Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2016  (Read 350240 times)

jordanread

Re: Strength & Fitness 2016
« Reply #1000 on: May 10, 2016, 12:59:20 PM »
quick question- posting pictures is it a standard bracket IMG bracket set up?

Yup, as long as it's hosted somewhere with a URL. If it's just local, you can use the attachment function to upload it.

jordanread

« Reply #1001 on: May 10, 2016, 01:00:57 PM »
And I just read something in Bracken Joy's journal that really made me feel great about how this thread (and participants) are progressing.

Wow that's hardcore.

What is hardcore?

The picture of your back. That's awesome. And that thread is looking like a fitness magazine.

meerkat

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1002 on: May 10, 2016, 01:07:59 PM »
I was planning on doing a progress photo too...will have to show off how fucking inflexible I still am.

I don't have a progress photo yet but I finally took a "before" picture this morning, so that's something.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1003 on: May 11, 2016, 06:50:58 AM »
quick question- posting pictures is it a standard bracket IMG bracket set up?

Yup, as long as it's hosted somewhere with a URL. If it's just local, you can use the attachment function to upload it.

cool beans. let me work on this.
I need to get logged in on my phone- I'm trying to do all this via my work computer- which I never keep fitness stuff on really. Lulz. So yeah.
I'm a picture junkie- I use instagram a lot- otherwise I just look like a vain post whore putting my pictures all the time.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1004 on: May 11, 2016, 06:56:48 AM »
Step one.  Test attachment option.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1005 on: May 11, 2016, 06:59:11 AM »
Final push through my bulk.  I officially ended in March.

andy85

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1006 on: May 11, 2016, 07:48:45 AM »
Ugh, tweaked my back on a heavy deficit deadlift today. Dropped the bar as soon as I felt a twinge but it's pretty stiff and sore now. Hopefully just a muscle strain. I was feeling really good before that and I'm afraid I let my technique get sloppy. Not the wisest approach when pulling 495lbs! :(

Hah, a few weeks ago, literally the day after I was posting to JoRocka about SI joint issues....I was doing straight-legged deadlifts in the gym, like I've been doing for 15 years.  Only 315lbs which is a pretty normal after-warmup-set weight and  OH SHIT I felt like I was in the process of tearing every single lower back muscle in my body.  Immediately dropped weight but it was too late - sat down on the bench, got pale and my wife came back from the drinking fountain and was like what happened?  Told her my workout was done and it was time to leave.

Two days later I couldn't walk, stand, get out of bed...anything.  Went to ER but no disk issues which was what I was worried about.  Turns out it was SI strain and I had to use a cane to get around for a week.  Getting better now but still not doing any leg workouts. 

Anyway, kinda funny it had to happen then, I've never had a LB injury.  Def by far the worst bodybuilding injury of any kind I've experienced to date.  Will be nerve-wracking doing squats and DLs again just waiting for something like that to recur.

Hope you heal better than me.

About 2 years ago i was doing friggin warm-up deadlifts...only had 135lbs on the bar warming up (was probably deadlifting over 300 at the time) 5th rep or so and i collapsed to the floor in a heap of pain. I was at the gym at my work on a saturday so nobody was here...i just laid there for like 20 minutes...couldnt move. Finally managed to drag my sorry broken ass out to my car. got home and laid on the floor for the rest of the night. think i literally had to crawl to the bathroom. pretty much impossible walking for a day after that. Was diagnosed with 2 compressed discs in my lower back and some SI joint inflammation.

Haven't squated or deadlifted since. Anytime i try to go even moderately heavy on RDLs or something, it flares up again pretty bad, so i have just come to terms with the fact that i will never be the elite powerlifter i dreamed of (major sarcasm). still sucks...heavy squats and deads were always fun....now i have just relagated myself to leg press, hamstring curls, extensions, and lunges. oh well. Still get a stiff lower back like always and can even regularly pop my SI joint now. good stuff.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1007 on: May 11, 2016, 08:55:40 AM »
JoRocka, I'm on my computer or I'd post the heart eyes emoji! Gorgeous work lady!

jordanread

« Reply #1008 on: May 11, 2016, 09:05:23 AM »
JoRocka, photos showed up perfectly, and you are definitely being fabulous. How are you doing now, as opposed to at the end of your bulk?

