Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 350606 times)

karaishere

• Stubble
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #350 on: January 19, 2016, 05:40:03 PM »
20 mins on my rebounder - my goal is 45
15 kettlebell swings - my goal is 50  I am not sure I am doing these correctly.  I need to get the form down.

I slacked off a bit but am back on track.

You might want to reach out to thegoblinchief. I think he did some training on that. Has anyone else here done kettlebell swings, and have anything regarding proper resources related to form?

You quickly open your hips while squeezing your glutes to make the kettlebell swing without using your arms (they basically act as a lever here, so just keep them straight and hang on). Keep your back neutral (no arching backwards), your core engaged, and your weight mostly in your heels. The more rapidly you open your hips, the more power you put into the swing and the faster your KB will swing up. If you're doing these right, your hamstrings and glutes will be on fire and your heart rate will go up. You may feel fatigue in your forearms from gripping the handle. If you feel other parts of your arms, shoulders, or low back getting tired, that means you're using the wrong muscles and doing them wrong.

The guy in this video looks to have pretty good form: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cVT3ee9mgU

It feels like I am doing what you describe but I know I am not nailing down a part of it.  I don't feel the fire at all.  I will take a look at this video when I get home and keep trying to perfect the form.

Thank you to you both.

How heavy is your kettlebell? Maybe you could try warming up with some glute activation moves: clams, single leg deadlifts, single leg bridges?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #351 on: January 19, 2016, 06:25:46 PM »
Ditto wondering about your KB weight.  I usually use a 25# bell for 1-handed swings and it's definitely more metcon, though if I do enough swings I feel the burn in the form of glute and hamstring soreness later.  Even 1-handed, I need to go to my 35# bell (or 50# 2-handed) to really feel my muscles fatiguing without lots of reps.

Tyson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #352 on: January 19, 2016, 06:47:02 PM »

Wasn't quite sure about the specifics of these goals, but above I posted what I thought you meant. Hope it works well, but if not, let me know the specifics you want listed. Also, due to your unique name, I remember conversations last year regarding body weight training. Would you mind sharing where you are currently?

Running - Right now I'm just trying to get to where I can run continuously for 30 minutes.  I'm at 6 minutes currently, going to increase by 1 minute every workout.  So it might end up 3 minutes per week instead of 2 like I originally said. 

Convict Conditioning - 2 things happened - I completely stopped doing anything over christmas/new years break, and then I got sick right after that, so went for about a month doing nothing.  That was a setback, but not horrible. I also decided that I actually rushed through some of the earlier variations too quickly.  So I've dropped back to the following:

Full Pushups
Narrow Full Squats
Jackknife Pullups
Floor Flat Leg Raises
Angled Bridges

One thing I'm changing this year - I'm going to add reps much, much more slowly and I'm going to really, really stick with each variation and have complete and utter mastery over it before I even consider moving on to the next step.  Becoming impatient and rushing through the variations was a big mistake last time. 

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #353 on: January 19, 2016, 07:12:57 PM »
Thank you all for the insight about the kettlebells.  I think I am not using enough weight.  I was only using 10lbs to start, I am embarrassed to say that now, but I wanted to start off slow to avoid injuries.  But, I think that is the problem.  I will try a higher weight. 

Thanks again.

IloveBakari

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #354 on: January 19, 2016, 08:58:02 PM »

FWIW, I'm here with you! Just didn't list it as a goal. But DH and I will (most likely) start trying to conceive in the fall. Definitely a motivator for fitness and nutrition choices! So you have a goal buddy for that one.

Now just to cut down on coffee and wine in the meantime... I'm working on the second one, anyway =P

Yes exactly! I want to start making the healthy choices now that I will need to make when I'm pregnant so the transition is easier. I'm glad we can be goal buddies for this!

Everyone else, sorry for the overshare :)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #355 on: January 20, 2016, 08:15:08 AM »
Thank you all for the insight about the kettlebells.  I think I am not using enough weight.  I was only using 10lbs to start, I am embarrassed to say that now, but I wanted to start off slow to avoid injuries.  But, I think that is the problem.  I will try a higher weight. 

Thanks again.

Don't be embarrassed!  It's a good idea to start with a light one to learn the move.  I keep my smaller bell that I started with just for that purpose.  The swing is kind of different because the bell is basically acting like a counter-weight to your torso/butt, so if it's really light, it just doesn't work right. 

While you're playing around with the KB's, you might enjoy learning to do Turkish get-ups as well.  They work every muscle, so they're great for warming up and are good for muscle coordination too.  But do start with a very light weight on those.  :)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #356 on: January 20, 2016, 09:34:32 AM »
I took a bit of time to create a spreadsheet with charts that people can print out and put on the fridge or something. There is a post somewhere about how having something old school (like paper) with a trendline based on end-of-year goals can let you know if you are on track. You can make a copy, or just change the goals and print it out. Here is the link to the document.

This looks interesting, but I'm not entirely clear on how its meant to be used.  What do the numbers mean?  Where does one put what?

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #357 on: January 20, 2016, 09:35:48 AM »

Thanks again.

