Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 350556 times)

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #950 on: May 02, 2016, 12:29:32 PM »
McBuck
  • Complete 16 week marathon training by 5/1
  • Complete marathon <= 4:00:00 by 5/1
  • Lose 10lbs of fat by marathon
  • Gain 16lbs of muscle
  • 1 set/1 squat 405lbs
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 500lbs
  • Improve flexibility
My marathon was yesterday on a cold, wet, and windy day. I crossed the finish line completely soaked with numb hands just over my goal of 4 hours. Considering the conditions, I'm happy with my time.

My next step is to get back to the gym and start weightlifting (once I can walk again).
By the end of 2016, I want to:
Bulk to 181lbs
Squat 405lbs
Deadlift 500lbs

I've also been doing a lot of foam rolling in addition to my stretching. I found my Achilles is incredibly tight and limiting my ankle flexibility, so I've been focusing on that.

It'll be interesting to see how much strength I've lost during my marathon training and weight loss.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #951 on: May 02, 2016, 12:55:09 PM »
Well, we will see how my deadlifts go from here. We're having some... issues with a neighbor. Details are expanded in my journal, if anyone cares, but suffice to say, we're *trying* to be the nice/reasonable ones, and may be changing out home gym habits to achieve this.

For now, I will probably be focused more on metcon/aerobic type output than strength gains. This is good timing and what I normally do with hiking season anyway. Maybe I'll set a mileage goal for hikes for this year, since I have tracked them all so far. Hmmmm. Something to consider. But I don't know what a reasonable goal to set would be! I will also keep after my attempts to do a pull up.

jordanread

« Reply #952 on: May 02, 2016, 01:01:47 PM »
I've been confusing pullups with chinups.  I can do about 6 chinups, but I can do 4 pullups.  So close to that goal, but not as close as I thought.

I don't know what route you are going with this, but there is a section in the book related to this exact question. There is also some stuff about pronation (the natural tendency of the wrist to rotate as the arm moves). I've quoted a section from the book below:

Quote from: Paul Wade (Convict Conditioning)
Pullups vs Chinups

A lot of new trainees get confused about the difference between a chinup and a pullup. For example, some coaches claim that a pullup must be done so that the chest is lifted all the way to the bar, whereas in a chinup only the chin goes over the bar. In Europe, the term chinup is used instead of pullup, although they mean exactly the same thing. In some places in the US both terms are used interchangeably. Iíve met ex-football players who swear that a pullup is done with an overhand grip, whereas a chinup is done with an underhand grip. There seems to be no universal agreement. No wonder people get confused. In Convict Conditioning a pullup is any exercise where you pull the torso towards the hands against gravity, so the term casts a pretty wide net. But donít get too hung up on terminology. The names you use arenít as important as correct execution of the exercises.

Is it too late to join?

You think I would recommend it if it was too late?

Dipping my toes in as well, then.

Goals:
Pass the FitRanX Level 1 test
Do two pull ups
Lose 10 pounds
Lose an additional 10 pounds

Welcome to the gauntlet!! I have you added to the tracking post, and I put the FitRanX link in the goal description post. I wasn't positive about the two 10lbs goals, so I did one goal for 10lbs and one for 20lbs (they are from the start, so it doesn't mean 30lbs).

2016 Goals:
    • Complete 30 Days & 30 Stretches to Splits program <= 60 days
    • 1 set/10 lunges (without crying)
    • 1 set/10 push ups
    • Remove: >= 2 miles jogged | regularly play tennis | >= 2x/week cardio classes at gym
    • Add: Complete the YAYOG 10-week Basic Program

I've got your goals updated. I wasn't able to find a good description of the YAYOG program, but the book is on the resource post, and the program is laid out in there.

Somehow the bodyweight training, the  you don't need any equipment other than your own body feels so very Mustachian to me.

I feel the same way. I've written a fair amount on why I love bodyweight training earlier in this thread, and it sounds like you are in the same boat. It's a wonderful experience.

New month check in:

Jordan, you can cross off

• 1 set/5 muscle ups
  • >= 70 pushups <= 00:60
  • 1 set/1 bench press 210lbs

Kick ass!!! I've got the tracking post updated. How's the other half doing? She hasn't checked in for a while. Also, are you still doing tests on the Warped Wall now that it's over? Should I remove it, mark it as complete, or are you still working on it?

2. Jump up and grab the pull up bar, pull up my knees so my hips/thighs are at a 90 degree angle.
2. I believe these are either called hanging leg raises/lifts or hanging crunches

They are called hanging knee raises. They are step 6 on the Convict Conditioning leg raises big 6. You can see the progressions here meerkat . Folks, I know the 4 Hour Life (Convict Conditioning) links in the goal description post aren't working, and I'm in communication with the webmaster of the site because it's an error. Doing a google search for Convict Conditioning and the specific workout will provide access to the page, but I'm not going to change the links until the fix it.

McBuck
  • Complete 16 week marathon training by 5/1
  • Complete marathon <= 4:00:00 by 5/1
  • Lose 10lbs of fat by marathon
  • Gain 16lbs of muscle
  • 1 set/1 squat 405lbs
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 500lbs
  • Improve flexibility
My marathon was yesterday on a cold, wet, and windy day. I crossed the finish line completely soaked with numb hands just over my goal of 4 hours. Considering the conditions, I'm happy with my time.

My next step is to get back to the gym and start weightlifting (once I can walk again).
By the end of 2016, I want to:
Bulk to 181lbs
Squat 405lbs
Deadlift 500lbs

I've got your goals updated!!

jordanread

« Reply #953 on: May 02, 2016, 01:42:09 PM »
My tricky Achilles problem has been a factor of late...I felt it "pop" yesterday on a 5km hill run. It is beyond frustrating that my running progress might be held back by this issue when everything else is progressing so well. My half marathon in June looms large...

Body fat % is hovering right around 10%...not sure I want to make the necessary dietary changes that would be needed to get into the single digits.

Is the achilles just messing with you when you run, or does it screw with you when you walk and move around too? The beach running, was it low impact enough to not cause issues? As far as the single digit BF%, I'm kind of with ETYL on this one, although if I get close, I'd try to dip my toes in just to see if I can do it, but after that I'd focus on sustainability. As I've said before, when working out becomes work instead of fun, that's probably where I'll try to maintain.

Managed to lift 2 times last week- I didn't get the 3rd lift in on account of the fact I was away for a dance event- Danced Friday- live music (AWESOME)
Danced- again Friday- CD- all improve- which is normally my go to- but this was not super familar music to me- so was tricky- but felt super beat up from both sets- emotionally and physically.

