Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 350531 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1550 on: October 06, 2016, 02:43:40 PM »
And I need to re-read my prenatal lecture...

And post the results!!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1551 on: October 07, 2016, 09:02:41 AM »

And post the results!!

This is one of those things that I think you'll get conflicting input on, but personally, I think it's pretty safe to do many things, as does our doctor. My wife is 8 months pregnant, and while she is no longer feeling up to anything besides brisk walks, she continued powerlifting (our exercise of choice) for about the first 6 months. Slowly, she stopped benching (this was the first thing cut out at something like 3 months), and then deadlifting, but mostly due to body mechanics reasons with a growing abdomen. Doc was totally on board with everything as long as she kept the weights more moderate (re: no maxing out), and transitioned away from exercises that stressed the lower back over time (this was more for her health than the baby's). Belt squats are a pregnant woman's best friend. Most of the benefit of a squat with almost no lower back stress! I don't claim to be an expert, but this all went without incident for us, to provide at least one data point in favor.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1552 on: October 07, 2016, 09:16:06 AM »

And post the results!!

This is one of those things that I think you'll get conflicting input on, but personally, I think it's pretty safe to do many things, as does our doctor. My wife is 8 months pregnant, and while she is no longer feeling up to anything besides brisk walks, she continued powerlifting (our exercise of choice) for about the first 6 months. Slowly, she stopped benching (this was the first thing cut out at something like 3 months), and then deadlifting, but mostly due to body mechanics reasons with a growing abdomen. Doc was totally on board with everything as long as she kept the weights more moderate (re: no maxing out), and transitioned away from exercises that stressed the lower back over time (this was more for her health than the baby's). Belt squats are a pregnant woman's best friend. Most of the benefit of a squat with almost no lower back stress! I don't claim to be an expert, but this all went without incident for us, to provide at least one data point in favor.

Thank you! So glad to hear personally from someone who lifted through pregnancy. Did she use just a standard weight belt? Did it sit comfortably below the baby bump, or did she have to stop using it fairly early?

And congrats on the upcoming little one =)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1553 on: October 07, 2016, 05:05:43 PM »

And post the results!!

Thank you! So glad to hear personally from someone who lifted through pregnancy. Did she use just a standard weight belt? Did it sit comfortably below the baby bump, or did she have to stop using it fairly early?

And congrats on the upcoming little one =)

Thanks! Forgive me for the lack of clarity, I wasn't referring to a weightlifting belt, which she did have to stop using, although this wasn't really an issue since she stayed pretty far below her 1RM when lifting.

For the belt squats, there are special belts from which you can hang dumbells or kettlebells. The setup requires either an intentionally designed platform, a relatively hard to find (as far as I can tell) weight machine, or (and I would not recommend this when pregnant), the somewhat sketchy approach of standing with a foot each on two box squat boxes. Thus you can squat to depth without the weights hitting the floor. We're lucky enough to have a gym equipped with a belt squat machine, which made this especially safe and easy.

If that's not an option, I would say split squats or goblet squats would probably be the best choices later in the pregnancy. I think my wife used the bar until something like 4-5 months, after which she felt too much discomfort in the lower back.

21runner

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1554 on: October 08, 2016, 08:49:49 AM »
I have a new development and wanted to add to this thread! I work at a bank and sit at a desk all day long. However, I'm a very active person outside of the bank. Everyone in the accounting department that I'm in has recently decided on doing a challenge at work which requires all of us to get up once every hour during the day (not all at once obviously) and walk up and down the stairs as much as you can. After Week 1, everyone is still in on the challenge! I did 32 laps up and down the stairs (jogging) yesterday. I can feel it today. And it feels good.