Don't be embarrassed!  It's a good idea to start with a light one to learn the move.  I keep my smaller bell that I started with just for that purpose.  The swing is kind of different because the bell is basically acting like a counter-weight to your torso/butt, so if it's really light, it just doesn't work right. 

While you're playing around with the KB's, you might enjoy learning to do Turkish get-ups as well.  They work every muscle, so they're great for warming up and are good for muscle coordination too.  But do start with a very light weight on those.  :)

I agree with Horespoor! You have no reason to be embarrassed! You're learning! I'm sure everyone is commenting because they want you to succeed because KBS are so fun!

With the lighter KB sometimes you need to do more reps before you start to feel the burn, but I do agree that something a little heavier (I like 26-35 lbs range) can help you feel sooner if you're activating the right muscles because it becomes more obvious when you're using your arms or whatever.

You might try warming up your glutes with 5-10 reps of a few different body weight moves, then do 5-10 swings with your light KB, then start your "official" reps with your new heavier KB. You would be surprised at how many people don't know how to activate their glutes because we (as a culture in general) sit so much. For me, warming up sufficiently reminds my body to turn them on, so that when it's time for the official reps everything is firing correctly and I feel the burn.

Also, the 10bs is a great size for turkish get ups once your learn them without weight. They are so fun and really work your core stability! Here's a pretty good video about good vs bad get ups:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bWRPC49-KI

I hope I'm not over-advising. Good luck! You're going to get these.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #358 on: January 20, 2016, 10:03:16 AM »
So I've been running in cold weather for a couple years now, but this year something is different. My arms are always FREEZING. I have tried different layering. My hands are fine, my core is fine, my legs are fine, but my arms freeze for some reason. I've tried putting on another layer, but then my trunk was way too warm. I did try wearing a zip up outer layer that I could unzip to cool off the core, but that just seemed to allow cool air in to the arms as well (jacket is a little big, that could be part of the problem. Extra space around the shoulders for air to go down the arms.) My next thought is to cut the toes out of a pair of old tube socks to make arm warmers.

Any tips from other cold weather exercisers?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #359 on: January 20, 2016, 10:03:52 AM »
I took a bit of time to create a spreadsheet with charts that people can print out and put on the fridge or something. There is a post somewhere about how having something old school (like paper) with a trendline based on end-of-year goals can let you know if you are on track. You can make a copy, or just change the goals and print it out. Here is the link to the document.

This looks interesting, but I'm not entirely clear on how its meant to be used.  What do the numbers mean?  Where does one put what?
You put in whatever number you need for the metric (pounds lifted, miles run) each day, and the graphs on the last tab will indicate if it is close to where it needs to be.

I've mentioned it before, but one of my favorite parts about beeminder is that if you enter the data, it not only creates the trendline for you, but also tells you how much you should do on X day to get up to trendline. It's great for running/time goals, only okay for weightlifting goals. Here's my beeminder trendline for accomplishing 365 miles of running this year.

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #360 on: January 20, 2016, 10:54:44 AM »
Coming out of lurking to join the fun and stay motivated. My goals for 2016 are:

For May 1:
Complete 16 week marathon training program
Finish < 4:00 in my 1st (& probably last) marathon  (ran my 1st 1/2 at 1:48 in the fall)
Cut to 165lbs by race day (currently 175)

For Dec 31:
Bulk to 181lbs
Improve squat to 405lbs (Currently 360)
Improve deadlift to 500lbs (Currently 430)
Improve flexibility (especially ankle dorsiflexion) - this should improve my form and help increase 1RM

jordanread

« Reply #361 on: January 20, 2016, 11:08:23 AM »

You put in whatever number you need for the metric (pounds lifted, miles run) each day, and the graphs on the last tab will indicate if it is close to where it needs to be.

I've mentioned it before, but one of my favorite parts about beeminder is that if you enter the data, it not only creates the trendline for you, but also tells you how much you should do on X day to get up to trendline. It's great for running/time goals, only okay for weightlifting goals. Here's my beeminder trendline for accomplishing 365 miles of running this year.

That's way better than my quick and dirty one. I like it.

Bakari, I'm going to make up some starting points with your squat goal. I'll assume a starting weight of 95lbs. Take a look at the 'Goals' tab and the 'Daily' chart. This is a super rough thing. Base functionality is for straight linear goals, without a difference between the charts (since I only have so much time), but messing with the other sheets will yield some additional functionality, especially when you use formulas instead of base numbers. If you want to touch base a little later, I can give you some additional guidance. I only made the base functionality because I know that I'll get totally caught up in it and not get anything else accomplished.

Coming out of lurking to join the fun and stay motivated. My goals for 2016 are:

For May 1:
Finish < 4:00 in my 1st (& probably last) marathon  (ran my 1st 1/2 at 1:48 in the fall)

For Dec 31:
Bulk to 181lbs
Improve flexibility (especially ankle dorsiflexion) - this should improve my form and help increase 1RM

I'll add those to the tracking post momentarily. Welcome to the Gauntlet!!

jordanread

« Reply #362 on: January 20, 2016, 11:34:42 AM »

For May 1:

For Dec 31:
Bulk to 181lbs

I think I have all of your goals added. I assumed you meant finish in < 1 hour as opposed to 4, so I reflected that in the goals. Also, I'm not sure what 1RM means specifically, and as it relates to flexibility. Do you care to expand on that?

