Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2015  (Read 212426 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Strength & Fitness 2015
« Reply #750 on: December 09, 2015, 07:24:15 PM »
I am in for 2016!  I didn't hit all my goals from the beginning of this thread, but did OK.

Last I checked, I was about 4# lighter than at the beginning of the year.  Wanted to lose 8#, so halfway there.  My scale is broken and I'm debating replacing it, but I'll check in with the scale at the gym closer to the end of the month.

I did make lots of improvements in my balance/Bosu ball work and it helped me with my riding. 

I'm not in the running fit form I'd like to be in.  On recent runs I've just felt like I was plodding along, so getting my running mojo back is a goal for me this winter.  I sold my riding horse about six weeks ago after riding 5-6 days a week all summer, and I've been surprised at how much fitness I've lost since then.  Just started riding a friend's horse 2-3 days a week, so hopefully that will mitigate it a bit.

I also just finished a second Whole30 for the year, and want to cruise into 2016 eating 90%+ "clean" though I'm still figuring out exactly how that will look.  Will Whole30 again if I see a need to refocus.

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #751 on: December 10, 2015, 07:35:25 AM »
Goals I set for 2015:

- Get to sub 15% body fat
 - Do 4 out of 5 workouts/week as prescribed by July
 - Consistently stick with Whole30 diet in January and July
 - Modified paleo diet 28 days/month (see above for exception)
 - 15-30 minutes/day - mobility work

Well, I too am a miserable failure. I've gained about 15 lbs, so my BF has gone from around 18% to around 20%. The workout prescriptions have gotten more difficult so I'm only Rx'ing about 3 out of 5. We cut our January Whole 30 short and didn't do one in July. We drank alcohol too often and so didn't stick to our diet 28 days each month. I did manage to do 15 minutes of mobility, but only on days that I make it to the gym (most weekdays). I think I set too many ambitious goals. Need to set 1 or 2, and make them more realistic in 2016.

FrugalLakes

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #752 on: December 10, 2015, 07:43:40 AM »
Fitness goal for 2015, sub 5:00 mile, achieved yesterday! My fitness goal for 2016 is to run a half marathon in less than 1:30.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #753 on: December 14, 2015, 02:36:59 PM »
Some fitness related tidbits...

As can happen at this time of year, the weekend was pretty much a train wreck diet-wise...it began with our Red Wine Friday tradition - usually a bottle bewteen Lady Snow and I - which instead became a bottle EACH. Then Saturday, the first in a gauntlet of parties that I had hoped to navigate with limited damage. Fail. Mulled wine. Rum punch. Wine. Beer. Appy's a plenty. Post-FIRE, my alcohol intake is a fraction of what it used to be...but, introvert that I am, I still find some courage-in-a-bottle to be useful in a crammed house party. That's the excuse I'm running with.

So what does this mean for my Monday workout, which I just returned from? Well, out the door went my usual  Monday weight workout of chest, shoulders, triceps..with some cardio. Instead, 1100 calories burned on the stationary bike and the treadmill. Quite simply, I punished myself properly for the weekend's dietary (mostly liquid) transgressions. My approach to my post-FIRE fitness goals has been all about checks and balances and unfailing accountability. If I choose to "go wild" for a particular weekend, the reaction will be a compensatory increase in my exercise intensity until I feel the necessary price has been paid. Now, today was so HARD that it SHOULD prove to be a sort of deterrent from repeating this in the near future...this should not happen again this coming weekend. But I wouldn't rule out the next one. ;)

Starting to seriously formulate a fitness plan for the new year. Tossing the idea around of doing a full marathon in 2016. Realistically, I should probably just toss this idea into the garbage bin. :) It's not so much the race itself that intimidates...it's the huge commitment of the TRAINING that gives me the most pause.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 02:47:51 PM by Jon_Snow »

jordanread

« Reply #754 on: December 14, 2015, 02:54:20 PM »
Starting to seriously formulate a fitness plan for the new year. Tossing the idea around of doing a full marathon in 2016. Realistically, I should probably just toss this idea into the garbage bin. :) It's not so much the race itself that intimidates...it's the huge commitment of the TRAINING that gives me the most pause.

