides. Worth checking at any rate =)

https://youtu.be/--YU8YcWeUU

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #560 on: March 01, 2016, 01:04:35 PM »
So... the new Y has a racquetball court. DH is super excited. He loves racquetball, me... not so much. But I'm a nice wife (sometimes) so I agreed to go play with him last night. Turns out that ten year layoff of playing did not improve my already dismal coordination. I have a nicely bruised cheek this morning and a desire to find DH a new racquetball partner. Decent workout though. Granted, a lot of that came from my running wildly after the ball, but whatever.

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #561 on: March 01, 2016, 06:20:18 PM »
End of February already!!

Doing ok- but just ok - on my fitness goals so far. I'm feeling a little like I'm losing momentum somehow.

Strength Training <= 2X/week (annual average)

So far so good. I'm not sure its enough though.

1-2X/week outdoor activities (annual average)
hmmm... not doing so great- though I have been walking to work a lot (about 2 miles each way). the snow just has not been good enough to get out regularly for skiing. I think I've only been out 1 time downhill, and 4 or 5 times cross country. And one really long ice skate (a few short family skates). I got so spoiled last year with the beautiful snow. On the plus side- pretty soon it will be hiking season if this weather holds!

Summit Mt. Katahdin
To come- starting to look at dates and line up some companions. I need to book the campsite soon.

>=50% commute under own power
I think I'm at about 50%. Some weeks I do almost all my commutes on foot, and then I start loving my motor scooter. It's just so quick and easy! I'd like to find a way to track my commutes so that I can see whether I'm averaging out over time. Anybody have an app for that? I'd like something that I can update retroactively (some habit apps don't let you go back in time and mark off several accomplishments at once. for example if I wanted to log in once a week and track that I had commuted 4 times on foot).

My strength goals seem to be too low. I think I wasn't reading the charts right when I set them. To be at intermediate level I need to get to:
Squat: 160lbs (current 135)
Bench Press: 103lbs (current 90)
Deadlift: 298lbs (current 111)

I should be able to achieve these goals and more. I don't have too far to go, except on the deadlift, which I don't do regularly and haven't focused on much, so I should be able to make quick progress once I focus.

Jordanread- could you update those goals for me? Also, could you add one more- I'm still working on getting my first pull up!
Thank you!!

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #562 on: March 01, 2016, 06:42:51 PM »
Lucky girl - I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers, but that 298 for deadlift is insanely high for a woman, especially one with a squat goal of 160. I'd say more like 220 would be reasonable for someone that squats 160.

FYI, my wife is about 115 lbs and squats about 240. There's now way even she could deadlift 298.

Don't be too hard on yourself over that weight :)

jordanread

« Reply #563 on: March 01, 2016, 06:48:13 PM »
End of February already!!

Doing ok- but just ok - on my fitness goals so far. I'm feeling a little like I'm losing momentum somehow.

Strength Training <= 2X/week (annual average)

So far so good. I'm not sure its enough though.

1-2X/week outdoor activities (annual average)
hmmm... not doing so great- though I have been walking to work a lot (about 2 miles each way). the snow just has not been good enough to get out regularly for skiing. I think I've only been out 1 time downhill, and 4 or 5 times cross country. And one really long ice skate (a few short family skates). I got so spoiled last year with the beautiful snow. On the plus side- pretty soon it will be hiking season if this weather holds!

Summit Mt. Katahdin
To come- starting to look at dates and line up some companions. I need to book the campsite soon.

>=50% commute under own power
I think I'm at about 50%. Some weeks I do almost all my commutes on foot, and then I start loving my motor scooter. It's just so quick and easy! I'd like to find a way to track my commutes so that I can see whether I'm averaging out over time. Anybody have an app for that? I'd like something that I can update retroactively (some habit apps don't let you go back in time and mark off several accomplishments at once. for example if I wanted to log in once a week and track that I had commuted 4 times on foot).

My strength goals seem to be too low. I think I wasn't reading the charts right when I set them. To be at intermediate level I need to get to:
Squat: 160lbs (current 135)
Bench Press: 103lbs (current 90)
Deadlift: 298lbs (current 111)

I should be able to achieve these goals and more. I don't have too far to go, except on the deadlift, which I don't do regularly and haven't focused on much, so I should be able to make quick progress once I focus.