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #363 on: January 20, 2016, 11:44:51 AM »

For May 1:

For Dec 31:
Bulk to 181lbs

I think I have all of your goals added. I assumed you meant finish in < 1 hour as opposed to 4, so I reflected that in the goals. Also, I'm not sure what 1RM means specifically, and as it relates to flexibility. Do you care to expand on that?

I'm pretty sure a sub-1 hour marathon would be crazypants. It's probably sub-4 hours.

jordanread

« Reply #364 on: January 20, 2016, 11:50:03 AM »

Wasn't quite sure about the specifics of these goals, but above I posted what I thought you meant. Hope it works well, but if not, let me know the specifics you want listed. Also, due to your unique name, I remember conversations last year regarding body weight training. Would you mind sharing where you are currently?

Running - Right now I'm just trying to get to where I can run continuously for 30 minutes.  I'm at 6 minutes currently, going to increase by 1 minute every workout.  So it might end up 3 minutes per week instead of 2 like I originally said. 

Convict Conditioning - 2 things happened - I completely stopped doing anything over christmas/new years break, and then I got sick right after that, so went for about a month doing nothing.  That was a setback, but not horrible. I also decided that I actually rushed through some of the earlier variations too quickly.  So I've dropped back to the following:

Full Pushups
Narrow Full Squats
Jackknife Pullups
Floor Flat Leg Raises
Angled Bridges

One thing I'm changing this year - I'm going to add reps much, much more slowly and I'm going to really, really stick with each variation and have complete and utter mastery over it before I even consider moving on to the next step.  Becoming impatient and rushing through the variations was a big mistake last time.

I'll leave the CC goals as they are, but I changed the running goal to "Run >= 30:00 non-stop". Does that work?

Also, that is a kickass progression!!!

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #365 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
I definitely don't think I can halve the current world record, but I'll try my best haha. (4 hours was correct)

1RM = 1 rep max. It relates to my weightlifting goals because my horrible mobility is impeding my lifting progress.

For squats specifically, my ankles aren't flexible enough so I have to hinge more at the hips, causing me to use more back muscles instead of legs. If I can bend farther forward at my ankles, I can stay more upright at the bottom of the squat and be able to lift more. That's the plan anyways

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #366 on: January 20, 2016, 11:59:37 AM »
Also, I'm not sure what 1RM means specifically, and as it relates to flexibility. Do you care to expand on that?

1RM stands for 1 Rep Max.

Ankle flexibility (the dorsiflexion) impacts how good your squat position is. More flexibility = better squat position = able to move weight more efficiently (easier) = able to increase 1RM.

McBuck what stretches, etc. are you doing to improve your ankles? I am also working on that.

(edit: I guess we posted at the same time. :D)

jordanread

« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2016, 12:25:49 PM »
I definitely don't think I can halve the current world record, but I'll try my best haha. (4 hours was correct)

Yeah, that was my fault. I missed the '1/2' part of your commentary below, and got confused with your current time:

I don't run, so these are just numbers for me. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part.

So I've been running in cold weather for a couple years now, but this year something is different. My arms are always FREEZING. I have tried different layering. My hands are fine, my core is fine, my legs are fine, but my arms freeze for some reason. I've tried putting on another layer, but then my trunk was way too warm. I did try wearing a zip up outer layer that I could unzip to cool off the core, but that just seemed to allow cool air in to the arms as well (jacket is a little big, that could be part of the problem. Extra space around the shoulders for air to go down the arms.) My next thought is to cut the toes out of a pair of old tube socks to make arm warmers.

Any tips from other cold weather exercisers?

I bike year round, and haven't had the same issue. It's usually my legs. That being said, I do have some arm only things (these ones), but even down to -14F, haven't had to use them. I like the idea of using socks as arm warmers, but remember that the main issue to deal with is 'wicking'. Cotton Kills. If you have some other material, I'd suggest using that instead, after researching it.

Friar

• Stubble
« Reply #368 on: January 20, 2016, 02:31:42 PM »

McBuck what stretches, etc. are you doing to improve your ankles? I am also working on that.

Ditto. I try and sit in the third world squat for 3 minutes a day minimum, but most days don't succeed :P

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #369 on: January 20, 2016, 02:55:48 PM »

Ditto. I try and sit in the third world squat for 3 minutes a day minimum, but most days don't succeed :P

good ol' mobility. What's great is that my entire left leg is a mess and tight because of my ankle. Glutes, hips, hamstrings, quads, calves, ankle, foot. All of it is on my list. None of it gets done.

Maybe we can make a February ankle challenge? 