Danced Saturday with the pro troupe- awesome set.

Sunday was recoup- and errand running day- and my errands took me WAY longer than I wanted- so no Sunday lift for me. WOMP WOMP.
That's okay- I was able to get my food sorted for the week AND meal prep- win win.

On to lifting for this week- looking like Monday, Thursday Friday- I might be able to do a Wed lift- but I know I have Thursday available. I don't have my gig schedule yet- but we'll work that out.

COME ON MAY!!! WOOT WOOT ALL THE LIFTING- and all the fabulousness.

I can't remember if you mentioned this before, and if it's too identifying or whatever, just let us know. That being said, what kind of dance gigs do you do? Is it super fun cardio stuff (like the hustle or club dancing), ballet, exotic (freaking upper body), ballroom? I do ballroom and latin relatively regularly, and my exotic dancing hasn't happened in a long time, and other dancing has decreased since I stopped drinking

Well, we will see how my deadlifts go from here. We're having some... issues with a neighbor. Details are expanded in my journal, if anyone cares, but suffice to say, we're *trying* to be the nice/reasonable ones, and may be changing out home gym habits to achieve this.

For now, I will probably be focused more on metcon/aerobic type output than strength gains. This is good timing and what I normally do with hiking season anyway. Maybe I'll set a mileage goal for hikes for this year, since I have tracked them all so far. Hmmmm. Something to consider. But I don't know what a reasonable goal to set would be! I will also keep after my attempts to do a pull up.

Were you still going to talk with the landlord and hope you can continue lifting, or are you going to wait until after summer?

On my front, I actually started doing AcroYoga with my SO. It's quite fun, and easier progressions than I thought, since I'm by no means flexible enough (or have enough core strength) to be very good at regular yoga. I'm enjoying the journey so far, and we'll see how I am at the end of the month. Maybe I'll post some pictures/videos. We're starting to record our sessions (currently in the living room, and then in the backyard...I hope to convince her to do it at the park) on the GoPro to get another perspective. I don't think I'm going to add a goal for that until next year, but I'll see how fast we progress. It's a fun joint effort that definitely improves communication.

To that end, I was getting dressed this morning, and while I still can get myself into a position where I'm a member of some roll club (I don't think it's 6 anymore), I'm getting enough tone in the midsection  to be able to create shadows!! W00T.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #954 on: May 02, 2016, 01:56:05 PM »
Welcome to the gauntlet!! I have you added to the tracking post, and I put the FitRanX link in the goal description post. I wasn't positive about the two 10lbs goals, so I did one goal for 10lbs and one for 20lbs (they are from the start, so it doesn't mean 30lbs).

Thank you!!

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #955 on: May 02, 2016, 02:41:35 PM »
On my front, I actually started doing AcroYoga with my SO. It's quite fun, and easier progressions than I thought, since I'm by no means flexible enough (or have enough core strength) to be very good at regular yoga. I'm enjoying the journey so far, and we'll see how I am at the end of the month. Maybe I'll post some pictures/videos. We're starting to record our sessions (currently in the living room, and then in the backyard...I hope to convince her to do it at the park) on the GoPro to get another perspective. I don't think I'm going to add a goal for that until next year, but I'll see how fast we progress. It's a fun joint effort that definitely improves communication.

To that end, I was getting dressed this morning, and while I still can get myself into a position where I'm a member of some roll club (I don't think it's 6 anymore), I'm getting enough tone in the midsection  to be able to create shadows!! W00T.

Nice progress!! Also, I have to give you the obligatory, "doing yoga is not about flexibility!" Anyone, and I mean anyone, can do yoga and would stand to improve whatever they already do by adding it. AcroYoga is generally a more advanced variety of yoga so I'm surprised you jumped into that without a basic yoga background/foundation. I'd love to see your videos. :)

jordanread

« Reply #956 on: May 02, 2016, 03:16:34 PM »

Nice progress!! Also, I have to give you the obligatory, "doing yoga is not about flexibility!" Anyone, and I mean anyone, can do yoga and would stand to improve whatever they already do by adding it. AcroYoga is generally a more advanced variety of yoga so I'm surprised you jumped into that without a basic yoga background/foundation. I'd love to see your videos. :)

Yeah, I know it's not primarily about flexibility, and definitely more about core strength and balance (although my tight hamstrings do cause some issues). I was 'introduced' to the idea of acroyoga (which I'd never heard of) because I was watching a few youtube videos, and then started doing other stuff...the autoplay function eventually played an ANW submission video (this one). It seemed like a cool thing, and I brought it up to the SO as something to look into at the start of next year, since I plan to incorporate some yoga later on (mostly because I want to do SUP yoga at the lake by my house in winter - I'm weird like that). However, apparently that triggered something in her brain, and she came home from work saying that we should start. right. now. She found this series, and we started doing some of the moves. It was a fun start, and I think it will be some super fun progression. We are going to start doing 20 minutes of basic yoga as a warm up. I'll see about posting the videos at the end of the month (it's kind of her call). We're already feeling pretty good about our progress even though it's only been a couple of days, so we'll probably stick with it, and maybe even do some aerial stuff a bit later.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #957 on: May 02, 2016, 03:46:20 PM »

Yeah, I know it's not primarily about flexibility, and definitely more about core strength and balance (although my tight hamstrings do cause some issues). I was 'introduced' to the idea of acroyoga (which I'd never heard of) because I was watching a few youtube videos, and then started doing other stuff...the autoplay function eventually played an ANW submission video (this one). It seemed like a cool thing, and I brought it up to the SO as something to look into at the start of next year, since I plan to incorporate some yoga later on (mostly because I want to do SUP yoga at the lake by my house in winter - I'm weird like that). However, apparently that triggered something in her brain, and she came home from work saying that we should start. right. now. She found this series, and we started doing some of the moves. It was a fun start, and I think it will be some super fun progression. We are going to start doing 20 minutes of basic yoga as a warm up. I'll see about posting the videos at the end of the month (it's kind of her call). We're already feeling pretty good about our progress even though it's only been a couple of days, so we'll probably stick with it, and maybe even do some aerial stuff a bit later.

I'd argue that yoga is actually about finding a way to quiet the mind. ;) All the other things that happen through poses (core, balance, flexibility, strength) are just side effects or methods to improve quieting the mind.

