Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 350192 times)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1300 on: July 08, 2016, 10:51:10 AM »
Okay, so I guess I will keep posting after all. I'm quite self-centered so obviously I just assumed that folks were all mad at JUST ME ONLY and that I'd said the WRONGEST THINGS EVER and stuff. :D

So, add muscle lose fat will not happen at the same rate unless you're losing fat really slowly.

Yep, in fact the reason my goal above was specifically stated as 'convert 10% body fat into muscle' is that I'm trying to pace myself to go pretty slowly. Ideally my scale weight should stay about the same until that goal has been reached; the only thing changing should be my BF%.

EDIT @ Sailor Sam - even at my fittest I could gain muscle and lose fat at the same time, just not gaining muscle as fast as you can when bulking or losing fat as fast as you can when cutting. I'm not looking to appear on stage any time soon (i.e. ever) so just keeping my nutrition and exercise relatively consistent all year is what works best for me. I don't like bulking and I REALLY loathe aggressive cutting. YMMV of course!

I am very performance oriented and not really into body building-style training (other than I do enjoy getting bigger, along with stronger), but I agree that it's possible to gain muscle while losing fat, and also that it's pretty much impossible to do it as quickly as if you don't mind adding some dead weight in the bulking process. I am waaaayyy too lazy to track nutrition, etc., but my transition from pretty lanky to relatively muscular (I'm told, although I still have body image issues over it), has mostly followed a pattern of eating like a horse until I get to a target weight, with up to 50% of the gains being fat, then cutting back a bit (mostly just not eating until I feel sick, but otherwise not paying attention) and more or less maintaining that weight as the fat slowly is burned off/more muscle is gained.

I've only done this once so far, netting about 15lbs of lean mass in just over a year. Doubt I'll repeat that this year as those were noob gains. I'm currently back at the slightly chubby end of things, another 15lbs up, and debating when I want to scale back the eating. I think this process worked fairly well, even without being crazy about tracking everything. I'm sure I could be more optimal, but since I am not concerned about things like swimsuit season, competing, etc., this has been a good approach for me.

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1301 on: July 08, 2016, 11:53:40 AM »
lhamo
  • Daily Activity/Training >= 68%/year (250 days)
  • >= 15,000 minutes of physical activity/training
  • >= 100,000 calories burned
  • Run 5K <= 30:00
  • Complete 10K
  • >= 5 hikes > 5 miles each
  • Add 2 weekly strength training routines
  • >= 1/month new low carb dish/recipe

I haven't posted an update for a long time because I thought that i had gotten really off track with my goals during my trip to China (when I did a ton of running around dealing with administrative stuff, but very little focused exercise.  However, I just got up the courage to enter my exercise log in my spreadsheet and am pleased to report some real progress!  As of 7/7, my annual totals so far include:

8952   minutes in motion(59.68% of annual goal)
481.92 miles covered   
76100 estimated calories burned (76.1% of annual goal)
114 individual sessions of exercise (45.65% of annual goal)

I have also already completed my target of 5 walks or hikes of greater than 5 miles. 

I am a bit behind on individual exercise sessions, but can get back on track by adding daily walks around the neighborhood to supplement gym workouts.  I also haven't done anything with weight training or additional low carb recipes -- will work on that while in China this summer (DH has been wanting to work with me on weight routines anyway).

Glad I had the guts to tally things up and get back on here.  Now I need to get my butt to the gym....

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1302 on: July 08, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
You can gain muscle and lose fat until you start reaching your genetic potential. After a certain point it's no longer really possible.

The top bodybuilders in the world, with their gallons of steroids, growth hormone, and insulin, can't even retain all their muscle when they drop fat, let alone add more. They are also at their genetic max pretty much, with the steroids.

The generally agreed fastest way is to bulk hard gaining muscle and fat, then slowly drop the fat, repeat. The other alternative is to slowly build muscle, and add minimal fat. As mentioned - after a certain level, people adding muscle and losing fat is pretty much off the table. I would venture a guess that few people on this forum (or in general) have reached that point.

What's funny is at the gym I've been getting comments from people I've never really talked to that I look "way bigger" even though I'm down about 35 lbs this year. I guarantee I had more muscle at 220 than I do now at 185-190. However now I'm probably 7-8% BF vs the 12-14% I was at. My skin looks paper thin, muscles far more defined, and way more vascular. It only gives the "appearance" that I look bigger. It's been very interesting for me as someone who has always ate like a horse to be at 220ish.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1303 on: July 08, 2016, 12:26:45 PM »
As others have pointed out, while it is possible to gain lean mass and burn adipose simultaneously it is much easier for untrained or undertrained individuals, especially in the first 6-24 months of training and proper nutrition.

