Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 350361 times)

JoRocka

• Bristles
Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1050 on: May 16, 2016, 08:02:52 AM »
..............but please no more selfies. Over-sharing

Not here. It's sharing exactly in line with some goals.

Ah yea, and some folks THINK they are looking good, but............... Mod Note: Forum Rule #1

Forum rule number one appears to be don't be a jerk.... not don't post selfies.

I don't get it- it's not funny. even if it is a joke. It's rude.
Jordan was super diplomatic- but I'm flat out offended.  I don't get it. I know I'm "new" to the group- but wtf?!?!?!
That includes, but is not limited to:
1. Don't be a jerk.
2. Attack an argument, not a person.
3. Your posts must not break any laws.
4. Be respectful of the site and other members.
5. No spam.
6. Use good taste.  (See example below, 5/11/15.)

Also. Bakari- you're my hero this weekend. Seriously. that's awesome.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1051 on: May 16, 2016, 09:05:20 AM »
Okay.  I was really confused at what was going on.i thought they were saying posting selfies was a jerk/mod rule I was like. Dafuk! 

Thank you very much for clearing it up!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1052 on: May 16, 2016, 09:12:29 AM »
Okay, now that I've found this thread and made some tangible progress that I'd like to keep going, can I join?

Goals:
1.  Bike > 200 miles/month, no matter the weather.
2.  Minimize processed sugar.  This means no candy (one exception per month).
3.  Get from 2x20 regular crunches to my old routine of five types of crunches with 3x20 sets of each. 
4.  Continue to lose weight.  Weight in Oct 2015: 220 lbs.  Current weight:  200 lbs.  Goal weight:  190 lbs.  Stretch goal weight:  185 lbs. 

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #1053 on: May 16, 2016, 09:33:45 AM »
J_S, I have a kayak question if you don't mind.

I live at the junction of two rivers (well, within walking distance anyway) and I've been seriously pondering buying a sit-on kayak for paddling. My primary reason for this choice is because they are a bucketload cheaper (can get one 2nd hand for a couple of hundred dollars) than the ones you sit in.

I used to paddle a canoe when I was a kid, but it was a massive big Canadian thing that wouldn't tip if you stood up and danced. Is a sit-on going to work for me, given I haven't paddled in about 25 years? Or would I be better waiting until I can get the funds stashed for a "proper" kayak?

I think a sit-on-top would be just fine. I am of the mind that yes, if you are interested in getting into long-distance paddling, an enclosed cockpit (I assume this is what you mean by "proper"?) is the way to go. But for having fun on a river...the cheaper option available to you makes sense. Just get out on the water anyway you can...and let the kayaking-paddle stroke start to work it's magic on your upper torso!

If you want to talk more about paddling - shoot me a PM or find me in my Journal. :)

jordanread

« Reply #1054 on: May 16, 2016, 09:58:07 AM »
Okay.  I was really confused at what was going on.i thought they were saying posting selfies was a jerk/mod rule I was like. Dafuk! 

Thank you very much for clearing it up!

Oh, you are on tapatalk, which for some reason does not show strikethroughs or colors (Mod Note is usually red, and the offending text is crossed out). I can understand the confusion. However, and I think it's because shiny stuff makes me think fabulous, but you may have some competition from Bakari.

Okay, now that I've found this thread and made some tangible progress that I'd like to keep going, can I join?

Glad to have you here Eric!! I've got you added to the tracking post. Is that seriously 300 crunches?

For those of you who don't know, Eric is a damn rockstar who has completely switched up his life over this past year(ish). He's rocking the biking, parenting, and other awesomeness.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1055 on: May 16, 2016, 10:05:56 AM »
I saw it originally on desktop but haven't been here long enough to grab the nuances of a mod. Still finding my feet in the community. But it definitely didn't help I do go back and forth via tapatalk and my screen.  Definitely had me confused.

Bakari kicked my ass in the fabulous department this weekend I stayed home and got drunk! (I mean I went to dance class and worked out- but other wise. Just Tequila!)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1056 on: May 16, 2016, 10:14:10 AM »
Hit my mileage goals for the week running. Added in a swim and a body weight strength session. My niece visited for the weekend and we took her to the pool one day. I think the two hours we spent just playing in the pool with her hanging on my back and chasing her through the water was a harder workout than some of my actual swim sessions.

I'll go on record saying I enjoy the photos. You all look fabulous.

Bakari- I have to ask though, how did your feet feel after 7 miles in cowboy boots? I must admit I winced a little seeing those... my feet are a little sore just thinking about wearing something like that for a race.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1057 on: May 16, 2016, 10:28:08 AM »
Bakari, congratulations. You have won out for my "favorite MMMer" slot of this week. That is some boombox DEDICATION my friend. Sparkly, fabulous dedication.

ETA: I was reflecting on why your adventure delighted me so much. I think it's because of the joy and laughter of everyone in the pictures. You brought levity to exercise, and gave a much needed break to people pushing themselves for betterment. I like that. So thank you! You're doing a sparkly job of bringing inspiration to the world.

jordanread

« Reply #1058 on: May 16, 2016, 10:31:32 AM »
Bakari, bringing joy to the world one sparkly hat and bowtie at a time.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1059 on: May 16, 2016, 10:42:44 AM »
Bakari- you're my hero this weekend. Seriously. that's awesome.