Very cool that you did jump in though! Sun Salutations are a great warm up and are the center of most yoga practices(and there are lots of variations that can be used based on your "level" so it can be easier or harder). SUP sounds awesome too, they offer it around here but I haven't gone yet. It's on my list of to dos.

jordanread

« Reply #958 on: May 02, 2016, 03:50:38 PM »

I'd argue that yoga is actually about finding a way to quiet the mind. ;) All the other things that happen through poses (core, balance, flexibility, strength) are just side effects or methods to improve quieting the mind.

Very cool that you did jump in though! Sun Salutations are a great warm up and are the center of most yoga practices(and there are lots of variations that can be used based on your "level" so it can be easier or harder). SUP sounds awesome too, they offer it around here but I haven't gone yet. It's on my list of to dos.

Ah yes. I meditate almost daily, so I view yoga as a more physical pursuit separate from quieting the mind, but I see your point. Also, I did find out today that SUP AcroYoga is a thing...the SO won't do it in the winter (she's the sane one), but maybe next summer.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #959 on: May 02, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »
Participants

ParticipantGoals
  • 1 set/1 bench press 150lbs
  • 1 set/1 squat 200lbs
  • 1 set/1 deadlift 250lbs
  • Maintain <= 20% body fat
  • Intake <= 2750 calories
  • Add mass to hamstrings and shoulders

I think I need different goals. In light of my recent trip(s) to therapy I've made a massive shift away from the bikini competitor mindset and most of these old goals were playing to that. Maybe I'll go back to lifting heavy again someday, but with yoga teacher training starting, the next few months heavy lifting isn't going to happen.

New goals!
Complete 20 yoga classes in May (challenge at the yoga studio)
Bike commute 3 times per week

short and sweet. :)

ETA: I've changed my username too. Anonymity purposes. ;)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:08:55 PM by EngineerYogi »

jordanread

« Reply #960 on: May 02, 2016, 04:53:30 PM »
EY, I've updated your goals to reflect your username. Might want to remove the quote above, just in case. I know it's pre-emptive, but it's up to you.

Only those two goals? That's what I got from your post. Do you want to add anything else?

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #961 on: May 02, 2016, 04:57:28 PM »
  • 1 set/5 muscle ups

Kick ass!!! I've got the tracking post updated. How's the other half doing? She hasn't checked in for a while. Also, are you still doing tests on the Warped Wall now that it's over? Should I remove it, mark it as complete, or are you still working on it?

Very good question.  I was wondering what to do with that as well.
I haven't been back to the ANW specific gym (its a long way from home) since my try out, but it feels like cheating to erase a goal like it was never there.  Maybe mark as Not Applicable?  One of these days I'ma travel to the other ANW gym in the area (I think about the same distance from home, but in the opposite direction, never yet been there) I've heard they have a warped wall more which more closely resembles the real thing.  Just so I can legitimately cross it off here on this thread :-)

By the way - I love how between your head wrap and your expression, you totally look the part of a "convict" who's been conditioning!!
And also, nice torso, very obvious progress compared to your earlier pic!

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #962 on: May 02, 2016, 05:07:15 PM »
EY, I've updated your goals to reflect your username. Might want to remove the quote above, just in case. I know it's pre-emptive, but it's up to you.

Only those two goals? That's what I got from your post. Do you want to add anything else?

Thank you! Nothing else to add. :) Two achievable goals which will better me.

jordanread

« Reply #963 on: May 02, 2016, 05:12:40 PM »
  • 1 set/5 muscle ups

Very good question.  I was wondering what to do with that as well.
I haven't been back to the ANW specific gym (its a long way from home) since my try out, but it feels like cheating to erase a goal like it was never there.  Maybe mark as Not Applicable?  One of these days I'ma travel to the other ANW gym in the area (I think about the same distance from home, but in the opposite direction, never yet been there) I've heard they have a warped wall more which more closely resembles the real thing.  Just so I can legitimately cross it off here on this thread :-)

By the way - I love how between your head wrap and your expression, you totally look the part of a "convict" who's been conditioning!!
And also, nice torso, very obvious progress compared to your earlier pic!

I'll just leave it on for now, since you are planning to visit the other gym. As far as my head wrap, I always wear one. It's a ridiculously expensive piece of cloth, but I have 7 buffs (which is what they are) and I have both the UV and Original, but primarily have them because they make my fedora fit better, they keep me cool on hikes (dipping them in rivers), and I can keep my hair long (SO likes it) but not have to ever use a comb. Lazy. I did not try to look all crazy convicted, I just woke up, but with that lense, it does look pretty freaking cool. Thanks!!

Thank you! Nothing else to add. :) Two achievable goals which will better me.

Sounds good. Happy riding. After May, I'll just cross that off at the end of May, and add your next month ones.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #964 on: May 02, 2016, 06:30:59 PM »
Vanity day at the gym today. High volume speed work with the duffalo bar on bench and upper body accessories. Btw, duffalo bars are awesome. I highly recommend one to improve your bench at the bottom (they are curved so the range of motion is greater). They also feel really good on my elbows and shoulders to me compared to the straight bar. I think something about the way you have to grip it relieves joint stress to some degree. My understanding is that duffalos are somewhat hard to find though, and quite expensive. But if you have access to one, try it out!

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #965 on: May 02, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
Vanity day at the gym today. High volume speed work with the duffalo bar on bench and upper body accessories. Btw, duffalo bars are awesome. I highly recommend one to improve your bench at the bottom (they are curved so the range of motion is greater). They also feel really good on my elbows and shoulders to me compared to the straight bar. I think something about the way you have to grip it relieves joint stress to some degree. My understanding is that duffalos are somewhat hard to find though, and quite expensive. But if you have access to one, try it out!

I hadn't heard it called that before, they are known as Buffalo bars, it appears the "Duffalo" is coined after Chris Duffin though and is the same thing.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #966 on: May 02, 2016, 07:05:45 PM »
Jordanread...that pic doesn't lie...you have made good progress sir.

IloveBakari

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #967 on: May 02, 2016, 10:14:22 PM »

I'm here, just not checking in as much as I should. You can cross off the 8 pull downs at 80 lbs and 8 clean and presses at 50 lbs. I'm almost there on the bench press.

I've been doing a lot of Insanity videos which I really like. Cross Fit was awesome and helped me make a lot of progress but it was kind of expensive.

jordanread

« Reply #968 on: May 03, 2016, 06:30:23 AM »
Thanks for the good feedback on the pic JS and Bakari. I'm feeling pretty good, but without riding as much, it's totally not as fast as the temporary 2014 weight loss I experienced, although I was a bit blown away by the increased tone, not just the getting skinny part.