Jordanread- could you update those goals for me? Also, could you add one more- I'm still working on getting my first pull up!
Thank you!!

I've updated your goals to what you specified in the tracking post. Congrats. I went back and looked at your initial post, and I think I'm the one who actually screwed up. I quoted your initial goal post below, and rereading it, I realized that you mentioned the intermediate level, and then posted your personal bests. I either misunderstood, and made your personal records your goals, or realized that I didn't know what your actual weight was (although I could probably assume gender) and that it was required to calculate the intermediate level. Also, those were one rep max, and what I had earlier were multiple. Would you like me to mark the existing ones as complete (like I did since I was an idiot and assumed the reps were the same as what I had originally) as shown below, or just delete the crossed out goals? I also added your pullup goal, and realized I missed a general body fat goal, so I added that as well. As far as your progress goes, I think the feeling of losing momentum may be based on what you were saying as far as maybe needing to up some of the goals. It sounds like you are sticking with the goals (and kicking their ass), but aren't feeling quite challenged enough. At that point, just re-evaluate and go from there.

• Strength Training >= 2X/week (annual average)
  • 1 set/5 squats 115lbs
  • 1set/5 bench press 75lbs
  • 1 set/8 deadlifts 90lbs
  • 1 set/5 squats 160lbs
  • 1set/5 bench press 103lbs
  • 1 set/8 deadlifts 198lbs
  • 1-2X/week outdoor activities (annual average)
  • Summit Mt. Katahdin
  • >=50% commute under own power
  • 1 set/1 pullup
  • Decrease body fat by >= 2%

Initial goal post:
Hello again Friends! Happy New Year!

I've been thinking about my goals for this year, and how much progress I made last year- thanks in part to the thread!

In 2015 one goal will be to strength train an average of at least 2x a week. Using the Strength Standards site posted earlier, I'd like to get to "Intermediate" status on my Squat, Bench Press and Deadlift. I was at my best at the end of November before the Holidays, predictably, wreaked havoc on my schedule:
- Squat: 5 reps of 115 (Novice Level)
- Bench Press: 5 reps of 75 (Novice to Intermediate)
- Deadlift: 8 reps of 90 (Beginner)

I would also like to get outdoors for some athletic adventuring an average a 1-2 times per week throughout the year. The activities will change (skiing/Cross Country Skiing/ Iceskating for Winter, Swimming/ Hiking/ Running for Spring Summer Fall).

I would also like to get to the top of Katahdin this year, hopefully with my hiking buddies from last year.

And I would really like to get a body fat caliper, or figure out some way to measure this. Since I don't have a baseline measurement, I'm going to say that I want to decrease my body fat by 2-4 points.

And, I'd like to increase the consistency with with I commute in some sort of self-powered way. I'd like to average half my commutes self-powered (be it walking or biking).

Thanks everyone! And Thanks especially to Jordanread for managing this post!

Lucky girl - I'm not sure where you're getting those numbers, but that 298 for deadlift is insanely high for a woman, especially one with a squat goal of 160. I'd say more like 220 would be reasonable for someone that squats 160.

FYI, my wife is about 115 lbs and squats about 240. There's now way even she could deadlift 298.

The standards were from the resource post, specifically these Strength Standards. Looking at her other goals, I worked backwards, and found that the deadlift for that level was 198, not 298. I adjusted accordingly. LG, let me know if I assumed wrong again.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #564 on: March 02, 2016, 01:57:12 PM »
Yesterday I started what I call "Death March":

no booze, no coffee, no "fun money", and 30x30 workout challenge (minimum 30 minutes a day of working out for 30 days).

I'm also doing this "journey to splits" stretching routine, which I think is a good baseline for getting to the splits again.

Annnd I'm tracking all the individual categories in my grocery purchases!

Should be a fun month of challenges!  The Death March is mostly tongue-in-cheek, when I've done this month before I feel fantastic + focused + I spend very little money!

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #565 on: March 02, 2016, 03:28:14 PM »

no booze, no coffee, no "fun money", and 30x30 workout challenge (minimum 30 minutes a day of working out for 30 days).

I'm also doing this "journey to splits" stretching routine, which I think is a good baseline for getting to the splits again.

