Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 350585 times)

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #900 on: April 22, 2016, 01:51:37 PM »
I have burned over 50,000 calories in my workouts so far this year -- more than half way to my 100k calorie burning goal and less than 1/3 of the way through the year.  The next few weeks when I'm in China are going to be challenging, though....

RamonaQ

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #901 on: April 23, 2016, 06:51:11 AM »
I'm only 4 weeks out from my half ironman and not feeling ready.  Since it's an early season race, most of my biking has been indoors on the bike trainer.  Got outside for the first time last weekend and was sllooooow.  Heading back out tomorrow and hoping that my speed is better.  I was completely exhausted and emotional last week so I'm sure that didn't help my biking any.

jordanread

« Reply #902 on: April 23, 2016, 12:01:20 PM »
I'm only 4 weeks out from my half ironman and not feeling ready.  Since it's an early season race, most of my biking has been indoors on the bike trainer.  Got outside for the first time last weekend and was sllooooow.  Heading back out tomorrow and hoping that my speed is better.  I was completely exhausted and emotional last week so I'm sure that didn't help my biking any.
I am mobile right now, so I don't have quick access to your goals. However, I don't know that one can actually be ready for an Ironman (half or not). Which means that when you complete it in a few weeks, you will have done so in spite of feeling unready, which greatly increases the bad ass quotient.

No progress pics from me yet, buy even with the issues I've had, I'm almost down to 180lb. About 15-20 lbs from when I last weighed myself. Sweet. Still no six pack though.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #903 on: April 23, 2016, 03:47:40 PM »
So I guess all of those TRX single leg squats with a one arm row are paying off. Jumped up to the pull-up bar and pulled myself up (overhand grip and all!). I'm sure there was momentum from the jump, but I'd say I'm getting pretty close to that strict pull-up goal without even realizing it!

jordanread

« Reply #904 on: April 23, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »
So I guess all of those TRX single leg squats with a one arm row are paying off. Jumped up to the pull-up bar and pulled myself up (overhand grip and all!). I'm sure there was momentum from the jump, but I'd say I'm getting pretty close to that strict pull-up goal without even realizing it!
Kick ass!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #905 on: April 25, 2016, 06:50:06 AM »
Check-in... I basically took the week off in hopes of getting my calves back on board. I did nothing Monday-Thursday. Easy swim Friday (no problems) and a three mile run Sunday. The run was... weird. My feet felt like blocks of wood for the the first half mile, legs felt off for the first couple of miles. My calves started to get tight toward the end, hence stopping at mile 3 as my plan was 4 miles. Today I do not have calf pain, but I can feel them if that makes any sense (don't worry, it doesn't to me either). I have no idea what this means moving forward for me. I'm going to take it easy this week again, no runs over 3-4 miles, focus on upper body strength work, and swimming. I'd planned this week to start easing back into cycling to work most days, but I think I'll save the legs for now. If nothing eases up next week, I might call the doctor and see what he says.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #906 on: April 25, 2016, 08:21:46 AM »
Had a pretty successful weekend-
M- Lift
T- Dance
W- Dance + Lift
T- Interval Cardio Class + 15 minutes of jump rope
F- Dance Gig
Sat- 3 hrs of dance + Lift- 10 minutes cardio + dance
Sun- 2 hrs of Dance

I need to do more cardio- but I can't seem to get myself up at a reasonable time- because I cant' get myself to BED at a reasonable time- so sigh. Still fighting that good fight.  Plan this week is
M- Lift
T- Dance
W- cardio
T- lift
Sun- lift

I have a gig Friday and Saturday night- so hopefully I can still squeeze some cardio in there.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #907 on: April 25, 2016, 11:31:54 AM »
Had a pretty good run yesterday. If I could maintain that pace for my upcoming half marathon that would be a very respectable time.

I did, however, manage to tweak my Achilles' tendon. :(

Now I'm off to the gym to abuse my chest, shoulder, and tricep muscle groups. :)

jordanread

« Reply #908 on: April 25, 2016, 12:21:16 PM »
I don't even have hikes as goals, especially considering that I don't make plans until about 20 minutes before I implement them. This weekend we hiked around 23 miles (16 miles on Sunday, around 7 on Saturday). I got some really cool photos that reinforced the relationship we have with the Sun. It's kind of a scale vertigo when thinking how much goes into that relationship. The tilt of the earth, the location in our orbit around the Sun. Amazingness. I'll write a bit more about that in my Journal and in JS's later.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #909 on: April 25, 2016, 01:03:38 PM »
Last week I had my worst workout week in four months, combo of jetlag/stress/anxiety/schedule.

I still managed to bike 56 miles, run 2 days, and hit Barre and dance class. So you know what, it's not THAT bad. On the scale of "not working out enough", it's like a 6.5 on a 10-point scale.

