Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2015  (Read 212433 times)

Erica/NWEdible

• Pencil Stache
    • Northwest Edible Life - life on garden time
Re: Strength & Fitness 2015
« Reply #650 on: July 22, 2015, 05:09:15 PM »
Just listened to this podcast - strength coach Charles Poliquin on Tim Ferriss' show. Really fun listen: http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/07/21/charles-poliquin/

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #651 on: July 22, 2015, 05:26:40 PM »
I just got back from a 2.5 hour kayak paddle. Fought some stiff wind and 3 ft chop for much of the return trip. Not supposed to be like that in mid summer...I wasn't amused. Dealing with such conditions is bloody exhausting...my arms (yes, even THESE arms, lol), shoulders, and hands are literally quivering with fatigue. That kicked the crap out of my upper body more than any gym session I could think of. Damn...

I think I deserve a beer.

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #652 on: July 22, 2015, 07:36:09 PM »
Had a minor slip for a couple days. ended up at the brewery this weekend and possibly over indulged in both the yummy craft beer and bad ass pizza category. Sunday I didn't do much of any physical activity at all. just laziness all day even though I had plans of running a timed mile in the morning. Monday I over slept and missed my work out. Tuesday I was awake in time to get my workout in but I was preoccupied trying to prevent water from coming in our basement. We got 6 inches of ran in ~2 hours. In the past something like this would completely derail all my progress, but not this time. I am 24 hr into a 36 hour fast (Wednesday is my unofficial 24 hour fasting day but I'm felling good so I'm going to stretch it out until morning). Tonight dw and i took the dog on a 3 mile walk. I have my alarm set for tomorrow morning. Just not going to get derailed this time

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #653 on: July 25, 2015, 10:09:37 AM »
Checking in- this forum has been awesome motivation. Its great to know I can share my progress without boring whoever I'm talking too. You guys are all in it with me.

Similarly, I've started going to the Bodyweight Routine classes my trainer runs every Wednesday at his gym. I'm paying for a memebrship that includes all the classes- so I might as well! I've gone the last 4 weeks straight and love it. It is a great group of people, most of whom show up every week. A huge range of current capability, but very supportive, and everyone is pushing themselves. So I get to see the big guys really struggle too- that is weirdly motivating. There is a core group of women in the group, and we are all making progress together on our pull-ups and dips. Awesome community. And now I know more people when I show up at the gym on my own. Nice folks.

As for my progress I am now doing real dips, rather than the jumpy kind I started with. And though my range of motion is very small- it still feels great and I know I am making progress. I've been getting in the gym at least 2-3 times every week, including once with my trainer, and once for the class. Pull ups are getting there... still doing jumpy-ones. But definitely feeling my muscles kicking in a bit more- pulling myself up higher.

And, bizarrely, I am loving working with barbells-- squats, bench press, etc. Who woulda thunk it. Not me, that is for sure.

On the swimming front I am sadly behind. Have not gotten in the water much this year. Thinking about looking into a wetsuit so that once I get in there I can stay there longer. And I can try some Ocean/Bay swimming. That's my closest water, so it would be convenient.

Thanks for the ongoing support and sharing!

Hedge_87

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #654 on: July 26, 2015, 07:15:48 AM »
Update

Stepped on the scale this morning and it was at 237 lbs down from 264lbs at my heaviest. That's 27 lbs so far. It's actually been pretty easy so far just following the PB. I would say I'm 90-100% primal through the week and probably 70-80% on the weekends. What can I say it's summer, I like bbq`s, pool parties, and kicking back with friends on the patio with a good brew lol.  I'm amazed at how much better I feel eating like this. I haven't had heartburn in over a month, I have been sleeping better, and I have way more energy through the day where I used to crash around 4 p.m.

I would really like to get down to the 200-210lbs (I think this is my ideal weight at 6'6") so Jordan if you want to put me down to lose another 28 lbs by the end of the year,  I'll give it my best.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #655 on: July 27, 2015, 08:37:23 AM »
I haven't weighed in in a while. I've definitely fallen off the nutrition wagon but I'm feeling good on the output side. I'm consistently lifting 3x per week (MWF doing StrongLifts - that app is so nice). I'm about 6-7 weeks in with a break or two here and there, but we aren't going anywhere for a while now so i'm going to stick with it.

Now it's just the nutrition side. I'm good until dinner when I have too big of a portion. Cut the shit man. Don't be an asshole to future self! I keep forgetting to actually use the scale, but I'm going to try to do it weekly on Tuesdays (so I have a little leeway from any weekend fun).

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #656 on: July 30, 2015, 09:23:00 AM »
Something that is proving to be a challenge, as many 40+ guys can probably attest to, is losing that last remnant of softness about the waist area. I mean, I have become so very lean EVERYWHERE ELSE, but my stomach seems to be where the fat is really putting up it's final, desperate last stand. My stomach is certainly more toned and defined than it has been in years, but it lagging behind everything else. My level of vascularity in my arms, legs, shoulders, and chest is quite high - my wife even commented a few weeks ago that the prominence of veins in my arms was "gross". Yet, sometimes sitting on the couch watching a movie, she will seemingly subconsciously trace them down the length of my arm...hmm.

My diet, which had been rock solid for many months after my FIRE date, has been wavering a bit. I think I need to shore this up, crank up the cardio a bit and see if I can't chip away at my little gut. :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #657 on: July 30, 2015, 10:49:22 AM »
Something that is proving to be a challenge, as many 40+ guys can probably attest to, is losing that last remnant of softness about the waist area. I mean, I have become so very lean EVERYWHERE ELSE, but my stomach seems to be where the fat is really putting up it's final, desperate last stand. My stomach is certainly more toned and defined than it has been in years, but it lagging behind everything else. My level of vascularity in my arms, legs, shoulders, and chest is quite high - my wife even commented a few weeks ago that the prominence of veins in my arms was "gross". Yet, sometimes sitting on the couch watching a movie, she will seemingly subconsciously trace them down the length of my arm...hmm.

