Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2015  (Read 212434 times)

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
Re: Strength & Fitness 2015
« Reply #500 on: March 31, 2015, 07:32:48 PM »
ParticipantGoal
horsepoor
  • Set of 10 deck squats with jump - 25lb kettleball
  • 10 single leg deadlifts each leg - no rebalance
  • 1 set 20 bosu ball squats
  • 1 set 10 bosu ball squats - 5 second hold at 2-point
  • Run a 7 minute mile
  • Lose 8lbs of fat

Did the single-leg deadlifts a week or two ago, and knocked out the deck squats tonight.

Need to get on the running though; just haven't felt like it since the awful cold I had in January.  Hoping to lose a few pounds while I'm in Peru - holding steady at 3# down after finishing Whole30, but haven't lost any more. 

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #501 on: April 01, 2015, 05:27:30 PM »
tofu, that is quite impressive, your 1RM's are pushing up against mine! That's it, time to lift!\

Hey, those are my old 1RM's, from over a year ago, before I got pregnant. I'll let you know current ones at the end of the month.

Tuesday's workout was a bike ride from work to the gym (about a mile), then a 2.5-mile run in about 28:30 (accidentally stopped the treadmill around the 3-4 minute mark, so this is not 100% exact), then an hour-long yoga class, then a 4-mile bike ride home.

Today I've done nothing so far, but am planning on an hour on the bike trainer plus a yoga dvd after the baby falls asleep.

lucky-girl, that's an interesting list. I used to be able to deadlift 1.5x my body weight. Not sure how much I could squat 20 times, since I never do that many reps. My highest back squat was 1.33x bodyweight, and bench press was almost .75 bw, but those aren't in that list.

Wiggle, I find sumo deadlifts to be really uncomfortable. Then again, I don't particularly like deadlifting, so I've never been inclined to put in the time to get used to it.

Oh, and I always wear Chucks to lift. I have Wonder Woman hi-tops that Mr Tofu gave me for my birthday a couple of years ago, and I swear they give me a bit of an edge.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 05:32:41 PM by tofuchampion »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #502 on: April 02, 2015, 09:41:51 AM »
Any particular reason why many of y'all do 1RM and 3RM lifts? I was always taught that's a really good way to get injured. I'm much more interested in real-world applicable strength, which is usually frequent lifts of much lighter weights over a span of time, hence the lowest I go is about 3x10.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #503 on: April 02, 2015, 10:32:57 AM »
Any particular reason why many of y'all do 1RM and 3RM lifts? I was always taught that's a really good way to get injured. I'm much more interested in real-world applicable strength, which is usually frequent lifts of much lighter weights over a span of time, hence the lowest I go is about 3x10.

Because I do competitive powerlifting. And bc I like to know just how much I can lift. It's functional for me as well, bc in my line of work (I'm a nursing assistant), the lifting I do is heavy, just once or twice (moving patients).

Philociraptor

• Handlebar Stache
  • Eat. Sleep. Invest. Repeat.
« Reply #504 on: April 02, 2015, 12:20:32 PM »

We use 1RM in our gym to pick weights for the workouts. Let's say the strength/skill for the day is deadlifts. The rep scheme would look something like this: 3x5 @ 65%, 1x3 @ 70%, 1x2 @ 80% (relatively light weights, but a good warm-up for the metabolic conditioning to follow). This way everybody lifts according to their individual strength in each lift. We test for new 1RM's every couple months.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #505 on: April 02, 2015, 02:13:51 PM »

While I agree with the real-world applicable strength aspect.  If comparing two people one with a 1rm max squat of 500lbs vs a person with 1rm of 200lbs.  Who will have an easier time lifting 100lbs 20 times?

As to a good way to get injured....That may be true for an inexperience lifter.  Lifting is a skill and like any skill it needs to be practiced and repeated.  Lifting heavy when learning is also beneficial because they will reach a point where their form will breakdown and expose weaknesses even through they may be physically capable of lifting the weight.  Not that you should be training with bad form, but it gives you an idea at what weight you can keep proper form with while still pushing your limits.