But this week I have much more ambitious plans to get back up to my working out 6 days a week: 2 days of HIIT, one day of lifting, two days of barre/dance fit, and 2 runs. BACK TO WORKING OUT, everyone!

jordanread

« Reply #910 on: April 25, 2016, 01:22:16 PM »
ASL, here is the main picture that caused that train of thought. North facing vs. South Facing slopes on a hike. Traversing both, especially in 70F weather. Hot and dry sometimes, feet going numb and going through up to 18" of snow, all within minutes of each other, and a couple of minutes outside of the City.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #911 on: April 26, 2016, 02:05:26 PM »
Today I took a walk outside during a break to blow off steam, because I have been having a bit of a day. A co-worker came with me. She finally asked me what was up, because I have been a very short tempered, out of sorts version of myself for the last week or two. At first I brushed it off to being April (it's always a busy, stressful month) to which she replied, "No, this is not you normally during our busy, stressful times." So I thought about it. And then I realized, I haven't run or barely worked out in a week and a half. It also occurred to me that I have been a much happier person in general the last year since I renewed my focus on health and fitness. Here's hoping for my sake (and apparently my co-workers) that I can get back to it soon!

I'm also a little jealous of all you who get to hike regularly. Keep posting pictures and letting this flat lander live vicariously through them! Hiking around cornfields just isn't the same. :)

jordanread

« Reply #912 on: April 27, 2016, 10:15:52 AM »
For those of you who want a lot of pictures about the places we live, the adventures we go on, and the beauty we see, I highly suggest jumping over to the Show me your beautiful places thread. It's pretty much a picture thread, and has some amazing shots in it. For this thread, feel free to post the adventures we undertake on our Strength and Fitness journey here. After all, we all do this for a reason, and keeping that in mind can't hurt our journey.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #913 on: April 27, 2016, 12:22:35 PM »

I used to live in a much (much!!) flatter region than I do now, so I can sympathize. That being said, I bet there are some really beautiful walks in your region somewhere - I think everywhere has some sort of intrinsic beauty, although you may have to look harder sometimes. In the flatter region where I used to live, I used to regularly go for photo walks to try to find the hidden gems - worked really well for me, YMMV.  :)

I actually totally agree! I should also admit, even though I made fun of them in my earlier post, I weirdly find beauty in corn fields, I just like the orderly rows, the bright green leaves... and we do have some lovely places around here to exercise for sure. We have some great paved paths that go for miles through old railroad right of ways and are awesome! Alternate between trees,  farm fields, and small town scenery. We cycle and run them regularly, but I do sometimes wish my outdoor adventures could include more actual trail running!

I ran three miles last night... my calves did not hurt. I thought about running more, then I told myself to not be an idiot and cause a set back. Fingers crossed this improvement continues.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #914 on: April 27, 2016, 01:48:45 PM »
Ugh, tweaked my back on a heavy deficit deadlift today. Dropped the bar as soon as I felt a twinge but it's pretty stiff and sore now. Hopefully just a muscle strain. I was feeling really good before that and I'm afraid I let my technique get sloppy. Not the wisest approach when pulling 495lbs! :(

jordanread

« Reply #915 on: April 27, 2016, 01:50:54 PM »
Ugh, tweaked my back on a heavy deficit deadlift today. Dropped the bar as soon as I felt a twinge but it's pretty stiff and sore now. Hopefully just a muscle strain. I was feeling really good before that and I'm afraid I let my technique get sloppy. Not the wisest approach when pulling 495lbs! :(

Yeah, 495lbs is no joke. I have no advice for this particular injury, since I don't lift anything besides my tubby ass, but what have you done so far? Does ice/heat help stuff like that?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #916 on: April 27, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »

Yeah, 495lbs is no joke. I have no advice for this particular injury, since I don't lift anything besides my tubby ass, but what have you done so far? Does ice/heat help stuff like that?

Yeah, iced it quite a bit, a long hot shower (wish I had easy access to a hot tub!), more ice, and vitamin-I (ibuprofen). Been using my portable standing desk for work as well (luckily, I work from home) as sitting is not too comfortable. While painful, it feels like it's only a muscle injury, so hopefully I'll recovery quickly.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #917 on: April 27, 2016, 03:47:08 PM »
I'm here to report that I completed Day 10 / 30 of the 30 days to splits challenge. So far..... I'm not seeing a difference. But then again, I always knew that my tendons (is that what we are stretching?) are extra stiff. Still going to get through 30 days though, even if I skip a day here or there! (I've skipped 1 day due to food poisoning).