I felt the same way from your last set of pictures, and the accompanying comment

Just an FYI...  For those concerned ed.  Heavy lifting does not make you bulky...  It makes you sexy.

Reminded me of my essay on women, physical strength, and feminism from a fer years back. You'd make another excellent example.

Oh, and also the female engineer who could pass for a fitness model... not what I think most people envision when they think of a woman with a nerdy, "manly" job!

Bakari kicked my ass in the fabulous department this weekend I stayed home and got drunk!

Only one day a year though.  I get the impression that fabulous is just a way of life for you!

Bakari- I have to ask though, how did your feet feel after 7 miles in cowboy boots? I must admit I winced a little seeing those... my feet are a little sore just thinking about wearing something like that for a race.

The toes were pretty bad immediately after, but my knee had me hobbling around the rest of the day and I still can't raise my arms above shoulder level without pain today.  Totally worth it.

Bakari, congratulations. You have won out for my "favorite MMMer" slot of this week. That is some boombox DEDICATION my friend. Sparkly, fabulous dedication.

ETA: I was reflecting on why your adventure delighted me so much. I think it's because of the joy and laughter of everyone in the pictures. You brought levity to exercise, and gave a much needed break to people pushing themselves for betterment. I like that. So thank you! You're doing a sparkly job of bringing inspiration to the world.

I'm not sure I could do a 135lb front squat without falling over.  Your ripply back muscles belong right there with Jo and Yogi showing that strength can come in a sexy feminine package!!

ETA =? Estimated Time of Arrival? 
Anyway, yeah, a lot of the fun for me is how much it makes everyone around me happy.

ETA: ahh! got it.  Quite brilliant actually, if you know what it means.  And now I do!!
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 03:20:21 PM by Bakari »

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1060 on: May 16, 2016, 10:49:23 AM »
Sorry, ETA= edited to add. I feel bad if I go back and edit something, the edit tag is there, and people don't know what I changed. Personality quirk? Probably.

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1061 on: May 16, 2016, 10:54:18 AM »
Dear everyone, especially but not at all limited to Bakari and JoRocka: you guys kick so much ass.

<3

Thank you for keeping this thread awesome.

I went to NYC this past weekend and only worked out beyond walking once (but got to do it at a fancy gym for free thanks to classpass!). But we averaged 8 miles a day of walking, so I consider that enough of a workout.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1062 on: May 16, 2016, 01:30:13 PM »
[

Glad to have you here Eric!! I've got you added to the tracking post. Is that seriously 300 crunches?

For those of you who don't know, Eric is a damn rockstar who has completely switched up his life over this past year(ish). He's rocking the biking, parenting, and other awesomeness.
Awww, shucks. :)  Yes, that is seriously 300 crunches.  I have these memories of what high school Eric was capable of...so I'll reach for that!

jordanread

« Reply #1063 on: May 16, 2016, 03:35:37 PM »
Aeryn, I've got your goal crossed off (with prejudice) in the tracking post. Kicking ass! And yes, obstacle courses are a blast. Next year I'll probably do a few, like Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, (maybe) Spartan, 02X summit challenges, and the GoPro Mountain Run. There are plenty here.

Oh, and Bakari (and others interested in ANW style stuff) I just learned that there is both a Wolf Pack tour, and a generic Ninja Qualifier in Longmonth (MMM HQ).

I don't know how useful the site is since I just checked my state, but Mud Run Guide seems like a nice collection of events for the year. If it works for others, I'll add it to the resource post.
Once I get into the OCR's more I might head out your direction to do a few since Colorado has so many Nebraska doesn't. Spartan was just out there last weekend

I checked out the Mud Run Guide and it has about half the ones on my list (and one isn't technically a mud run, it's this) and a few I didn't know about

I don't think I'm doing any of them until next year, but definitely hit me up if you are in this area/state. I'll throw it on the resource post soon.

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1064 on: May 16, 2016, 03:39:00 PM »
Progress so far (one week in):

-negative chinups done 5/7 days
-2/3 days of doing beginner pullup exercises
-3/3 runs completed, two at target pace and one significantly slower (blergh)

So, mixed.  In my defense, I spent the weekend feeling somewhat under the weather so took "off" from most exercise (except for the lousy run).

Having now posted that, I'm going to go put up the pullup bar and get going on today's negatives!

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1065 on: May 17, 2016, 09:51:34 AM »
Bakari- you're my hero this weekend. Seriously. that's awesome.

I felt the same way from your last set of pictures, and the accompanying comment

Just an FYI...  For those concerned ed.  Heavy lifting does not make you bulky...  It makes you sexy.

Reminded me of my essay on women, physical strength, and feminism from a fer years back. You'd make another excellent example.

Oh, and also the female engineer who could pass for a fitness model... not what I think most people envision when they think of a woman with a nerdy, "manly" job!

Bakari kicked my ass in the fabulous department this weekend I stayed home and got drunk!

Only one day a year though.  I get the impression that fabulous is just a way of life for you!

The toes were pretty bad immediately after, but my knee had me hobbling around the rest of the day and I still can't raise my arms above shoulder level without pain today.  Totally worth it.

I'm not sure I could do a 135lb front squat without falling over.  Your ripply back muscles belong right there with Jo and Yogi showing that strength can come in a sexy feminine package!!

ETA =? Estimated Time of Arrival? 
Anyway, yeah, a lot of the fun for me is how much it makes everyone around me happy.

