Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 350112 times)

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1150 on: June 10, 2016, 08:19:14 AM »
I just wanted you guys to know it's your fault I went to the gym today after several weeks of not going (illness, next to no sleep). You hear that? IT'S ALL YOUR FAULT. It's also this forum's fault in general that I was able to grab a lunch out of the freezer from the batch I made ahead rather than going out for lunch today.

Now don't you just feel terrible? :)

Success! I mean... plain awful. ;)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1151 on: June 10, 2016, 08:32:39 AM »
Between you guys and the people on the Nerd Fitness forums I've apparently been driven to insanity awesomeness.

FTFY
Speaking of insanity.....I'm considering starting to do triathlons again....what is wrong with me?  I even went swimming yesterday!

jordanread

« Reply #1152 on: June 10, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »
Between you guys and the people on the Nerd Fitness forums I've apparently been driven to insanity awesomeness.

FTFY
Speaking of insanity.....I'm considering starting to do triathlons again....what is wrong with me?  I even went swimming yesterday!

I'm certain that has nothing to do with other things going on. Totally independent event.

jordanread

« Reply #1153 on: June 11, 2016, 10:18:39 AM »

FTFY
Despite almost dying twice and taking a shortcut that cut three miles, I do feel like a badass for my ride yesterday. I stopped when I needed to, got back on the bike when I was ready, and finished 20 miles despite a heat index that was flirting with triple digits. Hills are still the bane of my existence and I over heated at one point but I did better than the ride last year even though it was much hotter this time.

One event down....three to go this month
Hell yeah! Way to go.

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1154 on: June 11, 2016, 12:45:29 PM »
Good job AerynLee! That sounds really tough. Hills on bikes are the bane of my existence as well. Doing that in the heat? You have my admiration!

I started stage of five of new rules for women yesterday and today my partner's been driving me around on errands (to a town 20 miles away and then back to the other side of town from where we both live) and it has felt nearly impossible to get in and out of his tiny two door hybrid. DOMS is hitting really strongly...

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1155 on: June 11, 2016, 02:48:03 PM »
Rage fueled deadlift session today. 600 for a single, 545 for 6. Might do some tire flips later.

Rage stems from moving company damaging over $10k in furniture, stealing a bunch of electronics and glassware, then looking around the garage today for my drill, and finding most of my power tools are gone too. Jerks.

Still, 600 felt good.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1156 on: June 11, 2016, 07:29:04 PM »
Rage fueled deadlift session today. 600 for a single, 545 for 6. Might do some tire flips later.

Rage stems from moving company damaging over $10k in furniture, stealing a bunch of electronics and glassware, then looking around the garage today for my drill, and finding most of my power tools are gone too. Jerks.

Still, 600 felt good.

Do you have any recourse/action you can take against them? Surely a simple checkbox count of boxes/items at the start and end of the move would avoid this?

I think I'm on track to be able to beat one of my goals next month. Local 11k fun run, want to do it in under 57 minutes... (it's all downhill so that helps time-wise :)  )

Yesterday just did a ~6k 'training' run in a new best of 32 mins. Always room for improvement, but that one felt good.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1157 on: June 12, 2016, 09:14:47 AM »

Still, 600 felt good.

Do you have any recourse/action you can take against them? Surely a simple checkbox count of boxes/items at the start and end of the move would avoid this?

I think I'm on track to be able to beat one of my goals next month. Local 11k fun run, want to do it in under 57 minutes... (it's all downhill so that helps time-wise :)  )

Yesterday just did a ~6k 'training' run in a new best of 32 mins. Always room for improvement, but that one felt good.

It's all documented and the claim is moving forward. Just had to amend the claim and not brew yesterday. Had planned on making an irish red ale, but won't get very far if I can't grind the grain.

Bench training today, then I'll jump on the rowing machine for a while.

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1158 on: June 13, 2016, 07:22:08 AM »
Tested my PRs Saturday. Got my 405 Squat, haven't hit my other goals yet, but bench increased 15lb and deadlift went up 40lb. Doing Ragbrai at the end of next month, so that isn't going to help with strength.

jordanread

« Reply #1159 on: June 13, 2016, 07:32:41 AM »
Tested my PRs Saturday. Got my 405 Squat, haven't hit my other goals yet, but bench increased 15lb and deadlift went up 40lb. Doing Ragbrai at the end of next month, so that isn't going to help with strength.
The SO told me about that. She used to live on the route. Have a great time. Is this your first time?

bgsnyder

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1160 on: June 13, 2016, 08:58:18 AM »
The SO told me about that. She used to live on the route. Have a great time. Is this your first time?