Should be a fun month of challenges!  The Death March is mostly tongue-in-cheek, when I've done this month before I feel fantastic + focused + I spend very little money!

I like the name, I'd be calling it something worse like "suffocation month" or "total prisoner month" or we could be more upbeat and go with "ultimate survivor/scavenger/warrior month." Lol.

Good on you! I joke that I can't be on a budget and a diet at the same time, it's too restrictive for me and leads to "bingeing." :P

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #566 on: March 02, 2016, 03:33:00 PM »

I like the name, I'd be calling it something worse like "suffocation month" or "total prisoner month" or we could be more upbeat and go with "ultimate survivor/scavenger/warrior month." Lol.

Good on you! I joke that I can't be on a budget and a diet at the same time, it's too restrictive for me and leads to "bingeing." :P

I can budget and diet, but then I'm going to drink. For me, it's do any 2 of 3: watch food, watch money, watch booze. Take your pick =P Usually it's the drinking that I keep. Yay wine!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #567 on: March 02, 2016, 03:43:52 PM »

I can budget and diet, but then I'm going to drink. For me, it's do any 2 of 3: watch food, watch money, watch booze. Take your pick =P Usually it's the drinking that I keep. Yay wine!
Spoken like a true Pacific Northwesterner!

I haven't watched my diet since I was a competitive athlete 10 years ago*. I make food, and then I put it my mouth. It is all made of plants. I am happy. Budgeting is honestly the only way I "diet" - expensive foods are probably bad for me, so if I stick to a low grocery budget, I'm probably following a decent diet.

Not drinking is only hard for me because I struggle with "replacements" that are inexpensive and easy and signal "time to relax" to my brain. I've been doing sparkling water + bitters after work as a whiskey replacement on my non-drinking days.

*I just realized being vegan might count as a diet, but that's just baseline for me after 22 years, so I don't really think of it as a diet.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #568 on: March 02, 2016, 06:20:39 PM »

Spoken like a true Pacific Northwesterner!

I haven't watched my diet since I was a competitive athlete 10 years ago*. I make food, and then I put it my mouth. It is all made of plants. I am happy. Budgeting is honestly the only way I "diet" - expensive foods are probably bad for me, so if I stick to a low grocery budget, I'm probably following a decent diet.

Not drinking is only hard for me because I struggle with "replacements" that are inexpensive and easy and signal "time to relax" to my brain. I've been doing sparkling water + bitters after work as a whiskey replacement on my non-drinking days.

*I just realized being vegan might count as a diet, but that's just baseline for me after 22 years, so I don't really think of it as a diet.

That's what I meant by "watch what I eat". I don't diet, but I do try to eat only real foods. Basically, plants and animals, nothing from packages, etc. I do pretty dang well, and have been doing this for 5+ years now, but I occasionally slip into a little more lazy options- organic sausages, for example, or too many pre-prepared broths rather than making my own, etc. Or a latte. Or a questionable dinner out.

So I'm with you there- baseline. But sometimes my baseline lets a little more convenience semi-junk than I would prefer!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #569 on: March 03, 2016, 02:00:20 PM »
New PR: 175lbs on deadlift. Previously was 165lbs.

Worked clean and jerk a bit as well.

I'm getting excited. That goal of 200lbs for the deadlift suddenly doesn't feel quite so far away. (Although the stretch of 270lbs still seems impossible, but hey, never say never right?)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #570 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:27 AM »
No February fitness breakdown from me...because it is pretty much a carbon copy of January. ;) With the exception of a few more 10k runs thrown in. I head down to our Baja place towards the middle of this month. Although I won't be there as long as I was in Nov/Dec where I discovered that, upon returning to Vancouver, I had lost a lot of previous hard won muscle strength...I am still thinking that I may buy a month pass to the local gym there. I have just worked too hard to go BACKWARDS again.

I will of course keep up my running...I have a nice 5k route that I will probably double up on a few times a week.

Also thinking of trying some beach running....and here is a question for those who have done this...shoes or bare feet?

jordanread

« Reply #571 on: March 04, 2016, 10:43:41 AM »
[...]
Also thinking of trying some beach running....and here is a question for those who have done this...shoes or bare feet?
[...]