I do love me some Mulled Wine. But we both know that's a super slippery slope for me. I'm glad you mentioned a fitness plan, though. I realized that while an end goal may be awesome in general, I'm rethinking where I'm at currently, and have thought about making my goals for next year along the lines of "do the weekly workout perfectly 90% of the time", or something like that. For some reason, you remind me of a friend of mine from an old place of work. I know biking isn't your thing, but bear with me, it's ancillary to the story. We had a meetup to see where we all have been, and it wound up turning into an extremely drunken and fun night (not the most fun we've had, but a close second) that wrapped up at around 4:am. My friend (hereafter "Mark") left at 3:30am. His excuse? He had to do the Pikes Peak Cycling Hill Climb at 6:00am!! Did he specifically train for it (like you are talking about in regards to the marathon)? No. Did he do it, and did he complete it in the time allotted? Oh hell yeah (and judging from the amount of shots we did, he was probably still drunk/buzzed). And he's older than you and I (something like 55) and recently recovered from a heart condition that had him on a belt mounted fibrilator to keep his ticker regular.

It's an awesome story, but I think the point is that if you set the goal, you don't necessarily have to train for it. I think kayaking around the island and getting some softcore Orca action, coupled with running up a beach to rescue baby turtles will be more than adequate to get you conditioned for a marathon.

Oh, and for everyone here: I will link to this thread come next year, but I will need you to re-enter your goals in the new thread once created. Don't be insulted if I don't automatically add you to the new one based on comments here (or be insulted now, and get over it by the time I create it).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #755 on: December 14, 2015, 04:20:41 PM »
JR, a big part of my personality is that I am very much a PREPARER. If I decided to do a marathon, I would have little choice but to prepare for it the usual way.

I find myself wondering about my reasons for doing a marathon. To be honest, I'd probably only be doing it for the fact that I could say "I've done one"....not sure if this a good enough reason. ;)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #756 on: December 14, 2015, 05:06:47 PM »
Whoa, dude -- that's some pretty serious cardio!  You're like the modern day version of those guys who used to flog themselves with cat-0-nine-tails or something....

Why don't you train for a half?  Still a significant goal, but more doable. I'm actually thinking (just thinking, mind you, this is not a commmitment) of doing so myself.  Though the fact that running 3 miles was more than enough for me today should probably give me serious pause.  That's why I'm still just thinking.

I felt like I very much deserved to be punished - just like I punished my liver on the weekend. ;)

I've done several half marathons...and that SHOULD be enough...and it probably is. Lhamo, if you decide to do a half consider the one on Whidbey Island. I did it earlier this year...a couple of killer hills, but the surroundings were "Jon Snow Island-like" and quite beautiful.

We could meet up on Whidbey and do the run! I'd bring Lady Snow and maybe you could bring some of your crew...they could join us or just root us on! They have a 10k too, if you prefer that.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #757 on: December 16, 2015, 11:39:36 PM »
I just finished Day 8 of a split challenge and wasn't sure if I've been making any progress, but upon measuring I seem to have shaved another inch off my crotch-to-floor distance - I'm down to 3 inches off the ground! Maybe a last-minute year end success? We'll see!

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #758 on: December 18, 2015, 05:24:16 AM »
Here were my goals in 2015:

Complete 1 pullup
Body fat between 20-25%
Swim multiple freestyle laps (Metric TBD - PR 2)
10,000 steps/day average
4X/week exercise (2X - outdoor adventures, 2X structured)

Still working on the pull-up. I think my upper body was so weak and under-developed that despite a year of strength training I still have a way to go here. My back and shoulders are totally transformed, probably more so than any other part of my body. I actually have muscles on my back now! Amazing. This is going back on my goal list for next year.