The route actually changes every year. I did the whole thing in 2012, and have done days here and there on different years. I did the last three days last year because it came through a suburb of my home town.

jordanread

« Reply #1161 on: June 13, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »

The route actually changes every year. I did the whole thing in 2012, and have done days here and there on different years. I did the last three days last year because it came through a suburb of my home town.

Ah, I was not aware of that. That ride has never appealed to me because heat. However, since the SO is from there, it might be an interesting test of how I do when it's freaking hot (getting better as I lose more "insulation", but I still prefer 50F).

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1162 on: June 13, 2016, 02:26:51 PM »

Still, 600 felt good.

http://tucson.com/news/blogs/police-beat/dead-injured-in-i--crash-near-marana/article_f09bd43f-544c-5ceb-8ff7-50731f381136.html

That's my moving truck from 2 years ago, it took almost 6 months to get the claim resolved because of the investigation required. So I feel you! But it could always be worse...

jordanread

« Reply #1163 on: June 13, 2016, 05:32:32 PM »
So I started a new job, and my workouts have been suffering as I try to get adjusted to a new schedule. I do know that I am going to have to double up a couple of weeks if I am going to hit my goal for consistency (I think it was 80%, but I don't remember off the top of my head. I made a thing to fill out, and promptly forgot the actual numbers), which sucks, but it's okay. Well, for some reason, I didn't even consider not working out before work, but I realized that I have evenings and weekends available. And my workouts don't take that long. I worked out again yesterday, doing some bridges and pullups. Man it felt good to start getting back in the swing of things.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1164 on: June 13, 2016, 06:21:23 PM »
Hey everybody, remember me? No? Well, that's unsurprising. I posted a goal, then disappeared.

I've actually been following long avidly, but something held me back from posting. I had knee surgery 12 months ago, and ever since I've somehow lost the knack of exercising. Mostly because I'm a big, sloppy, lazy, unworthy mess. A grit-less loser who lacks moral integrity, and is disgustingly mired in self pity. I don't deserve to post, because I'm not really exercising. Etc.

I'm exaggerating a little, but I have been feeling incredibly frustrated. In addition to the bionic knee, I have a chronic back injury that limits my squatting, running, biking, and most core muscle exercises. I got into a cycle of trying to use pre-made internet routines, aggravating my back/knee, getting discouraged, then switching to another routine. My strength never improved, I made no progress towards my goals, and I spent a lot of time with a very poor, and yes self-pitying attitude.

Last month, I decided enough was enough. It's my body, and it's critical I find an approach to exercise that works for me. Now I'm deeply enmeshed in changing my fundamental attitude towards exercise, and it seems to be working really well.  The only rule is 30 minutes per day, and the bar for 'exercise' is about an inch off the ground.

The approach seems to be working. I started off walking, but I few weeks ago I it might be fun to jog for a little while. So I jogged, and I stopped when I was ready. No stopwatch or Couch-to-5k program flogging me towards a goal. Just a little jog. It was awesome, and I smiled the entire time.

jordanread

« Reply #1165 on: June 13, 2016, 09:08:43 PM »
SS, I'm pretty certain that uber descriptive self flagellation burns calories. Anyway, glad the new routine is working out for you. Enjoying fitness is, IMO, the best way to make sure you consistently do it. And maybe next time you see Petrie, you'll be able to keep up on your bike rides.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1166 on: June 14, 2016, 09:02:24 AM »
I've had two busy weeks, which have destroyed my fitness schedule in some ways. (Right on the tail of visiting my parents- not a great month for fitness!). First, I picked up an extra work shift and it absolutely wrecked me physically, followed by a recovery day, then a day where I wasn't at home at all, and then back to work again, and then straight to camping for 4 days.

At the very least, while camping, we hauled a ton of wood and water up and down steep terrain. Also it was cold as !*$&# overnight, so I'm pretty sure that counts as metabolic training ;) Or maybe I'm just saying that to make myself feel better...

Anyway, moving back to a more standard schedule after this next work chunk, so starting Friday. Hoping I can get back on the fitness train again. I hate feeling like my goals are falling by the wayside! After so much progress during the first quarter of the year, I haven't been too pleased with my progress in Q2... treading water at best.

athiker10

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    • Radiant Self Care
« Reply #1167 on: June 14, 2016, 05:30:41 PM »
Bracken_Joy, I look forward to hauling water this weekend while camping! (It's my least favorite camping chore). Today I had to work at our office downtown (instead of the program office in my neighborhood). I had a great bike ride into work, took about half an hour, 10 minutes faster than expected. It's reminded me that I miss biking every day. Except I'm one of those kind who can't just go for a joy ride, I have to have a destination.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1168 on: June 14, 2016, 07:05:53 PM »
SS, I'm pretty certain that uber descriptive self flagellation burns calories. Anyway, glad the new routine is working out for you. Enjoying fitness is, IMO, the best way to make sure you consistently do it. And maybe next time you see Petrie, you'll be able to keep up on your bike rides.