I wear minimalist shoes or go barefoot damn near all the time. However, as long as the sand isn't too hot, I'd suggest barefoot over regular shoes. The shifting sand provides a bit of instability (plus it's a hell of a workout running in sand) and I find I'm personally less likely to twist my ankle or something while barefoot. I don't do a lot of running, but I run around the Great Sand Dunes and did some running in Cancun, Florida, and California.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #572 on: March 04, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
[...]
[...]

I wear minimalist shoes or go barefoot damn near all the time. However, as long as the sand isn't too hot, I'd suggest barefoot over regular shoes. The shifting sand provides a bit of instability (plus it's a hell of a workout running in sand) and I find I'm personally less likely to twist my ankle or something while barefoot. I don't do a lot of running, but I run around the Great Sand Dunes and did some running in Cancun, Florida, and California.
It's so hard to run in sand! I usually go for running on the hard-pack near the ocean in shoes or running in the softer sand barefoot/minimal shoes. Good luck! It's exhausting!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #573 on: March 04, 2016, 01:28:05 PM »
[...]
[...]

It's so hard to run in sand! I usually go for running on the hard-pack near the ocean in shoes or running in the softer sand barefoot/minimal shoes. Good luck! It's exhausting!

I agree with both of the above. Shoes on the hard packed stuff, barefoot otherwise. The soft stuff especially will kill (in a mostly good way) your legs. I never liked running in the sand much, but I do appreciate what a good workout it can be.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #574 on: March 04, 2016, 05:22:37 PM »
Sand running was what gave me my original shin splints / achilles tendonitis issue. Resolved now. I thought it would be a good idea to go for a 45 minute run in bare feet on packed sand. Turns out my body had other ideas... I couldn't walk the next morning, and it took a good few months before I could run pain-free again.

Take it easy whichever way you go. And build up to it.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #575 on: March 05, 2016, 10:50:03 AM »
Sand running was what gave me my original shin splints / achilles tendonitis issue. Resolved now. I thought it would be a good idea to go for a 45 minute run in bare feet on packed sand. Turns out my body had other ideas... I couldn't walk the next morning, and it took a good few months before I could run pain-free again.

Take it easy whichever way you go. And build up to it.

I really appreciate the "beach running" tips. And Primm, I actually hurt my Achilles' tendon quite badly a few years ago, coincidently while running in Baja shortly after I had FIRE'd and was in my "hair on fire" trying to lose weight rapidly phase. Pushed things too hard...my Achilles' tendon will still be a touch sore after normal runs these days...so I will most definitely take you advice and "ease into" the beach running thing.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #576 on: March 06, 2016, 12:45:51 PM »
Worked out today, even though I didn't want to since I worked a weeeeeeird day yesterday. Did technique work.

I'm going to officially call it: I've checked a goal off my list! My front rack is spot on, and I can do a proper jerk reliably from the front rack position under load. My front squats are advancing quickly as well. So My goal to be able to do a proper front rack position has been met. Yay!

I think I'll have to start brain storming another set of goals potentially. I'm considering "do a pull up" as a new goal. And I'm a looooong ways off from that one, haha.

Front rack action shots forthcoming. We haven't had enough action shots around here! Also, I'm super proud I don't drop form at the bottom of my front squat, so I need to post for bragging rights =) Hope y'all don't mind!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #577 on: March 06, 2016, 05:14:41 PM »
Busted it on the incline walking this morning:  899 cals burned.

I know the treadmill totals are bogus, but still nice to hit a new high number!

Wow. The new high number is awesome, but I'm not sure where I'm disappointed or impressed by your self control that you stopped at 899. I would have had to do another minute to kick it over...

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #578 on: March 06, 2016, 05:14:56 PM »
Well, my hemming and hawing about how hard it is to stretch at home is over. I posted that I was looking for a free/cheap used yoga mat on Twitter and facebook, and within 2.5 hours, I had one on "indefinite loan" from a friend who "tried yoga for 2 weeks, like 4 years ago". Yay! Being a cheapskate pays off.

So now I really need to start stretching daily towards my splits in earnest.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #579 on: March 06, 2016, 06:03:17 PM »
Got a 10.4 mile slow run in today and felt good. Had on a brand new pair of shoes that rubbed a bit, but hopefully they'll break in and/or my feet will toughen up.  I was sort of dreading this run after spending all week in New Mexico eating the workshop-provided sandwich/chips/cookie lunch, and chile verde, enchiladas and beer for dinner every night.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #580 on: March 06, 2016, 07:25:46 PM »
Haha! That's more like it. :)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #581 on: March 06, 2016, 09:40:27 PM »
Rachel and I signed up for crossfit.