My diet, which had been rock solid for many months after my FIRE date, has been wavering a bit. I think I need to shore this up, crank up the cardio a bit and see if I can't chip away at my little gut. :)

Grains, all grains, tend to be obesigenec.  Try to cut them out completely for a month and see what happens.  I'm not anti-starch or anti-carb as I think beans and potatoes are fine.  But bread, tortillas, pasta, corn chips, flour - all will contribute to belly fat stubbornly sticking around,

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #658 on: July 31, 2015, 09:07:00 AM »
Grains, all grains, tend to be obesigenec.  Try to cut them out completely for a month and see what happens.  I'm not anti-starch or anti-carb as I think beans and potatoes are fine.  But bread, tortillas, pasta, corn chips, flour - all will contribute to belly fat stubbornly sticking around,

But...but...looking at that list of food, the angelic tones of Sound of Music Julie Andrews entered, unbidden, into my mind..."These are a few of my FAVOURITE THINGS". And they are...they REALLY ARE. Tortillas (and what I put in them) are pretty much my soul food - when in the Baja, we buy them in large quantities for dirt cheap and pretty much make them a part of EVERY MEAL. The temptation is there to say **** it, the gut can stay soft. :)

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #659 on: July 31, 2015, 10:34:34 AM »

But...but...looking at that list of food, the angelic tones of Sound of Music Julie Andrews entered, unbidden, into my mind..."These are a few of my FAVOURITE THINGS". And they are...they REALLY ARE. Tortillas (and what I put in them) are pretty much my soul food - when in the Baja, we buy them in large quantities for dirt cheap and pretty much make them a part of EVERY MEAL. The temptation is there to say **** it, the gut can stay soft. :)

It's because grains are also quite literally addictive.  They cross the blood brain barrier and light up the pleasure centers of your brain.  Its the reason that Naltrexone (an opiate blocker) is used successfully to treat obesity - mainly because it shuts down the cravings for.....(wait for it......) grains.  Particularly wheat. 

Check out "Wheat Belly" by the cardiologist William Davis for a bit more on the science, if you're interested in that part.  He sort of stumbled across the whole issue because he was trying to gain control over elevated insulin in his patient population because it's so tightly correlated with risk for cardiac events.  He found that low carb was helpful, so he put everyone on a low carb diet for that reason.  The interesting part is that everyone will "cheat" at some point on a low carb diet, he found that the people that cheated with beans or potatoes or bananas were all fine, while the people that cheated with bread or pasta or other grain based foods, all did terrible.

Anyway, it made him curious if anyone else had noticed a connection between grain consumption and poor health in any of the other of the medical fields.  And sure enough they had, which he documents.  It's a nice book because he references everything, so you can check out the scientific research papers yourself, if you are so inclined (I am). 

Side note from my experience - rice, particularly parboiled rice (like the Original Uncle Ben's) does not have the same effects that wheat and rye and all the other grains have.  Even though rice is technically a grain, the protein structures that are problematic in other grains are not present in rice, which makes it fine to eat. 

Also, re: Tortillas - the corn ones are much, much better to consume than the wheat ones.  Corn is much less problematic than wheat, at least in my experience.  So you don't have to give up tortillas, just change over to the corn ones.  Now, if your brain is saying "But, but, but I really LOVE the wheat ones and the corn ones are boring", THAT is the addictive quality I was talking about earlier.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 10:56:57 AM by tyort1 »

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #660 on: July 31, 2015, 11:07:00 AM »
Well, I can now do chaine turns and balance in retire on one toe, so those are a couple goals down! I'm stalling a bit in the splits goal, 100% do to my own slacking - I really need to start stretching my legs out every day rather than just on ballet class days.

I was quite surprised to start losing weight from all this stuff, since I haven't really changed my diet except to cut out sugary drinks entirely, and feed the majority of my baking to my boyfriend rather than a 50/50 split. But I'm down about 12 pounds, to 153, since May when I started tracking, and am getting some serious muscle definition in my legs.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #661 on: July 31, 2015, 12:56:11 PM »
Calling "Wheat Belly" scientific makes me giggle, but I don't want to derail this thread with that discussion.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #662 on: July 31, 2015, 01:04:45 PM »
Good to hear that corn tortillas are a decent option - flour is probably our favourite, and the preferred choice for Baja-type cuisine (best fish tacos on earth are found here) but we enjoy the unique flavour and texture of corn tortillas as well. Cool info tyort1...thanks.

As for my midriff - I'm sure it's simply the remnants of a good ol' "beer belly". ;)

jordanread

« Reply #663 on: July 31, 2015, 02:14:58 PM »
Good to hear that corn tortillas are a decent option - flour is probably our favourite, and the preferred choice for Baja-type cuisine (best fish tacos on earth are found here) but we enjoy the unique flavour and texture of corn tortillas as well. Cool info tyort1...thanks.

Seriously, you eat fish tacos in flour tortillas? I've always had them (and ceviche) in corn tortillas. They are tinier, and they are delicious. I will eat a bunch of them in a sitting (like at least 5). I've seen pictures of your fish, but you do flour tortillas? I don't do them (flour tortillas) often, but on occasion, I do. Care to share your recipe?

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #664 on: July 31, 2015, 04:03:15 PM »
Calling "Wheat Belly" scientific makes me giggle, but I don't want to derail this thread with that discussion.

I didn't say it was a scientific book.  Clearly its a book written for a general audience.  What I did say is that he references a lot of scientific papers in the book and you can track down those studies if you are so inclined. 

For myself, I have to say he was pretty much right on with his claims - effortless weight loss (40lbs, in my case), less bloating, better sleep, better hunger regulation, less irritable in general, drop in fasting glucose levels, drop in triglycerides, drop in blood pressure, increased HDL levels, and a few other things. 