Tyson

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #370 on: January 20, 2016, 03:03:35 PM »

good ol' mobility. What's great is that my entire left leg is a mess and tight because of my ankle. Glutes, hips, hamstrings, quads, calves, ankle, foot. All of it is on my list. None of it gets done.

My ankles used to be super tight also, for me doing the progressions in Convict Conditioning really loosened things up.  Gave me better hip and knee flexibility too.  But mostly ankles.  If I ever get back to doing weighted squats or deadlifts again, that will help those lifts a lot. 

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #371 on: January 20, 2016, 03:25:01 PM »

Haha, right?

Yeah, I sit in the bottom of a squat sometimes too, or the variation where you hold on to a door frame and sit back into the squat. It just doesn't seem to be doing anything for my ankles, but does provide a nice inner thigh stretch...

I've also been doing a lunge stretch where you hold your foot down with your hand (so your heel cannot rise) and rock forward and backward. It's what my PT told me to do, but I can't tell if it's helping at all since I still fail the pistol squat test (which is apparently what a flexible ankle can do).

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #372 on: January 22, 2016, 11:04:39 AM »

I've started doing Limber11 with foam rolling for my lower body. Rolling my achilles tends to loosen up my ankles a bit
http://imgur.com/a/476PX
For my ankles, I really like this exercise where you bend until your knee touches the wall without your heel coming up. You can track your progress by measuring how far you can move your foot from the wall.

another one I like is using a towel

If anybody has other stretches they enjoy I'd love to hear them.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #373 on: January 22, 2016, 12:56:16 PM »

Thanks again.

I agree with Horespoor! You have no reason to be embarrassed! You're learning! I'm sure everyone is commenting because they want you to succeed because KBS are so fun!

With the lighter KB sometimes you need to do more reps before you start to feel the burn, but I do agree that something a little heavier (I like 26-35 lbs range) can help you feel sooner if you're activating the right muscles because it becomes more obvious when you're using your arms or whatever.

You might try warming up your glutes with 5-10 reps of a few different body weight moves, then do 5-10 swings with your light KB, then start your "official" reps with your new heavier KB. You would be surprised at how many people don't know how to activate their glutes because we (as a culture in general) sit so much. For me, warming up sufficiently reminds my body to turn them on, so that when it's time for the official reps everything is firing correctly and I feel the burn.

Also, the 10bs is a great size for turkish get ups once your learn them without weight. They are so fun and really work your core stability! Here's a pretty good video about good vs bad get ups:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bWRPC49-KI

I hope I'm not over-advising. Good luck! You're going to get these.

Thank you Horsepoor and Karaishere.  I really appreciate it.  I only have a 10lb bell so I will pick up at least 25 lbs , I do think the weight is the problem.  My form certainly needs improving but the weight is not enough for me to be able to push it forward with my lower body and get it right so my arms do the work.  I do warm up first on my rebounder.  I actually do about 15-20mins on it before I do the kettlebell so it really works my legs and glutes. 

I checked out the Turkish get ups.  Interesting.  I will try these later without the bell but these look great at working your whole body. Great suggestion.

I appreciate the advice. I will order some kettlebells tonight for in store pickup, otherwise my ups man will hate me.  LOL

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #374 on: January 22, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »
I did weight-training at a new gym this morning and it was really fun. Small class, 5 people, but other people working through individual lifts around the gym. No cardio going on, just lifting. The instructor was a young petite lady deadlift champion, which was rad. All different shapes, sizes, colors and a good mix of genders at the gym. Felt pretty great :-)

Did 90 26lb kettlebell swings + 30 ring rows, 30 chin-ups, plus 50 10lb lateral lifts and a 50 mountain climbers in <2 minutes challenge.

I'm liking this Class-pass things where I get to try out different gyms. My gym-around-the-corner however offered me a discount ($75/month for 8 classes) and I'm sorely tempted to do that for the convenience factor.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: January 22, 2016, 01:49:18 PM »
Thank you Horsepoor and Karaishere.  I really appreciate it.  I only have a 10lb bell so I will pick up at least 25 lbs , I do think the weight is the problem.  My form certainly needs improving but the weight is not enough for me to be able to push it forward with my lower body and get it right so my arms do the work. I do warm up first on my rebounder.  I actually do about 15-20mins on it before I do the kettlebell so it really works my legs and glutes. 

I checked out the Turkish get ups.  Interesting.  I will try these later without the bell but these look great at working your whole body. Great suggestion.

I appreciate the advice. I will order some kettlebells tonight for in store pickup, otherwise my ups man will hate me.  LOL

WAIT! Your arms are not supposed to be doing the work.

jordanread

« Reply #376 on: January 22, 2016, 01:50:26 PM »
Little/poor sleep, feeling bummed, thus telling myself I don't need to go. So, posting here so I will go!

I've complicated it by adding on additional town errands that I don't love. This is the real thing demotivating me. So, I will take the worst one of those off my plate, go straight to the pool, and see what I feel able to do after. Bye bye!

You've got this scrubby!!!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #377 on: January 22, 2016, 01:57:36 PM »
Little/poor sleep, feeling bummed, thus telling myself I don't need to go. So, posting here so I will go!