ETA: ahh! got it.  Quite brilliant actually, if you know what it means.  And now I do!!

#nerdsforlife- I'm also an engineer. ;)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1066 on: May 18, 2016, 05:51:55 AM »
I down about 30 lbs this year as of these photos a few weeks ago. I've actually lost a few more since. I find 1.5 lbs a week to be about a perfect amount of weight loss for me. It's funny that even though I've lost the weight, I get comments at the gym randomly that I'm looking "really big" even though I'm technically quite a bit smaller lol.

I've been trying to focus more on strength for the first time probably since high school. Before I had just been doing high volume bodybuilding type workouts.

My current bests (haven't maxed out) are 275x9 on bench, 315x8 on squat, and 415x10 on deadlift. I've always hated deadlift and thus never done it. Just accessory lifts like rack pulls and such. A few weeks ago my first time doing deadlift in several years I did 405x10, so I think I have a lot of room to grow there.

I'd like to get to a 2x body weight bench press, 2.5x squat, and 3x deadlift. I was 188 lbs this morning and can't see myself losing a whole lot more weight. Maybe to 180-185 max. We'll see.

jordanread

« Reply #1067 on: May 18, 2016, 06:05:07 AM »
Kicking ass U2BT!! One day, I might have abs.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1068 on: May 18, 2016, 09:55:44 AM »
I down about 30 lbs this year as of these photos a few weeks ago. I've actually lost a few more since. I find 1.5 lbs a week to be about a perfect amount of weight loss for me. It's funny that even though I've lost the weight, I get comments at the gym randomly that I'm looking "really big" even though I'm technically quite a bit smaller lol.

I've been trying to focus more on strength for the first time probably since high school. Before I had just been doing high volume bodybuilding type workouts.

My current bests (haven't maxed out) are 275x9 on bench, 315x8 on squat, and 415x10 on deadlift. I've always hated deadlift and thus never done it. Just accessory lifts like rack pulls and such. A few weeks ago my first time doing deadlift in several years I did 405x10, so I think I have a lot of room to grow there.

I'd like to get to a 2x body weight bench press, 2.5x squat, and 3x deadlift. I was 188 lbs this morning and can't see myself losing a whole lot more weight. Maybe to 180-185 max. We'll see.

Nice work! I bet the accessory stuff has really helped your deadlift, rack pulls are great. You could easily (and probably already have) hit the 300/400/500  strength standard for bench/squat/dead if you're repping where you currently are. And you're looking super lean! Looks like you have good genetics for vascularity too.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1069 on: May 18, 2016, 10:03:10 AM »
... Looks like you have good genetics for vascularity too.

yes- that.   of course that.

I selfish need more pictures to come to the same conclusion.

#shameless

jordanread

« Reply #1070 on: May 18, 2016, 10:20:31 AM »

When you say high volume bodybuilding and not strength, do you mean exercises that were focused on leanness and looks? It sounds like that's what you mean, I just want to be sure.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1071 on: May 18, 2016, 10:55:18 AM »
Yogi I'd imagine I'm there. Since I am just starting now to go heavier and less reps (4-8) my strength falls off quicker than what 1 rep max calculators tell me. My workout is very interesting I am doing a 2 day split but have 6 different workouts. Working out 3-4 days a week, so I hit everything once to twice a week. Every time I repeat a workout, I aim to do the same weight and increase it by a rep, or go up 5 lbs and do the same reps. I've been doing this a few months and my wife and I have both been able to beat our previous weight or rep every workout.

As I have done in the past, and strongly believe in for my training, body type, etc, I have gone back in forth between high volume (I.e 16 sets of chest on chest day, 24 sets legs on leg day, etc) vs very few sets at extreme intensity, which is what I'm doing now.

So right now I do one exercise per muscle group in each workout, and hit 5 muscle groups a workout (2 day split).  So say on flat bench I'll warm up with 135x15, 205x8, 265x4. Then is my actual all out to 100% failure set. So my last set will be 275 til failure (9-10 reps) then I will rest for 15 seconds, and do 275 til failure (3-4 reps) then immediately strip the bar down to 185 til failure (around 12-15 reps) then I do the same for shoulders, triceps, etc. it's beyond a soul sucking experience but it's great. The variations I've done in the past have been great as well, but this is my first time tracking weights and trying to really increase strength. Here's my current split.

Day 1
Biceps - Seated Alternating DB Curls
Forearms - Reverse Curls
Calves - Seated Calf Raises
Quads - Squats (4-8 reps)
Hamstrings - Standing Leg Curls

Day 2
Chest - Flat Barbell Bench (4-8 reps)
Shoulders - Upright Rows - Smith Machine
Triceps - Overhead Tricep push with DB
Back Width - Close Grip Cable Pull Down
Back Thickness - Deadlift (8-12 reps)

Day 3
Biceps - EZ Bar Cable Curls
Forearms - Cable Hammer Curls with Rope
Calves - Standing Calf Raises
Quads - Leg Press
Hamstrings - Stiff Leg Deadlift

Day 4
Chest - Flat Barbell Bench Press (8-12 reps)
Shoulders - Smith Military Press
Triceps - Machine Dips
Back Width - Hammer Strength Underhand Pulldown
Back Thickness - Close Grip T-Bar Rows

Day 5
Biceps - Straight Bar Curls (Free Weight)
Forearms - Barbell Wrist Curls
Calves - Leg Press Calf Raises
Quads - Squats (8-12 reps)
Hamstrings - Lying Leg Curls

Day 6
Chest - Decline Barbell Bench Press
Shoulders - Military Smith Press DB's
Triceps - Lying Tricep Extensions
Back Width - Wide Grip Pull Down
Back Thickness - Deadlift (4-8 reps)

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1072 on: May 18, 2016, 11:47:08 AM »
Yogi I'd imagine I'm there. Since I am just starting now to go heavier and less reps (4-8) my strength falls off quicker than what 1 rep max calculators tell me.

