Author Topic: Strength & Fitness 2015  (Read 212438 times)

cats

• Handlebar Stache
Re: Strength & Fitness 2015
« Reply #350 on: February 03, 2015, 08:29:31 PM »
A little late to the party, but I'd like to join in!  My big goals for 2015 are:

1. Do a pullup (more than one would be great, but one will do)

and

2. Get my half marathon time under 2 hours. 

I'm on a forced break from running at the moment due to some leg issues, but they seem to be clearing up and I'm hoping to be able to pick up again in the next few weeks.

I don't need/want to lose weight, but would not mind trading some fat for muscle.  I'm not quite sure how to quantify this goal...maybe a target waist circumference?

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #351 on: February 04, 2015, 10:41:23 AM »
got down to 202 by the end of january.  looking to be under 190 by the end of Feb.

jordanread

« Reply #352 on: February 04, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
I will get everyone new since I commented last later tonight. Keep up the great work!!

E_Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #353 on: February 05, 2015, 09:12:01 PM »
I have figured out the 1 gallon of water thing for when I'm at work. Need to figure it out for while I'm at home.

Worked out with weights 1-2 days per week (most weeks 2).

Ordered exercise bike!

johnny847

• Magnum Stache
    • My Blog
« Reply #354 on: February 05, 2015, 09:51:57 PM »
I started a lifting routine with one of my friends a couple weeks ago. Makes the workouts a lot better!

Sadly, I'm still nowhere closer to my goal of gaining 15 pounds this year. Though I am closer to being able to do a set of pull ups (can already do a set of chin ups no problem).

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #355 on: February 06, 2015, 06:45:50 AM »
I'm really far off my goals for this year though I have lost 4 more pounds through healthy eating. I've had back to back sinus infections, but I'm nearly recovered from the second one so I returned to the gym this week.

Between the illness and the winter weather, I haven't been hitting my 15k steps, but I have gotten 10k steps most days. That's easy since my commute involves a couple miles walking.

I expect to be back on track next week, though I am traveling back to my old house next weekend for more packing and repairs since we are putting the house on the market in March. I'll be happy when life settles down again and I have a steady routine like I did last year. I'm a person who likes routines and illness, moving, living with relatives while we get settled, etc, is interfering with them, but that's life :)

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #356 on: February 06, 2015, 09:04:09 AM »
I review my week of exercise on Sundays in broad terms. But I decided to break down one of my workout days into its specific components. Yesterday was an ARMS/BACK workout. Essentially, these exercises involve PULLING motions - pulling weight TOWARDS the body. These exercises are much easier for me than the PUSHING ones - I suspect 20 years of kayaking (a pulling motion) is responsible. So, here is a typical ARMS/BACK workout for me, though I will switch out and add different exercises from week to week.

Stationary bike warm-up - 30 minutes, 370 calories burned.

Concentration curls - 3 sets 12, or till failure
Wide grip lat pulldowns - 3 sets of 10
Standing barbell curls - 3 sets of 10
One arm dumbbell - 3 sets of 12
Seated cable rows - 3 sets of 12
Seated dumbbell curls - 3 sets of 12, or till failure
Front lat pulldown (machine) - 3 sets of 10
Lateral low row (machine) - 3 sets of 10
Barbell deadlift - 2 sets of 10

Today is my toughest workout session....the PUSHING muscles - chest, shoulders, triceps. Ugh...

Thegoblinchief

« Reply #357 on: February 06, 2015, 09:47:53 AM »
twbird18 Not a doctor, but I had terrible recurrent sinus infections that I eventually traced back to some low-grade food allergies. For me, it was peanuts (avoid altogether was the only way) and dairy (limited consumption okay, but only in fermented forms). I also have some indoor allergies, but have good results with a deep 'media' furnace filter (the 4" thick boxes) and a separate air purifier which runs 24/7 in the bedroom.

If you suspect outdoor allergies, a lot of folks I know have had good results taking locally produced wildflower honey medicinally (one spoonful a day).

jon_snow - have you tried any exercises that combine pulling and pushing motions? You know I'm a big fan of the clean/push/press. I do them with dumbbells to avoid having my strong side overcompensate. I think it's also easier to get a safe lifting posture from the ground with them (since you can lift them from in between your legs, instead of slightly out in front like a straight bar.