I still haven't got on the slackline this year, but I'm not stressing too much about it since I set a pretty low bar for myself. However, due to looking around as the SO and I embark on this super fun AcroYoga experiment, I just found YogaSlackers, who do yoga on a freaking slackline (they also do some crazy awesome acroyoga)!! So even though the meditative aspects of yoga aren't quite on my radar yet, the way things appear to be progressing means that maybe yoga is going to play a large part of my life and fitness. I still don't quite think regular (boring ) yoga will be anything but a foundational thing to make yoga slacklining and acroyoga more fun. We'll see how it goes.

JoRocka, I'm on my computer or I'd post the heart eyes emoji! Gorgeous work lady!

Just put emoji7 in brackets, and you can do it on a computer.

big_owl

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #1009 on: May 11, 2016, 09:23:31 AM »
Hope you heal better than me.

About 2 years ago i was doing friggin warm-up deadlifts...only had 135lbs on the bar warming up (was probably deadlifting over 300 at the time) 5th rep or so and i collapsed to the floor in a heap of pain. I was at the gym at my work on a saturday so nobody was here...i just laid there for like 20 minutes...couldnt move. Finally managed to drag my sorry broken ass out to my car. got home and laid on the floor for the rest of the night. think i literally had to crawl to the bathroom. pretty much impossible walking for a day after that. Was diagnosed with 2 compressed discs in my lower back and some SI joint inflammation.

Haven't squated or deadlifted since. Anytime i try to go even moderately heavy on RDLs or something, it flares up again pretty bad, so i have just come to terms with the fact that i will never be the elite powerlifter i dreamed of (major sarcasm). still sucks...heavy squats and deads were always fun....now i have just relagated myself to leg press, hamstring curls, extensions, and lunges. oh well. Still get a stiff lower back like always and can even regularly pop my SI joint now. good stuff.

Well so far it sounds like I do.  As far as I can tell I'm totally healed now, did 225lb squats pretty easily without pain last week so maybe I'll do 315lbs this week and see how that goes before going higher.  it's been kinda fun squatting light with high reps, it's a lot easier mentally and a shorter recovery time. 

Too bad about your injury, those nagging ones that become permanent are the worst.  Unfortunately they don't seem to get any better with age :(  And it always seems like they happen at the most unexpected time.  My worst shoulder injury ever was randomly in my living room when I was doing a bodyweight pushup go figure.

It's crazy how hard it is just to stand with an SI injury.  I never realized how much it was involved just to stand still.  I was even using my cane in the shower just to keep upright.  Then a week later, poof, all was ok.  Weird stuff. 

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1010 on: May 11, 2016, 10:12:53 AM »

thank you thank you!

JoRocka, photos showed up perfectly, and you are definitely being fabulous. How are you doing now, as opposed to at the end of your bulk?
I'm rolling along- back down to 16something (last weigh in I was like 167- which felt really high considering how tiny I've gotten.

But I do my final "work weight loss competition" weigh in on Friday. I've upped the cardio- dropping salt and water- hoping maybe I can dump the last 5-8 pounds of water weigh in these last 3 days and maybe come in 2nd place and recoup my entry fee.

I feel pretty good over all- I mean weak- b/c cutting- but I haven't had to dump weight off my scheduled lifts generally speaking- they just feel REALLY heavy. Like- even weight that shoudlnt' be THAT heavy feels heavy.

But I'm working and going.
So I started around 160-163- height of my bulk was 182 and then March I started cutting- so I'm practically down to pre- bulk weight.
I'm getting married in September- I'd like to be a solid 150- depending on fitting the dress (I start going for fittings in July I think) so- we'll see- I won't tinker once I start going for fittings- so I'll do the best I can for the next 1.5-2 months and call it a day and just maintain.

I was supposed to take updated comparison pictures- but it was really rainy this weekend- and I prefer a healthy dose of natural lighting in my kitchen- so I ONLY do them saturday/sunday morning- and with the rain- and clouds- it was shit. So hopefully this week I'll get some updated shots- my chest/pec is looking REALLY tidy- but my ass is what's holding weight. <shocker>
Hopefully this weekend I'll have some updates!
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 10:14:44 AM by JoRocka »

monstermonster

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #1011 on: May 11, 2016, 10:52:36 AM »
Final push through my bulk.  I officially ended in March.

Daaaaayyyyyummm Gurl.