If it was just me that had this level of success, I'd be less vocal about it, but I convinced my parents and several friends to try it and the results were consistent among all of them.

jordanread

« Reply #665 on: July 31, 2015, 05:31:56 PM »

I didn't say it was a scientific book.  Clearly its a book written for a general audience.  What I did say is that he references a lot of scientific papers in the book and you can track down those studies if you are so inclined. 

For myself, I have to say he was pretty much right on with his claims - effortless weight loss (40lbs, in my case), less bloating, better sleep, better hunger regulation, less irritable in general, drop in fasting glucose levels, drop in triglycerides, drop in blood pressure, increased HDL levels, and a few other things. 

If it was just me that had this level of success, I'd be less vocal about it, but I convinced my parents and several friends to try it and the results were consistent among all of them.
While I am actually agreeing with you in general, lets not make this the primal thread. I promise, by Monday at the latest i will get you added. Until the, let's focus on health, strength, and fitness here. Also, good job on making progress!! You are kicking ass.

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #666 on: July 31, 2015, 05:35:51 PM »

While I am actually agreeing with you in general, lets not make this the primal thread. I promise, by Monday at the latest i will get you added. Until the, let's focus on health, strength, and fitness here. Also, good job on making progress!! You are kicking ass.

Understood.  And thanks!  I just installed an actual pullup bar in my garage and I think I'll graduate to it in about a month.  Super stoked about that!

jordanread

« Reply #667 on: July 31, 2015, 05:42:19 PM »
As you should. Great job!!

jordanread

« Reply #668 on: August 05, 2015, 11:46:57 AM »
Update

Stepped on the scale this morning and it was at 237 lbs down from 264lbs at my heaviest. That's 27 lbs so far. It's actually been pretty easy so far just following the PB. I would say I'm 90-100% primal through the week and probably 70-80% on the weekends. What can I say it's summer, I like bbq`s, pool parties, and kicking back with friends on the patio with a good brew lol.  I'm amazed at how much better I feel eating like this. I haven't had heartburn in over a month, I have been sleeping better, and I have way more energy through the day where I used to crash around 4 p.m.

I would really like to get down to the 200-210lbs (I think this is my ideal weight at 6'6") so Jordan if you want to put me down to lose another 28 lbs by the end of the year,  I'll give it my best.

I marked your other goal as complete, and added a new one. That is 55lbs, and super awesome!! You are already more than half way there. Hedge, you've done awesome with this gauntlet. Keep up the great work.

Zikoris
  • Head or higher foot height on Grand Battement
  • Full splits
  • Increase balance & coordination - perform successful chaine/pique turns, balance in retire.

Hate to break it to you, but I put your chaine/pique turns and balancing in retire as one goal. Sorry, but good job on meeting your goal!!

[...] skipped coffee[...]

JS, you are doing wonderful. As far as the midriff goes, I've got a bit of a gut (you read my journal so you know why), but working the back (and my slackline...which is all core and balance apparently) seems to make the gut go away. I actually had the sexy guy lines a month ago. Granted, love handles were above them, but still...good stuff. Oh, and I quoted that particular part because skipping coffee sucks :P.

I'm joining in, and will try not to be intimidated by all the Olympic weightlifters virtually surrounding me. [...]

I've got you added with your goals to the tracking post. Everyone around here is rocking it, but joining in makes you as awesome as the rest (more so since this a full year gauntlet, and you are joining with only a few months left). If you want to feel better about yourself, look at the crap I've done and posted earlier in this thread. You've got this, and this thread is super supportive.

[...] am doing the Big 6 as well!  Up to Step 3 on most of them.  Hahaha, I never thought I'd be so excited about being able to do 50 "girl style" knee pushups :P

Awesome (as I said earlier). I added you to the tracking post, but don't have any actual and specific goals for you. What are they?

jordanread

« Reply #669 on: August 05, 2015, 12:41:54 PM »
My goals for 2015:

1)  Bike to work an average of at least 10 times/month -- ideally this will be every day, but sometimes meeting schedules/need to wear dress clothes makes it impossible.  Also must admit to being a bit of a wimp with the cold weather -- especially if the wind is blowing.  New subway line has opened up near our house so that means that I will substitute 40 minutes of brisk walking each day to/from the subway station on most days I don't bike, which is a good alternative.

2)  Run at least 30 minutes at least 3x/week.  My actual plan is to shift to running to the early morning, now that we have a treadmill at home.  If I get up at 5:15 I have time for a 30 minute run/shower before DS gets up for his shower.  Stretch goal will be at least 5x/week, which should be easy once I get the habit established.  May even be able to make this daily, will see how it feels.

3)  Return to healthier eating patterns, with a focus on decreasing intake of carbs/cheese and eating more fruits and vegetables/fiber-rich foods.

4)  Start working on bodyweight strength training/core strength.  Really no excuse not to do some pushups/squats/situps several times a week. Can do this while watching TV.

If I do all these things consistently, I should be able to drop 10-20 lbs this year.  But I'm planning to focus on changing my BEHAVIOR rather than the weight loss, since you can predictably control inputs more easily than outcomes.

Ugh.  I have been conspicuously absent from this thread since my initial posting of goals.  Basically because I didn't follow through on any of them.  Work related stress/business/fatigue, surgery, post-surgical complications yadda yadda yadda.  As a result of basically being a slug I have pretty much lost all semblance of muscle tone and my weight crept up to nearly 73kgs/160 lbs.  That is 25-30 lbs over what I know I can/should be at (setting a reasonable, achievable target for my age and body composition. But the good news is:

1)  Post-surgical complications seem to have resolved.

2)  Joined a gym last week and have gone five times already.  Starting slow with an hour on the treadmill each time, but am increasing the length/intensity of my running intervals each time.  Feeling stronger/seeing heartbeat rate go down each time.  Once I'm not juggling family stuff I will spend more time during each visit and incorporate some strength training as well. 