I'm doing just a visual check on body fat- and I think that's one place that I may have exceeded my goals. I've been getting tons of compliments on my "weight loss" despite not having lost much weight ( maybe five pounds max?).

Swimming was totally neglected this year in favor of weight training. I feel ok about that. It's been just practically more difficult for me to get to the pool. I may reconfigure this one for next year. We'll see.

The 10,000 steps also didn't happen. In the winter when I set these goals, I was doing about 10,000 steps on my commute. Once it got to be biking weather again, walking took a back seat. So I think next year, my goal might be a more general one about getting to work "self-propelled", with different seasonal approaches for doing that. I also want to get my "fast bike" out next year. It has been gathering dust.

I think I probably did hit the 4x a week exercise goal. Some months it was all in the gym, with some good hiking in the summer, and lots of cross country skiing last winter (perfect conditions!).

Looking forward to new goals for next year- and thanks for the reflection on goal-setting and "failure", jordenread-- I do feel like I made tremendous, even transformative progress this year, despite not meeting most of my goals.

Thanks for the thread! Onward into 2016!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #759 on: December 18, 2015, 11:18:27 AM »
Dang it, lhamo, that's so inspiring that I'm getting my butt over to the gym right now!

I think I have my fitness-strategy outlined for 2016. Will post it here soon.

jordanread

« Reply #760 on: December 18, 2015, 11:26:04 AM »
Dang it, lhamo, that's so inspiring that I'm getting my butt over to the gym right now!

Save it somewhere, so you can repost it when I get next year's challenge up. :)

I felt pretty inspired from lhamo's post, until I read Dr. Phil, and now I'm feeling quite ambiguous. That is my stuff talking, and my deep abiding understanding that post zombie apocalypse, I would leave Dr. Phil to rot. That being said, and this may have been a page that I missed in the journal, what is the proper pronunciation of lhamo? In my brain, I've always pronounced it 'L' Hamo. But have also thought Lame-o, but that seemed unnecessarily mean.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #761 on: December 18, 2015, 11:28:37 AM »

I'll be interested to hear your plans and goals.

I pretty much ignored this thread most of the time when it popped up in my new replies as it was just reminder at how horrible I did on my fitness goals.

I'ts going to be one of my biggest priorities for the new year and I believe JR said he's going to start a similar thread for 2016. If so I intend to join and be more involved in the thread for motivation.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #762 on: December 18, 2015, 01:32:28 PM »

I pretty much ignored this thread most of the time when it popped up in my new replies as it was just reminder at how horrible I did on my fitness goals.

I'ts going to be one of my biggest priorities for the new year and I believe JR said he's going to start a similar thread for 2016. If so I intend to join and be more involved in the thread for motivation.

LWTG, don't be too discouraged. I was completely unable to address my fitness while I was working...only when I FIRE'd was I able to get my act together. If you acheive even modest fitness goals in 2016, while still working your way towards FIRE, you will have done something I could not do.

When I look back on, let's say, my last 7 years of work I had every opportunity to be fit and strong. I worked in construction...road work, civil...there was a ton of hard, physical work involved. If I could have kept my diet under control, I could have easily been the shape I am currently in...but as I have addressed in my Journal, work stress caused my diet discipline to crumble. I could dig with a shovel all day long, but if I hit every drive-thru and liquor store (six pack o' beer) on the way home any benefits were quickly nullified.

It's so dissapointing to look back on...

Longwaytogo

« Reply #763 on: December 20, 2015, 02:13:40 PM »

LWTG, don't be too discouraged. I was completely unable to address my fitness while I was working...only when I FIRE'd was I able to get my act together. If you acheive even modest fitness goals in 2016, while still working your way towards FIRE, you will have done something I could not do.

When I look back on, let's say, my last 7 years of work I had every opportunity to be fit and strong. I worked in construction...road work, civil...there was a ton of hard, physical work involved. If I could have kept my diet under control, I could have easily been the shape I am currently in...but as I have addressed in my Journal, work stress caused my diet discipline to crumble. I could dig with a shovel all day long, but if I hit every drive-thru and liquor store (six pack o' beer) on the way home any benefits were quickly nullified.