Oh, make no mistake. I smoke Petrie's ass when it comes to bikes. It's the running that she excels at. As in, literally accelerates away from me.

Went to the gym last night. I did a nice warm up on the elliptical, then did a beginners round of Convict Conditioning. Except for the headstands. I tried it once, and I'm terrified I'll snap my neck. So I'm saving those for later.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1169 on: June 14, 2016, 09:43:18 PM »

Oh, make no mistake. I smoke Petrie's ass when it comes to bikes. It's the running that she excels at. As in, literally accelerates away from me.

Went to the gym last night. I did a nice warm up on the elliptical, then did a beginners round of Convict Conditioning. Except for the headstands. I tried it once, and I'm terrified I'll snap my neck. So I'm saving those for later.

First applause for you! Welcome back :)

And second I went to yoga today and did my first successful not at a wall headstand in class! (SS you won't snap your neck, put weight in your hands/arms to offload some pressure.)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1170 on: June 15, 2016, 02:24:13 PM »
I've been MIA between a weird work schedule and a vacation! Husband and I went to Atlanta to run the Hotlanta Half Marathon. We finished in 2:30.34. That almost 12 minutes slower than my PR, but given how hot, humid, and hilly it was, I'll take it. We also ran the Braves Country 5K the day before (31:27- Also hot, humid, and hilly). Beyond the races, I got some training runs, body weight work, and a round of last week. So far this week it has just been a lot of walking (seeing the sights) and some stretching. Taking it easy this week so I don't have a set back like after my April half.

bgsnyder- good luck with RAGBRAI. I'm from Iowa originally. Have several family members who have done all/part of it. They loved it. It's on my goal list, but might be a few years.

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1171 on: June 16, 2016, 04:36:29 PM »
I did seated calf raises today with 5 x 45lb plates on the machine today for reps.  That's an all time PR for me and was pretty exciting.  Onward to the 600lb standing calf raise!!!  My calves are looking pretty diesel these days.

marty998

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1172 on: June 16, 2016, 04:40:19 PM »

And second I went to yoga today and did my first successful not at a wall headstand in class! (SS you won't snap your neck, put weight in your hands/arms to offload some pressure.)

Since when does the forum have emojis?????

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1173 on: June 16, 2016, 04:53:12 PM »

Thanks, yo. Congrats on your handstand. I'm pretty far from doing a headstand of any kind, so you're definitely winning the competition. Which leads me to....

Went to the gym today, and did a 60 minute Tabata class. I like the format, but I'm super competitive and usually spend the time making sure I'm putting a huge amount of physical effort into the movements, proving to all attending that I am indeed The Man.

Today, I convinced myself to use a grownup approach, and put ~70% effort into each movement. At that intensity, everything felt really great, and I enjoyed being with my body instead of flogging my body. Astoundingly, I enjoyed the experience so much more than previous. Go figure.

jordanread

« Reply #1174 on: June 16, 2016, 05:33:00 PM »

Since when does the forum have emojis?????

LOL. It's not the forums themselves. There is a tapatalk plugin installed, and that replaces the emoji code with actual emoji image. There are a lot of them, and when you use the code, you can see them everywhere (including in a browser). I wrote a little script that iterated through them all, but it's on my other computer. Here are the first couple hundred.

Went to the gym today, and did a 60 minute Tabata class. I like the format, but I'm super competitive and usually spend the time making sure I'm putting a huge amount of physical effort into the movements, proving to all attending that I am indeed The Man.

Today, I convinced myself to use a grownup approach, and put ~70% effort into each movement. At that intensity, everything felt really great, and I enjoyed being with my body instead of flogging my body. Astoundingly, I enjoyed the experience so much more than previous. Go figure.

That's awesome that you found a good method. I've found that leaving a bit of effort "in the bank" makes a huge difference to the attitude I have regarding the workout, and little difference between going all out or to failure. I remember that Pavel Tsatsouline talked about that a bit in his Naked Warrior book.

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
  • resting up for 2020
« Reply #1175 on: June 17, 2016, 09:18:21 AM »
Like Meepsy, I have been following without posting much. I have been keeping up with my primary goal: 5 miles of walking a day, or the equivalent time spent biking.