3)  DH bought a small weight set yesterday primarily for DS's use, but there is no reason I can't use that as well.  Need to also incorporate some planks/ab work

4)  Need to do a better job on dietary stuff

So far with what I have done in the last week I am down 1kg.  Based on past experience I can probably retain that range of loss for at least the first 8-10 weeks, and then it will slow down.  Even so, I can probably reach my original goal even with less than half the year left!

No time like the present to get started...

I know it's not a direct correlation, but many people around these parts have mentioned you as an example of how to be awesome (journal based...haven't read it yet, but it's on my list). I'm sure you can do this. And if you do it in less than half a year, your goals are obviously way too easy :P. We've got your back here, and I can't wait until I can cross off goals of yours. Are you going to keep posting updates? Or do I have to quote you so you get the notifications?

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #670 on: August 05, 2015, 03:10:47 PM »
I don't think I'll ever make it to Jon Snow-ish level fitness, but we'll see.

Got a good chuckle out that...Jon Snow-ish. :)

Ah, don't sell yourself short lhamo...I found that, especially early on, the rapid improvement became so damn addictive to watch that, if anything, it helped me keep on course and actually ramp up the intensity once I gained a base-level of fitness. Now, you have certain things in your life (kids, job (still incredulous that you did that, lol)) that might prevent you from going as "all-in" as I have. It seems like I almost live at the gym when I'm city-side (though I do workout on the island as well). What I have done is not really normal...and probably excessive.

I really hope you kill the fitness goals lhamo!

While I'm here, might as well give a bit of a fitness update of my own. Continuing the cardio (running, stationary bike), which of late I have really ramped up the intensity. My goal with my cardio sessions now is to try and burn 400 calories in a half hour session - very tough...and then I go and lift for an hour and a half. Pretty much wrecked by this point, muscles quivering...then my 2 block walk home where one of the highlights of the day is a delicious protein shake. Heavenly.

In the past couple of weeks I have been talking to a few of my fellow gym regulars. I have noticed that as my shape has become somewhat more pleasing, people seemed curious as to who I was and they would instigate conversation. I let it slip that I was retired to some ridiculously ripped guy, and word seems to have spread around the gym. Just today, two people asked me about it. I really was trying to get my workout in and didn't want to really delve into the subject there, so I mumbled something about "getting lucky with some investments". And some expressed surprise that I was 43...they had me pegged in my mid-30's...I think I am becoming a bit of a "thing" at the gym. Not in  the same league as this female bodybuilder/trainer who is a fixture there...that is just BIZARRE.

Again, this has probably been the biggest win of my post-FIRE life so far...with the development of my food-growing skills a close second. I have pretty much hit all of my initial fitness goals. I think I may have to set some new ones. Hmmm...

Here's a snapshot of the results of today's 30 minute ass-kicking stationary bike session. Ouch.

jordanread

« Reply #671 on: August 05, 2015, 03:15:29 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, jordanread.  I'm trying to keep goals modest/attainable to begin with as I know from experience I get discouraged when I set the bar too high and don't have immediate results, but, yes, I do hope to be in much better shape by the end of the year!  This is the first time in a long time that i will really have the time/energy to devote to the whole package, including both diet and exercise as well as other types of self-care.  I don't think I'll every make it to Jon Snow-ish level fitness, but we'll see.  If I can get myself to the point of having a good level of physical activity roughly 2 hours per day, the resulting transformation should be pretty impressive.  One of the benefits of starting from sloppy couch potato status is that there is pretty much nowhere to go but up! 

I'll check in regularly to post about progress, but do feel free to bop me upside the head if you don't see me for awhile.

That's what we do here. I do intend to send a PM to those who haven't checked in, but I'll save my face punches and bops on the head for the PMs. As far as my low bar thing goes, that's just for me. If I hit my goals, I feel like I suck. If that's not the case for you, we'll all still do everything we can via the internet to support you. Once again, because that is how we roll!!! You've got this, and I really look forward to seeing what you accomplish.

I don't think I'll ever make it to Jon Snow-ish level fitness, but we'll see.

Got a good chuckle out that...Jon Snow-ish. :)

Ah, don't sell yourself short lhamo...[...]
I really hope you kill the fitness goals lhamo!
[...] I let it slip that I was retired to some ridiculously ripped guy, and word seems to have spread around the gym. Just today, two people asked me about it. I really was trying to get my workout in and didn't want to really delve into the subject there, so I mumbled something about "getting lucky with some investments". And some expressed surprise that I was 43...they had me pegged in my mid-30's...I think I am becoming a bit of a "thing" at the gym. [...]

Those tomatoes are amazing. You're doing super great too!!

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #672 on: August 06, 2015, 10:32:40 AM »
400 cals in 30 minutes...hmm, could be possible with intense rowing. Concept 2 says I row for 200 cals in 15 minutes during my morning break, but that number is in reality lower for me because they base it off a 175lb person and I am 126lbs. However, if you are closer to the pre-programmed weight, then there is that.

During my lunch hour, I burn 350-60ish running 3.5-3.6 miles at about a 6.7mph pace in 30-35 minutes. Since I can input my correct weight it, that's more accurate. If you weigh more, should hit 400 cals easy.

I shoot for 450-550 cals a day during the work week. I don't really work out in the gym on weekends, but I may do alternative activities like hiking or sea kayaking.

jordanread

« Reply #673 on: August 06, 2015, 10:50:42 AM »
400 cals in 30 minutes...hmm, could be possible with intense rowing. Concept 2 says I row for 200 cals in 15 minutes during my morning break, but that number is in reality lower for me because they base it off a 175lb person and I am 126lbs. However, if you are closer to the pre-programmed weight, then there is that.