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1555 on: October 08, 2016, 02:11:37 PM »
Last week (September 26) I started my more serious fitness journey. Since then I have walked/biked 37.25 miles plus started a daily 5BX routine. I don't actually have a scale so I have no idea how much weight I've lost. But I'm already feeling stronger than I was before, so I'm proud of myself. :)

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1556 on: October 09, 2016, 03:22:45 PM »
Last week (September 26) I started my more serious fitness journey. Since then I have walked/biked 37.25 miles plus started a daily 5BX routine. I don't actually have a scale so I have no idea how much weight I've lost. But I'm already feeling stronger than I was before, so I'm proud of myself. :)
Good work. Scales are a poor measure of fitness and health anyway.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1557 on: October 10, 2016, 08:34:42 AM »
Checking in... four solid runs, a bike ride, and some hip work last week. I also ran a 'time trial' to check my pacing. I know my mileage volume is down a bit from my last couple half marathons, and the time trial showed me I'm a little off in my pacing as well. No idea what that will mean for my time goals for my next half. But I have four weeks to get in solid training and sometimes that race day magic happens... so we'll see!

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1558 on: October 10, 2016, 12:20:41 PM »
Some coworkers in my area have started doing one minute mini work outs hourly. There's an empty area near us that will be turned into something else "soon" but a few of them started going over there and doing either planks, wall sits, or bridges for a minute. Everyone's good about starting quickly and going back to their desks as soon as we're done so it's not too disruptive. I'm trying to do planks because it's the last thing I need to work on for my current challenge. I can tell that doing a one minute plank multiple times a day is helping but I can also tell that something in my back is unhappy and may need stretching so I'm keeping an eye on that and will probably do something else for the next few one minute sessions. The group started off with three people, I think, and now it's a regular group of maybe ten? And not everyone does every hour, but you do what you can.

Goals:
Pass the FitRanX Level 1 test - working on the 90 second plank. On a good day I can do 60 seconds, which is better than the zero seconds I started with.
Do two pull ups - need to incorporate an assisted pull up into my routine. I know a way to do it, I just keep forgetting when I do my routine.
Lose 10 pounds - 8.2 down! I think I'm at my highest ever weight pre-pregnancy.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1559 on: October 13, 2016, 03:35:08 PM »
I've been doing great on taking very long walks (45min-1hr per day), and doing some yoga every day. I've been doing less great this week staying on top of my weight lifting and met cons. I finally dragged myself out for the first time this week to lift. I was a floppy noodle. A moody, cold, floppy noodle. But I did it, so I guess that's what counts!

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1560 on: October 13, 2016, 04:43:07 PM »
I haven't been able to work out for over a month, now. I set my fitbit for 6k steps per day, and thats pretty much the limit. Spine problems. It blows monkey balls.

Though, I'm getting better at the PT stretches. I'll take it as a win.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1561 on: October 13, 2016, 05:08:42 PM »
I haven't been able to work out for over a month, now. I set my fitbit for 6k steps per day, and thats pretty much the limit. Spine problems. It blows monkey balls.

You're still working out then, the goals just changed. =)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1562 on: October 13, 2016, 05:38:07 PM »

You're still working out then, the goals just changed. =)

This. And it's your Fitbit's fault for not being able to track the PT stretches.

I need to start refocusing on my goal of doing two pull ups. I came across this video (via Nerd Fitness) and I like the method shown there. I can't fully extend down like she did and hope to get up again, but I tried something like this today in the gym and basically started with sitting on my haunches, sort of, then pulling myself up with my upper body and assistance from the legs. I could barely do five, but I did some other stuff then came back and did four more, then other stuff, then five more. I figure it's the intro to the intro to the intro to being able to do an actual pull up, and I like it better than messing with the giant rubber bands.

Next day edit: so achy .... I didn't feel like I did much yesterday but I'm definitely feeling it today.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 05:44:33 AM by meerkat »

redbird

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1563 on: October 17, 2016, 12:49:48 PM »
Early last week I did something to mess up my left ankle. I don't know WHAT I did, and that's the frustrating part. It's OK to walk, but I can't do anything else more strenuous than that on it. I can't jog/run, I can't do jumping jacks, anything that isn't walking that requires me to put weight on it. I thought it was minor enough to heal on its own, but it's a week later and it still is a problem. I might need to get it checked out.