Experienced lifters get near or at their 1 rep max quite often.  Some professional weightlifters and powerlifters get to 90-100% of their max multiple times per week, some everyday.  Personally, I feel much more beat up after doing a 3x10 squat session than I do doing a 1rm.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:15:48 PM by Cromacster »

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #506 on: April 02, 2015, 02:15:23 PM »
JFC Cromac, you are inside my brain again.

EDIT: Also, I'd be willing to bet that more gym rats get hurt doing non-1rm work.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 02:17:06 PM by Kriegsspiel II »

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #507 on: April 02, 2015, 02:53:38 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I can understand the reasoning behind it better now.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #508 on: April 02, 2015, 05:54:52 PM »
I cranked out a 54 minute 10km run yesterday, with nary a twinge in my previously troublesome IT band problem. I think my new shoes were worth every penny. Looks like it's all systems go for my half marathon in a month. I am fairly confident I can hit a sub 2-hour time. Can one be excited to run 21km? I think I just might be. :)

Longwaytogo

« Reply #509 on: April 02, 2015, 06:26:00 PM »
I cranked out a 54 minute 10km run yesterday, with nary a twinge in my previously troublesome IT band problem. I think my new shoes were worth every penny. Looks like it's all systems go for my half marathon in a month. I am fairly confident I can hit a sub 2-hour time. Can one be excited to run 21km? I think I just might be. :)

I'll bet you can break 2 hours with that 10K time. I did a 10K turkey trot in almost the exact time 2 weeks before running a half. Finished in 2 hours 3 minutes. Had it not been for the 9 degree starting temp and inch of snow that fell during the race I'm fairly certain I would have been under.

Gonna try and break it this year!

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #510 on: April 14, 2015, 04:52:27 AM »
In case anyone else is totally clueless about what 1RM vs. 3RM means- I found this handy definition...

http://weighttraining.about.com/od/glossary/g/rm.htm

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #511 on: April 14, 2015, 06:51:02 AM »
Have you seen a chiropractor? I was suffering from hip/knee pain back when I climbed a lot a poles ever day (lineman not a stripper get your head out of the gutter). It turned out to be a problem in my lower back which was being caused by tightness in my hamstrings. Still am fighting this problem off and on but for different reasons.

Yea I see a Chiro.  He determined essentially the same thing.  Tight everything around my hips, but especially my hamstrings.  Next week I'm going to start seeing a sports massage person as well.  She treats a lot of the guys I work out with and I have heard good things.

Sounds like it might be a bit of an impingement. Do you know if your hips have a default anterior pelvic tilt? Often this position can both cause a lot of anterior tightness/impingement, but it feels like the hamstrings are the problem since they're tight. However the reason they're tight is that the muscle is lengthened due to the anterior tilt, and simply has no more room to move.

If you find this is the case, I'd recommend looking up some posterior pelvic tilt drills to reset your hips into neutral, and in either case, a hip flexor stretch with a powerlifting band to pull the head of the femur clear of the socket has worked for a few people I've worked with. http://youtu.be/dzhz67lXkAE

I am not ready to say my hip issue is fixed, but it is a lot better than what it was.  I talked with the sports massage person and she gave me some exercises to work on that have helped.  Mainly stretching the hamstrings, rolling the hams and glutes,  hip flexor stretches, and some posture correcting exercises.  Also, the sports massage was one of the most painful things I have done.  It felt great after, but man it was rough.

I'm not quite back to my old strength yet, but I've been squatting heavy and regularly for the past 3 weeks or so.  Happy to be back at it.

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #512 on: April 17, 2015, 08:25:44 PM »
I'm getting my strength back WAY faster than I thought I would! Yesterday I squatted 150# (3 sets of 5), benched 80# (1 set of 5), and deadlifted 185# (1 set of 5). Still haven't tested 1RM's and probably won't for a while; I want to see how long I can keep this up. It's pretty exciting, though I know it won't last.