During my lunch hour, I burn 350-60ish running 3.5-3.6 miles at about a 6.7mph pace in 30-35 minutes. Since I can input my correct weight it, that's more accurate. If you weigh more, should hit 400 cals easy.

I shoot for 450-550 cals a day during the work week. I don't really work out in the gym on weekends, but I may do alternative activities like hiking or sea kayaking.

What is this Concept 2? And one of these days I have to get as fast as Jon_Snow on a real bike. Took me almost 50 minutes to bike to my former job (9.2 miles). Are you going to officially join in Helvegen?

jordanread

« Reply #674 on: August 06, 2015, 11:49:11 AM »
Anyway, where I'm at now: 29 year old female, 5'9", 195.4lbs as of this morning. A couple of weeks ago a switch flipped and I've been almost 100% committed; my food is much better, no soda, no snacking, and a desire to make it to the gym almost every day (which is 5 miles from home now instead of 30!). I've lost 7lbs in those two weeks (I always lose the first 5 or so pounds really easy) and really want to stick with it.

Two things I need to work through:
1) Should I get a real plan in place? I'm committed to making it to the gym Monday's and Thursday with a friend but go more often on my own. I don't really have a plan for the gym. I do ~30 minutes easy intervals on the treadmill, whatever strength exercises sound good for another 30 minutes (usually 3 sets of an arm, a core, and a leg exercise), stretch thoroughly, then another 10-30 minutes of walking on the treadmill. I'm not tracking anything workout or food related (food tracking is harder when you cook from scratch...). I do have a fitbit and the MFP app but only keep track of my steps and weight right now

Aeryn, it kind of depends on your type of personality. Some people have really good luck with a set plan, since it lays out exactly what you should do. I'd say you might need a plan, but only because you haven't found a workout you enjoy yet. When it seems more like a chore than something fun, it can be a challenge to get motivated. I am a huge believer in bodyweight training over weights, but that is a personal preference that aligns more closely to my goals. If you want something a touch more fun, check out Hero's Journey. It's like a choose your own adventure, but with a bodyweight workout (there's even a baby dragon!!). There have been a lot of other discussions earlier in this thread regarding different programs, so I'd suggest you read through them.

2)DH....he's basically supportive of my fitness efforts but since he has no ambition to join me it's harder. He thinks I'm crazy for looking at a $400 bike (but would never try to say I can't). He doesn't want to go to the gym with me so I feel bad being gone for 1-2 hours most evenings. He doesn't try to stop me or guilt trip me about it (though he jokes about me cheating on him) but we do almost everything together so it's weird to be without him so much. He's a little overweight but basically healthy (annual blood screening comes out very healthy) so while I'd love for him to join me there's not a health problem if he doesn't. I invite him every time I go and he comes maybe once a week. Does anyone else deal with this with their SO's? Not sure if I'm looking for advice or just commiserating

My GF works out more than I do, but is pretty absent with my workouts. They seem too easy for her, and she does ChaLean Extreme and Insanity. I am more geared towards efficiency, so my workouts are shorter, and harder. I wouldn't sweat him not joining in just yet. Once you find a plan you like (and that is key), and stop looking negatively at workouts, it becomes less of a commiseration ("Hey honey, I have to go do this crappy thing...wanna come?"), to having actual fun ("Hey honey, I'm gonna have an awesome time doing this thing. Wanna come with?").

Helvegen

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #675 on: August 06, 2015, 01:49:26 PM »

What is this Concept 2? And one of these days I have to get as fast as Jon_Snow on a real bike. Took me almost 50 minutes to bike to my former job (9.2 miles). Are you going to officially join in Helvegen?

Concept 2 is an indoor rowing machine, one of, if not the best, you can buy and use. I have it for free at my work gym and was rowing upwards of 60km a week about 2 months ago. Then one day, I just felt like jogging, so hopped on the treadmill and ran for awhile. So now I split my time between the two. On my morning break, I row, and during lunch, I hit the treadmill.

I've been hitting the gym most every day since October. Some of my co-workers ask me how I do it, as in where do you find the discipline to stay committed? I dunno, how do you get up and drag yourself to work every morning? For me, it is the same basic concept. Don't question it, just do it.

I suppose I could join in. I probably need to lift more and gain some muscle weight. Current stats are 166cm and 126lbs.

jordanread

« Reply #676 on: August 06, 2015, 01:53:29 PM »
While I don't love what I'm doing now I enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed any workout I've done. I don't dread it, in fact right now I look forward to it (though not quite to the point of being excited). I enjoyed Zumba, but not enough to chase classes all over town (they're not consistent here) and then pay $5 each time I find one. I hate running, though don't mind intervals. I have to take them kind of easy for now while I'm still prone shin splints but will work up intensity when my legs can handle it. I love hiking but live in the wrong state for that. I think I'd enjoy rock climbing (I "mountain goat" around when we visit the mountains) but again, wrong state. I did a 5k mud run a couple of years ago and enjoyed the obstacle course part of it but I have no idea how I'd train for them and don't really want to pay $40+ each time I do one. Oh, I'm planning on going to Roller Derby bootcamp in November, that sounds like a blast!

Jordanread, you're appealing to the inner nerd in me :) I'll check out Hero's Journey and the rest of this thread more thoroughly tonight.

LOL. I'm glad to hear it. Just post here when you are all caught up, and let me know what you think about Hero's Journey. I do it a bit in between my Convict Conditioning workouts. Haven't done the full program, but there isn't anything I've seen that will mess with anything else. Plus I've chatted a bit with Neila Ray, who created it. She loves it. I may have mentioned this earlier, but she suggests the really fun forum posts from someone who is doing the program, and using their writing skills and imagination, and made a fun little story about it.  I can't find it right now, but damn it was fun. If I haven't posted it earlier, I will find it at some point and post it here.