My fitness goals have taken a dive since then, where I haven't done much. It's frustrating, because I got excited about doing the 5BX program. Now I can't. Until I get things sorted out, I guess I need to find some other fitness routine that won't cause me pain.

Anyone else ever run into physical issues and have to change up their fitness routine?

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1564 on: October 17, 2016, 09:57:49 PM »
Redbird, yup. I hurt myself all the time, because I'm weirdly fragile and stubborn. Thanks to my dodgy spine, I can no longer do some of the olympic style lifts. I'd love to do the Stronglifts 5x5 program, but I tested it out and the deadlifts just aren't happening. One resource I've found interesting and helpful is Kelly Starrets Mobility WOD. I'm not a crossfitter (because I would die), but I like the mobility aspect of the cult.

Meerkat: check out this article, from T Nation. It breaks down the pull up into smaller prepreatory moves. I've taught a lot of women how to do pullups, and they find the shoulder stacking is really helpful in getting progression. https://www.t-nation.com/training/real-women-do-pull-ups

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1565 on: October 19, 2016, 08:53:41 AM »

That pretty much sums up how I've been feeling about running and working out in general this past week an a half. Hit all my workouts (both cardio and strength) but pretty much all of them were a trip on the struggle bus (except my bike ride, that was fabulous).  Today is a much needed rest day. Hopefully it resets my motivation too.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1566 on: October 19, 2016, 09:33:31 AM »

That pretty much sums up how I've been feeling about running and working out in general this past week an a half. Hit all my workouts (both cardio and strength) but pretty much all of them were a trip on the struggle bus (except my bike ride, that was fabulous).  Today is a much needed rest day. Hopefully it resets my motivation too.

Yes, but don't forget, he looks like this now:

It's worth it! You can do eeet.

Plus, he did it all sustainable-like for Guardians: http://people.com/bodies/chris-pratt-reveals-how-he-got-ripped-the-healthy-way-this-time/

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1567 on: October 20, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
Hit some of my goals before I went on vacation.

405 Squat, Actually got 425, 500 Deadlift, which puts me in the 1200lb Club, goal 3. Just have to get the Bench press and Overhead press up. Got 205 push press, but I want strict press. Bench was 295 before a week of drinking, not eating enough and bad sleep. We'll see how that stands tonight.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1568 on: October 20, 2016, 11:04:31 AM »
I'm 0.4 pounds away from meeting my first weight loss goal. I also tried running on the treadmill for the first time in a while and hoo boy did it show. I think I ended up running (jogging/walking/jogging) a mile overall, which was much shorter than what I had been thinking when I originally started. It makes sense since I haven't been focusing on cardio lately, though.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1569 on: October 20, 2016, 12:11:25 PM »
Have worked out for at least an hour (mix of lifting/cardio/HIIT/Barre) 18/20 days in October thus far. Feeling pretty good about that.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1570 on: October 21, 2016, 09:00:16 AM »
I'm posting following my last post because I feel like y'all might understand/have appropriate facepunches.

I've stopped running. Entirely.

It sucks because some of my goals for this year were running-related. But I'm just not enjoying running like I used to (I never enjoyed the act of running, but I enjoyed being alone with my thoughts while working hard and the concrete goals to work towards). It's raining and pouring and dark in Portland (I run outside), I just quit an epicly stressful political job, I'm starting my own business right now, and I'm really preferring taking fitness classes to running. Every time I have run, my body hasn't liked it, in small ways (knees or ankles.)

I know that some of us have seasons of life where we run, and some we don't. Should I try to make myself "pick back up" this most mustachian exercise type or should I just take a break, stay fit other ways, and come back to it in the spring?

I'm definitely not getting as much cardio without running - still riding my bike ~10-12 miles everyday just for errands, but that's barely cardio when it's start-and-stop city riding. Trying to make sure I mix up lifting with cardio, but I can already feel my lung capacity isn't as good as it was when I was running 10 miles/week. Considering starting to do stair running in my apartment building to help with the cardio.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1571 on: October 21, 2016, 10:28:14 AM »
I'm posting following my last post because I feel like y'all might understand/have appropriate facepunches.