Once you get past those "golden gains" it becomes much more difficult.

I've been on both ends of the spectrum, and the human body is a fascinating thing......often bending the "rules" of science/logic.

Adding lean body mass is not the same as adding muscle tissue. You can increase carb sensitivity and increase LBM through improved muscle fullness/saturation, without actually growing/increasing the number of muscle fibers.

Same goes for losing LBM, it's very easy to look flat/lose lean body mass without actually losing muscle tissue. Just stop lifting for a week and become very dehydrated and you will see what I mean.

Interesting conversation folks, this was a huge interest of mine for nearly a decade, both as an athlete and coach.

jordanread

« Reply #1304 on: July 08, 2016, 01:06:52 PM »
[...]
I have also already completed my target of 5 walks or hikes of greater than 5 miles. 

I am a bit behind on individual exercise sessions, but can get back on track by adding daily walks around the neighborhood to supplement gym workouts.  I also haven't done anything with weight training or additional low carb recipes -- will work on that while in China this summer (DH has been wanting to work with me on weight routines anyway).

Glad I had the guts to tally things up and get back on here.  Now I need to get my butt to the gym....

Kicking ass on the progress lhamo!! I've got the one goal crossed off. And as of today, we are 52.05% of the way through the year. Did you wind up scheduling a 5K yet, or you just going to time yourself in a solo run? Also, how many new meals have you done total this year? You said you haven't done anything with them, does that mean you've been sticking to repeats?

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1305 on: July 08, 2016, 04:11:02 PM »
[...]

Kicking ass on the progress lhamo!! I've got the one goal crossed off. And as of today, we are 52.05% of the way through the year. Did you wind up scheduling a 5K yet, or you just going to time yourself in a solo run? Also, how many new meals have you done total this year? You said you haven't done anything with them, does that mean you've been sticking to repeats?

For both the 5k and 10k goals my plan was to just run on the treadmill -- I don't do so well with running outside, somehow.

I've tried a total of one new recipe this year, and it wasn't low carb (Sichuan beef noodles -- it was sure yummy, though!).  All my other cooking has been old standards.  I'll try to get it in gear a bit this summer, and then after the kids and I are back in August.  The old recipes are getting a bit tired at this point, anyway, so need to mix it up a bit.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1306 on: July 10, 2016, 02:53:16 PM »
My husband came up with a very wicked arms day for me. A- I will be very sore tomorrow B- you can visually distinguish my triceps! Miracle. I have very small arms, and even though I'm pretty lean, they just aren't defined. So this is exciting for me.
Related downside: Dress problems. I already had to move last year to only sleeveless dresses, because my shoulders are too broad relative to my size otherwise. But just yesterday I wore my favorite dress, and my arms started to go a bit numb after a couple hours =( The arm holes are just too tight on my arms now. At least I have a couple dresses that are stretchy fabric... and thankfully my scrubs all still fit!

Also cool: met someone through my local Buy Nothing Project who wanted to see people's home gyms for ideas. He came over and took a look at our set up. DH especially had fun NerdBroing out with him about the details... they're both engineers. Yet another reason I'm sad we're moving next month. DH's collection of NerdBros is growing, and now we are moving. Hope we find plenty of NerdBros in our new area!

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1307 on: July 10, 2016, 03:02:07 PM »
My husband came up with a very wicked arms day for me. A- I will be very sore tomorrow B- you can visually distinguish my triceps! Miracle. I have very small arms, and even though I'm pretty lean, they just aren't defined. So this is exciting for me.
Related downside: Dress problems. I already had to move last year to only sleeveless dresses, because my shoulders are too broad relative to my size otherwise. But just yesterday I wore my favorite dress, and my arms started to go a bit numb after a couple hours =( The arm holes are just too tight on my arms now. At least I have a couple dresses that are stretchy fabric... and thankfully my scrubs all still fit!

Also cool: met someone through my local Buy Nothing Project who wanted to see people's home gyms for ideas. He came over and took a look at our set up. DH especially had fun NerdBroing out with him about the details... they're both engineers. Yet another reason I'm sad we're moving next month. DH's collection of NerdBros is growing, and now we are moving. Hope we find plenty of NerdBros in our new area!

Argh, fucking sleeves! I have the same problem with uniform blouses. My shoulder's aren't properly in the shoulder part, where the yoke seam meets the sleeve seam. Plus the arms themselves are uncomfortably tight.