Concept 2 is an indoor rowing machine, one of, if not the best, you can buy and use. I have it for free at my work gym and was rowing upwards of 60km a week about 2 months ago. Then one day, I just felt like jogging, so hopped on the treadmill and ran for awhile. So now I split my time between the two. On my morning break, I row, and during lunch, I hit the treadmill.

I've been hitting the gym most every day since October. Some of my co-workers ask me how I do it, as in where do you find the discipline to stay committed? I dunno, how do you get up and drag yourself to work every morning? For me, it is the same basic concept. Don't question it, just do it.

I suppose I could join in. I probably need to lift more and gain some muscle weight. Current stats are 166cm and 126lbs.

Get yourself some specific goals and we'll get you added. I'm glad you found this little corner of the internet, and welcome!!

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #677 on: August 06, 2015, 10:53:50 PM »
Got my boyfriend to measure my ballet kicks and splits. They're improving! And I think I officially have the weirdest goals in the challenge at this point.

I'm kicking (I mean, performing a grand battement) at 57 inches, or almost 3 inches higher than when I started (54 3/8). Another 7 to go before reaching my own height!

I felt like my splits wasn't making any progress, but my crotch has gotten an inch and a half closer to the ground - I'm down to 4 1/2 inches from 6.

It's definitely great encouragement to keep working on stretching out my legs. I feel like an iron rod compared to some of the people in my ballet class, but at least there's progress!

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #678 on: August 07, 2015, 02:39:22 AM »
Checking in!

1/2 hour daily walks = not daily, but at least once per week.  It's winter here, and I have a baby, so am not going out on filthy wet/cold/windy days.  I should probably do some inside exercise on those days but haven't yet.

Diet = Am eating more cleanly (i.e., fewer grains) but still eating them, and still eating probably more carbs than I need, if I'm going to shift this baby weight.  But, on the other hand, I'm breastfeeding a baby with feeding issues, so I don't want to do anything that will drop my supply (yeah, I know, it shouldn't, and it never has before, but all sorts of things have been different with this baby)

Weight loss.  Well, I don't know!  I don't have bathroom scales in the house, as I disagree with obsessively weighing yourself. Will try and remember to jump on a friend's scales next time I'm at her house.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #679 on: August 07, 2015, 07:43:06 AM »

It's not measuring the calories your body is burning.  The calorie output is simply the amount of work you  output.  Work in physics, meaning W=F*d.  Although this work is theoretical since a stationary rower isn't moving, d=0, :-P.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #680 on: August 07, 2015, 09:27:19 AM »
At the risk of coming across as a pathetic ego-stroker...the 406 calories burned on the bike was really over 25 minutes...the last 5 minutes of the 30 min was a very easy cool down. ;) Then I did and hour and a half of lifting...then I hit the treadmill for another 200 calories before leaving. I would estimate I may have burned around 800 calories (though I'm not sure about calorie burn rate during weight training). This is pretty much as extreme as my gym sessions get...most times I will choose either bike or treadmill, not both. Some days I just seem to have EXTRA in the tank...there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason for these extra energy days.

Just about to walk over to the gym right now...I try to ramp things up on Friday's...to compensate for the Red Wine Friday tradition that commences once my wife walks in the door. ;)

Gonna try and brainstorm some new fitness goals while I sip Malbec tonight...

Also, great to see the recent uptick in activity/participants in this thread. Awesome.

Zikoris

• Magnum Stache
  • Vancouverstachian
« Reply #681 on: August 08, 2015, 01:32:59 PM »
Do any of you guys use MyFitnessPal or Fitbit? I just signed up for both of them yesterday, and would love to add some people.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #682 on: August 09, 2015, 06:24:10 AM »

It's not measuring the calories your body is burning.  The calorie output is simply the amount of work you  output.  Work in physics, meaning W=F*d.  Although this work is theoretical since a stationary rower isn't moving, d=0, :-P.

I think you're missing a vector which would make the distance /= 0.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #683 on: August 09, 2015, 06:25:33 AM »
Do any of you guys use MyFitnessPal or Fitbit? I just signed up for both of them yesterday, and would love to add some people.

I haven't joined the fitbit craze. We did have a walking challenge at work where I was able to use a free pedometer. I seem to see mostly overweight people using a Fitbit so it's hard to justify it to me.

The myfitness pal is fantastic though. I stopped using it but it really reigned me in.

The best thing for me (in general) is to weigh myself every damn day. It forces me to take a hard look at what I did yesterday and see how it impacted me and my weight.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #684 on: August 09, 2015, 10:53:37 AM »
On a ferry right now...when it docks on my island, I'm walking/hiking about 20km to my property - with a 35 pound backpack. Curious as to how long it will take, and how hard it will be. I think it will be a helpful gauge as to where my fitness is.

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #685 on: August 09, 2015, 01:49:51 PM »

Jordanread, you're appealing to the inner nerd in me :) I'll check out Hero's Journey and the rest of this thread more thoroughly tonight.

If you have an inner nerd you might like to check out Nerd Fitness. I've enjoyed the blog and think they have some good basic advice and a variety of simple workout plans.

Good luck!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #686 on: August 10, 2015, 07:45:23 AM »
Weighed in at my all time adult low weight this morning (205). Starting to get vein definition in my forearms but definitely flab remaining on stomach and thighs. Fat loss is happening more than fast enough for me, though, so I'll just be patient and keep on drinking my beer. 

DrSweden

• Stubble
« Reply #687 on: August 10, 2015, 09:32:35 AM »
Current goal 200 snatches with 24 kg Kettlebell in 10 minuts and press 40 kg Kettlebell. Did this in 2010.

The "gym"

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #688 on: August 10, 2015, 11:32:45 AM »

If you have an inner nerd you might like to check out Nerd Fitness. I've enjoyed the blog and think they have some good basic advice and a variety of simple workout plans.

