Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 349887 times)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1400 on: August 03, 2016, 09:43:02 AM »
All lifters could add some yoga into their lives to prevent injury too! ;)

I had a medical doctor teach anatomy as a portion of my yoga teacher training and he said, "yoga is awesome because you strengthen your muscles at the end range of motion. This is the point most injuries occur in people, so yoga is preventative medicine!"

And if you really don't want to do yoga take a look at ROMWOD.

jordanread

« Reply #1401 on: August 03, 2016, 12:12:44 PM »
Jordan I also recommend Becoming a Supple Leopard book, it's my go to for prehab/stretching/foam rolling/self massage therapy stuff. His videos on youtube are also good.

That book is on the resource post. I started reading it a couple times, but haven't made my way through it all the way yet. It's on the Kindle, but time...:)

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1402 on: August 03, 2016, 06:20:40 PM »
The half marathon is on this Sunday and I'm in the taper period. Mostly just mind games now and trying to convince myself I've done the hard work over the last 3-4 months and it is all going to go well.

To help in that convincing...since 1st May 2016 my running watch tells me:

Count:   54 Activities
 Distance:   420.95 km
 Time:   42:05:55 h:m:s
 Avg Speed:   10 km/h

Averaged 4 runs a week; 2 easy, 1 interval and 1 long. Longest run was 19.5km. Physically I'm feeling ok, doing a bit of yoga and stretching in this final week of the plan.

Fingers crossed for Sunday.

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • My Travel Pics
« Reply #1403 on: August 04, 2016, 10:22:52 PM »
Jordan I also recommend Becoming a Supple Leopard book, it's my go to for prehab/stretching/foam rolling/self massage therapy stuff. His videos on youtube are also good.

That book is on the resource post. I started reading it a couple times, but haven't made my way through it all the way yet. It's on the Kindle, but time...:)

Warming up certainly is important (in the past anything dumb I've done was either a result of not warming up or poor form so I focus on both of those items more than anything else now).

Some other warm-up items I've used (typically a combination of these 2):

Qigong:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzD4svzG9js&index=1&list=PLpZC1Ppt02iGVJyQIJX05cz7nob5BFb0o

Nerd Fitness:
https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2012/01/09/warm-up/

Then increase weights slowly to actual working weights as noted earlier...here's a cool website that helps calculate warm up reps for some common weight training programs:
http://warmupreps.com/

I now do similar things (albeit simplified/less exact) with bodyweight exercises as well such as:
-2 sets of pushups on floor
-2 sets of elevated push ups
-3 sets of elevated ~70/30 push up (most effort done with 1 arm)

Proud Foot

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1404 on: August 05, 2016, 08:31:25 AM »
I had to go back to page 1 to remember what I put down so here's my update.

Workout 4x per week - doing this although sometimes its nothing more than pushups and planks

Run 500 miles - Way behind.  I have 15 miles so far so only 23 miles per week to reach my goal.

Maintain Weight, Lower BF - Haven't calculated BF but down 2lbs while chest, arms, and shoulders are bigger and stomach is smaller.  So I think I'm doing ok there.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1405 on: August 05, 2016, 08:46:31 AM »
The half marathon is on this Sunday and I'm in the taper period. Mostly just mind games now and trying to convince myself I've done the hard work over the last 3-4 months and it is all going to go well.

Averaged 4 runs a week; 2 easy, 1 interval and 1 long. Longest run was 19.5km. Physically I'm feeling ok, doing a bit of yoga and stretching in this final week of the plan.

Good luck PDM! Looks like pretty solid training. I've certainly run a half on less, once a lot less (wouldn't recommend it). :)

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1406 on: August 06, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »

Good luck PDM! Looks like pretty solid training. I've certainly run a half on less, once a lot less (wouldn't recommend it). :)

Finished in 1:41:30. Stoked with that. Felt fast and went with it.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1407 on: August 09, 2016, 11:59:18 AM »
Powerlifting Training Update

Holy shit, talk about intensity.

I finished the 3rd workout in my current training block. So many new things to learn and adapt to.