I have to get everything above the least-fancy uniform tailored. Which makes me look astoundingly sexy, of course. Still, it's a pain.

I should probably go to the gym today. It's a scheduled day. But the fucks, they don't seem to exist.

ETA: I went to the gym. 2x25, then 1x9 for each exercise in Convict Conditioning. The shoulderstand squats are making something in my thoracic spine mighty unhappy. I may drop them, in favour of doing the jacknife squats. I know there's wisdom in being faithful to my beginner status, but there's no wisdom in blowing out a spinal disc.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 10:43:30 PM by Sailor Sam »

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1308 on: July 10, 2016, 05:43:21 PM »

Argh, fucking sleeves! I have the same problem with uniform blouses. My shoulder's aren't properly in the shoulder part, where the yoke seam meets the sleeve seam. Plus the arms themselves are uncomfortably tight.

I have to get everything above the least-fancy uniform tailored. Which makes me look astoundingly sexy, of course. Still, it's a pain.

I should probably go to the gym today. It's a scheduled day. But the fucks, they don't seem to exist.

I cannot wear button down shirts or most blouses because the fabric is not stretchy enough to fit my shoulders or they look terrible because I have massive shoulders to a small waist and large hips ratio thing going.

I am facing the conundrum of wanting to go full tilt into the pull-up focused stage of new rules of lifting for women, but also just had the fitting for alterations of the bridesmaid dress for a wedding happening in a month. Not *tons* of time, but the fit is close enough that I don't want to gain muscle or fat there.
I"m thinking stepping back the weights for the workouts and doing some more interval training/intense cardio of some kind. Any suggestions?

lhamo

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1309 on: July 12, 2016, 02:41:24 AM »
I burn the most calories by doing incline walks . Ramp it up to 15% slope on the treadmill and you can blast through 700+ calories in an hour. 

Managed to walk 4 miles to the police station and back. It rained a bit today so wasn't overly hot.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1310 on: July 12, 2016, 07:15:52 AM »
Lifting updates from the past few sessions.

BW = 215lbs
BB Bench - 275 x 5, 5, 5
BB Dead -  405 x 5, 5, 5
BB Squat - 315 x 5, 5, 5

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1311 on: July 12, 2016, 12:49:52 PM »

I cannot wear button down shirts or most blouses because the fabric is not stretchy enough to fit my shoulders or they look terrible because I have massive shoulders to a small waist and large hips ratio thing going.

I am facing the conundrum of wanting to go full tilt into the pull-up focused stage of new rules of lifting for women, but also just had the fitting for alterations of the bridesmaid dress for a wedding happening in a month. Not *tons* of time, but the fit is close enough that I don't want to gain muscle or fat there.
I"m thinking stepping back the weights for the workouts and doing some more interval training/intense cardio of some kind. Any suggestions?

Odds are very little will change in a month- I would eat at maintenance and keep on keeping on. You'll be fine- and unless the dress has a very restrictive shoulder thing going on (many are off the shoulder/halter) with like a chiffon- you're probably totally fine. :)

Congrats on the shoulders arms/shirt problem.

I have a hard time with certain shirts- but I'm really annoyed my shoulders are not bigger- NEEDS BIGGER!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1312 on: July 12, 2016, 12:52:36 PM »
I apologize for not touching base more.
I've been struggling with a lot of things. Work's been kicking my ass all day.

Today's motto was "you will not cry at your desk- and you will not go to your car to cry" so here I sit. repeating Fide Nemini to myself.

But in good news. On the "keep being fabulous front"
the gains- they are happening- I'm up from 245 to 265 in the squat department. Solid work and solid results. I am pleased. Could have a 1/2" more depth- but compared to the really 2" to short 260 squat- this is a brilliant squat for me. I'm proud of this.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BHvUzb7AQMl/

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1313 on: July 12, 2016, 02:59:37 PM »
the gains- they are happening- I'm up from 245 to 265 in the squat department. Solid work and solid results. I am pleased. Could have a 1/2" more depth- but compared to the really 2" to short 260 squat- this is a brilliant squat for me. I'm proud of this.