*eye flutter*

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #1012 on: May 11, 2016, 11:07:14 AM »
Kayaked 29.6km yesterday. I knew I should have better strength (to paddle faster) and endurance (to paddle further) going into paddling season this season...but my expectations have been blown away. To be able to crank out 30km in May...well these are uncharted waters for me (completely unintentional pun BTW).;) Yeah, there is some lingering muscle fatigue that doesn't bode well for my upper torso weight routine starting in about an hour...but I am already wondering what my limit for a one-day paddling distance might be. I think I need to plan something suitably epic for July. I do have a semblance of a plan forming. I just have to say...to essentially have a "new body" is pretty exhilarating...and increasingly it has made the blood/sweat/tears shed to get here more than worth it.

2016 paddling challenge: 72.9/500km

Here is a pic (from my GoPro mounted on my kayak...this is the first time I've ever faced it toward the cockpit...a great way to critique my paddling form) from yesterday's trip...as you can see, the day was as glorious as it gets in the PNW in Spring...and as a bonus, the light and shadows give a little glimpse of some decent shoulder/tricep definition. :) The paddle was a particularly magical one...the non-fitness related aspects might be detailed in my Journal...soonish. :)

« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:42:49 AM by Jon_Snow »

jordanread

« Reply #1013 on: May 11, 2016, 01:24:53 PM »
Kayaked 29.6km yesterday. I knew I should have better strength (to paddle faster) and endurance (to paddle further) going into paddling season this season...but my expectations have been blown away. To be able to crank out 30km in May...well these are uncharted waters for me (completely unintentional pun BTW).;) Yeah, there is some lingering muscle fatigue that doesn't bode well for my upper torso weight routine starting in about an hour...but I am already wondering what my limit for a one-day paddling distance might be. I think I need to plan something suitably epic for July. I do have a semblance of a plan forming. I just have to say...to essentially have a "new body" is pretty exhilarating...and increasingly it has made the blood/sweat/tears shed to get here more than worth it.

JS, I can't wait for the write up in your Journal. I also love the fact that you pretty much constantly surprise yourself, and while my journey isn't as awe inspiring as yours, I feel the same way too. Have you experimented with any other positions for the GP on your kayak? That video we discussed in your journal had the pole looking down and stuff. Just curious.

Also, if we are going to post grabs from our GoPros, here are some grabs from the AcroYoga session the SO and I did last night. It's odd that my stomach looks better just standing up than laying on my back. Weird gravity. And we did our first flow last night too (that is apparently what a routine is called). It wasn't pretty, but it worked. Not bad considering that we've only actually done 6 sessions based on videos and articles. What do you all think?

P.S. I know my legs aren't straight, hamstrings are ridiculously tight, but I'm getting there.

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1014 on: May 11, 2016, 01:31:53 PM »
Skied the Bday tour backcountry on Saturday, Sunday mt. biked

Monday lunch - the weight room.  start with 6 way complex: 80 lb - 6 snatch, 6 overhead snatch, 6 good mornings, 6 back squat, 6 bent over rows, 6 good mornings - x 3 sets.
--(6 lunges both sides with 80 lbs.  6 weighted (20lb each hand) hops up to 12 in platform.  6 split jumps) x 6 sets
--Dip/pull up circuit: 10/1 9/2 8/3 7/4 etc.
Cool down

Tuesday after work - mellow indoor climbing gym day - keep at 10c or below

Wednesday - 30 mi bike ride commute RT

I'm 60!!

hudsoncat

• Bristles
« Reply #1015 on: May 12, 2016, 06:30:18 AM »
Everyone is looking awesome! I don't really have any fabulous pictures because I haven't noticed any major changes since the beginning of the year. I do regret not taking true before/after photos of last year's weight loss or I'd post those. 50 pounds was/is a dramatic change on my 5'3" frame. Things I have lately noticed: the pants I'm wearing today fit significantly better than they did just a month ago even though I haven't lost any weight. I have actually lost almost a full inch off my waist since Jan (while being up a couple pounds) and smaller amounts on my hips/chest measurements. I even started noticing the slightest bit of arm definition in the last week or so.