This might be the death of me -_-

jordanread

« Reply #1408 on: August 09, 2016, 12:14:11 PM »

Finished in 1:41:30. Stoked with that. Felt fast and went with it.

I've got two goals marked as complete. Way to go! Did you do a 5K yet?

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1409 on: August 10, 2016, 10:27:58 AM »
Sometimes it's sad to realize how environmental we are. Currently, we have a room that's basically empty except my yoga mat. For now it's the yoga room, although eventual plan is nursery. Keeping my yoga mat rolled out full time and a little encouragement from my husband? I've been doing yoga every day since moving. I'm even optimistic I'll do this on work days, since it can be pretty slow and gentle, and I just cut my commute by 45min each way.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1410 on: August 10, 2016, 11:14:26 AM »
Sometimes it's sad to realize how environmental we are. Currently, we have a room that's basically empty except my yoga mat. For now it's the yoga room, although eventual plan is nursery. Keeping my yoga mat rolled out full time and a little encouragement from my husband? I've been doing yoga every day since moving. I'm even optimistic I'll do this on work days, since it can be pretty slow and gentle, and I just cut my commute by 45min each way.

I love it! I totally have a mat rolled out in one room and I definitely visit it more when it's already set up.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1411 on: August 10, 2016, 01:47:33 PM »
To clarify on my goals post, FitRanx level 1 test contains the following:
* 45 degree suspension row x20, one minute rest
* Lying tricep extension from knees x15, one minute rest
* Overhead towel squat x 50 within 2 minutes, one minute rest
* Knee push ups x20, one minute rest
* Static bridge for two minutes, one minute rest
* Plank on toes for 90 seconds, one minute rest
* Kettlebell swing x60 within 2 minutes, 10kg weight, one minute rest
* Three sets of: 30 second mountain climbers/30 second jump rope/seal jacks/one minute rest

I went through it today for the first time since I tested this spring. The only part that's really killing me is the plank but I was able to maintain it for 25 seconds today - unlike the first time I did the test and I couldn't even hold it for a full second. I've still got a ways to go till I can do the full 90 seconds but it's nice seeing the progress. I'm going to try to up my work outs from 2 to 3 days a week and do the FitRanX routine above once a week since it's a good thorough workout. We'll see how that works out since kiddo has a weekly appointment coming up beginning end of this month. Oh, in other goal progress news, I'm down four pounds and finally cracking down on diet (nothing crazy, but cutting out juice in favor of water and avoiding the ice cream in the freezer because I'm tired of carrying around this extra "baby" weight).

Abel

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1412 on: August 10, 2016, 05:32:41 PM »
After a long hiatus from posting, I'm back!

Good news: continued progress! Looking back one year when I started strength training, I can now lift approximately 15-20% more in bench, deadlift, and squat during my 3x5 sets. Approximately 20-25% increases in 1RM strength for bench, deadlift, and squat. And I'm the same weight! And still just as fast! I think I might have lost some body fat, and I certainly look a little more dense I think, but otherwise it's nice to have gained strength without sacrificing functionality.

Recommended reading for all: Tactical Barbell. Really helped me plan and execute.

jordanread

« Reply #1413 on: August 10, 2016, 05:33:44 PM »
After a long hiatus from posting, I'm back!

Good news: continued progress! Looking back one year when I started strength training, I can now lift approximately 15-20% more in bench, deadlift, and squat during my 3x5 sets. Approximately 20-25% increases in 1RM strength for bench, deadlift, and squat. And I'm the same weight! And still just as fast! I think I might have lost some body fat, and I certainly look a little more dense I think, but otherwise it's nice to have gained strength without sacrificing functionality.

Recommended reading for all: Tactical Barbell. Really helped me plan and execute.
I'll add that to the resource post.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1414 on: August 11, 2016, 02:26:25 PM »
Just planned the route and put up the event posting for the free half-marathon I'm hosting (essentially a group run on bike/walking paths that ends at brunch and happens to be 13.1 miles). I needed an event to train for and I didn't want to spend $85, so I'm just making one!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1415 on: August 11, 2016, 02:29:29 PM »
Just planned the route and put up the event posting for the free half-marathon I'm hosting (essentially a group run on bike/walking paths that ends at brunch and happens to be 13.1 miles). I needed an event to train for and I didn't want to spend $85, so I'm just making one!