Nice form! I hear you about depth. I've always been a natural squatter (relative to other movements, not in absolute terms!) and in flexibility terms I'm physically capable of going pretty much all the way butt-to-ground... but we just don't have the long-term data on cartilage and meniscus health to know whether or not that's okay done regularly with weight. As opposed to the argued-over conflicting studies on ligaments etc. which are a whole different thing :) So as long as I'm going a touch below parallel, I don't worry about it. I figure there are more important training goals than squatting as deep as possible, at least for me. (EDIT: I know you don't have to go that low powerlifting... just sayin' :) )

Also, seconding lhamo's comment about uphill walking. One of the reasons I love to hike so much is that slogging on those uphill grades is just an absolute killer cardio exercise, plus bonus Nature and stuff! Of course, when you hike on real hills, you then must also come downhill. But "hike up, run or jog down" works for that for me.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 06:15:43 PM by SoccerLounge »

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1314 on: July 12, 2016, 05:59:32 PM »

Today's motto was "you will not cry at your desk- and you will not go to your car to cry" so here I sit. repeating Fide Nemini to myself.

Nice work on the squat. Honestly, you probably would have gotten 2 whites for that. Only a picky side judge would call that most of the time. Fantastic effort on staying tight and not dropping forward. Hope work starts going better soon.

So, news flash. I'm still fat. I was supposed to eat better last week but completely failed. The good news is most of my meals were cooked at home, the bad news is I got a stand mixer amongst the wedding presents, so I made a ton of bread. Not great for losing weight, but I will say it was the best pizza I've made to date. I have quit drinking for the rest of the month, and probably next month. I think I'm going to take a run at state championships in illinois this fall for strongman, but I need to come in lighter and faster this year.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1315 on: July 12, 2016, 07:37:08 PM »

I'm impressed.

Was the guy behind you acting as a spotter, or to help you power up if you got caught in the hole? Just curious. Having someone stand that close behind me would freak me out, and distract me from the lift. And the safety bars have rescued me frequently enough that I trust them to catch the weight.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1316 on: July 13, 2016, 08:47:18 AM »
Checking in. Finally got into the gym yesterday for the first time in weeks (vacation plus all the before/after details ate up all my spare time and the gym is usually the first thing I cut when I need more hours in a day). I made myself work until muscle failure instead of slacking and I'm actually a little sore today, which is nice. I was also able to do four hanging knee raises, which makes me happy. I almost did five before vacation. I need to buckle down if I'm ever going to actually try taking the Fit Ranx test again like I said I was going to.

Non-gym fitness - now that I've had my FitBit for a while it's become obvious that I've done a lot more walking on the weekends than I realized and I'm also doing more because of my FitBit (I haven't got the 10k steps in a day badge and I want it. I almost had it Saturday but didn't event realize it!). The dog is certainly seeing the benefits of it. That reminds me, I should walk around my building real quick to do the 250 steps in an hour thing.

I don't comment much in response to the ongoing conversation but I enjoy reading along. :)

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1317 on: July 13, 2016, 09:10:08 AM »
Checking in because I failed to work out this morning and I don't think I'll be able to tonight after work. I've been consistently working out 6 days/week for the past 7 months and failing to make time on a Wednesday morning sucks. Really screws up my rhythm.

Hopefully I'll be able to make it up this weekend, but it's still a bummer. Can't complain about it at work because it sounds like #humblebragging but I figured y'all would understand.

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1318 on: July 13, 2016, 06:51:44 PM »
Update! Still on track. In fact, I achieved a hiking PR today: completing two connected trails, comprising significant elevation gain in short distances, in one go non-stop. I've done these trails a lot of times but never without stopping; there are a few nasty combination grade changes that tend to take the wind out of the sails of most hikers, and pausing briefly is common. I didn't pause at all. I have a feeling my calves are going to let me know all about this in a day or two, though...

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #1319 on: July 14, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »
So, I finally ran a sub 13:00 2 mile on a record APFT, so that is one goal down.

I have gained about 10 pounds so far this year, and have seen fairly steady gains in the lifting department. I am currently staying at about 180 on my squat, and 205 on the deadlift. I seemed to have plateaued. Pull ups are at about 10 until muscle failure. I am still maxing the pushup and sit up events on the APFT, so no change there.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1320 on: July 14, 2016, 09:57:16 PM »
Big victory at casa Samuel! I went to a Tabata class at the gym, the instructor called for curtsey squats, which I don't do very frequently. The move was a lot easier than it was a month ago, and I could feel I could feel that I've gained strength in my abs, glutes, and quads. It was a really nice moment of validation.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1321 on: July 15, 2016, 06:46:32 AM »

Nice form! I hear you about depth. I've always been a natural squatter (relative to other movements, not in absolute terms!) and in flexibility terms I'm physically capable of going pretty much all the way butt-to-ground... but we just don't have the long-term data on cartilage and meniscus health to know whether or not that's okay done regularly with weight. As opposed to the argued-over conflicting studies on ligaments etc. which are a whole different thing :) So as long as I'm going a touch below parallel, I don't worry about it. I figure there are more important training goals than squatting as deep as possible, at least for me. (EDIT: I know you don't have to go that low powerlifting... just sayin' :) )

Also, seconding lhamo's comment about uphill walking. One of the reasons I love to hike so much is that slogging on those uphill grades is just an absolute killer cardio exercise, plus bonus Nature and stuff! Of course, when you hike on real hills, you then must also come downhill. But "hike up, run or jog down" works for that for me.