I'm here, just not checking in as much as I should. You can cross off the 8 pull downs at 80 lbs and 8 clean and presses at 50 lbs. I'm almost there on the bench press.

I've been doing a lot of Insanity videos which I really like. Cross Fit was awesome and helped me make a lot of progress but it was kind of expensive.

Got those two goals crossed off. Way to go!! I'm glad you are enjoying insanity. Those were some of my absolute favorite video based workouts (I admit, when I first did them, Shaun T's 'nervousness' on the Cardio was a bit infective). Talk to Bakari if you want additional options, as he and I have chatted on that subject a bit.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #969 on: May 03, 2016, 07:44:25 AM »

Interesting- mostly b/c I know a lot of people who do yoga to "DO YOGA"- I personal do yoga (or really the yoga for dummies- and or yoga for people who aint got the time for the real thing)- for the stretch and the moments to find breath. Less about the meditation- but really about self care. 

But - I know people who do power yoga- and the only go is to DO MOAR YOGA- which- I find counter productive to my needs. not that it's wrong- but people have different needs and different goals- I just find with yoga it's interesting to see the huge smattering of differences.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #970 on: May 03, 2016, 07:48:16 AM »
I can't remember if you mentioned this before, and if it's too identifying or whatever, just let us know. That being said, what kind of dance gigs do you do? Is it super fun cardio stuff (like the hustle or club dancing), ballet, exotic (freaking upper body), ballroom? I do ballroom and latin relatively regularly, and my exotic dancing hasn't happened in a long time, and other dancing has decreased since I stopped drinking

man- I seriously hope I get this quote trimmed down properly.

I'm a professional bellydancer. I spend 10-15 hrs a week training and I work several gigs monthly and tour with a professional troupe.
so- yes it CAN be cardio- but I don't really consider it part of my physical fitness workout stuff- if I need cardio- I go do cardio.  The dance stuff must be done on it's own- so in my head I don't put that in the "fitness/training/workout" box.  It goes in the "dance" box. if that makes any sense.   When we do West African- I typically will include that b/c it's above what my normal level is. I wish I had time to do more formal stuff like ballroom- but aint no time. So whatever we do at the studio- which includes modern/contemp stuff- west african- a good smattering of hip hop and ballet basics.

Looking fab by the way- haven't been around long enough to see pre-pictures- but the post pictures look great!!!

jordanread

« Reply #971 on: May 03, 2016, 08:21:13 AM »
Ha, you got it trimmed correctly, JoRocka. I almost kept everything in a single post, and then I realized it was getting a bit long, so I split it up.
Belly dancing is awesome. I've only dabbled, and been more into the sword play with the type I've done, but it is definitely more challenging, just due to the different muscles being used (although latin shares some). I'm not going the route of shock & awe with before and after, as I'm digging the journey. The primary before photo I posted is here. Thanks for the compliment. Actually, your belly dancing comment just made me remember something from a few years back. The SO used some of the rings as part of a ren fair costume (she was a damn sexy gypsy), which then reminded me that I go for functionality, and fun. I remembered it's hot as hell, so I went with as little as possible. I wound up wearing a sash and a kilt (it was scottish weekend or something like that). The insult guy called me brave-chubs, which was awesome (although probably played out that weekend). I can't wait until I go back not being brave chubs. :)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #972 on: May 03, 2016, 08:37:30 AM »

Interesting- mostly b/c I know a lot of people who do yoga to "DO YOGA"- I personal do yoga (or really the yoga for dummies- and or yoga for people who aint got the time for the real thing)- for the stretch and the moments to find breath. Less about the meditation- but really about self care. 

But - I know people who do power yoga- and the only go is to DO MOAR YOGA- which- I find counter productive to my needs. not that it's wrong- but people have different needs and different goals- I just find with yoga it's interesting to see the huge smattering of differences.

I think that is where most people (particularly western culture) start, it's where I started. But, if you are working on breathing then you are quieting the mind, that is the forefront of meditation, connecting to your breath, because it brings you to the present moment. Asanas or poses are only one of the 8 limbs of yoga, pranayama or breathing is a second and both are critical in a yoga class.

I totally agree there are a ton of variations out there, I LOVE power yoga and that is the style I do most regularly. But a good Hatha or Yin class is great too for recovery.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #973 on: May 03, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
Ahhhh I got so close. I did PART of a pullup by myself! And then I kinda did one, but there was some "air biking" that happened with my legs to get past the last sticking point. I'm getting there! I think it's extra hard because we don't have a fixed bar- it rolls (basically a bar threaded through loops). So who knows, maybe next time I'm at the park I'll try on those fixed bars and see! I can hope.

Got close to my DL PR (165lbs) but then failed x2 at my PR (175). We went and bought a stall mat for the sake of our unhappy neighbors ($56), but they're not home right now- for once- so I'm unsure yet if it makes a big difference or not? Either way, will be better for the lifespan of our bumper plates. Although if our grumpy neighbor has her way and we never lift again, then I suppose that extends their lifespan too... mutter mutter.

ETA: Jordan's point about varying definitions made me think I should clarify. I can currently do chin ups, which I equate to overhand grip, narrower drip relatively. I want to be able to do pullups, which I equate to overhand grip, wider spread.

Ah, here we go:
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 03:24:16 PM by Bracken_Joy »

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #974 on: May 03, 2016, 07:07:02 PM »
Apologies for slacking on participation (I have been reading all posts though).  To update I've had 2 setbacks this year which I'm learning from.  1st was a last minute trip to Australia for work which was beautiful, but the travel back to the states was painful--all in all I didn't strength train for ~3 weeks (but I did walk ~6-8 miles a day while there so that was a plus).  I certainly noticed the need to start with lower progressions or less weight depending on the exercise.

"Disc golf stupidity" caused my present setback after straining shoulder I'm holding off on any upper body work for a while.  Disc golf is fun, but I can't throw anywhere near as far as rest of the group which had more experience so I attempted to keep up by just throwing harder...which was a bad idea.  Turns out it's a lot more about technique than actual force.  Anyways if you try it start slow and get technique down without using much (potentially harmful) power.

Last year when I had some cubital tunnel issues in my wrist I used that as an excuse to skip ALL excersizes except walking and it really got me down.  This time I'm keeping up same 3x a week strength training going by doing various BW squats, back bridges, some non-shoulder harming yoga etc. 