Last week I got back up to speed/planned distance on my runs. I did strength work twice (body weight, upper body and core only, still don't want to overtax the calves before I have too). Swam once. Saturday was graduation (another semester down!) and next week I have my final big work trip of the year (Chaperoning a trip to DC). After that, summer will (hopefully) settle into a nice routine and I plan to get into a more consistent workout routine. Running has been consistent so far in 2016, everything else just kind of gets thrown in if/when it fits and if/when I feel like it.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1016 on: May 12, 2016, 10:19:01 AM »
@jordanread- those are awesome!!! I love it!

jordanread

« Reply #1017 on: May 12, 2016, 10:25:12 AM »
@jordanread- those are awesome!!! I love it!

Thanks! It really is a lot of fun, and a hell of a lot easier than I thought. Although now someone else needs to post a picture. Tapatalk makes the last one the picture over the thread, and it's just a poorly lit leg. Marginally better than being accosted by JS's torso every time, I think, but not great. I should have just left your photos there JoRocka.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
  • Veggie Powered Handyman
    • The Flamboyant Introvert
« Reply #1018 on: May 12, 2016, 10:44:13 AM »
Although now someone else needs to post a picture.

Ok, I'm on it.

The first here was almost exactly a year ago (in St. Lucia)

The second was in January, a few weeks before I joined the thread (that's as much of me as you can see in any picture from that time period, because, January)

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1019 on: May 12, 2016, 10:54:51 AM »
While these two were taken in the few minutes between my last post (above, with "before" pics) and this post I am typing right now.

Saturday, when I'm totally prepared for Bay2Breakers, full costume and everything, I'll post another

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #1020 on: May 12, 2016, 10:59:44 AM »
Well, shit...Bakari has ALMOST convinced me to post some before/after pics too.

Awesome progress man...

jordanread

« Reply #1021 on: May 12, 2016, 11:02:03 AM »
Damn dude!! Awesome. I'll admit I'm a bit disappointed in the lack of boom box,  but I'm assuming that will be in the costumed pic. When I grow up, and want to be a Bakari JS mix.

Awesome progress man...

Another vote for before pics. How many until you give into peer pressure? I can make another thread with a poll if you want.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #1022 on: May 12, 2016, 11:06:04 AM »

Another vote for before pics. How many until you give into peer pressure? I can make another thread with a poll if you want.

I'm actually quite happy if you don't. ;)

jordanread

« Reply #1023 on: May 12, 2016, 11:19:41 AM »

I'm actually quite happy if you don't. ;)

Just being facetious. I will do my best walking the line between friendly ribbing and extreme pressure without crossing it.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1024 on: May 12, 2016, 12:19:11 PM »
I'm massively jealous of your shortie shorts... not going to lie.

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1025 on: May 12, 2016, 12:25:56 PM »
Just an FYI...  For those concerned ed.  Heavy lifting does not make you bulky...  It makes you sexy. 😆

Same body..  Different jobs.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

JoRocka

• Bristles
« Reply #1026 on: May 13, 2016, 07:20:23 AM »
So- I'm officially pre-bulk weight.
Finally weigh in for the weight loss competition- 159.3

so- break down from February- I started my bulk in February- but that wasn't part of the comp obviously.
2.5.16- 172.3
2.19.16- 176.6
3.4.16- 181.5
3.18.16-172.7
4.1.16-168.9
4.15.16-167.6
4.29.16-167.3
5.13.16-159.3

Numbers are struggling a bit- All my lifts take longer- recovery is harder- but I'm still pulling the weights I'm supposed to- which are floating around 70-80% of my 1RPM.
Down side- I shifted to the new block of Sheiko- and it's a TON of lifting- the first cycle is all pretty straight up- Squat/Bench- accessories.

This block is something silly like Squat/Bench/Squat/Bench- accessories. So I'll be glad to get a few more calories back in my system and try to lose weight a little more gradually down to 150.

But anyway- that's my mid month up date- and post weight loss review challenge.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #1027 on: May 13, 2016, 10:33:52 AM »
I think I want to get back down to 160 judging by how I looked in pictures from 2004 but my real goal is to run obstacle course races. I did one back in 2013 that I really enjoyed even though I wasn't prepared. I'm signed up for two next month and want to get to where I can complete a Spartan Race

They are so fun! Doing the Warrior Dash in MD tomm. Have done tough mudder but no Spartan yet.

jordanread

« Reply #1028 on: May 13, 2016, 10:57:58 AM »
Aeryn, I've got your goal crossed off (with prejudice) in the tracking post. Kicking ass! And yes, obstacle courses are a blast. Next year I'll probably do a few, like Tough Mudder, Warrior Dash, (maybe) Spartan, 02X summit challenges, and the GoPro Mountain Run. There are plenty here.