It's so dissapointing to look back on...

Thanks JS, to be fair my progress on FIRE goals was pretty poor this year too ):

Oh well, moving past 2015 discouragement and onto 2016 optimism in all aspects of life :)

BTW I'm in construction too and I've mostly used the forced exercise to my advantage. But as you say the beer and soda has allowed a little more around the middle than I'd like.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #764 on: December 22, 2015, 04:15:23 PM »
Trying to finish up 2015 strong...burned 1000+ yesterday plus PUSH MUSCLE workout...same thing today, but changing over to the PULLING MUSCLES. Will finish my serous workouts for 2015 tomorrow - lots of cardio again + LEGS.

Knowing that the season of incredible food and drink is upon us...I call this flurry of exercise a PREEMPTIVE STRIKE. I will try to mix in some runs on my little island's roads over the holidays if the weather isn't to horrific. There will also be some bonfire and wood-splitting days.

When the 2016 thread appears I will be ready to reveal my goals for the new year.

RonMcCord

• Stubble
« Reply #765 on: December 23, 2015, 04:33:10 PM »
I never formally signed up for this, but in July I decided I wasn't happy with the way I looked and made it my goal to get down from 210lbs to 145lbs, build muscle, and run a 5k.   Right now I'm down to 179lbs, Lifting around 100lbs, and I'm on schedule to run a 5k in February.  When a Strength & Fitness 2016 thread gets started, I'll continue these goals and possibly set some new ones up.

jordanread

« Reply #766 on: December 23, 2015, 04:35:20 PM »
I never formally signed up for this, but in July I decided I wasn't happy with the way I looked and made it my goal to get down from 210lbs to 145lbs, build muscle, and run a 5k.   Right now I'm down to 179lbs, Lifting around 100lbs, and I'm on schedule to run a 5k in February.  When a Strength & Fitness 2016 thread gets started, I'll continue these goals and possibly set some new ones up.
Dude, that is bad ass! Awesome progress. The 2016 thread will be up this weekend, and I'll post to it here. Way to go!

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #767 on: December 24, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
I will be ready with some 2016 goals. I am determined to make it the year of leaving excuses behind and get myself into shape.

jordanread

« Reply #768 on: December 26, 2015, 11:35:29 AM »
2016 challenge is up. Access it here!

MonkeyJenga

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #769 on: December 26, 2015, 02:59:28 PM »
My specific goals were abandoned, because I'm not the boss of me! I did see a change in my fitness and activity levels. I feel a little more energetic. My walks have increased in length and now incorporate jogging. Slow, Darth Vader-breathed jogging, but it's voluntary! Amazing for this run-hater.

Eyeballing it, I've possibly lost a little weight since July. I'm working on clawing those pounds back by inhaling all the holiday chocolate surrounding me.

I'm not going to sign up for 2016, because specific goals and public accountability annoy me. In general, I will start biking to work, keep up the enjoyable habit of going for long walks on the weekend, and continue not to weigh myself.

Maybe at some point I'll do some bodyweight exercises. It's not a goal, though.

I'm joining in, and will try not to be intimidated by all the Olympic weightlifters virtually surrounding me.

My goals:

Be able to do 30 real pushups. I did 11-ish Wednesday night, with a couple breaks, inconsistent depths, and what I’m sure was terrible form. I may need to start with wall pushups. - Stopped trying within a week

Be able to do a pull-up. I have literally never done a complete pull-up in my life. There are playgrounds with monkey bar setups within walking distance of my work and home, so I'll check those out. - Didn't start

Walk 60 miles in the next 30 days. I did 53 miles in June, not including general walking to the subway and around the office. To Do: buy new sneakers. - I hit 84 miles tracked in November, and I'm up to 81 for December (as of 12.26).

Be able to do a full split and straddle. I used to be good about retaining my childhood gymnastics flexibility, but the last few years have seen a huge dropoff. - Nope, never even tried with this one