I had a REALLY interesting conversation with one of the guys at my gym regarding hip sockets and how the head of the femur sits in the pelvis.  There is a fundamental reasons Eastern European folks have dominated the lifting world and have such great squats at such depths- and it's because the socket that the head of the femur sits in is very shallow so it gives them more ROM.  There is an expression- you can google it "The Scottish hip" and people who are more West of that region (I'm full blood Scot- so I thought this was mighty interesting) have a deeper socket- so there is essentially less ROM for a full ATG squat.
So- I WILL and can squat ATG- but only up to like 155-165. After that- I break parallel and I'm done. I get stuck in the whole in a bad way otherwise.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1322 on: July 15, 2016, 07:13:20 AM »
Damn it feels good to start lifting heavy again!

My lifting partner really pushed me this morning on deadlifts

315 x 5
365 x 5
405 x 5
435 x 5
455 x 5 Boom! Haven't deadlifted that weight/reps since 2013

jordanread

« Reply #1323 on: July 15, 2016, 07:26:11 AM »
So, I finally ran a sub 13:00 2 mile on a record APFT, so that is one goal down.

I have gained about 10 pounds so far this year, and have seen fairly steady gains in the lifting department. I am currently staying at about 180 on my squat, and 205 on the deadlift. I seemed to have plateaued. Pull ups are at about 10 until muscle failure. I am still maxing the pushup and sit up events on the APFT, so no change there.

I've got that goal marked as complete. Awesome!! Are there pullup events in the APFT (I'm assuming that stands for Army Physical Fitness Test...I know I put it on the goal description post, but I'm really lazy).

Big victory at casa Samuel! I went to a Tabata class at the gym, the instructor called for curtsey squats, which I don't do very frequently. The move was a lot easier than it was a month ago, and I could feel I could feel that I've gained strength in my abs, glutes, and quads. It was a really nice moment of validation.

Hell yeah!

315 x 5
365 x 5
405 x 5
435 x 5

You realize that you just quintupled your goal? Unless I wrote it down incorrectly, you were going for a 455lb 1RM on deadlifts!! I marked it off for you.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 08:12:38 AM by jordanread »

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1324 on: July 15, 2016, 11:50:43 AM »
I had a REALLY interesting conversation with one of the guys at my gym regarding hip sockets and how the head of the femur sits in the pelvis...

This is all good and interesting stuff! I think sometimes people forget that 'genetic potential' doesn't just mean restrictions like IF UR MUSELS GRO WIKED BIG BRO!!!! (ahem :D ), but also just basic stuff like 'what your skeleton is shaped like'.

Weight room today was pretty nice. I'm starting to really see some effects on my calves from the combination of frequent hikes outside the weight room and structured calf work within it. I don't need the elusive Big Calves, but I do want calves that are both strong and have decent endurance. I'm a big fan of muscular endurance because real-life strength tasks don't usually involve only lifting something very heavy for three seconds :)

TL;DR - I'm really starting to see the effects from the work I'm doing right now and that's always a nice feeling. Also congrats to 2Birds1Stone and Coastie Colby... I mean Sailor Sam :) on their recent successes!)

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1325 on: July 15, 2016, 01:04:24 PM »
I had a REALLY interesting conversation with one of the guys at my gym regarding hip sockets and how the head of the femur sits in the pelvis...

This is all good and interesting stuff! I think sometimes people forget that 'genetic potential' doesn't just mean restrictions like IF UR MUSELS GRO WIKED BIG BRO!!!! (ahem :D ), but also just basic stuff like 'what your skeleton is shaped like'.

There's a trainer who works at my gym, I think 50% of his time just consists of hanging out in case people have questions while they work out (he works full time hourly so he's not on the private training session schedule a lot of trainers are). The first time I talked to him he was able to tell me that I probably had stiffness/pain [here] on a regular basis because of how I was standing and the weakness in my posture [here] and [there]. He was also incredibly helpful when I was pregnant and my skeleton and center of gravity were shifting week by week.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1326 on: July 15, 2016, 01:16:26 PM »
This skeleton discussion is interesting to me because something I'm currently debating is what the "thing" I need to do to get to the splits.