As for goals I'd say:
3x/week strength training when not travelling ---on track (cutting some slack for travel sickness)
5-8 miles/day hiked when travelling---------------check so far
3x/week Cycle/walk/yoga/Qigong------------------~2x a week so need to pick up here
<=15% Body Fat------------------------------------may remove this goal, really just starting and with some injuries etc maybe hard to meet.  I'm thinking may just focus on strength training for 2-3 years and then worry about attempting this.
Bike to work >= 2x/week---------------------------I suck at this.  Easy in the morning, but after 8-9 hours of work still find it hard to bike home (and then strength train).  I'm either going to push this one off too OR more appealing creatively use PTO 2x a week during the summer (I get 64 hours replenished in June so 32 6 hour days could make this much easier/be a way to get used to it).
Gain 10lbs of muscle--------------------------------maybe too specific?  I'm mainly focused on improving/don't really care about Xlbs a year as long as keep improving.
Complete 5K-----------------------------------------Forgot I put this one down.  I do want to do it sometime in 2-3 years, but haven't been focused on it this year.

As for the Chin-up vs. Pull-up discussion, I've made Chin-ups one of my primary upper body movements and had worked way up to 5 sets of 5 chin-ups (planned to go to 5 x 8 then add weight).  Pull-ups though I still haven't done 1 without assistance...maybe I could do 1, but 1 isn't much of a workout. 

Thanks everyone for the updates and motivation--it's helped me to keep on going even when I stupidly injure myself (which I plan to avoid like the plague and if/when trying anything new starting out ridiculously slowly to not get hurt).

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #975 on: May 04, 2016, 08:25:56 AM »
My goal is 1200 Lb Club. 500 Deadlift, 405 Squat, 315 Bench press. I'd also like to get 200 lb Overhead press. Current maxes, 415 deadlift, 350 squat, 275 bench press, 185 overhead press.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #976 on: May 04, 2016, 08:26:15 AM »
Jon Snow, you make me want to go kayaking.  Seems like an all in one fun exercise and you are soaking up some rays while you are at it.

Alleykat, it really is a wonderful sport/hobby/exercise. Not sure if you have checked it out before, but my Journal is a somewhat thinly-disguised love-letter to sea kayaking.

I talked about the fitness aspect of yesterday's paddle here...and when I get time I'm going to post some other details in my Journal...with some pictures perhaps. The really great thing about kayaking where I am located is that there is so much eyeball-melting beauty around you that you can forget sometimes what a tremendous workout you are getting.

Hi Jon,  wow, your area sounds beautiful.  I haven't checked out your journal, but I will. Thanks for sharing.

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #977 on: May 04, 2016, 11:49:29 AM »
A small victory today - my goal for the year was to lose 16lbs of fat.
As of this morning I am down 12 pounds exactly from where I started.
The last 4 will be much more difficult - but I'm on track.

Truth is I think I've lost more fat than that - but unfortunately I haven't been taking body fat measurements so I can't be certain the amount.  But, I have definitely increased my strength quite a bit, so I'm sure I've put on some muscle since the start of the year.  Regardless - the numbers aren't my focus as much as the overall feeling of well being.

Its amazing how much health is similar to our savings strategies here.
A little bit every day... little changes... small additions...but consistent.
After a few weeks, a few months, it starts to snowball.  It gets easier.

Believe it or not, it actually gets fun.

Keep it up everybody.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #978 on: May 04, 2016, 12:23:23 PM »

I hadn't heard it called that before, they are known as Buffalo bars, it appears the "Duffalo" is coined after Chris Duffin though and is the same thing.

Interesting. That's what everyone calls it at my gym so I hadn't put much thought into it. Definitely a cool bar, though, and fun to use.

Gotta admit I don't much pay attention to that community. I just like picking up heavy things :)

jordanread

« Reply #979 on: May 04, 2016, 12:28:05 PM »
My goal is 1200 Lb Club. 500 Deadlift, 405 Squat, 315 Bench press. I'd also like to get 200 lb Overhead press. Current maxes, 415 deadlift, 350 squat, 275 bench press, 185 overhead press.

I've got you added to the tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet!!

2300, sorry that happened to you. It's interesting that something so seemingly low impact can cause some injuries if one doesn't treat it with respect. Glad you are on the mend.

Awesome progress MrDelane! Yes, there are a lot of similarities between fitness and savings. It's all about building the foundation that results in, respectively, a stache and a functional body. They move so closely together, creating not just the ability to retire, but the ability to enjoy retirement.

jordanread

« Reply #980 on: May 04, 2016, 01:05:34 PM »
While I'm still not going to add goals regarding acroyoga, I did want to share a bit about my journey so far. So even though we've been at it for only a couple of days, we have made some fun progress. In part it's probably due to my ridiculously strong lower body (no idea why...biking maybe?), but the basics of the poses are totally possible. So while we don't look as good as the pictures, we've been able to successfully hold all of the following poses (source 1, source 2):

Fun process. We started doing the following for warmups:

1 set/9 Sun Salutations - slowing down every 3
1 set/3 Miscellaneous yoga pose - holds (00:30, 00:45, 001:00) - We did dolphin plank, and then a regular plank. She comes up with the ideas, so no clue what's next.

It's a good warmup, and quite fun. I've also been recording all of our sessions on the GoPro, so we can examine our form. I hope she gets comfortable enough with our skills that I can create a compilation video to share. She's less willing than I am to just put it all out there. We're thinking about going through a bunch of poses, and then work on transitions, and then create a routine. When we have our routine ironed out, I hope to convince her to do it at the park, and at least get that posted. To those of you who have a partner, I highly suggest trying it. It's more fun than a movie night, and it's good for you. Jon & Lady Snow, Bracken Joy and DH, and EngineerYogi and DH are a few people who come to mind. It really is fun!!

Oh, and I know this is kind of a funny thing to ask after saying that my GF won't let me post a video, but I really want to get a collection of video clips of progress to combine into something fun at the end of the year. Before/after photos will also be added (with permission), and I think it would be cool. I do know how to block out faces and download videos off of YouTube, and I'll ensure your anonymity if you so desire. Feel free to PM me if you want to contribute. Thanks!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #981 on: May 05, 2016, 10:04:04 AM »
Regarding the Cirque de Soleil maneuvers above...Lady Snow would be game for this...I would need some convincing. Not trusting my lower body strength to keep her safely aloft...I'm the opposite of you JR...upper body strength and development far outstrips my lower half.

Ever since I walked into the gym the very day after I FIRE'd..this has been very noticeable. I think there is a genetic component - scrawny legs seem to run in the family. And of course, 30 years of kayaking has made the upper/lower body discrepancy even more pronounced.