I've stopped running. Entirely.

It sucks because some of my goals for this year were running-related. But I'm just not enjoying running like I used to (I never enjoyed the act of running, but I enjoyed being alone with my thoughts while working hard and the concrete goals to work towards). It's raining and pouring and dark in Portland (I run outside), I just quit an epicly stressful political job, I'm starting my own business right now, and I'm really preferring taking fitness classes to running. Every time I have run, my body hasn't liked it, in small ways (knees or ankles.)

I know that some of us have seasons of life where we run, and some we don't. Should I try to make myself "pick back up" this most mustachian exercise type or should I just take a break, stay fit other ways, and come back to it in the spring?

I'm definitely not getting as much cardio without running - still riding my bike ~10-12 miles everyday just for errands, but that's barely cardio when it's start-and-stop city riding. Trying to make sure I mix up lifting with cardio, but I can already feel my lung capacity isn't as good as it was when I was running 10 miles/week. Considering starting to do stair running in my apartment building to help with the cardio.

While I'm not saying running is unnecessary, by any means, if this anecdote helps... I haven't run as exercise for two years now (after doing so fairly regularly before). I am 100% powerlifting, with some sled pulls thrown in for conditioning. An interesting side effect of this has become apparent when riding my bike, in that my increased explosiveness makes the effort involved much lower. In other words, I can go farther and faster than before, with less effort, even if I'm a touch more out of breath at the end.

As for running specifically, I had to catch a train a couple months ago (missing it would have led to waiting around an hour) during rush hour in SF. An Uber literally would have taken longer than running the 3/4 mile to the station, so I ran. I was breathing quite heavily at the end, but somehow I managed a ~7 minute mile pace, maybe better (the run took about 6 minutes, including having to wait at multiple lights). While I'm not going to go win any marathons, I have to say I am pretty satisfied with that level of cardio fitness, especially since things like hiking are still trivial, regardless of distance or ruggedness. After all, I was struggling to break an 8 minute mile when I was a regular runner, although I could run for much longer periods without losing my breath.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1572 on: October 21, 2016, 10:30:06 AM »
MM, I think it's important to listen to your body and do what is working for you. Could you turn some of your bike riding into sprints for more cardio? I don't like running, I never have and I don't expect I ever will, so I'm not one to recommend it... YMMV.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1573 on: October 21, 2016, 10:42:46 AM »
Could you turn some of your bike riding into sprints for more cardio?
Eh, if you saw the type of bike I ride (think upright cargo bike beladen with heavy photography equipment) and the pace I go (think Sunday morning stroll) you'd see why sprints just aren't my thing. Biking for me is transportation not fitness, even when I do 65-100 mile rides, it's to get somewhere to camp or to have a nice day excursion. Also, in the city in the winter with only 1-4 miles between destinations, sprints just aren't really a thing- too many stop lights/signs/pedestrians/traffic.

Yea, I'm struggling with if this is my body vs my willpower. Part of the thing I'm realizing is that I was running as an alone-time mental health thing when I was working a hectic job that involved a lot of gladhanding and people time. Now that I'm working from home and mostly isolated in a 500sqft apartment all day, classes are nice because it's forced social time, even if it's not terribly social, I at least have to see other people.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1574 on: October 21, 2016, 10:58:10 AM »
Yea, I'm struggling with if this is my body vs my willpower. Part of the thing I'm realizing is that I was running as an alone-time mental health thing when I was working a hectic job that involved a lot of gladhanding and people time. Now that I'm working from home and mostly isolated in a 500sqft apartment all day, classes are nice because it's forced social time, even if it's not terribly social, I at least have to see other people.