I'm WILDLY more bendy than I was at the beginning of the year when I started trying for the splits, but I have NO idea what is holding me back or what the extra "stretches" I can do to get to the splits. I'm starting to wonder if it might just be not possible for my hip flexors to do that.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1327 on: July 15, 2016, 03:08:00 PM »
Some people I believe are simply incapable of getting to the splits from a skeletal perspective.  That being said. I think it's a worth while goal to pursue for a good two years before giving up on it.
Check out fit and bendy,  they are digital videos that can be purchased specificity training into these exercises.  That might help you out. Also.  Invest in yoga blocks if you don't have them. They have made a huge difference in my stretching flexibility world.

I had a fail today. Testing the rest of my one rep max numbers. Bench was a solid 190. Ass mostly down.

But my deadlift oh my deadlift. Sigh. 315 was a fight. And 320 wasn't budging.  I feel perhaps under fed and the antibiotics and the infection probably not helping. But damn. Not happy. Not happy at all. Sigh.  Oh well.  Better luck next time.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1328 on: July 15, 2016, 05:55:00 PM »
Some people I believe are simply incapable of getting to the splits from a skeletal perspective.  That being said. I think it's a worth while goal to pursue for a good two years before giving up on it.
Check out fit and bendy,  they are digital videos that can be purchased specificity training into these exercises.  That might help you out. Also.  Invest in yoga blocks if you don't have them. They have made a huge difference in my stretching flexibility world.

I had a fail today. Testing the rest of my one rep max numbers. Bench was a solid 190. Ass mostly down.

But my deadlift oh my deadlift. Sigh. 315 was a fight. And 320 wasn't budging.  I feel perhaps under fed and the antibiotics and the infection probably not helping. But damn. Not happy. Not happy at all. Sigh.  Oh well.  Better luck next time.

Sorry about the DL disappointment, I can relate to that feeling. I hate those days when you're just not feeling it and everything is a grind. But a 190 bench is beastly. Nice work!

315 x 5
365 x 5
405 x 5
435 x 5

And yay for your DL success! :)

I also had a solid DL day myself yesterday, hitting a 30lb 1RM PR off a deficit at 505. It's crazy to reflect on the fact that 15 months ago I couldn't lift 315 off the ground.

Migrator Soul

• Stubble
  • The sooner you realize life is hard, the better.
    • Cerebral Combatant
« Reply #1329 on: July 15, 2016, 06:16:44 PM »

I've got that goal marked as complete. Awesome!! Are there pullup events in the APFT (I'm assuming that stands for Army Physical Fitness Test...I know I put it on the goal description post, but I'm really lazy).

Nope, they have them on the Marine PFT, and since I have Marines in my shop, I can't let them show me up all the time. But, if they ever change it to add them, I will already be well on my way to doing well :D

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1330 on: July 16, 2016, 03:55:18 PM »

Nice work on the bench. Sorry to hear about the deadlift. Too little food and antibiotics can destroy your strength though. Try again in a couple weeks, I bet you power through. If not, there's always nose tork.

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1331 on: July 18, 2016, 07:38:36 AM »
Checking in... I've been really upping my cycling and swimming workouts in anticipation of the triathlon at the end of the month and backing off my run mileage a bit (it's just a sprint, so only a 5K run), so imagine my surprise when I busted out a 33 second 5K PR this weekend! I went out at a fast (for me) but didn't feel too hard to maintain pace. At the halfway point I was passed by a woman in my age group who I know generally runs just a bit faster than me. So I made it my goal to stick with her and I did. She still edged me at the finish line, but I was happy to walk away with a shiny new PR and a third place age group award. Unfortunately I've given up all pretense of any strength work over the last couple of weeks. Sigh.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1332 on: July 18, 2016, 12:23:54 PM »
I had a great weekend!

6 mile hike on Saturday, with 1000' elevation gain. I set the pace for the group, which felt like a nice payoff. Then went to the gym on Sunday, for 3x15 on all exercises. The last set was supposed to be 1x11 for each exercise, but I was feeling good and pushed. Felt good at the time, but it was a mistake to push my lumbar spine. Had to take the day off, to lie on my back, consume codine, and ice my butt cheek. Sigh. Boy takes three step forward, boy gets cocky, boy reverts back a step.