I've been working my tail off in terms of weight training for over a year now...and progress of the lower half still lags behind considerably.

One thing that was also evident early on in my weight training regime was the fact that, unsurprisingly, the PULLING muscle groups were much stronger than the PUSHING ones. The kayaking hobby, even when I was horrendously overweight, fostered strong forearms, biceps, lats, upper and lower back, and abs (even though you couldn't SEE them until around 6 months ago). Once I dealt with the excess body fat issue...I think it is fair to say that what was revealed was very much "a body that kayaking built".

In the gym I would go from feeling like a superstar on the various row, pull-up and curl type exercises to absolutely feeling feeble on "press" type movements. This is much improved now, though I suspect that as long as I'm paddling increasingly epic distances, the PULLING muscles will always remain ahead. The great thing about this is the nice V-shape that over-developed lats provide - Lady Snow appreciates it at any rate. ;)

« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 04:49:07 PM by Jon_Snow »

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #982 on: May 05, 2016, 11:01:36 AM »
Regarding the Cirque de Soleil maneuvers above...Lady Snow would be game for this...I would need some convincing. Not trusting my lower body strength to keep her safely aloft...I'm the opposite of you JR...upper body strength and development far outstrips my lower half.

You'd be surprised, in general those poses are all about form and less about strength. If you are stacked mechanically correctly you don't need to be very strong. I participated in a partner yoga training course and at one point stacked in plank with two people on top of me, but it was all about stacking the joints so the skeleton is holding you up and not the muscles.

Also, nice progress!! My husband has the same upper body lower body imbalance and it's definitely a bit genetic. In bodybuilding people often structure their programs so they target weaker areas more often, in some cases they may even stop training an "over developed" muscle entirely to try and catch the under developed ones up. Is that something you've consider? (or you may not really care that much ;) just curious)

jordanread

« Reply #983 on: May 05, 2016, 11:10:50 AM »

Ever since I walked into the gym the very day after I FIRE'd..this has been very noticeable. I think there is a genetic component - scrawny legs seem to run in the family. And of course, 30 years of kayaking has made the upper/lower body discrepancy even more pronounced.

I've been working my tail off in terms of weight training for over a year now...and progress of the lower half still lags behind considerably.

Dude, you've got to try it. The source 1 link I posted above has a couple of starting moves that are quite interesting. The Plank Press was actually harder on the lower body than any of the other poses I linked above. The rest of the poses capitalize on the fact that legs hold you up every time you stand. The muscles in your legs are primarily used to move your flyer to figure out a solid center of gravity, it feels almost naturally easy. Make sure you talk though, it's important! And yes, genetics are probably a big part of it.

One thing that was also evident early on in my weight training regime was the fact that, unsurprisingly, the PULLING muscle groups were much stronger than the PUSHING ones. The kayaking hobby, even when I was horrendously overweight, fostered strong forearms, biceps, lats, upper and lower back, and abs (even though you couldn't SEE them until around 6 months ago). Once I dealt with the excess body fat issue...I think it is fair to say that what was revealed was very much "a body that kayaking built".

In the gym I would go from feeling like a superstar on the various row, pull-up and curl type exercises to absolutely feeling feeble on "press" type movements. This is much improved now, though I suspect that as long as I'm paddling increasingly epic distances, the PULLING muscles will always remain ahead. The great thing about this is the nice V-shape that over-developed lats provide - Lady Snow appreciates it at any rate. ;)

And since I feel JR shouldn't be the only one showing his current progress in terms of sharing visual evidence...here is a month-old pic of me post Baja-beach run. Feel especially good about the arms and shoulders...chest is coming along...and I have firmed up the mid-section a fair bit since this photo was taken. Overall, happy with the progress...if you exclude the legs. There is a reason they are not featured in the photo. I'll keep plugging away at them. ;)

This thread needs more pics or videos...such as the one JoRocka provided earlier (the squats)...that was AWESOME.

Yes, considering that a year and half ago I was definitely skirting the edges of obsesity (as recently referenced in my Journal...and I simply cannot bring myself to post pictures of that ME, though it would be helpful in showing how far I have come)...I AM HAPPY WITH THIS...though I still consider the entire thing to be "work in progress". I am not sure if there is an "end goal" here. And I'm fine with that. :) (and I reserve the right to delete this pic at some point, so I'd appreciate it if this wasn't copied and pasted elsewhere...thank you.:))

Thank you for not letting me post solo. I want more updated pictures from other participants too. I will have some videos by the end of the year, although I'm not sure how it's going to go yet. I'm not one to feel all self conscious, but I have to admit that there is a certain level of comfort posting photos that definitively show progress. And the supportive feedback is just added goodness. I never thought I'd have a little grin from one calling me a convict that appears to be conditioning. I like it.

You'd be surprised, in general those poses are all about form and less about strength. If you are stacked mechanically correctly you don't need to be very strong. I participated in a partner yoga training course and at one point stacked in plank with two people on top of me, but it was all about stacking the joints so the skeleton is holding you up and not the muscles.

Also, nice progress!! My husband has the same upper body lower body imbalance and it's definitely a bit genetic. In bodybuilding people often structure their programs so they target weaker areas more often, in some cases they may even stop training an "over developed" muscle entirely to try and catch the under developed ones up. Is that something you've consider? (or you may not really care that much ;) just curious)

EY, have you done the partner/acro yoga with your DH? Any advice/comments/concerns (I initially thought about wearing a cup, but it turns out I can protect/redirect her if it gets that unstable)? Last night we did the Chair Pose on shins. That was definitely more difficult, but still doable for a bit.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #984 on: May 05, 2016, 11:16:54 AM »
In the spirit of posting photos, I'm going to put a spin on mine:

June 1st, 2015 to October 31st, 2015, I was 182.5lbs in the photo on the left on the right I was 151.8lbs. That was a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time and proved to be unsustainable for me. I started suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. My body was stressed out and had no other way to express it. I tried very hard to "reverse diet" slowly and add calories back in slowly but my body fought back hard. I finally scrubbed my attempts completely in March because it was all proving to be too mentally draining and soul sucking. I am currently 175lbs and I feel healthy, I can think straight, I'm not starving, I'm not suffering from super low energy. I'm happy! I can socialize with friends, go to bbqs and dinners out, and have a beer without having to worry that I might "affect my progress."

This article explains a lot about how this is pretty common and makes me feel better and more human about my journey: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0

My body doesn't like to be that lean, maybe I'll be able to achieve it again one day, but at a slower pace of losses and gradual periods of maintenance. Going at it hard crushed my metabolism and crushed me psychologically.