I've built up a little surplus too, but I am forbidden from using an existing surplus as an excuse to slack off. Anything less than 5 miles today requires me to make it up tomorrow.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1176 on: June 17, 2016, 10:31:55 AM »
Between you guys and the people on the Nerd Fitness forums I've apparently been driven to insanity.

aw- man- I miss NF. I used to be quite active on that site- I'm still friends on FB with some folks I met at a met up once.

But it's blocked at work- and if somethings blocked at work it makes it about 10 x harder for me to be active on it. sigh- oh well.

Loved NF- good peeps for sure :)

hi- waves- I"m checking in- been quite busy at work lately- I'm gearing up to be an RE for a month while mine is out- and it's a new position for me (cue sex jokes)- so its' taking up quite a bit of my time.
June into July is becoming stressful- my first dress fitting is schedule first week in July- I"m fucking pissed as hell b/c I can't seem to get my weight under 160- I really would rather break this year into the solid 150's and live at 150. But I'm seemingly trapped despite my best efforts at 160. #stabbystabby

But- upside to this- I have just started the final rotation of the block program in Sheiko. So the taper/peak aspect. I prepped myself to hurry along my lifts today by writing down my workout this morning- instead of when I got to the gym. (mostly so I could try to do the 6 PM cardio class)... dun dun dun.... cue dramatic music.

Wednesday's workout was really light and easy- didn't think much of it- turns out it was b/c today is the big 3 are maxed out for me. Now I'm nervous- all day. And I'm eating like I'm competing.  So- today shall be awesome. And then it's all down hill from there for programming!!!   

I've upped my cardio in an effort to drop more weight-  (apparently futile)  After today- I'll cut my calories under 1600- because apparently that's still to much. (EFF YOU BODY- EFF YOU) and see what happens.

My weights are feeling solid- and stable- and my squat is looking and feeling good- which I"m very pleased with- so today hopefully I'll be pulling 3 plates on the DL and 250- squat and fingers crossed a 200 bench. Today might be the day for my 200 bench. 
I can't wait- I've been hungry for that for a long time.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1177 on: June 17, 2016, 02:24:34 PM »

Thanks, yo. Congrats on your handstand. I'm pretty far from doing a headstand of any kind, so you're definitely winning the competition. Which leads me to....

Yay, positive Tabata experience! :D

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1178 on: June 17, 2016, 02:26:41 PM »
Between you guys and the people on the Nerd Fitness forums I've apparently been driven to insanity.

aw- man- I miss NF. I used to be quite active on that site- I'm still friends on FB with some folks I met at a met up once.

But it's blocked at work- and if somethings blocked at work it makes it about 10 x harder for me to be active on it. sigh- oh well.

hi- waves- I"m checking in- been quite busy at work lately- I'm gearing up to be an RE for a month while mine is out- and it's a new position for me (cue sex jokes)- so its' taking up quite a bit of my time.
June into July is becoming stressful- my first dress fitting is schedule first week in July- I"m fucking pissed as hell b/c I can't seem to get my weight under 160- I really would rather break this year into the solid 150's and live at 150. But I'm seemingly trapped despite my best efforts at 160. #stabbystabby

But- upside to this- I have just started the final rotation of the block program in Sheiko. So the taper/peak aspect. I prepped myself to hurry along my lifts today by writing down my workout this morning- instead of when I got to the gym. (mostly so I could try to do the 6 PM cardio class)... dun dun dun.... cue dramatic music.

Wednesday's workout was really light and easy- didn't think much of it- turns out it was b/c today is the big 3 are maxed out for me. Now I'm nervous- all day. And I'm eating like I'm competing.  So- today shall be awesome. And then it's all down hill from there for programming!!!   

I've upped my cardio in an effort to drop more weight-  (apparently futile)  After today- I'll cut my calories under 1600- because apparently that's still to much. (EFF YOU BODY- EFF YOU) and see what happens.

My weights are feeling solid- and stable- and my squat is looking and feeling good- which I"m very pleased with- so today hopefully I'll be pulling 3 plates on the DL and 250- squat and fingers crossed a 200 bench. Today might be the day for my 200 bench. 

I envy your Bench!