Awesome! I thought about doing something similar but was too lazy. Good on you for doing it, when's the date?

And you can put some of  that $85 towards Brunch!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1416 on: August 11, 2016, 02:35:31 PM »

Awesome! I thought about doing something similar but was too lazy. Good on you for doing it, when's the date?

October 29th! It's a costume run. I planned the route to run past a drop off box for ballots (our state has mail-in ballots) so that people can vote while they run, too ;)

That was my thought on the brunch idea - might as well splurge on food instead of administrative fees or for a shirt I'll never wear again.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1417 on: August 11, 2016, 02:39:05 PM »
I worked out today. Unusually for me, I really (really) fucking didn't want to, but I still did it. That is all.

jordanread

« Reply #1418 on: August 11, 2016, 02:48:49 PM »
I worked out today. Unusually for me, I really (really) fucking didn't want to, but I still did it. That is all.

Kickass!!

October 29th! It's a costume run. I planned the route to run past a drop off box for ballots (our state has mail-in ballots) so that people can vote while they run, too ;)

That was my thought on the brunch idea - might as well splurge on food instead of administrative fees or for a shirt I'll never wear again.

You do costumes for everything. I love it!!

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1419 on: August 11, 2016, 02:50:35 PM »

That sounds like tons of fun!! I've run a few races as Elvis, always a good time :)

Of course you would incorporate voting; voting, brunch, costumes, it's as if the race was made just for you (;

jordanread

« Reply #1420 on: August 11, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »

That sounds like tons of fun!! I've run a few races as Elvis, always a good time :)

Of course you would incorporate voting; voting, brunch, costumes, it's as if the race was made just for you (;

All those races are for us. At least those of us in the country.

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1421 on: August 13, 2016, 07:05:20 PM »
It's been a while since I posted, but I've achieved one of my goals.  I'm up to 195lbs from 170 when I started, and have been getting a number of compliments from people I run into who haven't seen me in a while.  Next goal is 210!  I realize only now that with my 6'1" frame, 195 isn't as big as I'm aiming for.

My deadlifts are going great, and I'm really enjoying the 10x3 (sets/reps) high volume workouts.  I've started doing bodyweight dips again too, as the tension in my sternum is slowly going away.  This time I won't be so quick to add weight, probably 5lbs every 2 weeks. 

My chin ups are pretty stagnant at 6-7 reps with solid form at bodyweight, but I figure as I'm increasing weight it's naturally going to be difficult adding weight to them.

Hope everyone's summer is going well and you all are making solid progress!

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1422 on: August 13, 2016, 09:26:14 PM »
I survived a sprint triathlon today!   Since I've lost weight, I can apparently run again! Yay! :D

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1423 on: August 13, 2016, 09:36:22 PM »
My posterior chain is miserably sore. All because of a Tabata class instructed by the devil. A tight little devil, in tight little shorts. Take some lust hormones, mix in a pathetic desire to avoid looking weak, and you end up with some wicked lactic acid.

I can't even really sit. I just aim towards the chair, make a little whimper, and wish the folding didn't hurt so bad.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1424 on: August 15, 2016, 12:57:16 PM »

This sounds super fun!

I survived a sprint triathlon today!   Since I've lost weight, I can apparently run again! Yay! :D

Great job!

I know there aren't a ton of cardio people on here, but I came across a resource I wanted to share. I've been having some right calf pain and knee pain off and on for a while now. Nothing terrible, but something that always feels like it could be terrible if I push a little too hard. A couple months ago I ran into a college buddy who happens to be a PT now, we were comparing running stories and I ended up mentioning my calf/knee issue. After a few questions and having me do some random things, he suggested (well, first that I see my Dr or a PT to get a real diagnosis) that I look into the Myrtl routine. It strengthens your "hip girdle" area which helps with a host of leg issues that might have their root cause in your hips. I've been doing it after every run for a while now for a couple of months. Overall my legs have felt better than they have in a while. Here is the .Pdf: http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

There is also a YouTube video if you google it. Might be a help for other cardio folks looking for more strength and range of motion in your hips. It doesn't take long and seems to be helping me. A lot of little twinges and minor pains have gone away the longer I've been doing it. No calf or knee pain in the last month.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1425 on: August 15, 2016, 01:11:18 PM »
Cycled my longest training ride of the year on Sunday!