Tl;dr Losing weight too aggressively too quickly can really take a toll on a person, slow and steady wins the race.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 11:53:43 AM by EngineerYogi »

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #985 on: May 05, 2016, 11:21:42 AM »

EY, have you done the partner/acro yoga with your DH? Any advice/comments/concerns (I initially thought about wearing a cup, but it turns out I can protect/redirect her if it gets that unstable)? Last night we did the Chair Pose on shins. That was definitely more difficult, but still doable for a bit.

DH is a little less enthused by yoga than me. He'll go if I drag him. :/ This is the only other thing I think about when I consider doing acro yoga with my husband: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-LW7hRVTXU

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #986 on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:48 AM »

June 1 to October 31st, I was 182.5lbs in the photo on the left on the right I am 151.8lbs. That was a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time and proved to be unsustainable for me. I started suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. My body was stressed out and had no other way to express it. I tried very hard to "reverse diet" slowly and add calories back in slowly but my body fought back hard. I finally scrubbed my attempts completely in March because it was all proving to be too mentally draining and soul sucking. I am currently 175lbs and I feel healthy, I can think straight, I'm not starving, I'm not suffering from super low energy. I'm happy! I can socialize with friends, go to bbqs and dinners out, and have a beer without having to worry that I might "affect my progress."

This article explains a lot about how this is pretty common and makes me feel better and more human about my journey: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html?_r=0

My body doesn't like to be that lean, maybe I'll be able to achieve it again one day, but at a slower pace of losses and gradual periods of maintenance. Going at it hard crushed my metabolism and crushed me psychologically.

Tl;dr Losing weight too aggressively too quickly can really take a toll on a person, slow and steady wins the race.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm currently on a pretty intensive calorie deficit right now (well, it is 1000 a day, but I'm still eating about 1800-2200 a day) and it is amazing when you hit that wall and NEED to go and get a snack that will throw you off your plan. Yesterday around 10AM at work I couldn't concentrate and wasn't feeling good. I cracked and got a doughnut, and decided that yesterday was gone--so I went crazy. It was wonderful. I'm planning on another like this on Sunday, and then again a couple weeks from now.

I've been combating it by having a set plan for my caloric intake regardless of how I'm doing on my weight goals--I'm on the intense deficit until about 3 days before I leave for Canada for a week canoeing. While in Canada, I'm going to do whatever I want eating wise. When I get back, I'll cut the deficit back to 500 a day for another month with weights. After a month of that, I want to ramp up the weight training--when that happens, I might go the opposite route with calories.

jordanread

« Reply #987 on: May 05, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »

DH is a little less enthused by yoga than me. He'll go if I drag him. :/ This is the only other thing I think about when I consider doing acro yoga with my husband: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-LW7hRVTXU

That was a fun video, and that's almost exactly what I thought was going to happen overall (except I imagined dropping her onto the cedar chest instead of falling on her), but while there was a fair amount of laughing, it was not nearly as bad as that video. I suppose the challenge aspect is a bit of a different dynamic than just doing it for fun, too. And I am able to keep things light instead of getting mad, which creates a more fun environment. In this case, I've found that the Journey goal of practicing daily instead of focusing on specific poses makes for a pressure free situation. It's just a fun thing we do when she gets home from work, and before dinner.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #988 on: May 05, 2016, 12:04:42 PM »

June 1 to October 31st, I was 182.5lbs in the photo on the left on the right I am 151.8lbs. That was a lot of weight to lose in a short period of time and proved to be unsustainable for me. I started suffering from extreme anxiety and panic attacks. My body was stressed out and had no other way to express it. I tried very hard to "reverse diet" slowly and add calories back in slowly but my body fought back hard. I finally scrubbed my attempts completely in March because it was all proving to be too mentally draining and soul sucking. I am currently 175lbs and I feel healthy, I can think straight, I'm not starving, I'm not suffering from super low energy. I'm happy! I can socialize with friends, go to bbqs and dinners out, and have a beer without having to worry that I might "affect my progress."

Thanks for the reminder. I'm currently on a pretty intensive calorie deficit right now (well, it is 1000 a day, but I'm still eating about 1800-2200 a day) and it is amazing when you hit that wall and NEED to go and get a snack that will throw you off your plan. Yesterday around 10AM at work I couldn't concentrate and wasn't feeling good. I cracked and got a doughnut, and decided that yesterday was gone--so I went crazy. It was wonderful. I'm planning on another like this on Sunday, and then again a couple weeks from now.

I've been combating it by having a set plan for my caloric intake regardless of how I'm doing on my weight goals--I'm on the intense deficit until about 3 days before I leave for Canada for a week canoeing. While in Canada, I'm going to do whatever I want eating wise. When I get back, I'll cut the deficit back to 500 a day for another month with weights. After a month of that, I want to ramp up the weight training--when that happens, I might go the opposite route with calories.

I know you mentioned working with a doctor, but I definitely urge you to consider a smaller calorie deficit and just take more time. If you do choose to stay aggressive I wouldn't cut for longer than an 8 week period before reversing back to a maintenance period. You don't want to end up with a metabolism that burns 500 calories/day less than it should, that easily could lead to a pound of weight gain a week for months on end after dieting or spending the rest of your life hungry trying to fight to stay lean. :( That's what happened to most of the Biggest Loser contestants if you read the article.

If you are feeling the need to binge, it's a good sign your deficit is too large and your body is suffering. In many cases, just eating what you want will destroy the efforts you made on your caloric deficit in the first place. You'd be amazed how fast a person can tear through 3000-4000 calories. You might be better served to stick to a modest deficit consistently which will still equate to some weight loss.

But of course, YMMV and I'm just speaking from my own experiences. I know what it's like to set a goal and decide I must achieve it all costs.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2016, 12:07:39 PM by EngineerYogi »

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #989 on: May 05, 2016, 01:18:10 PM »

I know you mentioned working with a doctor, but I definitely urge you to consider a smaller calorie deficit and just take more time. If you do choose to stay aggressive I wouldn't cut for longer than an 8 week period before reversing back to a maintenance period. You don't want to end up with a metabolism that burns 500 calories/day less than it should, that easily could lead to a pound of weight gain a week for months on end after dieting or spending the rest of your life hungry trying to fight to stay lean. :( That's what happened to most of the Biggest Loser contestants if you read the article.