Which I guess means one of her goals gets checked off!

As far as process, mine too - we've have been very consistent about doing 2 or more cardio and 2 or more strength workouts per week, usually more.  Just looked back on the goals Jordan consolidated for us on page one, and my training log, apparently I hit one of them without noticing! 280 deadlift! Possibly a lifetime PR? Yay!

jordanread

« Reply #582 on: March 07, 2016, 05:12:27 AM »
I'm going to officially call it: I've checked a goal off my list! My front rack is spot on, and I can do a proper jerk reliably from the front rack position under load. My front squats are advancing quickly as well. So My goal to be able to do a proper front rack position has been met. Yay!

Rachel and I signed up for crossfit.

Which I guess means one of her goals gets checked off!

As far as process, mine too - we've have been very consistent about doing 2 or more cardio and 2 or more strength workouts per week, usually more.  Just looked back on the goals Jordan consolidated for us on page one, and my training log, apparently I hit one of them without noticing! 280 deadlift! Possibly a lifetime PR? Yay!

I got to start this week off by marking 3 separate goals, for 3 separate people as complete in the tracking post. People, we are kicking ass!! Keep up the great work. Bakari, just out of morbid curiosity, how are those one armed pull ups coming?

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #583 on: March 07, 2016, 07:13:38 AM »
Weekly Check-in:

• 3 runs
  • 1 swim
  • 1 round of yoga
  • Played racquetball... which I'm  not sure can be counted as a work out, but left me tired and sore, so I'm going with it.

I missed a run this week, and I think my legs are happier for it. I also set another PR in the 5K! Officially: 28:54.5

On the flip side, I have apparently just quit doing any strength work. And find myself completely unmotivated to restart. Sigh. I really enjoy being active, love running in particular, but have yet to find any joy in any type of strength routine. I know many on here do a lot of strength work. Is it just something you naturally enjoy or do you have any motivation tips? I wonder if more concrete goals (than just I need to strength train)would help, but I'm still intimidated by the weights at the gym and the included with membership classes to "learn more about weights and proper form" are all during my work hours (more motivation for early retirement?)

jordanread

« Reply #584 on: March 07, 2016, 07:20:02 AM »
Weekly Check-in:

• 3 runs
  • 1 swim
  • 1 round of yoga
  • Played racquetball... which I'm  not sure can be counted as a work out, but left me tired and sore, so I'm going with it.

I missed a run this week, and I think my legs are happier for it. I also set another PR in the 5K! Officially: 28:54.5

On the flip side, I have apparently just quit doing any strength work. And find myself completely unmotivated to restart. Sigh. I really enjoy being active, love running in particular, but have yet to find any joy in any type of strength routine. I know many on here do a lot of strength work. Is it just something you naturally enjoy or do you have any motivation tips? I wonder if more concrete goals (than just I need to strength train)would help, but I'm still intimidated by the weights at the gym and the included with membership classes to "learn more about weights and proper form" are all during my work hours (more motivation for early retirement?)

I can't get myself motivated to do standard strength training, so I feel you there. The thing that got (and keeps) me motivated is the body weight strength training. The workouts themselves can be a bit boring, but they are relatively quick. Also, they are pretty functional, so I get to use that strength whenever. Doing a pullup or two on a tree I pass, attempting (and failing hilariously) the American Flag on vertical poles I stumble across, and the overall strength increases for when I do need to use it (I got to push a car almost a mile a couple of weekends ago) makes me feel good about it. And I feel stronger, which helps.

jordanread

« Reply #585 on: March 07, 2016, 07:23:17 AM »

And I just looked and saw that was an actual goal. Another one crossed off!! You beat your previous PR (from the goal) by a full half minute!!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #586 on: March 07, 2016, 08:45:19 AM »

Concrete goals definitely help. Also, for me, it's bonding time with the husband. He's my coach. We have a home gym, so I lack the self-conciousness I often have strength training at traditional gyms. Also, I can drop the weights and make noise without people glaring, which definitely helps.