I workout at a powerlifting gym and have seen this a few times whenever bodybuilders join us until they adjust to the training. They are just two different disciplines. Bodybuilders can always smoke the pure powerlifters in high rep work, but just the opposite is usually apparent when maxing out.

I am not at all an expert in programming. By far my least mustachian expense is that I pay a trainer to write mine for me, but I will say I have made massive progress in strength over the past year due to that programming and I never work to failure unless I'm maxing out.

Typically, each week involves one heavy and one speed/rep day on Bench/Squat, with speed deadlifts thrown into the speed squat day (these consist of 10-12 sets of 1-2 reps for each at <75% 1RM, with a focus on form, speed, and explosiveness, plus accessories). Now that I can deadlift 500+ lbs, I only pull heavy once/month (substituting for a heavy squat day), which definitely helps with recovery and so far has not seemed to have slowed my strength gains.

Bench is for higher volume simply because recovery is faster. A typical heavy day, for example, would be 3x3 progressing from 75% to 95% during a cycle, and then 3x5 close grip @ 60-80% and 3x8 legs up wide grip @ 50-70%, and accessories. To reiterate, none of this is my programming, but +200 deadlift, +150 squat and +100 bench in a little over a year feels like pretty good progress to me! :)

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1073 on: May 18, 2016, 04:21:45 PM »
Visiting my parents, and I've really been feeling the weighlifting work I've been doing! Load a 75lb freezer up into a truck alone? No problem! Carry a large cooler full of ice water and meat 1/4 mi across a slippery dock and up a ramp so steep I have to take off my shoes to stay on it? Awesome, didn't even take a break! And more to the point, I took multiple trips doing this- packed the entire bed of a pickup, alone, in the rain, with lots of food and camping gear, in less than half an hour. (We thought we would be there longer and had to cut the trip short, so still totally full coolers).

Anyway, while I can't exactly work on my fitness goals during my visit, I can at least appreciate the yield of my past efforts. (Not to mention wearing a bikini a couple times a day and having some ab definition is a pretty nice feeling too! But I'm far more proud of the functional than the aesthetic).

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1074 on: May 18, 2016, 04:28:16 PM »
Visiting my parents, and I've really been feeling the weighlifting work I've been doing! Load a 75lb freezer up into a truck alone? No problem! Carry a large cooler full of ice water and meat 1/4 mi across a slippery dock and up a ramp so steep I have to take off my shoes to stay on it? Awesome, didn't even take a break! And more to the point, I took multiple trips doing this- packed the entire bed of a pickup, alone, in the rain, with lots of food and camping gear, in less than half an hour. (We thought we would be there longer and had to cut the trip short, so still totally full coolers).

Anyway, while I can't exactly work on my fitness goals during my visit, I can at least appreciate the yield of my past efforts. (Not to mention wearing a bikini a couple times a day and having some ab definition is a pretty nice feeling too! But I'm far more proud of the functional than the aesthetic).

Life PR! :D ;)

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1075 on: May 18, 2016, 06:44:25 PM »
Yogi I'd imagine I'm there. Since I am just starting now to go heavier and less reps (4-8) my strength falls off quicker than what 1 rep max calculators tell me.

I workout at a powerlifting gym and have seen this a few times whenever bodybuilders join us until they adjust to the training. They are just two different disciplines. Bodybuilders can always smoke the pure powerlifters in high rep work, but just the opposite is usually apparent when maxing out.

I am not at all an expert in programming. By far my least mustachian expense is that I pay a trainer to write mine for me, but I will say I have made massive progress in strength over the past year due to that programming and I never work to failure unless I'm maxing out.

Typically, each week involves one heavy and one speed/rep day on Bench/Squat, with speed deadlifts thrown into the speed squat day (these consist of 10-12 sets of 1-2 reps for each at <75% 1RM, with a focus on form, speed, and explosiveness, plus accessories). Now that I can deadlift 500+ lbs, I only pull heavy once/month (substituting for a heavy squat day), which definitely helps with recovery and so far has not seemed to have slowed my strength gains.

Bench is for higher volume simply because recovery is faster. A typical heavy day, for example, would be 3x3 progressing from 75% to 95% during a cycle, and then 3x5 close grip @ 60-80% and 3x8 legs up wide grip @ 50-70%, and accessories. To reiterate, none of this is my programming, but +200 deadlift, +150 squat and +100 bench in a little over a year feels like pretty good progress to me! :)

Yeah I'm sure there are definitely better more programmed and mathematical ways of increasing strength, I just have to desire to do any of those programs at this moment. Right now since I'm typically lifting 3 days a week (occasionally 4) I either train lower body twice a week or upper twice a week, but usually not both. Couple that with 4 days of rest and it gives me time to recover (lots of glutamine helps too).