That sounds like the important piece. Are there Orange Theories near you that are on classpass? I've heard of them and they are cardio oriented fitness classes, maybe that would fit your needs? Otherwise, I'd just let it go for now. Running is not mandatory for cardiovascular health.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1575 on: October 21, 2016, 11:01:41 AM »
That sounds like the important piece. Are there Orange Theories near you that are on classpass? I've heard of them and they are cardio oriented fitness classes, maybe that would fit your needs? Otherwise, I'd just let it go for now. Running is not mandatory for cardiovascular health.
There's an orange theory SO CLOSE to me, but they're not on classpass. I should force them to be.

There's quite a few cardio oriented classes on classpass, I should probably just make it a point to integrate more of those in while I'm in a running-hating stage.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1576 on: October 21, 2016, 11:35:07 AM »
Wow, it's been awhile since I updated.

Ran a 15K race with ~1500 feet of elevation change 2 weeks ago.

Finishing the last few workouts of the current powerlifting block, will be retesting my maxes in 7-10 days.

Recent highlights

270 4x4 on paused bench
475 5x2 on deadlift
360 6x4 on squats

Hope to hit

~330
~570
~440 respectively

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1577 on: October 21, 2016, 11:49:09 AM »
Fitness goals/progress have been lacking!

I went to a cool arm balance workshop on Wednesday and got my booty kicked. I can rock crow, side crow, headstand and hurdler's pose; I'm super close to having a forearm balance away from a wall but not quite.

New goals:
6,500 steps on weekdays trackable via FitBit. I spend 8 hours a day at work that I can't wear my FitBit so these are steps I must accomplish outside of work.
attend 3 yoga classes per week, this is critical for me as a teacher to maintain my own practice as I continue teaching students
weightlift 2 times per week, a previous major hobby of me that has totally fallen off my radar

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1578 on: October 29, 2016, 09:17:28 PM »
A question for the jogging pros!

I've been jogging for a couple of weeks and actually starting to liking it (100th time is the charm, I guess...) does anyone have advice on buying running shoes?

• Is there a hygiene issue with buying used running shoes?
  • Do I size up from what I'd wear in flats/heels to allow for socks?
  • It is prudent to buy a used pair on eBay for 1/4 of the store price, or should I go to a store and try lots on, at the risk of impulse-buying a $100+ pair?
  • Also, do people just hold their water bottles or is there some magical way to stay hydrated without having to clutch a way-too-cold water bottle while jogging?

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1579 on: October 30, 2016, 03:00:24 AM »

I've been jogging for a couple of weeks and actually starting to liking it (100th time is the charm, I guess...) does anyone have advice on buying running shoes?

• It is prudent to buy a used pair on eBay for 1/4 of the store price, or should I go to a store and try lots on, at the risk of impulse-buying a $100+ pair?
  • Also, do people just hold their water bottles or is there some magical way to stay hydrated without having to clutch a way-too-cold water bottle while jogging?

Don't buy used running shoes (unless they are of the "I bought these and they don't fit so I didn't wear them" variety). Once you start running in a pair of shoes you pretty much straight away get little indents in the inners and soles that are specific to individuals. Also hygiene.

Buy shoes that are comfortable in the socks you are going to run in. Shoes and socks are so so SO individual that you need to try them on, and from a reputable running store. You won't impulse buy a $100 pair, but you may find the shoes that fit you perfectly cost $100+. So be it. Consider it an investment in your health and fitness. Don't buy on the recommendation of someone else because your feet are yours, and no shoe fits you like it fits someone else.

Please don't use the skills and knowledge of a reputable running shoe store and then go and buy the same shoes cheaper online. I know this is MMM, but this one really gets my goat. The bricks and mortar store can't price-match someone with a warehouse and no idea, so you shouldn't expect them to. And if you want to continue to use their expertise you have to pay for it. Otherwise the next time you need advice they simply won't be there.

I am fortunate to live in a suburban area with lots of bike and walking paths that I run on, downside is lots of other people but upside is conveniently spaced water bubblers. So I can't help you with the drink bottle issue, sorry.

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1580 on: October 30, 2016, 06:52:51 PM »

I would look into how much hydration you need while running. Personally, I don't drink on anything on most runs (might have a drink at the 5km or 10km mark in long runs). That isn't to sound like I'm a hero who doesn't need water - most people over estimate how much water they need while running. A better plan is to hydrate well in the lead up to the run and afterwards.