If you are feeling the need to binge, it's a good sign your deficit is too large and your body is suffering. In many cases, just eating what you want will destroy the efforts you made on your caloric deficit in the first place. You'd be amazed how fast a person can tear through 3000-4000 calories. You might be better served to stick to a modest deficit consistently which will still equate to some weight loss.

But of course, YMMV and I'm just speaking from my own experiences. I know what it's like to set a goal and decide I must achieve it all costs.

Thanks--not working with a doctor, but a Registered Dietitian (my wife) and am consulting a nurse (my mother).

My "extreme" deficit has been going on for 2 weeks now and will continue until June 1, when I go off a "diet" altogether for a week. And I'm working out now, something that I haven't done in a long time--right now it is just running with a HR monitor, pushups, and walking with a weighted backpack. I'm hoping to continue this type of workout regimen for a long, long time--well after I stop with my deficit.

BTW--want to know the best way to lose weight? Go caddy carrying 2 golf bags. When I did that in the summers in high school and college, I always lost a ton of weight. I personally think that walking with weight is one of the best exercises out there. Other than hockey of course.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #990 on: May 06, 2016, 10:13:39 AM »
I'll be doing update pictures from my bulk through to essentially 3/4 of the way through my cut either this weekend or next- so I can share in the posting of progress.

I do regularly post on my IG my lift videos which I'm happy to share as long as people don't think it's vain bravado LOL. I do a lot of form checking on my squat do to said SI/hip issue- so lots of videos regularly for me. Helps keep me on track for the "be more awesome goal"

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #991 on: May 06, 2016, 02:32:00 PM »
Hope it's not too late to join in on this thread!

Last year (2015), I posted on the thread with two goals: run a half marathon in <2 hrs, and do a full body pullup.  I didn't make either of those goals, thanks to a minor leg injury and then getting pregnant.  And I'm getting a late start on them this year due to the whole baby-ejection process.  But, I started running again last month, and we now have a pullup bar in our apartment, so...time to get going!

I don't think it's feasible to train for a HM this year, and certainly not to trim 10+ minutes off my previous time, given that I didn't run at all from Nov 2015 to March 2016.  So on that front, my goals are:

1) Complete a 12-week  5k training program using Run Less, Run Faster (RLRF) guide, with a target of running 5K in <28min. 
2) Assuming successful completion of 5K training, complete 12-week 10k training program, with the goal of completing a 10k in <56 min.  There is a local 10k in November that I would like to aim for.  If all those go well, I'll figure out a plan for tackling the HM in 2017 :)

For the pullup goal, I'm not 100% certain of how fast I can progress and the internet doesn't seem to yield any specific programs like "how to do a pullup in 12 weeks or less".  Drat.  So my plan is to set myself some kind of pullup oriented workout schedule each month, and at the end of the month reassess and figure out the next step in the progression to aim for.  So for May, it's going to be:

1) 5 negative chinups each day
2) Complete the "beginner" exercises in this guide 3x/week.

jordanread

« Reply #992 on: May 06, 2016, 03:17:27 PM »
Hope it's not too late to join in on this thread!

Not too late at all!! Glad to have you. I have your goals added to the tracking post and the greatist progressions and the RLRF program to the goal description post. Congrats on successfully ejecting a baby, and getting back into it all.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #993 on: May 07, 2016, 12:06:55 PM »
Jordan asked for progress pics, so I guess I can join in. Here's from today, sports bra because it's dang hot right now (Okay, like mid 70s, but it *feels* really hot). In the photo I'm doing a front squat with my current max, 115lbs. DH was impressed with the muscle definition I'm getting in my back, so he snapped a photo.

Good workout today, and I'm liking the mat. I had to bail under a 135lb front squat (I started to tilt, haha), and it wasn't too terribly noisy. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #994 on: May 07, 2016, 01:51:36 PM »
Thanks for posting that Bracken_Joy. Makes it feel a bit "less weird" posting pics of myself if others are doing it.

And your hubby is right to compliment your back development. Looks strong. Keep it up!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #995 on: May 09, 2016, 06:19:49 PM »
Jordan asked for progress pics, so I guess I can join in. Here's from today, sports bra because it's dang hot right now (Okay, like mid 70s, but it *feels* really hot). In the photo I'm doing a front squat with my current max, 115lbs. DH was impressed with the muscle definition I'm getting in my back, so he snapped a photo.

Good workout today, and I'm liking the mat. I had to bail under a 135lb front squat (I started to tilt, haha), and it wasn't too terribly noisy. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Very impressed! That looks awesome.

I was planning on doing a progress photo too...will have to show off how fucking inflexible I still am.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #996 on: May 10, 2016, 08:56:26 AM »
3 yoga classes done, 17 to go to hit my goal. DH offered to go to class with me tonight. :)

2/3 bike rides done last week, thunderstorms precluded my third ride. 1/3 done for this week, maybe I'll get in a fourth to make up for last week.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #997 on: May 10, 2016, 09:58:00 AM »
Everyone is doing great and staying so focused!

I've been on kind of a hiatus for about three weeks now.  I'd planned to take a week completely off, and two weeks off from running after my 4/16 half marathon, but aside from two very short kettle bell workouts while I was out of town the last week in April, I've done nothing more strenuous than working in the garden and playing with my horses.  Adding in my pre-race taper, and I'm at almost a month of pretty insignificant exercise, and I'm feeling kind of flabby.

In a hotel again this week, but it has a pretty good gym, and I just finished my first real workout.  Just a 20 minute run and some Bosu work and planks. I was pleased to find that I could run at 7 mph for 20 minutes without getting winded, so I haven't lost too much to my break in terms of aerobic capacity.   Tomorrow night I'll do a good strength workout, and then focus on getting myself back into a program when I get home on Friday.  The Bosu work is getting pretty fun, I can do crane pose and other 1-legged feats of balance now.  Will post a pic if I can get DH down to the basement to snap one.

Keep it up everyone! 

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #998 on: May 10, 2016, 10:26:08 AM »
Running, and thus the weight loss, is down due to weather, but I've still mostly been making my caloric intake/output goals, and mostly am getting 10k steps. Mothers day and Derby day in the same weekend were hard on the calories, and liver--I didn't even count calories. There are only two more cheat days left until my canoe trip though, and one of those days I'm playing hockey the morning before the party.

Been slacking with the situps too. Not sure why--probably because my wife hasn't been available to stand on my feet while I do them. Luckily I have been keeping up with my pushup goals, and while I might not get to my goal of 100 pushups in one rep by July 4, I'll probably be close.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #999 on: May 10, 2016, 12:50:03 PM »
quick question- posting pictures is it a standard bracket IMG bracket set up?