Oh, and Bakari (and others interested in ANW style stuff) I just learned that there is both a Wolf Pack tour, and a generic Ninja Qualifier in Longmonth (MMM HQ).

I don't know how useful the site is since I just checked my state, but Mud Run Guide seems like a nice collection of events for the year. If it works for others, I'll add it to the resource post.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1029 on: May 13, 2016, 12:01:57 PM »
Love it @jorocka!

JordanRead, your acroyoga looks fun!

And everyone else is totally killing it too!

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1030 on: May 13, 2016, 01:51:11 PM »
..............but please no more selfies. Over-sharing

jordanread

« Reply #1031 on: May 13, 2016, 01:58:02 PM »

Not here. It's sharing exactly in line with some goals.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #1032 on: May 13, 2016, 03:15:18 PM »

I'm okay with this...but not until Spartana posts hers. :D

Northwestie

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1033 on: May 13, 2016, 05:47:25 PM »

Ah yea, and some folks THINK they are looking good, but............... Mod Note: Forum Rule #1
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 02:01:57 PM by swick »

jordanread

« Reply #1034 on: May 13, 2016, 05:53:17 PM »

Ah yea, and some folks THINK they are looking good, but...............

If by that, you mean that some folks think they are progressing, you'd be correct. Don't know that it was anything but that. This is a strength and fitness challenge, not a beauty contest.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1035 on: May 14, 2016, 01:57:21 AM »

And some folks THINK they are giving helpful advice but are just coming off as jerks.

FWIW I think everyone looks awesome. Can't wait until I can post suck kick ass pictures

Beat me to it.

Today I found my HRM (missing since March) and reset my 12 months of low HR training plan.

Seems I need accountability with something in writing. Seems I've been a bit slack and lost some fitness as evidenced by my HRM when I'm working at the same pace as I used to. Looks like there's some work to do.

I knew this, but seeing it in black and white hits it home a bit more. 24 weeks to Noosa and at this stage I'll be lucky if I beat my shit time from last year.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1036 on: May 14, 2016, 08:35:18 AM »

Was this targeted? Are you intending to make everyone who has shared progress pictures feel like crap? Because that's what you're doing.

I don't know if you think you're being funny, but it sure as hell isn't coming off that way. It took many pages of building rapport with this group of people for me to feel comfortable sharing a photo like I did, and now you're making me want to take down all my damn posts on here.

Bracken_Joy

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #1037 on: May 14, 2016, 10:15:44 AM »
Visiting my parents out of state right now. Swam several laps in their pool. Man oh man, there is nothing like doing an exercise you haven't done in a year or two to make you feel like you've made exactly zero progress in fitness! I did some freestyle and some breast stroke, and had to take breaks several times to catch my breath. All told, I probably only swam for 15 minutes! Funny how different it is from running or hiking or weight lifting or anything else I do.

Lagom

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1038 on: May 14, 2016, 10:32:42 AM »
Visiting my parents out of state right now. Swam several laps in their pool. Man oh man, there is nothing like doing an exercise you haven't done in a year or two to make you feel like you've made exactly zero progress in fitness! I did some freestyle and some breast stroke, and had to take breaks several times to catch my breath. All told, I probably only swam for 15 minutes! Funny how different it is from running or hiking or weight lifting or anything else I do.

Had to run 3/4 of a mile yesterday to catch a train after a work meeting. This was in SF during rush hour so running was probably at least as fast as trying to call an uber. Got there as they were yelling "all aboard," which saved me an hour of waiting. Also felt like I was going to die as I plopped down in my seat, lol.

Back when I was doing Crossfit, that would have been no problem whatsoever, but I will say shifting my focus entirely to strength gains has definitely affected my conditioning!

jordanread

« Reply #1039 on: May 14, 2016, 11:03:23 AM »

Was this targeted?

It probably was targeted, but not malicious. Granted I can't be sure since it's just words and stuff, but I'd suggest the following.

The target was me, since I'm the only one who actually posted what could be confirmed a selfie. Second, while I know for a fact that I am ruggedly handsome, I also know that rugged handsomeness is an acquired taste that not everyone has acquired. I don't take it personally, and I'm pretty sure I'm the only one where looking good, looking strong, and looking capable is even remotely in question. The rest of you are so comfortably in that zone, if it seemed directed at you, it's almost guaranteed to be a mistake. This is a safe, awesome, and fun place. Keep on being awesome everyone. Except for JoRocka, to whom I'll say continue being fabulous.