I also joined a weight-loss competition at my gym. It's 8 weeks long and is kind of Biggest Loser style, with participants split into teams of 5-6 people and working out with a trainer twice a week. It started this week, and those workouts are INTENSE! I'm strong enough, sure, but my endurance is crap. I think this will be good for my overall fitness, and hopefully will kick-start the weight loss, which has stalled for the past month or so.

Sunday morning, I'm going to do an easy ride with my cycling club. I haven't ridden with them in about a year, and I'm looking forward to it. The Sunday morning ride is a slower one that includes a breakfast stop, meaning it's a good one to do after a break.

How's everyone doing?

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #513 on: April 17, 2015, 08:58:54 PM »
How's everyone doing?

Feel great! Keep making slow progress on all my weightlifting, and I can very easily see the benefit it's given me in doing stuff around the house and with cycling.

Doing a century is still quite a ways away, but I did a 36.5 mile ride this week, was totally gassed on the last 5 miles, but felt just fine the next day.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #514 on: April 17, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
Half marathon this weekend. Gonna rock that s***.

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #515 on: April 19, 2015, 02:18:06 PM »
Quick check-in:

I've been averaging much less than 10,000 steps since the snow melted and I started riding my scooter to work most days, but I think I'm ok with that. I might decide to tweak that goal a bit.

I have been continuing to exercise 4 times a week- at least twice in the gym and have started running a bit to replace Cross Country Skiing this Spring- though I am very new to running and I'm doing very short runs. I miss cross country skiing! Can't wait till it warms up a bit more and I can get out swimming and hiking this summer.

Still no pull-up, though I am working through the progressions still with that in mind- getting closer all the time! I feel so much stronger overall.

I am struggling with my weight and fat-loss a bit. I haven't really set it as a goal, but I guess I assumed it would happen naturally as part of my strength training. I think I was losing weight during the winter with all of the cross country skiing I was doing (2-3 times a week for 1-2 hours each time). I've started tracking my diet a bit more- but if anyone has any tips/resources to share about weight loss while strength training, I would be much obliged! I need to decide if it is really a priority. It would be awfully nice to be able to show off all the beautiful muscles I've been so busy strengthening and sculpting the last 6 months!

tofuchampion

• Bristles
    • MadeByMarilynM
« Reply #516 on: April 19, 2015, 03:02:34 PM »

I am struggling with my weight and fat-loss a bit. I haven't really set it as a goal, but I guess I assumed it would happen naturally as part of my strength training. I think I was losing weight during the winter with all of the cross country skiing I was doing (2-3 times a week for 1-2 hours each time). I've started tracking my diet a bit more- but if anyone has any tips/resources to share about weight loss while strength training, I would be much obliged! I need to decide if it is really a priority. It would be awfully nice to be able to show off all the beautiful muscles I've been so busy strengthening and sculpting the last 6 months!

No real advice, but I'm in the same boat. I lost about 6-7 lbs when I first started working out again, and have been stalled ever since. I haven't moved out of the same 3-lb range since February. I've just decreased my intake a bit, and am focusing way more on getting enough protein and eating "clean." Good luck!

In other news, I did my first postpartum cycling club ride this morning. It was an easy-paced 22 miles, with a breakfast stop midway. I won't be able to go out as often as I used to, but I'm going to try to make it to at least 2 rides a month.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #517 on: April 19, 2015, 03:38:39 PM »
It's possible that you are increasing your lean body mass while losing fat. If you track your bodyfat percentage instead of total weight, you might be able to see progress.

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #518 on: April 20, 2015, 05:13:44 AM »
It's possible that you are increasing your lean body mass while losing fat. If you track your bodyfat percentage instead of total weight, you might be able to see progress.