Here's my growth on my program so far:
March 18th (first day starting)
Squats 265x8
May 9th (last time I squatted)
315x8

March 24th (first day doing flat barbell bench)
255x10
May 4th
275x9

I can't say for deadlift since I just started but my first time back at it was April 26th 405x10 then again May 11th for 415x12.

Other lifts have gone up similarly. I expect the raise to slow down soon as it always spikes up when you start something new.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1076 on: May 19, 2016, 07:02:47 AM »

exactly- the goals are completely different.   It makes me laugh when people "shun" lifters who sit between sets and play on their phone.

OH really- tell me how much time you need between 5 x 3 sets at 80-85% of your single rep max?  Resting is important. If you're lifting for strength- you rarely lift over 6 reps.

A really REALLY nice program is PHAT- which has a nice push pull split for strength and then hypertrophy days.  I really am interested in doing it- but I just cannot support a 5 day a week lift schedule consistently. I could do it for a few weeks- but right now I run 12 week programming- and I just- couldn't do sustain that b/c it would require significantly less sleep.

But for those who want something that hits both- I would HIGHLY recommend PHAT.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1077 on: May 20, 2016, 09:05:31 PM »
Have not been very active on this thread due to my lack luster fitness routine but I have been reading along feeling equally shamed and encouraged. This was one of my best weeks yet-

Sat - Warrior Dash 5K
Sun - Relax
Mon - Lift weights, some cargo biking
Tue - Hard day at construction, demo/carrying
Wed - Dug 18 hole sin the ground and carried a ton (literally) of concrete around to the back of a house
Thur - 11 mile mountain bike ride
Fri - Lift Weights

Hoping to keep it going now, and here is a Warrior Dash pic just for fun:

jordanread

« Reply #1078 on: May 20, 2016, 09:19:35 PM »
I don't see a pic.
Eta... It might just be my phone. I'll check in the morning on the computer.

It's working for me now. That looks awesome! You have a good time?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2016, 09:32:58 PM by jordanread »

prefixcactus

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1079 on: May 21, 2016, 01:32:23 AM »
    The problem with setting my goals here is that almost never having exercised properly before I've no idea how easy or hard achieving them might be and how long it will take. So I'll post a progression:
    Pullups:
    • tier 0 (right now): 15x inverse (i.e. get myself up, then descend slowly)
    • tier 1: 25x inverse
    • tier 2: the first proper pullup of my life!
    • tier 3: three pullups
    • tier 4: 6 pullups
[li[tier 5: 10 pullups[/li]
[/list]
Cycling:
  • tier 0: 19.2 kph average speed over my 18.8km commute. Hold that.
  • tier 1: 20+ kph
  • tier 2: 22+ kph
  • tier 3: 22+ over 25km
  • tier 4: 24+ over 30km
  • tier 5: never dip below 25kph when on the road (barring obstacles&traffic lights, of course) over 30km

I'd also like to get started with weight lifting, but I don't know where to get a good beginner's program
« Last Edit: May 21, 2016, 01:34:37 AM by prefixcactus »

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1080 on: May 21, 2016, 06:36:33 AM »
That looks awesome! You have a good time?

Yeah it was really fun!

We have been having an insanely wet Spring here so the trail degraded really quickly. Between that and the fact I was running with DW the Warrior Dash turned into a bit of a Warrior Walk at some points, but obstacles were still cool and a nice unique day outside.

Still debating if I want to do the Spartan at the end of August. It's much harder and I'd do it by myself. May choose to allocate my time/discretionary funds to a Mtn Bike event I like instead.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1081 on: May 21, 2016, 06:55:27 AM »

Yeah it was really fun!

We have been having an insanely wet Spring here so the trail degraded really quickly. Between that and the fact I was running with DW the Warrior Dash turned into a bit of a Warrior Walk at some points, but obstacles were still cool and a nice unique day outside.

Still debating if I want to do the Spartan at the end of August. It's much harder and I'd do it by myself. May choose to allocate my time/discretionary funds to a Mtn Bike event I like instead.
Is the Spartan similar to Tough Mudder?  I did a Warrior dash a few years ago.  Those are a lot of fun!

jordanread

« Reply #1082 on: May 21, 2016, 09:31:51 AM »
http://www.mensfitness.com/training/which-obstacle-race-right-you

It appears my completely non research ideas about the races is correct. It looks like they're both difficult, except that Tough Mudder focuses a lot more on teamwork and collaboration while Spartan Race is a lot more individually based. I'm probably going to eventually do them in the following order: Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Spartan Race.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1083 on: May 21, 2016, 05:55:22 PM »
Goals for this year are

Squat: 550 (Current 475)
Bench 365 (Current 315)
Deadlift : 650 (Current 575)

350 pound atlas stone over a 52" bar
Axle clean and press 275

This year I really want to get my self into position to take strongman nationals next year.

use2betrix

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1084 on: May 22, 2016, 01:37:02 PM »
Goals for this year are

Bench 365 (Current 315)

Axle clean and press 275

This year I really want to get my self into position to take strongman nationals next year.

Those are impressive numbers. What's your height and weight?

I want to keep losing weight but I feel like I may be at the point where if I keep losing it'll hinder strength gains.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1085 on: May 22, 2016, 01:54:19 PM »
Goals for this year are

Bench 365 (Current 315)

Axle clean and press 275

I want to keep losing weight but I feel like I may be at the point where if I keep losing it'll hinder strength gains.