20 miles @ 16.8 mph

Powerlifting training has been going really well. It's very taxing and I am trying to get used to hitting so many different compound movements on the same day.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1426 on: August 15, 2016, 01:18:37 PM »

20 miles @ 16.8 mph

Powerlifting training has been going really well. It's very taxing and I am trying to get used to hitting so many different compound movements on the same day.

Interesting side note on powerlifting vs. cycling. I took a ride for the first time in probably 2-3 years the other day* and while I could be misremembering how it used to feel, I swear I had oodles more power and was going way faster than I used to be able to maintain. I suppose it's only logical with all of the leg strength powerlifting builds, but it's always an interesting and gratifying experience to realize how cross-functional that strength can be. My conditioning, on the other hand...

*I know, heresy on this board! Although in my defense, I do walk to many places, including the grocery store
« Last Edit: August 15, 2016, 04:59:58 PM by Lagom »

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1427 on: August 15, 2016, 04:53:27 PM »

20 miles @ 16.8 mph

Interesting side note on powerlifting vs. cycling. I took a ride for the first time in probably 2-3 years the other day* and while I could be misremembering how it used to feel, I swear I had oodles more power and was going way faster that I used to be able to maintain. I suppose it's only logical with all of the leg strength powerlifting builds, but it's always an interesting and gratifying experience to realize how cross-functional that strength can be. My conditioning, on the other hand...

*I know, heresy on this board! Although in my defense, I do walk to many places, including the grocery store

Strength training is definitely beneficial for cycling muscles.

Have you seen this? Pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHvu_hC9rg

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1428 on: August 15, 2016, 05:10:58 PM »

Strength training is definitely beneficial for cycling muscles.

Have you seen this? Pretty impressive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJHvu_hC9rg

I had not seen it. Pretty good! Even crazier, check this out. It's long, but holy shit is the cyclist a beast:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VO7VMmSHCo

It also says in the video his max squat is 605 at ~210 bodyweight :O

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1429 on: August 15, 2016, 05:28:56 PM »
That's nuts! Bet it was close to the longest 5 minutes of their lives.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1430 on: August 15, 2016, 05:40:43 PM »
Seriously. As many of my powerlifting buddies say half-jokingly, anything over 5 reps is cardio! Granted, these are pretty strong guys and they're only squatting their body weight, but doing that many reps in 5 minutes has still gotta burn like hell.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1431 on: August 16, 2016, 06:52:57 AM »
My wife teaches spin classes 3-4 days a week and it's helped her a ton overall. Her legs have always been pretty beastly though. She squatted 225x6 last week and she's 120 lbs.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1432 on: August 16, 2016, 07:24:53 AM »
My wife teaches spin classes 3-4 days a week and it's helped her a ton overall. Her legs have always been pretty beastly though. She squatted 225x6 last week and she's 120 lbs.

almost 2X BW for 6 reps is pretty damn insane man.

That would be like me squatting 405x6, that's more than my current 1RM lol

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1433 on: August 16, 2016, 08:02:35 AM »
Goals to start the year
1 set/1 squat 405lbs
1 set/1 deadlift 495lbs
1 set/1 bench press 275lbs

Current Status
1 set/1 squat 375lbs (30 lbs to go)
1 set/4 rep deadlift 455lbs (max unknown)
1 set/1 bench press 270lbs (5 lbs to go)

Overall pretty happy with things.  Have dealt with some minor hip tightness due to some loose squat form which has slowed me down there.  Additionally, I got too hyped up after a set of 455lb deads for 4 reps that I over-estimated my max for the subsequent training block and just missed a ton of reps.  Have been focusing a ton on bench while letting the lower body recover and things are going great there; should have an outside shot at a 290ish press by year end.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1434 on: August 16, 2016, 08:12:47 AM »
Goals to start the year
1 set/1 squat 405lbs
1 set/1 deadlift 495lbs

Current Status

Overall pretty happy with things.  Have dealt with some minor hip tightness due to some loose squat form which has slowed me down there.  Additionally, I got too hyped up after a set of 455lb deads for 4 reps that I over-estimated my max for the subsequent training block and just missed a ton of reps.  Have been focusing a ton on bench while letting the lower body recover and things are going great there; should have an outside shot at a 290ish press by year end.