On the fitness side, may I post my weight graph? I know there's a weightloss thread, and I don't want to force this one in a direction it don't want to go. I'll take it down if anyone requests. In the meantime!

jordanread

« Reply #1333 on: July 18, 2016, 12:26:33 PM »
Nice trend line SS! And weight is a pretty common metric here, just not the only metric. Post away!

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1334 on: July 18, 2016, 05:27:16 PM »
so imagine my surprise when I busted out a 33 second 5K PR this weekend!

I should think so, as that's over 300mph! Well done on the sprint work!

;)

(I'm just being pedantically jealous! Congrats on the PR :) )

Edit - awesome pics allsummerlong! Hiking is my own preferred cardio - I go on short hikes a couple times a week, and longer hikes once a month or so - so as far as I'm concerned, keep bringing those hike reports.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 05:29:25 PM by SoccerLounge »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1335 on: July 18, 2016, 05:31:43 PM »
I did an upper body workout today.

This is notable. Time was (ie, end of last year) I couldn't do an "upper body workout" because I would do one set of one thing and then be done... so there was no such thing as a full workout just for my upper body.

So today is very exciting. I've always suffered from major "noodle arm" syndrome. My sports growing up were: soccer, horseback riding, rhythmic gymnastics, track, and dance... those are all primarily leg-based activities!

Today I used our barbell and did 5x5 each of push press and "bro curls" (bicep curls with the bar, heh). Also some pull ups in there for good measure. (I'm still jumping for pull ups though, still can't chain them/do them from a hang). Husband was impressed with the vein I had going on one of my biceps, and is jealous I have better genetics for vasculature than him =P I have to win somewhere, right???

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1336 on: July 19, 2016, 06:21:59 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of signing up for a powerlifting meet.

I've never done one and think it would be great motivation to get my big 3 up to snuff, as well as get my weight down a bit to get into a light heavyweight class.

Anyone have recommendations on something close to NYC/Long Island in the November/December time frame?

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1337 on: July 19, 2016, 07:33:06 AM »

I've never done one and think it would be great motivation to get my big 3 up to snuff, as well as get my weight down a bit to get into a light heavyweight class.

Anyone have recommendations on something close to NYC/Long Island in the November/December time frame?

Here's the list of good ones in your area this year.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/new-york

Let me know if you need an online training partner. I could use some motivation to quit screwing around and get stronger.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1338 on: July 19, 2016, 09:17:51 AM »

Here's the list of good ones in your area this year.

http://www.powerliftingwatch.com/new-york

Let me know if you need an online training partner. I could use some motivation to quit screwing around and get stronger.

That's a great site! Unfortunately if I want to do a proper 16 week training block/meet periodization there aren't many meets end of November/early December.

I PM'd you regarding online training partner, I could also use the accountability/motivation.

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1339 on: July 19, 2016, 09:20:26 AM »
So glad to find this thread!  I'm in.  :)

My goals:
40 min workout, 6 days a week  (for now will consist of Jillian Michaels DVDs)
20-30 min walk everyday

Yesterday:  did JM 30 Day Shred, 2 sets back to back = 40 min workout; did not get my walk in though.

Today I'm feeling unmotivated and sluggish; didn't sleep well.  I need to remind my brain that the workout is non-negotiable. 

Being accountable here will be a great motivator for me.

Darcy
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 01:46:10 PM by M.Darcy »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1340 on: July 19, 2016, 10:39:06 AM »
Missed working out yesterday, totally regretted it from a mental health perspective. Very glad I made it to class before work today, it's going to be another 12-14 hour day at the office.

JoRocka- Thank you so much for the Fit and Bendy recommendation! I am going to try to work in the full hour-long video in twice this week, and will report back on progress!

SoccerLounge

• Stubble
« Reply #1341 on: July 19, 2016, 07:00:24 PM »
Today I'm feeling unmotivated and sluggish; didn't sleep well.  I need to remind my brain that the workout is non-negotiable.

Sometimes, you just have to do that. After a 13 hour work day plus only a few hours' sleep the night before, I sure didn't feel like it. Then I went and busted out a strong set! If you can bully the mind to just get started, the results are often worth it. :)

PDM

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1342 on: July 19, 2016, 10:25:57 PM »
Registered for the Brisbane 1/2 Marathon. Feeling fairly happy with training progress (on the back of a 19km run on the weekend). Almost into taper now.

jordanread

« Reply #1343 on: July 20, 2016, 05:47:39 AM »
So glad to find this thread!  I'm in.  :)

My goals:
40 min workout, 6 days a week  (for now will consist of Jillian Michaels DVDs)
20-30 min walk everyday

Yesterday:  did JM 30 Day Shred, 2 sets back to back = 40 min workout; did not get my walk in though.