I need to get out to a store and get a kettlebell or two and start swings soon. Not sure how pricey they are.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #358 on: February 06, 2015, 11:38:53 AM »

twbird18 Not a doctor, but I had terrible recurrent sinus infections that I eventually traced back to some low-grade food allergies. For me, it was peanuts (avoid altogether was the only way) and dairy (limited consumption okay, but only in fermented forms). I also have some indoor allergies, but have good results with a deep 'media' furnace filter (the 4" thick boxes) and a separate air purifier which runs 24/7 in the bedroom.

If you suspect outdoor allergies, a lot of folks I know have had good results taking locally produced wildflower honey medicinally (one spoonful a day).

Thanks. I'm fairly certain it was attending multiple conventions in January. Being around 40,000 people for a weekend never agrees with me no matter how many times I wash my hands or take airborne

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #359 on: February 06, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
Thanks for the input Chief...I really think I need to incorporate full body exercises such as your clean/push/press into my own routine. Right now, I'm certainly "micro managing" my various muscle groups a little too much.

Raste

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #360 on: February 08, 2015, 04:48:36 PM »
Goals for 2015:

This is a great thread and is helping me stay motivated.

I break down my exercise cycles into 12 week time periods and the strength goals are set at the beginning of the cycle based on my max strength from the previous cycle. For those interested, I'm working off of Jim Windler's 5/3/1 strength training program.

Year long goal: 250% body weight deadlift; 175% body weight squat; and 125% body weight bench press.
Current status: 238% body weight deadlift; 169% body weight squat; and 111% body weight bench press.

My other goals for conditioning during the 12 weeks include:
Run 3 times a week: 1 distance for time, 1 speed, 1 time for distance
Increase low intensity cardio after work to 30-45 minutes 3-5 times per week (currrently at 20-30min)

Body Composition Goals:
Improve BMI by 2 points. I hope to do this by keeping my calorie intake the same but increasing my conditioning work. I'll re-evaluate my success after this 12 week cycle.

Other goals:
Decrease intake of artificial sweetener. Huge success so far! I've had no diet sodas and only half and half in my coffee since the beginning of 2015!

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #361 on: February 09, 2015, 06:28:27 PM »
It's a long weekend for those of us in B.C. - yay for Family Day!

We are at our island place this weekend, so no weight training facilities handy, but since I spent 5 hours yesterday clearing brush from my future garden site I still feel that I got a good workout in - and a ton of scrapes and scratches courtesy of the blackberry bushes. As our half marathon draws nearer, my wife and I have cranked up the distance of our training runs. We did 12km this morning on some twisty, hilly, island roads...things are definitely getting EASIER. My legs are feeling it right now as we get ready to head back to Vancouver on the ferry...tomorrow, back to my weekday gym routine. My wife and I did allow ourselves a few beers as a reward for our hard work in the garden, so all is not PERFECT with the diet aspect of the plan, but whatever...its a long weekend after all. :)

Pants are starting to fit quite loosely, and my belt is starting to run out of notches. Clothes from my "skinny" days that have been languishing in the darker recesses of my closet are now part of my active wardrobe. Thus far, this whole fitness journey has exceeded my expectations. Highlight of my post-FIRE life so far, no doubt.

jordanread

« Reply #362 on: February 09, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
It's a long weekend for those of us in B.C. - yay for Family Day!

We are at our island place this weekend, so no weight training facilities handy, but since I spent 5 hours yesterday clearing brush from my future garden site I still feel that I got a good workout in - and a ton of scrapes and scratches courtesy of the blackberry bushes. As our half marathon draws nearer, my wife and I have cranked up the distance of our training runs. We did 12km this morning on some twisty, hilly, island roads...things are definitely getting EASIER. My legs are feeling it right now as we get ready to head back to Vancouver on the ferry...tomorrow, back to my weekday gym routine. My wife and I did allow ourselves a few beers as a reward for our hard work in the garden, so all is not PERFECT with the diet aspect of the plan, but whatever...its a long weekend after all. :)

Pants are starting to fit quite loosely, and my belt is starting to run out of notches. Clothes from my "skinny" days that have been languishing in the darker recesses of my closet are now part of my active wardrobe. Thus far, this whole fitness journey has exceeded my expectations. Highlight of my post-FIRE life so far, no doubt.

That is some awesome progress. I still have a pack of "Shit I'm Too Fat To Wear" clothes, and look forward to replacing all of my stuff with those by April.