Here to report that I finally picked up Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym book from the library per recommendation from this thread's list of references. I'm in love with the concept! Can anyone offer experience / success stories from following the 10-week program in YAYOG? I'm a horribly impulsive person, so I actually got the App that goes with this book since I've had about $10 sitting around in my iTunes account for... no lie... 5+ years. Yup. Hopefully this is a good use! Before finding this book, I was contemplating joining up at the local gym for group classes, which would've been roughly $80/mo, so a $5's worth of credits that probably wouldn't have gotten used up else where is definitely worth a try!

jordanread

« Reply #918 on: April 27, 2016, 06:36:36 PM »
I'm here to report that I completed Day 10 / 30 of the 30 days to splits challenge. So far..... I'm not seeing a difference. But then again, I always knew that my tendons (is that what we are stretching?) are extra stiff. Still going to get through 30 days though, even if I skip a day here or there! (I've skipped 1 day due to food poisoning).

Here to report that I finally picked up Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym book from the library per recommendation from this thread's list of references. I'm in love with the concept! Can anyone offer experience / success stories from following the 10-week program in YAYOG? I'm a horribly impulsive person, so I actually got the App that goes with this book since I've had about $10 sitting around in my iTunes account for... no lie... 5+ years. Yup. Hopefully this is a good use! Before finding this book, I was contemplating joining up at the local gym for group classes, which would've been roughly $80/mo, so a $5's worth of credits that probably wouldn't have gotten used up else where is definitely worth a try!

I have the book, and have read through it, but I haven't done the actual program. However, I did find this thread on the MyFitnessPal forums that may have some of the information you want. Here are a few excerpts:

I'm seven weeks into the second level, and loving it so far. Some days are more challenging then others but have seen a lot of changes to by body. My legs have become leaner but strong (I love strong legs!), I have a lot more definition in my arms/upper body and my bum has became a lot more pert/firmer ;) I've had a lot of compliments on it in recent months and the guy I'm involved with loves my bum haha.

I've been doing the app. I'm in week 8 of my second run through the basic level. Scrolling back through MFP, I started sept. 30, but I was very sporadic about it at first. It looks like I didn't get regular about it till novemberish. Anyway, per my log, I weighed 168.5 then. Today I weigh 132. And I have muscles!

my arms and shoulders look better, I actually have muscles there now (never really had that before). My legs look more muscular, too. If you stick to the body weight training stuff from Mark Lauren, you surely see results.

Actually, while finding excerpts, I just realized that it's a very short thread. Hope that helps.

jordanread

« Reply #919 on: April 27, 2016, 06:38:22 PM »
Oh, and this looks like a collection of stories from around the web:

http://bodyweighttrainingarena.com/you-are-your-own-gym-results/

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #920 on: April 28, 2016, 08:53:35 AM »

In my experience, any program that you stay consistent with will yield results. Especially if you are new to training, you will see "gains" from just about anything relatively quickly. How effective a program is really only starts to factor in when you are training at a more advanced level (like struggling to add 5lbs to your already impressive 300lb+ deadlift).

So I'd say jump in and stick with it! I expect you'll be very happy with results. :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #921 on: April 28, 2016, 09:42:04 AM »
I'm just sitting here taking note of the sea conditions...debating whether or not I'm going to do a big paddle today. I think so. 20km or bust. :)

I'll be curious as to how this "feels" considering the strength gains I've made over the winter.

jordanread

« Reply #922 on: April 28, 2016, 09:56:48 AM »
Okay, so while my workouts are going great (that freaking picture actually really helped). However, on walks around my lake and stuff, the SO challenged me to a pull up contest. I'm not at that step in CC yet, and she is pound per pound probably stronger than me overall. She works out every weekday morning, doing a combination of Insanity, Butt Bible, P90X, ChaLean Extreme, etc. But, even with only at the Jackknife pullups, I was able to pump out around 7 slow pull ups. She couldn't do any, so after her workouts on my pullup days, I'm going to start walking her through the progressions. All of that to say that I have been re-reading and researching a lot on pull ups lately. I recently read a few explosive calisthenics books, which is a bit different for me. It's all about training the existing strength to be more on the spot and increases intensity. Since my existing strength is my actual focus now, and not explosive strength, it was an interesting shift in thinking. I'm not changing my workout, as I still need a super solid foundation, but it's definitely something I am going to pursue a bit down the road (maybe as soon as S&F '17). I was just dicking around on the computer this morning, and found a video (below) where there is actually a challenge based on bars and explosive strength. This is the main event, so these guys are obviously at the top of their game, but being able to have that kind of body control is definitely something to work towards.

Video (SFW)

I'm just sitting here taking note of the sea conditions...debating whether or not I'm going to do a big paddle today. I think so. 20km or bust. :)

I'll be curious as to how this "feels" considering the strength gains I've made over the winter.