Being accountable here will be a great motivator for me.

Darcy

Glad to have you here. Did you want to formalize some goals and I'll get them added to the tracking post?

Registered for the Brisbane 1/2 Marathon. Feeling fairly happy with training progress (on the back of a 19km run on the weekend). Almost into taper now.

Sweet! Do you have any time goals or anything like that? I know you want to complete the full Brisbane Marathon in < 01:50:00. Anything for this 1/2?

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1344 on: July 20, 2016, 06:00:34 AM »
Oh the difference sleep makes. Yesterday I got almost nine hours (catching up from the terrible sleep the night before) and by the end of the day there was a lot of green showing on my Fitbit's dashboard. It was already dark out by the time I saw this or else I might have been tempted to take the dog for a walk just to get the mileage *cough* and catch pokemon *cough*.

I need to remember to revise my work out plan since I've been making progress. Some things I don't need any more and I want to add "hanging on to the bar for up to 30 seconds" to strengthen my hands (this doesn't need to go onto the tracking post here, it's a stepping stone to my pull up goal). I also want to pull up the FitRanx level 1 test and put myself through it again to see where I'm at on that.

Let's try this attaching a picture thing...

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #1345 on: July 20, 2016, 06:41:44 AM »
Pulled this beautiful Wednesday morning

Barbell Deadlift
315 x 5
365 x 3
405 x 2
445 x 2
465 x 2
485 x 1 RPE ~8.5-9

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1346 on: July 20, 2016, 09:55:49 AM »
Glad to have you here. Did you want to formalize some goals and I'll get them added to the tracking (Jordanread)

Thanks Jordanread!  Hmmm... not sure I have any formal goals right now.  I'm not an athlete and the only times I've injured myself are when I was trying to be one.  I think for me the goals are just to have physical health be a part of my everyday life. 

If it changes I'll let you know.

Darcy

jordanread

« Reply #1347 on: July 20, 2016, 11:01:58 AM »
Glad to have you here. Did you want to formalize some goals and I'll get them added to the tracking (Jordanread)

Thanks Jordanread!  Hmmm... not sure I have any formal goals right now.  I'm not an athlete and the only times I've injured myself are when I was trying to be one.  I think for me the goals are just to have physical health be a part of my everyday life. 

Darcy

Not a problem. It's a fun place around here.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1348 on: July 20, 2016, 11:48:24 AM »

Sometimes, you just have to do that. After a 13 hour work day plus only a few hours' sleep the night before, I sure didn't feel like it. Then I went and busted out a strong set! If you can bully the mind to just get started, the results are often worth it. :)

They definitely are! Yesterday was one of those days that was a real grind for me, both because I didn't particularly feel like going, and also because the entire workout just felt hard and unpleasant. What's interesting is that I actually didn't have to push myself mentally very much, despite all of that. I started working out regularly a little over three years ago. It took me maybe 3-4 months to get past needing to actively force myself to go every other scheduled gym day, and build exercise into a habit. After that, I only occasionally had to force myself to get my lazy ass off the couch (maybe a couple times a month).

After about a year and half of this (~2 years after starting), I hit an inflection point where my brain finally was legitimately "tricked" into viewing exercise as non-negotiable. It's weird, but even on days I feel like crap, I find myself heading to the gym without even considering that I could choose not to go. It's kind of like going to work on a particularly unpleasant Monday. You gotta do it, so you just do. But unlike work, the satisfaction and personal benefits I have derived from this habit have been immense. Definitely worth the grind at the beginning of the process!

My reward this time? Had trouble getting out of bed today (not really, but kinda)... Some lower body abuse yesterday. And I loved it...afterwards anyway.

Close-stance box squat - 5x3 @325lbs
Deadlift - 5x3 @425lbs
Deficit beltless stiff leg deadlift - 3x5 @335lbs
Crapload of ab work

It hurts so good :)

jane x

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1349 on: July 20, 2016, 12:58:12 PM »

Darcy

Not a problem. It's a fun place around here.

Oh wait, I made some goals!  Can you add me to the list?

Darcy's 2016 Strength & Fitness Goals:

1.  3 months of regular workouts = at least 5 days a week
2.  6 months of regular workouts = at least 5 days a week, with increasing difficulty of workout

Thanks!