To everyone else, I've got you added to the tracking post. Welcome, and keep being awesome!!

bigalsmith101

• Pencil Stache
  • Yes, that's really my face.
    • No Jobs, No Responsibilities, No Better Time then Now
« Reply #363 on: February 09, 2015, 08:03:42 PM »
I have figured out the 1 gallon of water thing for when I'm at work. Need to figure it out for while I'm at home.
Ordered exercise bike!

I'm confused. You did WHAT!?

jordanread

« Reply #364 on: February 09, 2015, 08:10:06 PM »
Ordered exercise bike!

I'm confused. You did WHAT!?
http://forum.mrmoneymustache.com/index.php?topic=28879.msg527506.msg#527506

Kaydedid

• Stubble
« Reply #365 on: February 09, 2015, 08:51:59 PM »
Hi there!  I'm having a baby in the beginning of March, probably a c-section, so goals are more about regaining ground than advancing.

By the end of 2015:

Average >10 miles/week on treadmill
At least 1/2 of the treadmill time jogging, not power walking
Not exactly fitness related, but get in 3 large servings minimum of veggies a day, even in the winter
Be able to do 20 full pushups in 1 set
Continue with physical therapy for hips

I'd like to make a weight goal, but am in recovery for an eating disorder so am still not sure about what size my body normally is.  I've lost weight during this pregnancy (5-10lbs.), so assuming recovery keeps going ok I'll probably end up losing more.  It'd make jogging a lot easier, although I've managed to be really active so far even at a 'morbidly obese' weight.  The only issue is my hips, which have always been super weak and easily injured (even when thin, although the extra weight does exacerbate it).

Wiggle

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #366 on: February 10, 2015, 09:32:06 AM »
My goals for 2015:
Enter the 1000 pound club (currently sitting at around 800-even)
Maintain or lower weight (180 currently)
Reduce body-fat (currently 10 mm fold at about 60mm to right of navel, going to change to multi-point to be more accurate)
Complete century bike ride this summer (did a metric Century last year)
15 bodyweight + 45lbs dips (current max is 9)

I'm probably being a bit ambitious but I'd rather aim for something and slightly miss it than try for something easy.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #367 on: February 10, 2015, 09:57:31 AM »
Adding 5 pounds to all my dumbbell exercises today and 10 pounds to barbell and machine exercises. Feeling stronger.

E_Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #368 on: February 10, 2015, 08:15:23 PM »
Here's where I am:

* Regular vitamin consumption Done.
* Go for a walk each weekend day. Averaging one walk/weekend. Need to get more exercise time in. Weather has been awful--hence exercise bike. When it's horrible outside, I will be exercising inside!
* Drink a gallon of water a day. Accomplished 4/7 days out of the week. Will attack my telecommute day next.
* Track my food. Activated MyFitnessPal, got frustrated with having to log everything. We cook a lot and I hate entering all of those recipes. Any ideas?
* Lose 1 lb/week (on average). Starting weight: 169.4
* Reclaim my lunch hours for ME--exercise time or not. Goal half accomplished.
* Visit the gym for weights 2x week. Done. Feeling good!

The one thing that's been defeating me at the gym is crunches/situps. Any ideas for alternate exercises? The triceps exercises that you suggested, JordanRead, are working a treat!

rocketpj

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #369 on: February 11, 2015, 01:06:30 AM »
Gym's been going well, as has cycling.  I'm not quite read to start the ocean swimming, since it is too damn cold still.

I'm having a hard time getting in 3 workouts every week, mostly due to my work schedule.  In a 2 week cycle I work Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Sat, Sun.  Lots of days off, but I haven't been able to figure out a way to get in a solid workout 6 times in 2 weeks while leaving good rests between workouts (of at least one day).  I can get in five without problem, and have been topping it off with lots of biking and hiking when I can manage it.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #370 on: February 11, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »
Hit a 405lb freeweight squat today, well below parallel and beltless/strapless.

Cromacster

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #371 on: February 11, 2015, 09:36:18 AM »
Hit a 405lb freeweight squat today, well below parallel and beltless/strapless.

Nice Job!  It's always fun when you hit the next weight where it's all 45lb plates!  (Unless you are using 55lb or 100lb plates)

I should be there soon!

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #372 on: February 11, 2015, 03:39:59 PM »
Can someone recommend some good books or YouTube videos on weight lifting? I'm not a beginner but I've never lifted too seriously. Prior to my move to the d.c. area a few months ago, I went to the very unmustachian KokoFitClub which really helped motivate my weight loss/instill good gym habits but now I just sort of aimlessly lift because I'm not following a program at all. Also, I used to be in the military and am familiar with a variety of free weight exercises. I just always did what the guys I went to the gym with were doing so I never learned anything about why we were doing things.