I never carry my own water, and if I need some I plan my route to go past public drinking fountains.

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #1581 on: October 31, 2016, 02:35:49 PM »

Like what Primm said, do not buy used shoes as they will have already been broken in for the previous users feet and not yours.  This will cause discomfort at the least and could create injuries.  Check out your local running shops for shoes.  Most good ones anymore will do something called a gait analysis (that's what my local shop calls it) where they look at your biomechanics and provide you with options based upon this analysis. They will also help you with sizing.  Try some on and see if you can take them for a jog around the parking lot. If you find a pair that feels good and you like then go ahead and purchase them, otherwise you are just wasting the time of the store.

For water look for a fuel belt.  Most will have an elastic belt which will keep it from bouncing too much while you are running.  Something like this  https://amzn.com/B00O0UUV6Y

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
    • K Thnx Bye
    « Reply #1582 on: November 01, 2016, 06:44:53 AM »
    I retested 1 rep maxes this morning.

Exactly 3 months to the day into my powerlifting program.

Deep Squat - 455 x 1
    Paused Bench Press - 340 x 1
    Deadlift - 585 x 1

EXTREMELY happy with these lifts. This is +240lbs to my total since I initially tested on August 1st.

Bodyweight is currently 224 lbs @ 6'0" tall.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #1583 on: November 01, 2016, 10:13:18 AM »
    Great advice, Proud Foot, PDM, and Primm! (P^3!)

I'll definitely invest in some new shoes, and probably look into a water belt as I do tend to enjoy sipping water at least starting out when I'm still taking frequent walking breaks.

PDM

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #1584 on: November 01, 2016, 05:57:23 PM »
    Also check out the run bit of reddit:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/running/

Heaps of advice on there for beginners. Plenty of wankers too - but hey it is reddit. The Moronic Monday questions thread is always solid.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
    « Reply #1585 on: November 04, 2016, 08:43:05 AM »
    This is crosss-posted on my journal, but I thought you all could be helpful!

Classpass is moving from unlimited to 10 classes/month next year. I knew it was too good to last. I use Classpass between 20-25 classes/month so only 10 a month brings the marginal cost way up.

So now I need to figure out a new fitness solution. I have determined I enjoy paying a little bit for the gym as motivation to go, I don't like working out at home (really small space and both me and SSO work from home), and that I really enjoy group classes for at least part of my plan. I prefer to work out ~6 days/week. I don't want to just do yoga as my workout (as in a karma membership isn't enough.)

Options I have thought of:
    • Do a big "shop" of all the big box discount gyms - find one with free group classes, take a few. Should I do this before the New Year's rush? There are two within walking distance ($25-$40/month)
    • Join jazzercise. I like the community, it has a variety of workouts, and it's unlimited classes. It's currently 8 blocks from my house, will be about ~2 miles when I move in the new year ($59/month).
    • Join one of the high end fitness gyms at a limited rate, start running again. (spendypants - $75-$125)
    • Become an instructor or part-time employee at a high-end fitness gym. Hear me out! Flexible scheduling (easy to swap if I need to travel for work, or take a month or two off), get paid, free classes, and will get me out of the house. (I get $$)
    • Join the dance studio again - hard, will keep me in shape, but no weight lifting. 4 miles from new apartment. ($66/month if I pay 6 months up front)
    • Find a small fitness studio and offer to manage their website and database in exchange for a free membership.

brute

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #1586 on: November 05, 2016, 10:59:38 AM »
    So it looks like I probably won't be hitting the numbers I wanted. I've been gone lately, but I ended up tearing some muscles in my forearm when I had a strap break during an 800 pound rack pull. I'll see what I can still get done by the end of the year though.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
    « Reply #1587 on: November 07, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »
    My half yesterday went much better than expected based on recent running struggles and overall lower training mileage. I actually PR'd and met my goal stated earlier in this thread. I came in at 2:17.40.  Which is still plenty slow, but it's fast for me!