Today I found my HRM (missing since March) and reset my 12 months of low HR training plan.

Seems I need accountability with something in writing. Seems I've been a bit slack and lost some fitness as evidenced by my HRM when I'm working at the same pace as I used to. Looks like there's some work to do.

I knew this, but seeing it in black and white hits it home a bit more. 24 weeks to Noosa and at this stage I'll be lucky if I beat my shit time from last year.

Do you want to get a goal on the tracking post related to heart rate? I'm not 100% certain how that would be measured, besides resting heart rate, but I'm sure we can get something 'in writing' for you if you wanted. And a lot can happen in 24 weeks. I'm sure you are capable of getting to the point where you'll stomp last year's time into the ground!!

I have to complete cooking breakfast, but I have a story along the lines of conditioning to share that happened yesterday. I just have to go finish this omelette.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no manís chair.
« Reply #1040 on: May 14, 2016, 11:56:12 AM »
Very diplomatic response to Northwestie there JR. My first interpretation of his comment was that it was an attempt (albeit a poorly executed one) to be funny. If indeed it was meant in a mean spirited way...well, no attempt at diplomacy from me...I'd just as soon offer up a GTFO.

Primm

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1041 on: May 14, 2016, 05:57:00 PM »
J_S, I have a kayak question if you don't mind.

I live at the junction of two rivers (well, within walking distance anyway) and I've been seriously pondering buying a sit-on kayak for paddling. My primary reason for this choice is because they are a bucketload cheaper (can get one 2nd hand for a couple of hundred dollars) than the ones you sit in.

I used to paddle a canoe when I was a kid, but it was a massive big Canadian thing that wouldn't tip if you stood up and danced. Is a sit-on going to work for me, given I haven't paddled in about 25 years? Or would I be better waiting until I can get the funds stashed for a "proper" kayak?

And JR, I'm not sure how you'd measure it either. My training involves sticking to a lower HR and watching my pace get better. It was actually working until I stopped (funny that...). I guess make it about pace rather than HR? How about something like run 5k in less than 35 minutes (I know...).

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1042 on: May 14, 2016, 08:21:21 PM »

Was this targeted?

I guessed, given that mine were the last pictures before the comment, that it was targeted to me.

Given the nature of my clothing, I assumed that the first comment ("over-sharing") was the real crux of the issue.
Some people just aren't comfortable with human skin or bodies or anything with even the vaguest, most indirect hint of sexuality.

The second comment I took as an attempt at deflection, a justification / rationalization for the first comment meant to avoid giving the impression of being uncomfortable.  So I didn't take too much offence.

Of course, all of that could be way off!

Just in case it isn't though, a warning:
you may want to avert your eyes while quickly scrolling past the end of this post, cause I'm about to upload the photo I promised I would in my last post!

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • Horses: for sanity & poverty!
« Reply #1043 on: May 14, 2016, 08:27:35 PM »
Now I'm hoping your boombox is blasting Rhinestone Cowboy!

Everyone else, please keep posting photos whenever you want.  Others are free not to read this thread, and any negative comments say more about them than about you. 

Freeme

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #1044 on: May 15, 2016, 08:24:13 AM »
I have not posted since setting my goals. I've made significant changes to my diet. Eliminated gluten, dairy, sugar, about 95% made from scratch whole foods. Lots of veggies and organic meats. Added some healthy probiotic foods. My goal was to get off my medications and get healthier. I feel better and have reduced my Thyroid medicine by 1/3 after 7 weeks of diet change. I have been on this Px for 15 years with a steady incline of doses. My Dr. said she had never seen lab results change so quickly. I asked her if she felt I could heal my low thyroid and diabetes. She thought it was not something that happens and I am positive I can. She was hesitant to change my medications as dramatically as it needed. I was getting pretty serious symptoms of too high of a dose. Went to a Functional Medical team of Drs. And we are on the right track now to regaining my health. I am very happy with the results have lost about 10 lbs but really feel my weight will come off as my health improves. Also added a nightly relaxation and stretching practice and now love that time and crave it. Funny part is one day I just said that is enough and I'm changing my lifestyle, once I did that the rest has been easy. Most of my change are in the areas of diet and stress response I'm about to add to that increasing movement as my job is sedatary. that's my update.