If you don't know what KoKo is, it's like a boutique gym where you get a thumb drive that goes in the cardio machines or weight machine and tells you what to do exactly and every 12 sessions you do a strengthen test so your weight can be adjusted, but it's not something you can do forever. At less than a year of regular attendance both DH and I were already hitting weight limits on some exercises.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated bonus points for any books that are popular enough for the library or available on kindle unlimited (free trial)

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #373 on: February 11, 2015, 07:07:49 PM »
Today I walked for a little over 3 miles at random inclines and I don't feel exhausted.  I am excited. I can definitely see a toning in my legs and that is motivating. I only dropped a few lbs so it is slow progress in that respect, but I haven't exactly been dieting either.  I can also run for 3 minutes, barely, but I couldn't even run for 10 secs so that is progress. I do need to start adding other things to my routine now so I may add the kettlebells swings in the rotation. These I can do at home.

Looks like everyone is making great progress. 

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #374 on: February 12, 2015, 07:27:25 AM »
Can someone recommend some good books or YouTube videos on weight lifting? I'm not a beginner but I've never lifted too seriously. Prior to my move to the d.c. area a few months ago, I went to the very unmustachian KokoFitClub which really helped motivate my weight loss/instill good gym habits but now I just sort of aimlessly lift because I'm not following a program at all. Also, I used to be in the military and am familiar with a variety of free weight exercises. I just always did what the guys I went to the gym with were doing so I never learned anything about why we were doing things.

If you don't know what KoKo is, it's like a boutique gym where you get a thumb drive that goes in the cardio machines or weight machine and tells you what to do exactly and every 12 sessions you do a strengthen test so your weight can be adjusted, but it's not something you can do forever. At less than a year of regular attendance both DH and I were already hitting weight limits on some exercises.

Anyway, any help would be appreciated bonus points for any books that are popular enough for the library or available on kindle unlimited (free trial)

It's really hard to read about a lift and then go do it in the gym. Even just watching videos, they're nice to watch but you're going to be screwing up a million ways. CrossFit helped me a ton, but we had an amazing coach (one of the ones who's certified to train other coaches) and I've been to a lot of sub-par boxes too. So YMMV. It's expensive, but that doesn't mean it's not mustachian. The CrossFit website has a lot of videos about technique for the lifts though, with a lot of the cues and things to look out for.

Their forum also has a whole critique section where you can post videos of your lifts to improve your technique.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #375 on: February 12, 2015, 09:02:53 AM »
I should have been more clear I don't need help with techniques or how to use equipment. I need an actual plan that isn't today I'm going to do leg exercises and tomorrow I'm going to do arm exercises. Obviously that is not an effective plan.

I have read a lot about proper nutrition and have lost 50 lbs in the past 10 months. Now I want to learn more about proper workout techniques.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 09:04:43 AM by twbird18 »

eyePod

• Pencil Stache
    • Flipping A Dollar
« Reply #376 on: February 12, 2015, 11:14:35 AM »
I should have been more clear I don't need help with techniques or how to use equipment. I need an actual plan that isn't today I'm going to do leg exercises and tomorrow I'm going to do arm exercises. Obviously that is not an effective plan.

I have read a lot about proper nutrition and have lost 50 lbs in the past 10 months. Now I want to learn more about proper workout techniques.

Ah, OK. I guess it slightly depends on your goals. Is it just weight loss? Is it increase lifts? I don't want to beat a dead horse, but CF has been the best single way for me to get in shape. I peaked during that time frame fitness-wise and it tremendously helped my volleyball game.

Now, I don't have the free time so I'm just adding in heavy lifts with my regular fitness. Explosive movements, etc.

CF is a great method for general fitness. They like to think that they're not going to be the best in any one thing, but you'll be pretty good in a bunch of things.

Peacefulwarrior

• Stubble
« Reply #377 on: February 12, 2015, 01:54:35 PM »
Have been kinda busy so haven't updated here much. I'm totally on track though. Getting at least 10.000 steps in every day, lifting weights 5 days a week, every meal is precisely measured out the night before. Veins are starting to show up nicely on my abs now. I plan to finish my diet the 1. of April and have hit about 6% body fat at that point. Rock on everybody!

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #378 on: February 13, 2015, 05:58:46 AM »
I did pretty well this week. I hit 10k steps 6 times, but only hit my goal of 15k once. It's just too cold outside.