When was the last time you were in the 150's for scale weight? I found that while I can force my weight low (it's miserable but it can happen) my body tends to rebound, it really doesn't like 140s or 150s it much prefers 160s and 170s. As much as I wish it wasn't true I'm coming to terms with what is sustainable and reasonable for me. :/

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1179 on: June 19, 2016, 01:31:21 PM »
Getting back into the swing of working out... for this weekend. Sigh. Deciding to buy a house in another city looks like it'll be throwing a wrench in the workout plans soon. But not today! Today I did sumo deadlifts. Which started off with me feeling ridiculous, and my husband comparing me to a baby giraffe. Visual for humor's sake:

In spite of the silly beginnings, I quickly worked up to 155lbs. My conventional PR is 170 (or 175? Forgetting currently). And guys... it was *easy*. We only didn't keep pushing it because we did a slow progression up, so I was getting tired. And I had done squats beforehand. And I've only done metcon, no big lifting, in like... 4-6 weeks? Anyway, pretty sure my sumo is going to progress much more quickly than my conventional, and will hopefully let me get to my goals faster. Baby giraffe visuals and house hunting aside.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1180 on: June 20, 2016, 12:45:39 AM »
This was officially an "I hate my coach" day. Deadlift variations up the wazoo. All on an Okie bar too, which to the uninitiated is a stiff, wickedly sharp, callus shredding monster.

First, I worked up to 3 rep max @ 475lbs. Then...
3x8 @ 355lbs
3x8 beltless paused @ 275lbs
3x8 snatch grip stiff leg @ 195 lbs

Almost threw up my father's day brunch on multiple occasions. Feel surprisingly OK now though! :)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1181 on: June 20, 2016, 10:18:40 AM »

I envy your Bench!

When was the last time you were in the 150's for scale weight? I found that while I can force my weight low (it's miserable but it can happen) my body tends to rebound, it really doesn't like 140s or 150s it much prefers 160s and 170s. As much as I wish it wasn't true I'm coming to terms with what is sustainable and reasonable for me. :/

I have a similar theory I Think about my 160 weight- I sit quiet happily at 160-165- and under that is quite a fight.
I hit 156 about 4 years ago- and I flux around 160- and this may I hit 159.3- I just... I feel like 150 is not UN-ACHIEVABLE. And with the right amount of fight- I can reset my body to that weight and 150 will be my new HAPPY weight.

But I just- cannot.seem.to.get.there.
Not sure why- well I kind of know- but not really. I know my snackage is a thing- but I log everything I snack. So in theory- there is room- and I am gracious with my calories added- and stingy with calories burned (at this point I don't even track them- I just do TDEE and log everything as 1)
So- I just- not sure. I could do better with "clean" (I don't really believe in that- but something's gotta give) and cut down on white bread type things. We'll see. I was REALLY hoping for 155 by July.

But. well. that is currently not happening as that is in a whole total of 2 weeks. So meh.

Oh well- my first dress fitting July- so I cannot go crazy with anything after next month. I'll live. LOL

BUT.
GOOD NEWS WARRIORS.
I benched 200- it was dirty- and would not be legal- was a little shallow- and a lot of ass off the bench- but 100% unassisted.

I also hit a 250 clean squat 255- I a got scared and chickened out- I am finding I'm horrible at grinding out a squat. I tend to just give up before it's a fight- note. things to work on- working up at out of the hole.

My dead lift is a shitty as usual and stalled at 315. 100% mental for me. I'm disappointed to say the least- but I'll take grown on 2 out of 3 lifts.
:)

on ward and upwards!

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1182 on: June 20, 2016, 12:41:48 PM »
Hey everybody, remember me? No? Well, that's unsurprising. I posted a goal, then disappeared.

I've actually been following long avidly, but something held me back from posting. I had knee surgery 12 months ago, and ever since I've somehow lost the knack of exercising. Mostly because I'm a big, sloppy, lazy, unworthy mess. A grit-less loser who lacks moral integrity, and is disgustingly mired in self pity. I don't deserve to post, because I'm not really exercising. Etc.

I'm exaggerating a little, but I have been feeling incredibly frustrated. In addition to the bionic knee, I have a chronic back injury that limits my squatting, running, biking, and most core muscle exercises. I got into a cycle of trying to use pre-made internet routines, aggravating my back/knee, getting discouraged, then switching to another routine. My strength never improved, I made no progress towards my goals, and I spent a lot of time with a very poor, and yes self-pitying attitude.

Last month, I decided enough was enough. It's my body, and it's critical I find an approach to exercise that works for me. Now I'm deeply enmeshed in changing my fundamental attitude towards exercise, and it seems to be working really well.  The only rule is 30 minutes per day, and the bar for 'exercise' is about an inch off the ground.

The approach seems to be working. I started off walking, but I few weeks ago I it might be fun to jog for a little while. So I jogged, and I stopped when I was ready. No stopwatch or Couch-to-5k program flogging me towards a goal. Just a little jog. It was awesome, and I smiled the entire time.
This is great.  I *still* struggle with this, and dealing with injury.