EngineerYogi

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1045 on: May 15, 2016, 08:56:56 AM »

Was this targeted?

I guessed, given that mine were the last pictures before the comment, that it was targeted to me.

Given the nature of my clothing, I assumed that the first comment ("over-sharing") was the real crux of the issue.
Some people just aren't comfortable with human skin or bodies or anything with even the vaguest, most indirect hint of sexuality.

The second comment I took as an attempt at deflection, a justification / rationalization for the first comment meant to avoid giving the impression of being uncomfortable.  So I didn't take too much offence.

Of course, all of that could be way off!

Just in case it isn't though, a warning:
you may want to avert your eyes while quickly scrolling past the end of this post, cause I'm about to upload the photo I promised I would in my last post!

OMG! Yessss! I love it Bakari!

And see that was the problem with the over share comment, I too felt targeted since I posted a pic of myself in a bikini. Oh well, not everyone is comfortable being fabulous! ;)

jordanread

« Reply #1046 on: May 15, 2016, 10:04:48 AM »

I still can't decide between the voice of a proper british guy with a monocle, or a southern belle. I love the idea of this going through Bakari's head though:

"Oh my. Someone said I over shared. I can't understand why they would have said...Oh drats!! I forgot my hat. I need to rectify this situation immediately!"

Also, I don't know if this is the first time you've done Bay to Breakers since you've been with ILB, but I would really like to know if you two coordinate matching clothes, because that would be amazing!

Plus we need to keep posting photos as Im still waiting on Jordan Read's promised bejeweled g-string photo - although Bakaris us pretty darn awesome ;-).

Hey, don't put your lack of photos on me. That was never part of the agreement . I said I'd post photos like that when I get back to NOLA, which may or may not be this year, but I will do it. Now that a bar is actually set on that style of photos, I've got more work to do. :)

As far as the comment from Northwestie goes, it appears that a Mod though it was a bit too close to a personal attack and addressed it, so we'll leave it at that. This is a safe place, for everyone, including Northwestie. I'm going to operate from the assumption that it was a joke in poor taste, or some other misunderstanding, and not anything malicious, and treat it as such moving forward. Although now I want a shot of this 60 year old rocking a bike up a hill, or doing jump splits (whatever those are), or hanging out on a climbing wall.

tj

• Handlebar Stache
    • Arcadia Power
« Reply #1047 on: May 15, 2016, 09:22:32 PM »
I recently started doing a local 'fitness boot camp" which is roughly $125 for four weeks of four nights a week of an hour of outdoor workouts.  I got tested at the end of the first week a month ago, and when I was re-tested last Thursday, I improved my length of plank, number of sit ups, push ups, burpees and leapfrogs in a minute and slightly cut my time for a mile run. It's felt good to have consistent exercise and have others to work out with / someone to tell me waht to do. I feel like it's $$ well spent. I haven't weighed myself in a while, but I feel like I've probably gained as I haven't been making as much of an effort with my diet.

Bakari

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #1048 on: May 15, 2016, 10:22:24 PM »
I don't know if this is the first time you've done Bay to Breakers since you've been with ILB,
Yes
but I would really like to know if you two coordinate matching clothes, because that would be amazing!
Also yes, (see below)

But for basically the entire 7.2 miles other than that picture, she was the one behind the camera.

A bunch of pics from today are here: https://goo.gl/photos/RmVy24qYdJDa19eh7 (note: two naked people appear among the pictures)
(note that all of the people posing with me are people who asked me to take a picture with them, and ILB took one while that person's friend took theirs)

And a few select moments of video are stitched together here: https://youtu.be/luC0mK-6UEk

On another note:

I haven't been mentioning it throughout, but every picture I've seen so far has been great!  Y'all are one sexy bunch of frugal forum posters.
Also, the numbers that some people post, omg!  All the weights lifted, miles run, and various other things, I'd be hard pressed to do most of them!  Y'all are impressive and motivating - this is the only thread I've really participated in here for about the past two years.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 08:10:57 AM by Bakari »

jordanread

« Reply #1049 on: May 16, 2016, 03:12:24 AM »
Oh man, you weren't kidding when you said 'I go as a stripper so that way wherever I am is a mobile party'. You definitely look pretty beat at the end, but it looks like you both had a blast.

Be forewarned though, some of those photos are most definitely NSFW. :-)