Come to Philly on December 17th and hit a powerlifting meet with me!

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1435 on: August 16, 2016, 08:42:58 AM »
I'm having a personal thing, and it's been amazing for my rage levels. I went to the gym on Sunday, and I ran on Monday. Absolutely crushed it.

JR, will you please mark my goal off as complete? My new goal is to hit the max reps on level 1 of Convict Conditioning. This will probably bleed into 2017. 

jordanread

« Reply #1436 on: August 16, 2016, 09:03:30 AM »
I'm having a personal thing, and it's been amazing for my rage levels. I went to the gym on Sunday, and I ran on Monday. Absolutely crushed it.

JR, will you please mark my goal off as complete? My new goal is to hit the max reps on level 1 of Convict Conditioning. This will probably bleed into 2017.

Kicking ass SS! Glad that S&F is providing a nice output for your rage. I'll comment more on the personal stuff in your journal, once I figure out the words. Where are you currently with the Big 6?

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1437 on: August 16, 2016, 09:31:18 AM »

Kicking ass SS! Glad that S&F is providing a nice output for your rage. I'll comment more on the personal stuff in your journal, once I figure out the words. Where are you currently with the Big 6?

3x20 on all the exercises.

jordanread

« Reply #1438 on: August 16, 2016, 10:07:12 AM »

3x20 on all the exercises.

Very cool. That particular goal may not bleed over as you continue kicking so much ass.

Kerowyn

• Magnum Stache
  • very "fuss" oriented
« Reply #1439 on: August 16, 2016, 12:57:45 PM »
I know there aren't a ton of cardio people on here, but I came across a resource I wanted to share. I've been having some right calf pain and knee pain off and on for a while now. Nothing terrible, but something that always feels like it could be terrible if I push a little too hard. A couple months ago I ran into a college buddy who happens to be a PT now, we were comparing running stories and I ended up mentioning my calf/knee issue. After a few questions and having me do some random things, he suggested (well, first that I see my Dr or a PT to get a real diagnosis) that I look into the Myrtl routine. It strengthens your "hip girdle" area which helps with a host of leg issues that might have their root cause in your hips. I've been doing it after every run for a while now for a couple of months. Overall my legs have felt better than they have in a while. Here is the .Pdf: http://www.njsportsmed.com/files/myrtl_routine.pdf

There is also a YouTube video if you google it. Might be a help for other cardio folks looking for more strength and range of motion in your hips. It doesn't take long and seems to be helping me. A lot of little twinges and minor pains have gone away the longer I've been doing it. No calf or knee pain in the last month.

That looks really useful for me and my hips problem--thanks for sharing!

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1440 on: August 16, 2016, 01:37:04 PM »
12 mi hike, tagged two peaks, 5,500 ft of elevation gain.  5 hrs 15 minutes.  Includes two short food breaks atop the peaks.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1441 on: August 17, 2016, 07:04:01 PM »

almost 2X BW for 6 reps is pretty damn insane man.

That would be like me squatting 405x6, that's more than my current 1RM lol

Yep, she squats more than me lb for lb. I'm 195 right now and did 345x6 a few weeks back.

I have her beat on decline bench at least. Today she did 75x14 and I did 275x12 lol.

She usually turns some heads when she squats, and I'm always proud as can be. When she started lifting with me 3 years ago she was doing reps at like 95 or so.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1442 on: August 18, 2016, 03:59:43 PM »
Okay, I was sick last weekend and this week is crazy at work, so I'm pretty low on workouts this week. Committing that despite traveling to run a conference for work all weekend, I will still:
1) Morning Barre3 class @ 6AM friday, Stretching Friday night after 2 hour drive
2) Morning run of 3 miles before conference on Saturday
3) Morning run of 3 miles before conference Sunday

Thanks for being my accountability!