Went to the gym and lifted weights 3 times.

I can run 1.5 miles in a passing time for my age group if I was still on the navy, but I use the term run loosely. I can do a lot better.

Ate well, lost 1lb this week.

Exhale

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #379 on: February 14, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
Jan 2015 goals
  • Lose 25lbs
  • Take a barre workout class six days/wk
  • Walk minimum of four miles/day
  • Mindful healthy eating

Accomplished:
  • Lost five lbs
  • Took barre workout class six days/wk
  • Walked four-seven miles/day
  • Ate mindfully (but needed to add one "cheat" day/week for an indulgence)

Feb 2015 goals
  • Find and then maintain healthy weight
  • Excel in (vs. just surviving!) barre workout class six days/week
  • Continue to walk minimum of two miles/day
  • Continue mindful healthy eating
  • Gradually release the need for a "cheat" day

The reason for the update re: weight
  • After losing five lbs since Jan (in addition to the 20lbs lost since Nov), my weigh loss has stopped (no change to activity/calorie intake, etc.) Note: According to my height/age/gender, I'm supposed to lose another 20 lbs
  • And yet my clothing size continues to drop (was a size 14 in Nov, now a size 6 in Feb)
  • So it seems my weight may no longer be a helpful indicator of fitness for me
  • Perhaps clothing size is more accurate?

Question: Have other had this experience? If so, how do you assess your healthy weight and/or fitness level?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:23:57 AM by Exhale »

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #380 on: February 14, 2015, 10:18:07 AM »
Hit a squat PR! 425 x 1, sans belt, great depth. It was a grinder compared to the 405 I hit a while back.

jordanread

« Reply #381 on: February 15, 2015, 05:27:09 PM »
My goals for 2015:
Enter the 1000 pound club (currently sitting at around 800-even)
Maintain or lower weight (180 currently)
Reduce body-fat (currently 10 mm fold at about 60mm to right of navel, going to change to multi-point to be more accurate)
Complete century bike ride this summer (did a metric Century last year)
15 bodyweight + 45lbs dips (current max is 9)

I'm probably being a bit ambitious but I'd rather aim for something and slightly miss it than try for something easy.

Hey, ambition is awesome!! And we can always revisit if you so desire. I've got you added. Do you have specific goals for the bench press, squat, and deadlift?

Accomplished:
  • Lost five lbs
  • Took barre workout class six days/wk
  • Walked four-seven miles/day
  • Ate mindfully (but needed to add one "cheat" day/week for an indulgence)

Feb 2015 goals
  • Find and then maintain healthy weight
  • Excel in (vs. just surviving!) barre workout class six days/week
  • Continue to walk minimum of two miles/day
  • Continue mindful healthy eating
  • Gradually release the need for a "cheat" day

The reason for the update re: weight
  • After losing five lbs since Jan (in addition to the 20lbs lost since Nov), my weigh loss has stopped (no change to activity/calorie intake, etc.) Note: According to my height/age/gender, I'm supposed to lose another 20 lbs
  • And yet my clothing size continues to drop (was a size 14 in Nov, now a size 6 in Feb)
  • So it seems my weight may no longer be a helpful indicator of fitness for me
  • Perhaps clothing size is more accurate?

Question: Have other had this experience? If so, how do you assess your healthy weight and/or fitness level?

Thanks!

Welcome to the gauntlet, and congratulations on your accomplishments so far. I went ahead and lightly extrapolated for your yearly goals. As far as the weight plateauing, but the clothes still shrinking, I've found body fat percentage to be a great metric. Regardless of the specific accuracy, as long as you use the same method, it's a great measurement. There are some outstanding references and a great discussion up thread on metrics. I highly suggest reading through them and asking questions.

I don't know about lifting programs specifically, but I've spent a lot of time lately checking out some of the plans from Neila Rey. The levelling up and stories from the newly released (and free) Hero's Journey looks very interesting. I can see myself doing some of these as I continue my bodyweight training.

For those of you who aren't into the Convict Conditioning steps, there are a few more structured body weight and HIIT programs available at
http://neilarey.com/programs.html

I've also gone ahead and updated my goals to include a weight and body fat percentage. I have been sucking this month, so I need to figure something out for those times when I can't bike in. My entire program goes out the window when I can't bike in, and that opportunity (at least as far as commuting) may go away entirely soon. Grrr. So that's my challenge for the month. I do have other stuff in place for the no drinking thing, plus I have a physical on Wednesday. I'll post my stats here for accountability and as a benchmark for the awesome success I'm going to have this year.