I've complicated it by adding on additional town errands that I don't love. This is the real thing demotivating me. So, I will take the worst one of those off my plate, go straight to the pool, and see what I feel able to do after. Bye bye!

You've got this scrubby!!!

Yea, scrubby!! I didn't want to go to the gym at 5:30 this morning, but I did and it was great. You'll feel the same!

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #378 on: January 22, 2016, 02:26:10 PM »

I've started doing Limber11 with foam rolling for my lower body. Rolling my achilles tends to loosen up my ankles a bit
http://imgur.com/a/476PX
For my ankles, I really like this exercise where you bend until your knee touches the wall without your heel coming up. You can track your progress by measuring how far you can move your foot from the wall.

another one I like is using a towel

If anybody has other stretches they enjoy I'd love to hear them.

Ouch. That limber 11 "rollover to v-sit" move looks painful. O_O I have done the other two moves before, but forgot about them, so thanks!

I've also been doing a lunge stretch where you hold your foot down with your hand (so your heel cannot rise) and rock forward and backward. It's what my PT told me to do, but I can't tell if it's helping at all since I still fail the pistol squat test (which is apparently what a flexible ankle can do).

I also looked up the stretch I was talking about here. This link has a video of it: http://www.functionalmovement.com/exercises/dorsiflexion_from_half_kneeling_with_dowel

Also, a fun fact that I learned at PT yesterday: the pistol squat is not actually limited by ankle mobility for most people. For most, it's difficult because of the core stability and leg strength required. So, my crossfit coaches were wrong on that one. Anyway, apparently you can test your ankle flexibility by getting into a deep squat with your knees in your armpits and arms extended with your hands together. If your pinkies can touch the floor with your knees still in your armpits, then you actually have decent ankle flexibility.

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #379 on: January 22, 2016, 06:17:14 PM »
Thank you Horsepoor and Karaishere.  I really appreciate it.  I only have a 10lb bell so I will pick up at least 25 lbs , I do think the weight is the problem.  My form certainly needs improving but the weight is not enough for me to be able to push it forward with my lower body and get it right so my arms do the work. I do warm up first on my rebounder.  I actually do about 15-20mins on it before I do the kettlebell so it really works my legs and glutes. 

Lol,  yes, I know. I need to get the heavier bell,  maybe this weekend if we don't get snowed in.

Quetzal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #380 on: January 22, 2016, 08:07:02 PM »
I did it! I ran the 10 mile race on Saturday.

This was an amazing experience. I finished in 1:27 averaging an 8:45 minute/mile pace.

Congrats! Nice work!

Quetzal

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #381 on: January 22, 2016, 08:25:23 PM »
I did go, spent my longest time in there yet, did about 50% more pool lengths than ever before, as well as the usual stretching and playing. Was so sore after, I laughed to find myself struggling with two flights of stairs, ha! But yep, it was one of the two best parts of my day, for sure!

Great work, scrubbyfish! You've totally inspired me! I will be up and on the treadmill and aim to do my longest time in honor of you kicking butt!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #382 on: January 23, 2016, 02:16:14 PM »
Ran Freezeout Challenge this morning.  It's supposed to be 12K, but I'm not sure if that distance is totally accurate.  Anyway, the second quarter is a pretty tough hill climb, but then that's mitigated by turning around and running back down.  My longest run since my last half marathon in early November.  Finishing time was 1:06:08, which is just under a 9:00 mile.  Pretty happy with that, since it means I could break 2:00 on the half if I can add some endurance to my current cruising speed.

karaishere

• Stubble
« Reply #383 on: January 23, 2016, 02:42:49 PM »
Figured I'd check-in for the week. :)

cardio - none...but I'll probably get out for a walk tomorrow as it will be warm (low 40s)!
yoga - twice (check)
stability exercises - twice (check)
WOD - once (check)

Lol,  yes, I know. I need to get the heavier bell,  maybe this weekend if we don't get snowed in.

Oh, I was confused by your typo. I thought after all of that discussion that we (mostly me) confused you.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #384 on: January 23, 2016, 03:07:39 PM »
Totally blew it on my treadmill run this morning -- tried to go too fast, too soon, and got pooped.  Had to stop and walk for a bit after just 2.5 miles of running.  But I DID run that last .5 mile after I got my heart rate back down a bit.  Covered just over 5 miles in 70 minutes.  Worst I've done for awhile, but I'll take the gold star for persistence (I almost bagged it entirely and went home, so sticking it out for the whole 70 minutes should count for something, right?)

Stats so far for the year include:

1147 minutes of activity   
73.44 miles covered   
10,190 calories burned      
18 workout sessions

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #385 on: January 23, 2016, 06:59:09 PM »
I'm in "officially" this year, although posting delayed due to last minute work trip to Australia.

Belated Thanks!  Especially to JR for starting and all for motivation!  I must admit to using this forum to help motivate me last year without contributing anything.