+1

Total weight is a pretty bad metric anyways.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #519 on: April 21, 2015, 05:32:18 AM »
down to 192.4 on a tuesday ... thats new... and 15.3% BF.  should finally break the 190 barrier for the first time in years this week.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #520 on: April 21, 2015, 07:31:39 AM »
That's awesome boarder42!

I felt like I was getting too light at 185, and I was a bit stalled in terms of increasing the amount of weight I was capable of lifting. So obsessed with getting lean, I suspect I was not consuming enough calories, especially protein. Recently, I have increased my daily food intake, and tripled the amount of protein in my diet. And whaddya know...I'm up around 190, and now lifting heavier weights: for example, I was stuck at 40 pounds (2 dumbbells, 80 pounds total) on the dumbbell bench press for what seemed like an eternity, now I am doing 45 - 50 pounds. Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I feel like the muscle gains are really happpening now. Certainly, the mirror test says my body fat% is still around 10-12%.

With this recent progress, it's going to be hard to cease my workout schedule come June 1.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    • A Riving Home - Ramblings of a Recusant Woodworker
« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2015, 08:29:56 AM »
How'd the half-marathon go, Jon?

Longwaytogo

« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2015, 08:44:19 AM »

With this recent progress, it's going to be hard to cease my workout schedule come June 1.

No need to cease, just switch it up to body weight stuff while your on "island time".

http://www.alkavadlo.com/ is one of my favorites. He does not post much any more but you can check out his stuff on the archives. I'm sure his books are cool too though I  have not read them myself.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2015, 09:23:32 AM »

Beyond my expectations. So much so that my wife and I are looking to do another one this Summer...probably in Victoria B.C.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2015, 09:42:03 AM »

No need to cease, just switch it up to body weight stuff while your on "island time".

http://www.alkavadlo.com/ is one of my favorites. He does not post much any more but you can check out his stuff on the archives. I'm sure his books are cool too though I  have not read them myself.

Longwaytogo, that looks like a decent option. I am thinking about doing something else. I'm pondering the idea of buying a simple weight bench, and getting an assortment of free weights - perhaps only dumbbells and taking them over to the island. I've got a large shed in which to keep the bench and weights and could pull them out for a quick workout session. Have to admit, lifting weights in a forested setting would be kinda cool. ;)

I been spending like a drunken sailor lately (admittedly on life-enhancing stuff) so I'm not sure I will pull the trigger on this. I do have a rather irrational fear that my hard earned strength improvement will atrophy if I stay away from the weights too long - and the training is such a part of my daily routine that stopping cold turkey doesn't really appeal to me much. Stay tuned.

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #525 on: April 21, 2015, 10:27:41 AM »

Beyond my expectations. So much so that my wife and I are looking to do another one this Summer...probably in Victoria B.C.

That's awesome. I started running about a month and a half ago, after not running so much as a mile in over 15 years. I finished my first 5k road race last week, and last night I went for a 5-mile run. The 5-mile run felt so good, I starting thinking about training for a 10k or maybe even a half-marathon. This is funny, because I was adamantly, 100% opposed to running as of two months ago. I was one of those "I'm only running if something's chasing me" types. I got peer-pressured into signing up for the 5k, and I'm glad I did.

I figure this is as good a time as any to throw out a couple of Strength & Fitness goals, since that is the purpose of the thread:

• Run a 6-minute mile. I started out on March 4 this year with an 8:30 mile. I've brought that down to 6:36 as of April 19, but I have a feeling the last 36 seconds will be the hardest.
  • Run a 20-minute 5k. That one is a bit of a stretch, but by I'd like to see if I can manage it by the end of 2015. My 5k race time on April 16 was 23:26, so I have a long way to go.