BZB

• Bristles
« Reply #382 on: February 15, 2015, 07:50:34 PM »
I'll join in. I finished the first week of the beginner class of You Are Your Own Gym. My current goal is to finish this 10-week program, and also to add in a long walk or some kind of cardio at least 3 times a week.

Nancy

« Reply #383 on: February 16, 2015, 09:30:27 AM »
I'm still making steady progress. I've really noticed a change in my upper body strength. While biking in the snow, it's much easier for me to retain control of the front wheel. Yoga has definitely improved my posture, tight iliotibial bands, and insanely tight calf muscles. I ordered the you are your own gym DVD from the library, since it seems like something even I could do. Still have to research how to put on some weight. Onward!
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:29:58 PM by Nancy »

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #384 on: February 16, 2015, 11:39:35 AM »
Tweaked a knee while on a 12km run yesterday. I am not pleased. Will have to dial back the leg related cardio for a few days. Hope this heals on it's own and it is not a structural injury. Did I mention that I'm pissed off about this? F***. Half marathon looming in April.

On a positive note, my body fat percentage continues to drop - I am on the second to last notch on my belt, and there is only one pair of pants from my skinny days that are still a bit snug...they are a 30" waist, so my waist size goal is getting close. My wife poked my belly the other day and proclaimed "there's nothing left of you!". Yeah, it's a pretty different story from 6 months ago...

Probably 17% body fat percentage or a bit below...there seems like there may be an "ab-fest" any week now. ;)

Diet has been rock solid, with few "off the wagon" incidences. Lot's of lean proteins...lentil and bean based soups are on a steady rotation... Weight training seems to be a nice groove. Just gotta keep this up till June 1st. Then I will allow myself to indulge somewhat during the Summer...

So much badassity in this thread.

2Birds1Stone

• Walrus Stache
  • K Thnx Bye
« Reply #385 on: February 16, 2015, 11:51:18 AM »
Tweaked a knee while on a 12km run yesterday. I am not pleased. Will have to dial back the leg related cardio for a few days. Hope this heals on it's own and it is not a structural injury. Did I mention that I'm pissed off about this? F***. Half marathon looming in April.

On a positive note, my body fat percentage continues to drop - I am on the second to last notch on my belt, and there is only one pair of pants from my skinny days that are still a bit snug...they are a 30" waist, so my waist size goal is getting close. My wife poked my belly the other day and proclaimed "there's nothing left of you!". Yeah, it's a pretty different story from 6 months ago...

Probably 17% body fat percentage or a bit below...there seems like there may be an "ab-fest" any week now. ;)

Diet has been rock solid, with few "off the wagon" incidences. Lot's of lean proteins...lentil and bean based soups are on a steady rotation... Weight training seems to be a nice groove. Just gotta keep this up till June 1st. Then I will allow myself to indulge somewhat during the Summer...

So much badassity in this thread.

You sir are KILLING it!!

I was able to hit a life long bench press PR today, got 300lbs for 4 full range of motion reps, no bounce, no spotter help.

Feels good to get stronger, now if only I could get my diet in check =D

alleykat

• Bristles
« Reply #386 on: February 18, 2015, 11:30:16 AM »
I have been keeping steady.  I have been going to the gym every week, anyway between 2 :( to 5 times a week.  I really want to get it to a solid 4.  However, I am finding myself stronger.  I can now run 3 mins straight and my goal for the rest of February is to make it 5 mins straight.  So far, I have only been walking but varying the inclines and speed each time. I haven't really lost a lot of weight but I am getting toner.  I am having some challenges on cutting back the junk food.  Work in progress. 

I haven't been really specific about goals and have fluttered around, however, in March I will think about specific goals to hit.  I will take the rest of February and see what is coming easy to me and work to improve and add in March.

Also, to heal my tendonitis, I have bought a theraband flexbar.  I have been using it for the last few days and already see a diff in my pain.  Keeping my fingers crossed.  When I started it, I was only able to do a set of 15 but this morning finished 3 sets of 15.  The required amount per day. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will heal my arm. So tired of not being about to do things because of the pain.  I got the lowest bar weight for now and will look to do other exercises with it as well. 

starbuck

• Bristles
« Reply #387 on: February 18, 2015, 01:36:21 PM »
I have done nothing but shovel snow for the last 4 weeks, with the occassional yoga class to ease my aching back. So I guess that counts as prep for my chin up goal, right?