The biggest thing has been moving into the olympic lifts though. Being able to do these incredibly complex compound movements... it makes me feel pretty badass. They are not easy to learn to do well. Added bonus that it's "not something women DO" and I feel extra cool, haha.

So the biggest thing for me is when I'm really pushing technique and skill. I find that way more rewarding than just muscular output. Particularly because I'm still at a stage where nueromuscular inhibition plays a big role, so I'm not even tapping my strength the way I will once I'm comfortable with the movement.

My take away: you'll definitely get bored if you're just doing the times tables day after day. You have to push yourself and learn some calculus, instead.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #587 on: March 07, 2016, 10:01:35 AM »
Bakari, just out of morbid curiosity, how are those one armed pull ups coming?

lol - not at all!
I've done them before in my life, but it was many a year ago. I have a long way to go...

I know many on here do a lot of strength work. Is it just something you naturally enjoy or do you have any motivation tips?
don't enjoy it at all, but I enjoy the results.  As soon as you find yourself opening tight jars with ease, rearranging the furniture in the house, or carrying 4 bags of groceries in each hand up the stairs at once, then it was worth all the drudgery. 
Actually, the motivation factor is why we started paying for crossfit (which is expensive even for a gym), even though we generally try to be as frugal as possible

I wonder if more concrete goals (than just I need to strength train)would help,
absolutely, 100%. I never stuck with it more than maybe a week without any specific goals.  In particular I find using the relatively neutral / objective standards such as these http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html or http://strengthlevel.com/strength-standards helpful. 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #588 on: March 07, 2016, 10:44:29 AM »
Well I'm feeling incredibly stupid about my shoes. A few of you had said that it sounds like my shoes are causing my shin/calf issues when trying to run and I kind of dismissed it since I love my shoes. Well this weekend we were painting the kitchen so I put on my old tennis shoes and almost immediately the pain in my heels were gone. Like magic! I guess the daily pain must have happened gradually with my new shoes so I didn't realize it hadn't been like that before. They didn't bother my arch or toes like prior shoes have so I was happy with them. I wore my old shoes all weekend and even today going back to my new ones (they're suitable for work, the old ones are not) my heels don't hurt yet. So I definitely need to invest in different shoes for running

I've found two pairs of good shoes helps: never wearing the same shoes on back to back days. It allows time for the insert to bounce back, and will lengthen the life of both pairs. This will also reduce the probability of foot fungus. All around, a win.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #589 on: March 07, 2016, 11:16:35 AM »
Well I'm feeling incredibly stupid about my shoes. A few of you had said that it sounds like my shoes are causing my shin/calf issues when trying to run and I kind of dismissed it since I love my shoes. Well this weekend we were painting the kitchen so I put on my old tennis shoes and almost immediately the pain in my heels were gone. Like magic! I guess the daily pain must have happened gradually with my new shoes so I didn't realize it hadn't been like that before. They didn't bother my arch or toes like prior shoes have so I was happy with them. I wore my old shoes all weekend and even today going back to my new ones (they're suitable for work, the old ones are not) my heels don't hurt yet. So I definitely need to invest in different shoes for running

I've found two pairs of good shoes helps: never wearing the same shoes on back to back days. It allows time for the insert to bounce back, and will lengthen the life of both pairs. This will also reduce the probability of foot fungus. All around, a win.
[whining]But I hate shoes! I just want to go barefoot all the time[/whining]
Probably a good idea to get at least one good pair for training and then wear my other shoes the rest of the time. High ho high ho off to the running store I need to go

I also hate shoes. Which is why I wear a lot of merrell barefoot trail gloves. They are all bendy and I can still feel the ground =) This makes me very weird to other nurses, who work in the complete opposite- highly padded, very tall clog type shoes called Danskos.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #590 on: March 07, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »

[whining]But I hate shoes! I just want to go barefoot all the time[/whining]
Probably a good idea to get at least one good pair for training and then wear my other shoes the rest of the time. High ho high ho off to the running store I need to go