How many total kilometers have you paddled already?

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #923 on: April 28, 2016, 10:01:43 AM »

Hah, a few weeks ago, literally the day after I was posting to JoRocka about SI joint issues....I was doing straight-legged deadlifts in the gym, like I've been doing for 15 years.  Only 315lbs which is a pretty normal after-warmup-set weight and  OH SHIT I felt like I was in the process of tearing every single lower back muscle in my body.  Immediately dropped weight but it was too late - sat down on the bench, got pale and my wife came back from the drinking fountain and was like what happened?  Told her my workout was done and it was time to leave.

Two days later I couldn't walk, stand, get out of bed...anything.  Went to ER but no disk issues which was what I was worried about.  Turns out it was SI strain and I had to use a cane to get around for a week.  Getting better now but still not doing any leg workouts. 

Anyway, kinda funny it had to happen then, I've never had a LB injury.  Def by far the worst bodybuilding injury of any kind I've experienced to date.  Will be nerve-wracking doing squats and DLs again just waiting for something like that to recur.

jordanread

« Reply #924 on: April 28, 2016, 10:09:27 AM »

Hah, a few weeks ago, literally the day after I was posting to JoRocka about SI joint issues....I was doing straight-legged deadlifts in the gym, like I've been doing for 15 years.  Only 315lbs which is a pretty normal after-warmup-set weight and  OH SHIT I felt like I was in the process of tearing every single lower back muscle in my body.  Immediately dropped weight but it was too late - sat down on the bench, got pale and my wife came back from the drinking fountain and was like what happened?  Told her my workout was done and it was time to leave.

Two days later I couldn't walk, stand, get out of bed...anything.  Went to ER but no disk issues which was what I was worried about.  Turns out it was SI strain and I had to use a cane to get around for a week.  Getting better now but still not doing any leg workouts. 

Anyway, kinda funny it had to happen then, I've never had a LB injury.  Def by far the worst bodybuilding injury of any kind I've experienced to date.  Will be nerve-wracking doing squats and DLs again just waiting for something like that to recur.

Damn. Glad you are on the mend.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #925 on: April 28, 2016, 10:13:40 AM »
Alright, well, I am happy to say that hot yoga is complete.  Didn't go as many times as I would have liked, but one goal is at least complete.

jordanread

« Reply #926 on: April 28, 2016, 10:22:14 AM »
Alright, well, I am happy to say that hot yoga is complete.  Didn't go as many times as I would have liked, but one goal is at least complete.

Got it marked as complete!! How are you doing on the rebounder?

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #927 on: April 28, 2016, 10:42:37 AM »

Scary! Glad you're OK.

I hear ya about the nerves. It may take some time before I can psyche myself up to attack the lift like I usually do. I am still confident that DL is a completely safe (and super awesome) lift, but this was a good reminder that technique is even more important as you go heavier. The good news is that my back is still stiff but definitely feeling better already, so I think I dodged any serious bullets this time.

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #928 on: April 28, 2016, 11:45:16 AM »

Scary! Glad you're OK.

I hear ya about the nerves. It may take some time before I can psyche myself up to attack the lift like I usually do. I am still confident that DL is a completely safe (and super awesome) lift, but this was a good reminder that technique is even more important as you go heavier. The good news is that my back is still stiff but definitely feeling better already, so I think I dodged any serious bullets this time.

Good news that yours is only a some stiffness.  It seems like LB injuries heal a lot faster if you keep active and do a lot of flexibility type exercises.  It also seems like injuries are sometimes a good opportunity to regroup, lighten the weight a bit, and recalibrate form to work out any residual sloppiness. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #929 on: April 28, 2016, 07:21:15 PM »
23.3km paddled today...I screwed up by not selecting "kayaking" as an exercise option on my Fitbit...instead it registered me as having "walked on water" around my island...and gave me credit for 29,000 steps....currently at 32,000 steps today...a record for me...though one not honestly acheived.

Felt pretty great...and now having a fair amount of strength training knowledge behind me, and a good idea what the major muscle groups are doing during a particular exercise...I was struck at what a great upper body workout kayaking is. Subtle changes in my paddle stroke could target different areas....an upright paddle stroke really activates the lower back and lats...flatten the stroke out a bit shifts the focus more to the upper back. Shoulders, arms....and treating each pull of the paddle through the water as an ab crunch is AWESOME.

2016 paddle challenge: 43.3/500km

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #930 on: April 29, 2016, 10:07:16 AM »

Got it marked as complete!! How are you doing on the rebounder?

Thank you.  Not so good on the rebounder or the other goals, got sidetracked with back problems, but am back onboard and hopefully have some updates soon. Starting May 1st, I am going to focus on the rebounder.  I also have about 16lbs to lose so this will be a good way to do it. 