Longwaytogo

« Reply #526 on: April 21, 2015, 12:59:45 PM »
Longwaytogo, that looks like a decent option. I am thinking about doing something else. I'm pondering the idea of buying a simple weight bench, and getting an assortment of free weights - perhaps only dumbbells and taking them over to the island. I've got a large shed in which to keep the bench and weights and could pull them out for a quick workout session. Have to admit, lifting weights in a forested setting would be kinda cool. ;)

I been spending like a drunken sailor lately (admittedly on life-enhancing stuff) so I'm not sure I will pull the trigger on this. I do have a rather irrational fear that my hard earned strength improvement will atrophy if I stay away from the weights too long - and the training is such a part of my daily routine that stopping cold turkey doesn't really appeal to me much. Stay tuned.

Never worked out in a forest with weights, but it does sound sweet!  I have enjoyed lifting in my yard with bench/dumbbells on occasion; also built an outdoor pull up bar thats fun (though under utilized).

As a serial yo-yo exerciser I will tell you in my experience after about a month you do lose quite a bit of strength. Though you can get it back quicker the 2nd or 3rd or 4th time.... Speaking of which I need to get off my ass and post my Spring/Summer goals/plans . I have been all but hibernating too long this Winter.

unmetamorphosed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #527 on: April 22, 2015, 08:43:38 PM »
I found the fitness thread!
I've been on an olympic weightlifting team since January and have my second competition coming up next month!
So my short term goal is to obviously improve my lifts and total from my first comp (which was early last month). Our team does whatever our coach programs for us so I just have to keep putting in the work at training and not blow up on meet day.

I compete in the 48kg weight class. First competition PR lifts:
Snatch: 35kg
C&J: 43kg
Total: 78kg
(I also had a 46kg C&J but it was red-lighted for being a press-out...damn.)

Once this training cycle is over I'll also hopefully have new squat PRs. Ended last cycle with:
Front squat: 3x67kg (I've yet to attempt a true 1RM front squat)
Back squat: 1x85kg

Long term goals for the year are to at least qualify for the state championships early next year, and gaining a few pounds wouldn't hurt either!

Any other olympic weightlifters here?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 08:46:28 PM by unmetamorphosed »

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #528 on: April 23, 2015, 05:48:41 AM »
That's awesome boarder42!

I felt like I was getting too light at 185, and I was a bit stalled in terms of increasing the amount of weight I was capable of lifting. So obsessed with getting lean, I suspect I was not consuming enough calories, especially protein. Recently, I have increased my daily food intake, and tripled the amount of protein in my diet. And whaddya know...I'm up around 190, and now lifting heavier weights: for example, I was stuck at 40 pounds (2 dumbbells, 80 pounds total) on the dumbbell bench press for what seemed like an eternity, now I am doing 45 - 50 pounds. Perhaps it is wishful thinking, but I feel like the muscle gains are really happpening now. Certainly, the mirror test says my body fat% is still around 10-12%.

i eat the 4 hour body diet... its basically all protein ... meat beans and veggies.  i'm not really trying to build muscle at this point.  just tone up some.  trying to shed off the fat still.  i am built lean.  i'm 6'4 and i graduated HS at 160 lbs. obviously super skinny then.  hit 15% BF and 191 this morning.  i can do 5 full pull ups now... cant believe that ... probably due more to loss of weight than strength gain.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #529 on: April 23, 2015, 03:07:09 PM »
I found the fitness thread!
I've been on an olympic weightlifting team since January and have my second competition coming up next month!
So my short term goal is to obviously improve my lifts and total from my first comp (which was early last month). Our team does whatever our coach programs for us so I just have to keep putting in the work at training and not blow up on meet day.

I compete in the 48kg weight class. First competition PR lifts:
Snatch: 35kg
C&J: 43kg
Total: 78kg
(I also had a 46kg C&J but it was red-lighted for being a press-out...damn.)

Once this training cycle is over I'll also hopefully have new squat PRs. Ended last cycle with:
Front squat: 3x67kg (I've yet to attempt a true 1RM front squat)
Back squat: 1x85kg

Long term goals for the year are to at least qualify for the state championships early next year, and gaining a few pounds wouldn't hurt either!