Ascotillion

• Stubble
« Reply #388 on: February 18, 2015, 03:21:45 PM »
My rugby team does amazing warmups that leave me extremely exhausted but the bulk of the time is drills and learning about the game itself, which is mentally challenging but not the workout I'm craving, but they're organising twice-weekly "extra fitness" sessions for some of us doughy new players. So starting on Sunday I get an extra hour of working out in the morning plus my usual hour of getting yelled at to keep my freestyle arms straight in the evening!

Good thing my bed is comfortable, I feel like all I do at home anymore is crawl in there and sleep :P

jordanread

« Reply #389 on: February 18, 2015, 07:31:36 PM »
I laugh at those of you who consider yourselves not doing well. Only because you can't see how awesome you are!!

On my front, I made some more moves that have resulted in a more direct and immediate financial impact. I had my physical today, and my doctor (rightly) didn't trust that all (and I do mean all) of my stats that need work can be fixed with nutrition...specifically, not drinking. So to that end, I announced to the office that I was giving 10 to 1 odds ($10 max) on me dropping my BMI by 2 points over 2 weeks. 28.7 is my current number. I didn't know, until just now exactly what that entailed. Granted...I kind of cheated. I was fasting, my measurements were taken in the morning. I've weighed myself daily, and 203lbs is on the high side. I usually average about 198lbs. That means I need to get down to ~185lbs by 3/4/15, or else I need to pay 4 people $100 bucks each. I'm not going to offer that same thing here, just because 15lbs seems like a lot to lose in 2 weeks without doing the weird things that wrestlers, boxers, and UFC fighters do to get into a specific weight bracket. However, I will give 5 to 1 odds ($1 maximum) to anyone here who wants to support (or...technically...root for my failure :P) me. I will drop below 190 by March 4th, and my average for the week following will stay under 190. But only if you quote this post in the next 12 hours (and you will be responsible for that $1USD). I know, I'm being sneaky, but I'm also going to hedge my bets.

Who's in?

horsepoor

• Magnum Stache
  • That old chestnut.
« Reply #390 on: February 18, 2015, 08:16:54 PM »
Hah, way to motivate yourself, Jordan!  Will be entertaining to see how this pans out.

I seem to be keeping off the 3# or so I lost doing Whole30, even though I've been eating kind of shitty.  Our fridge is dying, so we're limited to keeping veg and dairy in a little wine cooler for the next 24 days, not that I'm counting.  I need to clean up on the eating front and push ahead on losing at least the other 5# I committed to.  10# would be better.

Last night I hit the gym for the first time in a while.  I wouldn't need the membership if I had a rower and a Bosu ball, but the honest truth is that I work harder at the gym than I do at home.  I need to make a point of getting there at least 1x per week, in addition to 1x working out at home, and going for at least two runs.  I'm also riding my big horse about 3x a week and my young horse 5x per week when weather allows, as well as prepping the garden on weekends.

On the goals, I'm up to 9 reps on both the deck squats and the single-legged deadlifts, but not quite satisfied with my form on either one.  Focusing on not rebalancing with the deadlifts puts amazing demands on my feet and ankles, so even after I hit the 10-rep goal, I'll have plenty of work to do increasing the ease with which I can perform these maneuvers.

lucky-girl

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #391 on: February 19, 2015, 04:36:15 AM »
This month I've been averaging less mileage on foot, and more time taking the bus. I am eager to get my bike set up with winter tires so I can keep up with a higher ratio of self-propelled commutes. I may decide that the 10,000 steps goal may be too restrictive- hitting it really depends on my walking to and from work most days. So I may decide to find some other metric to make sure I'm consistently incorporating that kind of activity in my day-to-day. We'll see.

I have been making progress at the gym, and continue to get in two days a week. during my last session we did some inclined pull-ups- so getting closer to my goal of a "real" pull-up! It is feeling within reach.

And I think I'm losing some weight as well, and making some progress on the body fat front. Nothing too dramatic yet.

I've still been getting out skiiing regularly- proabably averaging 2-3 times a week. All this snow has been amazing- the conditions are perfect. (My goal is two gym/structured sessions of exercise a week, as well as two less-structured/outside/social workouts).

Thanks everyone for the ongoing support and encouragement!

kpd905

• Handlebar Stache
« Reply #392 on: February 19, 2015, 06:26:02 AM »
I squatted 200 lbs for 3 reps the other day, my first time going that high in a few years.  Now on to the 2 plate club.