Just want to say, I am so thankful for this thread.  Even though I am just trying to get myself moving, the levels that some of you have achieved is inspiring and motivating.

Jon Snow, you make me want to go kayaking.  Seems like an all in one fun exercise and you are soaking up some rays while you are at it.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:10:57 AM by alleykat »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #931 on: April 29, 2016, 10:34:23 AM »
Jon Snow, you make me want to go kayaking.  Seems like an all in one fun exercise and you are soaking up some rays while you are at it.

Alleykat, it really is a wonderful sport/hobby/exercise. Not sure if you have checked it out before, but my Journal is a somewhat thinly-disguised love-letter to sea kayaking.

I talked about the fitness aspect of yesterday's paddle here...and when I get time I'm going to post some other details in my Journal...with some pictures perhaps. The really great thing about kayaking where I am located is that there is so much eyeball-melting beauty around you that you can forget sometimes what a tremendous workout you are getting.

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #932 on: April 29, 2016, 01:56:50 PM »
Is it too late to join?

My goals for 2016 are:
- Increase overall physical activity
- Walk/be active everyday
- Walk 39 miles in AVON Breast Cancer walk in October
- Gradually stretch and increase flexibility to the level that I know my body can do
- Work my Weight Watchers plan because I know that it works for me
- Get into the other half of my closet that is 2 sizes smaller that what I wear now

jordanread

« Reply #933 on: April 29, 2016, 02:49:22 PM »
Is it too late to join?

My goals for 2016 are:
- Gradually stretch and increase flexibility to the level that I know my body can do
- Get into the other half of my closet that is 2 sizes smaller that what I wear now

You think I would recommend it if it was too late?
Welcome to the Gauntlet, and feel free to capitalize on the plethora of knowledge and experience contained here. I have you added to the tracking post. The weight watchers thing would probably cause some feedback regarding other methods, such as tracking macros and the like. However, based on the tone of the other thread and the way that you worded your goal, my guess is that you understand there may be other options, but right now you are sticking with what works, and aren't looking for advice on that aspect of things. If my assumption is correct, feel free to confirm with a follow up comment, and we'll make sure to respect those wishes (maybe next year ). With what little I know about you, there are a few people that pop in my mind as being super valuable. Jon_Snow just recently got a Fitbit Charge (HR I think) and posts stats and his experiences with them (there was also a review tangent in his journal - similar to your thread), and eat.train.yoga.love might be a good resource to discuss relationships with food, since it seems you are on similar paths (either one of you can correct me if I'm wrong, as that has happened...once). I highly suggest perusing the earlier pages. The first few posts are collections of different things that may be of use, and I constantly add to them. The resource post contains helpful links, books, and apps. The tracking post is a list of everyone's goals, and the goal description post has additional information on the goals. Welcome again, and we're glad to have you!!

FiguringItOut

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #934 on: April 29, 2016, 03:00:28 PM »
Is it too late to join?

My goals for 2016 are:

Welcome to the Gauntlet, and feel free to capitalize on the plethora of knowledge and experience contained here. I have you added to the tracking post.

Thank you!

The weight watchers thing would probably cause some feedback regarding other methods, such as tracking macros and the like.

Yes, WW is not up for discussion for the time being.  I'm doing it and that's what I need for right now.

However, based on the tone of the other thread and the way that you worded your goal, my guess is that you understand there may be other options, but right now you are sticking with what works, and aren't looking for advice on that aspect of things. If my assumption is correct, feel free to confirm with a follow up comment, and we'll make sure to respect those wishes (maybe next year ). With what little I know about you, there are a few people that pop in my mind as being super valuable. Jon_Snow just recently got a Fitbit Charge (HR I think) and posts stats and his experiences with them (there was also a review tangent in his journal - similar to your thread), and eat.train.yoga.love might be a good resource to discuss relationships with food, since it seems you are on similar paths (either one of you can correct me if I'm wrong, as that has happened...once). I highly suggest perusing the earlier pages. The first few posts are collections of different things that may be of use, and I constantly add to them.

Thank you. I'll go through the whole thread when I have time.  But right now, I feel good just getting my goals, as small as they are, out there.  Right now every little step for me is a step in right direction.  My relationship with food is something I've been dealing with and ignoring, and then dealing with again for all of my life, so you picked up on it correctly. :)

The resource post contains helpful links, books, and apps. The tracking post is a list of everyone's goals, and the goal description post has additional information on the goals. Welcome again, and we're glad to have you!!

jordanread

« Reply #935 on: April 29, 2016, 03:08:09 PM »
FIO, Every journey begins with those little steps. It will be awesome. Feel free to just suss out your plan (if that's the route you want to go) here, and people will chime in with suggestions for tweaks. I did want to say that I really liked the wording of your flexibility goals. Finding the limits of what you are capable of is an awesome end goal.