I also hate shoes. Which is why I wear a lot of merrell barefoot trail gloves. They are all bendy and I can still feel the ground =) This makes me very weird to other nurses, who work in the complete opposite- highly padded, very tall clog type shoes called Danskos.
My new shoes that I love except they apparently don't help my heel are New Balance Vibram Minimusk. Not quite barefoot shoes but very minimal ones. Part of the reason I liked them so much. My older shoes are more standard tennis shoes and feel very clunky after wearing my new ones

Interesting. It sounds like you like to spend time barefoot, so I wouldn't think it's an adjustment issue. Do you ever have pain with being barefoot a lot? I never really had an adjustment period to barefoot shoes, but then, I also got suspended twice in school (as a little kid no less! Public school sucks.. just call a parent teacher conference, don't suspend someone, goodness) for refusing to wear shoes as a kid =P I do know a couple runners who can be completely barefoot, but get pain with certain barefoot shoes. No idea what the difference would be, but hey, maybe you're part of the pattern there.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #591 on: March 07, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »
Interesting. It sounds like you like to spend time barefoot, so I wouldn't think it's an adjustment issue. Do you ever have pain with being barefoot a lot? I never really had an adjustment period to barefoot shoes, but then, I also got suspended twice in school (as a little kid no less! Public school sucks.. just call a parent teacher conference, don't suspend someone, goodness) for refusing to wear shoes as a kid =P I do know a couple runners who can be completely barefoot, but get pain with certain barefoot shoes. No idea what the difference would be, but hey, maybe you're part of the pattern there.
I don't spend as much time barefoot as I did as a kid. Never got suspended for it but I'd go for walks on our chip and seal road (layers of gravel and tar) and climb trees barefoot all the time as a kid. I do notice heel issues if I spend all weekend without shoes. I notice it more when I'm walking on a concrete slab (even if there's carpet over it) which sucks since my new house is all slab where my old one was just the basement.

I was paying attention during my lunch walk today and I think my trouble heel angles ever-so-slightly inward in my barefoot shoes.

Oh yeah. If you're collapsing your arches at all, that'll cause some major pain. KStar (see: resource post) talks a lot about watching your knee tracking as an indicator of where your arch is. If your knees are tracking inward, thats a good indication you're letting your arch collapse. And remember- arches are a muscle. If they don't get a work out, they can get weak.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #592 on: March 07, 2016, 12:27:26 PM »
I don't spend as much time barefoot as I did as a kid. Never got suspended for it but I'd go for walks on our chip and seal road (layers of gravel and tar) and climb trees barefoot all the time as a kid. I do notice heel issues if I spend all weekend without shoes. I notice it more when I'm walking on a concrete slab (even if there's carpet over it) which sucks since my new house is all slab where my old one was just the basement.

I was paying attention during my lunch walk today and I think my trouble heel angles ever-so-slightly inward in my barefoot shoes.

Oh yeah. If you're collapsing your arches at all, that'll cause some major pain. KStar (see: resource post) talks a lot about watching your knee tracking as an indicator of where your arch is. If your knees are tracking inward, thats a good indication you're letting your arch collapse. And remember- arches are a muscle. If they don't get a work out, they can get weak.
Funny thing is that it's my left heel that hurts, but my right arch is the one that's acted up in the past. I have no problem with it in these shoes or my old ones I was wearing this weekend, but other shoes have nearly crippled me with shooting pain in the right arch. I actually did the C25k barefoot a few years ago and it helped my foot problems a lot because I was strengthening the arches but lately it's the heel that's bugging me. Can't seem to win. I'll have to pay attention to what my knees do when I walk

I have a super hard time watching my own knees while walking. I find filming myself doing a couple walks to/from and side to side in front of my phone camera makes it a lot easier. =)

big_owl

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #593 on: March 08, 2016, 03:11:30 AM »
Shoot. Guys, I really irritated my Achilles tendon. Not sure if it was the run or the WOD from this weekend, but here I am having skipped my run for today and wondering what the heck to do. I've been foam rolling my calves and using a lacrosse ball on my foot.

Advice? Wisdom?

If it doesn't hurt too bad, do some intense stretching of your calf muscles.  Get on some stairs and drop your heel off really deep and hold for several minutes back and forth on each leg.  I think most Achilles pain ends up being due to tight calf muscles....assuming you didn't do something acute to it.  You might try biking, it should be easier on the calves than running.  Or maybe one of those elliptical machines?  A truly injured Achilles will take a while to heal.  Luckily it's pretty tough to do serious damage to it.