I'm going to take it pretty easy this week and probably next. Both are going to be busy work weeks, including an out of town conference. I'll hit some slow, easy, short runs. If I miss a few, well, sometimes a break is good thing too.

PDM

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #1588 on: November 07, 2016, 06:11:54 PM »
    My half yesterday went much better than expected based on recent running struggles and overall lower training mileage. I actually PR'd and met my goal stated earlier in this thread. I came in at 2:17.40.  Which is still plenty slow, but it's fast for me!

Nice one! Congratulations on achieving your goal. Its always a good idea to take it easy and recover after a race. You've earned it.

flan

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #1589 on: November 08, 2016, 12:55:56 PM »
    This is crosss-posted on my journal, but I thought you all could be helpful!

Classpass is moving from unlimited to 10 classes/month next year. I knew it was too good to last. I use Classpass between 20-25 classes/month so only 10 a month brings the marginal cost way up.

So now I need to figure out a new fitness solution. I have determined I enjoy paying a little bit for the gym as motivation to go, I don't like working out at home (really small space and both me and SSO work from home), and that I really enjoy group classes for at least part of my plan. I prefer to work out ~6 days/week. I don't want to just do yoga as my workout (as in a karma membership isn't enough.)

Options I have thought of:
    • Do a big "shop" of all the big box discount gyms - find one with free group classes, take a few. Should I do this before the New Year's rush? There are two within walking distance ($25-$40/month)
    • Join jazzercise. I like the community, it has a variety of workouts, and it's unlimited classes. It's currently 8 blocks from my house, will be about ~2 miles when I move in the new year ($59/month).
    • Join one of the high end fitness gyms at a limited rate, start running again. (spendypants - $75-$125)
    • Become an instructor or part-time employee at a high-end fitness gym. Hear me out! Flexible scheduling (easy to swap if I need to travel for work, or take a month or two off), get paid, free classes, and will get me out of the house. (I get $$)
    • Join the dance studio again - hard, will keep me in shape, but no weight lifting. 4 miles from new apartment. ($66/month if I pay 6 months up front)
    • Find a small fitness studio and offer to manage their website and database in exchange for a free membership.

monstermonster - Knowing you, 4. and 6. seem right up your alley!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #1590 on: November 08, 2016, 12:57:33 PM »
    I'm happy to say that I actually reached one of my goals!
    • 1 set/10 push ups

I went from only being able to do 3 reps at the beginning of Sept to finally being able to do a full 10 this week :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #1591 on: November 08, 2016, 01:08:09 PM »
    I'm happy to say that I actually reached one of my goals!
    • 1 set/10 push ups

I went from only being able to do 3 reps at the beginning of Sept to finally being able to do a full 10 this week :)

That's awesome! I feel like 10 pushups in an incredible bench mark. Especially for women, since so many of us think we can't even do one!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #1592 on: November 08, 2016, 02:05:57 PM »
    Bummer, I just tried going for jog but felt discomfort/dull pain in my knees (which I had experienced once last week, but was hoping that was a fluke). A quick Googling says I may have runner's knees from going too hard too fast, and that I should work my quads better. I'll switch to lower-impact cardio for now, but would love any advice from anybody else who's ever suffered a similar phenomenon.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #1593 on: November 08, 2016, 02:16:04 PM »
    Bummer, I just tried going for jog but felt discomfort/dull pain in my knees (which I had experienced once last week, but was hoping that was a fluke). A quick Googling says I may have runner's knees from going too hard too fast, and that I should work my quads better. I'll switch to lower-impact cardio for now, but would love any advice from anybody else who's ever suffered a similar phenomenon.

I had this when I first started trail running more often. I had SirB watch my form, and it turned out I was collapsing my arches and turning my knees in- it felt more stable to me going uphill, but was ruining my knees. I switched my form and it cleared up right away.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
    « Reply #1594 on: November 09, 2016, 03:13:22 PM »

DH tends to get a touch of runners knee when his shoes start to wear out too. It's his tell-tale signal he has stretched that pair a little too long... Maybe check your shoes? Are they older and worn? Maybe the wrong shoes for how you run?