Frugal_NYC

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1443 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:06 AM »
Goals to start the year
1 set/1 squat 405lbs
1 set/1 deadlift 495lbs

Current Status

Come to Philly on December 17th and hit a powerlifting meet with me!

It's definitely on the bucket list, where in NYC are you and where do you lift?  I'm on the UES and go to NYSC

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1444 on: August 22, 2016, 11:59:41 AM »
I hit the weight room last night, and then this morning did one of my favorite 'chore cardio' things: Lawnmower Cardio. This consists of the following routine:

1. Have a lawnmower that requires some effort, whether reel, heavy gas, heavier electric, etc.

2. Mow that lawn like you MEAN IT. That is to say, FAST.

3. If you're not breathing hard at the end, you're doing it wrong.

Treating mowing a reasonable-size lawn with a push mower like the cardio exercise it is - and then raising the intensity by deliberately going fast - is a very rewarding experience: you get a good cardio workout of a somewhat unusual type, and your lawn is mowed!

jordanread

« Reply #1445 on: August 22, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »
I hit the weight room last night, and then this morning did one of my favorite 'chore cardio' things: Lawnmower Cardio. This consists of the following routine:

1. Have a lawnmower that requires some effort, whether reel, heavy gas, heavier electric, etc.

Treating mowing a reasonable-size lawn with a push mower like the cardio exercise it is - and then raising the intensity by deliberately going fast - is a very rewarding experience: you get a good cardio workout of a somewhat unusual type, and your lawn is mowed!

Bracken_Joy should totally read this part!!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1446 on: August 22, 2016, 12:01:46 PM »

1) Morning Barre3 class @ 6AM friday, Stretching Friday night after 2 hour drive Done!
2) Morning run of 3 miles before conference on Saturday  Done!
3) Morning run of 3 miles before conference Sunday   Done!

jordanread

« Reply #1447 on: August 22, 2016, 12:13:37 PM »

1) Morning Barre3 class @ 6AM friday, Stretching Friday night after 2 hour drive Done!
2) Morning run of 3 miles before conference on Saturday  Done!
3) Morning run of 3 miles before conference Sunday   Done!

Holy shit! You can run 3 miles? Like in a row? Without stopping? You are a monster!!!

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1448 on: August 22, 2016, 12:30:41 PM »
Holy shit! You can run 3 miles? Like in a row? Without stopping? You are a monster!!!
Lol! I can run a LOT more than that! 15 miles is my personal maximum I'll let myself run (for knee reasons).  ;-)

If only I can find the time with my crazypants job to run more that ...

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1449 on: August 22, 2016, 04:47:14 PM »

Bracken_Joy should totally read this part!!

Ha! I love it. Yet another reason my choice of reel mower was totally badass ;) And maybe will slightly redeem the check-in I'm about to do:

This month has, by and large, sucked for fitness. Well, for lifting at any rate- fitness in general is debatable. I just completed my THIRD weight lifting day for all of August. Seriously. With moving, stepping back up to full time for work, and my coach (DH) working so much more, it just hasn't been happening.

Things that make this slightly better: I have been doing a LOT of the "chore cardio". Steam cleaning the whole house (hallways twice), mopping everything, deep scrubbing both bathrooms including the grout, scrubbing the baseboards, and not to mention the actual moving of heavy things. Also, there is a "yoga room" in our house where I leave my mat out all the time, so most days I've hopped on for a couple basic sun salutations to keep things moving.

Things that make this worse: I have no idea how or if this will improve. I have good motivation to sort it out quick though: our timeline for starting to try for a family is fast approaching. While I have no intention of scaling heavily back on fitness during pregnancy (assuming it's medically uncomplicated), you're also not supposed to *expand* your routine during that time either. So whatever I've got headed into it all is what I've got to work with pretty much!

Anyone on here (or your partner) stay active throughout a pregnancy? I'm reading "The Pregnant Athlete", but personal experiences are always appreciated.