Goals:
* Strength Train 3x a week (except when travel...usually hike 5-8 miles a day when travel)
* Progress:  increase weights/difficulty every month.
* Cycle/Walk/Yoga/Qigong 3x a week (pick as desired).
* Bodyfat ~15% (currently ~20%).

Stretch Goals:
* Bike to work 1-2x a week
* Add 10lbs of muscle
* 5K? (this one is most likely to be a "next year" goal, I never ran anything before)

Resources:
* Zen Habbits start exercising:  http://zenhabits.net/4-simple-steps-to-start-the-exercise-habit/
* Zen Habbits all fitness: http://zenhabits.net/best-tips-getting-in-shape/
* Tracking workouts and other habits (ignored $ coaching option):  https://www.coach.me/habit-tracker

History:
Successful for ~6 months last year after an unplanned break/setback due to wrist injury (cubital tunnel)...which I used as a lame excuse to not do anything.  Presently in mediocre shape, but for me the best shape since my 20s (42 now).

Routine (in progress):
Sort of combining Convict Conditioning/Starting Strength/Stronglifts...work in progress currently is a rotating A/B format alternating every workout on Tues/Thurs/Sat.  Typically doing 3-5x5.  Presently doing/soon changing (probably changing 1-2 more times before settling in):
A:
Pistol and/or weighted Split Squat
Push-up progressions (CC, but with lower reps)
Adding: Resistance or Sandbag Band Rows
Dips
Add?:  Hanging Leg Raises

B:
Adding:  Pistol and/or weighted Split Squat
Overhead Press (changing to Handstand push-up progression because that'd be cool)
Bridge (moving to A)
Single-Leg Deadlift (remove with addition below?)
Adding:  Sandbag or Resistance Band Deadlift
Chin-up

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #386 on: January 23, 2016, 07:00:42 PM »
Got in a ton of walking while visiting Seatlle. But now I really feel the need to RUN...especially since my diet discipline went to pot while down there. Granted, it was probably worth it to enjoy some of the great dining options of the city.

Tomorrow, if the weather isn't too obscene I intend to run a 10k around Burnaby Lake (a sort of Vancouver answer to Seattle's Green Lake). ;)

Peter Gibbons

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #387 on: January 23, 2016, 08:44:30 PM »
jogged a treadmill 5k today.  First time I was able to do that in a long time without walking breaks.  Time was very poor at 45 minutes, but its a start.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #388 on: January 24, 2016, 11:49:01 AM »
Third week of weight training went great.  Getting back into deadlifting has been a breeze, and I've been adding 10lbs each week.  I'll be ready to start adding weight to my dips after this following week when I should hit 3 sets of 15.  Chin ups are still coming along slowly, working negatives has helped somewhat but I ordered some assistance bands to use as well.

After week four, I'm planning to add another day to my workout schedule as a second back day as well as some shoulder work.

I'm also looking into either Yoga or Pilates at gyms for flexibility and joint health.  From strictly that perspective (and not the meditation part of yoga), which would you guys recommend? 

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #389 on: January 24, 2016, 03:19:59 PM »
Well, another PR today. Deadlift this time. 160lbs. Only 5 lbs more, but I did 2x1 on it and it felt like way less of a struggle than my last PR. Unfortunately, I think the only way I can re-jigger the weight I have is another 15lb jump, so we'll see when that can happen.

Didn't do as much of a workout as normal, since I worked yesterday plus my Brother in Law visited today and we went over the lifts with him- he wanted to be sure he understood form before working on big lifts at his own gym.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #390 on: January 24, 2016, 05:49:01 PM »
Week 3 check-in:

• Ran 4 times
  • Swam once
  • one round of yoga

Annnnnd that's it. I did not strength train at all. It was just a weird, tough week both professionally and personally. Something had to give and the strength training gave this week. Sigh.

Random hip pain from last week did not rear it's ugly head (Yay!). Temperature has made it almost back to freezing (actually above today!) and my arms have not been weirdly cold liked they were all last week either. So at least those are positives.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #391 on: January 24, 2016, 08:42:51 PM »
Really not thrilled with my weekend eating at all lately...if it keeps up it will seriously jeopardize my fitness goals...in particular body fat % goals. I need to lock this down for the rest of January if I want to see progress from my 13% BF reading I got on January 1st. I cannot contemplate the possibility that I might go in the wrong direction...I would be most displeased.

Feb 1st I am going to do a status report on some of my goals...especially body fat and my 1 minute push up target.

I am happy with the fact that I'm really starting to notice improved muscle size and improved strength. And the legs...how I thought ignoring my legs (other than running and stationary bike work) during my workouts in 2015 is rather mind boggling. Running and hiking endurance is much improved...and I have gained some lean muscle weight because of my new attention paid to the lower torso. And reducing the amount of cardio to a more reasonable level seems to be having the desired effect of helping to improve strength gains.

But the diet...shoring up that s*** starts now.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #392 on: January 25, 2016, 07:00:36 AM »
Well, another PR today. Deadlift this time. 160lbs. Only 5 lbs more, but I did 2x1 on it and it felt like way less of a struggle than my last PR. Unfortunately, I think the only way I can re-jigger the weight I have is another 15lb jump, so we'll see when that can happen.