I was getting into olympic lifting a while ago, but haven't done it in a while. Not competitive at all, though. Every once in a while I will see how weak I am in them. I met some local highland games competitors, so I will probably start cleaning and snatching again.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #530 on: April 24, 2015, 06:35:23 AM »

I am.  I have my first competition coming up in June.  I've been weightlifting for about 2 years now.

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #531 on: April 24, 2015, 10:15:11 AM »

That's awesome. I started running about a month and a half ago, after not running so much as a mile in over 15 years. I finished my first 5k road race last week, and last night I went for a 5-mile run. The 5-mile run felt so good, I starting thinking about training for a 10k or maybe even a half-marathon. This is funny, because I was adamantly, 100% opposed to running as of two months ago. I was one of those "I'm only running if something's chasing me" types. I got peer-pressured into signing up for the 5k, and I'm glad I did.

I figure this is as good a time as any to throw out a couple of Strength & Fitness goals, since that is the purpose of the thread:

• Run a 6-minute mile. I started out on March 4 this year with an 8:30 mile. I've brought that down to 6:36 as of April 19, but I have a feeling the last 36 seconds will be the hardest.
  • Run a 20-minute 5k. That one is a bit of a stretch, but by I'd like to see if I can manage it by the end of 2015. My 5k race time on April 16 was 23:26, so I have a long way to go.

Excellent goals. Tough, but doable. What does your training regimen look like? Are you strength training in addition to the running?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #532 on: April 24, 2015, 02:32:35 PM »

Excellent goals. Tough, but doable. What does your training regimen look like? Are you strength training in addition to the running?

Ha, well, my "training regimen" is pretty haphazard and not much of a regimen at all. I've been doing gradually-increasing distance runs about 3 days a week. Last night I reached 6.6 miles. I've also been throwing in a couple of days each week of multiple short, fast runs. I also commute to work by bike 5 days a week, 4 miles each way, which I count as my cross-training. I don't do any real strength training, and I don't follow any particular plan. I just do whatever I feel like doing on any given day. It's been working so far, but if I hit a plateau on speed or distance, I may have to keep a more organized regimen to reach one of my goals.

This weekend, I think I'm going to bear down and try to knock out a six-minute mile. I'll report back with the results. I haven't done any speed training since last Sunday, just distance runs.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
    • I am no man’s chair.
    « Reply #533 on: April 24, 2015, 04:29:46 PM »
    Phew...I'm beat. Epic gym session today. Usually, Friday is Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps day. But feeling particularly energetic, and since I take weekends off from weight training (though I usually do a 10km run of Sundays) I thought I'd hit up the Arms as well. And the Back. And Legs. And Abs.

Done...just done. Made myself a double (protein shake) and am now stapled to the couch. Watch some playoff hockey...some Game of Thrones (gotta see what that rascal Jon Snow is up to). :)

Continue kicking butt, ye buff Mustachians!

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    « Reply #534 on: April 25, 2015, 01:02:46 PM »
    @Mississippi Mud: well if you're that close to the goal without any programmed stength or speed work, I'm sure you'll hit it no problem.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #535 on: April 25, 2015, 03:33:04 PM »
    Have any of you ever jumped back in to weightlifting and found that one of your biggest weaknesses is grip and wrist strength? My grip, wrists, and forearms are worn the heck out!

So the answer is no? C'mon, team...I thought this was a group effort.

No. The only thing my grip would limit is a deadlift, but I hook grip, so it's not an issue.

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
    • That old chestnut.
    « Reply #536 on: April 25, 2015, 07:23:48 PM »
    My running has been pretty much crap all winter, and my ankle acted up after a 3-mile treadmill run last week (worked itself out after the first mile, then the next morning I got out of bed and almost fell over when I tried to weight that foot, and had a twinge in that ankle for a few days).  So I'm really happy to say I just came back from a good 4.4 mile run.  Didn't time it, but I'm guessing it was around 40 minutes without really pushing, just going at a comfortable pace.  I think the 500-meter rows that leave me gasping have something to do with getting my wind back.