Bracken's advice is good about watching form, also just slow down. Both in building mileage and just running in general. Most newer runners run too fast. Not just too fast, too soon like you mentioned, but too fast in general. Not every run should be at the same pace and many runs should be slower than you probably think. I got faster (in races) when I slowed down in training (easy and long runs). Granted, I'm still slow, but that's just lack of natural ability. haha!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #1595 on: November 14, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »

DH tends to get a touch of runners knee when his shoes start to wear out too. It's his tell-tale signal he has stretched that pair a little too long... Maybe check your shoes? Are they older and worn? Maybe the wrong shoes for how you run?

Bracken's advice is good about watching form, also just slow down. Both in building mileage and just running in general. Most newer runners run too fast. Not just too fast, too soon like you mentioned, but too fast in general. Not every run should be at the same pace and many runs should be slower than you probably think. I got faster (in races) when I slowed down in training (easy and long runs). Granted, I'm still slow, but that's just lack of natural ability. haha!

Thanks for the great advice, BJ & hudsoncat!! I think you're right - it's almost certainly a combination of 1. pushing too hard too fast, 2. iffy form, and 3. unsupportive shoes.

I was just getting into jogging, so I didn't want to splurge on running shoes before testing out my commitment to the exercise. The shoes I was wearing aren't terribly worn, but they're not springy running shoes either. I think I'm definitely going to spring (get it? :D) for a pair of new jogging shoes that matches my biomechanics, and restart at a much slower pace. I've still got 3 months to train for the 5K.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #1596 on: November 14, 2016, 11:16:04 AM »

Ran in high school and college - and until recently was putting in 60 mile weeks.  Just about every serious runner has had this issue. Just Google runner's knee exercises and there are all sorts of easy at-home ones you can do.  Just make it a part of your routine a few times a week even after you feel better.  I've had a few bouts of this and got it cleared up in a month or so.  Definitely advisable to lower your mileage and not run hills until it feels better.

Icecreamarsenal

• Pencil Stache
    • Burnt
    « Reply #1597 on: December 01, 2016, 08:52:39 PM »
    Brazilian jiu jitsu is the most intense thing I've ever, ever done.  Two opponents going 100% in grappling.  I'm shredded up and haven't stepped on a scale in 4 months.  Veganism 89% of the time works well too.

TightFistedScot

• Stubble
    « Reply #1598 on: December 02, 2016, 10:57:48 AM »
    Wow, it's been awhile since I updated.

Ran a 15K race with ~1500 feet of elevation change 2 weeks ago.

Finishing the last few workouts of the current powerlifting block, will be retesting my maxes in 7-10 days.

Recent highlights

270 4x4 on paused bench
    475 5x2 on deadlift
    360 6x4 on squats

Hope to hit

~330
    ~570
    ~440 respectively

Nice numbers! What is your weight and how long have you been training?

I'm a former powerlifter. I still lift but my back is effed. I can still put up respectable numbers on bench, but not so much on squats or deads.

Former stats were 258 BP, 353 squat, 450 DL @ a BW of 156.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
    • K Thnx Bye
    « Reply #1599 on: December 02, 2016, 11:16:36 AM »

Nice numbers! What is your weight and how long have you been training?

I'm a former powerlifter. I still lift but my back is effed. I can still put up respectable numbers on bench, but not so much on squats or deads.

Former stats were 258 BP, 353 squat, 450 DL @ a BW of 156.

Pretty wild #'s you had there. Did you compete in the USAPL or another federation?

I'm no where near as strong going by wilks score (weight vs. lifts for the non powerlifters)

I'm currently sitting ~225lbs right now, will be cutting down to 205 for my first meet in March.

I'm finishing up a 6 week DUP training block right now and will be testing my maxes again in 2 weeks.

Expecting to hit a ~350-355 bp, 615-625 dl, and ~475-485 sq @ 220lbs