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #936 on: April 29, 2016, 03:13:26 PM »
The inability to get my blood pressure down with diet (watching sodium) led me to starting to lose weight.

So I started using a fitbit and counting calories (instead of just limiting sodium and increasing potassium). Since the beginning of March, I'm down to 207 from 220, did a couch to 5k (31 minutes) and am keeping up with the running, albeit now I'm getting a HR monitor and not caring about distance.

Daily goals:
1000 calorie deficit (through June 4)
10,000 steps a day

Mid-term goals
190 lbs by July 4 
100 pushups by July 4
100 situps by July 4

Long term goal:
Lower blood pressure
175 lbs by July 4, 2017.

Oh, and in case anyone attacks my calorie deficit: Most of my meals are prepared by a Dietitian or under the supervision of a Dietitian.

jordanread

« Reply #937 on: April 29, 2016, 03:40:20 PM »
The inability to get my blood pressure down with diet (watching sodium) led me to starting to lose weight.

So I started using a fitbit and counting calories (instead of just limiting sodium and increasing potassium). Since the beginning of March, I'm down to 207 from 220, did a couch to 5k (31 minutes) and am keeping up with the running, albeit now I'm getting a HR monitor and not caring about distance.

Daily goals:
10,000 steps a day

Mid-term goals
190 lbs by July 4 
100 pushups by July 4
100 situps by July 4

Long term goal:
Lower blood pressure
175 lbs by July 4, 2017.

Oh, and in case anyone attacks my calorie deficit: Most of my meals are prepared by a Dietitian or under the supervision of a Dietitian.

mtn, for some reason I thought you were already here. My mistake. I've got you added to the tracking post. I did do a bit of math to calculate the end of the year weight assuming that you hit your 7/4 goal. Of course, it's a linear calculation, assuming constant fat loss of 15lbs over 365 days (~.04lbs/day) with 180 days left in 2016 as of 07/04/2016 (~7.5). And yes, I did all this math, and then I realized that 07/04 is pretty much the halfway point of the year. Silly of me. Anyway, your goals I added as listed below. They look okay?

mtn
  • 1000 calories/day deficit
  • 10000 steps/day
  • Lose 17lbs of fat by 07/04/2016
  • 1 set/100 pushups by 07/04/2016
  • 1 set/100 situps by 07/04/2016
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Lose 24.5lbs of fat

mtn

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #938 on: April 29, 2016, 04:01:27 PM »

Daily goals:
10,000 steps a day

Mid-term goals
190 lbs by July 4 
100 pushups by July 4
100 situps by July 4

Long term goal:
Lower blood pressure
175 lbs by July 4, 2017.

mtn, for some reason I thought you were already here. My mistake. I've got you added to the tracking post. I did do a bit of math to calculate the end of the year weight assuming that you hit your 7/4 goal. Of course, it's a linear calculation, assuming constant fat loss of 15lbs over 365 days (~.04lbs/day) with 180 days left in 2016 as of 07/04/2016 (~7.5). And yes, I did all this math, and then I realized that 07/04 is pretty much the halfway point of the year. Silly of me. Anyway, your goals I added as listed below. They look okay?

mtn
  • 1000 calories/day deficit
  • 10000 steps/day
  • Lose 17lbs of fat by 07/04/2016
  • 1 set/100 pushups by 07/04/2016
  • 1 set/100 situps by 07/04/2016
  • Lower blood pressure
  • Lose 24.5lbs of fat

Looks good, but the calorie deficit won't continue for very long. I'd just remove that since it isn't a goal in and of itself, just a means for the goal.

Thanks for maintaining this thread!

jordanread

« Reply #939 on: April 29, 2016, 04:06:39 PM »
Looks good, but the calorie deficit won't continue for very long. I'd just remove that since it isn't a goal in and of itself, just a means for the goal.

Thanks for maintaining this thread!

I went ahead and removed that goal. And you're welcome for running this gauntlet. It's a fair amount of work (even more this year than last...I can't wait to see how next year goes), but I get so much out of it, it's more than worth it. And it provides value to other people too!

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #940 on: April 29, 2016, 06:12:27 PM »
So blood work was never one of my goals, but health in general certainly is. So I figured it would be worth sharing on here: I got my cholesterol checked, and I have some great numbers! Sadly, I didn't get one of the fancy subtype panels, but it's a start.