Giving myself a few days post Reno work trip before checking my weight.  Deadlifting 165# for 5 reps pretty easily now.  I'd worked up to 200# last summer, but felt like I might hurt myself at that weight, so I think I"m going to keep that below 185# since that's enough for me in the strength department.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #537 on: April 26, 2015, 06:42:39 AM »
    Boom. Crossed 190. Currently 198.8 and 14.7%

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
    • K Thnx Bye
    « Reply #538 on: April 26, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »
    Well, I FAILED on the weight loss front since last posting in this thread. I am still 220lbs of buttery goodness.

I have started running 2 weeks ago, signed up for a sprint length triathlon for some motivation.

I started with 2 miles @ 23:36

and 15 day and 8 runs later

Today I did 3.1 miles @ 27:36

Now to drop those 10-15lbs

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
    « Reply #539 on: April 26, 2015, 08:44:43 AM »
    Well, I FAILED on the weight loss front since last posting in this thread. I am still 220lbs of buttery goodness.

I have started running 2 weeks ago, signed up for a sprint length triathlon for some motivation.

I started with 2 miles @ 23:36

and 15 day and 8 runs later

Today I did 3.1 miles @ 27:36

Now to drop those 10-15lbs
    Congrats on the improvement!!

but

you can run all you want but to drop weight you really need to change your diet.  running gets you in good physical condition but doesnt really drop weight.  weight loss is 90% diet and can be 100% diet.  i went from 220 to sub 190 since jan 1 soley by changing diet. 

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
    • That old chestnut.
    « Reply #540 on: April 26, 2015, 09:28:04 PM »
    Went to the gym tonight and realized that, for probably the first time in my life, my riding is actually contributing fitness that helps me with my workouts.  I've been feeling like I've been slacking on my workouts, at best running once a week and doing one or two gym workouts.  However, I totally rocked the kettlebell swings, Turkish get-ups, box jumps and overhead squats today.  I'm reading a book about zen and riding, and it focuses on use of the psoas muscles, which it turns out are totally activated by kettlebell swings, so it seems like kettlebells have helped me learn to use my psoas when riding, and now that I'm using my psoas when riding, it's helping my kettlebell work.  Awesome!

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
    • K Thnx Bye
    « Reply #541 on: April 27, 2015, 06:16:03 AM »

powerlifter/drug free bodybuilder.

PRs 335 bench, 455 back squat, 525 deadlift @ 205lbs bodyweight

Congrats on the improvement!!

but

you can run all you want but to drop weight you really need to change your diet.  running gets you in good physical condition but doesnt really drop weight.  weight loss is 90% diet and can be 100% diet.  i went from 220 to sub 190 since jan 1 soley by changing diet. 

Thank you sir, and believe me I know the importance of diet. I first got into weight lifting when I was 295lbs back in 2007, I started doing IIFYM before it was even called that, bodybuilding.com actually used my before and after transformation from 2007-2009 as the pictures to promote the transformation of the week contest. I lost 123lbs over 2 1/2 years and did my first competition in fall of 2009. I've been hooked ever since.

I comete every few years, and I just don't have the motivation to cut weight when I am not prepping for a show. When I do prep, I go from 215-220 down to ~180 @ 4-5% body fat. It usually takes 6-8 months.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #542 on: April 27, 2015, 06:22:21 AM »
    Have any of you ever jumped back in to weightlifting and found that one of your biggest weaknesses is grip and wrist strength? My grip, wrists, and forearms are worn the heck out!

The only time I have grip issues is doing reps with hang cleans or hang snatch.  Some wrist issues doing jerks, but thats more of a flexibility issue.  If you don't hookgrip, start.