For the last several years (since the second baby), I've been doing swimming, walking, yoga, weight training mostly.  Sometimes more than others.  Sometimes with a goal, sometimes not.  Prior to this I'd been running, and worked my way up to 1/2 marathon (2 of them), but got injured.

I feel sometimes that I need a *goal* though.  Recently, I thought, "I should run again".  Now, because I was injured last time around (piriformis induced sciatica, achilles tendonitis, sprained knee), I thought "I'll take it easy with a run/walk".  So I did.  Then, the Type-A in me thought "well, what if I train for a half marathon again?  Just start slow, you can always walk most of it".  (And of course, the half in question just happens to be all uphill, 3000 ft elevation gain).  So I went from a run /walk ratio of 2 min/ 3 min (which bothered my knee a little bit) to a run/walk ratio of 3 min / 2 min.  All the while telling myself that I will ONLY run/ walk, I WILL NOT just run (type A, so hard to say that).

Well, day 2 of the 3 min/ 2 min and...the sciatica is back with a vengeance.  Two days of near-constant pain.

It is so hard to mentally lower the bar to a point where the physical can handle it.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2016, 12:46:27 PM by mm1970 »

mm1970

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1183 on: June 20, 2016, 12:48:55 PM »
I"m fucking pissed as hell b/c I can't seem to get my weight under 160- I really would rather break this year into the solid 150's and live at 150. But I'm seemingly trapped despite my best efforts at 160. #stabbystabby

I can relate.  "My number" is 132.  But I sit at around 140.  Last November, I hit it really hard and dropped to 136.  And then got the stomach flu, which got me down to 129 (but that wasn't pretty).  By April, back up to 141.

I feel trapped. But partially because ... I KNOW I can get there, but it requires perfection to get there and stay there.  (1500 cals max, no wine, no wheat, no sugar...ever).  And, really, is life worth living with that?

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1184 on: June 20, 2016, 01:16:14 PM »
I"m fucking pissed as hell b/c I can't seem to get my weight under 160- I really would rather break this year into the solid 150's and live at 150. But I'm seemingly trapped despite my best efforts at 160. #stabbystabby

I can relate.  "My number" is 132.  But I sit at around 140.  Last November, I hit it really hard and dropped to 136.  And then got the stomach flu, which got me down to 129 (but that wasn't pretty).  By April, back up to 141.

I feel trapped. But partially because ... I KNOW I can get there, but it requires perfection to get there and stay there.  (1500 cals max, no wine, no wheat, no sugar...ever).  And, really, is life worth living with that?

This, this is what I'm coming to terms with. I'd rather be happy and social and a little heavier than I'd be prefer if my other option is an ideal weight/size and unable to enjoy friends/social gatherings.

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1185 on: June 20, 2016, 02:36:59 PM »

This, this is what I'm coming to terms with. I'd rather be happy and social and a little heavier than I'd be prefer if my other option is an ideal weight/size and unable to enjoy friends/social gatherings.

Yup.  Unfortunately a lot of it is determined by body type -  skeletal structure and metabolism.  You can only fight Darwin so hard.  Of course in JoRocka's case I bet she could pretty easily get down to 150lbs or less...but that goal is rather at odds with goals that include such things as 200lb bench presses or 315lb DLs.  Gotta be realistic with competing goals, too.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1186 on: June 21, 2016, 09:10:09 AM »
I bet she could pretty easily get down to 150lbs or less...but that goal is rather at odds with goals that include such things as 200lb bench presses or 315lb DLs.  Gotta be realistic with competing goals, too.

Which is exactly why no one should ever even look at a scale, but track their progress with a tape measurer or calipers instead.
Weight is pretty much completely meaningless in terms of health, fitness, or even appearance. 
What everyone is REALLY interested in is bodyfat percentage, and weight is NOT a good approximation when you are comparing athletic active people to the general population.

According to the BMI charts, Arnold Schwarzenegger, at the height of his bodybuilding career, was clinically obese, with 6% bodyfat.

Throw out your scales people, track which notch in the belt you are using!

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1187 on: June 21, 2016, 09:13:06 AM »

Big fatty fat fat Arnold, with a BMI of 31

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1188 on: June 21, 2016, 09:37:58 AM »

All of this! My "overweight" husband is BMI of 29. Even though you could play xylophone on his serratus, and his abs can cast shadows.

And you know what? I weigh the most I EVER have right now. By like 10 pounds! Gasp. Somehow I'm not worried....