Non-fasting panel:  (Reference range)
Triglycerides: 56 mg/dL (<=499 mg/dL)
LDL: 84 mg/dL (<=159 mg/dL)
HDL: 81 mg/dL (>=40 mg/dL)

It's incredibly uncommon to have you HDL ("good") higher than your LDL ("bad"), and the fact that I'm close kinda blows my mind, haha. Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone for the community on the gauntlet here really helping me stick with my workout goals. My food has always been a priority, but I don't always follow through on structured, formal exercise as often as I would like!

MrDelane

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #941 on: April 30, 2016, 10:21:10 AM »
Non-fasting panel:  (Reference range)
Triglycerides: 56 mg/dL (<=499 mg/dL)
LDL: 84 mg/dL (<=159 mg/dL)
HDL: 81 mg/dL (>=40 mg/dL)

Wow.  Those are some impressive numbers.
Congrats!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #942 on: April 30, 2016, 06:39:06 PM »
Is it too late to join?

Dipping my toes in as well, then.

Goals:
Pass the FitRanX Level 1 test
Do two pull ups
Lose 10 pounds
Lose an additional 10 pounds

I did the level 1 test about two months ago I think? And it revealed that my arms are even weaker than I thought (my triceps were laughable) and I also need to work on my core, so that's what my recent routine has been focusing on. For the weight loss I'm trying to make better choices. I've done calorie counting in the past but I have to be in the right mindset for it so I don't obsess so I'm not doing it right now, but even having done it in the past is helping me make informed choices. I'm hoping to get a FitBit in the next couple months and that should help me be a little more active in spite of a sedentary job.

Here's my current twice a week gym routine (unfortunately I don't have the time to go more often). My apologies for some of the wording here, I don't know the correct terms for some exercises.

1. Warm up/stretching
2. Jump up and grab the pull up bar, pull up my knees so my hips/thighs are at a 90 degree angle. Hanging knee raises
3. At least one round, preferable more of:
-Tricep push ups (for lack of a more accurate term)
-Push ups
-Tricep dips
4. Squats 20 30!
5. Crunches on an exercise ball
6. Full plank as long as possible, then plank on knees as long as possible
7. Stretching
8. Walk briskly on treadmill for any remaining time

I'm already seeing some progress. When I started I could barely hang on to the pull up bar much less pull my knees up, now I can pull them up twice. I also couldn't even finish a single tricep push up in the FitRanx test, now I can do several - still not enough to pass yet, but that will come with time.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 01:55:10 PM by meerkat »

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #943 on: April 30, 2016, 06:43:34 PM »
Checking in:
  • Complete a 10K run
I'm doing C210K.  I still have a long ways to go before I can run one, and there don't seem to be any around when I'll be ready. 

• Complete a 5k in under 30 minutes
Ran the Insane Inflatables 5k a couple weeks ago.  They don't time it, but I timed it on my vivofit2 and got 33 minutes.  It was fun, but all the obstacles don't help for a timed run, do they?  I'll probably need to do a vanilla run in the future, but I've been finding out about gimmicky runs and they look so fun.  I might do a Warrior Dash next year.

• 1 set/5 pullup (Stretch: 1set/>10 pullups)
I've been confusing pullups with chinups.  I can do about 6 chinups, but I can do 4 pullups.  So close to that goal, but not as close as I thought.

• Drop weight to 145lbs
Current weight: 151lbs.

And this isn't an official goal, but I kind of want to look good in a tank top.  When I was younger, I didn't feel comfortable wearing one when I was younger because I was kinda scrawny and it felt like it was falling off me.  I gained weight and I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one because chubby guy with a tank top just looks weird.  So anyways, went to a store and tried one on.  And I don't know.  I'm thinner and have more tone in my arms, so I don't look bad in it, but it still felt really weird exposing that much.  I don't know, maybe I'm just not a tank top person.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #944 on: May 02, 2016, 06:17:18 AM »
Check-in:

Three runs this past week, no calf pain! I think I'm officially back in action. I also managed a couple swims, two bodyweight workouts (mostly upper body and core focused, trying not to add anything else to my calves), and a round of yoga. Not a bad week.

I've been researching speed work for running. I've never done speed work outside the occasional fartlek for fun. But, I think my June half marathon I'd like to cut my mileage a bit and add in some speed work. Summer will be mostly shorter races, so I hope that less miles, more intensity will lead to another 5K PR. I know most people on here are not runners, but if anyone has tips on speed work, feel free to pass them my way.

Ran the Insane Inflatables 5k a couple weeks ago.  They don't time it, but I timed it on my vivofit2 and got 33 minutes.  It was fun, but all the obstacles don't help for a timed run, do they?  I'll probably need to do a vanilla run in the future, but I've been finding out about gimmicky runs and they look so fun.  I might do a Warrior Dash next year.