Impressive indeed! I am a ways behind that level of strength, but in 1.5-2 years my own hope is to accomplish 525+ squat, 315+ bench, and 650+ deadlift at 6'4" and <242 lbs. I am told that weight is a bit low for my height, but I've always been a skinny dude and I'm not sure I want to blow up much beyond that. I'm a not-especially-lean 215 right now, so I have tons of muscle to gain before I push that number. We'll see how I feel when I get there!

That said, I hear you about weight loss, too. I was only 180 lbs when I started powerlifting a year and a half ago, and have gained over 30 lbs since then by training hard and eating like a maniac. The only problem is I'm sure at least 10-15 lbs of those gains is fat, and my pants are not fitting comfortably any more, which I hate! I really want to cut some fat, but I've been so addicted to the strength gains I'm afraid to do it.

brute

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1086 on: May 22, 2016, 03:26:01 PM »
Goals for this year are

Bench 365 (Current 315)

Axle clean and press 275

Thanks man. I'm a fat powerlifter, 6'4" 302 pounds today. Been lifting for about 3 years now. Started out over 360 many years ago, lost 150 pounds in a year, stayed there for a while, then had a messy breakup and ate my way back up to where I had been under the auspices of "well, the more I eat, the stronger I get"

The good side is I'm 40 pounds lighter than I was 6 months ago, bloodwork is way better, and I'm a little stronger. Looking to hit around 275 then consider if I want to try to add muscle or keep cutting. Dropping fat has increased my speed for strongman, but is making bench gains a pain. Still, better health and cardio endurance will let me have fun longer, so it's worth it.

jordanread

« Reply #1087 on: May 23, 2016, 05:28:53 AM »
Goals for this year are

Bench 365 (Current 315)

Axle clean and press 275

Brute,

I've got you added to the tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet. That atlas stone looks crazy!! Glad to have you here.

The problem with setting my goals here is that almost never having exercised properly before I've no idea how easy or hard achieving them might be and how long it will take.
[...]
I'd also like to get started with weight lifting, but I don't know where to get a good beginner's program

PrefixCactus, we can modify your goals throughout the year. The first year is always a learning experience. Take a look at Jon_Snow's progress from last year, as an example. He roughly estimated some goals, and misjudged how much progress he'd make over the year, and blew all of them away. You can also look at my goals from last year. They almost all would have been easily attainable, except I slacked off and hit almost none of them. I love the progress you've made with the biking pace, so merely a 'maintain 19kph pace' would be a valid goal, with a stretch goal of consistently hitting 20kph. We can always modify them throughout the year, or add new ones as you get your routine locked in. Also, this year I spoke a bit about Journey goals, which aren't necessarily so much about hitting a mile stone, as consistently doing something. You'll see in my goals that I have a goal to just practice the slack line 20X this year, without any guidelines on that goal for the progress. I just need to get out and do it. Then I have another goal that is results based, that may come just by practicing, but may not. The goals are for motivation, benchmarking, and advice, not punishment. I don't know much about weight lifting programs, but Nerd Fitness may have some decent starting ones for you.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1088 on: May 23, 2016, 09:19:20 AM »

Yeah it was really fun!

Is the Spartan similar to Tough Mudder?  I did a Warrior dash a few years ago.  Those are a lot of fun!

Spartan is a little different than Mudder and Warrior Dash in a couple ways -

1. There are three diff lengths - Sprint (3 miles) Super (8 miles) and Beast (12 miles) vs Warrior dash which is always 3 miles and Mudder always 12 miles (though they did recently add a half mudder to some cities)

2. Spartan is timed where the other 2 are more for the sense of completion

3. Mudder and Warrior dash say to just skip an obstacle if you not comfortable with it. Spartan if you can't complete an obstacle you have to do a 30 Burpee "penalty"

4. A lot of the Mudder/Warrior obstacles are just psychological (cold water, heights, confined spaces) where physically almost anyone can/could do them ( I saw plenty of really out of shape people) vs. a lot of Spartan ones require a lot of strength - rope climb, long monkey bars, carrying a 50 pound weighted bucket up a hill, etc.

All fun, but Spartan probably the hardest.

Ok, typing that has me checking out the DC spartan in an other window. Gotta think on it!

http://www.mensfitness.com/training/which-obstacle-race-right-you

It appears my completely non research ideas about the races is correct. It looks like they're both difficult, except that Tough Mudder focuses a lot more on teamwork and collaboration while Spartan Race is a lot more individually based. I'm probably going to eventually do them in the following order: Warrior Dash, Tough Mudder, Spartan Race.

Tough Mudder plays up on the team aspect which I'm sure would be fun but the one I did I ran by myself.

I would say your order is the correct way to go. It's what I did/plan to do. (have not done Spartan yet)

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1089 on: May 24, 2016, 07:12:42 AM »

4. A lot of the Mudder/Warrior obstacles are just psychological (cold water, heights, confined spaces) where physically almost anyone can/could do them ( I saw plenty of really out of shape people) vs. a lot of Spartan ones require a lot of strength - rope climb, long monkey bars, carrying a 50 pound weighted bucket up a hill, etc.

All fun, but Spartan probably the hardest.

I've never been around a Tough Mudder, but I would agree with this from what I've seen at Warrior Dashes (Completed several) and a Spartan race (only volunteered/spectated). The Spartans are much harder, much more physical. Warrior Dashes aren't that tough generally if you are in any kind of shape (or even fairly out of shape as LWTG mentioned. I was pretty out of shape/well overweight the first time we did one and managed to complete all the obstacles). The hardest part of their obstacles are usually just that they are caked in mud and slippery. Still a lot of fun, still a bit of a challenge, but nothing like what I saw at the Spartan race I volunteered at... I was super impressed with the competitors.