Classic:

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1189 on: June 21, 2016, 10:33:01 AM »

All of this! My "overweight" husband is BMI of 29. Even though you could play xylophone on his serratus, and his abs can cast shadows.

And you know what? I weigh the most I EVER have right now. By like 10 pounds! Gasp. Somehow I'm not worried....

I alternate between the overweight and obese BMI as well....at between 5-6%BF and 5'-11" height.  I'm always proud when I'm in the obese category and I get paperwork on how I need to lose weight each year at my company's fitness-for-duty physical.  Coming in at only "overweight" is a bit of a disappointment when it happens.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1190 on: June 21, 2016, 11:35:52 AM »
Both a finance and fitness update: Yesterday was my 100th class on Classpass! That brings my marginal cost to $4.15/class which is less than half the price I would pay if I was paying for the high-end classes on their own (it's $79/month compared to $175/month for unlimited at most studios).

I've tried: weight training, Crossfit, Barre3, Bar Method, Pilates, Spinning, HIIT, TRX, Indoor Rowing, and yoga on it - plus a few other random things. As long as I'm in town, I work out 6 days/week on it and have a little "routine" built up of all the classes on a rotating schedule. I've been able to use it when traveling to other cities a few times as well.

It's definitely a spendypants way to work out compared to running or a home gym or a cheap-o megagym, but given the size of my apartment (no room for a home gym) and my low self-motivation level for daily workouts beyond bike commuting, I'm happy I've been doing it. It would be one of the first things to go if I needed to cut expenses, though.

Anyway, it's been interesting. Has anyone else used it?

(Oh yea, I have a referral code with a discount if you're interested in trying but won't put it up to avoid seeming spammy.)

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1191 on: June 21, 2016, 01:29:39 PM »

Yeppers.
Since I perform professional as a dancer solo and with a group- it means i"m travelling quite a bit- and they are HUGE on food. And I manage my weight quite well- but all the travel- and the long distance relationship with my fiance = steak nights out as dates- happen fairly regularly (he likes to splurge since he eats chicken fingers and hummas daily pretty much)- so it makes it difficult socially- not impossible- but socially challenging.

Shrug- it's the trade off.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1192 on: June 21, 2016, 01:35:55 PM »
I bet she could pretty easily get down to 150lbs or less...but that goal is rather at odds with goals that include such things as 200lb bench presses or 315lb DLs.  Gotta be realistic with competing goals, too.

Which is exactly why no one should ever even look at a scale, but track their progress with a tape measurer or calipers instead.
Weight is pretty much completely meaningless in terms of health, fitness, or even appearance. 
What everyone is REALLY interested in is bodyfat percentage, and weight is NOT a good approximation when you are comparing athletic active people to the general population.

According to the BMI charts, Arnold Schwarzenegger, at the height of his bodybuilding career, was clinically obese, with 6% bodyfat.

Throw out your scales people, track which notch in the belt you are using!

Well- my 150 goal is driven by appearance- I'm still fairly meaty. I mean- I look good (IMHO)- but I'd like more shoulder definition and more abs definition and a little more quad definition. I am just angling for 150-155. It's really not the number. It's more about the appearance and I'm just not as lean as I'd look. I actually rarely get on the scale- I just happen to know at 160-165- I'm not as lean as I want. but as pointed out... appearance goals and performance goals are often 100% at odds.
So just gotta you know- make the call!!!

Yup.  Unfortunately a lot of it is determined by body type -  skeletal structure and metabolism.  You can only fight Darwin so hard.  Of course in JoRocka's case I bet she could pretty easily get down to 150lbs or less...but that goal is rather at odds with goals that include such things as 200lb bench presses or 315lb DLs.  Gotta be realistic with competing goals, too.

Well- I think both of those are reasonable goals- IF i just comitted to one hard core and got there- but I struggle with my cutting goals- I tend to reach prebulk weight and then boom- that's it stuck. But meh whatever.

UPSIDE- I hit a really ugly shallow- 200 bench- 195 was solid and clear with a little tidbit of butt lift. So happy and pleased it felt good.

Squat- up 5 solid points- hit a clean 250.

DL- still stuck at 315- clean- no hitching- little bit of a grinder- but 315 is totally mental for me- 330 I"m COMING FOR YOU!!! fight fight fight!!!

flan

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1193 on: June 21, 2016, 03:27:23 PM »
Both a finance and fitness update: Yesterday was my 100th class on Classpass! That brings my marginal cost to $4.15/class which is less than half the price I would pay if I was paying for the high-end classes on their own (it's $79/month compared to $175/month for unlimited at most studios)...