Didn't do as much of a workout as normal, since I worked yesterday plus my Brother in Law visited today and we went over the lifts with him- he wanted to be sure he understood form before working on big lifts at his own gym.

Creative weight additions are my favorite! If you can't get it to work, working up to multiple reps at 155 and 160 will also be PRs AND get you ready for a 15lb jump.

Congrats on the PR!

jordanread

« Reply #393 on: January 25, 2016, 07:07:26 AM »
I'm in "officially" this year, although posting delayed due to last minute work trip to Australia.

Belated Thanks!  Especially to JR for starting and all for motivation!  I must admit to using this forum to help motivate me last year without contributing anything.

Goals:
* Strength Train 3x a week (except when travel...usually hike 5-8 miles a day when travel)
* Progress:  increase weights/difficulty every month.
* Cycle/Walk/Yoga/Qigong 3x a week (pick as desired).
* Bodyfat ~15% (currently ~20%).

Stretch Goals:
* Bike to work 1-2x a week
* Add 10lbs of muscle
* 5K? (this one is most likely to be a "next year" goal, I never ran anything before)

Resources:
* Zen Habbits start exercising:  http://zenhabits.net/4-simple-steps-to-start-the-exercise-habit/
* Zen Habbits all fitness: http://zenhabits.net/best-tips-getting-in-shape/
* Tracking workouts and other habits (ignored $ coaching option):  https://www.coach.me/habit-tracker

History:
Successful for ~6 months last year after an unplanned break/setback due to wrist injury (cubital tunnel)...which I used as a lame excuse to not do anything.  Presently in mediocre shape, but for me the best shape since my 20s (42 now).

Routine (in progress):
Sort of combining Convict Conditioning/Starting Strength/Stronglifts...work in progress currently is a rotating A/B format alternating every workout on Tues/Thurs/Sat.  Typically doing 3-5x5.  Presently doing/soon changing (probably changing 1-2 more times before settling in):
A:
Pistol and/or weighted Split Squat
Push-up progressions (CC, but with lower reps)
Adding: Resistance or Sandbag Band Rows
Dips
Add?:  Hanging Leg Raises

B:
Adding:  Pistol and/or weighted Split Squat
Overhead Press (changing to Handstand push-up progression because that'd be cool)
Bridge (moving to A)
Single-Leg Deadlift (remove with addition below?)
Adding:  Sandbag or Resistance Band Deadlift
Chin-up

Glad to have you here!! I've got you added to the tracking post and the resources added to the resource post.

Welcome to the gauntlet.

I'm also looking into either Yoga or Pilates at gyms for flexibility and joint health.  From strictly that perspective (and not the meditation part of yoga), which would you guys recommend? 

I think scrubby was right. I've seen more yoga for stretching than yoga for meditation. There is of course the breathing bit, but one can take that as a way to get deeper into the stretch.

Really not thrilled with my weekend eating at all lately...if it keeps up it will seriously jeopardize my fitness goals...in particular body fat % goals. I need to lock this down for the rest of January if I want to see progress from my 13% BF reading I got on January 1st. I cannot contemplate the possibility that I might go in the wrong direction...I would be most displeased.

Feb 1st I am going to do a status report on some of my goals...especially body fat and my 1 minute push up target.

[...]

But the diet...shoring up that s*** starts now.

I'm glad the strength training is going well. Sorry to hear about the crappy weekend diet, but that can be easy enough to fix and work off. It's cool to see that you are aware that even though it was a short term 'lapse' or just letting loose, it will affect you if you do it long term. Not only does it put the weekend eating choices into perspective (i.e. is it really worth it), but if it turns out to be worth it on occasion, you can appreciate it even more, knowing that it's not quite sustainable for you. I'm pretty sure I had a better way of putting that, but that's how it came out.

To that end, a new Ask Al was uploaded this morning, and there was a quote that I thought was absolutely awesome.

Quote from: Al Kavadlo
No matter what you did yesterday or last week or last month, or maybe even this morning. Every moment offers an opportunity for a new beginning right now. So instead of feeling guilty, or feeling sorry for yourself, start taking action in this moment. If you didn't workout yesterday, work out today. If you ate something crappy at your last meal, make a better choice at your next meal. It's up to you to empower yourself and make better decisions.

bloomability

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #394 on: January 25, 2016, 07:30:01 AM »
It was a pretty light end to the lifting week with snow cancelling the gym for 3 days, so at home I followed along to Fightmaster Yoga on Youtube.

I did get a heavy deadlift day in, working up to 90% of my 1RM and a heavier bench day with doubles at 85% of my 1RM. The lifts were strong and pretty easy. I am really digging the beginner gains.

This week will be another light week with a business trip. Well, bodyweight stuff isn't easy but I really hate non barbell stuff. I'm such a meathead.