I really had fun at the Warrior Dash runs we have done. If you can, convince friends. Much more fun in a group. Also keep an eye out before registering. Usually for Cyber Monday they have a day where registration is only $35 for any race. Otherwise they can be pretty expensive!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #945 on: May 02, 2016, 07:31:27 AM »
Being that I was a complete fitness noob when I jotted down my goals (and still am!), I'd like to make a modification :)

2016 Goals:
    • Complete 30 Days & 30 Stretches to Splits program <= 60 days
    • 1 set/10 lunges (without crying)
    • 1 set/10 push ups
    • Remove: >= 2 miles jogged | regularly play tennis | >= 2x/week cardio classes at gym
    • Add: Complete the YAYOG 10-week Basic Program

I'm really enjoying YAYOG (You Are Your Own Gym)! Somehow the bodyweight training, the 
you don't need any equipment other than your own body feels so very Mustachian to me. I found some leftover iTunes music and was able to download the $5 app. I've done 2 work-outs so far and it is 100% worth it for me! (I used to pay someone $150/mo to shout directions at me, so this is much, much better).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #946 on: May 02, 2016, 07:50:40 AM »
Well, May is here and that means that this is my last all-out month at the gym before I switch into "outdoor stuff" mode. So I'm going to increase the weights on all my lifts starting today and give it hell for the next month. I will mix in the occasional gym workout throughout the summer when I'm in Vancouver...but it's mostly kayaking, hiking, running, garden work, etc...

My tricky Achilles problem has been a factor of late...I felt it "pop" yesterday on a 5km hill run. It is beyond frustrating that my running progress might be held back by this issue when everything else is progressing so well. My half marathon in June looms large...

Body fat % is hovering right around 10%...not sure I want to make the necessary dietary changes that would be needed to get into the single digits.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #947 on: May 02, 2016, 09:45:40 AM »
Managed to lift 2 times last week- I didn't get the 3rd lift in on account of the fact I was away for a dance event- Danced Friday- live music (AWESOME)
Danced- again Friday- CD- all improve- which is normally my go to- but this was not super familar music to me- so was tricky- but felt super beat up from both sets- emotionally and physically.

Danced Saturday with the pro troupe- awesome set.

Sunday was recoup- and errand running day- and my errands took me WAY longer than I wanted- so no Sunday lift for me. WOMP WOMP.
That's okay- I was able to get my food sorted for the week AND meal prep- win win.

On to lifting for this week- looking like Monday, Thursday Friday- I might be able to do a Wed lift- but I know I have Thursday available. I don't have my gig schedule yet- but we'll work that out.

COME ON MAY!!! WOOT WOOT ALL THE LIFTING- and all the fabulousness.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #948 on: May 02, 2016, 10:37:30 AM »

New month check in:

Jordan, you can cross off

• 1 set/5 muscle ups
  • >= 70 pushups <= 00:60
  • 1 set/1 bench press 210lbs

from my goals!!!!!
WWWOOOOOOOO  Progress!!!

2 more weeks to Bay to Breakers 2016 - possibly the last time I go all out stipper mode (I may be a full-time stay-at-home dad this time next year).  Happy with the 'look', but I've been doing moderate weight higher rep lifts (like 12-15rep @ ~70% instead of 5 @ 90% I usually do, to build up some showy glycogen stores; something I first learned about on the first major fitness thread on the MMM boards!) and some isolation exercises instead of the functional compound lifts I normally do anyway.
Despite that (or maybe because of the stimulus of change?) was able to hit my 1RM bench goal this morning :-)

On a good day I can sometimes get a single rep of one-armed pull-up.  But moving slightly backwards on OH press :-/ ache vecho
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 10:40:02 AM by Bakari »

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #949 on: May 02, 2016, 11:44:31 AM »
So fun to see the progress everyone is making! I'm all excited for all of you!!

I'm hoping to get a FitBit in the next couple months and that should help me be a little more active in spite of a sedentary job.

Here's my current twice a week gym routine (unfortunately I don't have the time to go more often). My apologies for some of the wording here, I don't know the correct terms for some exercises.

2. Jump up and grab the pull up bar, pull up my knees so my hips/thighs are at a 90 degree angle.

-Tricep push ups (for lack of a more accurate term)

I love my Fitbit, I find if I am hitting my step goal my weight usually trends downwards.
2. I believe these are either called hanging leg raises/lifts or hanging crunches
And a tricep push up is definitely a thing. ;)

Body fat % is hovering right around 10%...not sure I want to make the necessary dietary changes that would be needed to get into the single digits.

I find the trade-off in lifestyle to not be worth it. But YMMV.

Despite that (or maybe because of the stimulus of change?) was able to hit my 1RM bench goal this morning :-)

I bet the isolation work(I'm assuming it is similar to accessory work) helped strengthen some weak points and improved the bench!