Good luck!
I actually already read Nerd Fitness! I enjoy it though it's a different kind of nerd than I am, I'm more of a table top and board game nerd than a video game or comic nerd

I learned the hard way this weekend that it's not the best idea to do a lot of butt/thigh exercises (day 2 of Hero's Journey) then try to ride a bike the next day...that was a bit painful! I did make it a mile though so I'm 1/3 of the way to my commute distance :) I need to map out 1, 2, and 3 miles routes around my house so I know how far I'm going. So far all I know for sure is a .5 mile route and I don't want to just do circles

The workout pain reduces a lot when you do it regularly. I always find that if I skip more than 2 days for squats, getting back into it is twice as hard and hurts a lot more than if I just take a break over the weekend.

jordanread

« Reply #689 on: August 10, 2015, 01:29:38 PM »
Current goal 200 snatches with 24 kg Kettlebell in 10 minuts and press 40 kg Kettlebell. Did this in 2010.

The "gym"

Outstanding gym!!! Also, I got you added to the tracking post. Welcome to the gauntlet, and we're glad to have you here.

I learned the hard way this weekend that it's not the best idea to do a lot of butt/thigh exercises (day 2 of Hero's Journey) then try to ride a bike the next day...that was a bit painful! I did make it a mile though so I'm 1/3 of the way to my commute distance :) I need to map out 1, 2, and 3 miles routes around my house so I know how far I'm going. So far all I know for sure is a .5 mile route and I don't want to just do circles

I'm glad you joined the cycling challenge, and extremely glad that Hero's Journey has been working for you. If you have any questions regarding it (and don't forget there are specific levels...what level are you doing?), I can attempt to ask the creator. I've talked to her before, and she seems uber helpful.

As far as the squats and riding thing goes, I will leave you with the latest comment (which beat me to it, although I was watching), which I agree with.

The workout pain reduces a lot when you do it regularly. I always find that if I skip more than 2 days for squats, getting back into it is twice as hard and hurts a lot more than if I just take a break over the weekend.

While the specific squat stuff eyepod mentioned is not something I have had recent experience with, it might work. The end result though, that is something I can get behind. I mean no offense to eyepod. For me, muscling through it sucks at first (as you described), but within a few days it is back to normal. Granted, when you mention it like that, it's not so much back to normal as it is super great.

jordanread

« Reply #690 on: August 10, 2015, 03:06:08 PM »
Thanks for creating the challenge. Hopefully it helps me stick with it. I'd really hate to spend money on a bike and then not use it. I think I've figured out Hero's Journey pretty well but I will say it's not the most intuitive. I actually skimmed the Karma pages to figure out some of the things that weren't specified, like that the Boss battle on day 60 is "do as many sets as you can" (there's another day that has the symbol too). And on Day 2 you do "60 High Knees" but it doesn't specify if it's 60 each leg or total for 30/leg (in the "Hammer" exercises it does specify this with bicep curls). I'm just doing Level 1 for now and not even positive I can do the full amount on all days though I'm going to push myself to try
I didn't create it, I just took over and tried to make it better. Feel free to DM me if you have any suggestions/comments/concerns that I should pass on to the creator(of either Hero's Journey or the cycling challenge). It's still super fun for me. Haven't actually reached the step you were talking about, but holy crap it's fun. I just did it as a secondary thing, but so much goodness.
I know it'll get better, I've been here before :) I was actually mainly surprised that it hurt so much the next day. I usually get really sore 2-3 days after a workout. Like standing/sitting down today is harder than it was yesterday from my work out Saturday

Yeah, I had something similar happen. However, I can't have that stuff happen without remembering the very first time I did a specific work out. My back was so sore, I related it to being stupid when a friend moved. That being said, I did the workout perfectly and realized that my back 'pain' I was experiencing was only due to not working those muscles out regularly, and being super weak overall. It was a fun little bit of life experience for me. Moving things and the like are really just muscles that I should be using that weren't being used. You've got this!!

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #691 on: August 10, 2015, 03:21:08 PM »
Yeah, I had something similar happen. However, I can't have that stuff happen without remembering the very first time I did a specific work out. My back was so sore, I related it to being stupid when a friend moved. That being said, I did the workout perfectly and realized that my back 'pain' I was experiencing was only due to not working those muscles out regularly, and being super weak overall. It was a fun little bit of life experience for me. Moving things and the like are really just muscles that I should be using that weren't being used. You've got this!!

That was a big switch for me. When I moved away from just running or doing cybex machines and started with free weights, it was mind blowing. The little stabilizer muscles are just so important in real world applications and doing a machine that only goes in one direction will NOT hit those groups!

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #692 on: August 11, 2015, 07:01:42 AM »
Anyone have thoughts on kettlebell progression? I've got 1 bell (35 pounds) so far. I'm up to doing 3 sets of 40 two-hand swings. Arms aren't quite ready to safely do that weight as a one-hand swing.

Questions:

Should I just keep increasing reps/sets with that weight?

Should I go ahead and buy a heavier bell? If so, should I jump up 10 pounds or just 5?

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #693 on: August 11, 2015, 07:40:15 AM »
Anyone have thoughts on kettlebell progression? I've got 1 bell (35 pounds) so far. I'm up to doing 3 sets of 40 two-hand swings. Arms aren't quite ready to safely do that weight as a one-hand swing.

Questions:

Should I go ahead and buy a heavier bell? If so, should I jump up 10 pounds or just 5?

If you can do 40 swings with a 35lb kb I would imagine you could do 10 at a time with one hand, no?  Just reduce the amount of reps and work your way back up.  When I do one hand swings I will usually switch hands every 10.

To me kettlebells are one item where it doesn't really make sense to go small jumps.  Personally, I would go to a 53lb bell and reduce the amount of reps.  Build your way back up to higher rep work.

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #694 on: August 11, 2015, 08:47:52 AM »

Questions:

I did CF for 4 years and started out with the 35lb one. I used this throughout any regular workouts. If there was a shorter one, I'd up it to the 45. After a bit, that became comfortable and when I was ready to push myself, it was 55lb. Then after a while with that, we'd have bonus workouts with the 70lb or the 100 (I could never do that one unless it was just deadlifts - ridiculous).