McBuck

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: January 25, 2016, 07:33:50 AM »
My first weekly update:

(Day/goal/actual)
Mon/rest/rest
Tues/3Mi/3Mi
Wed/6Mi/6Mi
Thurs/3Mi/3Mi + 1hr floor hockey
Fri/rest/rest
Sat/6Mi/6Mi + 1.5hr volleyball
Sun/11Mi/11Mi + 1hr volleyball. Didn't plan on running the full distance but kept negotiating with myself to go a little farther until I was almost done so there was no point giving up :D

I Did a bit of stretching after most runs focusing on legs and ankles.
Also, I switched up my running technique from full strides to more of a glide to put less stress on my knees and that's been working well so far.

peppermint

• Stubble
« Reply #396 on: January 25, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
This week's goals:
- go bouldering
- go to one pilates or yoga class
- go to aerials class
- run 2x

Here's what I ended up actually doing:

- went climbing, but top-roped the whole time, no boulder.
- went to aerials class
- ran 1x (2.7 miles)

It's a new week...

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #397 on: January 25, 2016, 09:09:34 AM »

I'm glad the strength training is going well. Sorry to hear about the crappy weekend diet, but that can be easy enough to fix and work off. It's cool to see that you are aware that even though it was a short term 'lapse' or just letting loose, it will affect you if you do it long term. Not only does it put the weekend eating choices into perspective (i.e. is it really worth it), but if it turns out to be worth it on occasion, you can appreciate it even more, knowing that it's not quite sustainable for you. I'm pretty sure I had a better way of putting that, but that's how it came out.

To that end, a new Ask Al was uploaded this morning, and there was a quote that I thought was absolutely awesome.

Quote from: Al Kavadlo
No matter what you did yesterday or last week or last month, or maybe even this morning. Every moment offers an opportunity for a new beginning right now. So instead of feeling guilty, or feeling sorry for yourself, start taking action in this moment. If you didn't workout yesterday, work out today. If you ate something crappy at your last meal, make a better choice at your next meal. It's up to you to empower yourself and make better decisions.

Ah, JR...leave it to you properly put my diet "fails" into proper prospective. I definitely view it as a fixable "lapse". And perhaps even "worth it"...I was out of town, meeting some wonderful new people in an unfamiliar city...so I think I can live with some "special occasion" indulgence. That quote you posted hits the mark for me.

I feel much better about things now...thanks JR.

And I'm off to the gym in about an hour...I have a feeling that this week, the 4th and final one of the month, will be EPIC in terms of taking things to the next level. If it does go as well as I expect, I may post the details here.

I am finding myself growing impatient for the arrival of Spring and Summer...to start pursuing my outdoor passions and hobbies...to test my evolving physical capabilities...it continues to be an exciting, fulfilling journey.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: January 25, 2016, 09:42:08 AM »
I am finding myself growing impatient for the arrival of Spring and Summer...to start pursuing my outdoor passions and hobbies...to test my evolving physical capabilities...it continues to be an exciting, fulfilling journey.

There with you! There has been a hint of spring in the air the last couple days, and I've been fantasizing about:
asparagus, artichokes, and rhubarb
hiking, lake swimming, and camping
and taking naps in the sun.

jordanread

« Reply #399 on: January 25, 2016, 09:56:34 AM »
Ah, JR...leave it to you properly put my diet "fails" into proper prospective. I definitely view it as a fixable "lapse". And perhaps even "worth it"...I was out of town, meeting some wonderful new people in an unfamiliar city...so I think I can live with some "special occasion" indulgence. That quote you posted hits the mark for me.

I feel much better about things now...thanks JR.

You are very welcome! It really just made me giggle that the video was playing in another window exactly when I was reading your post. So applicable.
And I'm off to the gym in about an hour...I have a feeling that this week, the 4th and final one of the month, will be EPIC in terms of taking things to the next level. If it does go as well as I expect, I may post the details here.

I posted something last year from The Oatmeal, about the Blerch (as it relates to that most unrelatable passion to me - running). One comment he made reminds me of what you just said:

Quote from: Matthew Inman
I run long distances for the WORST possible reason. I run to eat. I punish my body outdoors to atone for my atrocities indoors.

I'm not saying that you workout to atone, but it's a fun example that I think people would like. Of course this next week is going to be epic. It will be for all of us!!!

There with you! There has been a hint of spring in the air the last couple days, and I've been fantasizing about:
asparagus, artichokes, and rhubarb
hiking, lake swimming, and camping
and taking naps in the sun.

If any of you read my journal, you know I'm going back to basics, and I am all about shifting my perception to understand the awesomeness that is each day (or you will...working on that post now). I get that summer is awesome, and I do love it (even though I carry enough...um...fat to make anything over 60F uncomfortable), but the outdoors is awesome year round. JS recently talked about reading radar maps to time runs, everyone who went to the Seattle Meetup commented on how great it was to take a walk in the rain with like minded people. The summer offers a plethora of adventures. What really sets us apart is the awesome adventures we have year round. Don't forget that! I sledded down my street a month ago because plows aren't quite willing to come on my street. It was amazing. A plastic bag can make that fun (although painful in the nether-regions - and for the love of god only do it when there is snow).