My fiance has also been making pretty nice progress on the squats.  About 6 weeks ago we started and she was squatting the bar or putting 5 pounders on each side.  Last night she did 5 reps with 25's on each side, and 2 reps with 30 on each side.

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #393 on: February 19, 2015, 01:08:59 PM »
nice jordan.  i'd do some high protein low carbs non stop for the next 2 weeks thats a lot to drop.  i've been pretty stagnant around 200 at the end of each week before my cheat day hoping to break thru the 200 wall this saturday morning and then hit up the 195 wall in 2 weeks.

E_Monkey

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #394 on: February 19, 2015, 09:04:24 PM »
Weight: 168. Down 1.4!

Clearing a space for the exercise bike. Decluttering means that the house is also losing weight.

DSKla

• 5 O'Clock Shadow
« Reply #395 on: February 19, 2015, 09:23:49 PM »

For lifting, I highly recommend Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. It is highly effective, and more importantly, gives tons of great options to scale and personalize based on your individual goals, and even how you're feeling on a given day.

Cannot emphasize it enough: if you want an effective lifting program, just buy 5/3/1. Be pepared to read everything, check your ego, and adjust to your needs. But this is way better than the usual recommendations I see floating around the internet for 5x5 or Starting Strength.

twbird18

• Stubble
« Reply #396 on: February 20, 2015, 02:05:17 PM »

For lifting, I highly recommend Jim Wendler's 5/3/1. It is highly effective, and more importantly, gives tons of great options to scale and personalize based on your individual goals, and even how you're feeling on a given day.

Cannot emphasize it enough: if you want an effective lifting program, just buy 5/3/1. Be pepared to read everything, check your ego, and adjust to your needs. But this is way better than the usual recommendations I see floating around the internet for 5x5 or Starting Strength.
Thanks! I will check it out this weekend.

This month I've been averaging less mileage on foot, and more time taking the bus. I am eager to get my bike set up with winter tires so I can keep up with a higher ratio of self-propelled commutes. I may decide that the 10,000 steps goal may be too restrictive- hitting it really depends on my walking to and from work most days.

I'm having the same issue with my step goal. Walking 15-20k steps in a day is highly dependent on my walking to and from the commuter rail which I never do in the rain, snow, or <20°. That 2 mile walk is a little too much for me in bad weather.

I went to the gym only 2 times this week, but I moved a lot of stuff out of my house for staging over the weekend plus did a lot of painting, which should count for something.

My diet has been unhealthy (for me at least) the last couple days, but that happens every few months for me. I'll get back on track this weekend- so no reportable weight loss, but holding steady.

No progress on my 1.5 mile time either. Gave my leg a rest because my shin swelling was more than normal.

Jon_Snow

• Magnum Stache
  • I am no man’s chair.
« Reply #397 on: February 20, 2015, 03:33:54 PM »
Well, Friday is here and that marks the end of my 5 day gym week. Today was chest, shoulders, and triceps - which always kills me - so I will enjoy a few glasses of well deserved red wine tonight, and no workouts of any kind tomorrow.

Sunday my wife and I are going to try a 15k run around a local urban lake. Given that last weekend I hurt my knee this might seem a bit excessive, but the injury has rather magically disappeared - I've been testing it on the treadmill at the gym for the past 3 days and it feels fine. I am starting to wonder if it was some sort of pinched nerve - I can't really think of a knee injury which had me hobbling on Monday of this week, would be virtually gone by Wednesday...weird.

Don't think I will do a review of my goals this Sunday - I'll wait till the following Sunday...cause I think I'm gonna be close to, if not hitting on all my goals, as nebulous as they are. Have a great weekend everyone!

boarder42

• Walrus Stache
« Reply #398 on: February 26, 2015, 06:12:24 AM »
Well i officially crossed 200 lbs this morning.  I am now happy to say i'm at 199.2 - 14.2 lbs to go ... BMI currently a healthy 24.2... i have an 18.5% BF number though so i hope that continues to fall with the weight loss.

Kriegsspiel

• Pencil Stache
« Reply #399 on: February 26, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
I was able to hit a life long bench press PR today, got 300lbs for 4 full range of motion reps, no bounce, no spotter help.

Nice dude.

I cleaned 255 this week for a PR, the day after humping up and down snow-covered hills for 4 miles. Byah! I am also feeling a 350 bench right around the corner, after smoking 335 yesterday.

Wow, a phone plan for fifteen bucks!