I LOVED the concept of ClassPass and really enjoyed the variety of instructors and classes you could take. I say that if you are able to commit to going that often, it's a great way to stay motivated!

I ended up dropping my membership because I was spending $79 but only going 3-4 times a month. I also felt like I was stressing myself out with wanting to schedule classes as close to after work as possible, but then sometimes work would run late and I would freak out about the cancellation fees, lol. Then I would try to wait until the day-of to decide to sign up for class, which, of course, I never did.

Right now I'm following along Mark Lauren's $5 bodyweight training app, which to me feels like having an instructor with demo videos and timed segments, progression to harder and harder moves as you get along the program, and very cheap and portable. However, there's not the variety in cardio / barre / cycling / yoga, etc.

I am tempted to go back to or add on ClassPass, though, mostly for the yoga. I loved all the different styles and stretches of different studios, and loved the feeling of a space that's dedicated to meditation and wellness.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2016, 03:43:09 PM by flan »

jordanread

« Reply #1194 on: June 21, 2016, 04:37:57 PM »
As soon as I get back to a computer, I'll update your name flan. If you are doing it for privacy, go ahead and delete that line from above.

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1195 on: June 21, 2016, 04:51:28 PM »
Well- I think both of those are reasonable goals- IF i just comitted to one hard core and got there- but I struggle with my cutting goals- I tend to reach prebulk weight and then boom- that's it stuck. But meh whatever.

UPSIDE- I hit a really ugly shallow- 200 bench- 195 was solid and clear with a little tidbit of butt lift. So happy and pleased it felt good.

Squat- up 5 solid points- hit a clean 250.

DL- still stuck at 315- clean- no hitching- little bit of a grinder- but 315 is totally mental for me- 330 I"m COMING FOR YOU!!! fight fight fight!!!

Both are achievable goals in their own right.  Doing both at the same time is sort of competing priorities is all I'm saying.  But there's always Winstrol!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1196 on: June 21, 2016, 05:01:21 PM »
Yeah I hear ya it's definitely a thing . I'm an over achiever like that.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1197 on: June 21, 2016, 05:16:33 PM »
jordanread - would you mind updating my name to flan on the tracking sheet? (formerly cai)  Thanks :)

Both a finance and fitness update: Yesterday was my 100th class on Classpass! That brings my marginal cost to $4.15/class which is less than half the price I would pay if I was paying for the high-end classes on their own (it's $79/month compared to $175/month for unlimited at most studios)...

I LOVED the concept of ClassPass and really enjoyed the variety of instructors and classes you could take. I say that if you are able to commit to going that often, it's a great way to stay motivated!

I ended up dropping my membership because I was spending $79 but only going 3-4 times a month. I also felt like I was stressing myself out with wanting to schedule classes as close to after work as possible, but then sometimes work would run late and I would freak out about the cancellation fees, lol. Then I would try to wait until the day-of to decide to sign up for class, which, of course, I never did.

Right now I'm following along Mark Lauren's $5 bodyweight training app, which to me feels like having an instructor with demo videos and timed segments, progression to harder and harder moves as you get along the program, and very cheap and portable. However, there's not the variety in cardio / barre / cycling / yoga, etc.

I am tempted to go back to or add on ClassPass, though, mostly for the yoga. I loved all the different styles and stretches of different studios, and loved the feeling of a space that's dedicated to meditation and wellness.

Oh yea, if I was only going 3-4 times a month it would definitely not be worth it at the current rate. I've had one case where I've had to pay the fee because I couldn't get out of work in time, and that was a bummer. I'm learning to be more practical about scheduling my times around my new work schedule. The big advantage of the $20 cancel fee for me is the accountability. I rarely want to sleep in for an extra hour over go to the gym if it's going to cost me $20.

There's a classpass rate in my town to get 4 classes a month at $40- maybe there's one where you are. That might make sense for you.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 06:55:58 PM by monstermonster »

jordanread

« Reply #1198 on: June 21, 2016, 06:49:19 PM »
jordanread - would you mind updating my name to flan on the tracking sheet?

Done.

Sailor Sam

• Magnum Stache
  • Semper...something
« Reply #1199 on: June 21, 2016, 08:16:31 PM »
HA!

I went to the gym tonight, and did some practice squatting. No pain in my knee, and for the first time in a long, long, looooong time I could feel all those posterior chain muscles firing. Which means I've finally progressed past the incredibly tedious part where I rebuild the strength and balance needed to find proper form. 

Now onto actual, real squatting with proper form! I did 5 today. My goal was 10, but I was tired by 5 and felt my back rounding an knees buckling in. No need to push it.