So, I had a slow progression over ~6-12 months of very good general fitness (3x per week). That doesn't really answer your question but can at least give you an idea of how I progressed.

ToughMother

• Bristles
« Reply #695 on: August 12, 2015, 07:29:13 PM »
I'm a (decidedly non-obese) mustachian using FitBit (and yes, I got it on sale and am not paying for any gym memberships in true frugalista fashion).  I'll DM you my email to connect.

TheFirstMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #696 on: August 23, 2015, 06:13:42 AM »
Um, I'm not sure if you're the right people to ask, but you're my best guess. Please redirect me if I'm wrong.

Any tips on finding a decent (and well-priced) set of free and fixed weight dumbbells or a system that changes weights quickly?

And how to make/install a decent pull-up bar in a garage with exposed joists at about 10 feet high?

And where to find a cheap/used but decent doorway pull-up bar for the office?

Thanks. Y'all are inspiring!

jordanread

« Reply #697 on: August 23, 2015, 10:24:17 AM »
Um, I'm not sure if you're the right people to ask, but you're my best guess. Please redirect me if I'm wrong.

Any tips on finding a decent (and well-priced) set of free and fixed weight dumbbells or a system that changes weights quickly?

And how to make/install a decent pull-up bar in a garage with exposed joists at about 10 feet high?

And where to find a cheap/used but decent doorway pull-up bar for the office?

Thanks. Y'all are inspiring!

FirstMan, there was a link (I think) somewhere upthread on pullup bars. I haven't had time to look for it, but I remember previously viewing this site. Not sure if it's it, but it might be. It looks like a good option for the garage. For the doorway pull up bars, I personally have a "Perfect Pullup" system that I got from a friend who gave up on working out. However, assuming you are in the U.S., this search on Amazon shows a few different options. I'd definitely use that to find the certain brands and then search for them on Craigslist. I've never used any of the ones that don't mount, but I have heard good things, plus it doesn't require any mounting.

I'm sure you'll get more recommendations here, but if you find one, feel free to post about it here with a request of suggestions/comments/and concerns. A financial website doesn't necessarily seem like the best place to ask (as you mentioned above), but we are a bunch of Mustachians who are working on getting in shape and/or stronger. We look at things and do a lot of research, so you'll definitely get feedback in this particular thread. I don't know that there are any other Strength and Workout threads that are as active as this one, but check out the Throw Down the Gauntlet section. If there are any more, that's most likely where you'll find them.

And I almost forgot about the dumbbell question. I have the Bowflex SelectTech and they are awesome. I got those for free as well from a different friend who didn't want to carry them to Afghanistan. Being as dedicated as I am to bodyweight training, I wouldn't suggest buying them (especially at full price), but once again, fitness stuff goes fast on Craigslist. Don't be afraid to post in the wanted section either. If you can wait, I'd guess that February would be the best time to look, as by that time everyone has already given up on their New Years Resolutions (but already spent the money to buy all the stuff they think they need to match them).

Tyson

• Magnum Stache
« Reply #698 on: August 23, 2015, 02:18:44 PM »
Just checking in on my Convict Conditioning journey.  I've progressed past knee (girl style) pushes to full body half-pushups.  Another month or 2 and I'll be doing full, regular style pushups, yay! 

Horizontal pulls - well hit the 3 sets of 30 here in the next couple of weeks, then it's on to jackknife pull-ups on a real pullup bar, yay again!  Everything else is moving along too - squats, abs, and angled bridges are all progressing it reps and sets every workout. 

Its been several months of more or less continuous progress, and I've definitely learned to be more comfortable manipulating my body using my own strength.  It's been slow, but I'm kind of glad, it takes the pressure of the "be in shape right now", and puts the focus on building a strong foundation first.  I'm "just now" getting to the point where I'll be starting to do some things that most people can't do. 

Overall I'm really happy with the program.  Its a slow and steady approach which I like very much, and is a stark contrast to my previous approaches of "ramp up to make things as hard as possible as quickly as possible".  The slow and steady approach has been a lot easier to actually stick with, for me.

TheFirstMan

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #699 on: August 24, 2015, 05:12:45 AM »

FirstMan, there was a link (I think) somewhere upthread on pullup bars. I haven't had time to look for it, but I remember previously viewing this site. Not sure if it's it, but it might be. It looks like a good option for the garage. For the doorway pull up bars, I personally have a "Perfect Pullup" system that I got from a friend who gave up on working out. However, assuming you are in the U.S., this search on Amazon shows a few different options. I'd definitely use that to find the certain brands and then search for them on Craigslist. I've never used any of the ones that don't mount, but I have heard good things, plus it doesn't require any mounting.

I'm sure you'll get more recommendations here, but if you find one, feel free to post about it here with a request of suggestions/comments/and concerns. A financial website doesn't necessarily seem like the best place to ask (as you mentioned above), but we are a bunch of Mustachians who are working on getting in shape and/or stronger. We look at things and do a lot of research, so you'll definitely get feedback in this particular thread. I don't know that there are any other Strength and Workout threads that are as active as this one, but check out the Throw Down the Gauntlet section. If there are any more, that's most likely where you'll find them.

And I almost forgot about the dumbbell question. I have the Bowflex SelectTech and they are awesome. I got those for free as well from a different friend who didn't want to carry them to Afghanistan. Being as dedicated as I am to bodyweight training, I wouldn't suggest buying them (especially at full price), but once again, fitness stuff goes fast on Craigslist. Don't be afraid to post in the wanted section either. If you can wait, I'd guess that February would be the best time to look, as by that time everyone has already given up on their New Years Resolutions (but already spent the money to buy all the stuff they think they need to match them).

Thank you!