1967mama

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #594 on: March 08, 2016, 12:42:47 PM »
I've started swimming a few laps at our local pool while my kids play and swim. I don't know how to do a proper front crawl so I've been swimming with a kick board. The first night I swam 6 laps and last night I did 8. This is a big step for me as I've been sedentary for many years. In the last 8 months I've lost 45 pounds on the Whole30 program and I'm feeling better than I have in years!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #595 on: March 08, 2016, 03:44:54 PM »
Went for a hike. 6.0 miles, with 2800ft gain. Decently hard. One of my favorite hikes.

This photo is from the half way point. Took us about 3 hours. No sit and stops except to eat at the top. We got snowed on a tiny bit at the top as well. I felt really good on the hike. It's nice, feeling like you've got reserves and can push yourself.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #596 on: March 08, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »
Shoot. Guys, I really irritated my Achilles tendon. Not sure if it was the run or the WOD from this weekend, but here I am having skipped my run for today and wondering what the heck to do. I've been foam rolling my calves and using a lacrosse ball on my foot.

Advice? Wisdom?

If it doesn't hurt too bad, do some intense stretching of your calf muscles.  Get on some stairs and drop your heel off really deep and hold for several minutes back and forth on each leg.  I think most Achilles pain ends up being due to tight calf muscles....assuming you didn't do something acute to it.  You might try biking, it should be easier on the calves than running.  Or maybe one of those elliptical machines?  A truly injured Achilles will take a while to heal.  Luckily it's pretty tough to do serious damage to it.

I don't think it's an acute injury - it's just a little irritated - and would agree that it seems to be from tight calves since the foam roller relieves the discomfort for a while. I will try the stair stretch (and plan to go for a bike ride). Thanks!

It doesn't sound TOOOO bad...when I hurt my Achilles a few years ago - while, of course going TOO HARD, TOO SOON after I FIRE'd (sprints up steep hills while carrying 50 excess pounds of flab...bad idea you say? Yep) - my injured tendon ballooned up to at least twice the thickness of the other one. Even to this day, it is noticeably THICKER than the other one, and occasionally aches a bit after exercise. I wasn't able to run full out for a few months...

Be careful with it.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #597 on: March 08, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »
How often do people weight train?

I've been mixing my workout between pilates/barre/lifting/cardio, but I haven't figured out the perfect "mix". I used to weight train twice a week as a dancer, but dancing is a lot of bodyweight training naturally.

EngineerYogi

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #598 on: March 09, 2016, 09:06:49 AM »
I've started swimming a few laps at our local pool while my kids play and swim. I don't know how to do a proper front crawl so I've been swimming with a kick board. The first night I swam 6 laps and last night I did 8. This is a big step for me as I've been sedentary for many years. In the last 8 months I've lost 45 pounds on the Whole30 program and I'm feeling better than I have in years!

Congratulations, that is awesome! Just keep making progress :)
Went for a hike. 6.0 miles, with 2800ft gain. Decently hard. One of my favorite hikes.

This photo is from the half way point. Took us about 3 hours. No sit and stops except to eat at the top. We got snowed on a tiny bit at the top as well. I felt really good on the hike. It's nice, feeling like you've got reserves and can push yourself.

Gorgeous view!

How often do people weight train?

I've been mixing my workout between pilates/barre/lifting/cardio, but I haven't figured out the perfect "mix". I used to weight train twice a week as a dancer, but dancing is a lot of bodyweight training naturally.

I lift 5-6 days a week, but I've been training for "physique" type competitions for 3 years now. I'm switching to lifting twice a week while I do yoga teacher training for 4 days a week.

I'd say 3-4 days a week of lifting is good for most people, going every other day or Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #599 on: March 09, 2016, 11:40:23 AM »
Was going to take it easy on the treadmill this morning, but changed my mind once I got going.

904 calories burned.  BOOYAH!

Lol...I see you were determined to crest the 900 calorie mark today. :)

Rest day for me...still going to walk into town for a few ingredients for tonight's gourmet creation (veggie burgers ;)). Lady Snow continues to be in awe of my culinary prowess.

Tomorrow is going to be all about blasting the arms and back - time to increase the weights again I think...feeling STRONG. Things are going extremely well.