Had a great trip to DC with my students. I got a few runs in last week, but nothing else. Walked a TON in DC. Managed to get a nasty cold, hope it doesn't slow me down too much this week, though we will see how running goes tonight.

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1090 on: May 24, 2016, 08:33:48 AM »
Progress check-in:
Biking in May:  225 miles.  I'm toying with the idea of throwing in a few long rides this week just to see if I can hit 300.  Long term goal is still 200. 
Current progress on crunches: Now at 3 sets of 20 standard crunches.  Form has gotten much better.  Next week I'm adding crunches that focus on different groups.
Weight:  Steady at 198-200 lbs.  My body is busy moving weight around.  Legs bigger, belly smaller.  I'm not complaining.   
Minimizing sugar:  Had my bowl of ice cream for the month.  Dates are dangerous things for willpower. 

Notable observation:  My coffee requirements have been cut by greater than 50% over the last month (unintentionally).  I must be sleeping MUCH, MUCH better.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1091 on: May 24, 2016, 11:18:17 AM »
I went to the gym and lifted weights! I took about 10 weeks off from lifting, mostly I lost my motivation and just needed something different, I needed a break. Yesterday after a pretty long day at work I got home and just got that itch so I hopped on my bicycle and rode the 4 miles to the gym and spent an hour lifting. I got in shoulders, squats, deadlifts and glutes. I need another day to hit upper back, chest and some accessory stuff. I think I'll go again on Wednesday.

I went on a bike ride with stops for beer on Saturday, covered 29 miles total (longest stretch was 14.4 miles with a 600ft climb in elevation) and I've never ridden further than 5 miles before this. So that speaks to my overall conditioning and fitness and I'm really happy about that. I hope to do a long ride at least once a month from here on out.

My yoga habit is going strong, I still need to up my frequency but I'm getting there. I regularly am getting compliments on my practice, it always feels good. :) I unintentionally met the commander of the base fitness program, his wife is in the officer's spouses club I'm a member of. He and I chatted about me starting to teach once I get certified in August and he's happy to have me! :D Side gig, here I come.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #1092 on: May 25, 2016, 03:00:03 PM »
I went to the gym for a few hours...a typically intense session that follows a (long) weekend of excess food and drink and not enough exercise. I feel considerable guilt and dissapointment every time this occurs - which, thankfully isn't often - though Lady Snow is very much about doing it once in a while to "get it out of your system". Not sure....I've heard of "cheat days"....but "cheat WEEKENDS"?

My half marathon goal in June may well be in doubt....I tweaked my Achilles' tendon again...on a treadmill no less. I was good at 6.5 mph...then 7.0. Then decided to throw in a sprint of 7.9 mph...POP! Dammit. There is obviously something amiss when I try to lengthen my running stride, as everything seems fine when I keep my stride shorter...with more of a heel strike gait...but when I try to explode off the toes and power with the calves...it's NOT BEEN GOOD. I'll likely give running a break for a bit....thankfully I can keep my cardio level up with the stationary bike, which doesn't affect the Achillles at all...in fact it feels much better after a 30 minute pedal.

Today was particularly fun at the gym...because while I was there the good folks of this forum have been busy plying my Journal with puppy names. :)

AcftW

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1093 on: May 25, 2016, 08:01:07 PM »
It's been quite a while since I checked in here, though I've been lurking still.

A few weeks ago I developed a tightness on the left side of my sternum while doing weighted dips, and it's been affecting my progression in a bad way.  I took a week off after it initially happened, but it's still there even when I deload entirely and use only bodyweight.  I'm pretty sure I pushed for more weight too quickly and am now paying the price.  Good news is, no other chest exercises are affected, so I've been doing more push-ups to try and make up for dips.

I've also been doing high volume deadlift sessions instead of the usually 3x3 I had been.  I dropped the weight significantly and started doing 10x3 (setsxreps).  It feels great, and I've gotten back to basics regarding form. 

Flyingkea

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1094 on: May 27, 2016, 08:42:03 PM »
Just found this thread, and know I need to get in on the action.
Right now, I'm couch potato - I walk my son (21 months old) to the park frequently, and chase him around the house, but that is very much the extent of my exercise. Oh and I take him to swimming lessons once a week.

So I curently have a rather vague goal of get fitter.
Why?
Because I want to model a healthy lifestyle for my son,
So I have an outlet for anxiety energy (which will help mental health)
So I like what I see in the mirror a bit more
So I have more energy and am overall healthier.

Now this may be a little excusitis, but I am moving interstate in a couple of months so right now gyms with their contracts are out, until I get to Broome. I do find I do better in group activities - I used to go to the gym, and use the equipment there, but never felt like I was achieving anything. I really want to get into some form of martial art (I used to do judo) and get into some kind of water sport. (Maybe kayaking.)
So I was wondering what tips people have for 1) getting started and 2) exercising with a toddler? (I don't get time away from him.)