No. The only thing my grip would limit is a deadlift, but I hook grip, so it's not an issue.

Ouch, you hookgrip for deadlift?

Mississippi Mudstache

• Handlebar Stache
    « Reply #543 on: April 27, 2015, 07:37:52 AM »
    This weekend, I think I'm going to bear down and try to knock out a six-minute mile. I'll report back with the results. I haven't done any speed training since last Sunday, just distance runs.

Well, I pulled a hamstring while skimboarding on Saturday morning. Also scraped up both feet, my back, one knee, and sliced open a toe and a finger. So no running this past weekend, I could barely walk on Sunday. But it was fun as hell so I'm not complaining. My body's just not as rubbery as it used to be.

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    « Reply #544 on: April 27, 2015, 10:22:34 AM »

What Kriegsspiel said. And as a non-powerlifter, I'd long given up trying to hit super heavy sets on deadlift anyway. I found it only ever became an issue going for a 3-5 rep max set.

I don't know that I would recommend this, but once when I had a significant back injury that kept me out of lifting for many months, I threw myself full-force at gripper training since it was the only thing "heavy" I could do. I got just about every level of captain of crush gripper, a few multiples of the same level, filed some down, did severe negatives, overcrushes, strap holds, etc. like it was my religion. By the time I was lifting again, grip was almost never an issue (except as mentioned above). I also found that I could still close the grippers pretty well even when I hadn't touched the, for a year.

In other words, build it once and it is easily maintained. The reason I wouldn't necessarily recommend it is that now I have a more holistic view of grip training, and if I think if you just do grippers, you're leaving a lot of holes unfilled and opening yourself up for injuries. But anyone can benefit from having grip/fingers/wrist work programmed intelligently into their training.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #545 on: April 29, 2015, 02:48:15 PM »

Yea, it only hurt when I was starting out doing it, and if I take a long break from deadlifting, but other than that it feels fine. I think Gillingham hook gripped somewhere north of 700. I was looking to avoid muscle imbalances and biceps strains, and just stuck with it.

Optimiser

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #546 on: April 29, 2015, 11:11:42 PM »

I do a little olympic lifting. I just PR'd on my snatch tonight after really focusing on my technique for about a year. I'm hoping now that my technique is better I'll start getting PRs a little more often. I would love to be able to snatch my body weight some day.

homehandymum

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #547 on: May 01, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »
    OK, add me in :)

I've just had a swift rear-end kick from my doctor, which has helped provide the necessary motivation to try getting back in shape. 

I'm currently terribly unfit so will start small:

1. half an hour of low-impact exercise per day (walking for preference, or a session off my pilates DVD if the weather is truly foul)

2. cut wheat, white potatoes, and sugar back out of the diet.

3. Have my diastasis recti muscles functionally back together again by August (3 months from now).

Until my split abs are sorted, there's not much else that's safe for me to do so that's really my highest priority.

unmetamorphosed

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
    « Reply #548 on: May 05, 2015, 03:09:33 PM »

I do a little olympic lifting. I just PR'd on my snatch tonight after really focusing on my technique for about a year. I'm hoping now that my technique is better I'll start getting PRs a little more often. I would love to be able to snatch my body weight some day.

I just saw your reply, nice job!

Now that snatching has finally "clicked" for me (aka pull the bar into the hips, damn it) it's actually my favorite lift. I'm 11kg from a bodyweight snatch and 1kg from a bodyweight C&J. Though I know I could totally hit at least 48kg now, my programming just doesn't let me go that heavy until the meet.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
    « Reply #549 on: May 05, 2015, 05:14:58 PM »

Yea, it only hurt when I was starting out doing it, and if I take a long break from deadlifting, but other than that it feels fine. I think Gillingham hook gripped somewhere north of 700. I was looking to avoid muscle imbalances and biceps strains, and just stuck with it.

George Leeman 909lb American Deadlift Record, hook grippin.