Eric222

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1095 on: May 28, 2016, 06:44:44 AM »
So I curently have a rather vague goal of getting fitter.
 I do find I do better in group activities - I used to go to the gym, and use the equipment there, but never felt like I was achieving anything. I really want to get into some form of martial art (I used to do judo) and get into some kind of water sport. (Maybe kayaking.)
So I was wondering what tips people have for 1) getting started and 2) exercising with a toddler? (I don't get time away from him.)
Disclaimer: These are all things that I've done, but I'm more of a loner when it comes to exercise.

If you are willing/interested in running, I used to use a running stroller with DS.  He loved it.  To get started using something like the couch to 5k program is supposed to work pretty well. 

Going to the pool with your toddler is actually a surprising amount of effort/work.  They wear a life-vest, and you push/follow them around the pool as long as you can/they are having fun.  It can be EXHAUSTING and is a surprisingly good workout.  This is good especially if he already doing swimming lessons.  Also, any chance you can swim laps a bit during his lessons?  (Note to self:  I need to start swimming this summer..)

Do you have a bike?  There are a few options - you can get affordable stands that will convert your regular bike into a stationary bike (super dull though, but easy to do during nap time).  Biking outside, similar to the bike stroller, you can get a toddler carrier to pull him along behind you. 

These aren't specifically group activities, but there are possibly running groups in your area (try meetup.com) where there are all different paces of runners (their will probably be people doing Cto5K) and no one will complain about you bringing a toddler in a running stroller.  You could also look for groups of people to bike with.  In my experience, these groups always have a very wide spread in terms of ability/speed, so you'll usually have someone at about your pace.  (I may be spoiled living in a big city). 

Also, if you know other parents, maybe you could convince some of them to do these things with you.

Is there a martial arts place (dojo?) where you could get temporary kid care? 

Good luck!

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1096 on: May 28, 2016, 10:23:08 AM »

1) Don't have experience with a toddler, although the jogging stroller idea could work well, as would things like the squat challenge, which can easily be done at home. Grab a few dumbells and a kettlebell and you can do quite a few exercises on your own.

2) As someone who went from 6+ years of doing little to no exercise to feeling antsy when I miss a day at the gym, in my experience the first and most important step is pushing through the unfun first couple months and establishing routine. Once exercise is a routine, it gets easier, but it's still critically important to give in as little as possible on those days you're feeling unmotivated, as backsliding can be easy when the routine is still not very ingrained (you'll always be glad you worked out anyway).

I can only speak for myself, but over time I transitioned from forcing the workouts (and not particularly enjoying them), to habitually working out (occasionally having to push through low motivation), to really really enjoying working out and, as I said, feeling weird if I miss a day. The prospect of toiling for years before you're really fit can be daunting, but it gets exponentially easier and more fun the further down that road you travel.

I am also a big fan of specific goals (e.g. running a 5k without ever walking, deadlifting 200 lbs, whatever). Don't be too ambitious with the first one, but make it a slight stretch. It is so satisfying to meet a goal and doing so never fails to make me get even more ambitious with the next one. Good luck. We're here for you!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 10:25:39 AM by Lagom »

cats

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1097 on: May 28, 2016, 03:47:06 PM »
 I do find I do better in group activities - I used to go to the gym, and use the equipment there, but never felt like I was achieving anything. I really want to get into some form of martial art (I used to do judo) and get into some kind of water sport. (Maybe kayaking.)

Do you have a bike?  There are a few options - you can get affordable stands that will convert your regular bike into a stationary bike (super dull though, but easy to do during nap time). 

Just wanted to chime in to say I have my road bike on a stand right now and have been using it to get some exercise in while my baby naps.  It is effective.  I recommend fast paced music and some kind of interval scheme (alternating between easy/moderate/hard pedaling) to make it less boring. 

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1098 on: May 28, 2016, 04:08:23 PM »
Pretty excited to report I've been working out an average of 6 hours/week (+ my daily 30-60 minutes of bike commuting) for 5 months now! Definitely feeling stronger. As I'm about to change jobs and the seasons change, I'm focusing on three key changes:
  • Start running more again. Been super lazy about this as I've been doing an hour class every day and then I get unexcited about running. My cardio conditioning is lacking because of slacking on running.
  • More outside time. Thanks to classpass, I kept working out through the dark and rain, but I'm aiming for some outside running and kayaking.
  • Building flexibility. One of my goals for this year is getting my splits back - I'm still a long way off.

In other news, I'm going to my first yoga class ever tonight. Never thought I'd consider yoga as it seems too woo-woo and cultural-appropriation-y, but it's free on classpass and I think I might need some structured stretching/relaxing time. I'm trying Moda yoga which is like a "relaxed Bikram" according to the internet. If I hate it I never have to go again.

I've been a bit of a lurker lately on this thread but I gotta say I love reading about all your adventures and goals!

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1099 on: May 29, 2016, 10:40:14 PM »

Do you have a bike?  There are a few options - you can get affordable stands that will convert your regular bike into a stationary bike (super dull though, but easy to do during nap time). 

Just wanted to chime in to say I have my road bike on a stand right now and have been using it to get some exercise in while my baby naps.  It is effective.  I recommend fast paced music and some kind of interval scheme (alternating between easy/moderate/hard pedaling) to make it less boring.

And super effective apparently. Mathew Hayman won the Paris-Roubaix race this year on the back of a serious injury (a broken arm 6 weeks before the race) and pretty much only being able to use the trainer for that period due to his injury - can't change gears or brake, but can sit and pedal. Not a bad recommendation for a road bike on a trainer.

I must concur with the boring part though...